What to do with plethora of Cucumbers?

I have cucumbers up the wazoooooo and please tell me what I can make with them!
They are not pickling cucumbers they are regular ones with seeds and quite big, most of them.
Looking for ideas -- Thanks!!!

LVRes LVRes
Aug '16

Cucumber onion salad

skippy skippy
Aug '16

1) Cold or frozen slices are very soothing for your eyes..helps reduce puffiness under eyes.

2) The juice makes for a great facial.

3) a slice in a glass of water is very refreshing.

4) cucumber, basil, tomato and spinach salad

5) cut them lengthwise and dice, add them to macaroni, potato and pasta salads

6) make cucumber juice?

positive positive
Aug '16

If you are local perhaps donate some to the food pantry at Trinity Church. There are so many needy people who would truly enjoy them. God bless!

I agree with Skippy. I took cucumbers - skin off made into thin slices, onions, and carrots and put them into a mixture of vinegar, water, and sugar. Let it marinate for awhile in the frig - delicious!

Cold Cucumber Soup

I LOVE LOVE LOVE this --- you can make with all cucumbers, all zucchini, or mix both.

3-4 cucumbers (remove skin if tough or store-bought cuc's)
large onion
3 Tb. flour
1 Tb. oil
1 cup plain yogurt (or greek yogurt)

Slice cucumbers & onion.
Put oil & 3 Tb water in large saucepan; add vegetables. Cover & cook over low heat until tender, about 30 minutes.
Stir in the flour and mix well. Add 2 cups water. Bring to a boil, stirring occasionally.
Remove from heat and puree (I use a blender)
Mix in yogurt and chill until very cold.
You can add chopped herbs if you like -- mint or parsley.

LVres --- if your cuc's are overgrown I suggest slicing lengthwise first and scooping out the seeds or they will make your soup grainy.

happiest girl
Aug '16

Make tzatziki with yogurt, olive oil, a touch of dill and garlic to taste. All blended smooth.

Even if they're not really pickling, I throw sliced cucumbers, taragon, cider vinegar, sugar, and two table spooks of sour cream in a container and put it in the fridge. A fridge version of creamed cucumbers.

I was going to suggest cucumber soup, that's been covered nicely.

PB&C - Peanut butter and sliced cucumbers between two slices of bread.

Jerusalem salad - equally sized cubes of tomato, onion, and cucumbers all tossed together

Tabouli - large bunch of parsley chopped fine, chopped tomato, chopped cucumber all dressed with lemon juice and bulgar cracked wheat sprinkled on top

Cucumber soup or fridge pickles.

Fridge pickles are super eazy. Peel, slice, put in salt. Make brine (boil vinegar sugar water). Drain cukes, add brine, wait, decant into fridge containers and put in fridge. Done. Last for months. Hint: the cooler the brine, the crsper the pickle.

Strangerdanger Strangerdanger
Aug '16

If you're making tzatziki sauce, be sure to make gyro-spiced meatballs to go with it.

Also, whenever you're making anything with grated, sliced or diced cucumber, make sure to put them in a colander inside a bowl and liberally salt them. Let sit for about an hour to draw out all the excess moisture. Otherwise, you will wonder why everything is so soupy... except for the soup, that will be watery (-;

ianimal ianimal
Aug '16

The cucumber soup and tzatziki both sound delicious.

I wonder if you can do a bread with cucumbers like a zucchini bread?

positive positive
Aug '16

I make a cucumber mint lime cooler, rum optional (mandatory for calico).

Pickle them. I canned about 6 quarts the other night. You can make pickles, relish, etc.

Make a cold cucumber soup similar to happiest girl's, with cilantro, lemon, and some cayenne pepper added, delete the flour. Also added some avocado. Didn't heat anything though, made it all in a food processor. Came out really good.

MeisterNJ MeisterNJ
Aug '16

Cucumber martinis...

http://www.evilmadscientist.com/2011/improved-cucumber-martinis/

This has the added benefit of extracting the excess "juice" from the cucumber, leaving the diced pulp that can be used to make your tzatziki. And there's nothing like a few gyro meatballs after a couple stiff drinks (-;

ianimal ianimal
Aug '16

That's a good one too, ianimal.

MeisterNJ MeisterNJ
Aug '16

Bring them to work with you. A guy I work with is producing too much out of his garden and brings them to work with him. They're gone quickly.

Metsman Metsman
Aug '16

I bring stuff to work all the time. I'm inundated with cherry tomatoes.

MeisterNJ MeisterNJ
Aug '16

Cucumber cannon with PvC and hairspray !

skippy skippy
Aug '16

Skippy - A cucumber is a horrible thing to waste. Not to mention igniting hairspray is neither the most mature nor the most safe thing to do... ;-)

"I make a cucumber mint lime cooler, rum optional (mandatory for calico)."

Yum, can you make it with vodka instead of rum?

Calico696 Calico696
Aug '16

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.