Life secrets for a new generation

Hints and tips, life tricks and everyday secrets all welcome!
what is a secret that you think everyone should know? pass on your genius!

Here is what I got off the top of my head:

Never get mad, except on purpose.

Learn one excellent, uncommon, and clean joke. Practice it until you get the timing and details down. Learn a dirty one, too.

Use auto correct / spell check but verify

Learn how to cook one great meal not involving a grill.

Learn to cook one great meal on the grill - that is not normally cooked there.

Learn to iron or have your clothing dry cleaned. The best clothing in the world looks like crap if it's all wrinkled and so do you.

When giving a gift always look for something the other person would like, not what you would like to give them. Same goes for taking them out socially.

Always clean your feet with soap when you bathe - take a brush to them

Keep at least $5 in quarters in your car for meters and tolls etc.

If you say you'll call, call - otherwise you are a douche.

Return all important calls as soon as possible - but be reasonable. 24 hours is the max.

The only thing worse than failing is continuing to fail. Learn when to discontinue a pursuit.

Often the best action to take is no action at all - ergo don't sweat the small stuff - 99% of it is irrelevant.

At the gym, rack your weights and wipe down your benches or you are "that guy"- don't be "that guy"

Learn how to properly tie a tie, even if you hardly ever wear one or are a girl - especially if you are a girl and you plan on living with a man ever.

Do not cruise in the left lane. If you are driving slower than the person behind you, move to the right lane.

Did I mention the right lane?

Never wear a band shirt to that band's concert.

Right lane.....

righty tighty, lefty loosy. Clockwise moves it away from you, Counter clockwise towards you.

skippy skippy
Jul '16

Look people in the eye when you talk to them.

Eperot Eperot
Jul '16

Not everything that happens in life needs to be posted on Instagram, Snapchat, or Facebook.

Eperot Eperot
Jul '16

Learn to be comfortable with your own company. If you don't like hanging out with you, chances are no one else will either.

Eperot Eperot
Jul '16

Love all of those ! Thank you !

skippy skippy
Jul '16

"Learn how to properly tie a tie, even if you hardly ever wear one or are a girl - especially if you are a girl and you plan on living with a man ever."

Shame on you, Skippy for posting such sexist words !!!!!

Let us know what *girls* you know who are living with men.
Girls I know go to grade school.

Why don't you tell us the names of the men you know who are so stupid they cannot tie their own tie ....... and need a *girl* to do it for them..

happiest girl
Jul '16

Read Desiderata by Max Ehrmann. It is a way of dealing with the world, the people you know, don't want to know, some good advice for surviving life in general.

Choose your friends wisely when you are young. It will be among your most important decisions in life.

maja2 maja2
Jul '16

My "secret "...I guess these posts aren't secret anymore..LOL. Anyway, in the workplace, never tell anyone your problems. %20 don't care and the other %80 are glad you have them.
When a co-worker gossips to you, about another co-worker, just nod and smile. Chances are, when you're not there, they are not only spreading around and twisting your words, they may be gossiping about you. There's the exception to the rules. Sounds a little cynical. I know. Just learned the above secrets, over the last few years, working in a competitive environment.

sparksjbc1964 sparksjbc1964
Jul '16

Always show respect for the elderly and especially your parents and grandparents..You are going to be in their shoes before you know it..

When a friend or family member does a favor for you or something special...show your appreciation with a thank you note or a favor in return..

Find out people in your community in distress or who need a helping hand...Just a call or a visit will mean so much to them..

Joyful Joyful
Jul '16

Umm you do realize your screen name is Happiest GIRL not happiest woman, don't you?

And his point was to learn how to tie a tie when you are a girl so that when u are a woman living with a man you know how.

Geez some ppl with just find ways to be offended.

Darwin Darwin
Jul '16

Never show up empty handed to a person's home or party to which you were invited.

Never tuck in a sports jersey, unless you are playing the game.

If you live with females, put the toilet seat down after use.

Calico696 Calico696
Jul '16

Put down the phone, there is a whole world out their besides texting and phone calls. And don't repeat the behavior of many parents today by ignoring your kids in a restaurant or store by the over use of their phones. Your kids are only young for a short while so enjoy being with them without distractions of social media.

justwondering justwondering
Jul '16

Ignore happiest girl, life is too short to deal with people looking to be offended all the time.

(I figure one "good turn" deserved another)

JeffersonRepub JeffersonRepub
Jul '16

When shaking someone's hand look them in the eye and have a firm grip

Love everyone - even if you don't

Road rage is a waste of energy

Take long walks in the forest (Winter, Spring, Summer and Fall) you will be amazed how much changes from month to month

And nothing good ever happens after 11pm (get to bed) so you can enjoy tomorrow!

LibertyThinker LibertyThinker
Jul '16

Do something for someone, or compliment someone, at least once every day.

Giving is where happiness begins.

Floss.

Eperot Eperot
Jul '16

When a situation feels a bit too much to handle....try to "Rise Above It"....

Joyful Joyful
Jul '16

Question everything.
Critical thinking is by far the most important life skill you can obtain.
Communication is everything in life.

justintime justintime
Jul '16

Perspective. Life is all about perspective. Be thankful for what you have, because it is much more than most people on this planet have. It may sound trite, and young'uns won't get it, but as you get older you begin to realize the profundity of perspective.

JeffersonRepub JeffersonRepub
Jul '16

Sunscreen - use it

skippy skippy
Jul '16

Ephesians 4:26 "In your anger do not sin": Do not let the sun go down while you are still angry,

a.k.a. - never go to be angry

Larry M Darst Larry M Darst
Jul '16

Never turn down a dance with your parents. Especially your grandparents.

auntiel auntiel
Jul '16

Great thread. Wonderful suggestions.

Compliment at least one person every day.

Tell your loved ones you love them every day.

Thank you, Skippy, for this thread.

Be generous in all ways
Enjoy your time with you as much as with others
Be kind to animals

4catmom 4catmom
Jul '16

Re: Life secrets for a new generation

"Umm you do realize your screen name is Happiest GIRL not happiest woman, don't you?"

ianimal ianimal
Jul '16

Glad you guys like it :-)

skippy skippy
Jul '16

This thread is for sharing, not criticizing something that was shared. The venting thread is probably a better place for that.

Be kind as much as possible. You have no idea what someone might have been through....

Pamper yourself with one personal care item - for me it's shaving - I have a beaver hair brush and a double edge razor and enjoy the 10 minutes it takes me to shave - sure I could do it in one with a multi blade razor in the shower but this reminds me of my dad and allows me to spend some time to focus on nothing but that.

skippy skippy
Jul '16

I was a girl once. And the boys in my school all wore ties. And all of the girls learned to knot a tie that a boy was wearing. We did all, mostly, hope to marry a man when we grew up. Just saying.

Tip for the new generation, if it isn't a kind thing to say, then do you really need to say it? No? Then don't :)

maja2 maja2
Jul '16

True comments. Thank people. I have started sending ,at work , these official recognitions to people for their work. It goes to their managers also and people are so happy to receive. It only takes a minute but means a lot. I do it for what they perceive as just doing their job type things also. Doesn't include money but is nice.

A good day
Jul '16

Violence is not strength just as compassion is not weakness.

If it rolls or floats it will cost you money at some point

Don't skimp on any item that is between you and the ground - ergo brakes and tires and shoes / sneaks. The potential for a bad outcome is catastrophic and not worth the risk.

Keep spares of cheap items anywhere you think you might need/want them. The amount of time you'll save over a lifetime not looking for nail clippers, tweezers, sunglasses, headphones, etc. adds up.

Put a small bag in the trunk of your car with a first aid kit, multitool, lighter, flashlight, maybe some paracord, etc. It's amazing how often it can come in handy and makes you feel great when you can help someone.

Soak your shower head in CLR every once in a while to get rid of restrictions in the nozzles that rob valuable pressure from your shower.

Where there is a will there's a YouTube video. I can't tell you how many things I've fixed and how many upgrades I've done to things that I had next to zero prior knowledge of before watching a video (or a few) on YouTube. You get the satisfaction of knowing you did the work yourself and you can save money. It's a confidence booster.

skippy skippy
Jul '16

Very important these days! Don't post or upload anything when you're anonymous that you would be ashamed to post under your own name. Anonymity can make people reckless and mean.

hktownie hktownie
Jul '16

True - and don't post anything on Facebook you wouldn't want a future employer or spouse to see - the Internet is forever

skippy skippy
Jul '16

"Clockwise moves it away from you, Counter clockwise towards you."

You sure about that?

Clancy Clancy
Jul '16

Hair of the dog is still the best hangover cure.

Calico696 Calico696
Jul '16

with right hand threaded screws yep

skippy skippy
Jul '16

"You sure about that?"

If it's a standard right hand thread, yes...

It's kind of a weird way of restating "righty tighty, lefty loosy" though.

Mark Mc. Mark Mc.
Jul '16

"Keep spares of cheap items anywhere you think you might need/want them. The amount of time you'll save over a lifetime not looking for nail clippers, tweezers, sunglasses, headphones, etc. adds up."

LOL! I always tell my husband if he just put things back where the belong after using them, he won't have to hunt for them later.

Calico696 Calico696
Jul '16

oh that reminds me - when you use a tool - put it back and put it away - spend the 2 minutes to do that so you know where it is.

skippy skippy
Jul '16

The past, present, and future are equally significant. It is important to plan for your future, but do not let it be at the expense of your present. It is important to learn from your past, but don’t let it dictate the present or the future.

Find that balance between work (=$) and time.

Nurture relationships that you care about and make them a priority; spend the time and effort on them so you don’t wake up one day and realize you’ve drifted away and created a distance that may be irreparable.

Take care of your body and oral health! These things are much easier to maintain than to repair!

Happy Homemaker Happy Homemaker
Jul '16

1) If you have a camera in your front window to record the daily activities of construction workers across the street from your residence, don't call the police when said workers place a security camera on their building.

2) Don't place dog feces on construction equipment. You never know who may be watching.....

Casual Observer Casual Observer
Jul '16

Don't make people a priority that only make you an option.. There's some deep philosophical stuff right there.

Time is a precious commodity - be careful how and with whom you spend it

skippy skippy
Jul '16

Lol casual observer! Hmm wonder who that could be....:):)

So many great ones already....

I always liked....Be careful what you wish for because you just might get it!

has gotten me a couple of times :)

Know that you can only control what you do and not what others do..you have to just let it go.

Don't eat beans, broccoli or cauliflower before going to the movies with a friend..unless you want to end the friendship.

positive positive
Jul '16

But can be fun before taking a bath - think battleship

skippy skippy
Jul '16

Done that skippy..many bubbles it was like a jacuzzi! Lol

positive positive
Jul '16

Before you decide to post a lie..check all of your previous posts first.

Humor, laughter, humor and more laughter=better quality of life and better relationships.

positive positive
Jul '16

Skippy, l've got a badger brush and a Merkur double edge razor. Some nice Taylor's of old Bond Street cream too. Your statement should have been

"Shave like a man."
:)

Eperot Eperot
Jul '16

Awesome to find other wicked edge fans - I just picked up a feather

skippy skippy
Jul '16

LOL skippy & Eperot

I've got the Badger brush, shaving mug & soap, but also have a few cut throat single edge razors that I use on occasion to keep in practice. I've also used it to shave my own head a number of times as well, all because my Grandfather (the tonsorial arts being just one of his trades through life) said that I would never be able to.

The lesson there is to not let the people who say it can't be done get you down, instead let them be your stepping off point to education, learning & training in order to prove that not only can something be done, but that you can be the one to accomplish that feat!

I guess the new saying is "Shave like a man with skilled hands and nerves of steel".

Ladies (and gents). Yes, the ability to tie a tie IS a very good skill for all sexes to learn. This is because learning to tie both Single Windsor & Double Windsor knots are a great exercise in manual dexterity, but also because a tie can look just as well on a woman as it does a man. I would recommend that everyone learn to tie it both from the front (as in tying someone else's) and by learning to tie it on your own neck. That way you not only have the ability to help someone else with their tie, but you are then not helpless if you wish to use one as a fashion accessory yourself.

To add to that, if you see some attractive soul that you pine for and volunteer your assistance in tying their tie, you can choose your level of comfort in how you wish to render aid. Standing if front of them and showing them is attractive in itself, but standing behind them and tying it for them with your arms wrapped around them is a very intimate and appealing gesture! Ladies, you have no idea how mind-blowing this would be to a gentleman!

Phil D. Phil D.
Jul '16

Very cool stuff Phil thanks for sharing - looking to get into single edge. If I am offline for a few days we all know what happened lol

skippy skippy
Jul '16

Don't buy Comcast

Roywhite Roywhite
Jul '16

Be careful of what you're up to. You are constantly being monitored where you go, what you buy and what restaurants, movies or attractions you may be frequenting. When you're home. What hours you work, where you work. I could go on, but I think the new generation gets my drift.

Jul '16

Guys take off your hat & pocket your phone while dining. Pull up your pants & speak clearly. Girls look down the road 20 years before you get that tattoo.

Frank Frank
Jul '16

petting animals lowers your blood pressure and stress level. I highly encourage it

skippy skippy
Jul '16

Learn good table manners.

Always say thank you. Always.

Surround yourself with people that bring out the best in you.

Really???
Jul '16

@ happy girl-stop being such a feminist. One day, sooner than you think, you'll feel good if someone refers to you as a girl.

SteveStifler SteveStifler
Jul '16

@ Phil
I used every type of razor there is. The double sided blades were all we had when I was young and yes, I had the badger brush and had to whip up a lather in a shaving mug although there were foams in a aerosol tin.
I've found after using man y many types of razors that the Quaatro is the best.The 5 blade is overkill, expensive and the head imo is too large.The 3 blade doesn't seem to be as high quality a blade.
Neutrogena shave foam ($4) and Aveeno are excellent.Haven't tried Creamo yet.
La Toya is good but hard to find.
But never shave with a straight razor they were meant to be used by someone else on you. In the days before the safety razor men would always be shaved by a barber and even in a tiny western town there was always a barber.If you lived too far out then you'd have to get your wife to shave you, If you trust her with a razor near your throat :o)
But shaving yourself with a straight razor is murder and requires a LOT of practise which is why men out in the bush grew beards. And btw, a straight razor does not shave any closer than a quaatro for example.Blades today are very sharp and disposable while the straight has to be sharpened and stropped. They are also expensive to get a good one.
After shaving use Nivea balm ($5) not alcohol which only irritates.Alcohol is from the days of straight razors where you'd get nicks and they thought it killed the bacteria.

I've always used a four in hand knot because the Windsor is just too thick and girls knew how to tie knots because their school uniforms required them
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2011/09/23/article-2040729-0E08B1B600000578-598_634x433.jpg

SteveStifler SteveStifler
Jul '16

Big GIRLS don't cry.

Don't forget to put on your Big GIRL panties each day.

Or maybe I should say WOMEN???

countryside
Jul '16

My father always told me:

Don't forget where you came from. Things can go from good to bad in a minute.

Respect everyone. From the president to those who earn an honest living scrubbing toilets. There is no difference between the two. No one is better than you and you are no better than anyone else.

When you walk into work say Good Morning. When you leave for the day say Good Night.

I've passed this advice down to my own kids and continue to remind them each day. I'm a proud parent when I have teachers and adults tell me how respectful and courteous my children are. They certainly aren't perfect but I'm at least glad they sort of listen to me...lol.

countryside
Jul '16

Hope happiest girl learns something in grade school today.

MeisterNJ MeisterNJ
Jul '16

Don't be a know it all. And don't be a Monday morning quarterback.

Tracy Tracy
Jul '16

Don't sweat the small stuff.
Remember to pay it forward.
Choose your words wisely .

Love of country -learn our rich history

Hug your children regardless of their age - let them know they are loved.

htownnewbie htownnewbie
Jul '16

Excellent advice...Countryside!!

Joyful Joyful
Jul '16

Read. A lot.

justintime justintime
Jul '16

"Read. A lot."

+1,000

And listen to people when they speak. You might learn a lot.

Calico696 Calico696
Jul '16

Ceep un lerning too spel. Tha whay cumpooters preespel evry thing, childrin wonte no how too spel....
P.S. it took longer to write the latter, phonetically, than normal, because of pre-filling the correct spelling...LOL
I love this thread. So many great ideas, for all ages.

Jul '16

Lots of good responses

skippy skippy
Jul '16

Do not like this one.

The only thing worse than failing is continuing to fail. Learn when to discontinue a pursuit.

I prefer:

Fall down eleven times, get up twelve.

Additionally:

Learn from your mistakes. Every failure teaches you something, if you are paying attention.

Listen more, talk less.

Agust Agust
Jul '16

It is nice to be important, but important to be nice.

If you see someone without a smile - give them one of yours.

wbeleno wbeleno
Jul '16

Don't believe everything you read on the internet

4catmom 4catmom
Jul '16

Thanks Joyful!

countryside
Jul '16

"The only thing worse than failing is continuing to fail. Learn when to discontinue a pursuit."

Obviously, you're not a golfer (-;

ianimal ianimal
Jul '16

So true ianimal.

MeisterNJ MeisterNJ
Jul '16

Steve Stifler----
Unusual condition you suffer from. How old were you when you began wishing people would call you a boy?

happiest girl
Jul '16

MeisterNJ ---
When I see you in the playground .... I'll speak with you through the fence.

happiest girl
Jul '16

countryside ----
For someone who wrote " respect everyone" ----- it is very disturbing that you posted a picture telling women to "shut the f*ck up".
I hope you get some help.

happiest girl
Jul '16

Wow happiest girl is pretty unhappy

Tunit
Jul '16

No happiest GIRL.....I wasn't telling WOMEN to shut up.

Ever hear of sarcasm?

It's why I separated my 2 comments.

Although, here's another piece of advice for everyone....

Don't ASSume.

countryside
Jul '16

Thank you Skippy, I really enjoyed reading this! Awesome.

bowie bowie
Jul '16

I echo my statement ---- you need help, countryside.

happiest girl
Jul '16

OMG, pot meet kettle. It would be funny, if not so sad.

Calico696 Calico696
Jul '16

OMG -- we have a spoon.

Better watch out Calico ---- countryside might tell YOU to "shut the f*ck up" too.
Yup, he's a great role model for his children.

happiest girl
Jul '16

Can you all please stop? This thread started as a totally positive list of good advice. You are ruining it with this infighting. You want to duke it out, go to the political forums.

Eperot Eperot
Jul '16

happiest girl,,

Maybe you should consider a name change, you don't seem very happy.

I can give you a few suggestions if you like.

The Man The Man
Jul '16

Think the heat is getting to people....

positive positive
Jul '16

The "Man" has spoken.
LOL

happiest girl
Jul '16

Talk to your parents and grandparents if you have the chance. I never knew my grandparents. But we had extended families.
Ask questions. Most importantly, write it down, or tape it. Learn about your family tree. Learn about the family medical history. Very important.
Ask questions now, while their minds are still sharp. There is so much you can learn from them, what it was like when they were growing up.
Keep in touch with family. My brother has Alzheimer's and has been in a facility for almost 2 years. During this time, his family visits him every day, even though he is not always aware. Even extended family and friends still visit.
What is sad though is he was the historian for our father's side of the family. But he never wrote it down. He would point to his head and say, "It's all up here". And it is all lost now.

"Don't compare your life to others, You have no idea what their journey has been like"

JrzyGirl88 JrzyGirl88
Jul '16

Don't feed the troll not worth it

skippy skippy
Jul '16

There is no cheat sheet for life. Learn, learn, learn and hope you still have time to right the wrongs...

Couldn't agree with you more, PBM.

happiest girl
Jul '16

PBM - I'm one of the very fortunate who got interested in family history while in 9th grade. Spoke with my grandparents at length. On my other side, met my great grandparents. My mom asked the questions, and my grandfather told us things I don't think he every said to anyone. Shortly after, he gave my mom the family bible of his great grandfather because we were one of the few to ask about our history. A couple years later my mom passed that on to me and today it's the most valuable thing I have.

As for advice to future generations - never believe in coincidences. It's for a reason, your job is to figure out why. ;-)

"Don't compare your life to others, You have no idea what their journey has been like"

I vote this the top life secret in the thread so far! A little of empathy goes a long way toward understanding the perspective of others.

justintime justintime
Jul '16

I second everything PBM and GC just wrote about family history and coincidences.

All those stories I heard while very young before I caught the genealogy bug I wish I knew later, partly so I didn't have to "refind" what they already knew and had experienced.

As far as coincidences, as they say, things usually happen for a reason. You meet people or events guide you one way, you should pay attention to that. I don't know whether it's reincarnated souls meeting again, or some kind of "cosmic synchronicity" or what that brings people together, perhaps for an instant or whatever, but I've also learned one shouldn't overthink things and then repeat the same mistakes that have happened in the past, because the opportunity may have then passed that could have lead to something great, whether that be love, friendship, job opportunity, etc. Sometimes you only get one chance to do it right and enter the doorway before it slams right in your face, unlikely to ever be opened again.

Phil D. Phil D.
Jul '16

Agreed profound stuff guys thanks for sharing !

skippy skippy
Jul '16

Stop what you are doing, remove your hat, stand at attention and place your hand on your heart during the Pledge of Allegiance or the National Anthem is played.

Really???
Jul '16

Just shared this one on Facebook:

It is OK for you to believe what you believe.....It is not OK, however, for you to insist that everyone else believe the same as you..

Joyful Joyful
Jul '16

Don't confuse need with WANT.

Thanks JIT, wish I had learned that at a much younger age..

JrzyGirl88 JrzyGirl88
Jul '16

Trust your gut, if you're not sure. Evolution gave us the ability, to survive tough decisions in life.

Jul '16

Try as hard as you can and give 100% but if you come in second you still lost.

The Man The Man
Jul '16

while that is true - you have gained valuable experience if in nothing more than your own limits and expertise - never be afraid to try your best at something, you may just find something you enjoy or are good at.

skippy skippy
Jul '16

Happiest Girl = your comments on this forum are a dead giveaway that it's YOU who needs the help!

countryside
Jul '16

If you can't pay cash don't buy it. Credit cards are bad news. You don't need that new dirt bike or that new 500$ purse.

"Bite your tongue." (Especially around your in-laws )

"Just because you have silenced a man doesn't mean you have changed his mind."
(Also good when in-laws are giving unwanted advice)

Not everything you think needs to be said out loud.
It's good to pause and think about possible repercussions.

And " if you can't say anything nice,
Don't say anything at all."

"Don't judge a person until you have walked 1000 miles in his shoes."

Older Mom Older Mom
Jun '18

buy life insurance now while you are healthy

skippy skippy
Jun '18

Avoid the llama.

You catch more flies with honey than you do with vinegar. Be kind and generous

BusinessGuy1984
Jun '18

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.