Truck versus bigger SUV with a trailer.

Pros of a truck:
Big bed that is always there
Less space taken up in the driveway
Because I want a truck
Crew cab
Towing if or when I buy a trailer
Haul stuff without worrying about getting storage dirty
New diesel that's rated to get 31mpg on highway which is most of my commute anyways.

Pros of an SUV with trailer
Seats 5-7 comfortably
Storage in the back for items that need shelter
Wife feels more comfortable driving it
Don't always need a trailer or bed space

fujixt1 fujixt1
May '16

I have a minivan for hauling the family, a Camry to commute to work and a F250 to haul everything else.

Really depends how often you need to haul stuff and what you need to haul. I need the pickup to pull my boat, a SUV doesn't have suspension enough to handle the load. It's also handy when you need to pick up a pallet of pavers, most SUVs will just end up with a broken axle.

Bemused Bemused
May '16

Thanks for the reply.

I would really only need to haul dirt, manure, and lumber for now but even that would only be in the summer months.

I plan on getting a camper too.

fujixt1 fujixt1
May '16

fujixt1 - No matter how logical everything else is you mention, "because I want a truck" wins every time. If it's just that simple, give in to what you want.

However if you really want to be practical, Bemused has the right idea. A 30+ mile daily commute isn't compatible with either of those. If you want a commuter, get a Honda Fit. If you need something to haul on weekends, buy a cheap high mileage truck.

I have a Honda Civic that's 4 doors and almost as good MPG as the Fit. I'm getting just a hair under 40 MPG. Then Bubba D. Truk for weekends is a ridiculous '99 GMC Sonoma with 245k miles on it and cost all of $625. Old Fords and Chevy trucks have all the value out of them, if it dies you're not out much. And just about any use is a bonus.

I have a Toyota Crew Max Tundra - more room inside then I will ever need...fits #4 full sized grown men or women easily - and having a truck bed is so critical for me - Lowes runs and tailgating at Giants games... I have 5.7L V8 that gets 17.2 mpg ... I commute from Liberty to Bridgewater for my job... I did get the tail gate extender which I highly recommend!

LibertyThinker LibertyThinker
May '16

There's a new Chevy Colorado diesel that is rated to get 30mpg on the highway. I have a Altima that is averaging 35mpg.

My other vehicle is a crv that is getting 27mpg. I would replace my crv with a truck or bigger SUV.

fujixt1 fujixt1
May '16

I have a 2008 Chevy Tahoe and it's great! I would really recommend the Tahoe or its GMC counterpart, the Yukon. Trucks are alright but they have way less space and are more difficult to keep clean- I wouldn't recommend them for someone who isn't a blue-collar workman, like in construction or something. No use having a pickup if you just go to the office.
Most importantly, buy an American brand! All trucks and SUVs are built here, but it's still best to buy GM, Ford or Dodge/Chrysler...keeps money in this country, you know?

1988LJ 1988LJ
May '16

Sorry 1988 many so called american vehicles are built in mexico and canada. Honda, Toyota , and hyundai all have built plants here and much. The new honda ridge line was designed and engineered in california and is assembled in Alabama. Buy the vehicle that suites your needs but dont base american made on the premise that the old american companies are that anymore.

Buy a Truck, hauling Dirt, Manure and stuff like that messes up a SUV every time! I've had both and stuck with the truck, 4 wheel drive and have a plow for the driveway.

Mr 4-paws

4paws 4paws
May '16

Get the truck. I'm guessing your wife wouldn't want to drive anything that was used to cart manure around anyway. ;o)

Tracy Tracy
May '16

I had a '99 GMC Sonoma with the 4.3L V6. Good little truck. Is yours blue GC? Ha. Had a GMC S15 before that that was my first vehicle. Traded the Sonoma in on a 2002 Sierra.

I used to do hardscapes on the side and needed the larger truck. Had a trailer for it as well. Got rid of the Sierra and trailer two years ago. Had an A5 for commuting to work (33mpg). Traded that in on a two year old ML350 and I've managed ok since. I use it to haul a lawnmower and other power equipment around. Other than having a lawnmower punch out the back window of the ML350, I haven't had much issue. I don't do as much of my own stuff lately, so the lack of a pickup hasn't hindered me all that much.

MeisterNJ MeisterNJ
May '16

Have you considered a nice SUV with a small dump cart like trailer for those weekend jobs? I would love a Tacoma TRD but the poor gas mileage would kill my wallet (100 mile roundtrip daily commute.)

We now have a CRV and I'm considering getting a 4x8 ft folding trailer from Harbor Freight. I only do renovations on my own house. I used to have a minivan and the largest load was a few sheets of drywall/plywood. The small trailer would handle those with no issues. Anything larger and I'll just pay for delivery.

emaxxman emaxxman
May '16

Truck.
We're on our third one since living here and wouldn't be without one.
Big roomy F150 Crew Cab:)
Love it for HD/Lowes runs, tossing in the bikes or canoe and the occasional pick-up of random finds on the side of the road:)
PS-I'm female and have no desire for an SUV.

Blackcat Blackcat
May '16

Bubba D. Truk is a SONOMA? I figured he was at least a Silverado/F150. You should have named him Opie D. Truk (-;

ianimal ianimal
May '16

I have a few of each ;-)

I have a sierra, and a s10

and 2 blazers, a tahoe, and a suburban

Love em all!

If I had to pick one, pickup with a crew cab. You can always put a tonneau cover on it if you want to keep cargo dry, and they are easy enough to remove and still have a truck, unlike a cap.

Colorado diesel is a GREAT choice IMHO...If I needed to buy a commuter/weekend hauler, that is exactly what I would be buying. But instead I have a company car, so to me, all my cars are recreational ;-)

Darrin Darrin
May '16

I have a Crv currently but it's an awkward size. Big enough for luggage but to small for most other things.

I am looking into a dodge 1500.

Thank you for all your great comments.

fujixt1 fujixt1
May '16

Re: Truck vs...?

Ram has a 3.0L EcoDiesel option, just need to crunch the numbers to see if/when the $3K premium and more expensive fuel (plus DEF, larger oil changes, etc.) breaks even with a few more MPG. Could be north of 100K miles.

I didn't buy my truck for mileage... Lifetime average over 36K miles is 12.8MPG. ;)

Mark Mc. Mark Mc.
May '16

Idk...i see a bunch of dodges on the road that have to be less then 10 years old with major body rot. Same with ford.

Darrin Darrin
Jun '16

Same with anything in NJ... salt doesn't know what brand of metal it's corroding.

Mark Mc. Mark Mc.
Jun '16

Correct Mark, but it seems certain brands have their issues in certain places. I am very interested to see what happens with ford and the aluminium bodies. Think they will peel paint like the expedition hoods did? When salt and calcium gets on aluminum it turns it to white dust

Darrin Darrin
Jun '16

Re: Truck vs...?

I don't know what kind of prep Ford does on their aluminum. F150's have had aluminum hoods going back to '97 so they have had a lot of time to figure it out. I've seen plenty of paint peel off steel hoods too (my co-worker has an '01 Silverado with the clear coat pretty much gone now...)

If/when all the paint peels off, just polish up the aluminum. It won't rot away like steel.

Mark Mc. Mark Mc.
Jun '16

The body on my '02 Sierra was fine. I took very good care of it. Frame, brake lines, rotors all seemed to have excessive rust. Had one brake line blow out, in the most inaccessible place too. Also had an intermittent issue where the battery sys would completely discharge and the truck would go dead while driving. Software update ($100) solved that.

I also went through three sets of rotors. Drove it at least once a week, so that shouldn't have been an issue. Only had 100k miles when I sold it. Other than these issues, truck was great, and it was only in its last years that I had them.

MeisterNJ MeisterNJ
Jun '16

My '00 Sierra had a rear bumper rust completely out - only the chrome was holding it together. Also rusted out the rear spring shackles, lower rocker panels (from the inside - they are hollow), and brake lines (probably in the same spot - where 4 lines go into the ABS module).

The frame has a lot of surface rust but seems pretty solid. Never lost any rotors due to rust (just wear - although my rear calipers froze up from sitting) but replaced both front wheel hubs due to worn out bearings and ABS sensors that crudded up.

Everything above the lower belt line on the body stayed in pretty good condition. I rusted through a dynomax exhaust so I put the stock stainless system back on.

It's past 150K now, and my dad uses it for utility purposes.

Mark Mc. Mark Mc.
Jun '16

My buddy has a 2002 GMC 2500HD ext cab that he uses to commercially plow and salt. Brake lines were a every 3 year item for him. His rockers have been gone for a few years, and just now the frame is getting sketchy to the point he is looking to get rid of it. He never once washed the truck. I would say 14 years is a darn good life for a salt truck that was never once washed. The truck runs and drives like almost new. I think he only has 120k on it, but it was only ever used to plow, salt, and tow.

When I do brake lines on my trucks, if I plan on keeping them, I pay up and get a full stainless kit, never have to worry about them again

Darrin Darrin
Jun '16

The guy I sold the Sierra to said that the springs were about to go, so same issue. The brake line that I had break was right under the driver's feet. Very hard to get to. I couldn't even see it when it happened. Stopped at a convenience store, bought a couple bottles of brake fluid, and limped it to my service guy. 20 miles. Man, nice plume of smoke at stoplights.... Had a heavy load of brick for recycling on the truck as well. Had to rent another pickup to get it off and take to recycling so they could put the truck on a lift. What a nightmare.

MeisterNJ MeisterNJ
Jun '16

"I would say 14 years is a darn good life for a salt truck that was never once washed."

Is a salt truck subjected to overall salt loads in excess of the general driving public? The salt isn't damaging when it's in solid form, only in solution. The roads probably have a much lower concentration of salt solution when the salt trucks are operating than they do when they're done, obviously...

ianimal ianimal
Jun '16

Most definitally ianimal. A salt truck not only is out on roads when they are the worst, every time, for longer then a normal commute, its also driving around in circles, through its own salt that it spread. As soon as salt hits snow, ice, or water it begins to liquefy.

He uses the truck for parking lots and driveways.

Think about it this way, when we have a weekend or night storm and we're sitting at home, a salt truck or plow truck is out driving around the entire storm.

Darrin Darrin
Jun '16

My truck always picked good times to break down...

Brake lines popped right before my dad/brother were going to borrow the truck for a hunting trip out west. I took it for a quick spin (glad I did) and it let go over by the theater in Mansfield coming down that slight hill to the light... e-braked it into the parking lot and had it towed home so we could repair it quickly.

One other time I was loaded up with junk to go to the dump, got a few miles from home and the fuel pump died. Had to offload everything to another truck, and another tow home for repairs.

Good thing I have "free" roadside assistance through the AMA.

Mark Mc. Mark Mc.
Jun '16

My old trucks always blew up after I filled them up with gas lol

skippy skippy
Jun '16

But a salt truck isn't driving around in the fully-concentrated, salty, slushy mess for days or a week afterwards like commuters are. I realize that it "seems" logical that salt trucks would be subjected to more salt damage, but I don't necessarily know that it's true.

And this is only for the specific case of trucks that are used exclusively for salting/plowing, then put away until the next storm. If they are commuters as well, then yeah, it's gonna get beat up worse, obviously.

MNJ, you're the chemistry guy... what do you think?

ianimal ianimal
Jun '16

"Professional" salt trucks have a pretty aggressive cleaning regimine to keep the rust at bay...

http://m.daytondailynews.com/news/news/local/montgomery-uses-anti-rust-solution-on-its-salt-tru/nMyWn/

Salt only works slightly below the freezing point, so chances are salt trucks are getting plenty of road spray while they are treating the roads, in addition to knicks and chips on the tailgate/bed and fenders from the solid pieces.

Mark Mc. Mark Mc.
Jun '16

Ha, I was going to say you're stepping into my chemistry/ChemE territory ianimal. I would say that a salt truck is a little more prone to corrosion than your daily commuter. No matter what, the salt is getting wet and the salt truck is probably getting a higher concentration.

Re: salt only works slightly below the freezing point....., well, sort of. Some of the salt will migrate to the water that isn't yet frozen, concentrating the salt in the unfrozen water until it becomes cold enough to freeze. Kind of like when you put a beer in the freezer and it isn't frozen through.....the alcohol concentrates in what isn't frozen yet. It's also called freeze distillation for those of you at home who want to create liquor. Works well to create a real drink out of hard cider.....

Getting back to the truck...

So, a salt truck is driving around in snow and slush where the 'salt water' is more concentrated, and often driving over areas that have already been salted previously if the storm is a big one, and many times that is in the early morning before mr. commuter comes along. But of course by then there is the potential for more slushy concentrate...until the plow comes along and pushes it to side of the road, which by then the salt truck is back in the yard because they're plowing the road clean.. Unless of course that same truck is doing the plowing. Now it's another ballgame because that truck is now plowing the shoulder where mr. commuter isn't presumably driving so they're getting another even more concentrated dose. Unless you're ianimal who is probably shoulder surfing in his Jetta past all the SUV's spun out.

That's my pseudo scientific, no data to prove it, take.

Sorry for the google-dangeresque post. I need a shower.

MeisterNJ MeisterNJ
Jun '16

Not to mention, what is a typical commute? 1 hour? So driving 2 hours a day in salt?

When i plowed, i was on the road constantly driving for usually a minimum of 10 hours. So one storm you just commuted 5 days worth.

When you plow you endure the entire storm. Most of the time, on our way home, the pavement was already dry.

Think about it this way. .with some plow/salt trucks, a storm is time to take a road trip, where as other cars drive maybe a hour.

Darrin Darrin
Jun '16

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.