Why did they cover the mural in town?

Why did they paint over the mural in town it was so nice. Was it chipping off badly or was it the person who hung there advertising banner their?

The wall was Extremely in dire need of repair. To the point of Structural issues, Water Damage to the interior and the safety of the integrity off the wall. Large pieces of masonry were falling off and could have hurt someone. We still have spots to fix on the entire building. Being from town we did not want to paint over the mural but had too. The new repairs and old had to be sealed with a masonry paint to stop any water from damaging the wall further. I take pride in my company and feel sorrow for the hard work put into the mural. Sometimes Safety and Structural Integrity outweigh and was warranted in this situation.

Joseph Applegate Joseph Applegate
Jun '16

Saw that yesterday and was surprised. The mural looked in good condition when I drove bye in the past. Curious why it was painted over?

Vicinity Vicinity
Jun '16

Re: Why did they cover the mural in town?

It had a big part break off and you could see more was starting to chip away. So hopefully it'll get repainted

Darwin Darwin
Jun '16

It's upsetting that it got taken down, but if the mural is not structurally sound, or it's not in a position to represent this town, then I suppose it had to go. It is a shame, because I'm sure a lot of hard work went into it. Hopefully they'll paint a new, identical one.

1988LJ 1988LJ
Jun '16

I can understand the need, but it did add a bit of rustic charm to the town, while driving down Main Street. Perhaps some local artist will volunteer to paint a new one.

JerseyWolf JerseyWolf
Jun '16

My husband and I are both from Hackettstown. My high school friend painted the beautiful mural. Joe felt real bad painting it but in his post he explained that it absolutely had to be done. We're all very sad to see it go. My husband did a great job repairing it so that is why he hung his banner.

Mrs. Applegate Mrs. Applegate
Jun '16

JerseyWolf - What a great idea! You know there are talented artists in Hackettstown.

DannyC DannyC
Jun '16

And while there at it, I will bring up my ole lament ----- mural the alleys from the back parking providing guidance that they are there plus brightening up those dark passageways!

Paint's cheap ---- Centenary, the High School, all have artists looking to express themselves ---- have a contest! I suggest putting a yellow brick road down on the alley sidewalk. Hi ho!

strangerdanger strangerdanger
Jun '16

strangerdanger,

I never thought I would ever agree with you. + 1

By the way you were short and to the point, you feel OK?

The Man The Man
Jun '16

"I suggest putting a yellow brick road down on the alley sidewalk. Hi ho!"

I don't think the Seven Dwarves walked the Yellow Brick Road on their way to work (-;

ianimal ianimal
Jun '16

ianimial - "I owe, I owe, it's off to work I go." ;-) But I think the artists' competition to improve the area with murals is a teriffic idea.

DannyC DannyC
Jun '16

Good to know I'd like to see something painted back on tho. I thought I made the building look warmer. But everything needs upkeep

Gee, I was talking about salutations to the alley people :>)

Opinions without facts take no space The Man....... Think about that for your next short post.

strangerdanger strangerdanger
Jun '16

I agree it was a nice idea and certainly looked better than a blank wall. The only thing I always seemed to notice was the lettering looked a bit crooked or not quite level or something?. We have some wonderful local artists that could add a lot to it and make that wall really stand out!!
I also like the idea of painting the alleyways....they may be a bit intimidating to some at night I guess.

I am happy you fixed the wall to be safe but something like the mural needs to go back.

Christine Christine
Jun '16

just an FYI there is no plans for a mural to go back up. If you are interested in a mural going back up I suggest you attend a town council meeting and let them know.

darwin darwin
Jul '16

No one can tell the owner what to do with his property! The mural was beautiful, and was allowed to be created by the previous owner. Unfortunately the wall needed repair
Get over it

Deviljet
Jul '16

Darwin - Thanks for the info. This is worth bringing up with the town council and the BID. Hometown artwork rules.

Deviljet - So why can't the town help get it repainted at no expense to the owner?

DannyC DannyC
Jul '16

Great idea Danny, I have a crumbling wall too and would love to have you help to pay to fix it. Who should I call? ;-)

justintime justintime
Jul '16

LMAO jit!

Calico696 Calico696
Jul '16

"No one can tell the owner what to do with his property!"

well if the owner wants to change a town ordinance then we can.

darwin darwin
Jul '16

Find another owner that wants that crap on their building. If the owner doesnt want it then its gone. Darwin, care to donate your house???

Mr. Marcus
Jul '16

justintime - JerseyWolf suggested a volunteer to restore/repaint the mural, and strangerdanger suggested an artist contest. Last I checked this does not cost anything, just permission and promotion. If you need your own crumbling wall fixed, I can do the work, but it will cost you.

DannyC DannyC
Jul '16

While I understand the wall needed to be fixed, it's a shame to see it replaced with a company banner. To mean that doesn't sound like someone who was "sad to see it go"

Jerseylady
Jul '16

Wow a lot lurkers on this thread. A welcome to hackettstown mural painting is "crap"? Who knew

Darwin Darwin
Jul '16

No, the mural is a great idea. The problem comes when people want to force the owner to redo it or, if that doesn't work, to force the town residents to pay for it through taxation.

My plea to the owner would be to please have another mural done. It gives Main Street a nice character and ties the community together in a common trait. But it's their property, and as they are the one who are legally responsible to maintain it, I don't blame them for not wanting to do it.

justintime justintime
Jul '16

On one of the Facebooks that depicts Hackettstown the original artist said she would do it again. I am just having a hard time finding it.

iChristine iChristine
Jul '16

iChristine - Do you know her name? Will try to research artists as well.

DannyC DannyC
Jul '16

My thought would be a replacement mural done by a professional could be a real asset to town. The old Mural was looking drab and dated and needed some work as it was starting to look shabby.

All with consent of the owner of course, who by the way has done a nice job with fixing up that building recently.

Grizzly Adams
Jul '16

Wow. Someone mentioned this thread to me and I had to take a peek. I am the artist that painted the mural in 2001 when I was 19 yrs old and about to move to the city to attend Pratt Institute. I was, and still am, so proud to have painted that piece for my hometown. A lot of blood, sweat, and yes, even tears went into that painting and it took me all summer. I did not have a projector nor was it traced prior to painting so now that it's sadly gone, can people please refrain from calling it "crap"? Thank you kindly in advance.
I understand why it needed to be repaired and thus painted over but I would be more than proud to apply my talent, heart, and soul to painting a new mural for the town.

Especially, now that I've moved back :)

If anyone is interested please feel free to email me at charlsie15@gmail.com

Thank you for showing your love and appreciation for my work. (Well, most of you)

Be well,
Charlsie Aigotti

Charlsie Charlsie
Aug '16

You obtain permission and talent and I will help with supplies.

The Man The Man
Aug '16

@ Charlsie - Welcome home! Thank you for your contribution to the town, surely it's more than most on this forum could claim.

ScottB ScottB
Aug '16

I loved the mural and was sad to see it go. The wall now looks so bland.

Charlsie, I would contact either the town council or the mayor directly to see if they are interested in having another mural painted. It would probably be wise to contact the building owner first to make sure they want another mural, because if not, maybe there is somewhere else in town the mayor can have a beautiful mural approved.

Darrin Darrin
Aug '16

Charlse - Only one loser thought the mural was crap - that would be Mr. Marcus. He's the outlier (and miserable person, if you don't mind my saying). Everyone I know LOVED the mural and was sad to see it go when they fixed the crumbling concrete.

You did an awesome job on the mural and it really depicted the hometown feel of H'town! It would be so great if you could do another one - it really was a nice welcome as you came into the Main St area!

Heidi Heidi
Aug '16

Whenever we have had visitors to our home in the past from out of town or those that had not been in town for a long time. ( I have lived in town over 50 years and hubby born and raised here).... everyone always remarked about this mural (you have to pass it on the way to our house) and how well it depicted Hackettstown as we know it to be. Sure hope we can get it back again one day.

Joyful Joyful
Aug '16

Thank you :)

Charlsie Charlsie
Aug '16

Charlsie, Thank you for your generous offer to paint a new mural for Hackettstown. I hope the folks who have the power to approve have already started working on getting it done. I think the mural was a plus for Hackettstown for people to see when driving into town via 517 and 46 (especially for first time visitors.)

MrsPipes MrsPipes
Aug '16

Charlsie, thank you for that mural! It is dearly missed by many.

I'm sure I'm not alone in saying we would welcome a new one, and help gather funds for your time and supplies.

#fundthemural

;-)

If the owner of the building says it's a go for a new mural, I would happily donate towards supplies. Just email me as to where/how to get the funds to you.

Maybe they can put a jar at the Dad and Lad and everyone can just drop off donations for paint, supplies and your effort.

Laurel Laurel
Aug '16

From everything I've seen the supply cost, the talent, and the community are all there. I don't think a collection is even necessary with the strong support. Mostly it's up to the owner if it wants it or not.

Because of the community, even if that owner decides against it, it's entirely possible that it could be done elsewhere. There are windows, but Man Skirt was a long enough facade. Or the 'Mini Mall'. The idea doesn't have to stop there.

How about a contest? Then have College, HS students and local artists get the outline up on the wall and let volunteers help paint it in?

Just a suggestion.

Former Art Teacher Former Art Teacher
Aug '16

It was 85 percent great,
15 percent WAY OFF regarding perspective. Did you REALLY not observe this?! I used to PRAY that there would be a parked car covering this part!!!

kerii
Aug '16

Looks like we have a troll!

Keri you can always leave!

iChristine iChristine
Aug '16

Kerii has been very busy today.

Bessie Bessie
Aug '16

I've seen plenty of "Rustic" style art that showed "proper" perspective in only part of the painting, so it's not necessarily a "must have" in all art work. If it was THAT bothersome to your eye, you REALLY didn't have to look at it. There were plenty of other things to look at.

Phil D. Phil D.
Aug '16

It was totally in the perspective of the artist. If you want realism, take a picture.

Strangerdanger Strangerdanger
Aug '16

the new 'distraction law' will make this all moot. lol

Sorry, but I didn't like that mural either. I thought it looked very amateurish. After reading the thread, I guess I was correct.

Robbetggrobber
Aug '16

Robbet- perhaps you should paint a new mural and maybe Keri can help?

positive positive
Aug '16

So after reading the thread and finding out that a young woman, with a great deal of hometown pride, painted the mural for free and out of the goodness of her spirit, Robbet still feels the need to denigrate it?

There are some real classless acts in this town and on this forum.

emaxxman emaxxman
Aug '16

Yes emaxxman I agree with you. The young lady was an amateur with wonderful talent and dedicated her time to that mural. A great gesture for our town. I have no idea who this person is but I commend her work of Art. How can anyone criticize ? Kerii Really???

LittleRascal LittleRascal
Aug '16

There are some miserable people out there who enjoy trying to make others miserable. Very sad. On the upside the majority of the posters on here are good people with good intentions.

positive positive
Aug '16

Charlsie,
Your beautiful mural was one of the things that attracted us to the quaint hometown feel of Hackettstown and actually helped us decide to move here. My wife and I have fallen in love with this town and we were sad to see the mural go.

I, for one, would gladly lend my support in having you do a new mural.

Spumko Spumko
Aug '16

Charlsie -

You deserve the right of first refusal to design a new mural and supervise others to actually paint it and pay for it. As a Pratt student and professional artist, you have the liberty to apply any perspective you feel welcoming, as was your original mural. The open question is how the wall owner feels about this, which your supporters should work on.

BTW, does anyone know who owns the wall and if the repairs are complete?

DannyC DannyC
Aug '16

Sheesh! I was just giving my opinion. It looked amateurish. I read this thread. Turns out an amateur (meaning not a professional) painted it. I'm not bashing the artist I'm any way. I love my kid and hang her artwork on my fridge but wouldn't expect the entire town to think its good enough for a mural.

Robbetggrobber
Aug '16

Robbetggrobber,

You ARE entitled to your opinion even if it IS wrong.

The Man The Man
Aug '16

She painted it for free? Not what I heard. How much did it cost the first time to Paint it?

FranksNBeans
Aug '16

A few answers to some questions and ignorant comments...

1. I was a teenager with ZERO professional artists education (apart from my awesome guidance from Mr. Cameron and Mr. Sandal) when I painted that mural.
2. I did it by "eye" only. No projection, no measurements. You try doing that all alone on a giant wall where you could only climb up and down from the scaffolding a million times, in 95 degree weather, and only be able to back up so far tiger a better lookbecause of parked cars belonging to the auto shop right there.
Yes- as a professional artist- when going back to town to visit from college and seeing it- as proud as I was, the prospective drove me nuts. I was a kid with MINIMAL supplies working out of the trunk of my car at the time.
4. I was commissioned to do the mural by the walls owner at the time, Mr. Weiss (owner of Dad and Lad) - the town paid for the paint. My friends father, Mr. Glen Cougle, lent me the scaffolding.

Feel free to view my work at :

https://www.facebook.com/Charlsie-Aigotti-Fine-Artist-174674319545/

And then let me know if I would be "professional" enough to repaint a mural for the town. I would love to obtain help from fellow art students in the area.

Thank you all for the support and love. Xo
-Charlsie

Charlsie Charlsie
Aug '16

Charlsie, I hope you don't let the petty criticisms here discourage you. (I'll never understand people who always feel the need to be negative.)

I'm sure many people (townie or not) would be delighted to have you paint another mural. The old one was charming.

Lastly, I'd just like to point out that perspective subject to artistic license. Who ever said that mural ~ or any mural ~ necessarily has to have a photo realist perspective. If someone painted a cubist rendering of Hackettstown, would that be condemned?

Ok, that's all!! Go for it Charlsie ~ and you should get paid for TIME AND SUPPLIES!

Ditto to what the man said!

Bessie Bessie
Aug '16

Double Ditto to what MAN said...

Joyful Joyful
Aug '16

Thanks Bessie! Lets hear it for positive input!!

I had posted a pic of the original mural with many friends, including many of my facebook friends from around the globe. And they loved it! Many wrote to me that they would like to see it in person, especially a close friend who lives in the Netherlands and is a professional photographer..I miss it, and am so grateful that I have pics of it...

abigail abigail
Aug '16

I love your work, Charlsie. Please ignore the haters.
Did you also paint the mural in the childcare room at Gibson's Gym?

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Aug '16

Thank you so much, everyone!! To know that people from all over the world loved the mural fills my heart :)
I did not paint the mural in the daycare but I did paint inside of Hackettstown Pet Supply many years ago, the window lettering on the side of Exotic Customs that's still there (almost 13 years ago), and the pizza man in the window at Sunny's pizza (also a very long time ago). I painted an enormous mural in an Italian restaurant along Budd Lake that was twice the size of the one in Hackettstown. I had JUST moved to NYC for school and I would commute back every weekend to work on it. Several years later, I went back to see it and the business had sold and the new owner of whatever it turned into painted the walls white. My heart sank into my stomach that day, too.
It happens. Even to the greatest painters in our history.
-Charlsie

Charlsie Charlsie
Aug '16

Charisse, I for one enjoyed watching the mural come to life. I do hope you paint another. There are so many negative people on Hackettstown Life I don't really read it that often. It doesn't matter who painted it they would complain. Please don't let them upset you they are not worth it.

Snowflake
Aug '16

Go for it, Charlsie, in your own style, but this time get support from the town and the wall owner for your time, materials and equipment. You deserve it..

DannyC DannyC
Aug '16

Charlsie, I was so very proud of you for sharing your talents and love of your hometown with us in Hackettstown. Your mural celebrated so much of what is great about this town. If you are able to get permission to paint another mural, I'll gratefully and joyfully donate to help cover the costs of your supplies and whatever else you need to make it happen.

sumerrain1 sumerrain1
Aug '16

Charlsie: WE, in town, loved that painting you did on the wall by the corner of Main Street and High Street.

Please keep in touch with us and let us know when you can do this again. The support for you (in many ways) will be plentiful.

I am a person of your fond passion - painting.

Bernie Bernie
Aug '16

Wow. I haven’t been back to this thread in a very long time but I just wanted to thank you all for your kind words and support! Negative criticism never upsets me. It comes with the nature of being an artist :)

Be well,

Charlsie

Charlsie Charlsie
Apr '18

Re: Why did they cover the mural in town?

I see the mural was repainted!

I appears to be a Hackettstown by night rendition.

I saw it today too and can't say that black is attractive by any means. The storefront reminds me of a nightclub/bar or strip club place. Not a good look for Main Street. That's just my opinion.

Dogsbarkpeopletalk Dogsbarkpeopletalk
Aug '18

I like it. Looks mondern industrial

Nosila Nosila
Aug '18

Dogsbarkpeopletalk. Maybe you should wait to voice your opinion when the building is done.
I think it looks good the town approves the color so it's all good.
Can't wait to see the end result.

Mike Rolls Mike Rolls
Aug '18

I think it looks good!

Michael Michael
Aug '18

Drab Battleship gray! UGH! It looked much better in White.

It was supposed to be a tribute to 'Smell The Glove'. But...censored again. Now it's 'none more gray' not even 'none more black' which would've been infinitely cooler

The girl who painted that sign did my signs on my windows and did great pics in my store Canine Cafe. Loved her and her work and was sad when she left Hackettstown. When I moved my store I tried to find her. Retired now but glad she is back

Dogcookie Lady Dogcookie Lady
Aug '18

"even 'none more black' which would've been infinitely cooler"

That would be like turning it up to 11.

Mark Mc. Mark Mc.
Aug '18

They're not finished yet! Jdonnelly does nice work. I'm sure it will look beautiful when it's done.

Older Mom Older Mom
Aug '18

It looks terrible now - the huge expense of black as you drive towards is just awful. Really hoping they do something else with. The front of the store looks good but the area where the mural used to be is just awful.

Liberty Mom
Aug '18

went looking for it last night.............didn't see it

If you all would just wait until the job is complete, I think you will all, well most of you, will be happy! Give them a chance!

Bruce juice
Aug '18

Looks clean!

justintime justintime
Aug '18

That is exactly what I thought JIT

JrzyGirl88 JrzyGirl88
Aug '18

So many people are quick to judge! It’s not even done yet people!!!! Smfh

Michael Michael
Aug '18

Curious what’s it going to be ? The doors were open and the inside looks very clean and modern! Looking great!

Ladybug Ladybug
Sep '18

Hackettstown Gun & Ammo will be moving back in.

Gun and ammo is staying at the other side of street in the old Bach location. The Uniform part of their business is going back to the old building.

Jim L Jim L
Sep '18

Two different businesses

Ziggy Ziggy
Sep '18

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.