Hackettstown Board of Ed new members?

Does anyone know who will be running for the Board of Ed yet? I believe three people seats need to be filled. And how long is Bordi going to be on there for???? He should get off of there

just saying just saying
Aug '16

We need people on that board that are going to save tax payers some money .

Go for it, DSS!!!

My name is Michele La Faso Wehmeyer and I am running for a position on the Board of Ed in November. My mother, myself and my daughter are all life long residents of Hackettstown and all went through the school system. I am recently semi retired from a position in property management and now own my own business. I feel it is time to give back to what Hackettstown has given to my family and I. Your support in the November election would be appreciated!!

Michele wehmeyer Michele wehmeyer
Aug '16

What is your platform Michele? What are you looking to improve/change or add?

Does anyone know who else is running?

just saying just saying
Sep '16

http://www.co.warren.nj.us/CountyClerk/Download/2016%20School%20Board%20Candidate%20List.pdf

http://www.co.warren.nj.us/CountyClerk/elec_dates_candidates.html

Mike Herbst and Mary Beth Maciag are seeking reelection.
Michele Wehmeyer is a new Candidate
Looks like Bo Soobryan is not seeking reelection

http://www.hackettstown.org/domain/29

so 3 open spots and only 3 candidates. Oh and Bordi was just reelected last year so his term doesn't expire until 2018.

Jim L Jim L
Sep '16

I have a very well rounded back ground in property management which could bring a lot to the Board. I feel as a new Board Member I should first listen and learn with what the issues are before I say I have a platform. I certainly will say I have no agenda!!!!

Michele Wehmeyer Michele Wehmeyer
Sep '16

A welcome change is needed, hopefully new members will do what the people vote them in to do and look out for the interests of the kids instead of being Mango's Puppets! Is this guy really worth his salary plus bonuses?
Hear that Mr. President, enough said!

Concerned Parent Concerned Parent
Sep '16

Concerned Parent - Did you file to run? Or apply for the current Vacant Seat?

Long Time Townie
Sep '16

My kids have graduated, thank goodness. Maybe it is not possible for concern parent to attend meetings. Not everyone works 9-5 type jobs and can run for the board. Just saying don't assume everyone should run for the board of ed if they have issues. Many people who are living in this area work second or rotating shifts.

Geekdad Geekdad
Sep '16

what a lame defense of concerned parent! You going to tell me that such a "concerned parent" doesn't have time to attend meetings once a month? Ok we go with that lame excuse, then how about recruiting a friend or neighbor with similar view to run for a position? The last 3 elections went uncontested as did a recent vacancy. Why can't such a "concerned parent" write a letter or make a call with some constructive criticism rather than post anonymously here? Come to a meeting, send an e mail, get involved -been saying that forever, but its just easier for you to criticize with no real facts. This board listens and reacts well to the community it serves. I am tired of a few malcontents who want to throw mud at this board. Call me or e mail, I have nothing to hide and certainly willing to listen.

“Service is the rent we pay for being. It is the very purpose of life, and not something you do in your spare time.

Gus Bordi Gus Bordi
Sep '16

Well said Gus.

My wife would be ecstatic if I wasn't on the BOE! It takes a lot more time than some would think. Add that on top of family, sports, band, school, making a living - it all eats away at your time.

I see LTT's point - run, or please come to the meetings to have your voices heard. I personally love the feedback. It helps in the decision making and I know it has influenced the outcome.

Please - get involved everyone!

Shawn Burke
Sep '16

If you can't make a meeting and have a question or a concern, send an email and copy all the board members. They will respond and answer your questions if they can be answered. You have to remember that anything having to do with personnel issues may not be able to be answered directly. . I have done this in the past when my schedule did not allow me to attend a meeting and I always received a response to my questions..

michelemorp michelemorp
Sep '16

Fyi...Gus, you crack me up. I have been to board meetings, and the superintendent is nasty and rude. We can talk about the recent Warren. special ed debacle, or the football coach session. Rude and arrogant is a kind description of Mango. Some of us have work schedules and cannot make our own hours. Do you think a nurse who works full time second shift (3-12) can just rearrange their schedule?

To you and your crew, the public is the enemy. I clearly remember the look of disgust on your face (and Mango`s) as special ed parents spoke out at a board meetings. The anger at Mrs. Sarcone for her beautiful words, he sit her off every chance he got. List goes on.

Geekdad Geekdad
Sep '16

Geekdad -

If I remember correctly, the input from the public positively influenced the decision on both the Coach and Special Ed issues. So whats your point?

You clearly have an ax to grind - were you or yours hurt personally by something Bordi or Mango did? If so speak to them directly instead of anonymously posting on here. Also - please identify the specific instances where either were rude and we can all easily verify same by reviewing the tapes.

At least the 2 BOE members signed their names. How about you doing the same if you're going to sling mud on here.

Or how about you apply for the open seat? And don't give us that make their own hours nonsense. On the board now are doctors, retirees, medical professionals, teachers - Lots of working people with their own lives and responsibilities as near as I can tell. They fit it in.

Long Time Townie
Sep '16

Gus, as President of the Hackettstown BOE, it's VERY disingenuous of you to say that being a BOE member is "one meeting a month". Anyone who's ever been part of a BOE knows that it's far, far more than that. There are committee meetings, work sessions, planning meetings, interviews, school functions, and more phone calls and emails than one can imagine. Not everyone is able to commit the amount of time it takes to do the job and do it well.

sumerrain1 sumerrain1
Sep '16

I love it, get the video.

Bessie Bessie
Sep '16

sumerrain you are correct it is more time than just that and all the former and current members certainly realize that. My point i was trying to make was someone can be constructive rather than negative in various ways. As Shawn pointed out this board and many before them have always listened to community input at meetings or responded to emails & phone calls. This forum however, has skewed any positive community input and only focused on the non specific negatives. It's a shame because its a great community with wonderful dedicated teachers, administrators and support personnel. I only hope that this community would continue to be more involved in a positive constructive way.
Enough with the name calling and derogatory comments, its non productive and does no good for the community at large.

Gus Bordi Gus Bordi
Sep '16

How would you work second shift hours? In car you are unfamiliar, that is 3-11:30 pm. Only axe to grind are the pathetic criteria he sets or YOU do for all the excessive merit payments. Bob Gratz we miss you.

Geekdad Geekdad
Sep '16

Hmm...I'm going to add my two cents. I for one am for Mango and Gus Bordi and all the other members. There were two issues...one being the Booster clubs and the other an issue with the length of sport uniforms. The BOE was unfamiliar with what goes into a booster club. They were open to listening and problem was solved. With the other issue that got way blown out of the water because people were playing telephone, that too was squashed in a matter of hours. Ok you can say this is small issues. But my point is, they listened got all the facts from all the right people and solved the issues.

I no longer have a child through the schools. But I can tell you on a personal level my child was struggling with an academic class and needed this to graduate. Because the BOE cares so much about the children...they were there for my child and low and behold graduated.

All those who rave about Mr. Gratz obviously has no idea what went on behind the scenes. Shall we remind you of the turf field that for some reason a lot of people bash this administration for it when they weren't even around yet. And also how about the new gym and how poorly that was built where they needed a new roof and the bleachers can't come out all the way. And who said yes to those plans.,.Gratz.

The issue I see in this town is a lot of people don't want change and are afraid of it.

The Mango and as some will say, his puppets on a string, have done some wonderful changes for the good of your children.

Sit down with Mango one on one he is a very nice person that wants to hear what you have to say. He isn't nor is anyone else on the BOE here to hurt or hinder your child's education.

If you feel that way, go to a meeting speak your mind. Like Gus said, send an email.

Stop complaining if you're not going to do anything about how you feel.

This is just my opinion

Htownlifer Htownlifer
Sep '16

just to remind everyone, especially Geekdad...Gratz left because he didn't want a pay cut...

http://www.lehighvalleylive.com/warren-county/index.ssf?/base/news-3/1290229533143220.xml&coll=3

Gratz said a state-mandated superintendent salary cap "put me in a situation where I have to look at other options." The cap will cut his pay by $40,000 if he stays in Hackettstown.

The 57-year-old Gratz said he has "ultimate respect" for the local community and is proud of the Hackettstown district's accomplishments in his five years there, but said the larger Freehold Regional district represents "a capstone opportunity for my career."
Gratz's contract with Hackettstown provides him about $195,000 in salary and benefits this year. Under the cap formula, his pay would be reduced to a maximum of $155,000 in Hackettstown.

"I will not take a rollback in my salary at this point in my career," Gratz said. "I will also say that at this point in my career, I'm not ready to retire."

Extension talks ended

Truth Truth
Sep '16

Just to set the record straight......Mr. Gratz inherited the problems with the new gym from the previous superintendent, Joann Calabro. He wasn't even in the district when the new gym was constructed!

SuseeQ SuseeQ
Sep '16

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.