RIP Pat Summitt

A sad day in the sports world, Pat Summit passed away at the age of 64.

She made college women's basketball what it is today. She started coaching women to play tougher, and as the world grew to realize what great athletes women can be, women's basketball became popular.

You did not see very many girls basketball teams in New Jersey high schools until the 1970s, and it was all because of the way Pat Summit, with her Tennessee Vols, made the game exciting and watchable on national television.

RIP Pat Summit.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Jun '16

A real legend, one hell of a coach! RIP.

Calico696 Calico696
Jun '16

Her greatest number in her 38 years of coaching was not the 1,098 wins, but the 100% graduation rate

Clyde Potts Clyde Potts
Jun '16

I got the opportunity to meet and interview one of Pat Summitt's prize recruits, Michele Marciniak, who scored an amazing 3,000 career points for Allentown Central Catholic in Pennsylvania. She went back to Tennessee to broadcast games on their radio network

She showed the North Warren girls team (who went to the state final that year) some video of Tennessee Vols women's basketball. Pretty impressive stuff.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Jun '16

An incredibly sad day, no doubt! Just watched the ESPN documentary Pat xo. It is amazing how much her former players love and respect her today, despite her incredible intensity and ability to push them when they played. I feel today the same way I did when John Wooden passed away.

John Wooden. The pyramid of success. What a coach he was.

Surely, he and Pat are comparing notes and talking hoops right now.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Jun '16

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.