Phone Scams

I am being harrassed by a 509 area code claiming they are the IRS and won't stop calling. They leave messages, call me right back and when I answer they say I'm going to jail.
I hate when they scam people, but I am getting extremely angry with the continuous calls.
Does anyone know what I can do or who to call. Don't say the police, because they won't do anything.

Block the number?

Setting up your Call Block list and activating Call Block
Lift the receiver and listen for the dial tone.
Press . Dial 1160 on rotary or pulse-dialing phones. ...
Listen to the voice-recorded instructions for Call Block options. The phone numbers you enter on your Call Block list will be repeated to you.

"hi, this call is being recorded. "

That usually stops them quick.

btownguy btownguy
May '16

Do you have caller ID? If you do just don't answer.

outsider outsider
May '16

I began getting these phone calls about 2 weeks ago - after avoiding the calls they stopped calling (probably 5 messages in total).

I got 6 of those that just started today. I have caller ID and just don't answer - it's not worth it and only tells the scammers there's a real person at the other end. When they leave a message so I know what it's about, I just block the number.

If you don't have a phone service that can block a number, get one. There is no way to stop someone at the other end from calling. But blocking it makes it so you never have to hear it again. Only thing is in a year or two they'll start again with a couple of new numbers you have to put in your block list. It's a game that isn't going to stop any time soon.

https://www.donotcall.gov/ ?

skippy skippy
May '16

skippy - That's not only useless and a waste of time, it may actually get you calls. Scammers like this have absolutely no fear of any enforcement of the DNC list. Most are outside the US and not even in the jurisdiction it covers. And ones that are evade prosecution or even if caught pay the fines out of petty cash. Total waste of time.

ok sorry to hear - thought it worked

skippy skippy
May '16

If they're calling on a cell, specifically an iPhone, the 'block caller' feature is great for just this. I use it constantly.

Yeah, Im signed up for the DNC list, it doesn't work. I still get calls all the time

Melissa Melissa
May '16

Optimum also allows you to block callers - as does nomorobo for robocalls -though not all phone companies all you to enable it --
I would report that number that keeps calling - sometimes it helps - you can also google it and see how many others are being driven nuts by it

4catmom 4catmom
May '16

I usually come up with some really messed up story to give back in return, that has always worked in the past. Boar them with your story....try to sell them something, etc Plus it's hilarious!

Darrin Darrin
May '16

Same here. DH said we got 2 calls from the "IRS" yesterday.
Sadly a friend, who's son is going through chemo, fell prey to the HP scam. Don't think she was thinking clearly when they called and now her PC is messed up.
Rule of thumb- if a company/agency calls you-1) don't answer or 2) call the official number back yourself.

Blackcat Blackcat
May '16

Call block only works a little...they keep changing phones/numbers/area codes. I also get TONS of calls for solar panels on my roof. Don't want them....so I only answer calls that have a name attached on my caller ID..most of these robo calls/IRS, etc. DON'T.

SS2cats SS2cats
May '16

Don't recognize the call, don't answer. If it is important they will leave a message for you. Most marketing want a live body to scam. Robocalling will leave messages which you can detect after a second of listening. I once got bombarded for a few weeks and I reported the number every time (which seemed to rotate every few days)...

Follow the links on the IRS website to report

https://www.irs.gov/uac/stay-vigilant-against-bogus-irs-phone-calls-and-emails

JrzyGirl88 JrzyGirl88
May '16

I got the same call. That I was going to jail. Blah Blah Feeling startled. I Found out that the IRS will never call you direct.
When they called me again. I turned the conversation around and started asking the scammer questions. Like. What's your name? Where are u calling from? where do you live? When's your birthday? What's your SS#. ? The scammer got mad and hung up. Matter of fact I always act like that on the phone to all pushy Sales calls, They get pissed off and hang up!! They don't call again. I get my kicks out of it.

Yah - don't answer the phone...

Yes, DDB....your always gonna get these cruddy calls, so might as well have fun with it, because telling them not to call back never seems to work any more.

Darrin Darrin
May '16

I've been getting the IRS calls as well. They must be calling everyone in Warren County? I just don't answer the phone.

Cquarno Cquarno
May '16

The current IRS one will leave a number to call back. When the number is made, the caller gets charged- similar to calling a "Dial a Psychic". That's the call we've been getting..

Blackcat Blackcat
May '16

DDB - I got the same "IRS agent" (with a thick foreign accent) call, telling me that I was "going to jail", even though I have religiously filed income taxes all my life. I told this guy that HE might be going to jail, and he hung up. This was in February and he never called since. Does sound like you had more fun with it, though.

DannyC DannyC
May '16

We've gotten 7 IRS calls, in the last month. Finally my husband stayed on the phone with them, pretending to go along. Then he would start talking about his family, friends, (not real names), what he ate for dinner last night, etc. When they would try to redirect him back to the scam, he would say "sure... but let me tell you what my aunt did last week "....on and on... it would have been a funny utube video, and they finally gave up. I know the police warned about this, on their website, but I feel bad for older folks, who may be struggling with dementia, and would be scared enough to buy into it. Tell everyone you know about this scam and tell them to spread the word, to. If it helps even one person from getting beat out of money, it's worth it. I'm sure there's a few people who could get scared into falling prey, but the majority is aware of this.

sparksjbc1964 sparksjbc1964
May '16

I get these calls from the IRS too but they are robo calls so it's impossible to have a conversation with them. Very frustrating.
For others with a live person, I tell them I'm interested in whatevee they are selling and ask them to hold on a moment. I then set the phone down and go about my business untill they get the hint and hang up. It's wasting their time and it's kinda funny to hear them yelling "hello?" from the phone across the room.

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
May '16

LOL... it's more like:"eeellll-ooooo?...eeeellll-ooooo?"!

May '16

I've never received IRS calls, but telemarketers call all the time. Caller ID doesn't always give the name, so not answering is not an option for me. I have many friends from different states and their names don't always come up, especially from a cell phone. I missed a visit from an old friend passing through the area because I chose not to answer their call and they assumed I wasn't home. But I have started using an old Seinfeld bit from his show. I tell them "I am very interested, but this is a bad time. Give me your home phone number and I'll call you later." They then just hang up, knowing I'm screwing with them, and they aren't going to get a sale. It doesn't stop the calls, but it gives me some satisfaction, and the calls aren't going to stop anyway.

Parental Unit Parental Unit
May '16

The phone companies have the technology and the approval to block these robo calls from the FCC , yet choose not to do that . More phone calls made even from fraudulent spam calls = more money for them , much the same way the Post Office loves junk mail since it puts more money in their pockets . Until some kind of law is passed forcing them to do that , which I'm sure the communications lobby will do everything in it's power to see that it's not , you are on your own .

I use the call blocking features on Communistcast which bans all blocked numbers and unnamed calls , plus allows you to block 25 numbers , and recently got a phone which will ban an additional 250 . Unfortunately Nomorobo blocks all calls when installed . Since this practice happens with retired people more than anyone else , I wouldn't doubt that the scammers have hacked into AARP / AMAC and like organization databases . Hopefully pending legislation will force the communication companies to do what's right and not just profitable !

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/maybe-its-time-to-start-robocalling-the-phone-companies_us_564b582be4b045bf3df0f05c

Zombo Zombo
May '16

I keep getting calls from 585-858-2103 on my cellphone the last couple of days. I finally answered one today and they said they were from the Microsoft Tech Support and wanted me to hit the Microsoft button on my keyboard. I told him that I had Apple (not really) and he asked me "so you have Apple?" and I said you tell me. I asked where his office is and he said NJ. Since I could hardly understand him, I said I think you are lying. He then put me on hold with a message that kept saying "you are a mother f'er, you are a mother f'er" so I hung up and gotta good laugh.

Redwing
May '16

70 people arrested in India for the IRS calls.

http://abc27.com/2016/10/06/dozens-arrested-at-india-call-center-linked-to-irs-scam-calls/

Calico696 Calico696
Oct '16

I recommend HIYA, an app to block and identify scam and spam calls before you pick up...
this is for smart phones, not for rotary phones..

BrownEyesGuy BrownEyesGuy
Oct '16

True caller is helpful

4catmom 4catmom
Oct '16

Seriously, someone thought buying gift vouchers and reading their ID number on a phone call would settle their IRS claim..?

Denise Denise
Oct '16

"The scam brought in more than $150,000 a day" unbelievable! I am sure many of the victims were elderly, it's disgraceful.

Hopefully now the IRS calls will stop.

The kidnap scam is another recent one.
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/fbi-warns-of-telephone-extortion-scam-virtual-kidnappings/

hktownie hktownie
Oct '16

It's simple, don't answer calls from numbers you don't recognize.

If they're legitimate they will leave a message and a number to call back.

JerryG JerryG
Oct '16

I'm going back to Mumbai in December. Maybe I'll stop by the office and bash some heads (now that I know where they are.) LOL.

In all seriousness, the living conditions there are horrendous so I'm not surprised that many of these scams are based in India. We were told to never give money to any of the beggars no matter how destitute they looked. Most times, they're part of a larger criminal operation that recruits the desperately poor (and pays them pennies a day) while the bosses keep the money.

emaxxman emaxxman
Oct '16

While it's easy to say just don't answer these calls, it makes my blood boil when one call comes after another after another on home as well as cell phones, do not block does not work anymore. I will try one of those apps for my smartphone, but they keep coming on the home phone and it's annoying the times they call also. It should be illegal to sell a list with our phone numbers to begin with...

Iluvsnow
Oct '16

optimum lets me block numbers as does my cell phone

4catmom 4catmom
Oct '16

I was diddly fartin around on the computer last saturday, and this stop robo calls popped down / up from Comcast.
We have the TV / Internet / and Telephone ( Xfinity Voice ), through Comcast.
I filled it out step by step. It did say not available for landlines or cell phones yet, but it really worked. I paid nothing, and agreed to NO Contract.

Ha Ha Ha .... I cannot believe, the house is quiet again. I can sleep in on a Saturday, and not get the stupid phone calls early AM and even at supper time when we just sit down to eat. 6 day's now, and we haven't had one phone call from those solar installers,, and Microsoft telling me I have an infection on my computer that they can fix it for me. yadda yadda yadda! ....And the # not available's ....
It sort of scares me that someone cut the phone line, and I pick up the phone just to see if we still have a dial tone.

Looks like it applies to work with other phone carriers that are listed on the sign up page.
https://www.nomorobo.com/signup

BTW.... at the end of the sign in, and after you add the special phone number they give you, they run a test and it rings your phone. ..... That's It!

Embryodad Embryodad
Oct '16

Embryodad- If it says not available for landlines or cell phones yet how is this working? Don't the robo calls come on either the landline or cell phone??? That doesn't make sense to me, and what do you mean that someone cut the phone line?

Iluvsnow
Oct '16

iluvsnow - I think the comment about cutting the phone line was he's getting so few calls compared to before, he wonders if the phone is still even working. That's why he said he picks it up just to make sure there's still a dial tone.

The way it works is all those services it works with are voice over IP (VoIP), otherwise known as internet phones. They route the call from what ever the other end is to their internet connection, then forward it to your internet connection to the device they give you. Something like NoMoRobo works by having your service route the call to them, they filter it, and then forward on calls only if it passes their list of bad numbers. This is extremely similar to the way spam filters work with email.

Too bad it doesn't work with my carrier, Basic Talk. But I filled it out anyway to double check and it said I will receive an email if it becomes available. Thanks for posting the link Embryodad.

I've gotten used to (but still get annoyed) so many darn calls that when the phone rings, I don't even bother to get up or look at it anymore. I even question why I still have a home phone, but for some reason I just can't "cut the cord."

I'm now using https:Truecaller on my iphone - it helps - easy to use - and free: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.truecaller&hl=en

4catmom 4catmom
Oct '16

It's terrible. people from other countries stealing scamming jobs from American criminals....

I've gotten many of these calls also. Yesterday two people on one call to my parents tried to get them to give them $8,000 to get my one son out of jail in Newark. At least they didn't fall for it. What was scary was they knew what to call my son's grandparents. Almost makes me want to think it was someone that we know. Beware!

Magpie Magpie
Oct '16

they are merciless: https://www.nomorobo.com/

4catmom 4catmom
Oct '16

Hey! If anyone needs a phone number, to view a website that requires one, and you don't want to put in your own number , use the scammers number. I'm sure we've got lots of choices of numbers, by now. LOL

Oct '16

Sorry to say, but I don't think there is a way to stop them completely. Your best strategy is to just hang up immediately, or if you have caller ID, don't even pick-up the phone if you do not recognize the number. I know, everyone is afraid they will miss an important call; but you know what, if the call is legitimate, there is a 99% chance the caller will leave a message and you can call them back right away. Stop being a slave to your phone. There is no law that says you have to answer it when it rings, or to listen to the caller. ( So I do not have to listen to the ringing I pick up the receiver and hang it back up.). Let voice mail screen your calls for you.

JBJSKJ JBJSKJ
Oct '16

Thank you GC for clarifying..lol

Iluvsnow
Oct '16

Does anyone know how to stop texts from a business? I keep getting these texts from some kind of sports betting outlet. I'm not sure why, I have never subscribed to anything like that. Anyway, I have tried texting back "stop", "quit", "remove" and "unsubscribe" and none are working. I also tried calling the number and it rings and rings and then says that no voicemail account has been set up.

Help!!!!

Calico696 Calico696
Jan '18

Is your phone smart enough to have a "block sender" option?

ianimal ianimal
Jan '18

Calico, Do you have a smart phone? If so there should be an option to block calls. If no, your carrier might be able to put a block on the number for you. Hope this helps.

I have a flip phone.

Calico696 Calico696
Jan '18

Yes, have the number blocked if you can.

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Jan '18

I have done this with unwanted texts:

If you are an AT&T, T-Mobile, Verizon, Sprint or Bell subscriber, you can report spam texts to your carrier by copying the original message and forwarding it to the number 7726 (SPAM), free of charge.

I don't know if you can forward a text from a flip phone, but worth a try....

dadogmomma dadogmomma
Jan '18

Does your phone give you options when you open a text? Forward, Reply, etc.? There has to (should) be an option to block the number.

ianimal ianimal
Jan '18

ianimal - My options are:

Forward
Reply With Copy
Send As Quick Text
Lock
Add To Contacts
Extract Addresses
Message Info
Readout

Calico696 Calico696
Jan '18

time to retire the flip phone -

4catmom 4catmom
Jan '18

4cat - Thanks for you opinion on how I should run my life, but I like my phone. You know what they say.....less is more.

Anyway, I took dadogmomma's advice (thank you) and sent it to that number as spam. They texted me back and gave me instructions on how to block the number on the Verizon website. The only odd thing is that it said that the block will expire in 90 days. The only way to block it permanently is to pay. Sigh.....

Calico696 Calico696
Jan '18

It's telling you something Calico - time to retire the flip phone. ;-)

NEVER! Flip phone forever!!!!! LOL

Calico696 Calico696
Jan '18

So funny, I have an iPhone but I really did love my LG 8300 flip phone!

Still have my original flip phone too, Calico696.

joyful joyful
Jan '18

Maybe change your cell phone number and don't give the number out to anyone but close family and friends ? I consider myself a cell phone Luddite , but have over 10k Tracfone minutes saved up over the years for talk/text/data on my bring your own phone 100 dollar Moto G play 4 - tracfone service is 125 bucks for the year/w 1500 minutes. I keep data off most of the time(use wifi instead)and get my kindle books and amazon music(play music through a blutooth speaker or ear buds)features through amazon prime as well as free apps from the google play app store. I've come to think of it as a mini tablet that also gets phone service and text .

97XBAM 97XBAM
Jan '18

Calico, are you still using a really old flip phone, or have you replaced? My parents were ardent flip phone users but even they couldn't find a new one to replace with at their last "upgrade". The phones didn't hold charges anymore and flip phones weren't an option so they were basically forced into smart phones.

Tracy Tracy
Jan '18

Tracy - It's about 3 years old. I will be like your parents, I will not give up my flip phone until I cannot get one anymore. :-)

My husband and dad still roll with the flip phone as well!

Calico696 Calico696
Jan '18

I saw this posted on the Warren County Facebook page.

Don't be a victim of scammers! Our Division of Aging & Disability Services has been notified that seniors in this area are getting FRAUD calls from a number identifying itself as “Social Security Administration”. The number displayed may appear to be that of the SSA's toll free number, or may be one digit off (ending in 8 instead of 3). Here is a link to a Fraud Advisory from the Office of the Inspector General with more details, and how to report potential fraud:

https://oig.ssa.gov/newsroom/news-releases/oct19-advisory

Calico696 Calico696
Nov '18

if you get 1 on the phone, and you know it's a scam, loudly SCREAM: "this call is being tracked with the police dept."

Hackresident Hackresident
Nov '18

If I don't know the caller- at least on my cell phone - I don't answer. If they legitimately want to speak with me they will leave a message. I use, free, nomorobo, which blocks all robocalls on my landline.
On my cell - same thing - don't answer if I don't know the number and there's no name. I use something called Truecaller to check the call if no message was left - and block the number..........I have reported some scam calls to the appropriate agencies - phony bank, utility etc scams.............

4catmom 4catmom
Nov '18

I read somewhere, and have used it myself many times, to when answering an unknown number, on either my cell or my home phone, answer with "Sherrif's Department, Fraud Division". Obviously it does not work for recorded messages, but when it's a real person, they hang up very quickly. It doesn't stop the calls, but I do get some satisfaction doing it.

Nov '18

That's great, Parental Unit!

alpha1beta alpha1beta
Dec '18

I use Voice Over IP. I can block any call that I wish. In conjunction with that I use Nomorobo. The service I use that I am pleased with is Phone Power. I used to get many unwanted calls and that has virtually stopped. I must have blocked over 200 numbers. They service costs me about $25 per month. I have been using them for the last few years. I have been very pleased with them.

Scot Gerard Scot Gerard
Dec '18

"Federal Student Loans"

Did anyone get a tape-recorded message today about your so-called "Federal Student Loan" that you still owe money on, and the lady gave a "reference number" also?

Don't call it back, it's a scam. I have no children who still owe money on their student loans, nor do I !

Hackresident Hackresident
Jun '19

I get many calls from what appears as a local number. I'm always afraid to not answer thinking it might be family or friend needing help immediately and borrowing someone else's phone for whatever the reason. If they don't get me they may just go on to someone else for help without leaving a message, when I am available. It happened to me when I forgot my phone at home and was locked out of my car in pouring rain. A very kind gentleman offered me his phone. Thankfully my friend answered the unknown number.

Jun '19

Never answer an unknown number- if it’s important they will leave a message.

Hackresident

I get those ones all the time & never answer because I never had a student loan.

I also get one that keeps saying (on voice mail) that I have some kind of appointment at what sounds like some division of the hospital, but when it is about to give out the number to reply if I can't make it, the recording always stops. The length of the message isn't always the same, so I know it's not that the voice mail cuts it off, the recorded voice always stops just short of giving out the number. It must be trying to get me to call the original number back. Yeah, SURE I'm going to call...

Phil D. Phil D.
Jun '19

No one should ever get locked out of their car ever . And that was true 30 years ago as it it is today . A duplicate key on your keychain that is always in your pocket and a hide a key on your vehicle prevents that . If all else fails an AAA membership will send someone to unlock the car no matter what phone number they are called from - a message left for a close friend from a stranger's phone works too when you tell them where you are and what your situation is if they are home at that time . I got a call from my own phone number on caller ID twice . Would anyone answer that to see what they are trying to sell themselves ? I do believe some people would , in fact I know some of those clueless fools . If it's important the caller will leave a message .

97XBAM 97XBAM
Jun '19

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.