Robbery at Gunpoint in town

This place is getting bad

A man was robbed at gunpoint Monday night in a Hackettstown parking lot, and town police are asking for residents' help as they track down the culprit. Officers were called about 11:05 p.m. for the robbery that occurred late Monday in the municipa...
http://www.nj.com/warren/index.ssf/2016/06/armed_robber_strikes_in_hackettstown_parking_lot_p.html

Bug3
Jun '16

hey shadog and MAN - you ok? this is right by you guys

skippy skippy
Jun '16

Again a violent crime and no description provided. I wonder if they will say it will be released after further investigation, like they did with the home invasion, which never happened, or the armed robbery at the gas station which they never did. I'm not a detective but seems to me the sooner you release the information, the more likely someone will be arrested.

Denis Denis
Jun '16

The link also mentions a home invasion on sharp st june 19!!!!

formerfan formerfan
Jun '16

This is terrible. Anytime I don't see a description of the assailant, I have to assume the liberal media is protecting certain groups.

Talleyho
Jun '16

Wonder if there is a connection

http://www.lehighvalleylive.com/warren-county/index.ssf/2016/06/man.html

Darrin Darrin
Jun '16

Talleyho since you're so open-minded perhaps you can contact the liberal Hackettstown Police Department and ask them for the description since they were the source of the information.
https://www.facebook.com/hackettstownpd/posts/1120823871307210

I stand corrected. Still, you have to wonder about the motivation behind not releasing a description.

Talleyho
Jun '16

Maybe because they don't have a description. Ever think of that.

BeerFan BeerFan
Jun '16

Talleyho - it would be helpful but I don't think we've received a description from the home invasion a week or so ago. Hopefully one will follow soon.

Let's start here: was it a man or a woman? Do you think they might know that, Beerfan?

Talleyho
Jun '16

Maybe that's part of the problem Talleyho....these days it can be hard to tell:)

@bonv, I actually did ask when the home invasion occurred on their their Facebook page, and the response was "the description will be realsed after further investigation. Over a week later no arrests and no discription. Obviously the victim in that case saw his assailants, as I am sure the person who had gun pointed at them today did. It's a legitimate question as to why they don't provide descriptions, that has never been answered.

Denis Denis
Jun '16

These days it can be hard to tell ... they used to say that in 1968, too.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Jun '16

This robbery has something else to it. Something isn't right.

Christine Christine
Jun '16

Yes it's a big conspiracy.

CraftBeerBob CraftBeerBob
Jun '16

I don't understand...the robber was the person that needed vehicle help? Or did someone approach two people? Regardless...ridiculous there is zero description of any sort. In order to catch people...if in fact there is someone to catch....you need info asap.

Lives in PV Lives in PV
Jun '16

"This is terrible. Anytime I don't see a description of the assailant, I have to assume the liberal media is protecting certain groups."

What group? Men? No matter the race, it's always the men doing this kind of violent crime, isn't it?!

ChristIsRisen ChristIsRisen
Jun '16

Ever had a gun pointed at you? Hard to look at anything else but the barrel - in addition eye witness descriptions are inherently falable. It's very possible there is no description

skippy skippy
Jun '16

ChristisRisen, you miss the whole point.

Talleyho
Jun '16

No, I don't miss the fact that men - regardless of race or ethnicity - are always the ones committing the violent crimes. Sorry if that's too politically incorrect for you.

ChristIsRisen ChristIsRisen
Jun '16

@skippy actaully I did have a gun pointed at me when I was a teenager living in NY during an attempted robbery, and I can tell you to this day I can still picture the guy.

This isn't a one time thing here. As I previously mentioned, an armed robbery at the gas station including a beating. No description ever given, no one ever caught. Home invasion a week ago with an assault no description, no arrest made yet. Today and armed robbery and no description. Very hard for any reasonable person to believe that in these 3 incidents the victims were not able to give a credible description.

Denis Denis
Jun '16

I get you Denis and you're Blessed with better recall than most - I don't dispute the fact that they may be related at all -but you can't dispute the fact that is a scary situation and can't fault the victim from being fixated on the weapon. I think that's a plausible response - from a law enforcement perspective what if you have 3 entirely different descriptions? How do you correlate that - it's entirely possible they don't have a solid description of the actor to issue that forth. Also in all reality it's probably been thrown up to the wc prosecutors investigative unit and not much has flowed back to the detective bureau

skippy skippy
Jun '16

Skippy I don't mean to suggest that the 3 are related at all. I don't think that's the case. I just have a hard time believing that they couldn't get a description in all 3 cases, where there was a victim, assailant interaction. Honestly if I had to speculate, and that's all I can do since no information is forthcoming, my guess would be the edict to not release suspect information comes from higher up the chain, but it's no coincidence that it keeps happening.

Denis Denis
Jun '16

I hope they catch the gun that did this.

Mark Mc. Mark Mc.
Jun '16

They should ban men. That'll take take care of it.

JeffersonRepub JeffersonRepub
Jun '16

It was odd to see a sexis comment instead of a racist one a first for me. But you are right it was probably a male. And for what? My guess. Herion but there are still people who think there isn't a drug problem in town, and I bet this is only gonna become more prevalent over time.

Can't make this stuff up, H-Town is going in the right direction...

There's something fishy about this - like the guy on Moore St last year that got stabbed in the foot - turned out to be someone he knew...

Grizzly Adams
Jun '16

I agree grizzly...

Lives in PV Lives in PV
Jun '16

You won't have to worry JR :>)

Yeah, no description, no request for public support, no follow up (I blame the press for this) all makes strangers look like danger to me......

Wish they could ask for our support or give us info to make us feel safer, not less safe.

strangerdanger strangerdanger
Jun '16

lol my comment about it being a man or woman was not an anti-man comment. It was an illustration that SOME description could have been given. Unless a ghost or a Fuedal Japan-era ninja snuck up and picked his pocket, the victim has to know at LEAST what sex the perp was.

Instead of telling us the victim was a male (which was probably an attempt to calm the town-I mean, what if that was a woman robbed at gunpoint--frenzy) tell us SOMETHING, anything, about the perp.

Talleyho
Jun '16

Define always - at all times; on all occasions

This person believes a female has never ever commited a violent crime. Kind of takes away credibility.

It more of a statistical thing than a sexist comment. Most violent crimes with guns are young men, woman tend to use less direct weapons. Same with suicide. Woman are more likely than men to use poison or overdosing while men are more likely to use a gun.

Sirya
Jun '16

I don't know why they don't give a description but I wonder if it isnt because they would rather investigate what the victim said WITHOUT tipping off the perp. (dig that cop lingo).

I mean perhaps they want them to stick around thinking the cops have NO clue as to who did it....rather then them seeing their full description with a sketch of them...and them getting the hell out of Dodge????

I don't know, just throwing that out there.

littlelu littlelu
Jun '16

The search should be simple... it's obviously somebody with an FID card and NJ carry permit. I mean, criminals wouldn't break the law, right?

Mark Mc. Mark Mc.
Jun '16

this sounds like one of those set ups you hear on the side of a road. Car is "broken down" on the side of the road and when a good Samaritan pulls over to assist, the "broken down" car's partner comes out of the woods and robs him. That or the driver tries to scam the good Samaritan for "gas" $.

darwin darwin
Jun '16

@littlelu, that's ridiculous. Who ever did it knows the victim saw him. Even if that was the reason behind it, which it isn't, how did policy work out in the gas station robbery, or home invasion? "perps" still at large. Public still in the dark.

Denis Denis
Jun '16

" criminals wouldn't break the law, right?" isn't that the definition of criminal? law breaker?

but even if he had a fid and a carry permit, do you have all that time to wait to get the data search completed? I mean the NRA made sure it would take weeks, maybe months to find out..... And all that paper and phone calls..... It's not like you can just push a button and the data comes out. besides, he probably just drove to South Carolina and bought it in a Burger King parking lot from a fast-speaking Yankee :>)

Jun '16

We don't need the description of the robber as Police don't want this to used as a recruitment tool for others to engage in similar activities.

kb2755 kb2755
Jun '16

what KB wants is live video feeds titled: how to rob at gunpoint without leaving a description.

Jun '16

Denis.....just throwing it out there.......I'm not all knowing.......although I guess you are with a comment like "which it isn't".......

littlelu littlelu
Jun '16

littlelu, not all knowing, the theory posed just defies logic.

Denis Denis
Jun '16

SD - There are only ~1,000 carry permits in the whole state of NJ. I'm pretty sure a database can query 1,000 records in milliseconds.

But you missed the whole point of my post... obviously he/she DOESN'T have a carry permit but that did nothing to stop him/her from carrying a weapon to commit a crime.

It's good to see that how I purchase my firearms irks you so much that you've now included a "joke" in at least 3 or 4 separate posts... sounds like I should go buy a few more, maybe I'll pick the next one up in the parking lot of a "gun free" business (not that there are too many of them down here). Now, where's the nearest Starbucks...

Mark Mc. Mark Mc.
Jun '16

Denis, it doesn't defy my logic, as I agree with littlelu. If it was my investigation, and I had a good lead, why would I need the public's help when it could jeopardize the apprehension of the suspect? Just let the police do their jobs. If they wanted the public's assistance, they'd provide a description and ask for leads.

Tracy Tracy
Jun '16

SD the NJSP firearms unit has a 24 hour a day fax line and phone number for law enforcement agencies - remember NJ has their own process and does not go through NICS - so being facetious of course because I don't think politicians and judges rob people at gun point (they are the only ones with carry permits), but yes the police could find out in a matter of minutes if the actor had one or both...
http://www.njsp.org/firearms/index.shtml

skippy skippy
Jun '16

Tracy "If they wanted the public's assistance, they'd provide a description and ask for leads."

"Authorities ask anyone with information or who may have seen anything suspicious to call the Hackettstown detective bureau"

Just let the police do their jobs? If they have a description of the man with a gun still at large in the area I think the public has a right to know, if they don't then just say so.

Denis Denis
Jun '16

Well a fax machine is 21st century. Of course, from that point I think they go to the ATF who can search crime guns by computer but un-crime guns manually starting at the manufacturer and working their way out the distribution system by email, phone, and fax. Fax machines help since some of these FFLs probably don't have email.....

Of course 80% of these guns come from out of state, a lot from South Carolina. But hey, like you said, they're criminals and why wouldn't they get their gun from a state that does not care who buys them or where they are sold.

Frankly, it's criminal how we conduct crime gun searches. I mean we not only have the description, but we have a serial number but have to use a fax machine to trace it.......

Jun '16

Denis, I'm pretty sure that's just a generic sentence they stick on the end of every news article.

Why not just call HPD and tell them your concerns?

Tracy Tracy
Jun '16

Ring, ring, Hello HPD Hot Line

Hi, this is Denis and I have a concern.

Can you describe it.

That's my concern, there's no description.

Well, if you can't describe it, I'm afraid we can't help you.

That's the point, without a description, we can't help you.

Then we are in agreement. Have a nice day.

Jun '16

Tracy I already posted on their facebook page after the home invasion, and the response was a description will be released after further investigation, which didn't happen, and suspects still at large. I also posted on their page this time and no response. I'm just voicing my opinion on the local public forum. As I said previously I'm not a fan of local or federal government withholding information from the pubic about crimes, but that's just me.

Denis Denis
Jun '16

SD yeah something like that.

Denis Denis
Jun '16

Just being informed of a robbery at gun point is enough notice for me to be a bit more alert and perhaps not be hanging out later at night.

littlelu littlelu
Jun '16

Would be nice to know if these robberies were isolated incidences and if they caught anyone or if I need to get a pitbull to guard the house and me whIle out walking.

Hopeful Hopeful
Jun '16

We need to organize the Hackettstown Guardian Angels to patrol our streets.....

LittleRascal LittleRascal
Jun '16

The Guardian Angels were always walking thru NYC train's in the 70's when I rode the trains to high school and college. But they couldn't be everywhere all the time --- you were still vulnerable to crime. Once I had my bag snatched as the train doors were closing and I also had a metal bar thrown at me from an exiting train as I waited on the platform.
Glad I don't have to ride those trains anymore..... although I think they might be safer now than when I used them.

happiest girl
Jun '16

If I remember correctly, the Guardian Angels offered to come out to the suburbs to talk about safety in the early 80's when there was a young lady's dead body found behind the Beefsteak Charlie's in Parsippany, the third female murdered in a matter of 6 weeks:

http://www.nytimes.com/1983/01/06/nyregion/woman-is-found-slain-in-her-car-in-morris-county.html

That murder is still on the books as unsolved:

http://morriscountynj.gov/prosecutor/unsolved/

Hopefully, both of the recent cases will be solved quickly!

I can see the reasoning behind asking for the public's help in the second case without releasing too much information. Just in case it was either someone being "lured" to be robbed or some kind of "deal" that went badly, etc. they're looking for unbiased witnesses that may have seen what actually did happen and get their stories without prejudicing the witness who may doubt what they saw due to a published description or detailed "story of events".

Confusing perhaps to the rest of us, but I imagine the police (hopefully) have reasoning behind the way they asked for assistance.

hapiest girl - they both are and aren't safer than before. I used to ride the subway a lot when I used to go into the city a lot in the 80's and early 90's. Never once saw a Guardian Angel, but then I mostly was using it in Manhattan. I just read an article that featured Curtis Sliwa's working with a new generation of Guardian Angels, especially ladies to help combat the pervs that rarely get caught - the gropers, exposers and others who prey on women in the subway with little chance of getting caught.

Phil D. Phil D.
Jun '16

If you see someone you believe to be an illegal immigrant, call ICE at 1-866-DHS-2ICE
I know this could be unrelated but the robber may be a certain type of local resident that can be stopped by calling ICE.

1988LJ 1988LJ
Jun '16

How would I know if someone is illegal by just looking at them?

kb2755 kb2755
Jun '16

If someone isn't speaking English and they don't have a job, and instead rely on under-the-table work, they're probably not legal

1988LJ 1988LJ
Jun '16

1988-I think the biggest give away is not having a drivers license. Yes there are many people that don't drive. But I would say 99.9% males who turn 17 get a drivers license. I am sure most males with a valid drivers license would not be standing on a street corner waiting for a ride to work when they could drive to that same job. There is always the exception of not having a car, car pooling, many a reason. But 30 to 50 males(of driving age) standing on a street corner waiting for a ride to work is questionable, no matter what language they speak.

auntiel auntiel
Jun '16

Can you please say where 30 to 50 males are standing for work every day? I would like to see this myself...

Well then Well then
Jun '16

Im dying laughing reading all these comments. I just moved to the area from Essex county. This was a weekly occurrence over there and we let the cops handle it. We didn't go on forums and try and start up a mob to round up illegal immigrants. Feels like a different world over here compared to 45 mins down Route 80. Sad.

SD they do the searches by computer - In fact the AFIS system which I worked on implementing in the 80s but the faxed document ensures that it comes from a law enforcement agency with an official ORI number - God forbid civilians were privy to NICS info. What happens is a phone call is made to NJSP and the law enforcement agency and name is established and they call you back at the main PD number and ask to be transferred - that's old news - cops may be able to hook into this from MDT now for all I know - I've been off the job for numerous years - You asked if HPD could validate a NJ CCW and FID in minutes - yes they can. Can they run a trace on a firearm serial - different story - they can run it through NCiIC and see if it's wanted - other than that yes it's an BATFE search which takes time - meanwhile lawful gun owners want NICS available to everyone to complete in person transactions - it's the purchaser you have to monitor not the instrument. Lawful gun owners want to ensure they are transferring firearms to lawful buyers - why have the dems blocked civilian access to NICS at every turn?

Sunshine deli on main - any weekday numerous persons available for day labor

skippy skippy
Jun '16

Well here we are again ... Another armed robbery in town. Now after yet another crime like this, perhaps residents might stop being in denial and actually realize that things are getting worse.

As Tom Hanks would say ... "Hackettstown ... We have a problem."

Lets review the past year or so ...

- A guy was stabbed in the throat while at a traffic light for saying "hi"?

- A drug deal gone bad that lead to a stabbing.

- A pistol whipping at a gas station with a side dish of robbery.

- Two sleaze bags forced their way into a person's home and violently beat and robbed the victim.

- A armed gunman robs someone near a Moore St. parking lot.

These types of things make me feel so safe and warm...

*** Not to mention the weekly police blotter ... on the 100 - 200 blocks of Main St.
People being attacked chairs, bottles etc.
People arrested for relieving their human waste on Police cars.
People arrested and hospitalized regularly for violent, fights.
People arrested for stealing.
People arrested for drugs.
And the list goes on and on and on ....

It's sad ...

I find it even more sad that scumbag criminals can walk the streets armed with guns and have their way with people ... and law abiding citizens aren't allowed to protect themselves by way of any firearm. In NJ we really don't have a fighting chance against an armed robber outside of our own home. At which point to we measure law vs human life?

Unfortunately, these same government laws have cost good citizens their lives because the laws prevented these good citizens their right to carry sufficient protection.

It will only get worse if Hilary wins ... That's for sure!

Maureen2
Jul '16

CJM, we didn't used to have this sort of violent crime in this town. I'm not sure why youre proud to come from a place where violent crime is the norm but it is not cool.

Being from an over-densely populated area does not make you cool. Being from 45 min down route 80 does not make you cool. You are not tough.

Please don't bring your lax attitude toward violent crime to our area.

Talleyho
Jul '16

Exactly Tallyho. I too come from Essex and am so happy to be out here. What a difference in life.

A good day
Jul '16

I think the drug problem has had a big impact on the area. You only need to read the paper to see who's being arrested for a lot of the thefts, shoplifting, drug deals gone bad. Just my observation on what's going on. I'm sure this is not the popular opinion.

Bessie Bessie
Jul '16

CJM...,I'm dying laughing over your post....So where you come from this was a weekly occurrence huh? ok got it..then I feel sorry for you. Guess what? around here, it isn't. I'm sure most would like to keep it that way! Maybe that's part of the problem? We get people moving into our town that think it's "No big deal" and next thing you know Hackettstown resembles the very town you moved away from...,,NO THANKS.

Haha Who said I was proud? The point I made was if it happens the cops deal with it. Not a bunch of slack jawed yokels with too much time on there hands typing on a forum. Crime happens everywhere. Its not illegals or minorites or leprechauns or trolls. Its your neighbors, its people driving through, its anyone who wants to hurt anyone.

But keep telling yourselves your any different from the towns with those problems. That they don't "happen here". What's that old saying "Ignorance is bliss." New town slogan?

CJM ... Curious why you moved from Essex to Hackettstown?

happiest girl
Jul '16

Happiest I'm surprised you are not focusing on the racial bias instead of trying to pick on CJM

Well then Well then
Jul '16

Happiest Girl, Low property tax and more bang for your buck houses. Only two reasons. If I could transport the house I have now to my old town Id do it in a heart beat.

But thanks for playing. You will still recieve a home version of our game "You Can't Bait Me".

"Well then" --
---- what racial bias ???? I don't recall reading any on this thread.
I also asked a simple question to CJM. Don't know why you interpret it as 'picking on CJM'.

happiest girl
Jul '16

CJM,
why did you move to a small town like Hackettstown. Most of the families that live here have been here for over 30/40 years. Has raised there families here and now there families are being raised here, Yes, we do have crime in our town but nothing like the big towns or cities. and no this is not Mayberry where Andy Griffin is the sheriff
Our police department does a wonderful job. you stated ,( Not a bunch of slack jawed yokels with too much time on there hands typing on a forum.) it's not that we have to much time on are hands we love town. Maybe you should spend some time in time and see what we have here.

Oh just the you have to look out for the 30 - 50 men waiting for work comment... why are you so curious he for their reasons to move here? He made a good point about coming to these forums to complain. Since the first so called incident, I'm sure there has been more, that was listed above, has anyone asked the police in town what they are doing?

Well then Well then
Jul '16

Well then --
I was curious why he/she moved here, that's all.
If you are so concerned about crime, have YOU asked the police for any information?.
Let us know what you find out.
lol

happiest girl
Jul '16

happiest girl, I thought you had some inside info with police. With regards the the home invasion you said a week ago "the police are pretty sure they know who it was -- so are in the process of apprehending them. That's why they are not releasing information"

Does the same apply to the guy with the gun?

Just so there is no misunderstanding, I am a big supporter of the police, both of my Grandfathers were NYC cops. I'm just not a fan of the political constraints they are forced to operate under, which I suspect is at work here.

Denis Denis
Jul '16

Well then- I was not referring to any specific location. If you are in need of seeing 30-50 men (of driving age) standing on a corner waiting for work go to Morristown train station. Our little town has less than 20. If that's their thing well so be it. It in no way affects my quality of life. I don't care. Most on this forum know my family has been and still are here since the 1800's. Is it over crowded? Yes. Is the traffic a nightmare? Yes. Is their more crime? Yes. H-town like any other town is not utopia, it wasn't meant to be. Enjoy it while you can because it isn't "forever" for any of us.

auntiel auntiel
Jul '16

"Is their more crime? Yes."

This is an oft repeated misnomer. I haven't checked in a while, but the last several times I've checked our crime rate gas either been stable or dropping. Statistically we are just fine.

justintime justintime
Jul '16

Statistically we are just fine. 11 pm in the parking lot off Monroe by gun is not fine at all.

Wonder if the disabled car guy was the set-up?

Jul '16

Were any arrests ever made in the home invasion or this robbery?

Buddy
Jul '16

Nothing yet as far as I've heard, and the descriptions were never released. At this point hard to figure any plausible reason they would hamper investigation. I did get to witness the end of this little bit of Saturday night excitement as I was enjoying some beverages at Bea's

On 7/2/16 at approx 11:56PM the Hackettstown Police responded to the 100 block of Main St for a report of an assault in progress. When officers arrived on scene, the officers located the victim and the suspect along Main St. The suspect fled on foot and the officer then made contact with the suspect at the corner of Grand Ave and Main St. The suspect repeatedly refused to comply with the officer’s instructions. The suspect kept pulling away from the officer and physically struggled with the officer on the concrete sidewalk. The officer was then able to place the suspect under arrest. The suspect was identified as Adan Guillen-Archaga, 55, of Hackettstown, NJ. Adan was charged with obstructing (disorderly persons offense) and resisting arrest (3rd degree). Adan was unable to post the $15,000.00 bail with ten percent option and was then lodged in the Warren County Correctional Facility. Assisting at the scene was the Mansfield Twp Police and the Independence Twp Police.

Denis Denis
Jul '16

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.