Andover Property Tax Assessor lowers hers while increase others

http://www.nj.com/sussex-county/index.ssf/2016/08/activist_may_pursue_tax_appeal_of_assessors_proper.html#incart_most_shared-sussex-county

This must be a new low on NJ's corrupt municipal/township officials - Not only do they relentlessly work around the 2% Property Tax cap, but also poach more (pay less in taxes) like their 6digit salaries are not enough, with secure jobs [they can't be fired or voted out by the community] and get free benefits [health/dental/etc.] on the taxpayers bill.

I'm very happy a fellow citizen took the long length to take a stand against those corrupt officials. Let's stand behind Jesse Wolosky and look for other Property Tax shenanigans & hooligans in our own backyard.

That looks like much more than 3300 square feet to me.

maja2 maja2
Aug '16

Penny isn't the assessor for Fredon, which is where her house is.

justsayin'
Aug '16

Does this surprise you? Don't you understand yet that government is BETTER than us? They don't have to answer to the same laws or standards the rest of us do, what's the matter with you? Get with the program!

JeffersonRepub JeffersonRepub
Aug '16

If you look at her assessment records they haven't changed in at least 4 years. No one lowered them. This is probably more of an issue about keeping assessments up-to-date than it is about being corrupt.

justsayin'
Aug '16

Fredon's assessments were redone in 2012. That's not that long ago that's it's so far out of date. And while that house sure looks big and might be worth a bit more now than 2012, why isn't this so called activist questioning the neighbor's assessment? The house next door is almost as big although no big pool, but has 30 acres compared to six. (both non-farm land) Yet the neighbors pay less tax - why? Either way the tax payers would be better off going after the bigger difference in value.

Lots of factors are involved in determining value; maybe the majority of the neighbor's property is wetlands.

justsayin'
Aug '16

GC,
Do you know that they are not?

The Man The Man
Aug '16

The Man - Who do you mean by "they" and not what?

justsayin' - True. How do you know that lady's land isn't on a sink hole? It's the over all point of why bring any suit at all? It's not about saving tax payers, or the assessment. It's like JR's knee jerk reaction that there must be something completely wrong for no other reason then they are an assessor somewhere else. We just have to expend the time and effort to figure out what they're guilty of because it's a forgone conclusion. My point was to treat everyone fairly. If you're going to question one, question them all. That does not seem to be the case here.

GC - Agreed.

This seems like a malicious lawsuit that's just a waste of time for everyone. Someone's upset because they need pay more taxes so they're making a big fuss. If Penny assessed his property AND her property, maybe there could be an argument; since she has no authority over property taxes in her municipality I don't understand why this is even a discussion.

justsayin'
Aug '16

knee-jerk reaction to govt being corrupt..lol...good one. Next time it rains, I'll try not to have a knee-jerk reaction when the outside gets WET. lol

JeffersonRepub JeffersonRepub
Aug '16

"The Man - Who do you mean by "they" and not what?"

I'm sorry you didn't understand.

The Man The Man
Aug '16

Here's the story on how it all started.

http://www.njherald.com/article/20160503/ARTICLE/305039976

M & K M & K
Aug '16

Assessor, Lawyers, Appraisers, Tax Board - all in the same bed having a jolly time making sure values are tweeked enough to fill each townships piggybank. The system is broken and I don't think anyone can fix it.

way-nerr
Aug '16

Wolosky wants revenge and that's all.

Christine Christine
Aug '16

Completely disagree Christine - Is that all it is-Revenge?...You seem to dismiss WITH A PURPOSE, FOR ALL to try/to do something to stop/put in the spotlight the quid pro quo between the Assessor, Municipals, Tax Board, undervalue/undertax Town Fat-Cats who sit at their posh positions costing & robbing all "We, the people's" hard earned money, who have nothing (no vote or choice) to do but be led like sheep into their slaughter town-houses.
With all their double-digit% increases on our Property Taxes of the recent years (or decade), do you see all the new developments, improvements, shops/stores, higher education/educational programs, and increases in our home's values that supports all those extra $$$, has been invested into?
At the least, Wolosky did something all of us just dream, talk(don't do the walk), grunt, complain, or blindly say "Well, that's life for ya" - too much for us to do about it.
Thanks for summing up the whole new subject raised ....wants revenge and that's all.

LLC - I'm having an issue with your stance that public workers are giving themselves a tax break, where is the evidence for this?

justsayin'
Aug '16

Oh justsayin' - there's no need to repeat you're "This seems like a malicious lawsuit that's just a waste of time for everyone" or further paraphrase that 6 word summary of Wolosky's case "...wants revenge and that's all". However, to get and understand your side, let's all believe there's no quid pro quo: politicians and public workers/officials don't get any fringe benefits, breaks or tax treatment - We're all living in a fair-n-square world - Thanks, blog/discussion closed.
Nonetheless, further information may or can be provided by following how his court case proceeds and/or via http://www.nj.com http://www.njherald.com. - Rgds

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.