Chase Bank - Possible skimmer

I just wanted to warn people about a possible skimmer on the ATM at the Chase Bank on Mountain Avenue. I just called the bank and informed them, but they didn't seem overly concerned.

My husband and I tried to use the ATM on Saturday and there was something definitely off about the card reader. We were unable to get the system to proceed. I think another car in front of us had a similar problem because we saw him putting his card in and out and left without conducting any transactions.

Yesterday we were notified by Chase of fraudulent charges on my husband's debit card made at Walmart.com. The only time he used the card was at the ATM on Saturday. We don't use the card for purchases at all.

Tracy Tracy
Aug '16

Tracy,

Are you aware that Chase changed their ATM and now you must leave your card in place until the transaction is completed so that the ATM may access the chip?

You no longer insert and immediately remove your card.

JerryG JerryG
Aug '16

Yes, I am aware. My husband's card does not have a chip yet.

My card does have a chip, and I used it on Sunday and was able to conduct my transaction without leaving my card in the machine either.

Tracy Tracy
Aug '16

That ATM has been VERY- and I mean VERY- slow- for months now. IDK why it works so slowly, but I have used it many times over the last several months, with no issues. And I always "inspect" it to see if there's anything that look "off"- like a skimmer. That ATM is just the slowest I've ever encountered, anywhere.

JeffersonRepub JeffersonRepub
Aug '16

oh- fwiw....

Skimmers need not be on the machine. My wife had her debit information skimmed by someone sitting in a car "waiting to use the ATM"... They had JUST used the ATM, then my wife used it, and they continued to sit there, even after she left. So there's something else that can be going on as well- not just a physical skimmer mounted on the ATM.

"how do we know it was them?", well, we have no proof, but like you- we figured out when she had used it recently and deduced they were the likely culprits, googled proximity skimming (RFID skimming), and learned of it's existence.

Aug '16

Interesting, Jefferson Repub. It certainly is possible. We know for certain that was the only place he used the card.

Tracy Tracy
Aug '16

Every time I go to that ATM it never works for me. I don't know what's wrong with that machine.

lizzy16
Aug '16

I've had to ask for refunds for the 'non Chase ATM fee' 4 times this summer. If the Chase ATM is down I go to Quick Check since that machine has no fee. But Chase still charges the $2 because I am taking out my own money.

Thinking of just moving to a different bank.

hktownie hktownie
Aug '16

lizzy and hktownie, have either of you gone into the bank and told them the ATM was frequently out of service?

Tracy Tracy
Aug '16

hi Tracy. Hope you enjoyed your vacation!

Yes I ask the tellers about it each time I go in to request the fee refund. They tell me the technician has been there constantly trying to fix the machine. Then they shrug, it's not in their power to improve the situation I guess.

I saw him there one weekend working on it (unless that was someone adding a skimmer!) They need a new machine I think, but keep trying to repair the old one.

hktownie hktownie
Aug '16

" They tell me the technician has been there constantly trying to fix the machine. Then they shrug, it's not in their power to improve the situation I guess. "

My experiences mirror yours.

Aug '16

hktownie, it must have been good, since I don't remember taking a vacation recently.

I felt like I got the same lackadaisical attitude when I called and alerted them too. I'm surprised because when we opened our account with that bank, we always got very attentive, friendly service. They would even call on the phone after to make sure we were satisfied. I rarely conduct any business inside the bank, nowadays though. I wonder why they won't just replace the ATM. Didn't they need to update it anyway to accommodate the new chip technology?

Tracy Tracy
Aug '16

Sorry Tracy, I thought you were going to St John New Brunswick recently. Did I see that on the Verizon thread? We just got back from PEI, that $2/day Canada plan was great!

Yes, I think the retrofitted the machine for the chip cards, and it should just be replaced.

hktownie hktownie
Aug '16

Yes, good memory, but we're not going until October. Looking forward to it!

Tracy Tracy
Aug '16

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.