RIP Buddy Ryan

Just heard Mike Golic on ESPN, pay tribute to his coach with the Eagles, Buddy Ryan. Also, Mike Ditka talked about Buddy's years as his defensive coordinator with the Bears.

Talk about a coach who the players loved, Buddy got carried off the field after the Bears won the Super Bowl with Buddy's aggressive 46 defense. When Buddy was head coach of the Eagles from 86 to 90, Philly was in the toughest division in football, with the Giants winning two Super Bowl titles and the Redskins winning one of their three titles under Joe Gibbs.

Buddy's Eagles were right there with them, giving them fits. The 1990 Giants were looking like they would go undefeated, 10-0 and just mauling people, but Buddy's Eagles ambushed them in Philly.

Teams started spreading it out as an adjustment to the 46, the Buffalo Bills did the best job of that, but I remember a game in which the Eagles totally shut down John Elway's Broncos. Such fun.

Oh, yeah (as they say on SNY) Buddy's defense was the real story of the Jets only Super Bowl win. The Jets beat the heavily favored Colts 16-7 and everybody talks about Joe Namath. The score of that game was 16-7, with nine of the points on field goals, the Jets won it with defense.

RIP Buddy Ryan

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Jun '16

Never cared for Buddy or either of his sons, but RIP.

Calico696 Calico696
Jun '16

RIP

Hated (sports hate) him as I do his 2 sons

All 3 of them talk a good game but won nothing. Yes Buddy won SB's but not as a headcoach.

Buddy RIP

Clyde Potts Clyde Potts
Jun '16

+1 clyde and calico, agreed! (over-rated, over compensated, he never really delivered) and i get the 'sports hate' thing big time, that's why i don;t talk about yankees with my clients, it don't go well. but hey, it's just sports, it's just a game, right?

rip buddy, god bless.

BrotherDog BrotherDog
Jun '16

Certainly was better coaching defense than offense, that's for sure.

Can't deny that the guys who played for him, loved him.

Nice guys get eaten alive on the football field.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Jun '16

Also lost Pat Summit, she was a great womans basketball coach. May they both rest now.

Hot corner Hot corner
Jun '16

Hot corner - There is a thread on Pat too.

Calico696 Calico696
Jun '16

My apologies

Hot corner Hot corner
Jun '16

No worries, just info. :-)

Calico696 Calico696
Jun '16

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.