Comcast Internet Outage 5/24

Anyone experiencing issues with their internet?

Anonymous Anonymous
May '16

I was just coming to post about this. We've had intermittent issues losing our Internet over the past few weeks, but not so far today. We called them last week, they said it was on our end, so we troubleshot and found the issue and fixed it ourselves. We canceled the service call. Cable Guy was out on the pole across from our house Thursday and they called us Sunday and said they detected a problem in our line on their end and we have an appointment set for tomorrow night for them to come out. Has anyone else received this call and set up an appointment? Thanks!

weebiekins weebiekins
May '16

I had problems with Comcast last Friday, I was able to watch channels but could not watch Pay Per View. I called and was told that there was a problem identified in my house and that I had a "leakage". I was told that they tried to fix my problem the night before (Thursday night) but could not come by me. I had noted that the cable guys were across from my house the night before but I did not know that it was related to my house (nobody knocked & I was not going to open the door at that late hour anyway). The cable guy came on Sunday and I have not had an issue since. Odd, I wonder if it is all related?

Comcast is coming this morning for the third time in two weeks. They have replaced my modem, replaced cables, fixed things on their end and done an endless amount of testing. I'm honestly getting tired of it. On Sunday I got so frustrated but I told the customer service girl "If I'm only getting 10% of my service but I'm only paying 10% of my bill.". The problem is I need high-speed Internet access that DSL can't provide and that has left us with Comcast being the only choice. Provided there was a second option, I would be gone in a minute and never look back.

Krisandkelly Krisandkelly
May '16

I completely agree krisandkelly. I wish I could drop them too...no other options for what I need. My husband is taking online classes and the inconsistent internet is infuriating him. He works 2nd shift and usually does his classwork when he gets home and for the past 2weeks the internet has been horrible! He had to go to Washington Dunkin' Donuts at 1am to get some of his work done! I called Comcast screaming....they don't care. They monopolized this entire area. It's sad they don't have competition. They need to REPLACE there horrible equipment instead of putting Band-Aids on it. I spend over $200 a month and I expect to not have issues with anything...but that's not the case.

Just Saying.... Just Saying....
May '16

weebiekins and others

Cablevision is pulling the same crap on me as well and has been for the last few months. They put 2 line filters on my line to keep it from feeding back onto their line supposedly. This was after they did something AT THE POLE, that resulted in me getting 1/10 of my channels AND 2 of my 3 boxes are on a continuous rebooting loop. Only the newest box (Samsung) gets those 1/10 scheduled channels! It's obviously a BS ploy to get into your house and make sure you have only the hookups you "should" have. Either that or that can't see that the line to my house has another line laying (and putting weight on) directly on my line, as if to help hold the other line up on its long run to the next house.

Any reasonable person knows that the friction from wind, rain, snow, ice and accumulated dirt, etc. from the street will abrade the insulation on the cable and cause issues on BOTH lines, especially the one on the bottom! Of course now I'm really cranked up again about it and will have to call them again tonight to get it fixed. The last time this happened, a number of years back, they checked everything in the house and came to the same conclusion I had, that the line from the pole to the house was BAD, and they had to replace it. Nothing in the house has changed, but the service has gotten crappy. In addition to the TV issue, my old modem would reboot on its own in the middle of phone calls and it would kill my internet service right when posting something.

In other words, it's not just your "buddies" at Comcast, that are doing this, but all of them are likely doing it. Whether it's all on purpose or their "technicians" are not that good or are ordered to do this crap, I don't know, but it's going on with all the cable networks.

Phil D. Phil D.
May '16

I miss the "good ole days" when technology didn't stress us out so much. Something to be said about living simply. If I didn't need the internet for work, I probably would not bother with it. My husband is convinced that it's all some kind of game they play! They are all the same....cable, cell, and all the nice technological convenience companied....they hit us where they want us.

May '16

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=KMcny_pixDw

Blazin
May '16

Thanks for posting that hilarious video Blazin! It made my day!!!!

May '16

Has anyone else gone in to their cable modem since they've had a house call? We own our modem and we just went in to reset it and our menu is completely different with no option to reset our own modem back to our default settings. Again, this is just our cable modem NOT our router. We do know for a fact from the cable guy that when they came out to the pole last Thursday they were tabbing our line to stop service claiming there was a huge signal leak. The only thing they "found" were two old splitters from the old tenants that weren't hooked up to anything according to the guy who came out. So, it appears they were using this supposed "leakage" as a way to get into our house and mess with something? Phil D. you were spot on.

weebiekins weebiekins
May '16

weebiekins

Since you mentioned your cable modem, did you check to make sure it's the same one and it wasn't replaced with a similar one? I noticed that at the same time all this mess with my own line happened, my old outdated Optimum modem started to act up more than usual and would reboot spontaneously in the middle of usage as I had mentioned above. Then all of a sudden my own wireless router, which I normally use only as a wired router (faster and max security, plus you can always switch on the wifi if truly needed for a portable) acted up and all the troubleshooting said "bad cable". I replaced that cable several times using ones known to be good and none more than 3 feet long, with the exact same result.

What that means is that either the ethernet cable connector on the modem or router is bad OR the modem was used to purposefully shut down the router or something similar. I hooked one computer up to the modem via one of those supposedly "bad" CAT 6 cables that I like to use and gee, don't you know it, that computer works (WITH the bad cable)! My router is a level or two up from what Cablevision wanted to give me for "free" before because i got a good deal on it.

When checking on their Optimum wifi map, I notice I'm right in an area that has limited coverage. While I don't usually hang with too many conspiracy theories, my guess is they they are purposefully AND with malice shutting down equipment they don't own (they can tell by its EIN or ESN, etc) so they can push you into bringing them into your house to install all THEIR equipment (or partition part of your signal off) in order to brag that they have even MORE coverage and "hot spots" (re: their anti-Verizon "hot spot" ads "rarer than Bigfoot"). The same must be going on with your Comcast company as well. I believe they have the "Xfinity" network that is a network partner of Optimum. I can log onto Xfinity using my Optimum ID.

This is all only my wild opinion and speculation on my part, based on the observations I've noted and the complaint about the same "leakage" issues, which they quote the FCC reg stating that they'll turn your cable off unless you let them in your house to "find the source". If you look at your house on the map, it probably shows you being in an "empty" or poorly covered wifi area.

Phil D. Phil D.
May '16

I work from home. My Internet is completely unreliable . The service goes in and out , I am constantly rebooting etc. I appreciate the information on this thread so I can have a local reference on issues in our area . I live: turn off Route 46 by the Hundai dealership back by Stevens state park . Are the issues widespread or localized to specify areas. Thanks in advance for your replies .

just coach just coach
Jun '16

internet has not worked all day for Comcast. In and out wifi hasn't worked at all.

TV seems to be fine

there's a site http://downdetector.com/ it shows where the outages are etc

Joe B. Joe B.
Jun '16

I have had my own cable modem hooked to Comcast for the last two years, replaced their "company" modem the same day it was installed. I have a separate router for wireless and I have not had any issues with Comcast at all. It is up 24/7 and I have the blast service at 100mbs. It regularly tests at over 100 no matter the time of day or usage by the devices in my home. I live on College View and my service has been rock solid. I have the modem and router on battery backup so I even have internet on my laptop during power outages. Comcast has never tried to "upgrade" my modem or do anything to make me replace it with their equipment so not sure why that happens to other people.

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.