Sling TV

Does anyone out there have Sling Television and can give me details on how to purchase, how it works? Tired of paying high Comcast Bill .....

LittleRascal LittleRascal
Jun '16

sling.tv. Starts at $20 a month, has a few additional packages available at very low rates - $5+.

Tried them out, didn't keep paying the subscription because with my currently comcast deal, TV costs me $1 a month....but its not even plugged in.

1 week trial, but sometimes they offer 2 weeks extended trials. (I believe they'll offer you an additional week if you cancel during your trial)

You need a compatible device - apply TV, google nexus player, Roku (they offer both extremely discounted with a short commitment). Your phone will work too, but you really would want a chromecast at least if you plan to only use your phone. I have a nexus player and love the device, it also has Google play and netflix on it (These are not part of the Sling Subscription)

You still need comcast internet, and will need a reasonable speed, but reasonable depends on what else / how many other devices are on at any given time.

Sling is one device, you cannot watch on multiple devices at a time. (The beta may let you do this, but I cannot confirm that)

The only downside to me is the lack of channels - their lineup is good, but not great. Comcast owns NBC and many cables channels now, so I suspect many will never come to sling.

alpha1beta alpha1beta
Jun '16

what kind of deal is that, that Comcast gives you tv for $1 / month? did i read it wrong? thanks

BrotherDog BrotherDog
Jun '16

It's a great service. I switched about 3 months ago and will never go back to cable.

I tried to do the antenna thing for the local channels but I get no reception in Hackettstown due to the mountains. To combat this you can purchase CBS live stream app for 5.99 a month. For ABC you can purchase a $5 add on with sling. Fox Fox live streaming you can purchase the beta version for an extra $20. I'm really into sports and basically I won't miss a single Jets game all year

All in all, if you include Netflix (8.99 a month) I went from paying Directv $170.00 a month to now only paying $60.00, while not missing anything that I want to watch. Huge difference.

Also I would suggest getting the Roku 3 player. It is awesome. 1,000's of apps for free download, you will never run out of things to watch. You basically just pay for what you want to watch, and not a bunch of channels that you never even look at like cable. I was reluctant to do it at first, but now I'm so glad I went and just did it.

Also there is no long term commitment, if you don't like the service simply cancel it and go back to cable.

Rickter1
Jun '16

One more thing with the beta stream you can watch up to 3 devices at a time

Rickter1
Jun '16

We have Sling TV with our Amazon Fire TV. There are two packages, one with ABC stations and one with Fox. My husband chose the Fox for now and later might change to ABC during football season. We have about 30 channels, including Food Network, HGTV, Lifetime, YES, TRU, TBS, etc. You can also watch many shows on Demand. We stream other shows and movies through Kodi.

Tracy Tracy
Jun '16

We had Sling. I really liked it because it carries nearly all the channels I watch regularly. I also like that I can cancel during re-run season and resubscribe when my shows start. There's also Playstation Vue, for $34 a month, it has a lot more channels than Sling, but it froze ALOT and some stations were nearly unwatchable.

weebiekins weebiekins
Jun '16

I am looking into Sling Tv.....can someone tell me if the shows are current or a week behind..... What speed do I need for internet? I am thinking of keeping basic cable for channels 2 thru 12 or whatever the basic is for news and some shows....is The Weather Channel on Sling Tv? What accessories do i need to get it on my TV? I am not very techy so any explanations and guidance is very appreciated! I pay comcast $170 per month and basically watch AMC, Food,HGTV, FS1, Discovery,History, channels 2,4,7.

Thank you for advice,guidance and suggestions!!

virginia virginia
Jan '17

Personally we like Playstation Vue over sling. Playstation has a free dvr that saves all of your favorite shows for 30days. Plus last time I checked it had more local channels than sling. Plus it supports streaming on multiple devices, no extra charge. We are currently use it on fire TV box and fire sticks with no buffering issues.

I would second Playstation Vue. Have had it for about a month, no major complaints at all. Should be cutting the Comcast cord in the next week or so.

Tdog & Mark...Do you get local 2,4, 7? Are shows current as in can be viewed same day? What kind of internet speeds do you need? Did you keep basic cable? How about channels like history,discovery,food,AMC, FS1 ??

virginia virginia
Jan '17

Virginia, we have Sling as well. When my husband purchased it, I guess there were two packages to choose from, one had Fox and NBC, the other had ABC if I remember correctly. We have the version that has Fox and NBC. We do not have CBS or ABC, but we did keep basic cable for that. The shows on Sling TV are live but can be paused or restarted. You can view certain programs on demand as well. It has many sports channels, some movie channels, and most if not all the others you mentioned above.

Why not check out this website for more information.

https://www.cnet.com/news/sling-tv-everything-you-need-to-know/

Tracy Tracy
Jan '17

Virginia Playstation Vue is live TV with the option to save your favorite shows for 30 days like a dvr

Here is a link to the packages https://www.playstation.com/en-us/network/vue/channels/

The cheapest package 39.99 a month includes 45 channels including 2,4,5,7,9 the only basic channel missing is 11. The basic also has food, discovery and fs1. I don't think any of the packages have history though I guess they do not have a contract with them.

We only kept Comcast for Internet and dropped everything else. We have the blast Internet 100mbps but it is over kill Playstation website says 10mbps minimum but a mid level Internet package is good for streaming on multiple devices without buffering.

Looks good, the only thing that it would need for me to switch is MSG and SNY

Trick Trick
Jan '17

Tracy , Thank You! I will check out the site. It's a little overwhelming trying to compare technology now a days!

Tdog...I do not have a playstation anymore.....is this playstation VUE only for gamers or is there another way to get it? I would like to compare both .....

I have also heard Hulu is good....does anyone have any experience with Hulu..pros/cons?

Trick...there is no MSG? That means no hockey games :-(

virginia virginia
Jan '17

For any of these.....is comcast 25BPS enough to properly run these with no lag time,buffering etc?

virginia virginia
Jan '17

Virginia No need for a Playstation like I said I run mine on Amazon fire TV box and fire sticks. Check the faq page for supported devices.

I tried Hulu but the content is a day behind, sometimes more and it is rather limited. I couldn't get a lot of shows I usually watch and definitely no sports.

I don't think sling or Playstation carry msg

Like I said above Playstation's website says 10mbps minimum but if you want to stream on multiple devices more is always better

Thank you Tdog and everyone. I am going to take time this week to research all the info you all gave me! Thank you for the feed back as well.

virginia virginia
Jan '17

Looking into getting Sling. Anymore reviews?

Boom
Aug '17

Hi Boom,

We had a great thread on alternative cable options here also

http://www.hackettstownlife.com/forum/806952

It's a lot of info however it covers a lot of ground.

RickC RickC
Aug '17

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.