Explosions at Istanbul airport

There are reports of at least two explosions and possibly gunfire at Atatürk airport in Istanbul, Turkey.

Rumors:
There are reports of a third explosion. The location is unclear but is believed to be the subway station at the Airport. There are reports of an attacker remaining within the Airport. At least 32 dead, 88 wounded

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/06/28/explosions-and-gunfire-at-istanbul-ataturk-airport-injuries-repo/

skippy skippy
Jun '16

the ISIS bombers did not receive enough hugs and love, that's why they committed those acts. our own AG said so.

Joe Friday Joe Friday
Jun '16

Attacks in Turkey, I think automatically of the PKK, not ISIS...

ianimal ianimal
Jun '16

Joe Friday good one

Ollie Ollie
Jun '16

Lynch should be fired. While what she said was OK about the power of the LGBT community, she left out "and kill all the terrorists." Fire-able omission from someone who obviously has proofing and editing issues.

All based on first reports, could be wrong....

This one looks like ISIS, a group of 35 ISIS soldiers were sent to Turkey for Ramadan.

The airport had a double-ring perimeter with two checkpoints. First killer was diversion in parking lot, second killer blew the bomb next to the first check point breaking the glass wall, third killer went through the broken wall around the check point. These guys were trained.

Hard to harden all soft targets against this type of attack; have to stop it before it starts.

Airport is open today.

God bless the security guys shooting the killers and the one who tackled one forcing him to detonate the bomb at the loss of the security hero's life.

Turkey stands against ISIS. Obviously ISIS could care less whether innocent victims are Muslim or not.

Initially ISIS was a land grab, there were stealing land-based resources (including hostages) and building a country. As the world descends on them ending land expansion and shrinking their area of operation, ISIS is changing tactics launching a global terrorist onslaught, either trained like Paris or Istanbul or inspired like San Bernardino or Orlando.

Need to keep stepping up Syria and Iraq attacks, need progress in Libya and Nigeria. Can't let them squeeze out of Syria into there.

Europe needs to step up intelligence information sharing between nations. Need EU-CIA and FBI. England should want to join...... Not much has happened since Brussels and neither being in the EU or not being in the EU is going to help unless Europe shares info like the US does across our state lines.

strangerdanger strangerdanger
Jun '16

This world scares me nowadays, leaving me truly terrified for my children/future grand children.

Dallas Dallas
Jun '16

And I should add: quit providing training and recruiting tools. On this last one, the on-the-scene how-to-do-it video was released in hours. Shows one guy getting shot and remembering that last training lesson --- push the button. Do we need to support the now-proven importance of that lesson?

Within hours of the assault we know the numbers, the battle plan, where it succeeded or failed, etc. etc. We got aerial shots, floor plans, route maps, and live video. So do they. And they get great footage of what they will call their hero acting most hero-like in their eyes. Big video moral boost for fighters losing the land-based part of the war. Would-be bombers can see how famous they can be and how to make the most out of using the cameras. New training lesson: remember boys, smile for the camera. Makeup!!!

Couldn't we make it a little harder without losing our precious freedom of speech?

Now when I was on 'the other side" during the Vietnam War it was great to get the almost-live feeds, updates, and up-to-the-minute facts. Made our point(s) much more poignant with video support.

Jun '16

Me too Dallas. If the terrorists are losing as the president and John Kerry say I'd hate to see what they would do if they were winning.

Ollie Ollie
Jun '16

You know Kerry said it well, probably not the first, but perhaps the most recent.

We are winning the land war. Not over, will take time, but the tide is in our favor (and our allies. and the Russians, and Assad).

For terrorism, we have to be perfect 7x24, 365 days a year. They have to be right for 10 minutes. Actually they only have to be roughly right for 10 minutes. The deck is stacked and we have to be that much better in oh so many ways.

Jun '16

strangerdanger - What do you make of the fact that those responsible for the terrorist attacks in Istanbul are from former Soviet Union colonies like Uzbekistan? How do we navigate a war against all the terrorist attacks, not being just from ISIS?

DannyC DannyC
Jun '16

How do we navigate a war against all the terrorist attacks, not being just from ISIS?

We don't. We worry about ourselves. What happened in France and now Turkey while extremely tragic is not our problem. The attacks here on US soil have been from home grown wannabe terrorists. Their attacks were not ordered or funded from ISIS. ISIS has not reached our borders. except for online. Protect our borders, restrict who comes in and work with the Muslim community at home to help identify the home grown radicals and we do our job.

We can't police the world.

darwin darwin
Jun '16

Denis, you have two questions in there. One of these sub-humans may have had Uzbekistan heritage, one Russian and one Kyrgyzstan ---- but they came from Raqqa, Syria to Turkey. ISIS has no nation and recruits sub-humans from where-ever they ooze. That's why we need to make them go dark. But these guys, independent of heritage, were ISIS from Syria.

For our war on terrorism, independent of source:
Do not show footage of the attack --- that's called training films
Do not provide tape of pledges of allegiance --- that's called morale boosters
Shut their nets down, cyber bomb their servers and pc's. Come on hackers, do some good. Do not let them create their message, do not let them recruit on line.

I disagree with Darwin on just worrying about ourselves. That's not who we are Darwin. We need to show the EU the value of intelligence systems that permeate the boarders of our own states and the boarders of our allies. We need to share security tips on why our airports are safer than Egypt's. If we make them safe, that makes us safer.

I also disagree about our terrorism just being homegrown for us. San Bernardino was not quite 100% home-grown and certainly inspired. Something went wrong with that Visa application. Not quite sure where it will end up, but Orlando at minimum was claimed as inspired and may turn out to be really inspired, or at least partially versus some gender-conflicted cop out. In any case, no quite home-grown.

I agree with the rest of what Darwin said plus make background checks universal for all gun transactions and clamp down on the mistakes that didn't flag the Orlando shooter for immediate surveillance. Ditto on the clamp down for whatever mistakes were found out of San Bernardino. Many of these mass shooters purchase their WMDs pretty recent to the shooting so flagging them at POP might help us stop them before they rampage.

And keep the pressure on the wars against ISIS in Syria and Iraq making extra effort to rapidly pound them spectacularly post any sign of cowardly killing of innocents abroad. Send a message back like this: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3667263/America-strikes-airstrikes-kill-250-ISIS-fighters-outside-Fallujah-24-hours-attack-Istanbul-s-airport-left-42-dead.html

yippee ki yay mother isil

Jun '16

" Protect our borders, restrict who comes in and work with the Muslim community at home to help identify the home grown radicals and we do our job." - darwin

+1 darwin, that's what i've advocated for along time, sadly a vote for hillary will keep our borders wide open like they have been under obama's watch,

BrotherDog BrotherDog
Jun '16

the days of policing the world have to come to an end. there is too much going on within our own borders that we need to focus on and get fixed. the sin of it all, with all the policing and good the US has done, we are still hated just as much. so why bother? i'm not a big supporter of Trump but when his whole angle is to make America great again, it's hard to argue with that. speaking for myself, anyway.

Joe Friday Joe Friday
Jun '16

How can you say borders are wide open? Illegal immigrant count has fallen each year.

I am sure you can find all sorts of ugly stories about criminals released, porous boarders, etc. but most folks who tally the numbers agree the total count has been dropping since 2008.

Deportations are also at an all time high although I am sure they are not outing the folks you want to go.

Jun '16

SD I guess you are so used to our back and forth, but the post was from Dannyc, not me.

Denis Denis
Jun '16

FBI Director James B. Comey said that the FBI investigation has shown that the perpetrators were "homegrown violent extremists" who were "inspired by foreign terrorist organizations."

he was a US citizen born in this country. Again home grown.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2015_San_Bernardino_attack#Self-radicalization_of_the_attackers

darwin darwin
Jun '16

We need to share security tips on why our airports are safer than Egypt's. If we make them safe, that makes us safer

who says they are?

only way to stop an attack like the one that was carried out in Turkey's airport is to have check points at the road entrance at the airport. Check every car/taxi/bus that comes into the main driveway of the airport. As soon as you pull into the airport off the highway, you hit a car check point. don't allow any car/bus/taxi into airport loop with out checking checked. how much fun would that be. But that's the only way to assure the airport is "safe"

security check points only make sure nothing gets onto the planes, there is nothing in place to prevent shooting/bombing at front of airports.

darwin darwin
Jun '16

Moving security points just pushes the "funnel" to a different location. Terrorists don't care if they blow people up waiting inside a terminal vs. waiting at the parking lot entrance.

The "terror" isn't due to the damaged baggage claim conveyors, so the "airport" itself isn't the target.

Mark Mc. Mark Mc.
Jun '16

my point is they want to the most damage possible. blowing up a bomb at a checkpoint would not have the same amount of damage/causalities as doing it in front of/inside an airport.

darwin darwin
Jun '16

"who says they are? " Everyone. Egypt's were not up to par especially in hiring practices. Post Egypt we found a few instances of this type of error and plugged that gap quickly. Sharing information and taking advantage of what's shared keeps us safer. Keeping everything to ourselves helps the terrorists.

Israel's are safer than ours.

Jun '16

Apparently the military does security in that airport - that's probably why they had to do it outside - big difference than an unarmed tsa agent

skippy skippy
Jun '16

At least there is some intelligent discussion on fighting terrorism. Thanks. We need it. Our CIA says that we have an imminent problem, HERE, despite POTUS inaction.

DannyC DannyC
Jun '16

"Our CIA says that we have an imminent problem, HERE, despite POTUS inaction."

I think you meant to say "BECAUSE OF" POTUS inaction... or perhaps "despite POTUS claiming the opposite" LOL

The only people that believe Obama anymore are those who are voting for Hillary- even BEFORE Trump took the primaries. But then, you can't fix stupid.

JeffersonRepub JeffersonRepub
Jun '16

"Terrorism" today is just another word for the violence that has plagued man kind since we were in caves. The difference today is the emotional attachment we collectively give the *word* itself.

This is just another case of angry people lashing out. The TSA wouldn't have stopped this, nor would any other "prohibitive" action that some crazy law maker suggests we implement.

What would stop this is an understanding of WHY those people are lashing out and taking corrective action to address whatever the fundamental problem is. But as is typical in today's world, the primary solution is to throw government force around. Will we ever realize that option is rarely the best course of action? Bottom line is that it truly is *impossible* to prevent this kind of thing, but if we want to temper it we need to truly understand tolerance, allow people to do as they choose, and as long as they are not hurting anyone just let them be.

But no, as humans it is in our nature to push our personal values onto others, and with the force of governments behind us we will always have to deal with the consequences of the "sameness" that we seek.

justintime justintime
Jul '16

"What would stop this is an understanding of WHY those people are lashing out and taking corrective action to address whatever the fundamental problem is."

I do understand JIT. They are sub human and must be erased from the Earth. There is no redemption for ISIS.

Now, if you are talking about wannabees and those thinking of converting, the source is probably disenfranchisement mostly do to poverty, a lack of opportunities, and a poor economy. Fix world poverty...

The ISIS cause is a sham to provide cover for it's real attraction: brutality, torture, enslavement, and a complete loss of what it means to be human. That's the real attraction.

For those who join up; no redemption. Just a heartfelt effort to bring them closer to God and whatever their fate in the afterlife will be. God speed them on their way.

Jul '16

Check out this link to see what's happening almost real time.

Be warned, the video's can be chilling

http://isis.liveuamap.com/

Jul '16

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.