stolen sign from ART (children's art studio on main)

stolen sign from ART (children's art studio on main)

Someone earlier this week stole a sign that my students and I made, right off of our front porch. It was a toilet seat that said "No Potty Talk in Art Class"(photo included). I know some of you may be reading this and feel that this is no big deal or an over reaction....just a silly sign, but the kids and I are heart broken that someone would just walk up and steal something that we all worked hard on. It's been there for well over a year and all of us are very attached to it. In the 7 years I've been here I have never had anything stolen. This is truly disheartening. If anyone knows anything about this please please contact me. I will ask the surrounding businesses to review any surveillance camera footage in hopes of finding the culprit. I am usually a very level headed and understanding person but to us this is not just a stupid sign. This was a collaborative work of art that we were all proud of. So, to the person who is responsible: You have not only stolen from me, you have stolen from my students and THAT I will NOT stand for...Miss Rebecca is looking for you and I will not rest until I find you. And when I do I will be pressing charges so that sign better make its way home before I figure out who you are. And yes that is a direct threat. YOU DONT STEAL OTHER PEOPLES ART!! ESPECIALLY FROM CHILDREN!!!!!! Put the sign back and all will be forgiven. And I will offer a reward to anyone with info that leads to it's safe return.

Miss Rebecca Miss Rebecca
Oct '16

Hello I am very sorry some one has stolen your art I will keep an eye out and about a year or two ago I went to a friends house in h-town with my bike and a Mexican stole it. I tracked him down/followed him and took it back. This is nj not Mexico/Bronx where if you see something you like you take it. I'm personally routing for trump for presedent just for this reason a lot of Mexicans are here with out green cards.they are taking all of our jobs and this has to stop.

H-town H-town
Oct '16

Such nonsense H-town. First of all not every Latin person in Hackettstown is Mexican and as a matter of fact most are not. Also, and d'oh, you can still be legal if you do not have a green card so that may have been an ignorant dig but not an accurate one.

H- town, if your racism doesn't make you unemployable, I'm pretty sure your illiteracy does.
I do hope the artwork is recovered.

Yankeefan Yankeefan
Oct '16

H-town is ignorant. Don't respond to him.

Botheredbyuu2 Botheredbyuu2
Oct '16

Didn't take long at all to bring race and politics into this. Keep on point please. It could've been a high school or kid prank as well.

Sorry that happened miss Rebecca that's a pretty low thing for someone to do

skippy skippy
Oct '16

I hope someone returns your sign...

Bessie Bessie
Oct '16

I was stranded on 519 once with a flat tire I was attempting to fix myself. A car pulled over to help me. We had a huge language barrier between us, but they offered to fix my tire. They worked together and had me up and going again in no time. They had no incentive to do this other than wanting to help.

Challah Challah
Oct '16

I am sorry to see someone who goes by the H-Town has the racist and illiterate rant as this is not the community we are. I hope other people consider the source and understand he does not represent the Hackettstown people we know and love.

Have you reported it yet? If not you should. They can go into businesses easier with their resources.

Christine Christine
Oct '16

Cute sign. I think it's a shame you created a teaching moment about behavior only to have another bad behavior take it away. I agree you MUST report it. Stealing is against the law and should not be tolerated or ignored. I hope they are caught and punished.

auntiel auntiel
Oct '16

H town. You are a horrible person!! Trump is too

cat lover cat lover
Oct '16

What the hell does Trump and Mexicans have to do with this????

I hope you get your sign back and the scoundrels responsible are held accountable.

Calico696 Calico696
Oct '16

+1,000 Calico. Keeping the conversation on point! It's about the sign and its return!

I would ask other business owners in the area if they have cameras

Nosila Nosila
Oct '16

This would truly be an educational opportunity for both your students and then perpetrator(s) - I sincerely hope you pursue it from that angle. Since this was an object with deminimis resale value I am inclined to believe it was a juvenile who needs to learn their actions hurt others and the cost is more than the value of the property. Best of luck with your students and your search

skippy skippy
Oct '16

Was potty talk a major issue in art class prior to the creation of this piece? Has the level of potty talk increased since the heist? Either way, I hope the perpetrator is flushed out and gets the treatment he deserves.

ianimal ianimal
Oct '16

"Since this was an object with deminimis resale value I am inclined to believe it was a juvenile..."

I'm more inclined to think that it is currently gracing the wall of a Centenary College student. Seems like something a drunk college kid walking by would find amusing...

ianimal ianimal
Oct '16

True

skippy skippy
Oct '16

Thank you all for your responses...the ones that stayed on topic at least. I do not believe this is a "Mexican" related incident and I do not believe Donald Trump could have saved my sign. The sign was just too awesome to resist stealing. When you lifted the lid it read "This is serious business..." and there is/was a little tiny sticker of Uncle Sam pointing at you, right above the lettering.....which made it even better.

@christine and Auntiel- No, I have not reported it yet. My first reaction was that I must contact them immediately!!but I feared that I was drastically over reacting and with the more pressing issues they are dealing with currently in the community it would be a waste of their time. Perhaps tomorrow I'll pop in and make a report anyway.

@ianimal, No, not really. Just the normal amount of poop talk from the Kinders and some inappropriate convos and colorful words with the middle schoolers who at the time thought I was WAY cooler than I am...oh and I'd find pieces of tape with the word "poop" written on it in inconspicuous places on the walls/tables or they'd write it on the erasers. Kinda funny. Just kid stuff like that. Kids are so creative. I give them full credit on that one. After the sign, I never had to say a peep to the little ones. The kids policed themselves and would remind each other about the sign out front. It was quite effective actually.

Oct '16

I saw your "sign" recently - loved it and hope you get it back soon.

4catmom 4catmom
Oct '16

To the first commenter. I appreciate you taking the time to show your sympathy that someone stole my sign. That right there shows me that you are a good person at heart. And I'm certain that having your bike stolen was terrible and awful and likely felt much worse than my stupid sign. And I do also commend you for taking action, standing up for yourself and getting it back. I would have beaten him with my bike pump. But As soon as you mention the issue being all Mexicans etc etc that is where you completely lose me and I stop listening.

I understand we are all passionate about our opinions but I think we need to be realistic here and stop drawing such large misguided conclusions about a whole population based on the actions of a few misguided people. I could just as easily say that all white people are "raping, pedophile serial killers" as most of those cases seem to be...FBI website says so... 74.3 % of all rapists are white, and most kiddie touchers and serial killers are young white males too. Doesn't mean they all are. It would be absurd to make that assumption and if someone posted that here I guareentee there would be uproar!!

Oct '16

Miss Rebecca, your words are amazing, so sincere, so truthful and for me, so much needed here. I think Hackettstown is a great town, and some of what you read here saddens me, but I can't change that. I try to live my life by the words you have shared, it's much easier being kind. I truly hope your sign shows up. Sounds like you're teaching those kids so much more than art and for that we should be grateful. Thanks for being that positive influence that is needed these days.

Bessie Bessie
Oct '16

Blaming a juvenile is no better than blaming a Mexican. Let's not ASSume but instead find the real culprit.

Haha1
Oct '16

Re: stolen sign from ART (children's art studio on main)

@Bessie. Thank you. And @Haha1 you are right. It is wrong to ASSume anything until we have thoroughly sifted through all the evidence. Don't worry. Sherlock Bones is on the case. It shouldn't be long now....

Oct '16

My children and I have attended your art classes in the past, and I attended a moms night out (byo and paint) at your place. I am sorry that someone stole from you. Lets ignore the rude people and bring this thread back to where it started. If anyone knows anything, say something. It's that simple.

EG_1982 EG_1982
Oct '16

I am so sorry this happened Miss Rebecca! Terrible! We love the projects you do there.

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.