Trunk or Treat 2016

Anyone know of any Trunk or Treat events on Halloween this year?

Challah Challah
Oct '16

October 27th at Trinity Church.

http://www.catchthespirit.org/community-trunk-treat-oct-27-6-8pm/

Calico696 Calico696
Oct '16

http://www.hopetownship.com/ Hope has it on Mon 10/31

skippy skippy
Oct '16

Great meadows regional school district is hosting one on 10/28 in the parking lot behind central. I believe it starts at 6pm

Mommyof3 Mommyof3
Oct '16

I really wish these did not exist

CraftBeerBob CraftBeerBob
Oct '16

Gethsemane Church on Baldwin st has it on Halloween
I think it starts at 6

tigermom
Oct '16

Why shouldn't they exist?

Challah Challah
Oct '16

Not my idea of Halloween that's it...nothing more nothing less..

Oct '16

Yeah, not the ideal but I live on a dead end street and our only neighbor moved.

Challah Challah
Oct '16

Challah

While it may help you get more Trick or Treaters by setting up at one, it definitely hurts those of us who like the traditional fun of having breathless groups of kids running up to the door and yelling "Trick or Treat" and enjoying the creativity of the kids in preparing their costumes, especially those around Jr. High age who have astounded me at times! The kids get exercise too, so I understand where "CraftBeerBob" is coming from.

I bought four huge bags of candy last year, but the introduction of "Trunk and Treat" drastically reduced the amount of kids coming to my door and I had to give away several bags that were left over. I won't hold over candy until the next year, since it's not fair to the kids who do go around. Even though the "ending" of T & T was at 9 pm in my town (I think), I left my light on and the last few I got were around 9:30 and they definitely got treated, as in handfuls of candy.

I don't care what age you are. If you come to my house in costume for Trick or Treat and say the magic words - you get candy. Until I turn the porch light off, that is. Anyone that puts forth the effort, deserves to get rewarded. That's my philosophy. So if people have a hard time getting out with their kids on that night or want to give out treats and they don't normally get many visitors, then by all means, "Trunk or Treat" is fine, but to me "CraftBeerBob" has the right idea. It ruins a "rite of passage" of growing up and those experiences that we valued as kids, so you won't find me giving out candy at one, unless I do both, but I'll save the lion's share of the candy for those that get out and run from house to house on Halloween.

Phil D. Phil D.
Oct '16

Not all kids live in traditional neighborhoods where they can experience traditional Trick-or-Treating.

Challah Challah
Oct '16

My kids don't live in traditional neighborhood but they meet up with their friends who do and go trick or treating with them on October 31. Not any other day.

Oct '16

Some kids don't have friends they can meet up with.

Challah Challah
Oct '16

Challah

I agree, that's why I mentioned people that have a hard time getting out with their kids, though I should have added that it does help those kids that don't live in neighborhoods where they are able to enjoy a traditional Halloween, so thanks for mentioning that too.

I've known people that do live in very stretched out neighborhoods that are on rural streets that don't allow for safe or handy Trick or Treating that have taken their kids into other neighborhoods to T & T, but just as I mentioned, not everyone has that luxury and are able take them out. Some are too young to meet up with their friends, unlike "CraftBeerBob"s kids, who are able to meet with their friends to go in a group. Unfortunately, it's when folks and/or their kids who live in neighborhoods like mine (where there are TONS of available houses) end up taking the "easy way out" by Trunk or Treating, that it all gets lost/ruined.

When I was store manager of the R&S in Belleville, I bought candy so the kids could come by to Trick or Treat on Halloween. Both my Staff & I, as well as the kids and their parents that dropped by had a blast!

Phil D. Phil D.
Oct '16

A little humor...

http://www.victoriafedden.com/widelawns/2016/10/12/halloween-in-the-70s-vs-today

Point taken. Thank you!!

Oct '16

That was great Bonv, so true!

justintime justintime
Oct '16

That was hilarious Bonv!

I keep it simple though. I watch Horror movies whilst waiting for bell-ringers and keep LOTS of candy that the kids are usually happy to see. Some seem to really like the Wonka-type candy assortment:-)

Phil D. Phil D.
Oct '16

That link was Hilarious Bonv

skippy skippy
Oct '16

Made my day too! Spot on!

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Oct '16

Bonv - Although I laughed at your link, in the end I thought it was quite sad. It's sad the way things have become. Thanks for posting it, maybe it will be a wake-up call for some, but I doubt it.

Calico696 Calico696
Oct '16

I can only speak for my kids and their friends but I don't see Trunk or Treats as a replacement for trick or treating just another event to got to. A chance for my kids to wear their costumes one more day and most importantly hang out with a large group of their friends. Trick or treating they usually just go with a handful of their neighborhood fiends so Trunk or Treat is a chance to hang out with more of their classmates which they enjoy.

Last year there was over 1000 people at the Trunk or Treat it really was a great community celebration. Perhaps it was a replacement for Trick or Treat for the little kids but I don't know of any Elementary or Middle school kids that didn't also go out on Halloween.

Jim L Jim L
Oct '16

" they usually just go with a handful of their neighborhood fiends "

Typo or Freudian slip? (-;

ianimal ianimal
Oct '16

**friends**

lol it was a typo

Jim L Jim L
Oct '16

Jim L

I thought it may be a purposeful pun at first too. After all, we're talking Halloween;-)

Phil D. Phil D.
Oct '16

Is Trinity's rain or shine? Looks like snow showers in the forecast.

concernedparent concernedparent
Oct '16

What weather report are you seeing that says snow?? Everything I've seen so far says the temp will be around 50.

I don't see anything that specifically says rain or shine, but it also looked like there would be the possibility of running some things inside or under a tent. Best to ask them directly, but it looked like the event was going to be held either way.

National Weather Service has a 60% chance of rain or snow for Thursday morning as of a few minutes ago. Saturday, chance of showers in the 60s.

Spring fever Spring fever
Oct '16

WeatherBug .... 40% chance of rain 6pm Thursday . I believe Trinity Church rain date is Friday.

outsider outsider
Oct '16

Saw it on the Patch this morning...forecasted snow showers for parts of NJ, including Warren County.

concernedparent concernedparent
Oct '16

Yes the rain date for the trunk or treat at Trinty is Friday.

Workingmom
Oct '16

Happy Halloween !!! Trunk or Treat or Trick or Treat who cares as long as the kids enjoy the experience !!

Jim L a 1000 people ???

LittleRascal LittleRascal
Oct '16

Workingmom. It has been announced that Trunk or Treat is definitely on for Thursday. Rain, Snow or Shine. If weather conditions do not permit...it will be held inside instead.

Joyful Joyful
Oct '16

Joyful, Trinity Thrift Shop posted on their FB page that Friday is the rain date.

jrsemom jrsemom
Oct '16

concernedparent - "Patch". Useless.

The snow if any time is tomorrow night when the temp could hit freezing. It's not Thursday night during the event.

Re: Trunk or Treat 2016

To clear up any confusion.....

Jim L Jim L
Oct '16

Trinity trunk or treat is still scheduled for Thursday nite rain or shine. If raining it will be held in the church building. Info on Trinity FB page

outsider outsider
Oct '16

Re: Trunk or Treat 2016

Thanks JimL. Someone at Trinity is still confused then.

jrsemom jrsemom
Oct '16

Trinity's Trunk or Treat will be moved indoors today beginning at 6pm. Anyone who signed up to decorate their trunk will be asked to arrive at 5pm to decorate a table. If you have any questions please feel free to visit our Facebook page at: http://bit.ly/2eeOSLI Happy treating everyone!

TrinityChurch
Oct '16

what are the dates this year for trunk or treat?

tigermom2017 tigermom2017
Oct '17

Thursday Oct 26 from 6 to 8 at Trinity

jrsemom jrsemom
Oct '17

The HL Calendar also has a Trunk or Treat on Oct 31 4:30-6:30 at Gethsemane Lutheran.

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.