Local(ish) Bar Closed Down

I guess the "Smile" at Smiles II in Ledgewood is now a frown. These people are big time crooks it appears.

https://www.tapinto.net/towns/roxbury/articles/roxbury-go-go-club-closed-down-as-owner-employ

Year-long investigation...at a go-go bar...just sayin'.

Common Sense Common Sense
Jul '16

Hmmm

"But that wasn't all. Authorities contend those arrested found other illicit ways to get gift cards, such as by fraudulently offering vehicles for sale on eBay and Craigslist. "Unsuspecting purchasers would be directed to pay for the vehicle with pre-paid gift cards from credit companies such as Master Card and Visa, and those gift cards also were allegedly processed through Smiles II," said the attorney general's office."

I wonder if that happened to be why HL was getting those car scam ads for a while?

Common Sense - LOL to that, though I'm sure they'll say it took that long to unravel all the machinations the owners had in place to cheat and steal ;-)

Phil D. Phil D.
Jul '16

Phil D - The car scams were from other parts of the country. If it was from the Roxbury area, it would have not been so noticeable.

Thanks for the info GC. Obviously it helps to know the ip addy of the poster;-)

Phil D. Phil D.
Jul '16

It was a tough assignment I'm sure. Lots of time undercover.
A close friend of mine was a Roxbury Health Inspector for many years. I would often joke with him that weekly inspections of Smiles was not necessary. LOL

You guys are too funny. Yeah, it must have been really hard investigating this whole mess.

Calico696 Calico696
Jul '16

"You guys are too funny. Yeah, it must have been really hard investigating this whole mess."

Even funnier Calico, whether you were punning with the "really hard" part of that line or not;-)

Personally I was only ever in there once, back in the mid-80's or so, when I went with friends. Never went back. Not that I don't enjoy watching women dance, but when married, unless it had been to someone who saw the possible fun of going with me to one, I figured it would be insulting to my (now ex) had I been going to a place like that, as if saying she wasn't "good enough". Some people it doesn't bother, but I knew it would've bothered her - plus lots of money to be wasted there.

Phil D. Phil D.
Jul '16

I knew something was fishy in that place.

Robbetggrobber
Jul '16

How hard of a year long investigation. That has been going forever. I guess cops finally were pushed to do something.

kikinj kikinj
Jul '16

Yes, punning. ;-)

Calico696 Calico696
Jul '16

Gee, a sketchy "gentleman's club" off a highway in northern New Jersey was involved in illegal activities?
I'm shocked. Really....shocked.

1988LJ 1988LJ
Jul '16

So... is "Legs and eggs" this Friday a no go, then? The article was a little light on specifics, lol (-;

ianimal ianimal
Jul '16

Yeah... they steal 9 million and will probably get 18 months in prison, and they already have most of the loot overseas, as to pay back less restitution and have enough stolen money to live on. I watch the show "American Greed". They showed Madoff, laughing about how much he loves his prison. They were eating lobster, filet mignon, have a cotton candy machine, barbecues, like living in an "assisted living facility" , as he put it.
Then they show all the people who lost their homes, retirement and basically had their lives ruined. Millionaires who steal the millions, to get them there, get less prison time, usually around 5-8 years, then a homeless person, caught panhandling, with a crumb of crack in his pocket. Ridiculous!
Oh well...I guess we won't be seeing any more of those $2 bills, with the smiles logo stamped on them, circulating around, anymore. If you have one, may soon be a Collector's item. LOL..

sparksjbc1964 sparksjbc1964
Jul '16

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.