Closest Chinese Buffet?

What nearby options do we have for a Chinese Buffet? The only one I can think of now is the one in the Shoprite shopping center in Byram, though it didn't look too appetizing when walking in there one time.

It seems like all the other local ones have closed down (next to Kohl's, in the ITC by Sam's, at the Rockaway Mall near the Olive Garden).

D-ManPV D-ManPV
May '16

I believe Szechuan Royal in Hastings has a lunch buffet.
There is a Hibachi Buffet in Easton Pa. for dinner.

happiest girl
May '16

I think the one in Roxbury/Ledgewood Mall is about as far away as the Byram one.

However, Szechuan Royale on week days has a kind of mini-buffet. It doesn't have as many selections as a place that's just the buffet. But it's also better quality.

Teppanyaki in Pburg.

btownguy btownguy
May '16

There's one of exit 34 called fortune buffet pretty decent and reasonably priced.

Well then Well then
May '16

There is one in PBurg my kids love...sure someone on here knows where it is...I go to one in Bangor, for the lunch price of 6.00 I feel guilty with all the seafood offered...Think dinner is 7.50.

Jo Anne Jo Anne
May '16

Fortune Buffet in Wharton. Rt 80, Exit 34, turn right into strip mall. We had lunch there a couple of weeks ago - pretty good and very reasonable.

More Japanese then Chinese, but at least its Asian. Its not cheap but its the best if you like to eat. http://www.minado.com/

not sack
May '16

I highly recommend.... http://www.minado.com/

the best in the area

LibertyThinker LibertyThinker
May '16

Agree Minado has the best buffet around in a somewhat local area.

Denis Denis
May '16

I've eaten at Minado --- although it's vegetarian selection is limited. Very good food and high quality.

happiest girl
May '16

I second Teppanyaki in PBurg. Huge selection and the price is great. It's on 22 East in the Home Goods/Marshalls shopping mall.

positive positive
May '16

I love Minado and it is my splurge place to go.

Mansfield mama Mansfield mama
May '16

positive ---
How is the vegetarian selection at Teppanyaki? I never even heard of this place!

happiest girl
May '16

Happiest girl, there's plenty of vegetarian food and a hibachi station where you pick out what you want them to cook. My daughter is vegan and she loves it. $11.99 for the dinner buffet.

positive positive
May '16

positive ....
That's great! Do they have a separate area for the vegetarian hibachi so it is not contaminated?.
Also did your daughter check about the preparation of veggies and noodle dishes --- because generally Chinese restaurants stir-fry with throwing in chicken broth.

happiest girl
May '16

I didn't notice a separate station, but I did notice that they clean the area after each order. My daughter didn't inquire about preparation, but I will mention it to her..some food for thought. Lol

positive positive
May '16

Szechuan Royale in Hastings has a small buffet that is very good....5 or 6 Trays to choice from......always fresh hot food......not all dried up from sitting all day

Honeydew Honeydew
May '16

positive -
Unfortunately, what seems like vegetarian/vegan food in Chinese restaurants usually isn't. It's common practice for them to stir-fry in oil -- and then ladle in some chicken broth for steaming and so it doesn't stick to pan.
As far as local places, Hong Kong Palace is very accommodating to dietary needs ---if you tell them you are strict vegan they will not do this. They also have added a vegetarian soup to their menu which is really delicious. Also in Budd Lake I have been to China Bowl which has a separate vegan menu. You have to ask for the menu.
Don't like the guy running the place -- he has an attitude -- but the vegan food is good!

happiest girl
May '16

Another vote for Szechuan Royale. Excellent service and the food is fresh.

hktownie hktownie
May '16

"Do they have a separate area for the vegetarian hibachi so it is not contaminated?."

Do they have a separate area to cook the meat so the meat does not become contaminated?

The Man The Man
May '16

The Man,
Yes, they will clean the hibachi for you too.
I can't remember any restaurant not accommodating my needs. Restaurants will cook my eggs in a clean frying pan rather than on the grill, same for veggie burgers.
Supermarkets even use separate slicers for the cheese and meats.
Buffets will point out which items are gluten-free for those who can't tolerate gluten.

happiest girl
May '16

The Man- Check out this video. I find it informative as it relates to either a vegetarian or non vegetarian diet. ; )

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0O_VYcsIk8

happiest girl, Why not have eggs cooked with meat, they're both animal products that come from factory farms unless deliberately specified! Those hens suffer far more in battery cages than a feedlot heifer.
Vegan/vegetarianism, unless due to true allergens to animal protein/lactose/etc or religious dietary guidelines, to me seems more important that you "vote" with your choices, not nitpick over a trace amount of hibachi grill contamination. In fact, it might make a restaurant chef or owner less likely to offer vegetarian options. Meat isn't poison, it's an ethical dilemma to those who see it that way.
Celiacs need to avoid gluten to prevent allergic gut reactions. Being so overly demanding for non-necessary reasons doesn't help promote animal welfare as I see it.

kepa
May '16

Thanks for the link. J P knows what he is talking about.

The Man The Man
May '16

kepa,
I'm not interested in "voting". What I eat is my choice and I wonder why you care what I eat. Similarly, I could tell you that dogs, rats, cockroaches and monkeys aren't poison either, so why don't you eat them?
As far as restaurants, there has never been as much vegetarian offerings as there are presently. Some places even have separate vegetarian menus, and some like Pandan Room code their regular menu making it easier to pick the meal you need.
I had fine dining at Zabava for Mother's Day where almost all the food on the buffet was vegetarian --- in fact I think there were only 3 things that were NOT vegetarian.

happiest girl
May '16

Finally made the drive down to Phillipsburg to check out Teppenyaki.

Thought it was very good especially when compared to the options that were local to us in the Hackettstown area. Looked clean, nice variety of foods, Hibachi to order was good, and the staff were nice.

Wish it was closer but will go back when I feel like some Chinese Buffet.

D-ManPV D-ManPV
Sep '16

We were looking for this place recently, but didn't find it so we settled on Sushi at Makoto. This was good, but glad to hear a good review on the other as well. Hopefully we will get there soon!

Jrt

It's in the mall with movie theaters..the old Walmart mall

Bug3
Sep '16

Oh thanks Bug3 I am not that familiar with the area so that helps!!

Jrt
At the intersection of rt 519 and 22

Bug3
Sep '16

Thanks again Bug! I know exactly where it is now:)

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.