Dog got skunked! Advice?

Roxi just made a friend. Any thoughts on cleaning?

I should add , I'm using peroxide, baking soda and a little dish soap.
She still stinks like hell! LOL

Sorry to hear it Greg. Daisy got skunked several years back and it was a nightmare. We tried the internet advised remedies, but Skunk-Off was the only thing that worked. Good luck!

Calico696 Calico696
Aug '16

Dawn dish soap. It helps remove the skunk spray oils. Lather, rinse, repeat!

Stored
Aug '16

Tomatoe juice is the best. We had to do on a few occasion with our dog!

Dadof3
Aug '16

Tomato juice. One of my horses tried to make a new friend. The feeling was not mutual.....

red76nj red76nj
Aug '16

Tomato juice and lemon juice and then contact a mobile groomer or a groomer they may have different shampoo or product to help get the smell out. Good luck.

Greg, Dadof3 and Mish - Add celery salt, fresh lime zest, horseradish, tobasco, and you'll have a nice bloody mary. It will work for your dog and help you not smell the skunk while washing away the stink. lol ;-)

DannyC DannyC
Aug '16

Most dogs get hit right in the face, so whatever you use, especially hydrogen peroxide, avoid the eyes.

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Aug '16

BTW, no need for any liquor, for the dog or for you, so I guess this should be called a virgin mary, but still, so tasty.

DannyC DannyC
Aug '16

Apple cider vinegar !!! This is absolutely the best and safe for your pet!! I'm a hunter happens alot with the dogs tomato juice dosent cut it!! Not white vinegar! apple cider works great! Good luck!

Penny Penny
Aug '16

Re: Dog got skunked! Advice?

Good luck!!! I hope any of the remedies help.

If you do tomato juice, be prepared for it looking like a blood bath. Did it once and it was a mess. Try apple cider vinegar first.

Hopeful Hopeful
Aug '16

Skunk out. Not that expensive, easy to use.

Be prepared. Even if you do a perfect, beyond perfect job, the next time the pup gets wets, guess what you will be reminded of... Can never do all areas perfectly like the eyes and such. So comes back in the rain.

strangerdanger strangerdanger
Aug '16

Only absolute skunk stench removal ~ Nature's Miracle ~ the one for skunk.

Tickner's should have it. Works! That's all I can say!

Nature's Miracle is right --- Might be NM-skunk order remover (current name), skunk off or skunk out.... $5 Amazon.

strangerdanger strangerdanger
Aug '16

Thanks everyone. I'm off to Tickner's to get me some Miracle!! LOL.

BTW Roxi has been searching the property all day for her new "friend". Frisbee be damned, she wants another go it seems. Funny stuff.

Oh I feel so sorry for you Greg! This happened to our Jazzy a few years back and it was awful. We ended up having a groomer take care of it and it took 2 times for it to be tolerable.

Roxi stay away! If you need a friend Rocko will come and play with you.

Christine Christine
Aug '16

My ex called one night & asked if she could bring over our dog who'd been skunked. We tried tomato juice, but it was not very effective. "Nature's Miracle Skunk Oder Remover" worked well, so I stockpiled an extra bottle just in case of an emergency.

Buy an extra one to have on hand "for next time", because there will likely be a "next time".

Phil D. Phil D.
Aug '16

Hey Greg ~ just wondered how the Nature's Miracle worked for you?

I hope well!!

Apple cider vinegar, baking soda. Make a paste and work it in. Rinse out with dish soap. Repeat

justpassinthru
Aug '16

My alarm clock today:

Me: Dreaming.....

Wife: Help! Both dogs just got sprayed by a skunk! (very loud and in a panic)

Me: Well that's a real Howdy Do!

Dogs: But it looked like a Kitty to play with!

Dogs: What's that smell?

Me: (Googles “mobile groomer”)

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Feb '18

TWO dogs skunked? I think that's right up there with divorce and job loss on the list of life stressors.

You could probably start a GoFundMe.

Rebecka Rebecka
Feb '18

Me: [snicker, snicker, snicker]

Sugar Sugar
Feb '18

The key I read is to use put the peroxide/baking soda/dish soap mixture on with NO WATER. Water re-activates the oils, so you want to use it before wetting the dog. Work it in as much as possible, before rinsing. We've had to re-apply multiple times, but the trick the first time is to not wet the dog first.

VGAVGA
Feb '18

Dare we ask how things turned out? (Are the dogs sleeping in the basement tonight?)

Rebecka Rebecka
Feb '18

After two lengthy baths each with De-Skunk, the smell has diminished. Luckily they both have very short coats, Both dogs did seem a little less enthusiastic today however. As seen in the photo....
With the warm temps today at least they were outside a bunch and we could also air the house out a bit.

The smell was so strong in the area this morning that a neighbor two doors away thought a skunk got into their garage. Our next door neighbor could smell it inside their home as well. Pretty amazing stuff a cute little critter can produce! LOL.

As an aside,the chihuahua as well as the cat took a similar approach as Sugar with looks of "ha- ha" in their eyes today! LOL

They DO look like they are sorry for trying to play with the potential friend who turned out to be a real stinker! Aww.

And yes, the smell that skunks can produce is crazy. A friend accidentally hit a live skunk while driving her new car once. I rode in the car 3 months later - you could still smell the odor, in spite of repeat details and car washes. Crazy. She actually ended up selling the car a few months later - she just couldn't take it any more!

Rebecka Rebecka
Feb '18

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.