2016-17 NHL Season

It's "Hockey Night in Canada". ;-)

So what are you watching?? Heaven help you if it's Brian Lawton's horrible haircut that's even worse than Don Cherry's ego. Grape's sport coats were buried in the 70's when he was falsely accused of being successful. What's CBC's excuse now??

Watchin' Ed vs Win old timers game, heritage classic. Good stuff. NHL Net.

Roywhite Roywhite
Oct '16

Re: 2016-17 NHL Season

AV has the new uniform picked out for this years team.

Denis Denis
Dec '16

Denis, do they come in size 2T? My daughter would look adorable in one (-;

ianimal ianimal
Dec '16

Lol ianimal, she would be more intimidating than some of the current Ranger d-men. I've been a Ranger fan for decades, but I can't route for this roster. This team makes the smurfs of the Herb Brooks era look like goons.

Denis Denis
Dec '16

ianimal - Not only do they have them, ones in that size are mostly game worn...

Den, you'd find something to complain about after a cup win. I'm not defending them (pun intended) but Jeez, They're 3rd overall in the league.

BTW wish my wife could wear a jersey like that, she'd need Hanks size now adays....

Roywhite Roywhite
Dec '16

You're right I do find things to complain about with my favorite team, but I was disgusted to see the "franchise" goalie get piledrived, and the D-men on the ice skate the other way. Rick Nash who missed a good part of a season with a concussion from a cheap shot was the only guy to even attempt to do something. 3rd now, but they will get ground into submission and injuries will pile up as the season, and playoffs move along. Can't believe I dislike a coach more than Tortorella!

Denis Denis
Dec '16

You know when Hank got run I expected to see someone jump Eakin (the little weasel) then I figured NY got a PP, then I thought back in the day he wouldn't have made it to the circle before gettin his ass kicked. So much for progress...
Disagree on ur predictions and AV, Nash tonite, bring 'em on!

Roywhite Roywhite
Dec '16

That was a cheap shot! A few years back, they would of had to take that guy off the ice with a stretcher.

The Rangers were averaging 5 goals a game early this season, they may peak again come playoff time.

Let's Go PENS! #1

Hot corner Hot corner
Dec '16

There is an Interesting game tonite. Clb vs Minn, 1st time 2 teams with lengthy (12+) win streaks have played each other.
Outdoor games Sun and Mon, usually a nice distraction from the mundane.
Oh yeah blue shirts tonite also!

Roywhite Roywhite
Dec '16

Jack Capuano finally gets fired, not sure what took so long, and kind of odd coming off the last game. Hopefully Snow is next.

Ranger fans any payback for Eakin tonight? I predict none.

Denis Denis
Jan '17

0. As in zero.
AV, discussing the incident, there was no retaliation because its not how they play. The league has moved from that type of play and is better for it.
Oh well.
If the game is decided with a few minutes to go, maybe JT does something, doubt it.

Roywhite Roywhite
Jan '17

Agree zero. JT isn't going to do anything. Glad he went after Shaw, but all he was interested in after Shaw dropped the gloves was holding on and not getting hit.

Denis Denis
Jan '17

Roy you watching this? The rangers D is a total embarrassment! Someone forgot to tell them there is a game tonight.

Denis Denis
Jan '17

Yeah I'm watchin. Disgusted. Almost threw the remote at the tv.
Hear Ron say they need a Glass like player?
7-5!

Roywhite Roywhite
Jan '17

And it's a take way for a one on none breakaway shot!!!

GOAL!!

Wayne Simmonds, the All Start MVP - in OVERTIME!!

NYR handled league leaders today 2-1 on hockey day in america. 4th overall now.

Roywhite Roywhite
Feb '17

Squad 51 emergency, multiple injuries, 32nd n 8th, see blueshirts, time out 3/9.

Roywhite Roywhite
Mar '17

So what exactly are you trying to say, Roywhite?? ;-)

Sugar Sugar
Mar '17

Ha, don't get catty with me.
Hartford Icelanders has a nice ring to it....

Roywhite Roywhite
Mar '17

Hey, no need to go all species on me. ;-)

I'm just confused. What's all the need for the disaster recovery crew??

Iceland is nice place by the way. Hartford was not a very fun rink, right in the middle of a high rise building.

Sugar Sugar
Mar '17

Sugar, the injury bug hit NYC, 6 starters scratched last night, so I called the EMT's to MSG for the NYR's.

I've been to the Hartford rink, in a mall, similar to a movie theater, odd place and it sucked.

BTW, theres a tiny man standing next to your hockey fan cats butt, pretty funny when u see it.

Roywhite Roywhite
Mar '17

I'm pretty sure the Rags were in Raleigh last night. You should have called the cops, cuz they got robbed, lol.

ianimal ianimal
Mar '17

ianimal - That makes the assumption they had something to steal to begin with...

Roywhite - Sugar happens to be standing next to a pic of my grandfather by the way. What her butt is cutting off is him holding me as a baby. But otherwise as far as bugs go, all the EMT's and all the King's men can't put the Rangers back together again. ;-)

GC, get back to me when the Broad Street Butthurts get within two games of the wild card spot.... (-;

ianimal ianimal
Mar '17

I'm still not understanding how these Fishsticks are in, and we're out. Can I just eat them??

ianimal - You gotz point, human?

Sugar Sugar
Mar '17

I'm glad AV finally saw the light and brought up Glass. It was getting embarrassing watching them get pushed around, and no one sticking up for each other.

The NHL refs continue to be a joke, how the hell elbowing a goalie in the face who is in the crease in not interference is mind boggling. I am 100% certain the only reason he didn't overturn it on replay was because he was so emphatic with Ranta when he argued, and didn't want to make himself look bad, which he did anyway. These refs continue let their ego's get in the way, and the NHL does nothing.

Denis Denis
Mar '17

When no one sticks up for each other, it's the coach's lack of leadership as much as anyone else. If AV brings it up publically, he's probably said it in the private locker room 20 times. Something else is wrong if it gets to that point. And it sure can't be blamed on any ref.

How can the Senators be even more useless than the Rangers? Put it away, close the deal, or go home. You had it. Now you blew it.

The Rangers might be soft, but give them their sticks and I'll take bets on them against the 100 members of the US Senate (-;

ianimal ianimal
Mar '17

Criticize NY (and AV, among all time coachs in wins) all you want but not sure your point of being soft in what the nhl has become, nobody carries enforcers any more. They are built for speed and offesive talent at the expense of fisticuffs. Yes Glass has proven worthy recently but he'll be gone when injuries are healed. A team with injuries who are still 6th in the league and among leaders in GF and GA (just don't mention the PP). Maybe NY gets pushed around every 1 in 10 games they still win 7-8 of them.

Roywhite Roywhite
Mar '17

ianimal - The US Senate averages 61 years in age. That's like pitting some nursing home residents against Usain Bolt in a sprint. The Ottawa Senators instead should have won the game they were set to just as your diaper gang should have won theirs and helped out in the standings. But Nnnnnnnooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks a lot... ;-)

I know the game has changed a lot since the days of Fotiu, but I don't think they are going far in the playoffs in the pre glass lineup. When you can run the franchise Goalie, and the D-men skate the other way, and when Miller gets chased around by 4 different Canadians and his teammates are nowhere in sight, other teams notice.

GC AV can tell them anything he wants in the locker room, but if you don't have the guys in the lineup willing or capable of stepping up it's meaningless.

Denis Denis
Mar '17

Another point for Jagr tonite, most by a 40+ yr old, Howe 2nd. Amazing.

Roywhite Roywhite
Mar '17

Is Neil Smith the new Howard Hughes? It looks like his assistant had the razor break on his sunken cheeks when the institutional food left him a bit wanting. My katdar went off and says he might have some issues back at the "facility". Anyone know the right agency to report this to? I'm quite concerned.

White Shoes White Shoes
Mar '17

...wait, what!?...

Roywhite Roywhite
Mar '17

Roywhite - did you see the NBC Sports network broadcast this afternoon? If not, try to get some rebroadcasts. Neil Smith was one of the between period commentators. He looked ancient, was unshaven, borderline emaciated, and not his usual self. After you see the pictures, you tell me my cat doesn't have a point. ;-)

1 down, 15 to go... LGR!!!

ianimal ianimal
Apr '17

"15 to go" --

Human, you gotz warped sense of humor...

Sugar Sugar
Apr '17

Henrik! Henrik!

ianimal ianimal
Apr '17

Sudden death hockey. The greatest show on ice. Shouldn't have come to this, yet here we are. LGR!

ianimal ianimal
Apr '17

The ice titled the wrong way towards the end of the game. Holden should have hammered Plekanec in the crease since he didn't have a stick at the end of the 3rd, very lame effort on his part.

Denis Denis
Apr '17

Those new sticks break too easy, Krieder got a penalty for breaking one and Holden broke his on the goal scorer. So many goals have gone in off of Holden this year, that puck was heading to his feet and couldnt play it without a stick, the Canadian got it it first.

Roywhite Roywhite
Apr '17

He should have knocked that Canadian out of the crease, otherwise all he's doing is taking up space, and making it more difficult for Henrik. Staal and Holden are the worst of a horrible Defense, why does AV have them out there at the end of the game? 58 shots against, they deserved to lose, totally outplayed at the end.

Denis Denis
Apr '17

What a pathetic effort by the Rangers tonight. Looked like they came out to play a preseason game. I hope Henrik gets traded for his own good. He deserves much better than this. With AV's extension, I don't see anything changing soon. Team is going backwards, looking at another first round exit.

Denis Denis
Apr '17

A sad display, to be sure, Denis.

ianimal ianimal
Apr '17

With their superior puck watching skills, the Rangers are looking to go out early.

If you aren't such a big AV fan, just remember it could be Torts letting a President's Trophy slip through the fingers. And now in Columbus they may be looking for a broom. With some serious lack of post season experience, if anything Torts has hurt instead of helped the youngsters. But admittedly, that was an exciting game.

Of all things, Toronto is making one of the most exciting series. The youngsters hanging on to hopeful goal tending with some real youth enthusiasm vs a Washington team of vets playing as a unit with a solid goalie. I predict even more over time games there. Fans are the winner either way.

White Shoes White Shoes
Apr '17

@white shoes, I hated Tortorella too. With him and Him AV coaching the Rangers they both were better at destroying young players, than developing them. At least with Tortorella there was some team toughness. This team has no heart except for Henrik, the fourth line was the best line in the first period, then you hardly saw them the rest of the game. He has Holden out there for the most crucial part of game 2, and then he sits him for this game. Toronto has a very bright future with all that young talent and Lou at the helm. In my mind the its the opposite for the Rangers, sooner or later Lundquist will slow down, still stuck with Staal, and Giradi for a few more years eating up salary cap, and passing the puck to other teams, and AV has a contract extension. Ugh.

Denis Denis
Apr '17

Those Leafs vs. Caps games have been fabulous.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Apr '17

4 overtime games, Wow!

Denis Denis
Apr '17

Much better effort by the Rags last night.

ianimal ianimal
Apr '17

Last night there were more than once where les Habs was the one standing around watching the puck. They'll get an equally quick exit if they keep that up.

A much better game by NY because it looked like they played their game, skate, shoot, puck handle, shoot wide for tips and rebounds.
I'm gunna give a shout out to Hayes n Krieder, "wake up, the playoffs started!"

Roywhite Roywhite
Apr '17

Much better, have to admit I was surprised, I thought they were done. Agree Roywhite, Krieder looks so tentative out there, he needs to get back on his game. I'd still like to see Glass stay in the lineup.

Denis Denis
Apr '17

Desperate times require desperate measures.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Apr '17

Whoa-oh-oh...

ianimal ianimal
Apr '17

Bonus hockey. Given the Rags's record in road Playoff OT games during the Lundqvist era, I'm not all that optimistic, unfortunately...

ianimal ianimal
Apr '17

Zuuuuuuke!!!! Whoa-oh-oh...

ianimal ianimal
Apr '17

Zuke and Hank, 1 more period to go!

Denis Denis
Apr '17

Odd that the 2 higher seeds Wash and Pitt may play each other but so be it. Like NY chances vs Bos n Ott.
Zuke is the guy if he was in the other team I'd say whay can't NY get a guy like that?!
Long live the king.

Roywhite Roywhite
Apr '17

Best 60 minute effort of the series by far last night.

ianimal ianimal
Apr '17

The Jackets were no match for the Pens. I believe the Caps are the best in the east this year, and will put the Pens to the test to see if their beat up team can lift the Cup again.

Omar Moreno Omar Moreno
Apr '17

Bring on the Ottawatts...

ianimal ianimal
Apr '17

The Caps have to get past the leafs first, I'd rather play them than the pens.

Denis Denis
Apr '17

Time to bash AV again. Who was hands down the best Ranger on offense and defense last game, Skjei. Who didn't see any Ice time at the end of the game Skjei. Who's plus 11 in the playoffs Skjei, What stiff is always out there at the end of the game when the Rangers give up the lead Holden. Who's minus -4 for the playoffs Holden, who's his partner Staal with a stellar -minus 15 for his career playoffs. Henrik gave them a chance to win the game in spite of being outshot again, but AV's coaching cost them at the end of a game again.

Denis Denis
May '17

Not only that but they went into double ot and Linburg and Buchnevich had less than 6 mins played.

Roywhite Roywhite
May '17

Yeah I know double OT bench the young guys and double shift the old guys, that makes sense?

Denis Denis
May '17

Down goes Sid. Accidentally on purpose, stick to the head. Down goes Pens, Wash back in it.

Roywhite Roywhite
May '17

Yeah with his concussion history that could be it for this year. Don't want to see anyone get injured but might be some karma there.

Denis Denis
May '17

Like it or not, no doubt abooot it, Glass is a factor.
Best of 3, LGR!

Roywhite Roywhite
May '17

Time to take one in Ottawa ... Saturday's game? Never again, OK? We should be up 3-1.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
May '17

I like it Roywhite! He makes that 4th line much better. The game has changed a lot, but I think the skilled players are more comfortable when they know the have someone on the team to keep the other players honest. I can't remember the last time I saw the Rangers physically dominate a team. Karlsson is getting unhealthier every game.

Denis Denis
May '17

Blew another one... this series should already be over. Chances are it'll be over on Tuesday.

ianimal ianimal
May '17

This series has been a real head scratcher.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
May '17

Ottawa dominated the first two games and it would have been really ugly if Lundquist wasn't on his game. Rangers dominated on their home ice so I'm thinking the outcome is Rangers win game six and Ottawa takes it in game seven at home. Ottawa is not a gritty team but it was so nice to have Neil back putting Glass in his place. Unfortunately it did cost us one goal but it needed to be done.

Jazzykatt Jazzykatt
May '17

Ottawa is a grittier team than the Rangers usually are. Neil, Methot, Phaneuf, some nastiness right there. I think the only thing Neil did was cost his team a power play trying to jump Glass. Once again AV sits skjei at the end of the game, and goes to his old slow Dmen, and another 3rd period lead evaporates.

Denis Denis
May '17

Smell that? Thats game 7 cookin'.

On my way to msg. LGR!

Roywhite Roywhite
May '17

Nice, have a great time! LGR!!

Denis Denis
May '17

Congrats to the Sens. Good luck in the conference finals.

ianimal ianimal
May '17

I hear there's great golfing in Bedminster...

OMG! Look how good the Yanks are!

Roywhite Roywhite
May '17

Lol Roywhite! Oh well, not too optimistic about the near term with the contracts the Rangers have on the books. The Playoffs still have been a lot of fun to watch. Looking forward tonight's game 7 between the Pens and the Caps. I'd like to see Ovechkin get a cup before he's done. I've also enjoyed the Predators in the Playoffs, and It would good to see them win. It's also hard not to route for Anderson after what he's been through this year, so I'll still follow closely unless it's the Pens and Ducks in the finals.

Denis Denis
May '17

I cant remember where or when but I think I had Caps n Ducks in finals but I'm nvr right.

Roywhite Roywhite
May '17

I love it when I'm wrong! Go Pens!

Omar Moreno Omar Moreno
May '17

The east final is one H E double hockey sticks of a unique series.

Roywhite Roywhite
May '17

Pens got robbed of their first goal, but scrambled the rest of the game. I'm happy they are going back to finish at home. Great series!

Omar Moreno Omar Moreno
May '17

Well ok....if no one else will....
Pens Win Pens Win Pens Win! :)

Omar Moreno Omar Moreno
May '17

We are not family here, Preds n PK in 6.

Roywhite Roywhite
May '17

Lol going to be a great series Roy. Old blood vs. Young blood. Can't wait!

Omar Moreno Omar Moreno
May '17

Must watch TV.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
May '17

Pens can go stick it. I'm sick of that bunch. That game could have gone either way and Ottawa played with more heart. Unfortunately the puck doesn't always slide your way.

I hope Nashville ends them.

Jazzykatt Jazzykatt
May '17

Ouch jazzy, don't fret the Rangers might make it next year.
Everyone I talk to, have the Predators in 6.
I'm thinking more like the Pens in 7.

Omar Moreno Omar Moreno
May '17

I think the Pens take it again, a lot of injuries for the Predators to overcome, but I'm definitely rooting for them.

Denis Denis
May '17

If not for that disallowed goal on the offside coach's challenge, I think Nashville was going to run the Pens out of their own building last night. As it is, I had my doubts Pittsburgh was going to hold on against the Preds furious comeback.

Personally, I'm not a fan of video review in hockey except for something directly related to the puck crossing the goal line or directed in with a high stick or a kicked puck. But you have to give credit to old eagle-eye Jacques Martin for spotting it...

ianimal ianimal
May '17

Omar Moreno

As much as I rooted against the Rangers when Ottawa played, I would support them against any other team. My husband is a Ranger fan and once they were out, he jumped on my Ottawa band wagon. Mind you, we watched that series in separate rooms :)

Jazzykatt Jazzykatt
May '17

Pens take the first two games. (Crickets)

Omar Moreno Omar Moreno
Jun '17

And the Preds also hold serve at home... convincingly.

Pivotal Game 5 in The Bluff tonight. PPG should be rocking.

ianimal ianimal
Jun '17

Got to say I've definitely jumped on the predator bandwagon. It's great to see a non traditional NHL town embrace hockey the way Nashville has.

Denis Denis
Jun '17

Should be a game 7. Bad call on the "No goal" in the 1st. Bbbuuuttt....Pens Win,Pens Win, Pens Win!!! Again :)

Omar Moreno Omar Moreno
Jun '17

A hugely disappointing outcome :(

maja2 maja2
Jun '17

Preds wuz robbed

Roywhite Roywhite
Jun '17

NHL refs are the worst, they always affect the finals in a bad way. At least hustle a little to get over to the other side before you blow the whistle.

Denis Denis
Jun '17

So are they going to call the state university Pens State?

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Jun '17

Goodby Girardi, about 5 years too late but better late than never. No if we can somehow buy out Staal, and trade Stephan for a bag of pucks I can start looking forward to next year.

Denis Denis
Jun '17

I'm surprised it took so long to hear the Girardi jab. ;-)

Needed to go, but sorry to see it, even more sorry he declined so much. Nobody worked harder or gave up the body as much as he, just wasnt enough.

Roywhite Roywhite
Jun '17

A bit romantic, wouldnt compare him to Munson, but a pretty good comment on Girardi.

https://apple.news/Ag1_rMMlqRQesKMma9FniHg

Roywhite Roywhite
Jun '17

No question he laid it all out there, and was tough, but I am so happy to see him go. If you could give assists to players on opposing teams he would have the top assist guy for the LA Kings when the Rangers played them in the finals. Now please Gorton find a way to trade Stepan!

Denis Denis
Jun '17

Personally, I'd compare Girardi to Munson... Roy Munson, that is (-;

ianimal ianimal
Jun '17

Agree ianimal. Watching the expansion draft tonight. Losing Grabner, or Raanta would suck!

Denis Denis
Jun '17

I don't think there's much doubt it's only going to be one or the other, Denis. Personally I don't think you have anything to worry about with Raanta, only because of someone called Marc-Andre Fleury. Secondary goaltending is not hard to find and there's enough of it around, even if they went the free agent route. Even though they could take Raanta, they don't have to. And Grabner had too good of a season at too low a price. The only way they should take Raanta is if they too Fluery only to trade him away.

Seeing a lot of rumors it's going to be Lindberg?

Denis Denis
Jun '17

Christmas in June, Girardi gone! Stepan Gone!

Denis Denis
Jun '17

The Rangers also traded away your Raanta though Denis. And didn't get a goalie in return. They've got some picks now, but is this the beginning of rebuilding? It sure doesn't look like cup contention building.

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.