Windows 10

Has anyone had any trouble going back to Windows 7 after installing windows 10?

The Man The Man
May '16

Haven't tried since doing a couple of new computers. But have gotten pretty close to making W10 look and feel like Windows 7.

It's a pain.

strangerdanger strangerdanger
May '16

If you did not agree and install 10, you can select "continue in their on-screen window and then decline install. System will restore to 7. Just went through this. A pain but it worked.

WCGuy WCGuy
May '16

It supports roll back but I would do a clean install

skippy skippy
May '16

I rolled back same day that I installed it on my Lenova-Had an issue that there were no 10 drivers for my internal wireless card and I really liked the way it worked...I'm getting closer to biting the bullet-it's now the only computer I have that's not w-10.

java not W10 edge browser compatible so java aps need IE11.

IE11 works in Windows 10 but not quite fully so, for example, some of the windows are small and can't be expanded. Was having issues with dragging and dropping URL shortcuts to the desktop but that went away.

Still can't drag from edge to the desktop; they want you to use start-menu. But some sites work better with edge.

In earlier versions of windows you could do the same thing numerous ways. Seems like they are reducing that to far less alternatives, sometimes only one way, to do something in Windows 10. Edge has far less variables to be able to change not that I knew what half of them did anyway.

So I have to run two MS browsers for awhile until I get fed up and move off MS browsers altogether.

May '16

I've moved to using Firefox on my laptops, tablet and phone...kinda like how things look the same on each of my devices

Problem is I care for a number of "senior pcs." They no like change especially change they can't see the value for. I don't blame them. To be able to fix their frequent "the pc just started doin..." it helps to share a common bond like OS and browsers.

For example, I used to be able to imbed login and password on the yahoo mail desktop icon but NOT have the browser save or ask you if you wanted to save for every other application. So granny could click to get to protected email but not even have the opportunity to have info saved for on-line financial, medical, and shopping pages. Now it seems to be either on or off and I can't do what I did before. I knew all the important logins and pws were deleted every time she exiting the pc. And granny always turns the machine off, power off, unplugs the pc, and hits the switch on the wall (depression baby).

Not that granny would ever do something so silly but then again, I constantly have to unsubscribe from "free" anti virus programs that have apparently magically upgraded to trial-for-money subscriptions.

I'm not quite there in terms of accepting change but don't appreciate change for changes sake or MS's sake. I really hate forced change.

W10 simplifies a lot of things making it easier for the newbie or novice. It also makes it easier for MS to not have to dabble and fix all those alternatives and options they used to have. But if you weren't heading in MS' UI direction and you don't like their choice on how to do something, you get left out and have to relearn, give up options and other dissatisfying things.

Bill Gates you let me down. You said we could do things many different ways and you gave us many options for many things. Now you are taking them back to simplify your life..... All I can say is byte me :>)

strangedanger strangedanger
May '16

https://consumerist.com/2016/06/27/woman-wins-10k-from-microsoft-for-automatic-windows-10-upgrade/

On advice from my computer repair man...Do not install windows 10. I keep getting pop ups ( I currently have Windows 7) and he said to just x them out...Hope they stop soon as it is very annoying...

Joyful Joyful
Jun '16

The free upgrade to Windows 10 will soon be over and the pop ups will stop. Unless you have an older, out of date computer that cannot handle the upgrade you should upgrade. Windows 10 is more stable, more secure, and if you have a modern computer or laptop the device drivers use less overhead making your computer faster. It also boots much quicker and hibernates\resumes much quicker. I personally would never go back to Windows 7 just for the security issues it will have now that support is ending.

Kept Windows 10, kind of like it. It not sure how to work with photos as yet.

Nature Lover Nature Lover
Jun '16

The pop up that wants you to upgrade to windows 10 is actually a windows update that will not stop. The only way to get the pop up to disappear all together is to go into windows update and view installed updates and uninstall update kb3035583. I know this number by heart because I've had to get it off of all our enterprise machines. After you uninstall it, hide the update and you are golden. No more pop up and no more automatic install of 3035583. F u Microsoft.

NoHopeForHumanity NoHopeForHumanity
Jun '16

NoHope, I hope I don't do business with the enterprise that is still on Windows 7. You can say F.U. to Microsoft but if you are using Windows 7 or 8.1 the best bet for security is Windows 10. My enterprise could not wait to get off 7, and then off 8.1 which was really for mobile apps. We have 10 on all including our new phones, seamless apps across all devices, cloud Office that is available anywhere, can't beat it. Hope you have fun living in the past.

hey guys, listen, IT support Pro on IT Support Pro aggression is not a good thing. (although i run into it far too often) It's embarrassing for the profession, so let's try and keep the mutual respect level up to snuff, please . . . .

the announced EOL (end of life) for Windows 7 from Microsoft is January 14th, 2020. MS will release security updates to that point. So it will be secure for 4 more years.

It's appropriate that you guys can differ on what is best for your respective organizations, but it's still true that there are many, many non-performing driver issues with lots of devices that Windows 10 is still struggling with. If a particular organization is affected by one of these issues heavily, they should indeed stick with win7 for a while longer.

The Win7 fans should also realize and acknowledge that Win10 does indeed port itself across phones, tablets, pcs, laptops and desktops better than Win7 ever could. That could be a real attractive reason for an organization to make the switch right now.

Win7 still has 4 years (and probably more) of secure , useful, life in the enterprise, and at a home.

BrotherDog BrotherDog
Jun '16

Yes, the security should be better and my Windows10 is OK. They have dropped a number of the options from W7 and want to force you into their new way, the MAC-like UI short changing your ability to set up a W7-like desktop. My only problem is MS has gone simple with the options and UI alternatives it offers with an OS that's not fully baked in features and reliability.

So it hangs every once in awhile and I have to hard boot. When it comes back, it dropped the frozen screen and the remaining aps are up and running. So I only lose the active screen. Big improvement over the ole blue screen!

It's harder to put URL shortcuts on the desktop and you can't embed icons in the tiles. Big wall of blue tiles. Edge does not access some web sites well and IE10 can be used, it's in there buried, but some of it's features have been snubbed off and don't work. Stuff like that forces you to the way MS wants you to do things in W10 versus letting you do things the way you want to.

Some of this is timing. To get the icons in the tiles, I guess the sponsoring company has to update it's url icon for w10. Same with website access. So we wait.

I used to be able to imbed a password in a shortcut but not make password saving either universal or even an option. Now it's all or none.

Big deal? Well, when I set up grandma's PC, all I wanted to do was have it work like it used to. Password embedding for her email was a godsend. Especially since the machine wouldn't ask her to save passwords for the other sites she frequents where I don't want them on her machine (everything gets wiped on exit). I mean if I wanted the UI to work like a MAC, I would have bought a MAC for grandma. Really not too much to ask and MS used to be the king of offering zillions of UI alternatives on how to set up and use. Now it's all so simple..... Probably got 90% to having Grandma's work like it used to, but it took a lot of hours.

Jun '16

win7 is not less secure than win10, that another myth that keeps getting pushed.

users need to be mindful of how to keep their computers secure, it's easy to open themselves up by making bad decisions on configurations. between the two OS's there really is no increase or decrease in security, they both are quite vulnerable in the same ways given bad decisions on configurations.

BrotherDog BrotherDog
Jun '16

Win 7 will continue to receive security update for 5 more years.I'm staying with Win 7.

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.