Owners of VW TDI

This is for any other fellow owners of a TDI that is wrapped up in "dieselgate". What are your thoughts on the potential "fix or buyback"?

I don't want them to touch my car. I'm getting on average of 45 MPG. I don't like hurting the environment either, but when I see these oversized SUV's/trucks that are getting 13-18 MPG on the road, how is that any better for the environment?

Curious to hear some other thoughts from other owners. Thanks!

Simple. You can no longer take it to the dealer, which honestly, really shouldn't be your go-to place for service anyways.

Flappy Flappy
May '16

It's kind of a BS issue with Dieselgate, in my opinion. This isn't to say that what VW did is in any way excusable...it was a total mess of corruption and greed that got them to design the defeat system for emissions testing, and they should be held responsible. But at the same time trucks and SUV's aren't held to anything close to the same standards as cars, so everytime you see a guy in a huge turbo-diesel truck with a big stack out the bed everything is A-O-K there. It's a double standard that never gets addressed.

I am not sure what the options are going to be for Diesel VW-Audi-Porsche owners. As far as I know there isn't anything definitive yet. But any fix will probably involve a retrofit installation of a urea tank (that's right) like the larger diesels (Toureg, etc) have and are compliant with emissions. This should not have an effect on performance or mileage as the urea is shot into the exhaust after combustion to reduce NOx emissions.

If it were me, I'd take the buyback route and get a gasoline model. Diesel makes zero sense. Yes, they get better mileage and loads of torque but if you think you are saving money on gas you are fooling yourself. VW diesels always cost more at initial purchase (substantially), need much more costly service than gasoline models, and diesel is always more expensive than gas. Unless you are willing to keep the car for at least a decade which is about the break even point you will always pay more than if you'd just gotten a gasoline model. For less than the price of your diesel (probably a jetta wagon?) you could have a GTi that is loads more fun and doesn't rape the environment.

Just my two cents. For the record I have owned only VW's and perform all my own repairs.

eperot eperot
May '16

If you're happy with the car, just keep using it. There is no long term "risk" to the vehicle (as far as damage or performance). VW just used software to trick the EPA by running "clean" only when it detected the test conditions. In everyday driving, the engine will work fine at the expense of more NOx being generated because the emission controls are bypassed.

The fix is tricky, because the NOx trap requires additional raw fuel to break down the emissions (which was done during EPA testing) but that drops day to day mileage, which would leave customers just as unhappy.

Urea injection isn't a slam dunk solution either because it's a complicated system that may not fit on smaller cars (need a urea tank, plumbing, injectors, etc.) and it's an additional cost for the fluid. If you run out, the car won't run correctly (pickup trucks go to reduced power "limp home" mode).

Mark Mc. Mark Mc.
May '16

Flappy....this isn't an issue of where I get my car serviced. It's an issue of if I will be required to return my car because for the generation engine I have, rumor is, there is no fix. I could be wrong, but there is not any physical room to "fix" my car.

Eperot...my plan was to keep the car (not a wagon) until it would no longer run. I'm not a "I need a new car every 5 years" kind of person. So starting over buying another car (I paid $1,500 more than the comparable gas model), will reduce my mileage, and in the end I will be out $$$. And trying to find a car these days with a manual transmission, seems to be impossible.

Mark Mc...I guess my concern is that I will be required to hand it over since I will not be able to pass inspection.

Thank you everyone for your thoughts.

What will the NJ DMV say when the car is due for emissions inspection ? I think you have no choice but to fix it if you plan to live in NJ.

Notin NJ anymore Notin NJ anymore
May '16

Ah yes inspection... forgot about that (we don't have inspections where I live). Does NJ still do a sniffer test, or just plug into the OBD port?

NY gave affected VW owners an exemption (at least for now)... not sure if NJ did or will do the same.

Mark Mc. Mark Mc.
May '16

Theres no sniffer test just a plug in if you don't have lights on your fine
And as for the buy back that would be my only option if it were a piece of junk. The us Standard for fuel economy on diesels is flawed. In Europe be has a similar hatchback to the gulf alittle smaller with a 3 cylinder diesel getting 75 mpg. But here that car didn't meet the regulations because it makes to much emission's per gallon. Even though it prob burns 3 gallons to a "clean diesels" 10. And if your really that worried about the environment the dairy and cattle farming industry creates more harmful gasses then all the cars put together. So drive your diesel! Just stop eating beef. And don't listed to these people saying your raping the environment get a gas car. Laugh at them when your odometer rolls past 500,000. And there on there 3rd gas job.

Jenn, don't get me wrong. I'm with you on the "forever car" thing. I've had my vw for 18 years now and bought it used 7 years old. I also refuse to drive anything without a stick. So with that being the case, drive on. It's just that you and l are not the norm...most people want a new car every 3 years so for them diesel is a losing proposition. I appologize if you thought l was lumping you in with that crowd.

Eperot Eperot
May '16

Eperot...no worries, I didn't take offense to anything said. I do think I lot of people find ways to be offended, but not the case here :) I hope in the end, I won't be required to have the car bought back...I really wanted to be able to teach my son how to drive a stick, but that's not for another 3 years. Fingers crossed though. I appreciate all the thoughts/comments on the subject.

I thought the tdi's cheated the test to appear more "clean" but not to a level that would fail a state inspection for emissions. Maybe I'm wrong but there is no way that lil tdi emits more carbon than the neighbors dodge turbo diesel. No possible way. That thing looks like an 1889 locomotive at WOT.

Blazin
May '16

Blazin

They aren't actually emitting more carbon or particulates of carbon, but are producing Oxides of Nitrogen which are invisible gases which lead to smog and acid rain, which is why there are limits on what is allowed to be produced by combustion engines in vehicles.

Phil D. Phil D.
May '16

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.