Fire Dept. Barrel Fights/Pig Roasts/Fundraisers

I've never seen this talked about on here. Anybody ever go to one? They are tons of fun. Hampton is having one this Saturday 8/13 and Oxford is having one on 8/27.

We are going to try to make it to the Hampton one, but have other stuff going on that day, so will have to play it by ear. We will definitely be at the Oxford one.

Calico696 Calico696
Aug '16

Pig roasts are gross. I used to work for one of the main purveyors of pig roasts in the area, and had to step over six baby pigs on the floor, twelve blue open eyes, to the walk-in fridge. Then after three days, they finally prepped the pigs, stuffing them with their own innards, which had been rotting for three days on the floor. You really want to eat this?.

DannyC DannyC
Aug '16

LOL Danny. I don't even eat pork. I BMOTS (bring my own turkey sandwich). I like to watch the barrel fights. Most like the pig roast too though. I've found that people really enjoy all you can eat type events. Most of the time it's $10 or so for food and beer.

BTW, my husband is a former chef and butcher, who catered pig roasts years ago as well. So I'm very familiar with the meat processing deal.

Calico696 Calico696
Aug '16

Hmm, maybe instead of stepping over the pigs for 3 days you could have taken care of the health code violations or notified someone else of the issue... just saying.

"You" were just as much a part of the problem as "they" were...

Mark Mc. Mark Mc.
Aug '16

Calico696 - I trust that your husband exercised more sanitary measures in his butchering and cooking. Where I worked, some people stepped on the pigs...is this tenderizing?

Mark Mc. - Didn't want to get fired. Blame me if you will for that.

DannyC DannyC
Aug '16

So minimum wage was worth getting a few (or a lot) of people potentially very sick.

Got it.

Did you give them the sympathy that you demand of everyone else here for your health problems? Perhaps you should post the name of said purveyor so people know which one to avoid...

Mark Mc. Mark Mc.
Aug '16

Is "Barrel Fights/Pig Roasts" a different name for a wet down?

I have been to a handful of wetdowns and they are such a great time, especially if you go with friends. I would love a thread on them, because then I would know where they are, as I always have a hard time finding them, and end up missing out on a lot of them.

Darrin Darrin
Aug '16

seriously, they only asked if there were anymore barrel fights or pig roasts to go too and if anyone has been to either. Totally did not ask for a lecture about how pig roasts are done.

Stored
Aug '16

Mark Mc. - The purveyor cooks pigs long enough to kill any bugs that may have grown in the three days of rotting on the floor, so I do not feel responsible for any one's health, and I am not the least bit interested in getting into a legal battle with a former employer and local businessman. Back off. I am just saying that eating a pig roast is gross. Try BMOTS (bring my own turkey sandwich).

DannyC DannyC
Aug '16

1000000+ DannyC

happiest girl
Aug '16

"The purveyor cooks pigs long enough to kill any bugs."

Not all... Botulism roast, anyone?

http://www.livestrong.com/article/550357-what-happens-if-you-cook-meat-after-it-has-gone-bad/

"Two bacteria, Bacillus and Clostridium, bear spores. Intense heat deactivates them, but they produce spores that resist freezing and cooking. These spores result in illness. Clostridium spores produce botulism, a major cause of food disease.

Cooking spoiled meat to a high temperature kills some bacteria, but can leave toxins behind. The remaining toxins cause food-borne illnesses, and cooking does not destroy them. Staphylococcus bacteria die from cooking, but produce heat-resistant toxins that cause nausea and diarrhea."

Mark Mc. Mark Mc.
Aug '16

Mark Mc. - So don't eat pig at pig roasts. Simple enough for you?

DannyC DannyC
Aug '16

1000000+ DannyC.

happiest girl
Aug '16

Sorry I like ham and bacon, I just prefer they not be rotten first.

Mark Mc. Mark Mc.
Aug '16

+10000000 Mark Mc

Calico I hope you have a great time.

positive positive
Aug '16

what is 10000000+?

at least positive got it right!

back to the topic at hand!

Is "Barrel Fights/Pig Roasts" a different name for a wet down?

Darrin Darrin
Aug '16

So now we have the pig roast bashing? SMH. This is a great way to support your local firehouse in a fundraiser. I hope the naysayer's houses never catch on fire.

Darrin - Not so much different than a wet down. Pay $10 and eat and drink all night.

Calico696 Calico696
Aug '16

How does the barrel fight portion work

skippy skippy
Aug '16

Re: Fire Dept. Barrel Fights/Pig Roasts/Fundraisers

Andover Boro Fire Dept on 206 is having a 90th year anniversary. Pig roast, Bobby Clark (awesome band) fire works, tournaments. Will be a great evening.

skippy - An empty barrel is suspended on a wire and the wire attached to poles on each end. Different fire departments enter their teams (male and female). Each takes an end near a pole. They then point their fire hose at the barrel and try to push it to the opposite end. It's like a tug of war, with water and a barrel instead of hands and a rope.

Calico696 Calico696
Aug '16

OMG! I MUST go!!!!

Darrin Darrin
Aug '16

Calico, I am LOL-ing at myself because I thought the barrel fight was just two guys wearing barrels with shoulder straps, trying to knock each other down! :)

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Aug '16

That sounds like fun, Calico. I was wondering what the barrel thing was. Somebody beat me to it. Thanks for the info, might try the Oxford one. I've never been to one of these events.

sparksjbc1964 sparksjbc1964
Aug '16

OMG LMAO 3wb! Now I'm picturing to druken Germans in lederhosen with barrels on.

To be honest, I never knew what it was until I moved to Oxford. The Oxford ladies team has been undefeated for years and years. They are quite amazing.

Darrin and sparks - Come on out! Eat, drink, be merry and maybe even get a little bit wet!

Calico696 Calico696
Aug '16

Wow this into bashing thread quick! FYI anyone who actually know Calico696, would know she would NEVER ever anything that has four legs!

Mommyof3 Mommyof3
Aug '16

This about says it all.

The_Bishop The_Bishop
Aug '16

Roast pig, Beer? We are in!!!

iChristine iChristine
Aug '16

Oh that's awesome

skippy skippy
Aug '16

It's not Fire Dept related, but for those that do like pig roasts (they sure don't have to be gross), there's also the one for Fallen Rider on Aug 28 at the Legion.

I don't know that I would go so far as to say a barrel fight competition is the same as a wet down of a new engine. Both may have the camaraderie between departments, but I think that's about it. But by any means support your department how ever you can.

Anyone going to the one in Hampton tomorrow night?

Calico696 Calico696
Aug '16

The dump I used to work for is now advertising pig roasts at $25.95 per person. How could any first responders make a profit from that? Think about the great BBQ that could be bought for less than half that price. Support our firemen...save the pigs

DannyC DannyC
Aug '16

DannyC, you do realize that a quick search (and any local knowledge) provides the name of the establishment that you used to work for?
Remember...the internet is a wealth of information and you never know who is reading it.

Seenit
Aug '16

Seenit - Never said the name of the dump. Inference is yours alone. You could be wrong.

DannyC DannyC
Aug '16

You do realise that other places may actually handle the food properly, and employees may actually report to the proper people if food is handled improperly right?

Just because the company you worked for did not do the right thing, and the employees working there did not do the right thing, does not mean they are all like that.

Darrin Darrin
Aug '16

Wow, some people are such downers....

positive positive
Aug '16

Mark Mc. and Darrin - Maybe you should talk with someone who was forced to work at minimum wage in the food services industry. In the places I worked, ""you will be fired" was the intimidation of the day, and every day. Agreed, after a while it does produce gutless employees who do not "do the right thing", because they are so desperate to protect their miserable jobs in a ridiculously lousy job market.

DannyC DannyC
Aug '16

"Maybe you should talk with someone who was forced to work at minimum wage"

Everything you do in life is a choice, they were not forced to work at minimum wage.

The Man The Man
Aug '16

The Man - Got alternatives? Sure would like to know. Not working at all is not an acceptable "choice".

DannyC DannyC
Aug '16

So correct me if I am wrong, but there are laws protecting workers for "doing the right thing" and, if you were to report the employer, and they were to fire you, I am sure these laws would lead you right to unemployment payments and/or big fines for your employer. Unemployment would help pay the bills while you found a job that you could work at and not have to feel guilty about feeding people possibly bad food.

Darrin Darrin
Aug '16

Darrin - I know of no such rights or unemployment benefits. Please document and elaborate if you can. Thanks.

DannyC DannyC
Aug '16

Some basic info:

http://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/wrongfully-terminated-due-retaliation-whistleblowing-new-jersey.html

I searched "in new jersey are you protected if you report your employer for misconduct"

It seems the word for this is whistle blowing, so you may be able to find more using that.

I would think if your employer fired you because of this you would have a very strong case for unemployment rights, as long as your employer doesn't have a list of beef with you (no pun intended)

Secondly, there are further options suchs a laywer routes, but initial research shows that it's a tough case to win for the same reason as above.

Now that you do not work there anymore (so I gather) there is nothing stopping you from putting in a anonymous call to health services.

http://www.nj.gov/health/foodanddrugsafety/contact.shtml

You can file your complaint in two ways:

For complaints regarding restaurants, grocery stores or other retail establishments, contact your local health department. (link provided on website above)

For other complaints, please call us directly at (609) 826-4935 between 8:30 AM and 4:30 PM.

Darrin Darrin
Aug '16

And here is your local health department search link:

http://www.nj.gov/health/lh/directory/lhdselectcounty.shtml

Darrin Darrin
Aug '16

Don't feed the trolls

4catmom 4catmom
Aug '16

Darrin - Thanks for the info. I have never been a whistle blower before, but dislike being held responsible for a former employer's threatening other people's health. Nothing in this for me, as the events happened last year, and now have a new job. But this one also has problems, like maggots crawling out of broken marble used for pizza prep. Need a decent restaurant to work at where sanitation matters. Will PM you with the names of the culprits.

4catmom - I don't know exactly what "don't feed the trolls" means, but troll this.

DannyC DannyC
Aug '16

Yeah whatever back on topic. I have helped put together many pig roasts over the years, Love them. There's nothing like a fresh ham sammich.
I have found It's always a good time at a fire department event with the added bonus of supporting the department and meeting many of the folks who volunteer their time for all of us.

Very true Greg. The volunteer services (EMS and Fire) tend to get overlooked until needed. All should try to support these hardworking individuals in any way they can.

Calico696 Calico696
Aug '16

If these alleged statements regarding food safety matters are true about the local establishments where a previous poster has worked, I think that person would have a moral obligation to at least report it anonymously to Board of Health. The number is
(908) 475-7960.

Being in a messy end of the food business, I know from personal experience that bleach, soap and water are cheap compared to getting someone sick and there is no excuse to not follow proper sanitation procedures.

On the flip side, pig roasts done properly with quality products are fantastic. Of course you can always supplement the pig by roasting some extra pork butts on the spit or in a pig roasting box (caja china). These have become very popular in the last few years for backyard parties.

I hope the Fire Departments do well at their events! These are always a fun time and a great way to support them!

JrzyGirl88 JrzyGirl88
Aug '16

JrzyGirl88 - I hope everyone has a good time as well. Just so grossed out from prior experiences that I don't know when I will ever eat pork again. Sticking with chicken.

DannyC DannyC
Aug '16

We weren't able to make it to Hampton last night. Just not enough hours in the day to get everything done yesterday. Did anyone go? Oxford won the ladies trophy, as usual. Those ladies are kick *ss! LOL

We will definitely be at the Oxford one in two weeks. Hope to see some of you there!

Calico696 Calico696
Aug '16

Sorry not to get off topic, but maggots in the kitchen where you work Danny? That's very alarming and I hope you report it ASAP.

Rather than just send Darrin a PM of the "culprits" I'd suggest giving all of us a heads up.. since according to what you've posted it is a very very serious health risk.

positive positive
Aug '16

positive - I quit this place as well, and reported the health issues to the authorities. Just don't think this forum is the place for negative exposure of any local business, although there has been much already, mostly about the owner's obnoxious attitude toward his customers. Imagine what it was to his employees. Back to good BBQ and fun outings for the benefit of first responders.

DannyC DannyC
Aug '16

" and now have a new job. But this one also has problems" posted 1 day ago

" I quit this place as well, and reported the health issues to the authorities\' posted 6 mins ago

So Dannyc you quit your new job within one day?
Don't bring up these issues and then be candid about possible health issues that could hurt people, if what you're saying is true.

kepa
Aug '16

Exactly kepa, my post had the same questions, but you beat me to it so I deleted it.

So Danny, we're you able to find a new job right away or did you leave yourself jobless because you have so much integrity?

positive positive
Aug '16

what twisted webs we weave

4catmom 4catmom
Aug '16

Yes only to deceive....

positive positive
Aug '16

Wow Danny...I'm sorry to say but you sound like a person that is ALWAYS the victim.

I worked at the new place for four months. What is wrong with you people? Constant false accusations of deception. Nasty! Not bringing up a serious issue again for you jerks to parse, twist and rewrite for your own sick satisfaction.

DannyC DannyC
Aug '16

JRT he is, I think he suffers from a condition called victimitis. He deserves much empathy and sympathy. Stay strong Danny.....

positive positive
Aug '16

sitting on my hands - sitting on my hands sitting on my hands sitting.......

4catmom 4catmom
Aug '16

positive - No, just sick of your abuse every time I post anything on this forum based upon genuine personal experiences that might be helpful to others, or just express an opinion. Not worth it any more. Good bye and good luck.

DannyC DannyC
Aug '16

You might want to try being truthful for a change and you just might get different responses. We're all not stupid...

Try honesty..you may actually like it.

positive positive
Aug '16

positive - Stop calling me a liar! You are extremely stupid for continuing to do this.

DannyC DannyC
Aug '16

we're all on to you Danny - your stories never add up - and each post contradicts another - so if it makes you feel good, keep telling tall tales - or do what you said you were doing and stop posting and move to some place that makes you feel better..........after all these are both things you said you would be doing.

4catmom 4catmom
Aug '16

4catmom - Piling on for no good reason except the personal gratification at bashing someone, and I am "it" for now. But why don't you learn how to read posts without self-centered bias? I have no more words for you to twist and try to use against me, only bad words that I choose not to use. Good riddance. Find someone else to bash, and no doubt you will, vicious morons.

DannyC DannyC
Aug '16

Knock it off! You are all acting like children and I know you are all better than that.

This thread should actually be deleted or locked for the the behavior herein. But that would be a disservice to the first responders which it was started to help.

Please consider supporting your local volunteer fire department events in the future.

Here are the Oxford Ladies with their trophy from last night.

Calico696 Calico696
Aug '16

Kudos to the Oxford Lady Volunteers for their hard work and dedication. It shows in being able to bring home the trophy! Super job - congratulations to them!

Phil D. Phil D.
Aug '16

Calling someone out (the very person that cast their poison) and speaking the truth calls for a thread to be deleted?

How many times have you and Lori posted on threads that have gotten heated and off topic?

This is no different and I will not be restricted in what I can post according to someones liking.

Don't get me wrong, I understand that this is about supporting our firefighters, but you of all people should know how threads get off track.

positive positive
Aug '16

postive - I was referring to the name calling. Sorry if I wasn't clear.

Calico696 Calico696
Aug '16

The Oxford Barrel Fight is this Saturday! Anyone planning on going? It's $10 for all you can eat plus draft beer and soda. Should be a great time! We will be there!

Calico696 Calico696
Aug '16

Nope!
Not going.

happiest girl
Aug '16

Calico what time? Just found out getting company I may bring them too

Christine Christine
Aug '16

Christine - The event starts at 6:00 and the fights begin at 7:00. Hope to see you there.

Calico696 Calico696
Aug '16

I may try to make this one, but my schedule has been so freakin full! I will hit you up if I do calico!

Darrin Darrin
Aug '16

Ditto what Darrin said! Looks like fun! I'm still hopful that I'll get to see
some big guys wearing barrels with suspenders.

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Aug '16

Darrin - Hope to see you.

3wb - You never know what can happen when beer is involved. ;-)

Calico696 Calico696
Aug '16

When I heard Darrin talk about wet down, I was thinking Wet-Tshirt..

:)

LOL Josh.

Hope to see some HLers later. If you don't already know me, ask the indoor bartender to point me out. He's my other half.

Calico696 Calico696
Aug '16

Wish I could be there, since it sounds like lots of fun, but I need to head East to check on my Mom today. Family first you know.

Phil D. Phil D.
Aug '16

See ya later Calico....

Christine Christine
Aug '16

I am here now and can verify there are no pigs on the ground but, sadly, no men in lederhosen wearing barrels.
However, the barrel fights are fantasic to watch and the food is delish!
It was a pleasure to meet you and your hubby, calico. And as always, a great group of heroes to support. Thanks to our volunteer firefighters!

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Aug '16

We just got home. It was fun especially because I WON the 50/50!!

Beer was good, food was delish especially the pig and the firemen were great!

Christine Christine
Aug '16

Thanks for coming out! Great to see Christine and Bergey and to meet 3wb! It was a great night!

Calico696 Calico696
Aug '16

Christine, congrats on your win, maybe that can help pay for CVS's prescription prices...at least for the time being until we can all make the move to a pharmacy like skylands was.

I did not get home until 10pm, so unfortunately I missed this one :-(

Darrin Darrin
Aug '16

Oxford's barrel fight will be July 22nd this year. Pig roast, hot dogs, beer, soda, etc. $10. Starts at 6 pm.

Calico696 Calico696
Jun '17

The Hampton barrel fight is August 26th starting at 5 pm.

Calico696 Calico696
Jul '17

Is anybody planning on attending in Oxford tonight? I'll be there! My hubby will be the indoor bartender. A lot of food and drink for just $10! The fire dept. will also be selling tickets for their Harley Davidson raffle (September) for $20 each. Maximum of 3,000 tickets being sold.

Calico696 Calico696
Jul '17

Wish I could go, but have to head Eastward instead. Sounds like a great time!

Phil D. Phil D.
Jul '17

So fun to watch! We were there last year and really enjoyed it!

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Jul '17

Is anyone planning on going to the Schooley's Mountain Fire Wet Down this Saturday?

We are pleased to announce the members of Schooley's Mountain Fire Co.3 will be Celebrating 65 years of dedicated service to the community of Washington Township and the return of our newly refurbished QUINT 39.

Please join us Saturday August 5th 5 - 11pm at our firehouse to enjoy Live entertainment - Water fun - Pig Roast Competition - Beer tent and much more.

Does anyone have more any other info on this? Price? Food served other than the pig?

Calico696 Calico696
Aug '17

8/19 6-11 pm - Come join the members of the Tri-County Volunteer Fire Company for our Second Annual Pig Roast! Tickets are $35.00 per person. This includes all you can eat pig and sides, unlimited beer (21 & over) and birch beer as well as live music by local recording artist Bobby Clark. To order tickets call the firehouse at (908) 852-1310 or see a member. We look forward to seeing you at our event!

If I didn't have a party to go to this Saturday, I would definitely head here. Bobby Clark is a fantastic musician. It's great to get out and support local fire departments!

Calico696 Calico696
Aug '17

Saturday 9/30 - Harley Davidson raffle at Oxford Firehouse. The party starts at 2 pm. You can read the details here on the calendar.

Calico696 Calico696
Sep '17

4WD competition this weekend at Oxford Volunteer Fire Dept.

Calico696 Calico696
Apr '18

It’s a good thing they’re having a 4x4 comp this year because there will probably be snow. :-)

Consigliere
Apr '18

Blairstown Hose Co. Family Fun Day.....vendor fair and flea market. July 21st.

Calico696 Calico696
May '18

Mt. Lake's Annual Barrel Fight is tomorrow, June 1st at 7:00 pm

https://www.facebook.com/events/781307742067023/

Calico696 Calico696
May '18

The Oxford Volunteer Fire Department Barrel Fight is Saturday 7/28.

Come out and Enjoy a night of Fun
Registration will start at 6pm
Barrel fight will start at 7pm
$10.00 includes Food, Drinks and Music

Last year's winners
Men - Mt. Lake
Ladies- Belvidere
Juniors- Lopatcong

Calico696 Calico696
Jul '18

From Mountain Lakes 72 Fire's FB page:

Annual Barrel Fight is back! Friday June 7th at the firehouse. Get your team together and come out for a good time. Teams of 3 men or women must be member of Fire Department or Emergency Squad. Must follow all rules, including wearing helmet bunker coat gloves and appropriate footwear. Registration starts at 630pm, Fight will ensue shortly after. This event is open to the public and admission is FREE! Food and Drinks will be available for purchase!

Calico696 Calico696
Jun '19

Congrats to Blairstown Hose Company and Good Will Fire Company on their wins last night.

http://wrnjradio.com/news/2019/firefighters-compete-at-annual-barrel-fight-video-photos/

Calico696 Calico696
Jun '19

Hampton Fire chicken BBQ 7/20

Looking for something to do this Saturday?… Come on down to the HTF&R chicken barbecue for a yummy home-cooked chicken dinner and then head over to Hampton Park for a movie in the park!! It’s a family night out your not going to want to miss !
Please share with all your friends, tickets are still available at Hampton Town Hall!

Calico696 Calico696
Jul '19

Oxford Pig Roast and Barrel Fight 8/3

Come out and Enjoy a night of Fun watch the barrel fight and enjoy our pig roast

You don't know what a Barrel Fight is?
Best way to describe it, a team of 3 firefighters battle each other to push a barrel across a zipline with a fire hose

Registration will start at 6pm
Barrel fight will start at 7pm
$10.00 includes Food, Drinks and Music

Last years winners
Men - Mt. Lake

Calico696 Calico696
Jul '19

A fundraiser for the family of Wayne Vaccaro, tragically killed in a motorcycle accident last month, will be held on 8/10 at Oxford Fire Department.

Calico696 Calico696
Jul '19

Car, truck, bike and tractor show at Mt. Lake Fire tomorrow.

Calico696 Calico696
Jul '19

Washington Boro is having a coin drop this morning

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Jul '19

TRUCK SHOW AT THE OXFORD VOLUNTEER FIRE
DEPARTMENT

Sunday, August 18th
2PM-6PM

Pre-Registration
Before August 1st- $10
After August 1st - $15
Day of August 18th -$20

Cash bar
Sauced and Rubbed food truck
NJDRP BRINGING THE DYNO
Don Kincaid Music

Calico696 Calico696
Jul '19

Flyer for the truck show......

Calico696 Calico696
Jul '19

Article on Oxford's barrel fight.

https://www.lehighvalleylive.com/warren-county/2019/08/24-firefighter-teams-battle-in-annual-barrel-fights-competition-photos.html

Calico696 Calico696
Aug '19

Good Will Fire Company Wetdown welcoming Engine 21-61

Saturday 8/31 starting at 12:00 pm.

FREE frankfurters and buns, Corn on the cob for only $1. Beer Garden with wristband purchase. Music, dunk tank, games. & more. Selling 20.00 raffle tickets for a Leather Helmet only 250 tickets to be sold! Drawing held during fire prevention week Oct 7th. PLEASE NO STRAIGHT STREAM NOZZLES, NO FOAM, NO SOAP, NO FOOD COLORING. Participants MUST wear helmet, eye protection, gloves, & boots. Life preservers are optional but Sportsmanlike conduct is expected from participants. (Just like gym class but fun)

$1 for corn
$10 for wristbands for beverage garden
$20 for shirts all sizes
Bobby Clark will be playing live music for us!
Helmet raffle tickets are in $20 each

Calico696 Calico696
Aug '19

Pumpkin Drop Festival at Washington Borough Fire 10/27.

Calico696 Calico696
Sep '19

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.