Hotel for visiting family?

Does anyone have an idea of a decent cheap hotel in the area? I have family visiting over Labor Day weekend they don't have a lot of money, and I don't have room enough for them. I was thinking bounce with the bear on 46 but can't seem to find a phone number is it still open? I don't go past regularly, thanks for your time

Kevin Kevin
Aug '16

I would look on one of the booking sites like Expedia. You can search by price.

Jane123 Jane123
Aug '16

Don't use bounce with bear. I remember reading years ago about bed bugs. Would guess now their patrons are living there full time.

There is a hotel in Mansfield by Shoprite, and a few in Budd Lake. Of course, the Mansfield hotel on 57 towards washington has low rates. I don't know if they ever have guests though! Don't think it falls into your "decent" category.

maja2 maja2
Aug '16

Holiday Inn at ITC in Mount Olive. I honestly would not put them in a motel out this way. No offense to "Bear."

My wife & I stayed at the Days Inn in Budd Lake once when our plumbing was being reworked. It was nice enough.

1988LJ 1988LJ
Aug '16

Newton has quite a few hotels..

Geekdad Geekdad
Aug '16

Residence Inn in ITC

Sport
Aug '16

Days Inn in Mount Olive is disgusting. I had to stay there when we had our floors refinished and never again.

Antimony Antimony
Aug '16

It's so late notice most decent hotels are already booked up for the holiday weekend. Better to check around and see if you can get anything at all.

Residence Inn at about $160 vs Holiday Inn at $180 is the better deal. But I don't know if that's exactly at the 'don't have a lot of money' level you're looking for. If they want a better name hotel but at a much better price then all of the ones in the Parsippany area are under a lot of competition. Particularly for non-business weekend travelers. It means traveling, but might be the best deal.

I know there is the Belvidere Hotel, some in Budd Lake area and Hackettstown. I don't remember the names of them.

There is a little hotel in Washington on rt 57. Nice clean with coffee pot microwave.

Wbeleno Wbeleno
Aug '16

Do not let them Bounce with Bear. They rent it weekly to people. And I see the police there a lot. I don't know what for, but, if the police show up its never good.

Stored
Aug '16

There are a few listings in Hackettstown on Airbnb. Less expensive than motels and usually nice accommodations. I've never encountered problems staying in an Airbnb listing.

outsider outsider
Aug '16

Here's the website for The Quality Inn in Mansfield Twp. behind Taco Bell off Rt. 57:

https://www.choicehotels.com/new-jersey/hackettstown/quality-inn-hotels/nj164?source=gyxt

The rates seem fairly reasonable, they're close to town and the company I work for has used them many times in the past for visitors, including those from other countries and I don't remember ever having heard of any issues. I've never personally stayed there though, so I'm only going by what I've heard.

Of course, there's the Marriott's "Residence Inn at Mt. Olive" which is highly rated:

http://www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/cdwri-residence-inn-mt-olive-at-international-trade-center/?scid=bb1a189a-fec3-4d19-a255-54ba596febe2

The Holiday Inn is right next to that too:

https://www.ihg.com/holidayinn/hotels/us/en/budd-lake/ewrbl/hoteldetail?cm_mmc=GoogleMaps-_-HI-_-USA-_-EWRBL

Here's the website for the Econo-court on Rt. 46 in Vienna:

http://www.econocourtmotel.com/

Hopefully you'll find a place that works well for you and your guests!

Phil D. Phil D.
Aug '16

There's a Courtyard by Marriot in Mount Arlington (exit 30) as well. And a Holiday Inn Express!

Place next to bowling alley in Washington. Stayed there when lady friend and i both came to area. Would give it a B- but owner is nice and friendly.

Felipe Felipe
Aug '16

I've heard good things about the super 8 on 46 in Budd lake. We ve been to a bunch of parties at the Marriott in itc and that place is comfy From the rooms, to the indoor pool, to the lounge area.

You might want to try the Everitt House Bed & Breakfast in Hackettstown. Room prices range from $95-$150. 908-684-1307.

Days Inn Budd Lake was nice. Inexpensive too. Quality Inn next to Shoprite employees thieves. Wouldn't stay there.

Botheredbyuu2 Botheredbyuu2
Aug '16

If I was the attorney for Quality Inn Inc., Botherbyuu2, I'd hunt you down (shouldn't be too hard to get your contact information from this website with a court injunction) and sue you for defamation.

There is a motel in Independence/Great Meadows called Econo Lodge. It did not have good reviews from previous owner but I noticed lately their are cars in it all the time and they are not live ins. It has new owners and I understand is clean and cheap. BUT it is really just a place to sleep. You park and walk in the door like the old time motels. One floor-Econo-Court Motel Inc.191 US-46, Great Meadows, NJ 07838
Phone: (908) 637-4176
Some of the ones in Budd lake are pricey and not clean. Also had friends stay at the Red Roof Inn. Little high priced but more of a Hotel style with elevator and breakfast included.

Carol Carol
Aug '16

Nova - it's called freedom of speech. My opinion. Can't sue. SMH!

How come others can say not nice things about other hotels on this thread, but you attack me?

Botheredbyuu2 Botheredbyuu2
Aug '16

Bothered - this exchange had me curious - and I am not at all familiar with the law, but your statement - expressed as a FACT rather than an opinion does seem to fall within the definitions of defamation that I found....
"Quality Inn next to Shoprite employees thieves. "

As opposed to antimony's opinion:
"Days Inn in Mount Olive is disgusting."

http://injury.findlaw.com/torts-and-personal-injuries/defamation-law-the-basics.html

Social Media and Defamation

With the rise of social media, it’s now easier than ever to make a defamatory statement. That’s because social media services like Twitter and Facebook allow you to instantly “publish” a statement that can reach thousands of people. Whether it’s a disparaging blog post, Facebook status update, or YouTube video, online defamation is treated the same way as more traditional forms. That means you can be sued for any defamatory statements you post online.

Please, people, correct me - clarify if I am wrong - I found this very interesting in light of the common HL exchanges!

pmnsk pmnsk
Aug '16

The old "Bounce with Bear" does have new owners. I met someone in the local laundry who is doing renovations. It was in disrepair, but maybe drive over on Monday and take a look.

The Everitt House B&B is a great idea ~ maybe give you a good price since you're a townie.

Is the Inn Publick House in Chester open ~ used to be a favorite for friends wanting to stay local and avoid the big chain hotels/motels.

Good Luck!

pmnsk, you're basically correct. If I write, "In my personal opinion, John is a jerk," it's generally not libel. But if I state it as if it's a fact, rather than my own opinion, it can be considered libel.

But here's the other catch: it's only libel if it's NOT true AND if it's actually harmful, in some way.

First, let's tackle the truth part. Yes, John may be able to sue me, for calling him a jerk. However, if I call all of John's friends and relatives and co-workers to court, and many of them say he's a jerk, then it's hard to prove that what I said is not true.

Now, the damage. Suppose I tell every resident of Mongolia that John, a typical American plumber living in Hackettstown, is a jerk. That's almost 3 million people, so it's definitely a public statement. But how much damage does it really do, if practically nobody in New Jersey ever hears about it? And even if they do, how does it actually harm him? What if it doesn't affect his business, and his wife and kids still love him, and his friends still like him--was there actually any "harm"?

We can now apply all of this to the statements above. Someone inferred that the employees of a particular hotel are "thieves." But what does that mean? Is he saying they actually steal your belongings, or that they are "thieves" for charging too much for products and services? What if one of them was convicted of shoplifting, 20 years ago--is he still a "thief"? What if two employees actually stole from guests, and were caught, but both were immediately fired? What if 10 other hotel guests filed police reports alleging theft of their belongings, but nobody was ever caught or convicted? Basically, it can sometimes be quite a bit of trouble, to really prove true libel.

All of that being noted, if you're going to express something negative about a person or place of business, it's usually best to preface it with, "In my personal opinion...."

JerseyWolf JerseyWolf
Aug '16

I hope you're right Jerseywolf if not a lot of us on here are going to be in court.

They can have my rusted beat up old 92 Honda. Lol.

positive positive
Aug '16

Jersey, thank you for explaining! That was very helpful - and..... "in my personal opinion.." will likely show up a lot more on this site!! LOL

pmnsk pmnsk
Aug '16

Whoever said that the police are at Bouncing with Bear is correct. Drive by there at evening hours and you will see cops there many times. It's my understanding that the place keeps the Independence cops very busy.

Also, the septic system there has issues as it leaks out onto the highway. They have dug a ditch and had what looks like perk holes dug for testing. I've also seen the septic pumper there 2-3 times in the last few months. The issue still isn't fixed from what I see. I personally don't think I would want visiting family to stay at this place.

Magpie Magpie
Aug '16

The Publick House in Chester ~ nice!!

Might be a nice place, but just FYI, Publick House is $175 per night and UP.

try www.aibnb.com, put in Hackettstown zip
many people locally rent out rooms or their entire home for a night
Ive used the service when I travel
You can rent from $40 to $100 per night

The Inn at Milrace Pond, Hope

Vicinity Vicinity
Aug '16

When I put in 07840 to Air BnB, I get only three choices. One is a home in Rustic Knolls that is over $300 per night. $300 per night. The second I wouldn't suggest, but there is a room that someone in the Hills of Independence has for $75 per night. Of all the choices around, that might actually fit the bill.

there is a hotel next to the police station on rt 46 in Roxbury...also; "whistling swan" b&b in Stanhope..Although I have never stayed there.
good luck

Steven Steven
Aug '16

GC what is your concern about the second Airbnb in Hackettstown?

outsider outsider
Aug '16

That's yours then outsider? The issue seemed to be from the photo that it was a 5 x 5 bed shoe horned in a 5 x 6 room. You'd have to breathe in to be able to close the door. One OK review vs 25+ 5 star reviews. It might be OK but compared to the other place it was no contest.

JerseyWolf - Is it about how you state it ("as if it's a fact") or whether it's verifiable as a fact or not? My understanding as a non-lawyer is that you can still say "it's just my opinion" but if it can be verified then there's no difference. I always was led to believe by lawyers that it's wasn't just how someone presented the statement.

GC, if something is true, it doesn't matter how bad it is or how you say it. If you're a psychopathic serial killer, it really doesn't matter how, when, or where I call you a psychopathic serial killer; it's not libel to state the truth. If I post online and say, "GC is a psychopathic serial killer," and you're not, then it is potentially libelous. If you ARE a serial killer, but I can't prove it, then you could still possibly sue me for libel and win.

However, if I say something like, "In my opinion, GC acts like a psychopathic serial killer," that's generally not libel. If I leave out the first part, and just say, "GC acts like a psychopathic serial killer," then it sounds more like a statement of fact and not a personal opinion, and it becomes more esoteric and arguable. For example, if I were to research and learn that most serial killers obsessively floss their teeth 10 times a day, and YOU also floss your teeth 10 times a day, then in fact, you actually DO act like a psychopathic serial killer, so my statement is true and, therefore, not really libel. And yet, if you were to sue me for making that statement, it's also possible that a jury might side with you.

JerseyWolf JerseyWolf
Aug '16

No GC not my home. If it was I would have contacted Kevin. Both are very viable choices in my opinion . I know you said the room looked small, but did you actually read the reviews ? The guest's said it was spacious. Both are viable choices, both are lovely accomodations.
It's nice to see Airbnb here Hackettstown, I've used the services before myself and have had great experiences .

outsider outsider
Aug '16

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.