Problem Contractor

Hey folks, any suggestions for dealing with a contractor who has not completed work? Unfortunately he was paid in full and continues to fail to show up when he has committed (weeks/months of excuses). Permit is still unconfirmed but major work is done.

Never pay in full! You.should pay in phases.as the.work is completed

Deviljet
Aug '16

Yeah but they did. Time to make some calls to the town about not letting said contractor pull any more permits in town.

CraftBeerBob CraftBeerBob
Aug '16

Report to the New Jersey Division of Consumer Affairs and Better Business Bureau. Better yet, see if there are complaints lodged against them.

First, if possible, send a certified letter to the contractor, given a final request for completion of the work. That way, he can't say he didn't know. And when government agencies ask (as they will) what steps you have taken to resolve the matter on your own, you can give them a copy of the letter and the certified mailing confirmation. If possible, call them and record the call, and ask them to complete the work--NJ is a single-party recording state, and you can use the recording as legal evidence.

As for the next step, I agree with Bob. Contact the town's building office. It's likely they will contact the contractor with a warning, and that may be enough motivation.

JerseyWolf JerseyWolf
Aug '16

FYI for those that haven't dealt with the BBB, it's useless. They have a good name from a different era. Today they are pay for play, as a business I can buy into a membership that guarantees me an A+ rating so long as I just reply to complaints. It has not had any value in many years.

Today for contractors I would think something like Angie's list would hold more weight than BBB.

I understand the certified letter bit, but to me that's a last resort kind of move. I'd be afraid that would be a guarantee of stoppage and would only do that after the decision to go to small claims court is made.

It's been months. He's not coming back. Do let the town construction permit official know. Then let the court deal with it. If convicted, his name will be in the newspaper. Also, post his name here, facebook, angies list. People can suck. Let him know there are consequences. Good luck.

maja2 maja2
Aug '16

Money is gone. work is not going to get completed. Only thing you can do is try to ruin his name.

not sack
Aug '16

HI can you message the name of the contractor? I am getting ready to do a big
job, total gut job. I am looking for good contractor but also want to know who not to use. Thanks.

Pearl Pearl
Sep '17

be careful putting out accusations against someone.....this is New Jersey, everyone want s to sue for a free ride..

Steven Steven
Sep '17

Find out where he lives and put a lien on his home- have your Attorney send a certified letter stating such.
You lost your leverage by paying in full.

Stymie Stymie
Sep '17

I agree with sending a certified letter requesting him to complete his work. But I would also text him with the same letter. My sister went through a similar experience and sent a certified letter which was signed for, then the contractor lied and said there was no letter in the "empty" envelope when my sister took him to court. You can't dispute a text, assuming you have his cell phone number. Texting is the new paper trail.

Parental Unit Parental Unit
Sep '17

Hopefully the OP resolved their issue.. Thread is from last August..

JrzyGirl88 JrzyGirl88
Sep '17

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.