Disposal of AC unit?

I know you can't just take window AC unit to the dump; does anyone know who to dispose of one? Is there a day when the dump DOES accept these? Or anyone else?

SustainAbilities does not accept them.

JeffersonRepub JeffersonRepub
Sep '16

You usually need to have the Freon drained first before they will accept them, sometimes on clean up days at local dumps they will accept them and charge extra because of the Freon

Wally85 Wally85
Sep '16

According to Hackettstown's DPW website (schedule of events):

The following items containing Freon will be picked up curbside THROUGHOUT THE YEAR at a charge: refrigerators, freezers, and air conditioners. You must purchase a sticker at the Town Hall at 215 Stiger Street between the hours of 9:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m., at the cost of $25.00 per permit (charge is for the removal of Freon). Permits are to be placed on each item and placed curbside. This service will be available to homeowner/residents only – no commercial businesses or apartment buildings.

Nancy Nancy
Sep '16

http://www.hackettstownlife.com/forum/431077#t431163

Zombo Zombo
Sep '16

warren county transfer station takes them for $15 per unit.

This is probably seriously frowned upon, but my father got rid of an old air conditioner by digging a hole in the ground and burying it! 15 years later it's probably still sitting underneath my parent's back yard over in Mansfield...

1988LJ 1988LJ
Sep '16

1988LJ..... I fell off the chair laughing reading about your dads A/C disposal method.

..... I got one for you!

When We lived in Denville, NJ , we lived next door to an older man, that payed his
property taxes with air conditioners and junk metals. y e s!....

He retired at 65, and he would drive around and pick up air conditioners. He cut out the coils; separated the fins and copper by cutting the coils in small squares, then pulling out the tubes. He pulled out the fan motor and separated the steel and actually cut out the copper wire windings.

He then took out the compressors, and buried them in what he called the "Leaf Heap"....in back of the garage. No scrap yard gave money for the compressors because of the lube oil inside the sealed shell.

When he died, I met the new owners of his house, and showed them the burial area.
Low and Behold, they unearthed 67 compressors from the ground just behind the garage.
I just mentioned I caught him burying junk in the back yard one day. I no way intended to get involved!

Embryodad Embryodad
Sep '16

"warren county transfer station takes them for $15 per unit."

I can't find that info anywhere on their site?

Sep '16

Thanks for that info, Nancy.

Sep '16

Metal processing in Belvidere may take it
908-475-2566

BrownEyesGuy BrownEyesGuy
Oct '16

I took two ac's to the dump about a month ago. They take them for 15 bucks a piece.

"I can't find that info anywhere on their site?"

correct. I'm in Hunterdon County and had contacted Hunterdon County initially about what to do with A/C unit and was directed to Warren County Transfer. I have another unit to get rid of and called 2 months ago to verify they were still taking them since they aren't mentioned and was told they are.

So do you just drive up to the scale and pay them? Or do the AC units have to be taken someplace else?

Oct '16

Still go to the scale house and you go to the left when you pull off the scale. There's a lot with ac's and refrigerators and you dump them there.

Thanks wp!

Oct '16

JR, your not going to shoot it up? Old TV's, air conditioners, cars, mattresses, etc. are the most fun for target practice.

auntiel auntiel
Oct '16

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.