Beware guy selling meat door to door

A man just drove up to our house saying he had high quality steaks that he needed to get rid of for cheap, that he was out in our area making deliveries and needed to unload the leftovers.

Just a heads up to anyone in Hackettstown. These are classic scams. Don't fall for it.

millionyearpicnic millionyearpicnic
Jul '16

What area of town was this in? What type of vehicle was he driving? Did it have a company name on it? Did he show you the steaks? Did they look decent? How much was he asking for them?

I know, lots of questions. Sorry.

Calico696 Calico696
Jul '16

LOL.. I hope that wasn't my husband! He just stocked our freezer with beef. I was complaining to him just this morning that it's too full. A roast fell out and bruised my foot !

hktownie hktownie
Jul '16

Ouch hktownie! Been there, done that. I hope the damage is minimal.

BTW - Care to give a description of said husband so the OP can confirm or deny? ;-)

Calico696 Calico696
Jul '16

"Leftovers" is the red flag that should stop people right there. That's not the way regular companies work. The crap they have is all packaged up so you can't open it, it's below the point that can be graded which means it's even less than pet food, and it's been force injected with chemicals to make up for it. The fat should be used for making soap and candles, not human consumption.

If you ever get that knock on the door, quickly say no, and then call the police.

Hah! that dude came by my house about a month ago or so. Told him I was vegetarian (not a lie) and he got all pissed looking and drove off.

eperot eperot
Jul '16

Re: Beware guy selling meat door to door

"Did it have a company name on it?"

I think his shirt had this logo...

Mark Mc. Mark Mc.
Jul '16

Why involve the police GC? I'm sure the police have better things to do than answer calls of someone knocking on a door.

Soliciting without a permit is against the law, it is also a classic scam used to "case" homes to be robbed. I would encourage you to call the police, if the guys Is legit then no issue, if it is something nefarious, they will be there anyway "with something better to do"..

Agust Agust
Jul '16

SL - Because it's illegal fraud. The police caught someone just like that a few years back. They said they were very happy to get the scammers and their bad product off the street.

Are you kidding? Why call police, you ask? Some guy is selling "meat" from his car, and you don't think that's shady, and potentially a health hazard? What if some poor, unsuspecting elderly person buys this "meat" and it's been in his car all day, unrefrigerated, gets sick and dies? The elderly are, unfortunately, always at risk of being taken advantage of b/c their judgment and mental acuity can be off.

ChristIsRisen ChristIsRisen
Jul '16

Eewww I hope nobody is foolish enough to buy meat from some random guy that knocks on your door.

Maybe years ago that wouldn't look so out of place, but in today's world it most definitely is. Are those home delivery companies still around? I think Shwan or something was one of them?

I don't know If someone showed up at my door and said they had leftover meat they had to get rid of...I'd be thinking they were trying to get rid of uncle joe or something without anyone knowing lol!

LOL JRT.

Schwan's is still around. I see their trucks all the time.

http://www.schwans.com/

Calico696 Calico696
Jul '16

I would also advocate a call to the police non emergency line

skippy skippy
Jul '16

Oh yeah that's it Calico! Wow! I haven't seen one of their trucks in years... My old boss used to order from them. It was a waste of money IMO

A friend of mine in town still orders from them. I don't get it either, but it's their money.

Calico696 Calico696
Jul '16

Now that you can get delivery from Shoprite, Schwan's definitely doesn't look so good. It's not a service for everyone. But it can be a real help for mothers with a bunch of small kids, or elderly that can't get around so well, and others. The big order of large family can easily make it worth while.

....a meat salesman?.. really? I thought this was a joke when I read the thread headline - not sure that many people would need to be told to be careful of a random "meat salesman" showing up on their doorstep uninvited, LOL - does this really happen? Do people actually purchase from him?

pmnsk pmnsk
Jul '16

No no no...it wasn't Schwanns. It was a guy in a ford Transit that had a body wrap on it with all these images of things like bbq ribs and steaks on a grill or something. I just thought it was strange because l was the only person on my street he stopped for, probably because l just happened to be outside.

Eperot Eperot
Jul '16

Re: Beware guy selling meat door to door

Actually, l think this might be the guy...

Eperot Eperot
Jul '16

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.