Van Registration

I need some help from the wise people here bf I call the motor vehicle agency and sound like a fool. Recently I renewed my registration for my Honda Odyssey and for the first time(in 10 years) instead of just shoving it into the glove box I actually read it. It states that my vehicle is an 8 passenger, which it is not, it is a 7 passenger; 4 individual seats, and the 3 person in the rear. When I looked it up it says that my vehicle is considered a commuter vehicle taking people back and forth daily. My van is used only for personal use. Are all minivans considered commuter vehicles? My van is over 10 years old and weighs 3,300lbs..

abigail abigail
Sep '16

abigail - The price of registration is based on age + weight. My Honda Civic is over 3,300 lbs so there's no way your van is that kind of weight. It's probably right about 4,300 lbs. The cutoff for cheaper registration is 3,500 lbs so there's no way you'll make it. The price whether it's a regular vehicle or "commuter van" is the exact same so long as it exceeds the 3,500 lbs. So there's really not much point for DMV.

Instead of calling DMV, I would be more worried about the insurance rate and call my agent. I'd want to be sure there's no extra insurance based on the wrong classification.

I own an escalade and we are registered an 8, which is the weight class to determine the weight of the vehicle.
The lighter the classes, the less money. So you are considered a weight class 8. It doesn't go by the amount of seats in the vehicle.
You should also be a passenger class 15.
I could be wrong, but that's what I remember being told by dmv.

Thank you so very much for your help.. I had to get a replacement title about 5 years ago, and they typed in that it was an eight passenger vehicle instead of it being a 7..Guess it is my fault for not noticing..Me, learning to double check everything, sheesh :)

abigail abigail
Sep '16

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.