Street paving and closings in town

Dear Hackettstown, why not close down all the streets in town so you cant go no where and keep waiting till the last minute to pave side streets and then close the under pass to shop rite. I dont know about you but this is such a stressful issue to all residents and a nusense. Such traffic issues. You should start and finish one project at a time, no multiples all at one. Im sure theres now more accidents in town then ever because of all the backed up trafic due to all the closings of many steeets in town. Please plan your road work in a better manner.

Danielle Eskow Danielle Eskow
Aug '16

Was just talking about this yesterday. Trying to get from one end of town to the other was crazy!!

Sunshine Sunshine
Aug '16

I made the mistake of going to Hackettstown yesterday, I live in Columbia....it was a horrible mess! Took me an almost an hour to get out

I agree. While we are in dire need of paving, the brilliant plan of closing down many streets today was a mistake.

Sonja Gaertner Sonja Gaertner
Aug '16

Mad dash to finish before school starts....pick your poison...roads closed now...or roads closed during school year. Traffic bad enough without buses on the road.

CraftBeerBob CraftBeerBob
Aug '16

DPW's phone is (908) 852-2320.

Just in case anyone wanted to mention it someone who could address the issue.

Just be lucky that these roads are getting paved. Everyone was aware of the traffic nightmare it was gonna cause so what's the point of complaining about it on a forum? If they paved during the school year then it would cause more problems. Plan accordingly for the road construction and there's other roads you can travel on that can take you where you need to go . I think the Dpw is doing an amazing job getting our roads paved and milled. Tilcon is a good company and they know what they are doing.

Grateful16 Grateful16
Aug '16

The point is they don't have to close all the roads at the same time. I remember going through this once when it was memorial weekend. Years ago but I thought the same thing like why all the points of entry / exit? Very frustrating.

They're working on the road by my place. It was either drive over the milled area or go off-roading.

Metsman Metsman
Aug '16

Go have some ice cream.

CraftBeerBob CraftBeerBob
Aug '16

Machine broke go have a beer

Machine *didn't* break go have a beer. ;-)

[brought to you by Calico Inc, and the brewers if Hackettstown]

Do they notify the people in the homes, on the roads that they are paving? Just curious because they tend to start before I leave for work and I'd much rather leave for work early then have issues getting out of the driveway.

Sunshine Sunshine
Aug '16

Sunshine - They notify everyone in the world. There are signs up about the railroad bridge, there are Nixle alerts, the alerts go up on the PD web page, the town web page, and individual neighborhoods get additional messages.

Sunshine- I got a note on my mailbox stating the days the road I live on will be closed and that I needed to have my vehicle out of my driveway by 6:30am both days if I needed to use it and to go park on another road.

Stored
Aug '16

I'm over in Greenview, and I did not get any sort of notification from my leasing office or the town about the roads...

Heather1 Heather1
Aug '16

You just have to bear with it, it goes quick! Grand Avenue is reopened, that was the major cause of todays gridlock

Deviljet
Aug '16

I'm glad to see the roads repaved. So many of them surely needed it. The work was planned for quite some time and as GC pointed out, a lot of information was passed along regarding the closures. Oddly enough the minor hassle if you can even call it that doesn't bother me in the slightest and believe me certain inconveniences really grind my gears! LOL

Particularly in the case of Grand Ave, an alternating traffic situation was probably warranted, that road is too busy for a complete closure.

Route 46
Aug '16

Is the culvert closed yet? They said it would be closed on or around the week of the 22nd.???

Mansfield mama Mansfield mama
Aug '16

Thank you for the info. Glad they send a letter.

Sunshine Sunshine
Aug '16

It's not like it was a major inconvenience for everyone. It's like nobody knows another way around town. Tilcon and the town know what they are doing. It's hard to plan construction work when there's only a few roads that are major arteries that residents rely on .

Grateful16 Grateful16
Aug '16

I live on Grand Ave. It was closed most of the day, our cars parked resolutely in the driveway while I worked from the attic all day. Never got a notice, but not a big deal. the biggest annoyance was last night coming home at 9PM and encountering a 3 inch "curb" to get into the driveway.

The road was reopened by rush hour.

Agust Agust
Aug '16

Stop whining!

You KNOW the roads need to be fixed. You WANT the roads fixed. If the roads AREN'T fixed, then you're only going to whine about that.

You don't want to pay any more taxes than you already do. Therefore, you want the roads fixed in the most cost-efficient manner possible. Logically, that likely means paving several roads at once.

Yes, it's an inconvenience. So is getting the oil in your car changed and painting your house and getting your teeth cleaned. But if you don't deal with those minor inconveniences, you're going to have to deal with greater inconveniences.

And if you're actually clever enough to really figure out a better way to do things, then present your detailed plan to the town council, before you start whining.

No wonder this country is spinning down the toilet.

JerseyWolf JerseyWolf
Aug '16

Jersey wolf

You are correct..why should the serfs have a say in how things are done.The high nobility who arranges these things have no need to listen to the unwashed masses. We should be thankful that we such people with such high intellect to make decisions on how to completely clog traffic. And then make nasty comments when people complain..we only pay taxes that are your salary

Bug3
Aug '16

Would be interested in knowing along with Mansfield mama if the culvert area is closed yet? (Today is Wednesday, the 24th)..

Joyful Joyful
Aug '16

The OP stated that the "underpass" was closed yesterday. I presume that you're both talking about the same railroad crossing.

ianimal ianimal
Aug '16

I went through the underpass last night. It is paved.

Metsman Metsman
Aug '16

Amen Danielle. No one is saying the streets don't need to be paved. Just not so many streets on the same days.

HL, the place where people can no longer express their ideas/concerns without being made fun of, called names, or blamed for sinking the country.

Darrin Darrin
Aug '16

Thank you, Metsman. I meant to say underpass (not culvert) My husband calls it the area with the "culvert", however. I understood that this area (the underpass) was supposed to be closed for a few days but looks like they got the job done quickly...

Joyful Joyful
Aug '16

I know right Darrin? Lol! I love paved roads just not all on the same day. That doesn't seem unreasonable to me. But hey I just pay the high property taxes and I suppose that's all I'm entitled to do. Uh, wait I said entitled, that sounds selfish doesn't it? He he. I know! I am forced to pay, yeah no entitlement here, I was forced I tell ya.

Thanks DPW ,job well done by this contractor in good time !!
As for the "culvert", all you motor mouths had a chance decades ago to avert a problem!
Allen Road could have easily been brought over to an end of Stiger St if pursued,thereby creating a bypass which all trucking and emergency could navigate,plus relieve local traffic on Grand Ave.
When brought to Mayor/Council- ?-EXCUSES about wet lands and the state.
So,end result same as ages old story about 46/57 bypass of Mountain Ave.,we in H-town put up with the mess and pay the bills!!
As long as politicians pursue their agendas without FORESIGHT ,(think BERGEN)
it will be more of the same.

Geedo Geedo
Aug '16

At first I was confused because I was going to post the underpass/culvert was open yesterday when I went thru. I thought everyone was talking about something else but I was correct. It was open. I was around town on Tuesday also and in no way did it take an hour to get thru town like Joy states! A little over dramatic. Most roads are done. The culvert had to be closed down. That is common sense look at it!!

iChristine iChristine
Aug '16

"HL, the place where people can no longer express their ideas/concerns without being made fun of, called names, or blamed for sinking the country"

voicing concerns after the fact is completely useless. The time to express your thoughts to the DPW or town on how/when they should pave the roads is at the Town Council meeting when they are being discussed. whining on HL when the job is being done is pointless.

darwin darwin
Aug '16

I am really unhappy with the color of the roads! What were they thinking?! And, there weren't any refreshments or cupcakes handed out to me when I was stuck in traffic!

I smell litigation here ;)

The Rhyme Animal The Rhyme Animal
Aug '16

Darwin, it raises awareness to those who do attend meetings, or maybe some of those people such as the mayor or council members read this yet do not post. Ranting about the same thing over and over, yes I agree with you, but this is obviously a new poster who has only post one comment..... how about nicely giving advice instead of immediately stone walling the person?

Darrin Darrin
Aug '16

Does anyone know if the funds for the paving is state money?

Did we get lucky and get the last of it before Christie shut it down?

So Rhyme Animal what you are saying is that Black Roads matter?

Yeah I know its a horrible pun and I'm a terrible human being. Get over it.

Agust Agust
Aug '16

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.