Moving of the entrance to the Football field

Did anyone go to the Board of Education meeting? Apparently there is talk that people want the entrance to the football field to be moved. I guess the traffic is getting out of hand because there are a lot more events since the turf field. Which it should be that way. Football either has 4 or 5 home games on a Friday night and JV and Freshmen are the same.

just saying just saying
Aug '16

this was copy & pasted from the Hackettstown School District website:

HHS Athletics Headlines

Important Morrison Field/ Warren Street Information

The Town of Hackettstown in the past has received several complaints from residents regarding the parking/dropping off of athletes on Warren Street. The Town, in an attempt to alleviate the problem, has painted areas where parking is not allowed. The Hackettstown Police Department will begin enforcing these no parking areas. The following are a few of the complaints that we have received:

1. Parents dropping children off legally then making illegal turns in the streets.
2. Parents parking/stopping in the no parking area to pick up their children in front of the business to the left of the entrance.
3. People blocking the driveways of the residents.
4. People throwing their trash on the ground.

If possible we ask that all athletes park in the student parking lot and walk to their practice. However there will be no issues with cars that are parked legally on Warren Street.

Thank you for your anticipated cooperation,

Sgt. Darren Tynan
Traffic Sergeant
Bobby Grauso
Director of Athletics
Hackettstown HS.

tigerforever
Aug '16

Thank you for letting me know this. I was just wondering why now this is a big deal. But I do understand that with the turf field it's suppose to be an all purpose field. I get it.

just saying just saying
Aug '16

It does get very congested with football, cheerleading, soccer, baseball and the pool.

Hot corner Hot corner
Aug '16

This came up a couple years ago. Someone suggested to the board about moving the entrance on the side by the pool fields. Force people to park in the HS then walk along the fence line pass the baseball field in the corner.

The problem was they would have to put a sidewalk along the fence and light it. So basically you would move everyone from walking in the front of the homes to making them walk along their backyard fence line. So cars on water st might lighten up but noise and light in the backyard would get worse.

Darwin Darwin
Aug '16

About 4 years ago, at least 40 residents brought a petition to the Board of Education to have the entrance moved. Although the school and town have tried to alleviate the noise, traffic, and parking problems, they have only increased as the use of the field has increased. The gate/entrance was built over 30 years ago to accommodate 3-4 home football games on a dirt field on Saturday afternoons. The impact to the neighborhood was minimal. Since the lights, sound system, and turf were installed, the field use has risen to over 60+ events during the fall season, as it should, embracing HHS girls' and boys' soccer as well as field hockey The TSA (Tiger Sports Association) uses that field for its 3rd-8th graders to play over a dozen games a season on the weekends, more than the HS. They pay no fee to the school (while charging each player and cheerleader to participate) yet use the field, concession stand, lights, sound system, and require a security guard on duty. Last year they held a two-day tournament in November which included at least a dozen games in which not a single high school player or even a single Hackettstown player stepped on the HHS field. Your taxes hosted a Morris County elementary football tournament and the neighborhood was greatly impacted. All of these events mean there has been a 1200% increase in use while there has been no change to the entrance. There is no place in town that has that size venue or services more community members without so much as a crosswalk at the gate. If this was a business, an impact study would have been made and lights and parking required. The result is people parking wherever they can, as close as they can not just on Warren Street but spilling onto Washington, Madison, Center, Monroe and surrounding streets as well as the private property of Community Collision and the First Presbyterian Church. The high school parking lots often have may empty spaces during events. It is human nature to try to be closest to an entrance. The high school athletes themselves have been seen leaving the student parking lots to juggle for a parking place closer to the gate. Moving the main entrance gate to a position across from the parking lots to the back of the home bleachers makes sense for so many reasons. The residents there would much rather have people walking along a fence behind their homes instead of using parking spaces in front of their homes and bringing noise and garbage to their front lawns. There are already lights on that back field, which is town owned, because there already exists a football field and baseball field that people have been walking to and using at night for years with no path. If a walkway is needed for safety, why hasn't there been one there for the athletes, parents, and spectators who have been using it for years? We, the collective neighborhood, not just Warren Street residents, are hoping that the town and school can work together for the safety of pedestrians and vehicles by making a community campus, encouraging athletes, parents, and spectators to park in lots closer to the new entrance and by getting people off the street in the middle of a small road ill-equipped to deal with the volume of people who use and enjoy that venue. It will save the town the headache and cost of extra officers needed to direct traffic, curb unsafe j-walking as there are no crosswalks from Madison Street to the end of the street, and having to enforce the temporary no parking signs that are put up for a few events. It will give the school the opportunity to showcase the field with a new, improved gate/entrance while keeping their students and athletes safer by keeping them off the street. The cost could be shared by both the school and town. The beautiful, new tennis courts are proof that when there is collaboration, improvements can be made quickly and inexpensively. It's a win/win/win for the neighborhood, town, and school.

concerned parent
Aug '16

we have a nice facility

we have parking plenty big enough

so the only problem appears how to get people from the parking lot into the facility.

i'm thinking a tunnel.

ScottB ScottB
Aug '16

+10000 concerned parent. The sporting events on Warren Street have greatly increased over the years yet the road cannot handle all the new traffic. I am all for a new entrance to The Turf Field, so everyone is forced to use the parking lots. The current situation is an accident waiting to happen sadly.
Also I question why rec sports no longer use Alumni Field?
And can I add the corner of Warren Street exiting the High School really needs a yield sign to prevent people continually going around that bend at high speed. This is also an accident waiting to happen especially with all "The New" traffic coming around that corner!
ScottB you obviously don't live on the streets Concerned parent posted about, so you chose to make the whole thing a joke. Our concerns are the safety of the kids. Prior to making puns may I suggest you view these roads during the fall months? You maybe quite surprised of the dangers. Never judge unless you witness it daily!

Realist1 Realist1
Aug '16

Realist1, my children are soccer players and involved in rec programs so I know nothing about the youth football programs but it is my understanding, through neighbors with kids in that program, that the TSA is a member of the Morris County Youth Football League and is in no way associated with Hackettstown Recreation, Independence Recreation, or Allamuchy Recreation. Therefore they can charge participants between $85-$135 depending on where they live. They are their own entity and have been allowed to use the Hackettstown High School Morrison Field at no cost so they do. Why not use a beautiful, well-cared for facility when you can for free at the tax payers expense
? No need to use Alumni Field!

concerned parent
Aug '16

Let me help with some facts about the TSA. There are 6 levels of teams plus 2-3 flag levels. Alumni field is used every Saturday for games for most of those teams. The problem with Alumni is the rec added a cricket pitch in the middle of the field to accommodate that sport but makes it less than desirable for football. There is just not enough field space in town to accommodate all the teams. It would be great if we had a large park like Turkey Brook or like in Randolph for rec sports but instead of buying land our town allows lots like Bergen tool and Bilby to build apartments

As for the lights at the pool fields, they only cover the baseball field area. The grass closest to the parking lot is pitch black even when the baseball field lights are on

As for no walkway now it's a mess. Can't tell you how many times I've seen people walking across the grass to get to the field get completely lost including tonight trying to get to a scrimmage on the HS field. Also pushing a stroller is tough through the grass.

Darwin Darwin
Aug '16

Where did TSA come into this mix? It isn't TSA creating the problem. It's the town refusing to see there is a problem.
Darwin there are lights in the field behind the pool. That is where TSA pee wee's play their games in the fall! I refuse to get involved in this dilemma any longer for my kids are older. I am just going to tell you firsthand from someone that witnesses the dangers everyday on Warren Street there is a huge problem n it needs to be fixed ASAP. Again! It is an accident waiting to happen.

Realist1 Realist1
Aug '16

This Is a Joke! Let the Hackettstown Student Athletes, Students, Parents and Fans Live and Enjoy the Experience. Stop complaining and be POSITIVE!

LittleRascal LittleRascal
Aug '16

Realist as a parent of a kid that uses that pool field I can tell you yes there are lights on that field BUT they do not light up the whole grass from the parking lot to the baseball field. The lights only cover the upper portion. Once you get to the lower level it is pitch black.

Darwin Darwin
Aug '16

The current lights would not be enough to light up the entire walk from the parking lots to the "new" entrance.

And I am all for a walkway along the fence with lampposts to properly guide the visitors to the field.

Darwin Darwin
Aug '16

The TSA gets funds from the Hackettstown rec to offset the cost to in town players and cheerleaders. That is why players and cheerleaders from out of town pay more money.

This past year the Hackettstown Rec Baseball joined the Mount Olive Cal Ripken and the parents there were so upset when they found out how much Hackettstown Players were paying to play compared to them.

Not only do Mount Olive players have to pay more to Play Cal Ripken Ball but they also have to play travel baseball too. Hackettstown doesn't require that.

On a side note, Mike Palko and his guys do a great job with all of the fields, pools and playgrounds.
I don't know how many people know it or not but all of the new exercise equipment placed at River's Edge park and over by the pavilion was purchased and installed at no extra cost to the residences.

FranksNBeans
Aug '16

LittleRascal you seem to be missing the point. NO ONE is complaining about the students, athletes, parents and fans. The purpose of moving the entrance gate is to make it easier, safer, and more enjoyable to get to experience those events while minimizing the impact on the residents who would also like to enjoy their property. They were living there before any fields existed and have paid high taxes to do so. They should not be expected or told to "move if you don't like it" (its been done) in addition to losing property value when there is an opportunity by the school and town to provide a simple solution for everything. Every who has commented so far has been positive and in favor of making a safer, well lit pathway which would not only benefit a future entrance to Morrison Field but also help with the current uses. Mike Palko and his crew do a phenomenal job keeping town rec fields and areas in amazing shape and the town can be proud of our facilities. Lets hope the pool field will be the next positive project!

concerned parent
Aug '16

The first thing they could do is just make parking on 1 side of Warren. Right now with cars parked on both sides the road is narrow and you have kids darting out between cars from all directions.

That is an easy step one to the problem.

darwin darwin
Aug '16

+1 for Mike Palko, the rec. dept. does an amazing job in this town.

ScottB ScottB
Aug '16

They have tried that darwin but it just pushes people to adjoining streets like Madison, Washington and Plane. It also prohibits residents from parking in front of their own homes if they have several family members with several vehicles. For the most part, there are empty spaces in the HS parking lots because people do not want to walk the distance to the gate if they can get closer. By moving it to the town property and making a pathway with lights, it would certainly create a safer way for your family and others to attend the games on the pool field. A win for everyone!

concerned parent
Aug '16

concerned parent
If TSA made everyone park at the high school would you be satisfied then.
Oh by the way TSA pays for security not the tax payer.

townieforever
Aug '16

Many people don't park at the HS because it takes forever to get out of the HS after an event. Personally, I wonder how the school ever got a certificate of occupancy without having another road to exit the school. I guess things were done differently back when the school was built. For me, the best solution would be to move the entrance. Open up a back road out of the school and make Warren St a one way street. Can't see this happening in my lifetime.

Nancy Nancy
Aug '16

I think Warren St as a one way would open up a completely different set of problems. It's not just a street the school is on, there are all the houses too. That seems to be the real problem - residential impacted by the school. Clearly the town knows or they wouldn't have posted the original note, as well as anyone at council meetings has been through the complaints for years. It's not an easy solution, which is why I agree the school, rec, and residents all need to meet and try to hash it all out.

Do all the people living in homes on Warren St. really believe adding more lights, a walkway and having hundreds of people walking adjacent to their back yards at various times throughout the year to be a good idea. Just curious.

manchild manchild
Aug '16

Concerned parent, just for clarification, I believe only two current homeowners lived there when the field was built. The old saying goes, don't buy a house by a train station if you don't like trains.

Nancy, just curious, where would the back road behind the school go to? The fish hatchery?

adel, the field was there for Saturday afternoon games only when most residents moved there. The turf, lights, and sound system are relatively new which have made a 1200% increase in activities on that field. All but about 3 residents have lived there before these additions. They bought their houses near a wagon stop which was turned into a train station. Now the property values have plummeted and several people have tried to sell but no one wants to buy and live by a stadium. Almost every resident on the street went to a council meeting two years ago and asked for relief. A petition of 40+ residential signatures was submitted to the superintendent 4 years ago. It is the town and school that need to agree to the entrance. man child, the residents at the far end of the street would much rather have people walking behind a fence bordering their properties than walking in front of it. At least they have a backyard to separate them rather than have people walking, talking, smoking and leaving trash in their front yards. There is already a fence separating them in the back. They should not have to build fences in front of their homes to protect their privacy and property. Unfortunately, with hundreds of people walking that way, you will always have those who are disrespectful of others. A new walkway, gate/entrance NOT in the middle of a small, residential street would be a good solution with a positive outcome for all. townie forever, the Board of Education commented at an open meeting that the TSA does not pay for the use of the field, lights, sound system, or concession stand. The tax payers do even when there are no Hackettstown teams or players on the field as was the case in last year's tournament.

concerned parent
Aug '16

After looking carefully at a number of maps of Hackettstown, the best possible idea would be to buy out the last lot on Reese at the intersection with Fifth Avenue when and if it comes on the market and make a continance of Fifth the second approach into the school. That's the most logical idea. The bad points are obviously that the residents of Fith would have more school bus traffic than they already have with the school just off Fifth and you'd either have to wait until the owner had the property up for sale or make them a very worthwhile offer that would compensate them for that valuable asset, as in current value and enough to cover moving costs, etc. that would entice them to hand the property over.

A road extension would create a direct route from that side of town, preferably with traffic-calming features to deter speeding there. It would help take school buses and other congestion off the many small streets that intersect with Warren. I would have suggested a road just skirting that property that would be just inside the Fish Hatchery area, would would help calm traffic by the bit of a jog needed there, but as you can see on this map link, that all looks to be "protected" area:

http://www.highlands.state.nj.us/njhighlands/warren_county/hackettstown/6a_Hackettstown_Highlands_Land_Use_Ordinance_Exhibits_Aug2011_Optimized.pdf

This would be akin to what Mount Olive High School when it created a secondary entrance. Traffic during major events would be much more easily handled with someone directing traffic off Grand onto Fifth and vice versa. Obviously it would impact the homes along Fifth at times, just at it currently does during the Spring Festival, though I'm sure to a much lesser degree than that event. The path in and out of the school would be much more direct and during events Reese could be closed to outgoing traffic to preclude people from causing more cross traffic by trying to exit through Reese and branch out, locking up intersections all over.

The approaches from either Shelley or Arthur Terrace are problematic and still don't address a direct route in and out so as to lessen people's frustration and amount of time "locking up" the town with traffic, whereas my suggestion I feel would be the easiest to implement and control, etc.

Phil D. Phil D.
Aug '16

Very valid points @concerned - the use of the field including band practices that now go until 10 pm with full use of sound systems and lights is definitely new and problematic. As you said many of the residents surrounding the entire field were there before they added these "features" and some even before the field was built. Sometimes it just seems as if the town approves everything with very little concern for the repercussions to those living in an impacted area.

Adel the homeowners on Warren Street biggest concern is the safety of the kids.
You have to live here too understand the current safety issues. We are all for the activities that take place here. Read GC's, Darwin and Concerned Parents posts. Then perhaps you will understand the current situation.
Also the turf field was only put in around 6 years ago which has drastically increased the traffic on Warren Street. When I moved here all rec football practices and games took place at Alumni Field. Still don't understand why the town no longer uses those facilities for it has ample parking n the grounds are beautiful. Now they cram all fall sports on the turf n all the fields surrounding Warren Street. You have HS football (Freshman, JV, Varsity) Recreational football all levels, High School Cheerleading, Recreational cheerleading all levels, High School Soccer (Freshman, JV, Varsity) Recreational soccer, Field Hockey and now lacrosse. Plus Centenary College uses the turf as well. All happening at the same time. Warren Street n bordering streets were not originally constructed to handle all this current "new" traffic"!
Btw! I have lived here for 20 years.
Fall sports is the biggest problem. And yes I am a huge advocate for youth and high school sports.

Realist1 Realist1
Aug '16

Bonv very good points. Thank you. Whereas I do enjoy the band the new sound system is a disturbance. They start at 7am and extremely loud these days plus they practice again at 5pm. Their notes are repetitive which I fully understand for they need to learn the music, but can't they either turn down the new sound system or move their practices behind the High School? Along with the recreational cheerleaders who start at 4:30 and end at 7:30pm. There is plenty of space behind the high school that can be used and they could be as loud as they want too be.

Realist1 Realist1
Aug '16

The only TSA levels that play on the turf are 6th, 7th and 8th grade. Games are in that order and they have 4 or 5 home games. Flag plays games on the pool field along with 3rd graders and 4th and 5th grade play on alumni field on Saturday mornings.

go tigers go tigers
Aug '16

There are only 4 home varsity football games this year, and they are addressing the warren street parking, so no big deal. Four nights spread over 2 months
Soccer, fields hockey and TSA do not draw anything near the crowd that you get for a Friday night football game. The lights have been there for probably 20 years now, it's not as if they just started having night.events! It's not broke, so don't fix.it!

Deviljet
Aug '16

Ok! Whatever! Bringing these issues up on HL is worthless and a waste of my time.

Realist1 Realist1
Aug '16

Deviljet, Realist1 is correct. Those lights have not been there 20 years and neither have the turf or sound system. The whole point is, it IS broke and needs to be fixed. No one is complaining about the events (except the 5:30 AM Centenary lacrosse practice), just the safety of pedestrians and traffic that has increased drastically. The HHS soccer and field hockey teams have made and won the state championships enough times that they do and should get more spectators every year. Their night games create the same safety concerns as football. Check the HS athletic website to see that over 60 events (including TSA games) are held on that field in the fall alone, not just Friday night football games. Not one comment has been to stop these events, just move the entrance to make it safer all around. It would hurt or disturb no one. Hang in there Realist1, you have a lot of good points and support from people who look at the big picture logically. More people would understand if they applied the old indian saying "you never really know a man until you walk a mile in his shoes". People will never really know the concerns of your neighborhood until they have lived there for a fall season.

concerned parent
Aug '16

go tigers, 4-5 TSA home games x 3 teams (grade levels) =12-15 more games on that field on weekends by an organization we have been told by the Board of Ed. itself is not paying for its use. I personally would rather see my taxes go towards a new, safer entrance than to subsidize a Morris County Youth Football League. I'm not against TSA but think it has a financial responsibility to pay to play. No neighborhood in town should have to deal with these issues 7 days a week. Im sure Realist1 and his/her neighbors would not wish this on you or anyone else. If you don't think its a problem, I'm sure you could find a few people on the street who would be more than willing to sell you their home.

concerned parent
Aug '16

I Dont get your problem with TSA. It's a in town youth program. Made up of hackettstown boys and some
sending district Kids. So how are they different than if your kids Rec soccer team used the field?? Other than the tournament it's no different than rec.

Would you want the rec team to pay to play? We all play taxes in town

Darwin Darwin
Aug '16

Ever since they put in the turf my backyard and basement get flooded. Have I be etched? No! I just deal with it. Yes! It has drastically lowered the value of my home along with the "all the new traffic"! I tried to sell my home, but had no luck for prospective buyers don't want to engage in this mess! You are more than welcome to buy my home! Yes I enjoy the athletics taking place, but I truly don't appreciate how it lowered the price of my home and also I am getting tired of picking up garbage from my lawn that spectators leave behind!

But I am telling all you young parents there is definitely a safety issue these days on Warren Street. Do I have a solution? Yes! But I will bring it up to the town and not on HL for honestly I have no time for the attacks that happen on HL.

Realist1 Realist1
Aug '16

Realist1

Feel free to offer the suggestion I mentioned above too as another alternative, that is if you aren't already thinking the same way I was.

Phil D. Phil D.
Aug '16

The marching band does not start until 8 am and that is a few days out of the year during band camp. They will be done on Friday. And I dont know what sound system you're talking about, but the band isn't amplified and can't be turned down, that's the sound of the marching band. Their late night practices are scheduled to be over at 8:30 pm, maybe 9 if they go over a little. Never ten pm.

Njchia Njchia
Aug '16

Njchia is living in an alternate universe...

Heidi Heidi
Aug '16

While I agree that down there is an accident waiting to happen. Especially young kids running in between the cars and into the street. I also agree that perhaps another gate should be available such as when the kids graduate they walk through another gate behind the home bleachers. Have that open and perhaps a path made. Yes, it is human nature to try and get as close as possible. If it is purely for safety then I'm all for it. I get that years ago only football was played there. I have been in this town for well over 30 years. I for one am glad to see that Hackettstown does have a turf field and is made for all sports to play on. And the new sound system is awesome for the band. I get its noisy but because of this the HHS band has won a lot of awards and has put Hackettstown on the map for good things! All of us who have grown up here know how other towns considered us the country bumpkins. We should all be proud that we have such a beautiful facility for our kids to play on. With all that said. I totally agree another gate somewhere closer to the HS would be perfect for safety reasons. Not to get rid of the one on Warren just have another one. We are not the only town that has parking all over go to a Dover game and tell me where you are parking. While the noise will continue unfortunately for those that live there. But doesnt It put a smile on your face knowing kids are enjoying themselves and have something to do on a positive side. Think about it

Htownlifer Htownlifer
Aug '16

Njchia - I'd suggest you stop by the field area and listen to the band practices. They are very much amplified through the sound system and have often ran close to 10 pm. I have experienced this first hand.

My son is in the band. I'm there all the time. I can assure you that unless it's a football game they are done before ten. And they are loud. But there are no microphones or speakers amplifying their sound.

Njchia Njchia
Aug '16

One or more of my kids have been in the marching band for the past 8 years. The only amplifier they have ever used is one speaker for the electronic keyboard or sampler, so maybe that is what you are referring to. Also, the director uses a microphone to talk to the band during band camp and some practices.

You may also be hearing the metronome during band camp, which is loud enough so the band can hear it over their instruments.

This week is band camp, so you would be hearing the band this week much more frequently then subsequent weeks.They aren't there past 6 or 8 PM this week, and during the season, their practices never go past 9 PM. It is possible a football game may have gone on to 10 PM in the past, but not a band practice.

Since I leave near the field I can tell you that there has been a band practice that over the last 2 years has gone very late (close to 10pm) and they use the speakers. Not sure who it is practicing but it happens several times during the fall. Sounds like I will go find out who it is this year and record the disruption.

My son has been in the marching band for 3 years now. 1 week per year is band camp which starts at 8 and ends at 5. Are they loud? Yes. Is it amplified? NO. It may sound like it to you but go to their practices and you will see and hear for yourself. As for 10 pm? Only when and if there was a home game which they have every right to be there just like the other athletes. If you guys ever went to a home game you would hear how loud the parents are SCREAMING at the players because of some silly game that the marching band isn't even as loud as some of them.

Before you know it, the season is over so to complain about kids doing something positive with their lives instead of hanging out on the street smoking dope like some who I see as I'm walking to a game I say KEEP PLAYING KIDS! LOUDER! WE CAN'T HEAR YOU!

countryside
Aug '16

How about people look to see where they are buying homes and how recreation fields might impact their parking, peace, and quiet. Seems kind of like buying a house next to a highway and then complaining that there's a highway in your backyard. The football field has been there for eons.

Eperot Eperot
Aug '16

@Eperot as noted above many people were there before the "upgrades" to the field including stadium lighting and sound system. Personally we owned our house before the field was ever built decades ago but it's not the field as much as it as the upgrades and increased traffic that are making the situation more difficult for those living near it. But as the comments prove as long as you're not the one impacted no big deal.

Definitely move the entrance to the football field and track. Open the track up(people only entrances like Millburn[prevents strollers] or just plain open like Blair Academy) to the public as well to promote community and get people back on their feet (yes there are rules). And don't even start with the liability hogwash. In addition lets have some logical (working) crosswalks in this town that work(try and cross 46 at the intersection of High Street). I guess if someone gets hit it's their fault? Taking it a little bit further since I am not a regular "poster" how about some bike lanes in this town so kids can ride their bikes to school. The daily line-up on Washington St and Warren Street is a pathetic picture. Pretty easy to do.

PS I love the sound of band practice, always signifies the beginning of the school year!

jmo517 jmo517
Aug '16

It's a real shame we have such obnoxious people like countryside who don't give a damn about anybody. That's a perfect example of what is wrong with this country - PLAY LOUDER! BE MORE OBNOXIOUS! WHO CARES ABOUT ANYBODY BUT MY OWN KID! Obviously one of those helicopter mom's who's kids are perfect.

"Don't worry little Johnny, do whatever you want and the hell with anybody's feelings..."

That came out LOUD and CLEAR. Nice person.

Heidi Heidi
Aug '16

For those of you complaining about these disturbances, what did the coaches say? Or what did the band director say when you reached out to him/her? I'm sure as a concerned citizen, you would have attempted some dialogue, no?

goTIGERS goTIGERS
Aug '16

It's a shame how we have some people like Heidi who can't understand sarcasm and who can be the only one giving their opinion. Such a shame.

countryside
Aug '16

Did Heidi just go after a Marching Band Mom? That's harsh man.

strangerdanger strangerdanger
Aug '16

I think htownlifer hit the nail on the head. PErfectly said! Yes something needs to be done for safety reasons, however it is very nice that we do have an all purpose field. and that it does keep kids busy on a positive level. Lord knows there's not much for them to do in this town. And for those who live around there, I'm not sure if we have a noise curfew here in town. But if they did I'm sure its not till after 10.

just saying just saying
Aug '16

Honestly the noise rarely bothers me. My biggest concern is all the new traffic on the street and the safety issues.
Perhaps start Permit Parking from August 1 through November 15(Fall Season seems to be the biggest issue) and make a good portion of Warren and bordering streets permit parking only (just like they did on many streets by The College). Give each house 1 or 2 parking permits and leave some spots open on the street for handicap parking. Seriously the walk from The High School parking lot to the turf and bordering fields isn't that far of a walk. Also put a Yield sign at the corner of Warren coming out the HS to prevent people from speeding around that corner. JMHO. FWIW. Just a suggestion
And Htownlifer also has a great suggestion. Make a path to the other entrance to the turf. This way people can park in the back lots and not have that far to walk.

Realist1 Realist1
Aug '16

Also there's an error in the thread regarding the lights. Realist1 is incorrect. The lights have been there since at least 2000. That's 16 years.

goTIGERS goTIGERS
Aug '16

No goTigers there is no error. When I moved into this area 28 years ago(I bought my house 20 years ago) there were only lights at the pool softball field(trust me I know for I use to play ball under those lights) within the last 3 to 4 years they added more lights to that field, so the TSA football peewee league can host games there at night. Also the pool within the last year added even more lights.
The lights, sounds do not bother me(unless it is 7am, I didn't sleep all night and I am cranky, but that is solely my problem. Lol!) I bought my house here on purpose for I thoroughly enjoy athletics. I am a born and raised city girl.
Again my only issue is the new traffic coming onto this road , the extreme safety issues plus how the traffic devalued the price of my home along with my neighbors.
Actually goTigers I am going to age myself. The lights at the pool field were there in 1991(for I played ball under those lights) and the lights at that field could have been there even years earlier (I have no idea), but the addition of new lights on that field and at the pool only took place within the last 4 years.

Realist1 Realist1
Aug '16

Realiist1

There were no new lights ever added to the pool field.

There were light fixtures replaced on existing poles inside the pool to illuminate the water during the summer. This is per insurance requirements. They are turned off the day after the pool gets covered for the winter.

What I'm reading here is calling for more lights behind the homes for a new entrance to the hs football field?

Bad idea for sure.

Also... people will have a fight with the state if grass is paved on a Green Acres facility. Walkways do not conserve Land or Water.

caseoftheslowz
Aug '16

Without giving it too much consideration, a walkway through the pool fields seems to be a great idea. Considering how drainage was already handled for the turf field, a much larger area, I would think dealing with runoff from a sidewalk would be trivial. Residents already deal with field lights, so I can't imagine new ones would be too much of a burden.

But are the benefits worth the changes?

justintime justintime
Aug '16

Here's an idea. Attach a zip line to the roof of the HS to the roof of the clubhouse. Everyone can just coast over the pool and field and into the football complex. LOL

Metsman Metsman
Aug '16

Metsman, that would be awesome. I'm not sure the HS is tall enough. Maybe a giant sling shot could be installed?

ScottB ScottB
Aug '16

Wow! It's difficult to believe that people make such ignorant, insensitive comments to a situation that has the potential to have a tragic outcome. I wonder how ScottB and Metsman would feel if it was their child who was hit while darting out between parked cars on Warren Street (we saw 4 kids do it in 15 minutes) while crossing the street to get to their parents' parked cars, or if they were the ones who were unable to stop and hit a child or if they were hit by one of the many cars who do illegal u-turns on the narrow street. Wouldn't that be an awesome scene to watch from their zip line? The people who live there see these potential hazards every day and are trying to seek a plan to avoid such as disaster. There really is no reason NOT to move the entrance to make a safe way for athletes and spectators to move directly from parking lots to the field. Caseoftheslowz and justintime, the town is suggesting the walkway for safety reasons. The residents have not requested any walkway but would rather not have a cement or macadam walkway that would impact not only their properties but the environment in general. Using granite dust as they did for the path through the woods at Riverfront Park addresses the Green Acres regulations by allowing any water to permeate the soil, thus protecting both soil and water. It has been used successfully by the town already. There is no need for large, glaring pole lamps either. There could be lamp posts illuminating the path much like the ones on Main Street which could be turned on and off with a switch making them energy efficient. There is a HHS alumnus who presented a plan to the Board of Education to raise funds to replace the 30+ year old chain link entrance with a newer, more attractive wrought iron gate with pillars. If his plan was coordinated with a new, safer, pleasing and environmentally friendly walkway, the school and community would end up with an attractive, inviting entrance to an already awesome, versatile venue/field. Lets hope the school and and community realize the value of their investment and work together to make it a reality.

concerned parent
Aug '16

Morrison Field has been there for 30 plus years with the same 2 entrances ( Bells Lane side also ). I do not recall any accidents or pedestrian tragedies. I would leave the situation the way it is with support from security and police dept for public safety. They are doing a great job

Besides there already is a path from the high school parking lot to Morrison Field. It is between the Pool Complex and the apartments on the Bells Lane entrance. Why not use that pathway??

Aug '16

LittleRascal, As stated several times, 30 years ago, the entrance was used on Saturday afternoons for 3-4 home games. It is now used for 60+ contests, not including daily practices for at least 5 different sports. If you drove a Volkswagen Bug, then had a family of 4 kids, would you try to cram them into the same Bug as you and your spouse? Time to change with the 1200% increase in use of that gate! The scheduling must be a logistical nightmare, as there is not a day that it's not being used. The police and security, while they do a great job, are only present for home football games, while the other events leave people to fend for themselves without even a crosswalk at the gate entrance. The town would have to hire another officer to cover all events AND practices which are often even more dangerous as there are no regulations at those times. Unfortunately, it is common to see parents of TSA kids parked illegally in no parking areas waiting for their young ones to finish practice and run to their cars across the streets. While most parents are responsible, it only takes one to cause tragedy. The news is full of them and people bemoaning how it didn't need to happen. A few people do park in the upper/back lots to use the Bells Lane entrance. At a large event last week, one neighbor from a side street counted over 100 empty spaces in the lots closest to Warren Street while cars were parked in front of his house on Madison. If there was an added gate BEHIND the homes, people would park in the lots closest to that gate., not on Madison, Monroe, Center, and Washington. Having no parking on Warren pushes people to those streets and just moves the problems someplace else. Take a ride down the street during peak times to see that we wish to prevent an accident from happening, not wait for the inevitable to happen.

concerned parent
Aug '16

Give it up Concerned Parent. Obviously the younger generation doesn't care about the safety of "their kids", but if their kids gets hit by a car they will be the first ones to sue!

Realist1 Realist1
Aug '16

"Concerned Parent" you have a lot to say on this issue YET you don't have the character to sign your own name. Therefore, you lose total credibility and your argument holds no water. If you're going to take this stand have the character to step out and show yourself.

Assalt on the TSA is ridiculous! The notion that only TSA families park illegally is ridiculous ... I'm a TSA parent and been to too many games to count and I've witnessed no craziness and total organization. These hard working volunteer parents of very dedicated young people who practice hard deserve the right to play on our town fields including Morrison Field.

Someone mentioned either at the BOE meeting in August or in these threads about TSA $$$ for the school district. This is also ridiculous theses are our own kids, and yes maybe the school isn't getting alot of money for use of the field AND they shouldn't, leave the $$$ with TSA so the kids have the best equipment possible to play safe.

The TSA does a fabulous job supporting not only football but also cheer in this town and they should have equal access to our wonderful Morrison Field!

As far as I'm concerned you are losing your argument. At first it was the PA system was too loud, then it's the traffic, then it's the parking,. then it's the trash in yards or their are too many TSA games and use is up 1200%. I'm thrilled use is up 1200% this means all our wonderful kids get to access our gorgeous field in town.

I say "no" to moving the gates. The town along with the BOE needs to come up with a plan to control the traffic and set in place a safety plan.

As for TSA keep plugging away, don't get discouraged. Keep up the great work. My daughter loves cheering in your organization and at Morrison Field!

I will sign my name

Marty Yudichak '85 HHS

Marty Yudichak Marty Yudichak
Sep '16

I think Marty had a few too many yesterday morning, lol!

What a babyish, self-centered, helicopter parent rant! Hahahahaha, too freaking funny!

Hey Marty - head's up, there are other kids in this town besides your little "cheerleader" that just maybe, you should give a crap about.

I guess his daughter going "Rah, rah rah" is more important than the health and safety of others and the residents of Warren Street. Daughter is probably just as self-centered -- learned from the best!

Heidi Heidi
Sep '16

Heidi

Attacking and making fun of a little girl is pathetic!!! You are pathetic!!

Bah Humbug !!! Heidi Scrooge !!! Ridiculous !!

Sep '16

I think younger kids should look forward to playing on the high school field when they get there! We never played on the high school field as the midget program. Back then midget teams played on the legion field.

Sport
Sep '16

Heidi must have been you having a few too many.

Metsman Metsman
Sep '16

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.