Beyer BBQ in Great Meadows

Just stopped at the new BBQ stand next to 1st Hope Bank in Great Meadows. Wow!!! All smoked BBQ. Absolutely delicious. get there fast.. theyre gonna sell out quick if its that good. Hope they stick around.

Danny 123
Aug '16

Sounds great. Will have to stop by.

Mansfield mama Mansfield mama
Aug '16

We just discovered the deliciousness that is Piggys. Great to know there's another option:)

Blackcat Blackcat
Aug '16

It's a tent with some cooking on a barbecue

Bug3
Aug '16

Any set hours thar it is open???

Aug '16

We drove by there today and did not realize that this was a BBQ place. We will try it tomorrow if it is open for business..

Joyful Joyful
Aug '16

We are so excited that this new business venture has made it to Hackettstown life! Beyer BBQ is a fully licensed LLC. Our goal is to provide our customers with the absolute best BBQ experience. To do so we are only serving the highest quality meats. Our chicken and pork are sourced from Local New Jersey and Pennsylvania Family Owned Farms, No Antibiotics, No Steroids, Free Range Deliciousness. Our beef is the best you can buy! Piedmontese Beef, which is equivalent to Wagu, except cleaner.
We will be at First Hope Bank in Independence every Saturday starting at 11:00a.m. We think that it is important the mention our Twice Fried Fresh Cut French Fries, they are worth the trip in themselves. All of our sandwiches are served on the finest New Jersey Bakery Breads, and we proudly serve Local Boylan Soda. You can't miss us on the side of the road, we are that tent that serves the absolute best BBQ in Warren County! Please Come down and check us out. You won't be disappointed!

Beyer BBQ
Aug '16

I saw the Beyers place today.Do they have sanitary inspections from the town and Warren County. Not stopping there until the place has been inspected and approved.

Urf, I'm just going to say take a fkin gamble once in a while.

Well then Well then
Aug '16

Urf, I suppose you also don't purchase baked goods at bake sales or lemonade from little kids on the side of the road either, eh?

btownguy btownguy
Aug '16

Please be open more days!!! Now I have to wait till next Saturday to enjoy your food.

Aug '16

I agree with Urf, I'm not going unless everything is sanitary, including the napkins!!

It looked insanely Clean gloves and all He came off as highly educated individual not some hillybilly setup pork was awesome !!!!

Farm boy
Aug '16

"Thank goodness for Urf. Her opinions on this forum are great. She will be very helpful when this place shuts down. Her snide comments are always welcome."

btownguy - Some Shoprite employees only buy from their own store.

I seriously doubt that they would be set up where they are, just down the street from town hall, without the proper permits!

Deviljet
Aug '16

Sounds Great !! What are the Prices for this delicious food? Menu?

Best of Luck !!!

LittleRascal LittleRascal
Aug '16

If you've ever eaten food from a fair or a lunch truck you can't say much about the cleanliness of a BBQ tent.

Robbetggrobber
Aug '16

Tried it yesterday as I LOVE bbq and pulled a u turn after I saw Beyer's. Got the sampler for $15. The silverskin was still on the ribs which is a general no-no on bbq ribs. The brisket was served on a roll with one pickle slice. Not very good, pickle had little flavor and the brisket had no smokey flavor. All of the meats, ribs, brisket, pulled pork and chicken leg were dry as a bone. Hopefully they are just working some kinks out. One man's opinion, everyone has different tastes.

Also, who owns that property as it was the old firehouse? Does the town own that and they rent/permit to be there?

youngen youngen
Aug '16

Not sure, but I think the bank owns it.

Magpie Magpie
Aug '16

You are correct Magpie, the fire dept sold that lot to Hope Bank in 2010.

http://tax1.co.monmouth.nj.us/cgi-bin/sr.cgi?&district=2112&ms_user=&srnum=3009235&block=22&lot=44&qual=

youngen ,Urf .
You two should go to town hall tomorrow and voice your concerns, that way you can make an ass of yourself there like you have here.

Strange that I couldn't find any other posts by either of you. But then again you may just might be two troublemakers new to the forum.

The Man The Man
Aug '16

urf = old man among others

Brad2
Aug '16

The man
I tried something and offered my opinion on the taste. If that makes me an ass so be it. And I was just curious who owned the property sorry I don't have enough free time to go to the town municipal building and pull the records myself.

For being THE MAN your panties sure are in a twist. Also, why don't try to re-educate yourself on that search function and you'll see I post sporadically since 2013. Mostly because unless you post something in conformity with the huddled masses on this forum, your crucified.

younggen younggen
Aug '16

Urf has posted many times this year at least also.

Gypsy BBQ --- I like it!

As long as they don't branch out into seafood..... :>0::::::

strangerdanger strangerdanger
Aug '16

younggen - If you ever need it, you don't have to go anywhere to find out property ownership. NJ deeds are public record and available online to anyone at:

http://tax1.co.monmouth.nj.us/cgi-bin/prc6.cgi?&ms_user=monm&passwd=data&srch_type=0&adv=0&out_type=0&district=2108

There's no hiding who owns what, when they bought it, and for how much. And all available to the world from the comfort of your own chair. ;-)

Thanks GC, it always takes me more time than I like to sniff this one out.

Always a fun site to verify whether you are keeping up with the Jones'. And to assess the best houses to hit..... :>(

One place I lived posted from the tax rolls --- pictures and even floor plans. So helpful in your work as a burglar to have floor plans on file :>) Idiots.

Aug '16

Thank You to younggen for calling out the clique on this forum.I am reluctant to stop at roadside foodstands after suffering through food poisoning.

This thread got off topic pretty quick. The owner came on and said he has a legal company. So I would bet be was smart enough to get insurance and health department inspections. If his food is good enjoy it. If its not for you move on.

Hot under the collar
Aug '16

No, he said that he has a "limited liability" company... meaning that if you get sick and die, you can't sue him personally. Your estate might be able to get his smoker and tent though (-;

ianimal ianimal
Aug '16

I suffered through food poising I got at a restaurant, satisfactory certificate doesn't always guarantee safe. Just another thought. I can't wait to try the barbecue at Beyer BBQ.

Bessie Bessie
Aug '16

Beyer BBQ is a fully licensed and permitted food establishment. We Pride ourselves on serving the highest quality meats, breads, and soda. I fully understand any concerns about food safety, as I have been a victim of food poisoning myself. The nice thing about our establishment is that we make all of our products in front of you as you watch. You will see that we follow the highest preparation standards and care deeply about the quality of the product we serve.
Youngen- We are sorry that our tastes in High Quality BBQ does not align with your taste. Please come back this Saturday and we will give you a full refund. If it is more sauce that you prefer please ask and your next purchase will be free.
We plan on being being ready for full lunch service at 11am this Saturday. Please come down and check us out for yourselves. You will not be disappointed!

Beyer BBQ
Aug '16

I've eaten Beyer BBQ for years, before he started a stand. Quality and cleanliness will never be an issue! It's been one day! Give him a chance to tailor/tweak his process to fit what he is trying to offer.

Old Pappy's BBQ
Aug '16

Thanks Beyer BBQ for answering the questions. Do you smoke your foods onsite or are they prepared and smoked somewhere else?

Hot under the collar
Aug '16

Is this going to be an all year stand or just while the weather is good ?

Mariann Mariann
Aug '16

Hi Beyer,
No need to worry yourself. I have different tastes than most. As I previously implied it just wasn't for me or what I am used to. I do appreciate the offer and wish you all the best in your endeavor. I try to support local business as much as possible and will be back at some point to try it again and hope I just caught you on an off day.

Good Luck!

youngen youngen
Aug '16

Come down and check out Beyer BBQ Tomorrow! We will be serving the finest Brisket, Pulled Pork, Ribs, and Chicken starting at 11am. We will also be serving the best fries in town! It's the perfect start to a long Labor Day Weekend!

Beyer BBQ
Sep '16

Beyer --
Would like to know if your fries are vegetarian?
Thanks!

happiest girl
Sep '16

Stopped by today- brisket was awesome! Two enthusiastic thumbs up!

Fries are made from potatoes... last I knew they were vegetables. That would make them vegetarian, no? Lol

btownguy btownguy
Sep '16

btownguy - Not if you fried them in pork fat. Usually it's what kind of oil that is the question.

I stopped by Beyer BBQ this afternoon and ordered the Sampler + pickle, fries & a Boylan's soda. I received generous helpings of brisket, pulled pork, chicken and ribs. My family and I really enjoyed the food!

Nick Scalera Photo Nick Scalera Photo
Sep '16

Mmmm....pork fat.... Love it.

It's all about the oil, btownguy.

I always ask because some places use animal fats.
I just recently had to forgo my breakfast potatoes at Donna Jean's diner in N.H. because they were made with bacon fat.

GC -- YOU were intelligent enough to know that !!
LOL

happiest girl
Sep '16

Greg - You bet. Fry the bacon, fry the potatoes, then fry the eggs. Never pour off the best part of morning!! ;-)

Beyer BBQ in Great Meadows

Had some super delicious BBQ yesterday. The sampler has a little taste of everything including two slider sandwiches that were soooo good! The ribs are also tender and meaty. Will definitely be going back! Great having a quick easy meal option right down the road. Thanks Beyer BBQ!

Mizmag
Sep '16

happiest girl - Does peanut oil work for you?

DannyC DannyC
Sep '16

Beyer BBQ will be serving the finest brisket, pulled pork, ribs, chicken and french fries starting at 11am today! Come on down and fill your belly!

Beyer BBQ
Sep '16

I tried it today, got a pulled pork sandwich
Very good, and alot of meat! They are local guys too, you Hackettstown MIDDLE School parents will recognize one of the owners there

Deviljet
Sep '16

Beyer BBQ ---- what kind of oil do you use for the fries? All vegetarian?
Are they fried by themselves or do they share the oil with the chicken?

Danny - yes, for me it's OK, but it is rare to find a place that fries in peanut oil as so many people are allergic to peanuts. In fact whenever I ask if the oil is vegetable oil, I get a "yes, not peanut oil, vegetable oil, not peanut."

happiest girl
Sep '16

Our fries are fried in vegetable oil, and they do not come into contact with any meat. Thanks you to everyone who came out to Beyer BBQ today! We sold out at 1:30! We hope everyone has a great weekend!

Beyer BBQ
Sep '16

Do you have an online menu?

Hot under the collar
Sep '16

We stopped today, had the sample plate, everything was delicious. It's hard to pick my favorite but I will say the brisket was one of the best I've ever had. Loved the sauces on everything. Good luck, hope to see you around for a while.

Bessie Bessie
Sep '16

It's a beautiful day! Don't forget to stop down and get your fill of Beyer BBQ!

Beyer BBQ
Sep '16

I am going to stop after work around 1 to try it out. I hope it is not sold out by then!

just saying is all just saying is all
Sep '16

Hi what is the store hours? Only Saturday?

Mary Ann Mary Ann
Sep '16

What are the hours today?

Their Facebook page say Saturdays 10-6 for hours.

https://www.facebook.com/beyerbbq/

Calico696 Calico696
Sep '16

Unless they sell out early. Will have to try them soon.

Sep '16

I just ran down there to see and nothing was there.
Are they done?

MikeL MikeL
Sep '16

Yes. They probably sold out around 2 or 3pm.

Sep '16

Sell out the last 2 weeks in a row, (at least) and list hours 10am-6pm? Sounds like they need to up supply to meet demand. ;)

There are worse things to worry about....

I know I would be more inclined to ride out on later afternoon to try them as opposed to the middle of the a day when I am trying to get things accomplished on my day off work.

Open on Sunday's?

Riblet18
Sep '16

No. I believe only Saturdays.

Sep '16

Beyer BBQ runs rain or shine! Make sure to pick up some deliciousness for the family tomorrow! You won't be disappointed!

Beyer BBQ
Sep '16

Could you post your prices?

Hot under the collar
Sep '16

I went to Breyer BBQ yesterday. Food was GREAT well worth the trip. Now I know why they sell out. I will be going back.

Snowflake
Oct '16

BBQ will be served at 11! Stop down and enjoy some smoked perfection! It's a great way to start your weekend!

Beyer BBQ
Oct '16

I made it over today and got some pulled pork. I thought it was great! These guys must do pretty well if they sell out of stuff. Seemed they had quite a bit of stuff.

Metsman Metsman
Oct '16

Wish that could be open on Sundays too.

Oct '16

They said it was slow today, don't forget.about them! I had the brisket sandwich, it was great!

Bruce juice
Oct '16

They were probably slow due to the events at the Breweries in town today.

Nosila Nosila
Oct '16

It is going to be a beautiful weekend! Come on down and get some Beyer BBQ after some Fall Pumpkin Picking! We will only be open for a few more weeks. We start at 11am and will sell out early. This just might be the best BBQ in New Jersey.

Beyer BBQ
Oct '16

I feel like a brisket sammich. See ya all tomorrow

Chipster Chipster
Oct '16

I'll be there

Metsman Metsman
Oct '16

Re: Beyer BBQ in Great Meadows

I should have bought 10 of these and then waited until Czig and Manskirt are open. I could let everyone just smell them and I could re-sell them for double. ;-)

With something going on at Island, it looks like they're going to sell out extra early.

They only had brisket and pulled pork today. I got the brisket sandwich. Good stuff!

Metsman Metsman
Oct '16

What are the days and hours of business again??

Thanks

LittleRascal LittleRascal
Oct '16

They start at 11 on Saturdays.

Metsman Metsman
Oct '16

anyone know if the stand is going to be open today?

I went by before and they were cooking

drove by this morning and they were half setup. Don't think they had the tent up because of the wind.

youngen youngen
Oct '16

Driving along 46, caught a glimpse of the Beyer's BBQ sign; remembered reading about them right here, so my husband and I pulled in and tried a sampler. My husband said that the bbq chicken was the best he'd ever had. Loved the ribs and the pulled pork. I liked the brisket sandwich, but my husband thought it was a little too smokey (I've never, ever heard him say that before, and I'm usually the one that is sensitive to too much smoke, so that was odd. Maybe just a fluke). Overall, very good. We will be back!

BlueNote BlueNote
Oct '16

Tomorrow may be the end of BBQ for this Season! Make sure you come down and try some of the best BBQ in New Jersey!

Beyer BBQ
Oct '16

If you decide to stop, please post on the forum.

Sounds like yesterday was the end. Maybe they will see our posts and confirm it.

Oct '16

Yesterday they said this coming Saturday was weather dependent. So it may not be the end after all.

I figure with the rabies clinic there at the municipal building next Saturday, it would be well worth their while so long as the weather is OK.

Yes. GC great info. Hope the weather is good for them.

Oct '16

Beyer BBQ will be serving the finest barbecued meats and fresh cut fries tomorrow! It is going to be a gorgeous weekend! Make sure to start it right!

Beyer BBQ
Nov '16

Hmmmmm BBQ.

And Go Flyers! ;-)

I have not been there before, but I have 100% intentions of going tomorrow. :)

Sounds like a place to stop by!

What are your hours tomorrow?

Yankeefan Yankeefan
Nov '16

Yankeefan - check the posts above. The way it works, they open up at 11:00 AM and then go until they sell out.

Thank you. Didn't see that.

Yankeefan Yankeefan
Nov '16

By 1:30 all that was left were the pulled pork and ribs. I got the pulled pork and the DH and DS each got ribs. Best lunch ever. Next weekend may be the last.

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Nov '16

Took the wife out on the motorcycle and headed over there.

I had the pulled pork, she had the sampler, everything was excellent.

We had the smoked sampler and the brisket sandwich and both were amazing!!! Fries were incredibly delicious as well.

Hands-down the best BBQ we've had around!

Jules Jules
Nov '16

Even my picky eater loves Beyer BBQ! We split two samplers for our family of four, everything was excellent. This was our third trip and have never been disappointed. Keep us posted as to when you'll be open, hopefully this mild weather will keep you BBQing at least a few more weekends!

I'm kicking myself for choosing to continue to move leaves today rather than enjoying some good que,

LOL, Greg! The leaves will be there! This place possibly won't be after next weekend!

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Nov '16

We are calling the season at Beyer BBQ. We will not be serving today. Thanks for all the support HL! See you all in the Spring!

Beyer BBQ
Nov '16

Thanks for serving up some really good food. Everyone I know that's tried it is just buzzing about how good it is. See you next year.

And of course...

Go Flyers!!!

Do they have a restaurant or permanent place somewhere ?

Mariann Mariann
Nov '16

Hoping these guys start up again soon. I need some BBQ goodness...

Metsman Metsman
Feb '17

Rumor has it that they will be re-opening at the old Herbie's location across the street from where they were set up last year! Wahoo can't wait for some delicious BBQ again.

just saying is all just saying is all
Feb '17

Awesome!

Metsman Metsman
Feb '17

So herbies us done?

Bug3
Feb '17

Anyone have an update on this? They are stating in the forum classified that they have a storefront in Great Meadows and they are hiring.

studentofthegame studentofthegame
Mar '17

There is a coming soon sign where the barber shop use to be at the corner of Alphano Rd and Route 46. I couldn't see the name as it was dark and going towards Liberty Township.

As far as I know the former barber shop is going to be a sports shop.

Calico696 Calico696
Mar '17

Saw the signage on old Herbie's location- Beyer's BBQ will be opening soon. So excited! GREAT food and a family friendly location.

Tulip
Apr '17

Will Beyer BBQ still have the ice cream? Would be awesome to get some pulled pork and a soft-serve cone for dessert.

D-ManPV D-ManPV
Apr '17

So this will be a full time gig now? Awesome.

Herbies wasn't year round so I wouldn't expect Beyer to begin that as far as "full time" goes. But it sure would be nice to be able to get some Beyer's weekdays as well as the weekend.

And....

Go Flyers!!! ;-)

Awww! Bye bye Flyers.

Roywhite Roywhite
Apr '17

Roywhite - My comment was really a nod to the Beyers guys because I've always been wearing my Flyers hat the times I've gone there. Then I always say "Go Flyers" as I'm leaving. But as it turns out, yes, I was writing that at the point when the Flyers still had their chances. It sure looked grim at 4-1 but they sure did make an exciting finish to the game. But we've got a hockey thread for more about that.

Just won't be the same without the gypsy BBQ atmosphere.... Maybe they can still smoke em in Herbie's parking lot :>)

Apr '17

They will also be serving ice cream

Nosila Nosila
Apr '17

Nosila

Thanks, that's good to know too. While I never tried Herbie's food, I did go there for the soft serve raspberry-vanilla cone!

Phil D. Phil D.
Apr '17

Can't wait for them to open in then old Herbie's building! Going to be eating there at least once a week once they open for business!

Sparrow77
Apr '17

My kids loved Herbies! They were very upset when they saw the sign.

Mommyof3 Mommyof3
Apr '17

Phil D, raspberry vanilla soft serve sounds good! I hope they will take it as a suggestion.

hktownie hktownie
Apr '17

Is this BBQ ice cream joint going to open this year ???

Rocket man
May '17

Rocketman- yes there opening sometime this month where herbies use to be

Soccermom12 Soccermom12
May '17

Just keep in mind, this is NOT Herbies reopening, it is Beyer BBQ! They operated across the street last summer, and it was very good! They may not serve alot of what was served at Herbies.

Bruce juice
May '17

I would sure like to know when they're going to open.

Yogel Yogel
May '17

I passed by at 10pm last night and someone was working away inside!

Hard to imagine they would shut down the soft serve cash cow......think of the children :>)

My two cents: more neon, more night time, paint parking spots, hire some kids with roller skates or sneakers to run food.

I love a good drive-in during the summer and hate to wait in long lines for a cone....ours are over 50 miles away.

Wait ------ is there enough room for a screen in that back field.......:>)

May '17

They are supposed to still serve soft ice cream with the new opening of Beyer BBQ

Soccermom12 Soccermom12
May '17

We need to support the new business and give it time to open when they are ready... Looking forward to the opening...

LibertyThinker LibertyThinker
May '17

I'm looking forward to Beyer's opening. They should open only when they feel they are ready.

MrsPipes MrsPipes
May '17

Heard Memorial Day weekend - ice cream only maybe a week earlier.

Opening this weekend!!!!

Abigail's mommy Abigail's mommy
May '17

Here's the information

Abigail's mommy Abigail's mommy
May '17

So we can still get iced cream! :)

I am looking forward to supporting a wonderful local family and their local business! I have known the Beyer's for over 30 yrs now- yes I am dating myself. :) LOL If you are looking for small town atmosphere, amazing food, and utmost cleanliness and pride in an establishment, then you should pay them a visit as well!

HHSBaseball Mom HHSBaseball Mom
May '17

Is there a menu online somewhere?

Calico696 Calico696
May '17

Meat, meat, more meat...

Check the past HL threads for more info about the foods. The sampler is the way to taste a little bit of everything they've got.

I'm trying to find out if they have chicken or turkey. I don't eat beef or pork.

Calico696 Calico696
May '17

I think they do pulled chicken and all that kind of stuff. I believe I read about it somewhere that they do chicken also

Soccermom12 Soccermom12
May '17

Yes, they do have chicken. Their fries are delicious!

Jules Jules
May '17

Yes they have chicken- and it is very tasty.

I will probably head out there some time this weekend to support them, eat food and ride my bike.

If Beyer's is watching this thread- Start a bike night, other than Tuesday or Thursday which is already well covered with other places- and I will try to get some guys to show up.

Hook up some external speakers, play some good music- and continue serving good food. :)

Thank you everyone. I look forward to trying the chicken.

Calico696 Calico696
May '17

Hoping to hit it up on Friday after work!

Phil D. Phil D.
May '17

The chicken is great, just like all the items they make from brisket to ribs to pulled pork as well as fries. It's not pulled chicken though, it's smoked and then served just like it comes out of the smoker. Really good.

If you want to know more about all the specifics, the previous thread has all the details:

http://www.hackettstownlife.com/forum/759197

It smelled SOOOO good driving by there earlier today! Can't wait to try them! :)

Place was packed when I drove by about 6:15 earlier this evening!

I highly recommend the "Sampler" you can enjoy everything they make... and by the way the RIBS are amazing!!!! My wife somehow stopped in at a perfect time - in between when I heard the place was packed!!!

May '17

Noticed a band setting up behind bbbq at noon. Hope the weather holds.

Indie Indie
May '17

The band is very good. They're playing blue grass music. The parking lot was packed and many cars parked across the street.
We ordered the beef brisket and pulled pork sandwiches with an order of fries. Our order was ready in about 15 minutes. Everything tasted great!

Chickadee Chickadee
May '17

We stopped in today. Wanted the slider sandwich on the menu. However they were not offering that today. We got the sampler, two sliders (?) Two ribs and one chicken drumstick. It was good, although I found the drumstick s bit dry. No sides to speak of besides fries. Most bbq places have baked beans or potato salad or Cole slaw etc. We waited 50 minutes. My husband is from Texas, he knows bbq, not blown away but we will try again. The inside is nicely painted, etc.

Vicinity Vicinity
May '17

Beyer is Carolina style. They've got great smoke but it's got sauce too. They're very good at what they do.

^ How are they Carolina style? I know when I went last year their sauce did not appear to have much vinegar to it (if any at all) which is a hallmark of Carolina style (at least eastern NC).

D-ManPV D-ManPV
May '17

I got a bit of their sauce last year on my brisket sandwich and it was sour as crap. Try a bit of their sauce out of the bottle on its own, see what I mean.

I met a buddy from work there at 4pm yesterday. I had the sampler, a Boylan's "Birch Beer" and fries and he had a slider, fries and a water. Both of us were impressed and will definitely be back. It definitely reminded me of the BBQ I had in what years I spent growing up in Coastal Carolina. The fries were definitely better than many I've had in other spots and they definitely loaded you up on them (had leftovers).

The only thing I was bummed about was that there was not quite enough room left for ice cream without being overstuffed, but that's a good thing, lol.

By the way, here's a video primer on BBQ by a musical group "Rhett & Link" from North Carolina (in harmony):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ubTQfr_tyY

Phil D. Phil D.
May '17

I don't believe this has been mentioned yet. A heads up for those that don't carry much/any cash on them like myself. Wife went to stop in this afternoon and advised they are CASH ONLY. Just an FYI...

Lenny Rock Lenny Rock
May '17

Piggy's has the best barbecue in next 500 miles...hopefully this place can make it 2. Piggy's Beef Brisket Sandwich gives the Carolina's a run for their money...

Is there anyway to get just chicken at Beyer's? We stopped by yesterday and saw that the menu offerings all had beef or pork. The sampler has chicken but also has beef or pork along with it. Would love to be able to get some wonderful chicken only.

Jules Jules
May '17

the hubs and i stopped in yesterday around 1p. the place was packed! we waited 40 minutes for a sampler and full rack of ribs. we both thought the ribs were good, but on the fatty side. it's pretty hard to beat the ribs at Cubby's down in Hackesnsack. really enjoyed the chicken and pulled pork. fries were great too. I know it was only the second day they were opened, but i hope they really work out the kinks as far as getting the food out quicker. and definitely not cheap either. $50 for lunch.

azgirl azgirl
May '17

$50 buck lunch and cash only. There's a kink. Good thing ATM right across the street.

Strangerdanger Strangerdanger
May '17

give them a chance to iron out the kinks. the food is delicious and portions are very large. wish them the best of luck. just what this area needs. good music yesterday too.

Drakestown
May '17

Is the ice cream the same as Herbies was or is it a different formula?

D-ManPV D-ManPV
May '17

I had soft serve ice creaming yesterday... it seemed the same if not better...

May '17

I said it once but if they own that field they should put it to good user. Maybe put up a good sized wooden wall, paint it white, get one of those projection machines and some speakers and have a mini drive-in the back. Picnic tables, family, some capraesque movie and it's an evening of BBQ, ice cream, some flics and a whole field for the kids to burn energy in.

Such a great location to pic-a-nic in.

I like the sampler.

May '17

The new hard ice cream is excellent. Give it a try.

Indie Indie
May '17

I wonder if the cost of the license to show movies in public is worth it for a small BBQ stand.

Horshoe pits, Bean bag toss and BYOB could be fun while chowing on BBQ.

Forcefed4door Forcefed4door
May '17

Cash only will hurt this place, especially at those prices. Nothing worse than having to plan a bank stop before going out to a restaurant. This is why I avoid Pub 517/199 most times. Of course they have an ATM they'd love you to use with heavy fees. I also think restaurants that only accept cash may be playing games with their books on reporting income.

Mickey Mickey
May '17

Or, they just don't want to pay the 3 to 4% charge that the credit cards companies cost. They don't make any profit off of the ATM fees, that's not how it works. Anytime you use a credit card anywhere, the business accepting the credit cards is taking a loss.

Josh places can make money off the atm machines. Some atm machines are actually filled and maintained by the business they are at, so a part of the fee goes to the business.

Sunshine Sunshine
May '17

I understand that merchants are charged a percentage, with American Express being the highest. Taking a family of 5 or 6 out to a place and having to remember to bring $150 cash is silly it's 2017. Too many other places to eat. I still say any establishment that wants cash only, wants it that way to offset income against expenses for tax purposes. It's the old pizza shop model. Even pizza places take credit cards now.

Mickey Mickey
May '17

Even if some do, the machine, the electric, the Internet connection to go to the banks, the maintenance, the time to fill it with money etc. is not free – so I have no problem with the charge regardless of where it goes.

And again the main concern with accepting credit cards are the fees that the credit card charges to process the card. They charge a fee just to swipe it and a percentage of the sale itself. It can easily add up to many many thousands of dollars a year wasted as opposed to just taking cash.

Still sorry to say if this place or any establishment goes "cash only" it can be a deterrent to it's customers. So basically plan ahead, hit the bank and enjoy some BBQ? Or be penalized and use their fee laden ATM to eat at their establishment? No thanks. Not to mention this place is only open Thurs-Sun?? Sounds more like a hobby than a restaurant.

Mickey Mickey
May '17

I agree that any place that services the public should accept credit cards as a form of payment. But cut these guys a break. They opened on a holiday weekend, maybe they just didn't have time to set up the accounts with their bank. Give them a few weeks to get the bugs out. If things aren't better by the end of June then you know it was a hobby not a business.

Hot under the collar
May '17

They were cash only last year too, when they operated across the street. The prices are pretty much the same too. You get what you pay for! Again, this is NOT Herbies Ice cream stand anymore

Deviljet
May '17

Getting what you pay for shouldn't mean cash only. It certainly makes it a plan to eat spot rather than just in the area let's stop on in. Are they open all year round or just spring/summer?

Mickey Mickey
May '17

You're right cbgb. But with the amount of free movies out there, I bet you could put on a show without a license.

Pits n stuff sound fun too.

May '17

If the food is exceptional then it ok. I have yet to stop by but it should be soon. I frequent some establishments that are cash only. Annoying, yes. But, these places offer exceptional food and atmosphere at fair prices.

Mickey - I agree about cash only for restaurants. That would keep me away 95% of the time. I rarely carry a lot of cash on me. So, to have $50 on me in cash for lunch would be not likely. $10 can get me a few beers and allow for a tip at the fine local cash only bars I go to. ;-)

Calico696 Calico696
May '17

Do they have beef ribs. Also are the sliders beef?

DogzRKool DogzRKool
May '17

Have to admit when hubby and I stopped by on Saturday that we had only $10 cash and ended up just getting fries because we did not want to go to the ATM. It was disappointing to see no cards accepted. We typically do not carry a large amount of cash on us. I would think that if cards were accepted people would be inclined to spend more, no?

Jules Jules
May '17

Even at farmers markets anymore vendors accept cards right through there phones or iPad. Much like others we rarely have much cash on us .

Same for me - cash only means I won't be going often since I just don't carry cash anymore. They may be avoiding thousands in fees, but they're limiting their sales at the same time.

As "gypsy bbq-ers," it's understandable, almost part of the gestalt of the BBQ bandito, to be cash only. Brick n mortar, $50 a lunch, not so much so. Cash only certainly will be limiting; I am sure it just can't last.

Get a widget for your smart phone to do it.......

Spread the 3% or whatever across all buyers --- ratio card/cash receipts to guesstimate, probably need 1-2% price increase. At $50, that's less than a buck.

Otherwise PITA and I have an account at Hope......

May '17

At $10 for a pulled pork sandwich, they can work some swiping fees in there. If someone will pay $10, they'll probably pay $10.50 (-;

ianimal ianimal
May '17

Ianimal,

$10.00 for a pulled pork sandwich??? The credit card fee's are already in that. It is only $6.95 for a pulled pork sandwich and fries at the BBQ place on 31.

Hot under the collar
May '17

The place right next to Dairy Queen on rt 31?

May '17

Is the place on Route 31 using all natural Piedmontese beef?

HUTC, but are the sandwiches the same size? Maybe Beyer's has a full pound of pork in theirs or something.

ianimal ianimal
May '17

Mansfield Mama....Yes the place next to Dairy Queen.

ianimal...Dont know how much pork is on the sandwich

GC....Hope that they don't use Piedmontese Beef in the pulled pork. Lol

Hot under the collar
May '17

Hot - didn't ask in reference to the prior post but in general. I thought it might also answer a question about the differences in meats in general. As for the size of the sandwich I know that Beyer is really big. But I don't know about the other place and would find it hard to compare without eating there myself.

A simpler question: What are the hours open??? I circumnavigated the building on Mon. nite and could not find hours of operation! On the cash only policy - If the food is good and the customers feel they are getting their monies worth, they will come with cash in hand.

Only open Thursday-Sunday

Mickey Mickey
May '17

Hours, menu, and pricing all on their Facebook page:

If you don't like it, don't go! Simple as that. The operated across the street last year and did.very well, so they stepped it up and rented the building. Just scroll to the very top of this thread and read the posts from last summer.

Deviljet
May '17

Cash is King!

Weedwacker Weedwacker
May '17

"If you don't like it, don't go!"

Correct, we won't. Just noting that if they accepted cards, they might do even better is all.

Calico696 Calico696
May '17

Hasn't Sub Shack been in business for something like 30 years and I think they are still cash only?

JRT - It's over 40 years for Sub Shack.

So did anyone think to ask if they plan on accepting cards in the future? Did any of you cranks ever think that "maybe the CC stuff isn't ready to be used this opening weekend"?

No, probably not.

btownguy btownguy
May '17

The Crossroads Diner in Buttzville has been cash only for god knows how long...

positive positive
May '17

Nicolosi's pizza and Toby's Cup in Lopatcong have both been cash only for over 40 years, but the '70s were a different time and they've built up a dedicated clientele that has become accustomed to it.

Trying to start a business from scratch today using that business model is quite a different story. You'd also be hard pressed to spend $50 on lunch at either place (-;

ianimal ianimal
May '17

Hey- some people staying home won't bother me. Less wait for my food!

Heck, maybe James On Main should go cash only. Lessen the load. :)

I agree Ian, they are already established, perhaps "grandfathered in". A new establishment might have some difficulty with "cash only".

positive positive
Jun '17

Went today for lunch at 11:30 they were closed. Called no answer, just voice mail. Facebook page said open now. Messaged them and the reply was open tonight for ice cream. So much for hours of operation, Thur, Fri, Sat, Sun 11:00 to 9:00 so disappointed.

BEVBIGHEAD BEVBIGHEAD
Jun '17

Pub 517 is cash only and they are always packed. Give this place a chance. We are all use to Herbie's. Every new place needs to get some kinks out. And sometimes feedback, in the right way, is important to new places as they may not see it themselves.

This is a family owned business who live in this area. Please be kind with how you critic their business.

htownlifer htownlifer
Jun '17

"This is a family owned business who live in this area. Please be kind with how you critic their business."

It's unkind to say we prefer non cash only places? And if that's not what you were referring to, should people should say everything was delicious even if it was terrible because the owners are local? I can't comment on the food, because I haven't tried it. I can only comment that there's only a 5% chance of me trying it because of the cash only issue and the fact that you can't get just chicken.

"Nicolosi's pizza and Toby's Cup in Lopatcong have both been cash only for over 40 years, but the '70s were a different time and they've built up a dedicated clientele that has become accustomed to it."

Yes, and you can stuff yourself for $10. More likely to have $10 on you than $50.

Calico696 Calico696
Jun '17

I think $50 for lunch is an extreme example. The person said they got a full rack of ribs - the most expensive selection on the menu at $25, a sampler at $15, plus fries. I don't even get a full rack for dinner, so a half rack would be more than enough for lunch.
More likely would be a couple of sandwiches and share the fries (there's enough for 2) and a couple of drinks = $30.

No regrets
Jun '17

What's in the sampler?

Maybe I'm crazy (or cheap), but $30 for lunch at a roadside BBQ joint in (no offense) middle of nowhere Warren County New Jersey just seems like a lot to me.

But I'm sure the Beyers are lovely people and I wish them lots of success (so they can put in a credit card machine ;o)).

Tracy Tracy
Jun '17

You know the saying...If you can't say something nice, don't say it at all... As far as hours go look at the Log Cabin opened Fri, Sat and Sun. Always packed, Smart business owners knowing food costs and what it costs to be opened a full week.

And for taking charge cards...I would have someone buying a $5.00 item and pulling out their AMX card.. that was the highest percentage, along with a transaction fee, if you had to run the card twice another fee... along with any tax on item would pay for that..in end lost money....

Can't we just wish the local owners well and certainly hope they
have success at that ...They have taken the chance ...I wish them well and will be a customer.....

"Can't we just wish the local owners well and certainly hope they
have success at that ...They have taken the chance ...I wish them well and will be a customer....."

OMG another one. Who is wishing them harm?

Tracy - I agree. I have never spent $30 for lunch unless it was somewhere that served alcohol.

Calico696 Calico696
Jun '17

What BBQ place next to Dairy Queen ?, in the gas station?

eapos eapos
Jun '17

Jo, many places have a limit for credit card use, and I have absolutely no problem with that. I think $10 is fair. I can understand not wanting people to charge less than that, but it doesn't seem like you'd have that problem at this place.

A pizza place by my office has a $10 credit card limit, or they will charge you 25 cents if it's under.

Tracy Tracy
Jun '17

Eapos, it is to the left of,Dairy Queen on rt 31. It is called Memo's Place. It used to be the old Stewarts.

Jun '17

MM - Not sure eapos knew you were referring to the DQ in Washington, not H'town.

Calico696 Calico696
Jun '17

Tracy.. No I would not have a problem with stopping in there for ice cream that the Grand Kids love..The other menu If they wanted ribs etc... sure get a take out and and at home make our own side dishes.. Why do people make this difficult..???? No bashing look at the comments...

I seldom get on this site for this reason....Along with the the white bunny being free and happy running in the wild ....

Got it now, Washington, not H Town

eapos eapos
Jun '17

Tried Beyer BBQ last night and the food is excellent! We came prepared to pay cash and it was no trouble.

The sampler has 2 ribs, 1 chicken leg, 1 pulled pork slider and 1 brisket slider for $15. The sliders are loaded with meat. The price is very fair for what you get. Fries are $4 for a generous amount in a cup, and really good. We split 2 samplers and 1 fry between 3 of us and still had some leftovers.

hktownie hktownie
Jun '17

Hmmm, have to make a road trip. Maybe they can add 1/2 and whole chicken as an option? Beef brisket makes my mouth water. I usually don't bother with BBQ joints up here, save the calorie consumption for when we go South, but I will be stopping by soon.

Would absolutely love if they added more than just a chicken leg to the menu. Several of us in the family do not eat beef or pork but would love to enjoy chicken with Beyer's BBQ recipe. Would be wonderful to have a chicken menu item by itself ( meaning not in the sampler only).

I know that Piggy's BBQ offers several chicken menu items. I don't mind paying more at Beyer's since I understand that their meat is free-range, antibiotic free and steroid free.

Jules Jules
Jun '17

The only question I heard as I came out with my samplers was "how long is the wait."

Just long enough to make a couple of samplers up. Can't ask for faster than that.

Jun '17

Sliders were really great for the price. Tons of meat on both the brisket and pulled pork varieties. Just wish I had asked for some extra sauce (they weren't dry, but I like mine a little saucier). A ton of fries for $4. Wait was kind of long but I think they forgot my order was on the table for a few minutes. Aside from that, glad they decided to open up in the old Herbie's. Will be back!

Sycamore Sycamore
Jun '17

I agree that whatever they are already serving should be available by itself without having to buy a package. Want chicken? Buy chicken. Want sliders? Buy sliders.

But, not my business so not my choice....

We tried the pulled pork and fries last night. We will be back. We wish the owners well. This weekend is a great weekend to try it out with the weather. Enjoy!

Magpie Magpie
Jun '17

We went last night. A sandwich and order of fries is definitely enough for two adults to share so I don't think the prices are out of line.

The ribs were great! The brisket was good too, though I still prefer Piggy's for that.

A question for the BBQ Connoisseur that has tried all three. Which do you prefer? Beyer BBQ, Piggy's or The Real Deal BBQ formerly known as Georgie Porgies down on Rt 31 in Glen Gardner next to Muller Toyota?

piggy brisket is the best. Chicken is ok.

Went by there at 2:15 Friday afternoon, all closed up? Why?

Donna Hughes Donna Hughes
Jun '17

This was posted on their Facebook page:
Beyer BBQ would like to apologize to our customers. We will not be serving food this weekend. However, we will be serving our amazing ice cream. We had a vendor issue and the product was not up to our standards of excellence. We want to thank the community for the huge support for our business over the past few weeks! Please bear with is as we work through this bump in the road. We will be open for full service next Saturday and Sunday, and will be open for Friday BBQ by the end of the month.

jdem I just had Piggy's brisket today. Not as good as Beyers. I got a mouth full of fat on my sandwich. I think my brother made better brisket when I was at his house 2 weeks ago.

Metsman Metsman
Jun '17

My wife and I took the motorcycle out for dinner. Afterwards we rode out to Beyer's place to grab a cone. Nope.. they were closed, no lights on and all dark.

There were 2 pickup trucks parked on the side with the windows rolled down. There probably was someone inside or out back- but they weren't open for business.

Maybe I misunderstood- I know they weren't smoking, but I thought they were doing ice cream still.

Josh,

The post above says they will be serving ice cream this weekend. Maybe something happened to the machine and the two pickup trucks were there to fix it.

Hot under the collar
Jun '17

We went this afternoon for my father's day lunch. It was the first time for my wife and son and they loved it! (I've had it before). Brisket sandwiches and fries were awesome!

Deviljet
Jun '17

Perfect ending to Father's Day - Beyer BBQ brisket sandwich & 1/2 rack of ribs. Plenty of food for my family of 3 for dinner! :)

Nick Scalera Photo Nick Scalera Photo
Jun '17

we got 3 racks of ribs yesterday ... reheated them today... simply amazing... we ate well today!!!!

Jun '17

Sounds great!!

There was talk of them adding credit cards as a payment option once they worked the kinks out. Did they accept cards this weekend?

Hot under the collar
Jun '17

Got the pork sliders today and fries, AMAZING , even re-heated

We got the sampler today-two ribs, two chicken legs, a brisket slider and a pulled pork slider, and all were terrific! We'll go back for sure!

summerrain1 summerrain1
Jun '17

I'm sure to get crucified again, but I gave it a go again today and its still not my cup of tea. The choice of only Boylan soda's is annoying as they leave a weird aftertaste. I tried the sampler again, two ribs, two chicken legs, two pulled pork sandwiches, and maybe some brisket? Couldn't tell the difference as it and the pulled pork were to well done. I actually spit out some of the pulled pork because it was like daggers in my mouth because of how dry it was. The ribs were under cooked at the center. Chicken wings were dipped in some kind of sauce that was ok. They fell apart but had no smoke flavor to them, like they had been boiled to cook through then placed on the smoker to tighten up the skin. Sorry, my opinion, I would love to support local business but won't be returning.

Also, sampler and a soda was $17, I think french fries were $4 but even at $17 for lunch it was sort of absurd. I understand overhead and trying to get a business running but the guy on Rt 519 by Belvidere is better for alot less.

youngen youngen
Jun '17

"the guy on Rt 519 by Belvidere is better for alot less."

I've never heard of a guy on 519 in Belvidere. Exactly where is this?

Calico696 Calico696
Jun '17

His trailer and smoker is parked infront of Hatrum Excavating. He is in the yellow trailer. You can see it on google earth. Great guy, ex-military, real southern cooking. Love the baked beans and pulled pork. I will admit not a fan of his chicken.

younggen younggen
Jun '17

Thanks younggen. What's up with the chicken? Dry?

Calico696 Calico696
Jun '17

Yea, he has run out of pulled pork/ribs a few times and all he has left is chicken. I've tried it multiple times but is just too dry. I don't care for chicken smothered in sauce.

younggen younggen
Jun '17

I just got a pretty rocking BBQ Brisket sandwich from Costco for $4.99. I'm sure Beyer's is better, but this really hit the spot. It was shredded/chopped, whereas I prefer sliced, but certainly no complaints on flavor or size.

ianimal ianimal
Jun '17

Youngen,

Haven't tried Beyer's yet, but am planning too. I agree with you about the Boyland's soda. They moved to NY and the flavor changed.

Hot under the collar
Jun '17

Dow's Low-n-Slow is located on 519 catty corner to the Wayne Dumont Building/jail.
He has a f/b page.

Decent bbq, nice smoked ribs

Tidy
Jun '17

Stopped in today and had the sampler with a Boylan birch beer. Delicious and the owner and staff (January) were a pleasure. We bought a full rack for dinner and the ribs were great. We'll be back, great to have this place in town.

Yankeefan Yankeefan
Jun '17

We have gotten everything a few times and everything is simply fantastic... I highly recommend getting the sliders... #2 sliders is a lot of food... (Note: The RIBS are amazing) also the coleslaw was great... (Getting the sampler is a great way to try everything) I am planning becoming a regular and buying a few items for my Giant Tailgates when the season starts.... Everyone please go support this local business...

Jun '17

Just had some great brisket at BBBQ.

Indie Indie
Jun '17

BBBQ is open and smokin.
Stop by.

Indie Indie
Jun '17

Indie,

Have they worked out the bugs yet? Are they taking cards?

Hot under the collar
Jun '17

still cash only ... no big deal there is an ATM across the street...Please support this local business... it is the real deal the food is simply fantastic!!!

Jun '17

They are smoking today ... looking forward to lunch already ...

Jul '17

Tried Dow's on 519, it's a little farther than caty-corner to the jail, was about to U-turn it when we saw the international flags for BBQ shining like rainbow flags above a hospital on the horizon (side of the road).

It was good, I could taste the wood, we enjoyed it.

Think closing is 6:30pm.

Jul '17

That's considered catty corner in White Twsp. :)

Tidy
Jul '17

Tried it out today, met up with another HLife person that happened to be there also, who has touted the good quality of food he has gotten thus far.

His recommendation is correct, the sampler- good stuff! Worth the trip. And, if your budget conscious, just go for the pork or brisket sliders- two of those will only cost about $6 and you will be more than full after eating those.

Recommended and cash only is no issue if you buy sensibly.

The Rhyme Animal The Rhyme Animal
Jul '17

Had lunch there yesterday got 6 sliders... Ribs... and more :) lets just say my family ate well yesterday... Thank you to all who continue to support this new local business... Today will be a perfect day to try it out if you have not done as of yet... Thank you RA for your support and good know my advice was taken seriously about getting the sampler for first time visitors...

Jul '17

We stopped here for a quick dinner last week and had a wonderful experience I figured I would stop by Htown Life and give a little review! My fiancé and I were greeted by a friendly waitress who took our order. After reviewing the menu, we got two pulled pork sliders and a brisket slider with a side of seasoned fries. We were not disappointed. The sliders (typically a small portion anywhere you go) came with a large amount of meat for a slider and very flavorful! The amount of seasoned fries we received was a huge portion we were able to share, well seasoned and crispy. There were several other people around us who ordered a standard pulled pork or brisket sandwich and it was a very large portion! We thought the prices were very consistent for BBQ, as we have traveled to many states and love trying genuine BBQ joints. Service was quick as well, in about 5 minutes we had our food. We wish them all the best, loved their food and will definitely be back for great BBQ!

WashingtonTswp
Jul '17

Are they opened now ? Thurs at 3pm ? trying to find a number for them. Thanks

They were firing it up this morning

Kimberlysea Kimberlysea
Jul '17

I drove by earlier and they were

Njskywatcher Njskywatcher
Jul '17

They are open tonight, Friday, Saturday, Sunday till 8:30

Indie Indie
Jul '17

The food has to be great.... I know the Pit-Master and this is his passion!!!!!
Will be going this weekend!!!!!
Support Your Local Business

went again... great food great service... looking forward to Thursday...

Jul '17

Perfect day for some BBQ... I had #3 Brisket Sliders yesterday and they were so good... Please go support this local business - I highly recommend the sliders great value and you get more then enough food... you can get 1 Pulled Pork and 1 Brisket for 5.50 that is a good deal... and fantastic food and service...

Jul '17

Had a pulled pork slider yesterday- I have to say it was pretty good again.

The person at the window taking the orders, she is always cheerful and does a good job making the experience fun.

They are on the right path with what they are doing as a business.

Jul '17

Thanks RA for supporting this new local business... I am heading over shortly for 2 sliders for lunch...since I did get my grass cut early now I can enjoy the rest of the day...

Jul '17

BBBQ at Donalson farm Tomorrow night. Stop by.

Indie Indie
Jul '17

What's a good time to go on a Sunday like today? Does it get really crowded?

concernedparent concernedparent
Jul '17

Blue grass and BBQ today. 3 - 6

Indie Indie
Jul '17

Just had sliders and ice cream, both very good. Will go back for sure.

Nature Lover Nature Lover
Jul '17

Heading over shortly for our 3rd time this weekend... really happy to see all the support...

Jul '17

Just got home from there, another great meal! Had some first timers with us, so we ended up bringing leftovers home, as the sandwiches are big!

Deviljet
Jul '17

I have been there for ice cream twice. Great service, great portions and great ice cream. Can't wait to do the BBQ...

CraftBeerBob CraftBeerBob
Jul '17

Sampled their ribs on Friday night at the Donaldson's event. Absolutely amazing probably the best ribs I've tasted.

Mickey Mickey
Jul '17

I had a sampler for lunch today. The flavors are amazing. First time I've tried the ribs. There's just enough food to satisfy you and not overfill you.

Metsman Metsman
Aug '17

I have a couple questions I hope someone can answer...

Does the food travel well? We were thinking of getting some BBQ tonight but probably for takeout. Is a 15 minute drive (or so) going to ruin it?

Also, does anyone have a more comprehensive menu to share? I looked at their FB but it doesn't have much. I've heard people mention sandwiches, is that a full size sandwich in addition to their sliders? Price? Do they put anything on the sandwiches or sliders besides meat (like slaw)?

Thanks!

Tracy Tracy
Aug '17

Tracy - 15 mins will not hurt it. That menu is the whole menu. It really is. Yes, besides the small sliders the pork or brisket can be bought as a huge full sized sandwich. Those are the two items at the top of the menu - "Pulled Pork Sandwich" for $10 and "Brisket Sandwich" for $12. No slaw. Just a touch of sauce.

The sandwiches have slices of pickles too.

Metsman Metsman
Aug '17

GC, I will blame my older age for completely missing the top two menu items. Thanks for pointing them out. I guess I was focused on the sampler.

Thanks GC and Metsman for the info.

Tracy Tracy
Aug '17

Went there over the weekend- what happened to the chicken?

I'd be back all the time if they had a shredded chicken slider. I'd order them by the bag!! (I'd rather have several smaller manageable sandwiches than 1 overly large one).

Went there last weekend and my wife got a 'normal' sandwich and it was silly watching her try to eat it. A good amount simply fell on the plate, and she brought half of it home anyway.

I'm ok with pork and brisket if I somehow end up at a place with no chicken- but I won't drive there to get it. The way I grew up bbq meant bbq chicken.

Blasphemy to some I know. But then again so is shredded brisket.

Stop by Sunday 8/20 great music & great BBQ. 4 to 7pm

Indie Indie
Aug '17

Hands down the best brisket I have ever tried! Fries were amazing as well!

good news they now accept CC for those would not visit a cash only business... please go support the new local eatery... enjoyed lunch and dinner there today and it was awesome!!!

Aug '17

No BBQ chicken? Need that option, can't eat steak all the time...

"Blasphemy........ But then again so is shredded brisket."

Completely agree.

Where can I get sliced smoked brisket locally?

You can get sliced smoked brisket AND chicken at Piggy's BBQ. Really nice to have the chicken option there.

Jules Jules
Aug '17

Was there yesterday at relish and they did NOT take cc. We did not have cash.. Maybe next time. Went to Main St Cafe was wonderful and the coffee - great!!

Dsl1929 Dsl1929
Aug '17

Thanks Jules. :)

I was there last night around 730 and I watched the person in front of me pay with a credit card.

Deviljet
Aug '17

Uh, except Piggy's needs to train their staff how to properly slice brisket. We got some on Saturday night and it was not cut across the grain, but with the grain which is wrong. It was also extremely fatty, and for $20/lb. it was a disappointment. We did enjoy the chicken and sides and the BBQ sauce is great. We got the family meal deal and for $20 it was a lot of food.

And for what it's worth, we tried Beyer's a couple of weeks ago on a Friday evening. I'm sorry to say that the food was not very good. We got the sampler, an extra brisket slider and a side of fries. Nothing tasted fresh. The meat was on the dry side, the fries were terrible (like old and refried over and over so dried out to oblivion). Another disappointment for what we spent. Obviously people are enjoying it, so maybe there's a better time to go when the food is fresher.

Tracy Tracy
Aug '17

Thank you Devijet... I witnessed the same type of transaction...

Aug '17

I'm glad to hear that they are accepting cards. Now I just need them to sell chicken without having to buy the sampler.

Calico696 Calico696
Aug '17

They had chicken legs one day when we went.

Metsman Metsman
Aug '17

Have been there several times and each time it's been better.

They have run specials each time I'm there. One time it was 1/2 chicken special, another time it was a sliced brisket special.

NJSkyWatcher NJSkyWatcher
Aug '17

Beyer BBQ is happy to announce that we are now offering quarter chicken specials every day. We are also introducing our sliced brisket upon request! You may also be interested in trying our fresh coleslaw, macaroni salad and baked beans. Stop down and enjoy our amazing property with the family!

Beyer BBQ Beyer BBQ
Aug '17

Thank you for the update... We will stopping over this evening for dinner...

Aug '17

Really excited about the chicken addition! Love the food, cant wait to stop in again soon!

WashingtonTswp
Aug '17

Glad to hear about the chicken. Will try and get there soon.

Calico696 Calico696
Aug '17

Would love love love a shredded bbq chicken sandwich... I'd be there many days a month... lots of work to do it though, I know...

Went there tonight with the dh snd must say that what we had was outstanding. DH had the sampler with fries and I had a pork slider and brisket slider with excellent, house-made cole slaw. I am not one of those people that enjoys smoked *anything* because you can't taste anthing else. It wasn't overly smokey at all. In fact, perfectly done. And the fries are really great too!

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Aug '17

Is there still a large area behind the place for kids to run around? Trying to figure out if I can take the kids and keep them busy while we eat.

Aug '17

Nevermind just seen the pics on Facebook. Place looks great.

Aug '17

Stopped there last night-it was fantastic!
Fries were unbelievable! And the brisket-perfection!

Townies Townies
Aug '17

I have to say, it's extremely frustrating/disappointing when you read such glowing reviews of the same things you had that you were extremely dissatisfied with. It's like we did something wrong, or our expectations on what is/isn't good are different? Oh well. Glad everyone's enjoying it.

Tracy Tracy
Aug '17

Everyone's tastes are different. There have been times that I have tried places that everyone raves about and couldn't stand the food. For Pete's sake, my husband loves spagettios! Ugh! LOL

Calico696 Calico696
Aug '17

Why is it frustrating to find opinions different than yours? We all like, want, dislike, expect differently. No right or wrong. For instance, the pizza that Calico posted, not for me, too burnt. No offense Calico, just my opinion. I am sure you wouldn't agree with some of my likes.

justwondering justwondering
Aug '17

You’re funny Tracy. I guess your opinion is the only one that matters. Perhaps BBQ food isn’t your thing.

Metsman Metsman
Aug '17

It's frustrating that others liked food that you thought was not very good? Or are you saying it's just frustrating you didn't have the same experience as others with the food?
Either way....people are all different and like different things I guess.
I for the life of me cannot figure out what people like about Mamas pizza....but that's another thread :)
I haven't tried this place yet..,,hopefully over the weekend.

JRT (and justwondering), it's frustrating that we didn't have the same positive experience. Especially with something as simple as French fries. I'm not suggesting that it's frustrating that other people don't agree with me or have different opinions. I'm disappointed that we were unhappy with the food and I'm hesitant to spend money there to try it again because I don't know if it was truly a bad example of their food that night, or if we do just have different tastes than others.

Tracy Tracy
Aug '17

I think the pizza thread says it all. Such diversity of tastes and opinions I have never seen. Every shop has someone that loves them and someone who hates them. Shows why its almost impossible for a pizza shop to close in NJ unless its a chain.

No place will rate 100% with everyone. Could be a bad day for eithet buyer or seller. Beyer not only rates high with most but moves to fix most gaps. But at $15 a head fir take out, its got an edge over pizza. Can't wait to try the chicken.

Aug '17

As usual, missed the point entirely, Metsman. That's not what I meant.

Tracy Tracy
Aug '17

Tracy-

The first time I tried Beyers the fries were not good at all. Oily and soggy. The BBQ was good though. I gave them another try and it was like night and day. So much better. But yes...everyone has different tastes

Aug '17

No worries justwondering, different tastes make the world an interesting place.

Calico696 Calico696
Aug '17

Thanks, NJSkyWatcher. That's kind of the reassurance I needed. I'm willing to try them again. I went back and read the entire thread and the posts are just so overwhelmingly positive that it has to have been an off day when we went.

Tracy Tracy
Aug '17

Clyde and I had lunch there today, delicious! We both had the chopped brisket and fries. Also ran into a friend that lives close by and was kind enough to give us a bag of tomatoes from her garden.

Bessie Bessie
Aug '17

Tracy - Please try them again... when they first opened I did not like the fries at all and have gotten dry brisket.... But I am telling everyone this pit master is simply amazing... He will bend over backwards to make you happy ... Please order the Brisket slider with natural juices... please try the new chicken... the fries have been fanatic and not soggy as they were when they first opened... also ask for extra sauce in a cup... it does help to dip your fries on or just to dip some of the chicken as it pulls off the bone... ok... now I want some.... grrrr ... have to wait for lunch... (Note) I am supporter of this business - I do not work there or knew the owner until he moved into Herbies... Please support this new local business it is up to us to offer helpful advice and visit as often as we can... Thank you to everyone who trying to help which seems like everyone... keep the posts coming and you can also find them on Facebook...

Aug '17

The only thing I have to say is I am sorry we did not go sooner. My family went today and everyone loved it. Even got the 5 year old to eat Brisket. Baked Beans are best I ever had. Check it out and support this biz!

Htown Htown
Aug '17

Went with my son on Saturday around 2pm and we got 3 beef sliders and fries. The sliders were good but very chewy:( the fries were hard and cold and tasted old, I don't know why they would be serving old fries at 2pm! This was our 4 trip there since they opened and the fries were out of this world the first visit, I'm thinking they were fresh. Still a nice place and we will keep going there. The owner is the vice principal at Hackettstown Middle school and a very nice person. I wish him all the best and hopefully they will do catering at local events soon!

Earnhardtnov13 Earnhardtnov13
Aug '17

Are they open 7 days a week?

hktownie hktownie
Aug '17

Their FB page says Thursday-Sunday 11-9.

Calico696 Calico696
Aug '17

Its just my opinion went Saturday night got ribs couple samplers it was ok nothing to write home about and thought it was expensive for what we got.well probably try again after we hit some of the other bbq places . Enjoy

Pigpen Pigpen
Aug '17

We tried a couple of samplers last weekend. Plenty of food in a sampler..ribs were OK, chicken was outstanding. Preferred the pork slider over the brisket slider. Would be great to be able to purchase just chicken.

Fly Guy Fly Guy
Aug '17

fyi I think they've adjusted their hours. When I was there last week, there was a sign up that they close at 8:30 and the kitchen closes at 8.

Make sure you stop down this weekend to try our new slow smoked chicken sandwich topped with our homemade coleslaw, pickle and famous BBQ sauce! It will be worth the trip! You ask and we listen!

Beyer BBQ Beyer BBQ
Aug '17

"Slow smoked chicken sandwich you ask we listen"

- I'm there this weekend!!! I'll take 2. ;)

Some time between tomorrow and the end of weekend. Not sure how the rain will be- usually take the motorcycle...

Awesome- very excited!!!

Another vote for the chicken sandwich, will be there tomorrow!

Love that little pickle in the pork slider, it just makes it perfect.

hktownie hktownie
Sep '17

The Pulled Chicken Sliders are pretty good... High Recommended... had a great lunch today ...looking forward to some ribs for dinner...

Sep '17

Went for dinner for my first time. Love the setup inside. Outside looks perfect enough to have a wedding!! Beautiful grounds. Had to wait a bit but it was very well worth it. Very friendly staff. Will definitely be back to try the ribs next weekend!!!!!

LoveLakeLife LoveLakeLife
Sep '17

Had some ribs yesterday sooooo good. Tender and meaty. Can't wait to try the new chicken sandwich! Keep up the delicious food Beyer BBQ!

Independence Fan
Sep '17

Im glad everyone is enjoying the food ! We will have different items featured every week. Like twiced. Baked potato topped with pull pork or brisket n bbq sauce ! Yummy thanks LJB

Lou bruno Lou bruno
Sep '17

By the way the bbq sauce is optional on our new chicken sandwich its great with natural seasoning homemade cole slaw n pickles ! Try it

Lou bruno Lou bruno
Sep '17

Our hrs are thurs thru sun 1130 to 9 kitchen closes at 8pm ! For all who didnt know !TY

Lou bruno Lou bruno
Sep '17

Lou... Thank you for the info... looking forward to next weekend already and need to plan out my first tailgate order for the first Giants home game...

Sep '17

Went for my second visit today and tried the ribs! They were absolutely delish!! Hope to see some football specials coming up soon!!

Sep '17

Restaurant.com is now offering Beyer BBQ, if you're on the fence about going...now is the time!!! :)

tripsy tripsy
Sep '17

tripsy - Do you have the current restaurant.com savings code?

Calico696 Calico696
Sep '17

Never mind, I found it. It's "NEW".

Calico696 Calico696
Sep '17

WOW!! We gunna eat good this weekend!! YEEEEEEHAW

Hick_From_The Area
Sep '17

Trying to order from Restaurant.com and keep getting:

There was an error processing your order. Please try placing your order again later.

Hick_From_The Area
Sep '17

Ha, so I looked to get one of those certificates yesterday too and the fine print said $50 minimum purchase for the $25 certificate. Now it's up to $75. Hard pass.

Tracy Tracy
Sep '17

I tried the Pulled Chicken Slider last night, very generous portion of chicken on the slider, which also was topped with cole slaw. I enjoyed the taste.

If your cost conscious, this place can fit your budget easily. I bought the chicken slider, which was only $2.25 each. Trust me, order two of those and your going to be full, for under $5.

No reason to not try it out, the pulled pork sliders and the brisket sliders also will put you out only in the $5 range for two of those, that shouldn't break the bank if your looking for good food at the convenience of take out.

Sep '17

I saw that too Tracy and decided to pass on the certificate. It's great for a family, but two people can't spend that much in one sitting.

Calico696 Calico696
Sep '17

RA - it is fantastic that you returned to BBQ - I am planning my FULL tailgate menu and will be placing a pretty big order on Sunday for the Monday Night Giants game... Everyone please keep supporting this local business the Pit Master in the best!!!!

Sep '17

Saw this on Beyer BBQ Facebook page:

Beyer BBQ will be hosting our first Beyer BBQ Family Night? Bring your lawn chairs, blankets, and your favorite games for the kids. We will be serving our delicious BBQ all night, and make sure you bring your favorite beverage! This Saturday 9-16. 4-7 pm. Rain date Sunday 9-17!

Sep '17

Thanks for the heads up. We were going to try it Saturday, but we will now pass. I hope the families enjoy.

Calico696 Calico696
Sep '17

I agree Calico696 that to spend that much money in one sitting for 2 people is alot of money. Think the restaurant coupon is advantageous for a take out order for a party or if a family or group goes to eat there. You don't need the coupon to eat there and get full for under $10.00. A slider and fries is definately enough for a good meal though. Been there a few times, definately worth a repeat trip.

Sep '17

The Pit Master - Lou - Great job today getting us ready for the Monday night Giants game... really looking forward ... to sharing this fantastic wood at our tailgate...Gates open at 3:30pm... and I cant wait!!

Sep '17

Went there for first time today. Had the recommended sampler. Sliders were nothing special. Chicken and Ribs very good. Cole slaw side was different which made it good. Overall I'm not blown away to go back due to price. They need to Nerf that down quite a bit.

Sep '17

Ribs were absolutely amazing today!!!

Sep '17

Looks like prices are being reduced.

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Sep '17

Beyer BBQ is testing our new menu prices tomorrow, Thursday! Come on down and let us know if it's a good idea!

Brisket was 12 now 9.99
Pulled pork was 10 now 8.50
Chicken was 8.25 now 7.00
Ribs were 13 for a half now 11.50
Full rack was 25 now 22
Rib sandwich was 10.50 now 9
Fries were 4 now 3

We try to listen to our customers and we want to know if this is a good idea?

Beyer BBQ! You ask we listen!

Jon Beyer
Sep '17

Jon Beyer

Of course I'm sure there would be folks that would like it to be both free and delivered to their door, but that kind of flies in the face of the many reasons one would go into the food business to begin with, so of course you'd have to take some suggestions with a grain of salt as they say.

That said, since a some folks on here have said that they felt your prices were a bit on the high side, it's commendable that you're responding to their concerns. It's obvious, at least to me, that when setting up a business it's necessary to set up a base price point to charge, based on how much you expect to sell, cost of wages, insurance, utilities, equipment maintenance and of course the cost of your raw materials, plus a fair profit left over after all expenses are paid.

Of course your original price point can rise or fall based on customer feedback, local competition, whether or not you offer a higher level of service insofar as great taste and serving your customers in a fast & friendly manner, etc. Of course you have to weigh in on whether or not the prices and quality are at a level sufficient to keep your customers' loyalty and for you to be able to live off the profit and keep the business open.

Of course you already know this, but for people in general that are unaware of how these kinds of things "work" I figured I'd post something so they may think twice before offering "lowball" prices they may feel you (and most other businesses should be charging;-)

Thanks for keeping your customers informed and responding to the feedback. I definitely appreciate both that and the price cuts and will likely be back soon with my "dinner friends", since we really enjoyed your food the times we stopped in!

Phil D. Phil D.
Sep '17

Great start with price change. It's a very good move and think you'll get a much better return, as the food is great. Advice from an old high school buddy :)

Sep '17

Jon

I (Translation... my family) fully support your business and the new prices are great... looking forward to my next tailgate...

Sep '17

Very commendable of you Jon.

positive positive
Sep '17

Well said Phil, you hit the nail right on the head.

kb2755 kb2755
Sep '17

I stopped by again on Sunday afternoon and was disappointed that I still could not get sliced brisket. Was told that it had all been pulled since it was the end of the weekend. Not sure why that would make a difference.

Would love to support this place, but so far it hasn't been working out for me, for my wants or taste.

Are the ribs served with sauce on them (can you get it without sauce?) or is it a dry rub? I am not a fan of that kind of sauce. I prefer a kind like Sonny's Real Pit BBQ from down south. Any time a family member was in the area they'd bring back gallons of that good stuff! :)

Jon Beyer, does the reduced price mean that the quality of the meats has been reduced as well? Hoping not since one of the best features of your establishment is attention to quality. Will you still be offering free range, steroid free chicken and pork and Piedmontese beef?

Jules Jules
Sep '17

Had one of my best meals yesterday... really liking the wings and chicken legs they have... also I have seen others post about the Cole Slaw...I agree... it is fantastic!!! I love the new pricing... but for those folks who cost concerned - please try there sliders #2 of them is a lot of food and wont hurt the wallet... just note when ordering the Brisket you must ask for natural juices it makes all the difference in the world!!!

Sep '17

Beyer BBQ FB post ... Like the page for free food!!

Giants vs. Bucs

Who do you think is going to win?

For a limited time for every $50 you spend, you will receive a choice of 6 wings, 3 sliders, OR 4 ribs. You can choose whichever menu item you'd like for FREE from the list mentioned before.

Just mention or show this post to claim your free food!

Oct '17

Giants vs. Bucs - Who do you think is going to win?

"Flyers"

from Beyer BBQ - Facebook page...

Would you like to receive some FREE food from Beyer BBQ?

For a limited time, for every $50 you spend at Beyer BBQ, you will receive the choice of 5 free wings, 4 free ribs, OR 3 sliders.

There are no catches!

Beyer BBQ is a full service catering restaurant. Every catering order comes with Coleslaw, Macaroni Salad, Pickles and Rolls!

Call us at (908)-914-1428 for your custom catering options!

Allow us to do the cooking so you can enjoy your time with your friends or family. We will prepare the food for you and then deliver it to your location, or you can pick it up at Beyer BBQ! Enjoy some fresh & FREE food!

We have delicious home cooked menu items such as:

-Pull Pork
-Ribs
-Chicken
-Brisket
& more!

Give us a call at (908)-914-1428!

Have a great day!

Oct '17

Definately awesome to think of using for a Sunday Funday party watching nascar!!

Oct '17

Stopped in tonight!! Chicken rocked!!

Oct '17

Stopped in today between soccer games, food was excellent! Pulled pork and pulled chicken were yummy and the fries were just right. They even accommodated my picky eater by serving his slider plain. Will definitely be back soon.

I went for the first time and it was delicious. The pulled pork slider was a hit, the sauce on the ribs - yummmmmy. I thought the hot wings, though, were a TOUCH on the pink side so I only nibbled on those. But way too much money. $8.00 for 6 chicken wings is a bit much. I mean, it's chicken wings with a tiny bit of sauce on them. What costs $8.00? Otherwise, I'll definitely be back for more.

heard there would be music there this coming sunday afternoon?

BrotherDog BrotherDog
Oct '17

Not much left by dinner time Sunday. Field was pretty much grazed, had to move on to greener pastures. Not often you go to restaurant that runs out of food.......

Oct '17

^ That’s just a risk with BBQ places. Many good ones may may not make it past lunch depending on the crowds.

Any firm dates set as to when this may close for the season?

D-ManPV D-ManPV
Oct '17

Burn my ribs, shame on you.

Come back for no-food-Sundays, shame on me :>)

Oct '17

When you run a food business every bit of waste comes off of your bottom line.

I would rather have them run out of food than cook too much and serve leftovers. This means everything they offer is prepared fresh based on their best estimate of the demand for a given day. It's a good thing!

hktownie hktownie
Oct '17

I agree hktownie.

Where I grew up (Essex County) you always knew which bakeries were better than others by how early in the day they ran out of bread. We also had an awesome local sub shop that would close up when they used up all the bread they got delivered that morning.

Calico696 Calico696
Oct '17

I have heard of a lot of places that close when they run out of bread. To be honest it doesn't make much sense to me. Bread has to be one of the lowest cost items in a sandwich. What does a roll cost, 50 cents? I know when I get a sandwich I always buy a soda and a bag of chips. So by running out of bread the store losses those sales as well. Besides there are lots of things a store could do with left over bread.

If Beyer BBQ is always out of food on Sunday's they should increase what they make and figure out something to do with the left overs.

Hot Under tbe Collar
Oct '17

Day old bread and meats have only one thing that happens with them. They go in the dumpster. And they have to raise prices to cover that. Buying a lot of extra meat at the price of Piedmontese beef is going to put them out of business quickly.

By throwing out the bread you are throwing out money. Why not make something out of it?

Hot Under tbe Collar
Oct '17

Reading threads like this- you can always tell who has never run a business, and just has no idea how it works.

Gems such as - "I mean, it's chicken wings with a tiny bit of sauce on them. What costs $8.00? "

Sure you can go to Shoprite and buy wings and sauce and make your own for less than $8.

So lets say you can do that for $4 instead-

I want you to be open several days a week- I will show up on those days, whenever I feel like it- give you $4 and eat the chicken I expect for you to have ready for me any of those days. At your house. With your oven. Hand it to me on a plate with a napkin. I'll throw the plate in your trash when I am done. Oh, and I am going to poop in your bathroom on the way out. Make sure it is clean next time I show up. $4 is awesome. :)

Now go buy a building, pay the tax, lights, sewer, lawn care, upkeep, heat/ac, napkins, toilet paper, staff, oven, fridge, other equipment- and come back and tell us what you need to charge to keep the doors open and make it worth it to you for you to do so.

You aren't paying just for the food- you are paying to be able to show up to a place, where you can sit inside or out, and them already have a menu of several foods available, the means to prepare it and people serve it to you.

Or- "If Beyer BBQ is always out of food on Sunday's they should increase what they make and figure out something to do with the left overs."

Such as???

Use chicken, beef and pork for a fajita.

Use your left over bread for bread crumbs. They are nice on top of home made Mac and Cheese.

I am not a cook but it makes sense to do the most with what your have. Customers will only go to a place so many times and hear "sorry we are sold out" before they go somewhere else.

Hot Under tbe Collar
Oct '17

Don't matter to me. I just will skip the Sunday disappointment. If I can remember cash only, j can remember that.

Or.......maybe I could call and order ahead. There's a concept; takeout reservations ;-)

Oct '17

I agree that a BBW place that sells out is a compliment to the establishment. If you over cool for an anticipation of the whole neighborhood coming what do you do? Todd the food in the garbage. It is a small business that I proudly support. Order early for a puck up time to endure they will have your food ready. Nice staff, friendly owner and great food! Look forward to brining my family on the 22nd for their family day event!

Ilovethela Ilovethela
Oct '17

SD, they took credit cards the last time we were there.

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Oct '17

Without food, I didn't get to the credit card part. That't great. One of the first things I learned in NW Jersey is that you don't pick a resurant based on the number of cars in the lot. I mean that's how you can end up at the Riviera on the wrong night. Just not a perfect calibration for matching your taste here

And no, running out of food is not necessarily proof of being good; it is proof of under estimating, the effect of which is less customers late Sunday and higher customer dissatisfaction for those who do make the mistake of driving in. I mean otherwise you must conclude the chicken sucks because thats what is left....And we know the chicken is reviewed as great; by me too.

How about this: new sign. Open With Limited Menu. Or just simply Sold Out. Then I could drive right on by. Or maybe raise a red flag when out of ribs; yellow for brisket ;-)

Just saying that I understand to the owner the value of smart inventory. But as a customer, I just wanted what is being advertised.

Its OK. I found another place.

Big question that solves all. Can you phone in an advance order like call Sat. For ribs at 5pm pickup Sunday? I got a credit card.....

Oct '17

That's all well and good, Josh, but some of us don't have an extra $4.00 to spend on ambiance. Sadly.

Hey, if you want to talk wings you can't get at SR; we're talking Marley's; NJ's finest wings, largest sauce selection. Their wings are yuge.

I like to build my own sampler....Used to take Restaurant.com for lunches too.

Oct '17

Josh, and a lot of these people may work at a public job and don't realize that the money for their total compensation comes from somewhere (taxpayers). In 2017 who thinks you can sell 6-8 chicken wings for $4 and not go bankrupt?

I didn't say sell them for $4.00 and go bankrupt. But I can get a 6 pack of wings anywhere for $4.95, even $6.00, but $8.00 is more than I can afford. I go out to eat maybe once every 3 months, maybe. And as much as I did enjoy the food here at Beyer's, I can't do $8.00 wings but once a year. They weren't that good. I can make them better myself. Having said that, good luck to them. The ribs are good.

Remember that Beyer is open Th-Sun. Closed M-W. Would you really want them to save Sunday's leftovers to be served to you on Thursday? I would not.

So seems likely that if they are going to run out, Sunday end of day would be the day. Most thinking people would be fine with that, I know I am. It happened to us once. Now we go on Saturday instead.

I don't see any issue with HLers reviewing local businesses. But it's a shame people feel a need to SLAM them for the slightest little thing. Would you rather have empty stores all around? Running a small business isn't easy and it's obvious that many of these folks are trying their best, accepting feedback and making improvements.

hktownie hktownie
Oct '17

MYD where the hell are you buying wings? Marley's are like $11. Dominos and Pizza Hut are like $7. And any restaurant are $8-10.

Metsman Metsman
Oct '17

Marley's charges $11 for six wings?

Sharky's in Alpha has great wings that are $0.60 a piece during Happy Hour and a lunch special with 8 wings, fries and a soda for $5.99. So, there ARE deals out there to be had...

ianimal ianimal
Oct '17

No you get 10 I believe.

Yeah I've gone to wing specials before. Doesn't mean the quality is there.

Metsman Metsman
Oct '17

Ever see a Marley's wing?

Other places call them legs.

Oct '17

Sharky's wings are as good as I've had anywhere in the area. Other HLers have had them too.

And... regular menu price is $10.99 for 10 wings, so you have to take advantage of the specials.

ianimal ianimal
Oct '17

Yes, Sharky's wings are good and their lunch specials are hard to beat. If Meister wasn't so far off the beaten path, I would suggest we have our annual HL MLB opening day lunch there every year.

Calico696 Calico696
Oct '17

Come on, Marley's wings rule. Voted so....

But next time I am near Alpha.....

Oct '17

MYD, I have not tried the wings yet. If they are of higher quality or quantity the $8.00 is ok. If it is tight on the budget then that's another story. I have made damn good wings at home as the recipe is simple, but damn that oil splatter all over the place is not cool...

Marley's are definitely the best wings I've ever had.

Metsman Metsman
Oct '17

Love Marley's. Wings rule.

Beyer Chicken sandwich, most excellent experience. Someone had sampler too and chicken leg was yuge. Love the slaw, very different and zippy. Like the rough cut home fries too, really good. Fresh cut (I think) and no food starch (McD's secret for crispness that's like drinking high fructose corn syrup straight up). Not sure I would say out of this world one of a kind, but points for "just the fries, maa'm, just factual fries...." For out of this world, especially on a crisp day, still like Johnnies' fries, big cut, almost always smoking hot and crisp without the extra food starch spray.

Nice to see more neon at night in Great Meadows. The mucklands are glowing again.

And yeah, got there early this week-end.

Oct '17

Thanks to the whole staff at Beyer BBQ ... Your service is the best and your food is even better... Hope "Family Day" goes well on Sunday it is going to be perfect weather...

Oct '17

Live music 2:30 - 6:00.

Indie Indie
Oct '17

wow ... the sliders and ribs were a huge hit for our tailgate... just wish the Giants would show up and play football... well always next year...

Oct '17

Went to Beyer for my first time this weekend! Outstanding. Flavorful. Good prices! Love the wings. My husband absolutely enjoyed the sampler I brought home for him. We will absolutely be back!

Fishin' Chick Fishin' Chick
Oct '17

ijay..have you ever tried baking your wings until they get nice and crispy, then put your sauce on, very good and a lot less messy.

Bessie Bessie
Oct '17

food is really good and the live music was very nice out in the back on sunday as well, young Harry Noble is one hot guitar player for sure, really accomplished as a musician, it was nice to hear him play, hope to see more of that in future. .

BrotherDog BrotherDog
Oct '17

We picked up food for the first time last night. Huge portions! The pulled pork is excellent. Super lean and not drowning in bbq sauce. Served with 3 huge pickle slices on a very large bun. We also got chicken nuggets/tenders off the kids menu. They could have been crispier, but they were terrific - also a huge portion. The chicken wings were a pleasant surprise. A nice kick to the sauce, and they were very crispy. We'll be back. Ribs will be on the next order. Well done, Beyer BBQ!

4of4
Oct '17

Wow! Amazing ribs! What a nice atmosphere. Stopped in last night to get some food to go. The man working the smoker has such a pleasant personality. I wish this place all the best. Nice too have a local BBQ joint in the neighborhood. The best to Beyer BBQ!!

Goodstuff Goodstuff
Oct '17

Wonderful place wonderful people A+

Tommy
Oct '17

Stopped in yesterday to try the ribs! Absolutely delicious! Owner is a very nice person. We will be back!

Oct '17

Food is good but they raised the prices by 50 cents on everything. Man a little bbq slider is now $3.50 it's getting expensive and the fries have gone south, they are nasty now! We won't even order them anymore:( Also the wings are a little expensive and I refuse to pay that much for barely any food on them!

Earnhardtnov13 Earnhardtnov13
Oct '17

$3.50 is expensive to you? LOL... Two of them is enough for one person. Go get a meal from Wendy's and you're dropping 10 bucks for crap.

Metsman Metsman
Oct '17

Just letting ya''ll Beyer BBQ fans know that I went over there today and saw a sign that they are beginning winter hours and will only be open Friday, Saturday and Sunday.

Nov '17

Can't seem to find a menu online. Would like to try it.
Tried Piggys and will never go back. Service was terrible and so was the food.

Botheredbyuu2 Botheredbyuu2
Nov '17

Saw this on the facebook page:

Thanksgiving Dinner from Beyer BBQ!
Amazing Smoked Turkey
Perfect Stuffing
Melt in your Mouth Gravy
And Fresh Baked DinnerRolls from Anthony and Son's Bakery!
You choose the weight of the Bird.
$8 dollars a pound (for the turkey) gets you everything!
All orders must be in by Friday 11-17.
Place your order by phone at 908-914-1428 and leave a message with you name, number, and weight for your turkey.
Pick up by 3 pm!

Goodstuff Goodstuff
Nov '17

Service is good at Beyer....and service really matters. .I had a terrible experience last weekend at Piggy's and I'll never go back. Don't know if he was a manager or owner, but the man behind the BBQ was absolutely nasty. We walked out after telling him how unhappy we were with how he talked to us. If we want BBQ now it will be Beyer.

LenaK LenaK
Nov '17

Beyer does has delicious food, good brisket. Totally agree about piggy's very rude counter people, in person and on the phone. I always say thanks when I place an order on the phone, almost always got hung up on as soon as I said it. Last straw was getting stale fries mixed in with regular. Half were hot, half were cold, and some of them actually had ketchup on them. Think I got someone's leftovers, haven't been back in over a year.

Denis Denis
Nov '17

Beyer does have great food! We are in love with the ribs and chicken wings! Decent prices. Nice atmosphere. People that work there are very friendly. We are repeat customers. They are only open from Friday-Sunday. No menu is online but they have menus on the counter there to take with you. I would highly recommend the place. I know it is cold out but they also have ice cream :)

Goodstuff Goodstuff
Nov '17

Tried some Brisket Chile at bbbq today and it was excellent.

Indie Indie
Nov '17

Denis-we ordered BLT. Got home and there was NO tomatoe and it looked like someone stepped on it. Called them and the "kid" that answered was very nasty, unhelpful and rude.
Asked for the manager. He was helpful and offered us another sandwich. We never went back.

Botheredbyuu2 Botheredbyuu2
Nov '17

Wow, I'm really surprised at these comments. We go to Piggy's regularly and have always enjoyed the food and find the people to be very nice. Hmmm.

Honestly MB we've been customers for a long time too. Our most recent visit was just so negative.....the owner actually yelled at us that he hadn't even started our order. We had arrived 30 minutes after ordering and weren't even complaining. All we did was give our name. Maybe they were having a bad day....maybe they were overloaded. But in a customer service industry that's not acceptable. I'm sure others will be happy there but we will choose to spend our money elsewhere.

LenaK LenaK
Nov '17

Then ran out of all the BBQ the only night I was there (Piggy's). Only had BBQ chicken wings which were not good. BBQ joints are tough to run. I only knew of one in eastern Morris county that closed over a decade ago.

Piggys went downhill after they moved into that location. I found the owner to be nice and helpful but I agree the staff isn’t friendly. When I call in my order they ask me what I want, I have to repeat myself twice because apparently they aren’t ready to take my order. Then they hang up without saying bye. Rude.

Fallfan Fallfan
Nov '17

There are lots of BBQ places currently in either Morris, Sussex, or Warren County. Hot Rods is one of the oldest and well known. Texas Smoke, Oink, and Minuteman haven't been around quite as long, but are not new.

Out of all of those Beyer is very easily the best. They're not the cheapest but also not the most expensive. They have the meat as well as the sides.

Black River Barn used to have a heck of a good sauce that made theirs really good. It was authentic too done in the back in their outside pit. But ownership there changed, became a bit weird, and really don't do BBQ like that any more.

Beyer BBQ is offering a 20% discount today to Veterans ... how nice!

Goodstuff Goodstuff
Nov '17

Remember this thread is about Beyer.

If someone is reading through this quickly they may think some of these bad reviews are for Beyer and not Piggys.

Nosila Nosila
Nov '17

@ Nosila ... you are correct... the bad customer service issues are at Piggys...

The customer service at Beyer BBQ and food and pricing is simply fantastic hands down... please everyone if you have not tired this place you need to... get a sampler if you are a first timer visitor... it is a nice day to take a drive over...

Please support this local family owned business...

Nov '17

The people that run Beyer's are very pleasant and seem to want to keep quality top notch. I remember going one day over the summer and they were delivered the wrong meat and refused to serve it to the public so they closed that day. I was disappointed, but I would have rather gotten top quality than something mediocre. Went back the following weekend and had a great meal.

Metsman Metsman
Nov '17

"Beyer BBQ is offering a 20% discount today to Veterans ... how nice!"

Aww... sorry I missed it. That was very good of them.

The Brisket Chili is amazing...

Nov '17

Group... Beyer BBQ in Great Meadows needs at least 10 orders to make this happen... as a selling point if you get the awesome smoked turkey you oven will be freed up for your home made sides and pies... FYI ... we really want this to work out for this local family owned business...

Saw this on the facebook page:

Thanksgiving Dinner from Beyer BBQ!
Amazing Smoked Turkey
Perfect Stuffing
Melt in your Mouth Gravy
And Fresh Baked DinnerRolls from Anthony and Son's Bakery!
You choose the weight of the Bird.
$8 dollars a pound (for the turkey) gets you everything!
All orders must be in by Friday 11-17.
Place your order by phone at 908-914-1428 and leave a message with you name, number, and weight for your turkey.
Pick up by 3 pm!

Nov '17

Agree with you LibertyThinker on the brisket chili. A good friend shared some with me- the portion for the price was quite generous- and I can say it is some of the best chili I have ever had.

Thanks for your recommendations- I have tried several of the items you mentioned previously to great success!

Nov '17

Had we not had plans to be going elsewhere for Thanksgiving we would absolutely be ordering for Beyer BBQ. Hopefully they will do this next year for Thanksgiving as I believe it will be at our home next year. This way I can make smoked turkey soup with the leftovers. Good luck Beyer. Hope you get your orders and make happy tummys for the holiday!

Nov '17

Get down to Beyer this weekend is the last weekend of the season :(

Goodstuff Goodstuff
Nov '17

They have a season now that they have a building?

Why? Odd.

Bye for the season Beyer BBQ. Thanks for all the yummy food! See you in the Spring!

Independence fan
Nov '17

That is odd that they are going to be closed for the season, but I guess they have their reasons. We still haven't gotten to try it. I guess we will have to wait until next year now.

Calico696 Calico696
Nov '17

I think of them like a Rita's Ice - with the outside service window, your not prone to wait for an order when it is cold. I know, I know, you can order inside, but the perception of that building is that it is an outside ordering type of place.

They have probably done the analysis or seen the trend of customers tailing off since it has gotten colder/darker.

However, since it is the first fall/winter of them in the building, and they do make delicious hot food, it may have been worth a try to see how business would have faired, at least through December. I would have loved some of that food on a cold day.

But, again, they must have done the analysis and decided it would not be worth opening the doors for that time.

Nov '17

Isn't all of the smoking done outside? I imagine the cold weather has some impact on the smoking equipment as well as the staff.

No regrets
Nov '17

Must be difficult to keep the smoker at the necessary temp for the extended time needed when it's cold outside.

hktownie hktownie
Nov '17

Closing for a few months is a good idea... Herbies was only opened during the summer ... which stunk as Ice Cream is still a tasty treat in April, May - Sept and Oct... as for BBQ ... I hope they will consider a few soft openings in April and see the response... I know for sure the day they reopen I will be knocking on the door... lets also hope some of the pricing comes down a bit... or offer a repeat customer card... orders of $$ gets you a gift card to be used on a different day... any thing to keep old and new customers to return and return often... and now I will wrap up my last post for the year... I am very proud of the Htown group for keeping this family owned local business going and going strong during the summer... we all need to spread the word support this local business once they re-open...

Nov '17

Any signs around town saying when the opening will be?

Not sure of a date, but the placed a classified for a number of positions on March 6th.

Andrew's Mom Andrew's Mom
Mar '18

Opening in the Spring which is posted at the location... honestly cant wait for the Ribs again!!!!

Mar '18

I'll be back :)

What is the opening date? "Spring" is any date between March 21 to June 20th.

Mar '18

Spring is not set based on some Pagan calendar, Spring comes when BBBQ is open! I saw the sign on their window; I saw the sign in their parking lot. It's coming any day now.

Like Robins in your back yard, BBBQ is a harbinger of that warm, comforting Spring sunshine. Last weekend I saw Robins in the backyard and a large crew cab in the parking lot at BBBQ. Spring is in the air, in the backyard, in the parking lot, and so will that sweet, sweet, BBQ smoke......soon.

Mar '18

Have heard that Beyer's will not be opening this year.

Mar '18

I'm pretty sure you heard wrong, unless something big happened very recently!

Deviljet
Mar '18

They are probably waiting for the weather to turn before they announce an opening day. Meat is too expensive to throw out

Hot under the collar
Mar '18

Beyer BBQ looks like it’s not opening since they took the sign down and they were clearing the place out today....

Pots&Pans Pots&Pans
Mar '18

I saw them pulling the ice cream machine out into a uhaul around 10 this morning. Didn't notice if the sign was down.

youngen youngen
Mar '18

I saw them taking the sign down just before 12pm today. I was wondering what was going on.

very sad news ...hope they re-open in a new location ...

Mar '18

That's sad news. I was hoping to try it this season.

Aquarius Aquarius
Mar '18

:(

What happened?

DARN! I drove by there on Saturday morning around 10am and there were two trucks in the parking lot, but the See You In The Spring sign was still up. Good gracious, this is a loss.

Very confused because a couple of months ago they had job postings up on here for positions. Dont know what happened. Sad

Lala124 Lala124
Mar '18

Restaurant business is very tough! The owner probably want to stop the bleeding of cash flow. Paying rent threw the winter without income is a hurdle.

Weedwacker Weedwacker
Mar '18

That's a shame. I loved their food. Hope they come back with a stand at least.

Metsman Metsman
Mar '18

I wish them well. BBBQ is very good at communicating so the silence is disheartening. Hope all is good.

Mar '18

oh no!!

hktownie hktownie
Mar '18

I'm sure they will let everyone know. A lot can change quickly so who knows what drove this decision. I'm assuming they made the decision that was best for their family.

Nosila Nosila
Mar '18

They are looking for a new location and will post when they find one.

hopefully
Mar '18

Did they raise the rent on the old one?

Bug3
Mar '18

Looks like I will be buying myself a smoker ... any word on a new location ? Any word if they will open up on the road ?

Mar '18

Sorry to see this place close! Enjoyed the bbq here and the owner Mr. Beyer was a real nice guy! Hopefully they will find a better all year round location than that dump on the side of the road!

EarnhardtNov13 EarnhardtNov13
Mar '18

The "dump" actually is a great location, storefront on a major road going through the area, and they had a good following there. There were events in the back area last summer. Old time Americana, there is nothing wrong with it, beyond perhaps the price that it cost them to rent it. Should they tear down a building with some character and put up a Quick Chek that isn't such a "dump". Of course not.

Several successful business have been there, including Beyers BBQ and Herbies for years. Another business will open there again. If Beyers wasn't a seasonal business,with their product mainly being prepared outside in the smokers, I am willing to bet they would have survived the winter and still be in business now at that location.

Mar '18

Not a dump. Guess things just didn't work out. Actually it's a great location.

Indie Indie
Mar '18

Hope they bring the soft serve back.......

Hope Beyer recognizes that both sides of the street worked; will somewhere else?

Hey, if they swung a deal to use Bonita's parking lot, maybe Bonita's would let us eat inside while ordering copious amounts of alcohol :>)

Mar '18

It’s a shame to see any business close but really hope something more like Herbies opens as we found the food to be way too expensive for grab and go and I missed Herbies ice cream.

Liberty Mom
Mar '18

The restaurant business is tough. People don't realize the blood, sweat and tears that goes into operating a restaurant. I wish the owner the best.

honest abe honest abe
Mar '18

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.