New Leo's Boardwalk

I heard that someone took over Leo's Lunch. From what I hear, it's going to keep the name "Leo's" in the name and be something like "Leo's Boardwalk"? New owners, just keeping the name Leo's in there. Heard it will be a good quality burger joint with other boardwalk type fare like cheesesteaks, sausage and pepper sandwiches, etc. I love this idea! Anyone have any additional info they can share about it?

JB400 JB400
Aug '16

Sounds good. But the only way it will survive is pushing a bar business. The license is there.

I passed the old Leo's today and there was indeed a sign to the tune of Leo's Boardwalk? Anyone from the BID have details?

Mmmmm....Beeeer at Leo's Boardwalk, perhaps walked over from the fantastic craft breweries up the street...plus deep-fried hot dogs, cheese steaks, sausage and peppers, thick juicy burgers, curly fries...am I dreaming?

DannyC DannyC
Aug '16

The liquor license was sold to Mama's. No bar at the new Leo's

Darwin Darwin
Aug '16

Darwin - Too bad, but Leo's Boardwalk can still offer a great Jersey shore style menu without a bar, taking advantage of all the classic beers from uptown craft breweries within walking distance. Wish them the best.

DannyC DannyC
Aug '16

With that said. Is Mama's serving beer yet?

CraftBeerBob CraftBeerBob
Aug '16

Last I heard they are building a bar. Not sure if it's done

Darwin Darwin
Aug '16

Bar isn't done yet at Mamas. Soon though!

Christine Christine
Aug '16

Mama's is getting a bar?!?! That's pretty cool.....

Hey Mama's people: you should make sure you are as "attentive" to the gluten-intolerant people with your beer selection as you are with your food menu! (not for me, for a relative).... alot of places still don't have gluten-free beer for those who need it, and you are like the #1 place for that regarding your food menu....

JeffersonRepub JeffersonRepub
Aug '16

My sister talked to the lady named Angie who used to work there with Ann. It is opening at the end of this month as Leos boardwalk cafe.

Looking forward to the new place.

Mansfield mama Mansfield mama
Aug '16

Looking forward to beer and ice cream. Gluten whatever.

Aug '16

Bob - I've tried the beer float, unfortunately it tastes like crap.

Calico696 Calico696
Aug '16

Thx Calico. Did you try the vanilla and Guinness version? #bigfan

Aug '16

No I haven't. Did it years ago for the first time and can't remember what beer or ice cream flavor I used. Did it more recently on vacation in Jamaica. Red Stripe and soft chocolate and vanilla twist. Nasty Mon! Hahaha!

Calico696 Calico696
Aug '16

They are doing a ton of work inside and there is a patio out back that looks like they may be doing something with. I also heard it will be BYOB. Word is, it will be serving breakfast, lunch and dinner.

I really, really hope they have shore style lemonade!

Njchia Njchia
Aug '16

Yes. That would be great to drink. I made lemonade once from a recipe and it tasted just like the lemonade at the Kutztown Fair.

Aug '16

Boardwalk Cafe

"Leos All American Boardwalk Cafe" is coming soon to Main St. Hacketstown! A reasonably priced, casual, no nonsense experience in fast food at its finest. The Boardwalk Cafe will be open 7 days a week for breakfast, lunch and dinner. The food....FRESH! Fresh ground coffee, fresh ground beef (the good stuff) for your burgers, fresh fries...you get the point! Oh, and let's not forget....BYOB!

Your Chef...Ed "Eddie" Otero is a US Navy Veteran. He has worked as an HBO Executive Chef cooking for " The Sopranos" and " Sex in the City ", He has been a personal Chef to Whitney Houston and Bobby Brown, and has worked on various movie sets. He is seriously OCD about cleanliness and a complete "germophobe"! So, let's just say you need not worry about your dining environment! Ed has been in the area since 1990 and wants to give back to the community by offering great food, great environment and discounts for Those in Uniform all the time with proper ID as well as 100 % free coffee if on duty! Discount for our " Seniors " all the time. Oh...did I mention they'll deliver?

You've heard the saying "good food isn't fast and fast food isn't good" ...we at The Boardwalk Cafe would like to add..."UNTIL NOW"!
Ed's staff will have a " teamwork" attitude of "no table left behind" and will promise to want you coming back for more. Whether you "eat in" or " take out" We look forward to seeing you

boardwalkcafe boardwalkcafe
Aug '16

Can't wait!!

Booster90 Booster90
Aug '16

Boardwalkcafe,
Congrats! On your new business. I must say your post won me over and I can't wait to try it. Sounds fantastic! Definitely need a place just like this in town. What about hours? Many times it's tough for working people to get to some of the places in town if they close as early as 5 or 6. Good luck to you! See you soon :)

Thank you for your comments...we hope to see you! The hours will be 7 am to 10 pm. We are happy to answer ant questions and will keep you updated on openg dates and other info!

Aug '16

Wow! Looking forward to the opening of the Boardwalk Cafe!!

MrsPipes MrsPipes
Aug '16

Welcome! So happy to hear your great plans!

Looking forward to meeting you and enjoying your fare!

The new Leo's Boardwalk café sounds wonderful. Can't wait for you to open so we can enjoy it all. Wishing you the best with your new endeavor...Joyful and The Duke...P.S. I have a feeling this is going to be a big hit in Hackettstown!

Joyful Joyful
Aug '16

Yes. We are looking forward to itl. Maybe we could do a HL lunch or dinner get together here? ??

Aug '16

Looking forward to your opening!

Bessie Bessie
Aug '16

Any update on the opening date?

Donna Hughes Donna Hughes
Sep '16

I had the pleasure of conversing with a few awesome people about this establishment today. It will be a winner in Hackettstown for sure!!

Does anyone know if it is a "cash only" place, or will they accept plastic?

Parental Unit Parental Unit
Sep '16

Much Luck Eddie!!!
We will be there for sure.

Mattyb Mattyb
Sep '16

When are they opening?

Sport
Sep '16

I believe a soft opening is next weekend!

The Parking on Main St is terrible and other Businesses have Failed. Good Luck !

LittleRascal LittleRascal
Sep '16

Leo's has a whole separate parking lot in the back. There's no issue for that location.

I have never had an issue parking on Main Street or in any of the municipal lots. Stop being lazy & walk a block or 2. Sheesh!

HLamusesMe HLamusesMe
Sep '16

"I have never had an issue parking on Main Street or in any of the municipal lots. Stop being lazy & walk a block or 2. Sheesh"

I've never had a problem with parking either.

Calico696 Calico696
Sep '16

There's a municipal lot on the corner of main and plane, a half a block away from LEos'
If you can't walk half a block for a hot dog, maybe you don't need one !

Deviljet
Sep '16

Gee some people are so quick to judge! I run 3 to 5 miles several times a week and go to the gym. You all will probably need to park directly in front of Leo's Boardwalk. Enjoy !!

Sep '16

There are those of us who love hot dogs but couldn't walk a block if our lives depended on it. Don't judge without knowing the specifics.

Dansker Dansker
Sep '16

Dansker - I'm quite sure people here are not referring to people with actual physical handicaps. Many people are just lazy.

Calico696 Calico696
Sep '16

Wasn't the original Leos there for many years? Guess nobody had trouble parking or walking then.

JRT- I don't know how long Leo's has been around, I do know one thing my mom worked there while she was in HS. Early 1950's

auntiel auntiel
Sep '16

If anyone has a copy of "Historic Main Street Hackettstown" it tells you in there. It started (like Davy Dogs in Mt.Arlington) as a pushcart type business in front of a property and grew from there. It has an old picture in there as well!

http://www.hackettstownhistory.com/narticle_book.shtml

Phil D. Phil D.
Sep '16

I heard it's very nice inside, but I hear they can't get much staff

Chipster Chipster
Sep '16

That's because of the owner's disposition. Don't let the nice exterior fool you.

ArtisticMind
Sep '16

The soft opening is happening right now. Just passed by it. Hope it will be officially opening soon.

Sep '16

According to "Historic Main Street Hackettstown, New Jersey" by Leonard Frank & Raymond Lemasters, 2006, p. 106, Leo's Lunch was originally a homemade portable lunch wagon that Elmer Leo Lommason put on blocks in the front yard of 270 Main St. He later built a roof connecting it to the house. When he retired, his son Donald took over, calling it "Leo's Luncheonette" until he retired in 1980, when it was purchased by Van Paftinos and his wife. In 1990, Mr. Paftinos, who owned a number of properties on that strip demolished the house at 268 Main St. and built the present Leo's Lunch building while also demolishing the old one.

It doesn't say exactly what year he actually set up the Lunch wagon, but I believe it was in the 40's

Phil D. Phil D.
Sep '16

Any more info of when Leo's Boardwalk will be opening???

Sep '16

It's open!

iChristine iChristine
Sep '16

Thanks for the info. Let us know what you think.

Sep '16

Can someone please post the hours?
Looking forward to trying this!

hktownie hktownie
Sep '16

Leos Boardwalk Cafe update
The Boardwalk Cafe did indeed have a soft opening this past Sunday night and would like to thank all those who attended. We hope you enjoyed your sneak peak! Your positive comments and feedback were very much appreciated! We would also like to thank all those who have who have participated in any way in making this journey a success. We would especially like to give a heartfelt thank you to the Poftinos Family for all of your support in making this possible. You will forever have our gratitude.

The Boardwalk Cafe has yet to set an opening date, but rest assured, it will be very soon. We have a few bits and pieces of unfinished business to attend to, to ensure your visit is everything it should be and more! We are committed to making your experience one that will want you coming back for more...(although I'm pretty sure the meatballs will do that on thier own!). Thank you all for your interest in our new establishment.....we appreciate the chatter! We will see you soon Very soon!

Sep '16

Hope they will be opening soon.

Sep '16

Leo's barbecue beef sandwiches were simply the best,soft roll,not too much meat,tangy sauce,tender,not overly filling but just right.. From the 60s and 70s...

BobR.
Sep '16

Opening today 9/27

Good luck!

Botheredbyuu2 Botheredbyuu2
Sep '16

Thanks for the update.

Sep '16

Went today. Had a breakfast sandwich and it was good. Will go back to try other items. The fries,are, fresh cut and good! Prices are higher, but place is very clean and bright!

Sport
Sep '16

Fries for breakfast? Glad you enjoyed, I wish them luck.

Calico696 Calico696
Sep '16

No had the sandwich for lunch! Ha!

Sport
Sep '16

What's wrong with fries at breakfast???

happiest girl
Sep '16

Apparently you have to put the word "home" in front of them and then they're perfectly acceptable ;)

Is that her problem?
LOL !
;-)

happiest girl
Sep '16

Hope to try this place soon. Will let you know what I think.

Sep '16

Is there a menu somewhere?

Lives in PV Lives in PV
Sep '16

Leo's looks absolutely amazing and it is super clean! Now that it is getting cold, you can go to Leo's and enjoy the boardwalk theme and think of the beach. While the initial menus did have higher prices, I do know for certain that Eddie did reduce many of the prices on the menu. The food and the atmosphere are great and I encourage everyone to go and give it a try!

Jane Paftinos Jane Paftinos
Sep '16

Woohoo! Very excited for the place to be open. Will definitely be checking it out soon!

Dancicus Fighticus Dancicus Fighticus
Sep '16

A veteran of Leos:
Leo's 1 - Anne Cooking
Leo's 2 - Mack Cooking
Leo's Boardwalk

So went there this PM - ordered the Boardwalk Burger and Fries - so my review is one the best burgers ive had in the area for a longtime.

Think it was Gouda Cheese, Bacon, Sauteed Onions and Mushrooms with a Creamy Basil spread. So it's a premium burger and the old time Leo's peeps will be disappointed cause it cost money like 7 bucks - think the burger is much better than Pub 517 or Bea McNally's much better - so that is what your dealing with - fresh ingredients - fresh meat - not frozen.

Would put on par with say maybe I don't know a premium burger chain - the fries are heavily seasoned like you would find on a boardwalk. Would give it a 8 out of 10.

Hope people support the place cause it is very good to excellent...imo

RU..burger sounds delicious, Gouda and bacon, different combination compared to the norm.

Bessie Bessie
Oct '16

I went to leos on sunday afternoon.the doors were locked and people were eating inside.whats up with that?

TOLOP
Oct '16

"I went to leos on sunday afternoon.the doors were locked and people were eating inside.whats up with that?"

Private function maybe?

Calico696 Calico696
Oct '16

What time did you get there?

Oct '16

We went on Saturday, didn't get a burger though. Tried the chicken sandwich- parmesean style since we already had beef planned for dinner that day.

Decor- very nice, light and airy boardwalk theme.
Only counter service but we don't mind that.
Menu- limited, full menu not available yet only burgers, hotdogs, wings, cheesesteak and this chicken sandwich.
Fries not included with chicken sandwich or cheesesteak.

Iced tea- special recipe was empty and not refilled while we were there.

Parmesan style chicken here means mozzarella and roasted red pepper, with a bit of some brown sauce that had soaked into the bun. Maybe balsamic?
Found it was dry and bit bland. Needed more sauce or something. Not what I expected for 'parmesean style'. Still we could tell the chicken was cooked fresh and there were 2 good size pieces of chicken there.

Some start up bugs to work out, but we'll go back, try the burger next time.

hktownie hktownie
Oct '16

Their hours are 9am to 1pm, as states on their menu for Sunday.

Oct '16

WE WENT AROUND 130-140PM

TOLOP
Oct '16

So, the people who arrived prior to 1pm were inside finishing their meals, but they locked the door at 1:00 so that no one new could enter after closing time.

I don't know how the Town fire marshal would feel about that particular protocol... none too pleased would be my guess.

ianimal ianimal
Oct '16

LOL ianimal.

Regarding the doors, depends on what kind of doors. Many business have doors that if locked from the outside can still be opened from inside. I have no idea what kind of doors Leo's has since I've never been there.

Calico696 Calico696
Oct '16

Take out story @ Boardwalk Café :
Read the Menus.......Saw a sausage sandwich @ $6.25....ordered it to go.....
Counter person asked for $7.75....... I paid.... While waiting, I looked at the counter daily menu...Sausage sandwich listed @ $6.00....commented about price difference....Counter person (different one) handed me a dollar back....to confused to comment except the sandwich was good !!!

Dazed & confused Dazed & confused
Oct '16

so the sign on the front door said sunday open 900am -o weird?

TOLOP
Oct '16

Would be nice if Sunday hours were posted on the door. My husband and I also stopped at 2:00, saw people inside too. Closing at 1 on a Sunday seems alittle early for a hamburger place.

outsider outsider
Oct '16

Anyone happy a new business opened up in Hackettstown? Anyone want to give them a chance to succeed? I'm reminded of a PBS nature show watching the weak chick in the nest getting pecked to death by it's siblings.

Yankeefan Yankeefan
Oct '16

Been to Leos Boardwalk Cafe a few times since they opened and the food is delicious and the owner is very sweet! The staff was very nice as well. The renovations are amazing, and it looks like a completely different restaurant inside.

RedSoxFan
Oct '16

Thank you Big Papi!

Yankeefan Yankeefan
Oct '16

Went with family on Saturday around 3pm. Place looks awesome and was re-done very nice, employees were very nice and gave us info on allergen's, since my son is allergic to Casein, protein in milk. Now about the food, I ordered a regular hamburger which was very good for $6.25. The cheese steak that my wife got was good and a nice size sandwich for $6.75 but no fries with it. My little one got kids chicken tenders and fries for $6.75 and it was so so! The fries were very good but it's a little portion for $6.75! The wings were nasty and way to over dry and overcooked. Soda bottles were $1.75 which is reasonable. Overall we had a nice experience and we will try it again. We want to go back for dinner and try the beef ribs.

Sergio Qureshi Sergio Qureshi
Oct '16

To Dazed and Confused,
It's really disappointing when a new restaurant has 2 different prices for a sandwich, but then when you pay, now it's another price. Sounds like Boardwalk is dazed and confused.

Chipster Chipster
Oct '16

Seems like 4 prices, menu says $6.25 he is charged $7.75. Daily menu special says $6.00. When asked about the price difference is given a dollar back so he paid $6.75 which is still more than the menu and daily menu special. I guess you better keep an eye on whay you're charged.

kb2755 kb2755
Oct '16

I do not like the fact the now you can not get egg sandwiches for lunch!

Sport
Oct '16

Why can't you get an egg sandwich for lunch?

hot under the collar
Oct '16

No Soup For You!

Yankeefan Yankeefan
Oct '16

I want and egg sandwich Daddy, AND I WANT IT NOW!

Calico696 Calico696
Oct '16

Is that not how most restaurants work? Switching from breakfast to lunch, and then to dinner? This is a new establishment, not the same Leo's. I didn't see anyone going into James on main, and complain that it isn't rodizio. Why must a new business repeat the previous business's menu?? I plan on trying what's on their menu, and then making a judgement off of food and service, instead of basing judgement on whats different than what used to previously be there. Support our towns new establishments!

Jerseylady
Oct '16

Wow, harsh....sounds like you have a vested interest in this place Jerseylady.
I don't recall anyone talking about Leo's old menu. Someone mentioned wanting an "egg sandwich." I didn't realize in this area that a simple "egg sandwich" can only be had at breakfast. We learn something new every day.
As for James on Main, you are talking filet mignon vs ground beef. Unfortunately to compare the two is an insult since James on Main is a gourmet restaurant and Leo's Boardwalk is a cafeteria type sandwich shop that apparently doesn't know how much their items are, doesn't know how to cook wings or Chix parm, and the "special" ice tea remains unfilled. I won't even comment on locking the doors.
Only reading the reviews, don't shoot the messenger.

Chipster Chipster
Oct '16

. 6 to 7 bucks for lunch is actually very good. This is 2016 and we live in NJ. And I just keep coming to this thread to see if there is a menu!

Lives in PV Lives in PV
Oct '16

They don't really have a menu. Its a piece of paper. And it says temporary menu. Its not a full menu.

Christine Christine
Oct '16

Yes, we will go back. Feedback is different from bashing. I gave both positive and negative.

Realize this is a new business and working out some kinks. My feedback above was meant to inform and to help improve since they seem to be reading HL. If I was opening a new business I would want the feedback so I could make it better.

hktownie hktownie
Oct '16

Well said Hktownie. I appreciate everyone's feedback. Isn't this what this thread is for?
With out feedback and opinions I don't think anyone would leave their homes.

Chipster Chipster
Oct '16

Went there tonight. Service great. Waitress the best. Three people ordered burgers. Very below par. Cheeseburger. Melt cheeses before serve. Please? Please make burger the size of bun. Please heat bun to serve on burger. Bun was terrible for burger that was good. Love to see you succeed. Do better.

I was there the other day and ordered a Burger and the waitress asked if I wanted fries with it. Fries are not included with Burger so I got the Plank Burger which was Fried Onion Strips on top with Gouda Cheese. The Burger came out on a Plate all by itself and thought right away that there should be some chips and a pickle on the side or something. Burger looked lost on the Plate by itself. The Burger was MUCH smaller than the Roll but tasted good. The Beef was very good quality!! Our Waitress was very nice and did a great job! The Décor is very nice in the restaurant and I truly will go back again but next time will try Breakfast. I wish Leo's All American Boardwalk the Best !!!

Oct '16

We went for lunch on Sat. We both had cheese steaks. Excellent !!!!! We will definitely be going back.

Snowflake
Oct '16

They have over 600 likes on facebook and haven't made an updates since May. Come on guys....you need to advertise

Lives in PV Lives in PV
Oct '16

some business do not advertise to hard up front to gain a little experience to get process and quality down before they hit it and get more business then they can handle.

Does anyone have the number to this place and set hours?

Sammantha Sammantha
Oct '16

Went for the 2nd time for lunch with wife and baby today. Ordered a cheesesteak, fries and soda. Wife and I shared the cheesesteak since last time she said it was to much for her to eat by herself. Well the cheesesteak was barely edible and the bread was thick and hard:( The fries were nothing to write home about either, had no flavor and they didn't even sprinkle old bay on them, waitress had to take them back to kitchen to put some on them. The kicker I was sick as soon as I got home and took like 4 dumps before I could leave the house:( I think I'm done with this place! I wish them luck!

Oct '16

My wife and her friend went in last week for lunch. Apparently it was on the same day Sergio Qureshi went.
Every thing ya all are asking can be done in a few minutes with a great manager. Menus, Quality control, Prices, Facebook page, Etc. Maybe they are in over their heads and should hire one. Sad to see

Chipster Chipster
Oct '16

My family went the other day for lunch and said it was excellent. Good to hear!

Lives in PV Lives in PV
Oct '16

Sergio, are you sure it was four dumps? If so you had to have eaten quite a bit of Leo's food. Unless of course you're basically full of crap.

Yankeefan Yankeefan
Oct '16

My wife and I had a tasty lunch today. Best burger I have ever had.

Smitt
Oct '16

I went there and got take out following my visit to Community Day. I ordered the Boardwalk Burger and fries. Enjoyed it and was very satisfied. The owner/chef was very friendly as was his counterman. I would go again and possibly do a sit down experience next time.

Natari Natari
Oct '16

We brought dinner home tonight and it was very good. The staff was friendly and our sandwiches were large and very fresh. The fries were great as well. We are lucky to have them in our town! We will be back.

town friend
Oct '16

Been there twice so far and enjoyed it both times. First time I ordered a burger and next time the cheesesteak. Looks like they're still figuring some things out with their menu but good place to eat on Main St. and the staff has been nothing but courteous. Will be back in the future!

Oct '16

Re: New Leo's Boardwalk

Staff was very quick and efficient, inside is the same as last revamp with the espresso colored tables. They just have put around some seaside themed items. Fries nicely seasoned. Cheesesteak with pepper and onions was fantastic. They just need to get more word out they're open.

Is the boardwalk cafe a sit-down waiter service restaurant? Or quick service like mcdonalds type?

It's just like it was before, sit down waiter service with quite a few tables. Plus a counter for take out orders.

All the negative feedback on here seems ridiculous to me. I've eaten here about twice a week since they've opened and I've been over-the-top happy about every item I've ordered. These guys cook awesome food. Clean, nice, friendly atmosphere and the best burgers, cheesesteaks, etc. in town BY FAR.

Great specials for dinner too. Seems like they've worked out the kinks that every restaurant goes through while they start. If you went to this place early on and were unhappy, I highly reccomend going back.

High quality restaurant food for very fair prices. I'm all in.

Charlie Brown Charlie Brown
Oct '16

I had the plank burger and the boardwalk fries...excellent beef loved the hand cut fries and seasoning..hear their ribs are great.

Check the latest "Money Mailer" coupon pack for their ad. It has the full menu, hours, and a couple of coupons as well. It should answer any of the questions asked here.

GC - I think the Money Mailer is different based on geography. I didn't get anything for Leo's and you probably didn't get anything for the new chicken place in Washington. Scoundrels! ;-)

Calico696 Calico696
Oct '16

Yes Calico. You are correct. It depends on where you live.

Oct '16

The Hackettstown Money Mailer also has an ad and coupons for Taste of Italy.

happiest girl
Oct '16

I never get the Money Mailer anymore. I thought they stopped it.

Bessie Bessie
Oct '16

I finally was able to order some lunch after a few weeks of them being open. I ordered a burger and fries..
the burger was absolutely fantastic! just the way I like.
I complimented chef Eddie on all the improvements they did with the space they have, while waiting for my order, and he was very generous with showing me all the hard work he and his daughters had done to this place. I never knew there was a back dining area in this building.. it was beautiful! i was actually shocked that it was the same building that i walked into!
this business is super clean, super friendly,
and so far, they have won me over on a basic order, which is very important to me. and we got to chat about some bikes!
I'm very happy to have this place so close to me
Thank you Chef Eddie and your daughters for the hard work you put into making something that folks can enjoy!
see you soon!

JohneeOxford JohneeOxford
Oct '16

http://www.moneymailer.com/coupons/online/hackettstown/nj/dining/1973627

Mr Coupon
Oct '16

Just had breakfast there. Everything was great. Food and service Wish them the best.

Hackmom Hackmom
Nov '16

Yankeesfan The cheesesteak was nasty like I said before it did get my violently sick! I tried to go back again this week but the place was closed all week? Saw a note on door about a emergency or something? Again it is nothing great, so don't take it personally, its just my opinion!

Nov '16

Is the place closed? My husband went the other day and he also saw the sign on the door. Does anyone know what's up? My curiosity is kicking in.

Heidi Heidi
Nov '16

Medical problems.

The Man The Man
Nov '16

Sad to hear! We tried to go today with a party of 9, ready to give this place a try, but saw the sign on the window.

TigerMom
Nov '16

Does anyone know what is going on ? Do they plan on opening again ?

Mariann Mariann
Dec '16

In my opinion if they were opening back up Leo's Boardwalk would have stated so with some kind of time frame. It would be difficult to pay Rent with business not operating. Unfortunately I think the restaurant may be out of business. I hope that I am wrong and they open back up.

Dec '16

As I understand it, the owner had a major health event which likely won't allow him to continue operating it and they're looking for a new owner or lessee. I hope they're able to find a team who'd like to reopen it, so the current owner doesn't have the added stress of more bills on top of their current issues.

Phil D. Phil D.
Dec '16

So why couldn't his daughters run it? It has been closed for like 2 months now. Why put all that money into it and then let it go? I hope someone took care of the fish! So sorry he had medical issues but its a shame to let it go. Oh well

Jan '17

Just sharing the piece from the earlier post on this thread.
____
Hello All!

Leo's is reopening on Main Street! We're excited to be a part of such a terrific community, and bring back one of the town's greatest places. So many of you have stopped by and said hello, and have made us feel so very welcome. We greatly appreciate it.

Our vision for Leo's Lunch & Cafe is to pay homage to the history of Leo's, and the impact it had on the community.

Our menu will be similar to how it used to be. We'll be serving American cuisine with an old school feel and a modern touch. Great hamburgers, hotdogs, sandwiches, and salads. We can't forget milkshakes, ice cream and oversized sundaes! We'll also have coffee, espresso and cappuccinos. We'll be open for breakfast, lunch and dinner.

We have no set open date just yet, but will post updates on our Facebook page. We're shooting for the next few weeks. Follow us here: https://www.facebook.com/LeosLunchCafe. Feel free to send us a message on there if you have any questions.

Like we said above, community is our focus. Can you help us out? Throughout your time eating at Leo's, what was your favorite menu item? Also, the biggest question is, do we bring back the Chuck Wagon burger? The patty was deep-fried, similar to a chicken-fried steak.

Don't be afraid to share your favorite memories of your times at Leo's, we love hearing your stories.

Reach out to us on Facebook if you have any questions!

-Peter & The Leo's Staff

Leo's Lunch & cafe
Feb '17

I say definitely bring back the Chuck Wagon burger, I'll give it a try. I know a lot of people today are watching their fat consumption. But if you're already going to go for that burger, you already know what you're getting into. It might not be something I would do regularly, but I'd love to splurge once in a while.

I can't give any old stories, there are others here far longer than I have been. And I've heard a few of them. But I can say my favorite item for sure is the onion rings. May not be the largest item on the menu, but it's one thing I always went there for.

Woohoo! Looking forward to the reopening. Chuck wagon burger sounds great as a once in a while treat. Only lived in town a year so i have no memories of the old place, but I'd love to make new ones once you open.

Feb '17

Please keep the cheesesteaks, hot dogs and French fries! Can't wait! It will be nice to get a quick lunch and be able to get back to work in a reasonable amount of time!

Sport
Feb '17

My mom worked there in the late 40's, my brother in the early 70's. I can remember my Great Grandmother siting in her rocker next door on the front porch, about 1960. In the 60's I remember the burgers were 15 cents. Always came in a brown paper bag. Stopped every day after school. The milkshakes were very thick, you had to use a long handle spoon because the straw was paper, it didn't last to long. Bring back the pork roll and cheese on a hoagie roll. And the glass candy cases. As kids you could view all the candy at eye level. Can't wait for the reopening. Good luck.

auntiel auntiel
Feb '17

My kids loved the buffalo chicken wraps and the fresh milkshakes. Also--please offer a great salad with romaine, (no iceburg!) and other fresh produce-great for those who want to stay heathy and enjoy their quality food.

TigerMom
Feb '17

Just make the sandwiches bigger than the Paftinos' did; you needed 2 of their cheesesteaks to equal a normal one at any pizzeria. Don't skimp, use fresh everything especially bread and buns. Give a good meal at a fair price. Allow BYOB and advertise as such.

Longtime Townie
Feb '17

Longtime Townie , they are the Paftinos. Peter and the Leos staff

stephen stephen
Feb '17

LTT is right. Their sandwiches were eating puny and the quality was dipping at the end. BYOB is a good idea.

Grizzly Adams
Feb '17

I was always under the impression that restaurants can't advertise that they are BYOB. Does anyone know if that's true?

MB - That's completely untrue.

HLamusesme HLamusesme
Feb '17

From the NJ Alcoholic Beverage Commission handbook:

B.Y.O.B. (BRING YOUR OWN BOTTLE)
CAN “B.Y.O.B.” BE ADVERTISED?
Under no circumstances may any “B.Y.O.B.” (Bring Your Own Bottle) be advertised in any fashion by an unlicensed restaurant or other public place where food or beverages are sold to the general public. A person who is found guilty of violating this prohibition is considered a disorderly person.

By definition (N.J.S.A 2C:33-27), B.Y.O.B. prohibits sales of alcohol and relates to unlicensed premises. Accordingly, questions relating to B.Y.O.B. are generally not within the purview of the ABC and should be directed to appropriate
local law enforcement officials.

CAN A CUSTOMER BRING ALCOHOLIC BEVERAGES INTO A LICENSED PREMISES?
There is no regulation prohibiting this practice, however, the licensee has the right to permit or prohibit this practice as a matter of business policy. (See “Penalty – Effect on Use of Premises.”)

ARE NON-LICENSED RESTAURANTS PERMITTED TO ALLOW CUSTOMERS TO BRING THEIR OWN ALCOHOLIC BEVERAGES (“B.Y.O.B.”) FOR CONSUMPTION WITH THEIR MEALS?
Unless there is a local ordinance prohibiting it, customers of an unlicensed restaurant may be permitted by the ownership of the restaurant to bring and consume only wine and beer. The restaurant can supply glasses, ice, etc., but may not impose a cover, corkage or service charge. Also, under no circumstances may spirituous liquors be permitted. There may be no advertising whatsoever of the fact that wine or beer may be permitted. Additionally, the owner may not permit wine or beer to be consumed during hours in which the sale of these products is prohibited by licensees in that municipality, nor allow consumption of beer or wine by persons under 21 years or by persons who are actually or apparently drunk or intoxicated. (N.J.S.A2C:33-27.)

WHERE SHOULD VIOLATIONS OF THE “B.Y.O.B.” LAW BE REPORTED?
Since the statute (N.J.S.A. 2C:33-27) applies to non-licensed premises, violations should be reported to the police department of the municipality in which the offending restaurant is located.

ianimal ianimal
Feb '17

Is this the same owner as leos lunch thats reopening the place or is it the owner that opened leos boardwalk? Im a bit confused

Soccermom12 Soccermom12
Feb '17

Awesome news! Keep the old cheesteaks! I have missed them greatly

Hello!

I love hearing the old stories from Leo's. I'm very honored and feel very lucky to be able to continue the legacy of this iconic place. I have enjoyed reading your posts. Please keep them coming!

Let me take the time to address a few this I have read so far. We will bring back the Chuck Wagon Burger! Also I have contacted A-Treat soda and we are bringing it back to the restaurant as well as coca-cola. Cheese Steaks will be on the menu and available in a half or full size! You will not be disappointed in the size. We will be using 100% ribeye beef. Hot dogs, fries and onion rings will be on the menu also. Plus we will have some new things on the menu as well. Our menu will be released before we open. Speaking of opening, we are working very hard to be open March 12th for the parade. We will keep you posted on our progress as we get closer. We can not advertise as a BYOB according to Law. HL is correct. I have seen restaurants advertise it though. We will be BYOB (Beer & Wine Only) but we won't advertise it. But I guess we kind of just did!

Leo's Lunch & Cafe Leo's Lunch & Cafe
Feb '17

Part 2:

Finally we are not Leo's Boardwalk. We are Leo's Lunch & Cafe.
We want to bring back the old Leo's by honoring the history and the old menu but adding some new things as well. I hope you keep commenting and I would love to hear your ideas to make Leo's a success. The great thing about history is it belongs to us all and the community. So your input is very important to me. I'm very excited to meet you all. If you see us working knock on the door we would love to talk and hear your stories!

Best Regards,
Peter C.

Feb '17

I hope you will have chili dogs and cheese, but with either melted, sliced cheese or shredded cheese on top. That permanently liquid stuff that passes as cheese at many places just doesn't taste the same! I saw someone last week unlocking the door to go in as I was passing and was hoping that meant you'd be reopening. That's great news, thanks!.

Phil D. Phil D.
Feb '17

I just read all this to my hubby-He enthusiastically said--PUHLEEZE the PORK ROLL, EGG AND CHEESE ON A TOASTED LONG ROLL-KETCHUP SALT AND PEPPER.
mmmmmmmmmmm-NOMM NOM NOM NOM NOM NOM... Yes PUULEEEZEEE!!!
So excited for your opening! Best of Luck!!!

foodiegerl foodiegerl
Feb '17

The Pizza burgers years ago were yummy.

auntiel auntiel
Feb '17

Looks like they will post updates on face book. and they are hiring
https://www.facebook.com/LeosLunchCafe

gary d
Feb '17

Chili cheese dogs a plate of fries with ketchup perogie with butter pork roll with mustard and lettuce man I can't wait for opening day!!!!!

Aunt jemima Aunt jemima
Feb '17

Loved the pizza burgers.

Happycamper Happycamper
Feb '17

In 1969 my husband and I used to ride up Schooley's Mtn from Morristown on a Honda bike to get a pizza burger from LEO's.

We would then ride around and ended up purchasing our home in Hackettstown.

Thanks to LEO's, for introducing "love for Hackettstown".

Bernie Bernie
Feb '17

You got it! Pork Roll Egg & cheese on a long roll is coming! Also we will have a belly buster version. Pork Roll, egg, cheese and home fries on a long roll!

Chili Cheese dogs will be there. We don't use Canned Cheese Sauce!!!! :( Gross! We make our own cheese sauce from scratch. You'll Love It!!!

Peter C.

Feb '17

Cheese Fries and Gravy Please......

craftbeerbob craftbeerbob
Feb '17

Could someone please tell me what is on The Chuck Wagon burger?

Walker Walker
Feb '17

Chuck Wagon is a country fried burger patty served on a bun with lettuce and tomato.

Feb '17

Omg! How I have missed those chocolate milkshakes.

Small correction. It's Taylor Ham and Egg with cheese. Pork Roll is what those dirty south Jersey people say and we are better up here in the north!

FredFinger FredFinger
Feb '17

Just moved back here (north Jersey) from living in south Jersey for several years. The Taylor Ham vs. Pork Roll debate is taken very seriously in south Jersey. If you ask for a THEC (Taylor ham, egg & cheese), you are treated as if you are from enemy territory. I won't go into the sub/hoagie/grinder/hero debate. I believe the Sub Shack name is accurate!!

Really looking forward to trying new Leo's.

Taylor ham vs pork roll? Come on....

What about the "Sub" (North Eastern Jersey) compared to the "Hoagie" (Western Jersey n PA) ? Why would the name have any importance other than the actual taste and quality?

positive positive
Feb '17

The Taylor company knows what their product is. It's only certain morons in the northeast that think a ground, emulsified pork product qualifies as "ham".

ianimal ianimal
Feb '17

Looking forward to trying Leo's again! Hoping it can be a go-to place for dinner take out now and then since my family has a crazy schedule.

If the owners are reading the only feedback I have is that last time we were there the rolls seemed like they were from a bakery but they were huge and seemed to soak up all the sauce. We would be happy with a smaller roll or a little more sauce.

hktownie hktownie
Feb '17

A hoagie? What the hell is a hoagie? I believe you meant a sub. And if you call it a pork roll, if I may channel my favorite Office Space quote, I believe you could get punched in the face for that sort of thing.

FredFinger FredFinger
Feb '17

Born and raised in Long Valley 60 plus years ago .... it's pork roll NOT Taylor ham !!

outsider outsider
Mar '17

The original name WAS Taylor ham.

The Man The Man
Mar '17

Outsider, lived here for 40.... Never ever called it Taylor Ham. It's Pork Roll!!!

Chipster Chipster
Mar '17

It's NEVER been called pork roll by Jersey people!! Lol

I order the sandwich as Taylor Ham, Egg and Cheese and I've lived in North Jersey for 50 yrs. It tastes good.

Mar '17

All of my life I referred to saying "Taylor Ham". Concerning "hoagies", "heroes"...I've always referred to them as "subs".

But really is this that important? Who the heck cares....

positive positive
Mar '17

Only morons don't know that the product was originally called - BY THE COMPANY ITSELF - Taylor HAM. And in fact, the product IS made of minced HAM.

GetOverYerself GetOverYerself
Mar '17

http://jerseyporkroll.com/about/

What is the difference between Taylor Ham and Taylor Pork Roll? The proper name according to the manufacturer, Taylor Provisions of Trenton NJ, is John Taylor’s “Original Taylor Pork Roll.” It was originally called “Taylor Ham” and although the name was changed in 1906 many of us in North Jersey still call it simply, “Taylor Ham.” Think of it as Kleenex is to tissues, Taylor Ham is to Pork Roll.

emaxxman emaxxman
Mar '17

Most town forums in this state wouldn't be having this debate. The reason people are doing so in this forum is due to us being on the border, so-to-speak :o)

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2016/06/results_of_our_great_pork_roll_vs_taylor_ham_battle_divide_nj.html

http://nsjersey.blogspot.com/2008/03/taylor-ham-pork-roll-map.html

Went to the new Cafe version of Leo's for lunch today. Got a cheese steak and onion rings that just screams the old time Leo's in my mind. They just started the breakfast menu, will be trying that out on Sunday. ;-)

Rich that would explain why I got a breakfast sandwich in Flemington and it said pork roll on the menu.

Metsman Metsman
Mar '17

GC Thank You for the great review!! We are so very pleased it reminds you of the Old Leo's. We are trying hard to bring back its old glory! See you Sunday!

Respectfully,
Peter C.
& Leo's Staff

Mar '17

Love the new Leo's Cafe! Have had several things and not been disappointed.

Sport
Mar '17

Guys, here's the thing....if you want to succeed you need to be on the internet...a lot of folks I talk to are using it...good place to advertise...tell the customers about specials on the menu, or about fish sandwiches or pork chop sandwiches and ....provide the cost.....great thing to use

Hank Arthur
Mar '17

Sport thank you for the great review!!! We are very grateful!!!

Mar '17

A group of us HLers met for Sunday breakfast today at the new Leo's Lunch & Café. Our hostess Robin was more than patient with our noisy group (speaking for myself mostly) and took our orders and chatted with us like we were family (almost felt we were by the time we left). We had quite a extensive breakfast menu to choose from. The Duke was ecstatic when he saw they served chipped beef on toast there as that is his favorite breakfast and not all restaurants serve that dish. He also noticed that they had hash and eggs on the menu as well. (another favorite). We all were very pleased with the atmosphere and friendliness and really good food at Leo's Lunch & Café! I am sure we all will be returning to try some of the other items on their menu for lunch or dinner very soon!

Joyful Joyful
Mar '17

"Leo's Boardwalk" is no longer in business, therefore this thread is now closed.

To avoid confusion, please use this thread from now on:

http://www.hackettstownlife.com/forum/788066

Mar '17

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.