Water Pressure

I live in the Hills of Independence. Our pipes keep getting clogged, and the plumber has been telling me part of our problem is the terrible water pressure. Does anyone know who I can get in touch with to fix this?

Thanks!

Megan Megan
May '16

I suggest getting another plumber. Often a second opinion can expose an issue causing the clogged drains. I'm not sure how lack of pressure would cause poor or clogged drains.

You can check the water pressure with a pressure gauge as well. That way you can record the pressure at different times of day and such to get a base line in order to determine if in fact the lack of pressure is a problem.

The gauge screws onto a hose fitting outside or even the washing machine line.Any big box store or Amazon sells them.

Drains rely on gravity, not water pressure.

Perhaps they aren't sized, sloped, or vented correctly.

Mark Mc. Mark Mc.
May '16

Guys,

Are you sure their actual water lines are not the ones getting clogged?

I don't know any plumber that would say drains are getting clogged because of a lack of water pressure.....unless they are not really a plumber

Darrin Darrin
May '16

That's exactly what I was thinking Mark, hence the find another plumber comment! LOL.

Venting improperly will cause issues for sure. I just repaired a poor vent issue for a friend where a new laundry and powder room were added and the plumber did not vent the slop sink properly causing slow drains as well as odor. All better now! Luckily I was able to remove some drywall in the garage to have complete access to everything. That is not always the case however.

If something is "clogging" your inlet pipes, there's a bigger problem than water pressure. What would be in those pipes to cause a clog?

Mark Mc. Mark Mc.
May '16

I think we need clarification here

Megan, Is it your drain that is getting clogged, or your actual faucets

Darrin Darrin
May '16

Megan never said the word Drains, she said low water pressure

eapos eapos
May '16

Yes, eapos, but if her water pipes (supply) are clogged, I'd say low water pressure is the result, not the cause. We need clarification...

I wouldn't expect any somewhat recent house to have pipes in such poor condition that they corrode enough to cause a blockage (other than at a faucet aerator).

In any case, it sounds like a crap assessment from the plumber. If there IS a clogged supply, the fix is finding and replacing the bad section of pipe. There isn't much you can (or should need to) do to city supplied water pressure.

The only other thing I can think is that the water pressure was too high and a regulator was installed that is set too low.

Mark Mc. Mark Mc.
May '16

Mark I agree with what you say but still say that drains have not been mentioned, so it is the supply that is the problem. Also agree a new plumber is called for

eapos eapos
May '16

Check with the neighbor, and ask if their water pressure is low.

I suspect the plumber had said, the system ( potable water ) is low flow because of blockage. Flow and Pressure, are two different scenarios.

Standing pressure could measure normal at what is called lock-up. That is the maximum pressure i.e. 60 PSI. When flow due to restriction (s) will drop the pressure downstream of the restriction.

If the home has a PRV ( Pressure Reducing Valve ) which is a device that limits the pressure downstream of the device. That Valve almost always, contains a inlet water strainer. If the home has that valve in the supply water, it is the first item that should be checked. The fine mesh strainer could be blocked with debris that would reduce the flow of water volume to the home.

Second, the PRV may be clogged or be defective so as to not open fully upon pressure drop. Or as Mark Mc. said, it may be set too low?

Note: Some homes are fitted with whole house water filter system, which could be a simple as a clogged filter medium. Also if a water softener system is on the system, that could have a flow issue.

Is the flow reduced in all the faucets in the home? That would be one item to check.

Embryodad Embryodad
May '16

Ok, thank you for all the responses. let me clarify...

My pipes draining the water out of the house are clogging. The plumber always ends up needing to go down to the garage to snake it. It is always the kitchen sink that gets clogged, but he's never able to unclog it at the sink. It's ALWAYS from the garage. He says the pipes were also installed badly.

The water pressure in the entire house is low. I've been here for eight years, and it's always been bad. Not a new problem.

I hope that makes sense.

Does anyone think getting a garbage disposal would help with the clogging issue? I've heard mixed opinions.

Megan Megan
May '16

If you have large trees in the yard, it could be roots in the outside pipes. We were told to get Root Kill and pour it into the main drain out of the house to kill the roots every 3 months. Lowes and Home Depot both have it.

Mariann Mariann
May '16

I'm no expert, just a home owner for 30 years. Water pressure has nothing to do with the drain. Once it leaves the faucet it is no longer under pressure, only gravity takes it away via your drain pipes. There are so very many reasons your not draining properly, your number 1 option is a new plumber if original has not provided options or your not comfortable with his reason. Something is blocking, clogging or hindering your drainage. I'm sure it can be found.
Good luck.

Roywhite Roywhite
May '16

The pipes run parallel to the ground all along the wall in the garage. When he said the piping was installed badly I believe that's what he meant.

Also, I need to apologize. I said the wrong thing. He isn't a "plumber." In fact, he's from Franco's Drain Cleaning and suggested I call a plumber. He was not meaning to dispense advice he shouldn't be giving. He was quick to say a plumber would give better advice on how to correct the clogging issue.

He has mentioned several times though how bad the water pressure (which I've always known and been annoyed about). I was wondering if it was a neighborhood issue or limited to my home. That's why I posted on here.

I have to say, we have been incredibly happy with the service he has provided. He's inexpensive, VERY quick to come and unclog the drain, guarantees his work and has been very professional.

Megan Megan
May '16

I haven't called the plumber because until this most recent clog, I hadn't realized this will continue to be a problem (this is the third time we've had to have him come and unclog the pipe within the last year and a half I'd say). I realize now we will need a plumber (as he had suggested) to take care of the issue more permanently. I was just trying to avoid the additional expense.

Thank you again for all the suggestions!

Megan Megan
May '16

Pipes shouldn't be "parallel" to the ground (i.e. level).

http://plumbingcircle.com/blog/drain-pipes-need-pitching/

Mark Mc. Mark Mc.
May '16

Sounds like you know your problem. Drains have to be on an angle, sloped down, I do not know how much of an angel is ideal. If water does not move correctly it leaves its deposits. Call a plumber, only his time and your money could solve it. If I knew how I'd do it for you.

Roywhite Roywhite
May '16

This is crazy. We can't be the only people in this neighborhood to have this problem then. I believe the pipes are the original ones.

Ok. Well, thanks again for all the help! Guess we know what we need to do.

Megan Megan
May '16

So Megan, if it is only the kitchen sink that gets stopped up, it doesn't sound that bad.
If the toilets flush ok, and the tub / shower / lavatory's drain ok, it is probably an adjustment to the kitchen sink drainage; such as re-pitching it, or replacing it.

Especially if after the drain is cleaned, the kitchen drainage is improved.

It can be something as simple as an object sliding around the inside of the pipe, since day one when it was installed. Like a stone, or a stick, or a magic marker etc; which is not uncommon to happen when a house is under construction. Then after a while, little by little, drain debris can slowly build up until it creates another obstruction.
Just saying. ... Call a plumber, and let us know what the outcome is.

Embryodad Embryodad
May '16

If you find the right angle don't call it a angel like I did. Jeez sometimes we (me) can be so dum.

Roywhite Roywhite
May '16

Roy, your "angel" made me smile, imagining a "plumbing angel" who came to clear the pipes, lol! a pleasant typo, no need to apologize!

pmnsk pmnsk
May '16

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.