Mortgage lender reviews

Hi All,
I know this topic has been addressed before, but I wanted to ask if anyone has a good name company ofa mortgage lender?
There are so many out there, and I dont know where to start?Thank you so much.

Katew Katew
May '16

I am in the process as we speak and I took a chance and went away from a big bank. I am working with Residential Home Funding. So far they have been fantastic. THey have an office in Panther Valley which is very convenient. You can speak with Bob Deiorio. He got me started and has been a huge help.

JB400 JB400
May '16

We have first mortgages with several companies but without a doubt, Lakeland Bank has been the best to work with.

Be careful of some of the smaller companies that process loans but then sell them to larger companies. They are just mortgage brokers. This happened with one of our mortgages when we worked with the mortgage company the builder suggested and our mortgage has been sold twice so far. Each company has been terrible at customer service and keeping the proper amount in escrow for us.

Good luck!

BrandyB BrandyB
May '16

JB400, just so you know, chances are that RHF is going to be selling your mortgage to a "big bank" as soon as the ink is dry. Not that that is a bad thing necessarily, they will have to comply with the terms you made with RHF, which are probably better than you would have gotten through the big bank if you had gone to them directly.

I got my mortgage from Bob Deorio as well... I have nothing but nice things to say about him. BoA wound up buying it and eventually sold it to Nationstar... but the only thing that's changed is where I send the checks.

ianimal ianimal
May '16

We got our mortgage through Bob Deorio and have nothing good to say at all about him. In fact, we almost walked two days before the closing because I did not want to deal with the lying and backpedaling anymore.

Think used car salesman bait and switch. We were promised multiple things from the get go from RHF and suddenly when it came time for the final paperwork we were told it wasn't possible and had never been possible.

The only good thing about dealing with RHF is that they immediately sold our mortgage to another company!

NOPE
May '16

Check into First Hope Bank.

Had a similar experience with RHF as NOPE. Kept asking for the same paperwork that we had already given them multiple times. "We should have a closing date next week"...yeah, this went on for months. Then when we were ON OUR WAY to the closing, we got a call saying the amount we were to bring, which we had for months, went up $1100. Horrible experience all around.

Not good
May '16

BrandyB Lakeland no longer holds new mortgages, they sell them off. We always had Lakeland and loved them. When we refinanced last year our loan was picked up by Green tree which then became ditech. It was a nightmare. They were collecting my property taxes but never paying. Once I lodged a complaint with a couple of groups they got it fixed. If you search Hackettstown life you could find my thread.

M & K M & K
May '16

We had a good experience with Huntington mortgage in Chester. Interest rates lower than a lot of banks around and haven't had any problems with them over the years.

gm mom
May '16

I second Huntington Mortgage. Have used them several times myself. My daughter used them a couple of times, as well. Always a good experience.

M&K , I have had several mortgages with Lakeland and they never sold mine. My rates have been very low. I am in the process of a re-fi with them now. Hopefully it won't get sold off. Thanks for the info, I am going to inquire with them prior to signing my docs. Sorry for your troubles !

BrandyB BrandyB
May '16

BrandyB I always had good luck with them as well in the past. They never sold mine in the past after I signed. It just happened when I refinanced last time. I believe it started during one of their recent mergers. I would definetly ask 1st because I wouldn't go through this again if I didn't have to.

M & K M & K
May '16

Thanks M&K !

BrandyB BrandyB
May '16

Sorry some have had a bad experience, but RHF and Bob D have always been upfront, honest and polite with me (even when I was the one that screwed something up) - for the record delays and last minute costs (which are common) are mostly a result of conflicts in information presented by the seller, buyer, title company (clear title costs seem to come very last-minute and vary), home inspector, lawyers etc. there are so many pieces to the puzzle and they all have to come into place at the same time. I've been both on the Real Estate agent (I was one a few years back) and as a Client and have nothing but good things to say.

trekster3- trekster3-
May '16

Worked with Bob D at RHF for my mortgage. Wasn't a problem. He was a good guy and as others have said, it'll be sold really quickly to another company.

btownguy btownguy
May '16

I attempted to refinance with Wells Fargo a few years back - I had to give them $400 right away by credit card to apply and I kept telling "Harry" I did not want to pay $6,000 in closing fees.
Harry says don't worry, we can roll them in - NO, I don't want to add that to my mortgage - so a woman was handling the application and I would say - how much are the closing costs? and she'd say don't worry - I was worried - The final day comes up and I get the papers and see the closing costs
OH, not $6,000
but $5,800
I said - cancel it - she said you can't do that, the last thing she heard was click
so be aware

sososad sososad
May '16

Have used American Federal Mortgage for years. Three houses and three refi's between my wife and I. Always a great rate (usually the best available, actually) and closing costs are very reasonable. I use Chris McDonald. And yes, it will get sold.

MeisterNJ MeisterNJ
May '16

Watch yourselves with Huntington. When I refinanced they wanted to lump my escrow in with the new principle. I decided I'd pay my own taxes from now on. $10,000 on top of the principle. It would have cost $25,000 by the end of the loan term. They also pulled some other very shady stuff. About 7 things they did annoyed me. I was so far down the road with them (months) I just waited until they fixed everything and stayed with them. Just watch out. I thought when you're spending hundreds of thousands of dollars you'd be treated more on the up and up. For me, it was a used car dealer experience from start to finish.

Blazin
May '16

We used rhf did a desent job but did seem to loose alot of papers multiple time. He did do what he said and got it all done. Sold the loan soon after. We refinanced with Wells Fargo my friend is a broker(specialized in renovation loans). Got us a lower interest rate was able to drop our loan terms and closing costs were minimal. And closed it in like a month. Worth looking into.

Huntington mortgage in Chester: BAD BAD BADDDDDDDD!!!!!
Pete Olivieri, BADDDDDDD!!!!
Seriously.

Really??
May '16

Really?? What are the issues you had/have with Huntington? We are in pretty far getting our mortgage with Pete. Is there something specific we should be looking more closely at? Any of your experiences will be very helpful.

Malkin Malkin
May '16

Anyone else use American federal? Their rates are amazing, but I feel nervous using them.

Katew Katew
May '16

What are you nervous about Katew? I can tell you Chris McDonald is a straight shooter. We've always had a good experience. I would bet someone else chimes in and confirms.

MeisterNJ MeisterNJ
May '16

Malkin,
Just a terrible experience all around.
Was our first home purchase and what should've been a wonderful and exciting experience became the most stressful nightmare of our lives.
Everything from not getting informed of critical things on time, losing documents, calls neverrrrrrrrr returned, rates and fees changing spontaneously (there was always more money "due"), right hand never knew what the left hand was doing, I don't know, just the whole experience.

But most of all, 100000000%, was the CONDESCENDING way Pete Olivieri spoke to us/treated us. We felt like sh*t every time we talked to him. Soooo RUDE, purposely unhelpful, absent.
Just awfulllll to deal with.

Really?? Really??
May '16

We had a wonderful experience with Movement Mortgage. We went with them after trying to work with RHF. With credit scores in the 800's and over 20% down payment, RHF made us feel like we were were not qualified enough. Movement said no problem, and we closed exactly on the day that we requested. Having bought and sold other homes in the past, going with Movement was a great experience. Feel free to PM me for contact details.

Kind of surprised at the negatives. Been awhile now but never had an issue with the myriad of providers and refi's over the years. Thought it all was regulated.....

strangerdanger strangerdanger
May '16

Rates have come down dramatically the last 12 months. If you were a new homeowner that bought last year would you consider looking at refinancing options now?

Inquirer
Jun '16

Any updates/reviews of local bank refinances? It seems that this can all be done by phone now with the big banks

Gardenfish Gardenfish
Sep '16

Greg Quaresimo from Investors Bank 973-713-7019

Itiswhatitis
Sep '16

Has anyone heard of Family First Funding?

Darrin Darrin
Oct '16

Marty Straka Eagle Home Mortgage- He is awesome! He can't do enough for you!!!!!! 973 598 5006. Give him a call you will love him!! I just used him!

Jcann1 Jcann1
Oct '16

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.