Bowtie cinemas sold in Mansfield, Succasunna, Parsippany

I was just down at Mansfield bowtie cinemas and if you have any reward points you need to use them by Tuesday or they are gone. New owners take over Wednesday.

Just Saying.... Just Saying....
Jul '16

Have any proof?

Bug3
Jul '16

Hmmm, checking their website, I see that they only have movies listed at Mansfield & Roxbury until Wednesday and Washington Twp. until Thursday, whereas Parsippany has listings well after that, so if anything I'd think they be closing those slower outliers, but not the one in Parsippany, which has a better population density and probably better business.

I don't think I could use my 900 or so points before then if they are going to close. If they do I'll have to go to the Clairidge in Montclair for the Art and Foreign films at least until I use up the number of free tickets I seem to have.

Phil D. Phil D.
Jul '16

The proof is that's what the staff is telling people when they purchase tickets at the window. Just letting people know....

Jul '16

Anyone know who the new owners are?

Calico696 Calico696
Jul '16

+1 to Calico, who is the new owner? AMC? Regal?

1988LJ 1988LJ
Jul '16

Can't find any acquisition info online so far, though I still think it's Washington Twp. they're selling with the other two, rather than Parsippany. That's based mainly from their online schedules ending midweek and Parsippany's continuing and the fact that Wash Twp. is closer to the other two. I could see Bowtie selling the three off. It was really busy in Mansfield on Tuesday night now that school's out, but it usually isn't that busy there or in Succasunna on $6 Tuesday when school is in.

Of course it's more likely that I'm wrong about which locations are being sold than the statement from an employee of the theater, but I'm just mentioning what seems to make more sense to me.

Phil D. Phil D.
Jul '16

Hopefully whoever bought it does a few upgrades.

CraftBeerBob CraftBeerBob
Jul '16

Their web site has no info and their last press release was years ago!

Too funny - I forgot that the Washington Twp. Theater is in the Paramus area. It fooled me once before when I was trying to find a flick showing on very few screens. I guess Parsippany it is then! That sucks too for sure, especially because it would be easy to catch a movie there on the weekend, then drop by my parents' house afterwards.

Phil D. Phil D.
Jul '16

I just talked to someone who works at Mansfield... Cineplois is buying them out

Jul '16

Cinepolis....sorry for the prior
misspelling.

Jul '16

I don't think that's right... Cinépolis is a Mexican cinema (I saw some on my trip to Mexico back in college), aka Spanish-language...there's Hispanics around here, but not enough to open a whole cinema just for them.

1988LJ 1988LJ
Jul '16

It's who is purchasing the theater....I am 100% positive. It is true. They also have locations in California and Florida. Call and ask....it's what I was told by a manager there in addition to 2 staff members.

Jul '16

This is the description of the one in California.

Swanky movie theater chain with reclining leather seats, high-end eats, cocktails & waiter service.

I could dig that

Jul '16

Just Saying.... is right, they do have locations in California and Florida:

http://www.cinepolisusa.com/

It's not too much of a stretch to believe a move towards the North would be in their plans. There's only 7 locations in CA and only 4 in FLA, so purchasing 3 in NJ would be a nice start for them. They operate mostly "Luxury" cinemas, so I imagine that would mean the upgrades CraftBeerBob mentioned would be in the works as well. Let's hope so.

It's not a Spanish-language cinema either, but they play all the current releases that everyone else does. Just check their "Coming Soon" page.

Phil D. Phil D.
Jul '16

Bring on the reclining seats and the 4DX ! Bowtie didn't even oil the old squeaky seats at Mansfield .

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cin%C3%A9polis

Zombo Zombo
Jul '16

Should be interesting. Hope they change the carpeting. It still is the same from when it was Clearview.

Mansfield mama Mansfield mama
Jul '16

Well crap. I have a bunch of movie passes that will go unused now.

smilingbecs smilingbecs
Jul '16

Smilingbecs...You might want to check about the movie passes... I know that the reward points end today...not sure about anything else. I asked about $6 Tuesdays and the free kids movies on Tuesday/Wednesday mornings in the summer...the manager I spoke to was not sure if they will continue or not.

Jul '16

Unless they can compete with the AMC in price, IMAX offering, and audio quality, then screw it..no matter what language the film is in.

emaxxman emaxxman
Jul '16

For now 6 dollar movie Tuesdays will continue. The rewards points will not be continued that us the only thing known for sure. The rest of the changes will be decided after evaluating the demographics if the area.

Yay for $6 Tuesdays:)

Blackcat Blackcat
Jul '16

Still can't get over that AMC Theaters (American Multi-Cinema) is owned by the Chinese.....a majority-owned subsidiary of Chinese conglomerate Dalian Wanda Group from a takeover deal in 2012.

This Country is slooowly gettting bought out folks...BIG time!

Roberts Roberts
Jul '16

I don't care if it's a foreign subsidiary or not, the Rockaway AMC provides the best viewing experiencing (at any price) and has cheaper prices than any theater in the area. Bowtie (or whatever the new theater owner is) needs to invest in their property, get with the times, and compete.

emaxxman emaxxman
Jul '16

http://www.bowtiecinemas.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/sale-slide-mansfield.jpg

How cowardly of Bowtie to announce that , stiffing their loyal customers with useless reward points after they are already out the door . At least the new owners have the good sense to stay open during the summer movie season before doing renovations . Not surprised these theater chains get sold at high prices to foreign interests since that is the way business is done these days . AMC was owned by an affiliate of J.P. Morgan Chase, so no big surprise there . If you don't like it there are ways to keep extra money out of the theater owner's pockets .

1. Don't buy any of their overpriced concessions . Believe it or not that is where they make most of their profit . A dollar box of movie candy bought at a store will do the job good enough .

2. See a movie early on in it's run when the studio is taking in a higher percentage of the box office gross . A movie may open with the movie studio taking in the higher percentage of say 84% to 16% in the first week . Six weeks later that split can be 35% to 65% in the theater's favor . Although it might be just a matter of time until foreign interests buy up all the major movie studios .

3. Go to less costly morning matinees if you can or discount days , usually Tuesday which is traditionally a slow movie day .

4. Use senior discounts and children discounts when they're available - if your 16 year old can pass for 12 who's to say they aren't ? For a senior discount example a few of us went to see Fury Road last year in XD 3D at Cinemark Stroud Mall at the senior discount of 10.50 each . A fellow retiree met us there , didn't know about the discount and paid 13.50 . He was too stubborn to show his ticket stub and his I.D.to get reimbursed after the movie . Hell I told him , if you're going to throw money away throw it my way !

Zombo Zombo
Jul '16

I "Think"you can still use the reward points if you want to travel

Brad2
Jul '16

I just received the email from Bow-Tie. A shame they waited until the last minute to let us know. Sometimes, when businesses are bought out, there is a confidentiality clause that prevents them from making these announcements until the last minute. I'm not saying that's the case, but it could be.

I loved the Bow-Tie Cinema. Maybe it's because I'm relatively new to the area, but it had a great, old-time, down-to-earth feel far different from the monstrosities in my old area (Bergen Cty).

Just because Cinepolis bought it does not mean they are going to revamp the place. I'll believe it when I see it. I wonder if they will raise the senior citizen age.

SquirrelGirl SquirrelGirl
Jul '16

If you really want an old time movie experience check out The Roxy in Northampton PA with it's neon marquee and 3 dollar admission . Except for 6 dollar Tuesday the 9-12 dollar adult admission charged at Mansfield Bow Tie for it's small screens , terrible sound , low back creaky seats , and wore out carpet was and is a sick joke - the Ledgewood Bowtie is cheaper and more up to date. Bow Tie has 59 theaters in it's chain and was bought by a huge chain with an established reputation for luxury theaters . So if they decide not to renovate I imagine they will shut it down .

If it were up to me I'd keep both locations open just long enough to build a 20-24 theater mega-plex somewhere in the area. The reclining seats , limited release movies currently only seen in cities , art house/foreign films , late run discount theater , and of course the 4DX theater with fine food and drink available at all venues . It would not only get all the customers in the area , it would steal them away from AMC and Regal Lopat/Easton too ! Competitive pricing between AMC and Cinepolis would keep the prices down . China and Mexico owned theaters run the American way .

http://www.roxytheaternorthampton.com/photos.htm

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bow_Tie_Cinemas

Zombo Zombo
Jul '16

So far it looks as though it's a change in ownership and name only. The description is the same as what Bowtie had written. Little do they know apparently, that it's not technically "IN" "the cozy town of Hackettstown, NJ" - LOL:

http://www.cinepolisusa.com/mansfield.aspx

I Definitely DO like they way they have the movies listed with the show times, synopsis, etc. That's much better than the little "box" with just movie names and times that sometimes didn't even link to the trailer properly.

Phil D. Phil D.
Jul '16

Zombo, It is flat nuts to drive an hour to Northhampton to see a movie. It costs you two hours and 100 miles wear & tear not to mention 3 or 4 gallons of gas.

Wonder if the new place will increase the prices for the movies. Hope not. Might go back to Regal in Phillipsburg.

Jul '16

Prices, so far, look the same- $12 for adult and $9 for child( maybe senior).
Still $6 Tuesday's....
People are pissed about the "no free kids movies" continuing...We were looking more forward to seeing The Sandlot on the big screen, but frankly, we've seen it a jillion times already so no big deal.

Blackcat Blackcat
Jul '16

Thanks for the prices Blackcat.

Jul '16

Pocono Community Theatre, Stroudsburg .. Bit of a drive, but 3 screens, a non-profit, cafe ...much more enjoyable experience than the bigger cinemas.

Nature Lover Nature Lover
Jul '16

Sorry EVV if I wasn't clear about the Roxy theater . I thought it would be a fun experience to take the family (kids or grand children) to show them what a 1950s era movie theater was like - much like people do with Becky's Drive In at Walnutport PA . I didn't mean to imply it as a weekly movie destination . Although I used to commute to Allentown every day so it really doesn't seem all that far to me .

Zombo Zombo
Jul '16

Zombo, Sorry for my too quick interpretation (or misinterpretation). EVV

It's becoming http://www.cinepolisusa.com/Index.aspx?nl=1

Trance-Master Trance-Master
Jul '16

The new owners are Cinopolis Cinemas. The are really big out in Mexico and California. Was there Tuesday and staff says they will be renovating to upscale leather seating as well as upgrades on the concession foods. The price made be a bit higher though. Hope this helps.

Thanks MZ for the update. Hope the prices don't go up too high. People will go elsewhere to get a cheaper price.

Jul '16

how do you look up movie times? Bowtie or the new owner?

LibertyThinker LibertyThinker
Jul '16

The Cinepolis website or Fandango work well .

http://www.fandango.com/07840_movietimes?mode=general&q=07840

Zombo Zombo
Jul '16

LibertyThinker

Just use the website I posted 2 days ago for Manfield times:

If you want Parsippany or Succasunna, just look under "Locations" at that link and click on them.

Phil D. Phil D.
Jul '16

I just renewed my gold criterion club card at the end of last month and received no prior notice that the bowtie cinemas were sold. I didn't even get a refund.I should just go to AMC from now on.

Amy Guerin Amy Guerin
Jul '16

Does anyone know if the gift card's carry over? I just got a bunch :/

Bob Steel Bob Steel
Jul '16

It doesn't look like Cinepolis took over all the Bow Tie theaters in NJ - they probably didn't want any location with less than 10 theaters . I'm not saying go there just click on one of the links below and call one of them to inquire about a refund . Just pick the closest location ( that's not Hackettstown /Roxbury/Parsippany) if you have to travel there to pick up your refund if it was offered . Good luck .

http://www.bowtiecinemas.com/location-by-state/new-jersey/

Zombo Zombo
Jul '16

I, Like Bob Steel have gift cards for Bowtie... anyone know if they are still honoring them?

Lisab Lisab
Jul '16

I just asked and they said as of right now the are not honoring bow tie gift cards but are trying to work it out whatever that means. They happily sold me the gift cards even as they knew they were being bought out. I guess we'll have to go to bridgewater or madison

Suzy20
Jul '16

I was there today - Tuesday is still $6. day - though I didn't see it publicized anywhere -

4catmom 4catmom
Jul '16

It is somewhat publicized on the website. Go to Cinepolis, then pick the date (a Tuesday) click on the time of the movie you want to see, and the price is shown.

Clyde Potts Clyde Potts
Jul '16

We saw Star Trek-Beyond last night, still $6 and a GREAT movie!

They will be honoring BowTie gift cards until the end of the year. Sign posted on the door when I was there today.

Weezie Weezie
Jul '16

Thank you. That is the right thing to do.

Jul '16

Now I am confused as I got an email that they will not honor my gift cards. I emailed them a week ago. I guess I could try.

Christine Christine
Jul '16

I was just in there today and they are honoring Bow tie gift cards until the end of Dec! I used mine with no issues!

Minnie
Aug '16

Sounds like some employees don't know and some do know. Going to try it one night and see. I have 2 left so will definitely have a chance to use them by December. Thanks!

Christine Christine
Aug '16

Christine

They should all know by now, since they had a notice about it posted on their entry doors when I went there yesterday.

Phil D. Phil D.
Aug '16

Hey there folks ~ I'm really confused. Is the theater closed while they change ownership?

Theater is definitely open...

4catmom 4catmom
Aug '16

I just picked up my son and his friends from the movie theater so YES, it's open.

countryside
Aug '16

I want with my husband today to see a movie. They did honor my Bowtie Cinema Gift Card, which saved us $12.
I was hoping to see new carpeting but that still have the OLD CLEARVIEW logo carpeting. Very tacky in my opinion!!!. Please think about updating the carpet.

Oct '16

They are honoring the bow tie gift cards only until the end of the year. It's posted on the door.

laughalittlemore laughalittlemore
Oct '16

Yes. I saw the sign on the door. It is only fair that they honor them.

Oct '16

Went to Mansfield theaters last sunday. Still horrible seats, poor ventilation, sticky floors and worn carpets. Several seats were broken and covered. This place is no competition for Rockaway AMC. They really need to clean the place out and do a total renovation. They also need to get rid of the little theater with a screen not much bigger than my flatscreen. A big rip off there.

boobalaa boobalaa
Oct '16

Did Cinepolis ever renovate inside ......... new seats or anything?
Do they have a loyalty card like Bowtie did?

happiest girl
Aug '17

I know they raised prices

Bug3
Aug '17

No renovations were down to the Mansfield theatre to my knowledge (was last there about 2 weeks ago).

On a Saturday evening it was not crowded at all. I wonder if there is long term viability in that location.

D-ManPV D-ManPV
Aug '17

They don't have a loyalty card.

Living life boldly.. Living life boldly..
Aug '17

My husband and I stopped going to this theater a few years ago because when Cinepolis came in they did away with the rewards card and changed their brand of popcorn which tastes horrible. We now go to Regal in Phillipsburg. They're theaters are much nicer, cleaner, and have rewards....and the popcorn is much better!

Tigerfan Tigerfan
Aug '17

The place is dump... high prices... search your bags so you cant bring at least your own drinks... until they fix it I will not return... I go to AMC in Rockaway - cheaper... better screens...

LibertyThinker LibertyThinker
Aug '17

Cinecrapolis in Mansfield is the only theater I've even been to where the noise from the ventilation system fans overpower the soundtrack of the movie at times . A ridiculous condition to have in a supposedly modern movie theater . Maybe they should change their name to Ridiculous ?

97XBAM 97XBAM
Aug '17

Just there recently and I agree that their popcorn is AWFUL One of the main reasons I go to the movies is for that guilty pleasure...

Not Scott
Aug '17

What is interesting is that the Cinepolis chain specializes in high end modern theaters. I am shocked they made this investment without putting a dime into the facility yet. Hopefully that changes.

Aug '17

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.