Maltese or Yorkie breeders

Just wondering if anyone can recommend a maltese or yorkie breeder in NJ. Thank you for your help!

annuniz annuniz
Sep '16

If you Google "_________" breed club NJ, you can find both national & state clubs for any specific dog breed - can then contact a rep from the club to put you in touch with reputable (vs. backyard) breeders in your area. There are also breed-specific rescues if you want to go that route.

Davis Davis
Sep '16

Within 25 miles Petfinder lists 16 Yorkies, and 9 Maltese. Please consider that option.

Rescue...... please

Dallas Dallas
Sep '16

I would love to rescue but Maltese or yorkie breed hard to find. I have been searching for months

Annuniz Annuniz
Sep '16

Just as Davis suggested...you should definitely be able to find that info. Online. There are breed specific rescues, but that may be hit/miss depending on your preferences.
I find it funny when people ask about a breeder and they get responses to consider adoption?? I'm pretty sure most adults are fully aware of the many rescues out there lol.
Of course I fully support adoption and several of my own pets were rescued, but there has and will always be people breeding and desiring Specific types of dogs for various reasons. I have also purchased from breeders.

Go to any red barn in Lancaster County, probably any breed you want. Please consider rescue first over a breeder. A breeder is a breeder, is a breeder..... If you go that route, ask to see mother and father and conditions they live in .... Adopt don't shop.

Nature Lover Nature Lover
Sep '16

FYI - Google a story on a pup name "Libre" in PA - Speranza Rescue. This pup was given a second chance, but many were not so lucky.

Nature Lover Nature Lover
Sep '16

Please be aware that many pups from rescues actually come from those very same barns in Lancaster County - a puppy mill. If you want a breeder that breeds for conformation and temperament - not for the money, you can begin here.
http://marketplace.akc.org/puppies

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Sep '16

Thanks for the input. Again I would rescue over purchase but can't find the maltese or yorkie breed. I would never get a puppy from Lancaster they are nothing but puppy mills. And for the record I have a cat that is rescued.

Annuniz Annuniz
Sep '16

Annuniz - Petfinder.com has over 30 maltese & yorkies currently available from rescues in the Warren/Sussex/Morris area. There are rescues specifically for maltese or yorkies in NJ - they will have even more. They are plenty to choose from.

gc. I just looked again there are no full bred maltese or yorkie on petfinder within 25 miles. I searched Maltese and yorkie rescues. There are none in Nj.

Annuniz Annuniz
Sep '16

There is one little guy but he is not socialized with small children. Maybe I'm looking on the wrong website. Gc

Annuniz Annuniz
Sep '16

A lot of the time, Pet Finder calls dogs or cats a certain breed, but they really aren't. They are usually a mix. When I was trying to get a Siamese cat, all of the cats they had listed as Siamese, were not full Siamese. I tried a bunch of Siamese rescue organizations as well and all of their cats at the time were either really old or not really Siamese.

Some people want a pure bred animal specifically for the traits that the breed exhibits. When not full bred, it's a toss up.

Annuniz - My neighbor has a Yorkie that is pure bred. I will ask her for the breeder info. Not sure if she got the dog locally or not.

Calico696 Calico696
Sep '16

Exactly. They are all mixes and a rescue can only guess at what breeds are in the make up of an animal they have rescued.

Nothing against rescues and adopting, but if someone is looking for a purebred animal, the only way to do it is to go to a breeder.

And there are many reasons why people want purebred dogs, and one should NOT have to defend oneself for wanting one.

@Naturelover re: your comment, "a breeder is a breeder...." Please. You know you are wrong, as does everyone else. I have no idea why you would bother to post such nonsense.

The hundreds of beautiful and unique dog breeds throughout the world have been developed by humans over hundreds, maybe thousands, of years to meet specific needs and have certain predictable characteristics. All of our breeds would disappear without breeders. But of course no one considers that.

Rebecka Rebecka
Sep '16

Thank you so much CAlico696

Annuniz Annuniz
Sep '16

Annuniz - You're definitely doing something wrong then. I did do a search for Yorkie that shows the 16 are sometimes a mix with a second breed. But the following are *all* Yorkie and with 25 mi:

Bingo - Home Sweet Home Rescue, Denville
Miles - Green Mile Rescue, Morris Plains
Betty - Camp Papillion, Stroudsburg
Millie - Center for Animal Health & Welfare, Easton
Scooter - Second Chance, Oak Ridge
Scamp - Second Chance, Oak Ridge
Nino - Second Chance, Oak Ridge
Whitnee - Save A Yorkie, Nazareth

https://www.petfinder.com/pet-search?location=07840&animal=dog&breed=Yorkshire+Terrier+Yorkie&distance=25

"Rescue Me Yorkie" is a Yorkie specific rescue in NJ, that Save A Yorkie is across the border in Nazareth PA.

A reputable breeder is far different from a puppy mill in PA as well as a back yard breeder. They know their dogs lineage and are picky about to whom they sell their puppies to. They will be able to show paperwork on their dogs and will have one or both parents on the premise.
There is know way the rescues know the specific breed unless they have some back ground information on the dogs which is rare. Just because a dog looks like a specific breed doesn't mean that's what it is. You also may not be able to get a dog as young as you like or they may tell you he is younger hoping to adopt him out quicker. They can only estimate the age. Many also come with various health/behavior problems.
Again there are pros/cons to both situations.

She is not doing anything wrong, GC. Those are all mixes with the exception of Whitney, who apparently has a serious and expensive illness which not everyone can commit to caring for.

A friend of mine who knows Malteses has just gotten back to me, Annuniz, and said to check out/contact Chrisman Maltese. They might be able to refer you to other reputable breeders if they do not currently have pups available, too.

Rebecka Rebecka
Sep '16

There is no such thing as a reputable breeder. They are selling living, breathing beings for money. That's just disgusting.

There are so many dogs out there that are in desperate need of a good home. Every time someone buys from a store or breeder, a shelter dog dies because they were not chosen.

Adopt don't shop!!!

rose123 rose123
Sep '16

Radicalism is a scary thing indeed.

Rebecka Rebecka
Sep '16

People have a right and their own reasons for wanting to purchase from a breeder and there is nothing wrong with that.
People sell kids for money and they are living, breathing beings. We have plenty of kids here that are in foster homes in need of a permanent family, right?
Different people have different reasons for wanting different things.

And adoption isn't free either... Last time I adopted it was close to $300 to get the dog. Of course that's less than I paid for my purebreds but it was still money that's being exchanged for the pet.

Second Chance is an amazing rescue organization; worth the trip :)
Both myself, my Mom and my Mother - in- Law got dogs from them ( two from my Mom were Maltese) , and they ALL were wonderful dogs :)

Top of the line dedication and love to their rescues !

Gee... getting harder and harder for people to get a puppy..OF THEIR CHOOSING? I saw this coming 10 years ago.
Even though pet owners, in NJ, are obligated to pay higher license fees, for un-spayed pets, for the "pet overpopulation" fund.... the "rescues" do the same thing pet stores do. When they run out of "stock", they head south, buy or confiscate more "adoptable" pets and re-home them, up here. The volunteers are wonderful, for doing what they feel is right, but the owners of the rescues, know better. The director's and the presidents of these rescues usually take a pretty hefty paycheck. You have to pay to relinquish a dog, and if you're broke, they won't even talk to you, let alone be interested in the outcome of your beloved pet. Seen it personally. Have a litter of puppies, or a small, desirable, healthy young breed? Then, they will negotiate to a lower fee. Puppies? They will grab in a heartbeat, no charge. There's always a waiting list, for puppies and small breeds. They are "P.C." pet stores. Operate pretty much the same, only most of the help is free and most of the supplies and care is covered through many donations and fund raisers.
I am grateful to the volunteers who have pet rescuing, in their hearts. Just not to happy, that the pet stores are masked as nonprofit and propaganda that caused a puppy shortage (especially mix breeds. How do you think "designer breeds", came to be so popular)

sparksjbc1964 sparksjbc1964
Sep '16

We have also had difficulty finding Maltese breeders. We searched the tri-state and had no luck. I agree with going to a breeder if you need to ensure that it is a pure breed. If the dogs are coming from Missouri, they are puppy mill or one step away. The term broker was used and I kinda fell for it- like he was merely a transporter for people that couldn't find any nearby. I've been to almost every shelter from here to Newark. I've rescued dogs and had to actually return 2 two - absolutely already fallen in love with them and heart broken because they were wrong about the breed or dishonest. I have severe allergies and young children. I'm sure I have purchased two dogs that came from a mother that was the one step away from a puppy mill. Over breeding and selling dogs for 50 bucks. Pet store got 1500. One was near death and I had to buy him to save him. The pet stores, Jusr Pups, have been shut down. So- moral of my story. Educate yourself about the breeders and travel yourself to get them or rescue one directly from a person that has lived with the animal without any middle people. I'm already cringing at the comments I'm going to get but I just wanted to share my 2 cents. Our government needs to make the changes from the top- letting that dog die in the pet store just wasn't something I could do. I hope you find your forever companion. I love Malteses!

It is fine to buy from a reputable breeder. I always rescue, cats, dogs turtles, etc... Not everybody is willing to adopt a dog of an unknown breed because you really have no idea what you are getting. If people are looking for specific traits in a pet that is fine, dogs and cats are less likely to end up in a shelter if the owner makes an educated decision about what they are looking for in a pet. We rescued our dogs at 3 months old almost 10 years ago. They are not litter mates but they were listed as your typical "shepherd mix". My dogs are anything but shepherd. What they are are two very active escape artists that have cost us a small fortune in fencing. Not to mention the shedding. I love my dogs, a lot! But not everyone wants to deal with unexpected behavioral traits of mutts rescued from shelters and it is unfair to assume that everyone is capable of that. Rescuing a dog that someone is incapable of handling is only going to end up with the dog being returned to the shelter. Rescuing a pure bred adult is an option but if you have small children it may not always be the best choice. Also, some rescues are beyond picky about who they adopt to. I know two wonderful pet owners who had to go to breeders because they both owned condos. They were looking for dogs under 20 pounds but no rescue would give them a dog because they didn't have a fenced yard. Most importantly, you should not judge people choices because you have no idea what their circumstances are.
Good luck finding your puppy, Annuniz!!!

Jesse123 Jesse123
Sep '16

I see both sides to this issue and not one situation suits everyone's needs. I had rescues all of my life and volunteered my time at a shelter. My dream dog was to own a Rottie. This breed requires an experienced owner and a lot of training. I would have loved to rescue but with a child in my home, I wasn't willing to take a risk of adopting a Rottie with issues. I went to a reputable breeder who was a code of ethics breeder and was very stringent on his owner selections. His female was bred with the top Rottweiler in the country and there was a waiting list for the puppies. His dogs live with him and his wife in their home and not out in some barn. They treat them like their babies and only breed their females twice. He visited my home and met with me a few times. The condition of me getting one of the puppies was that I had show it in conformation. There were more qualified potential owners but I got one because I lived so close to him. I have a great relationship with my breeder and my boy gets to go home and visit his mom and siblings once in a while. I couldn't ask for a better temperament from my dog.

Jazzykatt Jazzykatt
Sep '16

I asked my neighbor where she got her Yorkie. She said her son got her from a friend. She's going to get me the info. She's not sure if it's a breeder, or if they just had a litter.

Calico696 Calico696
Sep '16

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.