Does Donaldson's really need a fund drive?

Saw this posting this morning:

http://wrnjradio.com/community-events/2016/help-donaldson-farms-recover-from-the-fire/

Although I patronize Donaldson's because I like to support local business, however it is appalling that they should now be considered a charity. Adequate insurance should cover their losses including any business interruption.

From what I have seen their business continues to be busy.

Before I give I would like to know what kind of loss was not covered by insurance. From what I understood, much of the equipment inside was saved and that the structure and hay bales were lost.

Most businesses rebuild through continued hardword and patronage of their customers...not entitlements.

Greg P Greg P
Oct '16

A community fundraising drive is hardly an "entitlement". I for one will absolutely donate to a fund to assist the Donaldson family and the farm. They have provided so much to our community-from "free" entertainment-strolling on the grounds, seeing the animals, playing with the water troughs, and more. They have embraced agri-tourism and their summer camps, dinner on the farm nights, hayrides and corn mazes, sunflower photo ops and more all bring much welcomed $$ into our area.

As everyone knows, farmers do not get rich doing what they do. They do the job because they love it, and because of the pride they feel when they see the literal fruits of their labor.

If I'm reading your question wrong, I apologize-but the tone of it seems to be that you feel that the Donaldson's are trying to take advantage of a terrible thing that happened to them. In our area, we help neighbors who need help after difficult things happen to them.

sumerrain1 sumerrain1
Oct '16

+1 sumerrain! Donaldson's is a fantastic local institution that not only attracts people (and therefore business locally, not just at Donaldson's) but they have always supported local groups, like the Hackettstown High School Tiger Booster Club and many others. I would hope that they have a successful fundraiser and I will definitely donate.

yankeefan yankeefan
Oct '16

Sumerrain,

Those things you listed -- agri-tourism, summer camps, dinner on the farm. etc -- were NOT all free, many if not most were done at a cost to the participants.

I'm with Greg, while they may geographically be our neighbors, they are a business - a business that opened as usual the day after the fire and remains open still.

In all the times I've shopped at Donaldson's I've never seen the "good neighbor" price posted on their produce, everyone pays the same whether the consumer walks over from their home in Mansfield or drives out for the day from NYC.

If people feel the need to run a charity drive for a business enterprise, I'm sure there are many other struggling businesses in the area more in need of a handout than Donaldson's.

JerryG JerryG
Oct '16

If you read the link and look at the GoFundMe, it states that WRNJ has started the fund drive, not Donaldson's itself. On the GoFundMe page, it states "The Donaldson family is very reluctant to accept financial help. And they were in awe of the outpouring of kindness and concern from the community in the immediate aftermath of the fire. But we at WRNJ Radio have convinced them to allow their many friends and faithful customers to contribute." In my opinion, that makes a big difference.

Htown Resident Htown Resident
Oct '16

If you want to conduct your own insurance audit, I doubt you'll get any answers here.

Otherwise, donate if you want to donate, don't donate if you don't want to donate. Why so much fuss??

GC always seems like the voice of reason! :-)

Robert Durana Robert Durana
Oct '16

I say be happy we have farms still in our area and that townhomes and apartments have not been built in its place.....help if you can!

Darrin Darrin
Oct '16

Donaldson's suffered a loss. Except in rare circumstances, the insurance doesn't cover enough to make up for every aspect of that loss. Think of what would happen if your car caught fire. Even if the insurance company paid for an equivalent car, they're not going to reimburse you for the $10 in change you had in it, or your $10 phone charging cord, or your $50 jacket in the back seat. And they're not going to reimburse you for all of your time shopping for a new car and getting it registered and insured, or shopping for a new jacket and charging cord.

Donaldson's may be a "business," but it is still owned by people, and those people suffered a loss. It might have been your own restaurant, or your brother's flower shop, or your best friend's home-based landscaping business. You just have to decide if you are able and willing to give something to help them. Maybe you think your brother was a greedy jerk who never gave you so much as one free flower and who wouldn't have helped you, if it was your own business that suffered. Or maybe your brother is a decent guy who always treated his employees well and who occasionally gave to charity and is likely to help you out when you need it. It's for you to decide how to spend your money. But I certainly don't think it is "appalling" to donate to help local business owners who suffered a surprise and damaging loss.

JerseyWolf JerseyWolf
Oct '16

You will find most farmers are underinsured on the out buildings.

+1GC - perfect post

CraftBeerBob CraftBeerBob
Oct '16

"Think of what would happen if your car caught fire. Even if the insurance company paid for an equivalent car, they're not going to reimburse you for the $10 in change you had in it, or your $10 phone charging cord, or your $50 jacket in the back seat. And they're not going to reimburse you for all of your time shopping for a new car and getting it registered and insured, or shopping for a new jacket and charging cord."

Good point. Would you expect the people at Donaldson's to donate money to me if my car caught fire so I could cover that shortfall and buy another jacket or charging cord?
Hmm. Tough decision, as an independent. The republican in me says that people should pull themselves up by their bootstraps and not expect others to pay for their lack of planning and saving. The democrat in me says that neighbors help neighbors regardless of their past actions or inactions.

I think that my inner democrat is winning. Is that bad or good?!

ChristIsRisen ChristIsRisen
Oct '16

Too bad gofundme takes 7.9% of the donation.

Route 46
Oct '16

Knowing how smart of business people Donaldson's are, I would expect they are well covered.

There are people who have lived in Hackettstown for decades in the same house that are losing it due to sickness or other emergencies. They are just folks, they did not misspend their labors, they just have some bad luck. Seems there are more needy folks right here that could use a helping hand more than Donaldson's.

strangerdanger strangerdanger
Oct '16

Damn... twice in one week, strangerdanger and I agree. The planets must be aligning.

JeffersonRepub JeffersonRepub
Oct '16

"And while insurance will cover some of the damage, it will be a challenge for the Donaldson family to continue to operate the the farm stand and create the kind of special events that area families have become so enriched by."

Just from the loss of one outbuilding? If we are starting $10k fundraisers for local businesses, I'm sure there are ones who need it more, they just may not be in the news or as well known.

katjubu
Oct '16

Not to be rude but crap, have you ever seen the greenhouse. I have never seen such nice facilities for plants. I don't begrudge any hard working farmers their due and the Donaldson family are farming geniuses and marketing mavens who reap a pretty penny for a top quality product. They also farm very clean which is a joy to behold. Hard to find a mess on their land. I have more junk piles... But frankly folks, I really doubt that they need a helping hand and perhaps they should just step up and say as much and suggest that the money goes to some needy family in Hackettstown that really could use it.

Or maybe use it to bus some kids from Newark in to run the maze and get some free pumpkins.

strangerdanger strangerdanger
Oct '16

WRNJ started the GoFundMe? Maybe they're afraid that Donaldson's won't have enough money to pay for all that advertising time?

WRNJ is anything but a disinterested neutral party in this.

JerryG JerryG
Oct '16

I would suggest that if Donaldson's truly resisted the idea but the fund was started anyway then perhaps the proceeds should be donated by Donaldson's to a local food bank so some local families who have hit hard times can have a few hot meals this winter. We don't have all the facts about financial loss but the farm appears to be operating normally without skipping a beat.

Strangerdanger - apologies for repeating your idea- guess we wrote at the same time

scribbler scribbler
Oct '16

The more I think about my original post, the more I am disgusted by Norman Worth and the Donaldsons.

I think the money should be donated to the various fire company's that were involved.

Commercial insurance will cover all the costs including any lost revenue. Almost all property coverages are replacement cost value. The value of the pole barn is the primary loss.

Hey Norman aren't there any better causes your station could promote?

Greg P Greg P
Oct '16

Re: Does Donaldson's really need a fund drive?

It seems like every cause has a GoFundMe page these days.

My dog Daisy is thinking of starting one herself. My husband said that the chew treats, that he normally gets her, have gone up too much in price so he's been buying her cheaper ones. She figures if she starts a GoFundMe with a really cute pic, she can buy enough treats to last the rest of her life. As you can seen in this pic, she is having trouble seeing out of one of her eyes. This most likely has to do with eating the smaller, less expensive treats. LOL

Send your funds to hungrydaisydog.com. ;-)

Calico696 Calico696
Oct '16

This............... is Hackettstown Life

Clyde Potts Clyde Potts
Oct '16

A fund for Multi-Millionaires, WOW !

SM PREDATOR SM PREDATOR
Oct '16

Solution: either donate or don't.
Peace out.

Yankeefan Yankeefan
Oct '16

Shame on you all!
Maybe you don't know how much this family run business does for the community. They DONATE to the schools, daycare centers, their local community, food banks, charities, etc.
You obviously have no idea how insurance reimbursement works - they aren't going to get 100% of anything that was covered.
You think this family is making any better of a living than you or I?
If something happened like this to you - would you not want the support of your community?
Be the better person and help eachother!!

helpthefarm helpthefarm
Oct '16

"If we are starting $10k fundraisers for local businesses, I'm sure there are ones who need it more, they just may not be in the news or as well known."

Then feel free to start a gofundme account for any business you feel would be more deserving. No one is stopping you. Just like no one is forcing you to donate to this one. I just don't get the big deal. Like Yankeefan said either donate or don't.

Jim L Jim L
Oct '16

JerryG-re-read my answer. I specifically separated the "free" things at Donaldson's from the activities that have a cost to them. I stand by what I said. And I will also say that I DID ask Donaldson's if they were accepting donations after the fire, and at the time, I was told that they really didn't want to do that, and were so overwhelmed by the support of our community.

Bottom line for everyone-if you don't want to donate-don't do it. But for those of us that are not averse to helping our neighbors-why do you care?

sumerrain1 sumerrain1
Oct '16

This thread saddens me.

I know it isn't made for TV Mayberry town, but if it makes someone happy to give someone else something, whether a couple bucks or an apple pie- why should it matter to you?

Nobody held a gun to anyone's head and took money from their wallet. It was all free will and their own decision. That is a fact. It doesn't matter if the farm needed the money, what the insurance covered, etc. That doesn't concern you. Every single person here is thinking with emotion instead of logic.

Somebody giving $10, $20, $50 to a local farm they like- even if there was NO fire hurts no one and honestly is none of any of our business.

Josh, thank you for the perspective. It is right on.

Wonderful Wonderful
Oct '16

I agree with the posts above stating Donaldsons definitely does NOT need any type of charity or fundraiser...geeze!!!

Very funny Calico :):)

I'm pretty sure people are aware that they can just choose not to donate if they don't agree there's a need.....So it cannot be brought up and discussed?

This is a local, very well known, business in our community that quite honestly seems to be thriving. If local residents want to share their thoughts what's the problem?

Farms are vanishing from the area. Most farmers are under insured, they could not afford to carry enought insurance
I want to be able to take my future grandchildren, for a fun and learning time at Donaldson's Farm.
When I was growing up my grandmother's house had farms on both sides of her property. I loved the cows especially.
Donate if you wish with an open heart, but don't place shame on some farm owners who have had an episode of very bad luck.

Susan C Susan C
Oct '16

Donaldsons is awesome... you haters r not

1234abc
Oct '16

Greg P and Jerry G seem to be way too invested in this for there to be no ulterior motive. There are thousands of very worthy Gofundme causes and no doubt thousands of maybe not so worthy causes. For some reason, to them, this one seems to be the most egregious. Tough to believe they don't have a personal axe to grind.
So GP and JG...step up and let us know why you all of a sudden post on HL and attack a local treasure. Your motives are suspect.
Meanwhile, our family and many of our friends are happily donating.

Yankeefan Yankeefan
Oct '16

Honestly, if you want to help Donaldson's, then go there and BUY something; get some overpriced produce if you want them to stay in business.

I just find their whole "golly gee gosh, we're very reluctant to accept people's help" statement as posted by WRNJ a load of nonsense -- if that's really how the Donaldson family feels, then they should tell the radio station they absolutely will not accept the money.

Otherwise, IMO the Donaldson Family is just playing everyone to see how gullible people really are.

JerryG JerryG
Oct '16

Thanks Jerry. You are Guilty as charged. Go buy your crappy Shop Rite produce. I buy at Donaldsons regularly and I'm glad to have the option.
Your last sentence is self incriminating and it's laughable you don't even know that.

Yankeefan Yankeefan
Oct '16

I made my donation on Columbus Day.....$ 24.00 for 1 adult and two children for the corn maze. An expensive day at the farm. Needless to say after the maze I couldn't afford to do anything else.

outsider outsider
Oct '16

Quote- JRT=

"I agree with the posts above stating Donaldsons definitely does NOT need any type of charity or fundraiser...geeze!!!

I'm pretty sure people are aware that they can just choose not to donate if they don't agree there's a need.....So it cannot be brought up and discussed?

If local residents want to share their thoughts what's the problem?"

I'd hope you can reread your words and realize the point- If people are free to choose to donate- why should others, including you, who are not involved, post about the 'negatives' if it doesn't involve them?

"Share their thoughts? Whats the problem?"

How about a happy community? Peaceful world. Does anyone benefit from negative people posting based on negative emotions?

Does anyone on here know you in real life? Do you care what your neighbors think of you? Who benefits from such behavior? Nobody. These posts, same as the political BS on here helps nobody.

To put it in perspective- why would anyone on here give me permission to search their yard if I might find a few pennies, dimes or a quarter? I am a grown adult, I don't need the money, the pocket change. I can pay my bills- why would I waste hours of my spare time, thousands of dollars in equipment and several dollars in batteries looking for 87 cents?

Who cares? As long as I enjoy it, and the property owner doesn't care- it is nobody else's concern.

Seriously- it is if some of the people on this site just look for something to bitch about- something to rally against- something to prop themselves up against and make themselves feel better, they strive on the hope that one person might post in agreement with them, justifying their opinion, their belief, their existence as it may be.

Holy crap- get a life, get a hobby, get a perspective. Ugghh....

Exactly Jerry!

Yea, that's very true outsider.,,,,expensive!!

I went once to get some tomatoes to go along with my dinner. I paid more for those than the steak I was having!

Is this really necessary?

4catmom 4catmom
Oct '16

JRT- yes, ignore my rational post in response to you and continue to repost diatribe.

Did anyone force you to buy those tomatoes? No?

Are you 18 years of age? I'd assume yes.

Then you CHOSE to buy them, knowing the price- and yet you post on here in attempt to somehow make them look bad for your lack of judgement.

Dumbass.

;)

4catmom- it is completely unnecessary in a rational world. But that is not where we live unfortunately.

We live in a world where everyone gets off on not only judging others, but also having to post those judgements in a thinly veiled effort to get justification for their opinions.

I normally just scan the threads and then roll my eyes and close them, but I guess I had a couple beers tonight, being Friday and all...

I am going to stick a $20 in the Dunkin Donuts tip jar tomorrow- I know they don't need it, even if they had a fire, but I like the coffee- Haters Gonna Hate. :)

Haters- post away as to why I shouldn't, how bad I am because I did, and how much better you are because you didn't.

You should all direct your misdirected comments and efforts to one of the causes you state could use support ( but certainly not from any of you ).

When is the last time one of you donated to an orphanage ?

Or how about visiting a disable veteran with no family ?

You can be such hypocrites....

If your home burned down...would it be acceptable for us all to get on here and boast about how you have enough insurance and are not deserving of any outside help ????

Who are you to make those type of statements about others ????

Very disturbing to read all the negative comments ...

Steven Steven
Oct '16

Started reading the post thinking it was a bash against me- relived to read to the bottom and realize it was not. :)

If it is true that the Donaldson family is reluctant to accept help, maybe in an act of solidarity they could share the money to help with the recent medical bills of Best Farm's family.

happiest girl
Oct '16

Well any good that is going to be done will be undone by this post. Donaldson's didn't ask for this BS. My guess is they won't accept the money not because of what is here because that is who they are. They probably would have donated it. Really great job people. Disgusting.

CraftBeerBob CraftBeerBob
Oct '16

Josh,

Take a breath and relax.....really.
I know exactly what I wrote so there's no need for me to reread. I personally don't care who donates or doesn't. I was pointing out the fact that they are a business in our community seeking donations therefore there is no reason why people should not be able to voice their opinion.
I also added my thoughts on the matter....,since this is a local community forum where community things are discussed. I'm sorry josh if you don't like any negativity in your world, but in the REAL WORLD things are not always rainbows and butterflies. People do tend to disagree at times.
I guess IMO I feel as though people should be able to express their like/dislikes about things that involve themselves and their town. This topic was not about Donaldsons doing something in private that everyone just decided to comment on. It was about them setting up a Go fund me page and seeking donations openly.
Why do YOU seem to care so much what other people comment about on here? What does it matter to YOU the reasons they do so? What difference does it make to YOU how they want to make themselves feel by doing so?

See how that works....

For the record lots of people on here know me personally....No I don't care what others think...and no I do not wish to continue any type of conversation with you.
Topics come up on here daily...,some get good feedback..Some do not. I guess that's what makes the world go round!
Feel free though Josh to refrain from reading any that are negative and go back to metal detecting!

Outsider - next year go to Tranquility farms for the corn maze instead. We paid only $2 or $3 per person for the corn maze. Much more reasonably priced. $5 per person covered both the corn maze and hay ride to go pumpkin picking.

gm mom
Oct '16

Josh,
Lol ok dumbass .....I was not ignoring your post. I guess I stepped away before I saw what you wrote because I DO HAVE A LIFE OTHER THAN HL ...sorry to disappoint you lmao!

At this point Josh, feel free to respond any way you'd like because I will be returning to that life and ignoring you.,,,

How about you do the same...have a beer, take a pill, do something beyond getting yourself so worked up over a few comments on the town forum

Rebecka's right... it IS the media. WRNJ started all this. Part of their master plan for a socialist New World Order (-;

Everybody take a step back and a deep breath and think of something truly important to you. Then ask yourself if internet pissing contests are worth the time, energy and emotional toll that they suck from your soul.

Yeah, it's probably the Xocoveza talking, but that's no reason to dismiss the sentiment out of hand (-;

ianimal ianimal
Oct '16

We go to Donaldson's often. We love the produce and the pies at holiday time.

But as an aside, it seems that lately a reaction to most tragedies is to start a gofundme account. When the Spaceship 2 crashed, they started one for the wife of the co-pilot that died. Turns out, he had $1.5M in life insurance.

I am not saying that is the case here, apparently this was a mostly uncovered loss, just pointing out that it is worth looking into the situations prior to donating.

Reggie Voter Reggie Voter
Oct '16

If Hillary has one - why the hell not?

JRT said- "Why do YOU seem to care so much what other people comment about on here?"

Quite simply because it makes a hostile place where people don't want to be. Every thread I open seems to end with people fighting with each other. If you can't see that as detrimental to the group here, or even society as a whole...

People should think what they want, but keep that in private with close friends or family. Spouting opinions to everyone around never ends well, and is only ever done for selfish emotional reasons whether the person realizes or admits it.

Tell me what purpose this thread serves, what did the OP expect it would accomplish? Are we better off because of it? I'd say no.

Go Fund Me was set up after Donaldson agreed to it. The person who created it is representing them as creator.

Countryside
Oct '16

"Every thread I open seems to end with people fighting with each other. If you can't see that as detrimental to the group here, or even society as a whole.."

Says the person who's fighting and "spouting" his opinion while telling others to keep their opinions to themselves

hello
Oct '16

"Will be difficult for them to continue running the stand, etc.." Are you kidding???
They were up and running the very next day. The fire never interrupted their every day operations. Insurance should cover it 100%. If they really didn't want WRNJ doing the fund raising site, it wouldn't be done.

Botheredbyuu2 Botheredbyuu2
Oct '16

omg - the swill continues - some people seem to live in the vent-
https://youtu.be/fH2FekyDKdw

4catmom 4catmom
Oct '16

A commercial for profit entity - which is what Donaldsons is - regardless of how nice or altruistic their owners are - has to cope with risk. In this case that would be things foreseen or unforeseen that could impact operations ergo fire. They have 3 options - accept it and say we can handle it, transfer it via insurance, or mitigate it in whole or in part via fire suppression systems for example. And yes I understand farms have a high barrier to entry and a low profit margin but this is why they receive tax subsidies and deferment and other advantages in the market no other enterprise gets, but I digress. If Donaldsons failed to deal with risk that makes them poor business people - not a charity, despite what they have done in the past. If you want to send your money to a business that's your right - but I think this is at the very least in poor taste and at the worst an effort to play on the heart strings of our social justice warriors in residence. If you want to help them out go get some pumpkins - don't support a go fund me link which is a blatant rip off even for the recipient due to the fees collected.

skippy skippy
Oct '16

Sad so many legitimate charities 501c3 need food and donations this time of the year...

Animal Shelters are bursting at the seams. I am shocked that the Donaldson family would agree to do this?

pampurr pampurr
Oct '16

This thread in unbelievable! If you do not want to contribute to the Go Fund Me account, DON'T. If you want to support a local business that does a lot for this community, then DO! WHO CARES!!! How are we to know if they need the money or not? So, they are busy - that's great! Does that mean they are rolling in the dough and don't need help? How do we know??!!
Too many of you are over opinionated. Let people do what they want or don't want.

Mrs. Resident Mrs. Resident
Oct '16

hungrydaisydog.com is getting my contribution

skippy skippy
Oct '16

Well stated Mrs. Resident ~ this entire thread is disheartening.

gwtwqueenie gwtwqueenie
Oct '16

Tell ya what. If you want to make a donation, to a legitimate charity, do so, on behalf of Donaldson's. Kind of like..." in lieu of flowers....". Then everyone will be happy, especially if Donaldson's didn't want to start the gofundme page,in the first place.

sparksjbc1964 sparksjbc1964
Oct '16

If their entire operation burned to the ground, and forced them out of business- or worse, to sell their land to condo developers, most of the same people complaining about donations to them would be the first ones complaining that they didn't do enough to try and rebuild and made a windfall from their insurance money- making them villains.

Enjoy what we have left out here in Warren County before it is paved over! (and make a private donation or buy some of their products if you wish- or not- I will guess these folks are not multi millionaires from running a small local farm- ins or not- glad they are there)

The Rhyme Animal The Rhyme Animal
Oct '16

Come on people stop being so Judgmental !!! You don't live in these people's shoes !! Do you really know how much was lost in the fire? I am sure you don't know. Do you really know How much insurance will really cover ? I am sure you don't know that either. Do you really know how hard and expensive it is to maintain a farm like this? I am sure you DONT really know. Go to the farm speak to the farmer himself and find out. Go get EDUCATED before assuming the worst of a regular hometown family trying to make a living.

Not fair Not fair
Oct '16

Thank you to those who see this gesture in the spirit for which it was intended. Yes, Donaldson Farms is a business - but a business owned by a local family whose livelihood has been threatened by a fire. The September 9th blaze destroyed a large barn and much of the equipment essential to supplying their farm stand with produce. It would have been nice if they had had complete replacement cost fire insurance. They didn't.

What they did have was a humbling response from a community of friends and customers who asked after the fire if they could help, if they could contribute. While appreciative, the Donaldsons declined, as you or I might.

The Donaldson's are friends of mine. I asked them if I could do something on their behalf, contemplating "life around here" without Summer Nights on the Farm and so many other family-friendly events and activities they've created over the years. I said if people want to help, let them. Though still reluctant, they allowed me to set up a GoFundMe account through WRNJ. It's an easy online way for people to show support for the Donaldson family and cast a vote for the future of the farm stand.

Many thanks to those who have already given.

`Norman Worth, WRNJ `Norman Worth, WRNJ
Oct '16

Norman,

Just how many other local businesses that have closed or are in danger of closing have you gone to this extent for?

If people want to support a local business, they go there and patronize the business. They spend their money quietly without the "look at how wonderful I am" publicity of signing their name to a GoFundMe page, or telling everyone on HL or Facebook about their philanthropy. That is, I think, my basic antipathy towards things like GoFundMe -- how many people do it just so they can show off to their friends?

Josh posted here a couple of nights ago about going to Dunkin Donuts and dropping a $20 tip in the tip jar. That is what charity should be all about -- done for the benefit of someone who needs it and without any need for public acknowledgement.

I support a number of charities and will reach into my pocket for a spare $5, $10, or more when the occasion arises, but I don't feel the need to pat myself on the back whenever I do, or brag to my friends about my generosity.

Donaldson's was open the very next day with no apparent shortage of customers or product. Judging by the cars parked on their grounds especially on the weekends they seem to be doing quite well. If they failed to carry enough insurance to support a commercial enterprise that is on them.

JerryG JerryG
Oct '16

Norm is right on ~ JerryG isn't. Bottom line ~ get over it already !

Donate if you want, if you do not want to donate - then don't. No one is judging you - it is your choice. This isn't a debate, just a choice.

gwtwqueenie gwtwqueenie
Oct '16

Jerryg The Donaldsons are friends of Norman's and he is helping them! If someone wants to contribute to GoFundMe so be it. It is a CHOOSE that we all have here. Donate your 5 10 or more to whatever

LittleRascal LittleRascal
Oct '16

To bad there wasn't a go fund me set up for Wonder Nails on Main St. after it burned. They lost everything (insurance didn't cover all the loss) and the end result a local family had no other choice than to move (California) to get the much needed support from their family. I do not see Donaldson's rolling in money. Staying afloat as a farm is hard enough in this state. A fire, no matter how small, is a devastating loss to anyone.

auntiel auntiel
Oct '16

I remember all the bashing that went on during the closing of the Hackettstown Trading Post. "They did this to themselves by overcharging" was the most prevalent negetive response if I recall corectlly. Guess they should have had a fire...

In years past, before the in'net, of a local business need help because they were not doing so well, locals showed their support by visiting the location and BUYING something. The business gets the money they need and the customer gets something in return.

To me, this feels like the wrong move for donaldsons.

No thespian
Oct '16

Is this really a thing? Pretty obvious that Jerry G has a personal axe to grind.

Yankeefan Yankeefan
Oct '16

Sorry double post

No thespian
Oct '16

Also, while Donaldsons is certainly a farm, it's a farm the same way Ahlstedes is a farm. It's a couple fields that serves to fill their own parking lot and play on the whole "organic/farm-to-fork" crowd. That's all good and well but don't paint them as maw and paw scraping by selling their vegetables to mean Ol Walmart and next to zero markup. The donaldsons seem pretty savvy. I think they'll be fine without the gofundme.

No thespian
Oct '16

Anyone can set up a Go Fund Me fundraiser.

So for those here saying a fundraiser should have been set up for this one or that one, go ahead - feel free - set up a fundraiser for them. Step up to the plate and do it. No one is stopping you.

And when you do, if someone wants to donate they will. If someone does not want to donate, the won't. It is that simple. Again, it is not a debate ~ it's a choice.

gwtwqueenie gwtwqueenie
Oct '16

Gwtwqueenie, thank you for your matter of fact comments.

Wonderful Wonderful
Oct '16

The OP asked, "Does Donaldson's need a fund drive?" The short answer is: No.

To add to the long answers, the wife is actually not so nice and as for all their charitable contributions, I would bet they make a nice tax write-off as any business owner could attest. But, as many have said, it's a personal choice if you want to donate. I personally wouldn't even shop there.

Suze, I bet they'll really miss you. And your astute and intimate knowledge of their financials.

Yankeefan Yankeefan
Oct '16

Overpriced (in my opinion) and never a sale for local residents ever. Hayrides use to be free not anymore. Pumpkins are way overpriced. Before this GoFundMe what did we do. You banded together as a family and helped each other out. This million dollar business will not go under and there are multiple businesses that are far more in need for a fund me than Donaldson's. We continue to lose businesses in our community each year. All of the donations made by Donanldson's mentioned in the above posts are TAX deductible so it is most certainly a benefit that all businesses take. Also I wish I could close up shop each year for the Winter and reopen in Spring. I however do agree with it comes down to a choice of donate or do not donate. I for one will not.

Cowboyfan Cowboyfan
Oct '16

Why is this even a thread???

Sad.

No one knows what their losses were, what their insurance covered, what their finances are, or other struggles they may have from this fire (stress/emotional, etc).

It's no one's business!

They are people. Good people. A family. A part of our community.

Period.

Help if you wish (monetarily or via purchases)

If you don't wish to help, why not just stop the judging and negativity and go waste your time doing something else.

Really???
Oct '16

"Dropped $20 in DD tip jar? That's what donating is all about? Giving to someone who needs it".

Really???? So all the people who work at DD are charity cases?? Thats pretty low to say something like that. Pretty low!!

Oct '16

I would think the DD worker, along, with all the people who work at Kolh's, Walmart, and the other chain stores around here could DEFINITELY use the twenty dollar tip, more than the Donaldson's.
Most of the chain store employees work two other jobs, in addition... just to survive.Year round. The Donaldson's take part of the winter off. Their employees, that are not family members, have to rely on unemployment, through the winter.
It is a personal choice, so I don't criticize anyone's decision to give "charity" to whomever they want. Any form of altruism is ok, in my book.

Oct '16

Yankeefan, I don't care if they do or don't . But I know my money goes to people I respect. Astute enough for you?

Hey, at least this is voluntary.

For now lol

justintime justintime
Oct '16

How 'bout them Cubs

Clyde Potts Clyde Potts
Oct '16

You have to be kidding me if you thank thay need any help I know people who personally do business with them and if you think they need help I have some oceanfront property in Ohio to sell you PT Barnum was right a fool and their are money are soon departed

Oldred
Oct '16

Sparks - are you kidding? Full time employees at Wal-Mart bring home $1200+ a month and if they have a spouse that works, 2 incomes, I'd say they are doing ok and don't NEED a $20 tip! How dare you degrade these hard working people.

Oct '16

I'm rooting for those cubs! Need to decide if I should go for popcorn or crackerjacks!

maja2 maja2
Oct '16

Bringing home $1200 a month? They're only "doing ok" if they have Section 8 housing and food stamps... and Medicaid

ianimal ianimal
Oct '16

I'm not degrading them at all. If anything, I think those people work very hard, and I know many employees that work at these places, that should be earning a livable wage. Even, with two incomes @ $1200, per month, $2400 is not very much, when, rent is minimum $1000 per month, for a two bedroom apartment. Then, there's groceries, cars, children, utilities, medical bills, etc.
Kohl's ONLY hires part time, unless it's a management position. Minimum wage, no benefits.
Please don't spin my words. The subject was brought up, so I gave my opinion. That's all it is. MY opinion. I would NEVER degrade anyone, for working so hard, for $9-12 per hour. And yes, the people I know, who work at these stores, do work a second job. I have great respect for those hardworking folks, especially the seniors, trying to supplement their incomes. All those people have STAMINA. As for who donates to what, that's up to the individual.
We were discussing the "$20 tip". So in other words, your saying who ever deserves it, is now being "degraded"? So, are all the people, who want to donate to the Donaldson's, "degrading" them? Your reply was just silly.
Like I said before... any form of altruism is ok, in my book.
Peace.

Oct '16

No worries, sparks. Everyone else knew what you meant.

Anyone who quietly puts a $20 in a tip jar at Dunkin' Donuts is my kinda guy... and most other people's too.

Rebecka Rebecka
Oct '16

A question to all you NEGATIVE people out there: Did anyone of you go to speak to the farmer himself and get EDUCATED yet??? I did. go take a visit and get EDUCATED!!!! You just might see things in a different light!!

Once again Once again
Oct '16

It strikes me that it might be more "charitable" to share what charities we donate to - in my family - we long ago stopped giving eachother socks - scarves etc that we really didn't need and started asking eachother what charity they'd like us to donate to in their honor for birthdays - holidays etc.............So instead of bashing how about sharing?

4catmom 4catmom
Oct '16

Thanks, Rebecka! Your positive, sweet reply, made my day!

Oct '16

It amazes me how everyone knows the facts of the farm business, both financial and operations. Close up shop for the winter and take time off. Are you kidding me? Do you think they just wait for the snow to fly so they can go to Florida. Who maintains the equipment, the barns, the fences, fields, supplies. Expenses are 12 months a year, income is not. If it is so great, why do we keep losing farms. Seems like if it such an easy job, most farms would continue. Just because they were open the next day does not mean they did not suffer a loss. As for the $20 tip-"I am going to stick a $20 in the Dunkin Donuts tip jar tomorrow". I think it would have more impact if you had already done it and not as an antagonistic comment to this thread. WE can all do something tomorrow, what do you do everyday? As for WRNJ, isn't this the same station that everyone was in love with during Hurricane Sandy for all the good they did. They were the only game in town at the time and were rightfully recognized by many of the towns. The same station that raises money for charity after charity, The ARC, Hospital, DASAC, PBA, Centenary, Rotary, etc. I am pretty sure Norm Worth does not need to look over his shoulder on this one. He believes in helping people, it is what he does and criticism is unfounded on this one. As was said before, donate or not, it is your choice but stop the BS.

Sparks-get off your high horse.

And ianimal you are incorrect. I do know a couple that brings home $2500 monthly, pays rent, have 1 child and all the necessities of life and they are doing fine! Even a car WITH insurance.
HOW DO THEY MANAGE THAT?? SMH!

Anyhow, Donaldsons will be just fine without a gofundme page.

Oct '16

LOL... can't get down, off the horse. Too high up. Now, getting down off a duck? Maybe that's something that's possible. Chill...

Oct '16

I don't understand why donate for farm equipment? Did they lose farm equipment in the fire? Doesn't insurance take care of it?..Something fishy here.

"Your contribution to this GoFundMe account will go toward the purchase of new equipment for the Donaldson farm." that according to the Fundraisers website.

When the Tanis Family of Ideal Farms in Sussex County lost their barn from fire there was no outcry begging for money from the public.

I myself and family will not be going there anymore I will be going to Tranquility Farms from now on for my fresh and reasonably priced produce.

pampurr pampurr
Oct '16

Go fund me....please!
If they under insured the barn and things are that bad,the Donaldson's should sell the property for millions to a developer and retire.

I don't see anyone begging. Just a thought, used equipment would be replaced with used equipment. But the book value of old equipment could be low. I don't personally feel the need to donate. Kid's college loan would get priority there. But the guy at the radio station must be aware of more facts. And he felt the need to support his friends. So if someone wants to contribute, they can at least have some comfort level that it is needed.

I am not a huge fan of Go fund me. I know someone who was sharing the page to raise money for her brother who was out of work due to a heart attack. She was also posting about her trips to Aspen, Portland, Alaska, and many long weekends in Newport. I would not ask friends to give to family when I had money to give.

maja2 maja2
Oct '16

I work with 501c3 rescue and have been a grant writer as well. Seen many of these GoFundMe's out there and many ripped off because folks were not informed of what a "legitimate" 501c3 is.

This GoFundMe fundraiser for Donaldson's currently does not go under the banner of a 501c3 or non-profit you cannot write donated monies off on your taxes.

If there are more facts the radio station needs to be more transparent and forthright to the public..After all it is the public they are seeking monies from..

pampurr pampurr
Oct '16

"I know someone who was sharing the page to raise money for her brother who was out of work due to a heart attack. She was also posting about her trips to Aspen, Portland, Alaska, and many long weekends in Newport. I would not ask friends to give to family when I had money to give."

Yup. And there are tons of these GoFundMe pages that are complete scams too.

"This GoFundMe fundraiser for Donaldson's currently does not go under the banner of a 501c3 or non-profit you cannot write donated monies off on your taxes.

If there are more facts the radio station needs to be more transparent and forthright to the public..After all it is the public they are seeking monies from."

+1

I see that this particular GoFundMe has only managed to raise less than $1,500 over 25 days. I take that to mean that most do not see it as a legitimate or worthy cause.

Calico696 Calico696
Oct '16

http://www.lehighvalleylive.com/warren-county/index.ssf/2016/09/donaldson_farms_up_and_running.html

So apparently, according to Greg Donaldson, his daughter was using a grinder to cut bolts off a horse trailer in a barn he states held about 1,000 bales of straw and cardboard.

Who uses a grinder, a tool which will always create sparks as it grinds through metal, in a barn filled with bales of straw and cardboard?

Isn't there any accountability for a fire which could have been avoided if some basic safety measures (such as NOT using a tool that produces sparks in an environment containing flammable material) were followed?

JerryG JerryG
Oct '16

"Who uses a grinder, a tool which will always create sparks as it grinds through metal, in a barn filled with bales of straw and cardboard?"

Hmmm, could this be why there is an insurance issue?

Calico696 Calico696
Oct '16

Me again. I seriously don't see why a Donaldson couldn't go on the radio, explain exactly what happened and ask listeners to come and buy something. Wouldnt a 200% increase in customers for 3-4 weeks balance this out?

No thespian
Oct '16

Accidents happen (which is why there is insurance in the first place) and to imply that any of this was intentional or that someone is trying to make unnecessary gains is ludicrous!

If you wish to donate then donate
If you do not then do not
If you want to start a go fund me account for a local business then please do so. I hope millions of dollars are raised!
If you want to start a go fund me account for your Aunt Lucile's hip replacement please do.

Talking negative and exuding negativity is helping no one!

Perhaps your time would be better spent working harder at your job so you could make enough money to feel happy instead of bashing the amount of money other people have.

Benjammin Benjammin
Oct '16

LOL I love how so many people claim to know the facts here. Donate or don't but if you chose not to because you believe the rumors that insurance covers 100% all of this or that just straw and cardboard were in that barn, you are just a hype man blowing hot air. WOOT WOOT To being completely misinformed about what was in that barn as well as the everyday struggle of being a farmer, keeping NJ green, and just exactly what this particular family HAS donated to the local community. In fact, the daily recording of how many pounds of fresh food is donated everyday stopped over a decade ago because everyday so much food goes out to the community, getting all the poundage down and itemized lists had become impossible so tax write off? Oh brother. Sounds like you have a personal axe to grind Jerry, maybe you should go to the source and talk to them directly or relax and don't donate. Let us not forget besides the decades of equipment used every single day being in that barn, an out of control fire is a terrifying and traumatic event that people of all ages witnessed from the community that day. let's cease this negativity and try to empathize for those who were directly affected emotionally and mentally as well. SHEESH!

Learnthefacts Learnthefacts
Oct '16

People,

If something bad happened to you, and a friend wanted to help, would you let him/her? That's all that's going on here. And while opinions are what give HL its oxygen, forensic investigations aren't always required.

If you choose not to shop at the farm stand, or not to contribute to this GoFundMe site set up not by the Donaldsons, but by me, that's your prerogative. But why tie this good family to the whipping post? You simply don't know their situation.

In any case, whatever is raised by this effort won't come close to putting "Humpty Dumpty" back together again. The equipment losses are significant, with the insurance covering only the depreciated value of each piece. But when you buy a new tractor attachment, you pay full price. There was a 100 x 60-foot barn filled with equipment and tools required work the farm that was destroyed in the fire. Could they have chosen to purchase more expensive full replacement cost insurance? Yes. But that's one of the compromises one makes when trying to keep afloat. Even with perfect growing weather, every year is a close call economically. And when the weather doesn't cooperate, it's not pretty. Ask any local farmer.

So that being the case, why put up the GoFundMe site at all? Because I wanted to do something. Which is more than nothing. I'm from a large family and when I was 12 years old I watched with my brothers and sisters as our home burned to the ground. And then we all watched a community respond. And as difficult as it was for my parents to accept "charity", it was the spirit and love behind it that sustained them through a very difficult time. We didn't have full replacement cost insurance either. We couldn't afford it.

If people want to give... to anything, let them. I think there's something about it in the Bible.

Norman Worth, WRNJ Norman Worth, WRNJ
Oct '16

AMEN Benjammin! Pretty clear some folks here have a personal grudge against the Donaldsons.

Yankeefan Yankeefan
Oct '16

Learnthefacts,

Did you even bother to read the article I posted the link to? It quoted Greg Donaldson as saying that the sparks from the grinder ignited the straw and caused the fire.

I'm not "claiming to know the facts," I'm only posting what Greg Donaldson himself told the reporter from Lehigh Valley Live.

JerryG JerryG
Oct '16

Norman, Your post is excellent and I, for one, thank you for your thoughtfulness in your effort to help the Donaldson family. There is a lot of good that happens in Hackettstown and the surrounding communities by many of the Hackettstownlife posters and, of course, there are a few that just prefer to be argumentative, overly opininionated and just plain nasty (often it's the same few folks.) When I read HL I just skip on through the comments by the negative or nasty or know-it-alls and I smile and feel sorry for those posters. Donate or don't donate; it's a choice. There's no reason to spew venom. And, I also want to thank you Norman, RNJ and your staff for all the good you do for Hackettstown and its extended community. Oh, my disclaimer is I don't know any of the Donaldson's, and could not identity a Donaldson if I were being paid to do so. I do shop there on occasion. Thanks again.

MrsPipes MrsPipes
Oct '16

C'mon, Jerry, tell the truth. Did you buy a dozen ears of corn only to get home and find eleven?

Yankeefan Yankeefan
Oct '16

In hindsight, i am sure they recognize the error of grinding inside, but i do not think there is an exclusion for dumb acts or all claims would be uninsured. Almost every accident could be prevented if you could look back.
Someone tried to do something nice, no personal gain and the bashing on this thread is crazy. Let it go and go donate to some charity and move on. We have bigger problems.

Nice game Sunday elii

Clyde Potts Clyde Potts
Oct '16

Yes a handful of times Jerry prior and again today, thanks. How the accident began doesn't change anything about the family's loss or any good they have done for the community in the past and present for others! Nor the need to support small and positive business. Norm's verbiage conveys my feelings completely. Everyone have a good evening and contribute to any cause you believe in because we ALL will need some help sometime.:)))

Oct '16

"to imply that any of this was intentional or that someone is trying to make unnecessary gains is ludicrous"

Who implied this?

Calico696 Calico696
Oct '16

No one is tying them to the whipping post Norman..not I that comes from a Sussex County farming family and knows from experience what happens when a barn fire occurs and livestock is lost which NO livestock was lost in this Donaldson's fire, Thank God.. Only machinery ....and straw..as was stated.

There needs to be more transparency here!!!...Your over exaggerating. .

pampurr pampurr
Oct '16

Norman...Mr Worth. I know you don't want this to become a cheer page for your humble self but you are a Hackettstown treasure. And your post should put this sometimes vitriolic thread to rest. All the best to the Donaldson farm...another local treasure.

Hipster Hipster
Oct '16

You have 2 choices:

1. Donate
2. Don't donate

You have no idea what this family is going through and neither do I, but is it necessary to drag them through the mud while they are already going through hardship?

Please let this thread die :(

Jacqui Jacqui
Oct '16

We are calling for transparency with the GoFundMe fundraiser..WRNJ is responsible to the public because they are trying to raise 10K from the public. Get it!!! ..

pampurr pampurr
Oct '16

Guess it is true, no good deed ever goes unpunished

Pampurr if you come from a farming background then truly you would understand that machinery can take a farmer and their family their entire life/career to buy and pay off if they even have the ability to do so. It isn't a matter of being "only machinery" it can't be bought outright in a day and because it does take a long time to financially acquire, many of these pieces don't even exist by the end of a decade or even shorter. Strange how close to farming you were and seem to not realize this part. Don't minimize the importance of machinery to a farmer.

Oct '16

Our farming neighbors helped each other out in times of need...including machinery tractor etc...to hay fields, plant corn..etc..no need to put up GoFundMe..to the public.

Pampurr Pampurr
Oct '16

So a community of people who are your friends and supported you, provided you with what means they had to help you after a tragic event? I see no difference here.

Ashamedoffellowhuman Ashamedoffellowhuman
Oct '16

I am an employee of Donaldson's, if you're going to shop for vegetables and fresh produce thank you for continuing to support local agriculture, we love the folks at Tranquility.

But Let's try not to kick others when their down, just because accepting a gofundme page idea is publicly visible is that really much different than accepting the helping hand other farmers and business owners have offered since the fire?

Both are outlets for others to feel like they are helping out if they choose to do so, for a donor, it's a matter of preferred method.

Just relax and go eat some celery. It has niacin in it and will help you all feel a little Less stressed over something that isn't even your problem.

Pumpkin Pumpkin
Oct '16

Pampurr your Facebook page states you are from Branchburg, NJ but you are on here claiming to be from a Sussex County farming family?

Can you please provide some transparency as to where you are actually from.

njlawyer njlawyer
Oct '16

Right on Pumpkin!

gwtwqueenie gwtwqueenie
Oct '16

How 'bout them Cubs

Clyde Potts Clyde Potts
Oct '16

NJ lawyer... this is for you.Look again Branchville. NJ..on my Facebook page and for your edification ...thats in Sussex County..where our 50 acre farm was..Does that clear it up for you?

Pampurr Pampurr
Oct '16

I personally think your all crazy. It's like your all in kindergarten fighting over a toy. If you want to donate then do so If not then Don't. Move on already. God and I wish someone would give me a $20.00 tip when I deliver there food.

Pitbulllover4life Pitbulllover4life
Oct '16

How about those Cubs Clyde? Lol!

Jacqui Jacqui
Oct '16

Go Indians! Sorry Cubs peeps.

Calico696 Calico696
Oct '16

Stoppppppppppppppppp

Really???
Oct '16

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.