Another scam call

This guy named "Malcolm ", with a heavy southern accent, asks for "just $10, to help veterans in the hospital ". Now, of course I support and greatly appreciate our veterans, but I could tell by the conversation (I kept him talking, politics, how my day was going, etc.) He eventually got really frustrated with me, and just said "have a good day, Ma'am ", right in the middle of my blabbing. Like I'm virtually doing now!
Anyway, the number shows up as Washington, NJ. The number, already disappeared . I know there's an armory out that way...I hope I'm right about this. Just got the call, and came right here, first, as my computer started flickering.

sparksjbc1964 sparksjbc1964
May '16

I just got the same call, the call came through as Unknown

Bessie Bessie
May '16

Is it Amvets? Because I got that call the other day and just received the info to send a donation. My very good friend died two weeks ago and I was going to donate in his memory, but I don't know if this is legit.

I would research that one, if I were you. My "Malcolm", wanted my CC number, before sending anything in the mail... called it a "commitment".
Sorry to hear of the loss of your friend. I would ask the family, what charity they would want you to donate to, or send a sympathy card. Maybe the family needs the money for funeral or medical expenses.

May '16

Thank you sparksjbc1964! I am going to donate to either the Hackettstown Fire Dept or Wounded warrior project.

please check out Wounded Warrior Project - charity navigator or just google it -------------
huge amounts of funds to to salaries and advertising - there are many other groups that give raised funds to their projects........

4catmom 4catmom
May '16

4cat is right. Wounded Warriors has CEOs making millions per year. Pick the Hackettstown Fire Dept. They are a group of people, who will go into an inferno... and not expect a paycheck. I'm sure they could use a donation towards equipment or those cute little stuffed animals, they hand out to traumatized children. Out of the two? The fire department would be my choice.

May '16

Any local fire dept. is a great place to donate.

Locally for vets, the American Legion is the one doing the most good. If you want to donate to vets, write a check to the local post so you know it stays local. You can always buy Friday meals as well. There is a drawing tomorrow for a grill. And their clam bake is coming up.

In any case, my rule for donations is that I'll choose who I want to give to. And then I'll call *them*. Not the other way around.

Wounded Worriers has fired those high paid individuals. Unless you or a family member have any dealings with the project you will feel much better if you donate to your local service agencies. (fire, rescue, Legion, etc.) These groups are all volunteer and no one gets a salary.

Ms Fishy Ms Fishy
May '16

As an alternative to Wounded Warrior, I'd suggest the EOD Warrior Foundation.

http://www.eodwarriorfoundation.org/

EOD is the abbreviation for Explosive Ordnance Disposal, also known as Bomb Disposal. EOD techs serve in all branches of the military, and in Iraq and Afghanistan suffered the highest casualty rate of all MOS (Military Occupation Specialties). These are the men and women who go in to defuse IEDs in order to safeguard the lives of other troops. Many of these people suffer major catastrophic injuries in the performance of their duties. They are, one and all, volunteers.

The EOD Warrior Foundation split off from Wounded Warriors several years ago, and the majority of their staff are volunteers. Funds raised directly benefit injured EOD personnel and their families/survivors.

On behalf of my son (Air Force EOD) and his brothers and sisters, thanks to anyone who considers contributing.

JerryG JerryG
May '16

Stay away from Wounded Warrior Project, IMO. One of the worst records among charities and are also notorious for selling your info.

MeisterNJ MeisterNJ
May '16

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.