Interior Barn Door Installation

Hi everyone. We live in PV and would like to put a barn door on to have the ability to close off a room with no door. The opening is an abnormal size. It is a little over 46 inches wide and a little over 87 inches tall. Also, we would like it to match the other doors in the house, so we would like it to be white wood. We have no idea where to start with materials or installation. We are not very handy, so we would like to hire someone to install it. Any suggestions?

Happy PV Res Happy PV Res
May '16

http://www.homedepot.com/b/Doors-Windows-Doors-Interior-Closet-Doors-Barn-Doors/N-5yc1vZcazi

Probably pretty straightforward for any handy man to install... You might need to drop the header to a standard door height though, which would add drywall and paint work into the mix.

Mark Mc. Mark Mc.
May '16

Do you have the door and the hardware to install?
I ordered a barn door and bought the hardware from ebay.

Sherry Sherry
May '16

No, we haven't bought anything yet. Looking for where to buy and someone to install.

May '16

Barn door? How about French Doors if the idea is to close off the room?

Contact Jeremy for handyman work - 908-892-6380. He will measure where you want the door & pick it up for you & install it. He has done fabulous work in my house in PV as well as many of my neighbor's houses. Good Luck!

Re: Interior Barn Door Installation

Happy PV Res- Scott's woodworks in Long Valley made my door. If you want pm me and I can give you all his information. I also went on ebay and got 2 barn door kits. I still have a horeshoe available. I would have to see if we will be using it, but if not it's an 8ft track, and I may be able to sell it.
Here is a picture of the door I had Scott make.

Sherry Sherry
May '16

What "type" of room are you shutting off and what does it adjoin? Might make a difference in type of door I would recommend. Sounds like you are closing off a storeroom or pantry, but if it's a different type of room, like dining room or family room, you may want to choose other options like French or glass paneled.

Twas a million years ago, but I have had doors custom made for abnormal size. It can be done, but not really cost effective for a pantry entry.

strangerdanger strangerdanger
May '16

Sherry - Very nice. This is a slider kit, right? Don't see any hinges, and like the look. I put in similar, but double doors in my house in Wayne, with French door style hidden hinges, lacking the space for double door pockets and not wanting the slider door offsets (one in front of the other, not flush closing). The doors added a lot of character. Scott sounds like a talented carpenter. Happy PV Res - If I can help please let me know.

DannyC DannyC
May '16

Danny C- Thank you and yes it is. I love the way it turned out. Changed the whole look of the room. Now closer and closer to selling the house.

Sherry Sherry
May '16

It's for a room that's kind of like a basement. When you walk into our townhouse, it's the room straight in front of you. It also has the laundry in it. We would like to put the door up because we have two cats that love to bite on all of the wires from the electronics in there. We would prefer a barn door because if we get French doors they will still see someone in there and cry outside the door. It's the one room we need to keep them out of.

Thank you everyone for your suggestions!

May '16

Happy PV, make sure the door is heavy enough or has a latch so that the cats can't open it. My little angels can open every sliding closet door in my house (as well as the drawers, cabinets, and fridge, but that is another story). Don't know how persistent yours are, but figured I'd mention it since you say it's specifically to ward off your kitties.

Cat mom Cat mom
May '16

This week's home depot's flyer has a sale on barn door/kit.

http://localad.homedepot.com/HomeDepotSD2/LocalAd?viewTaskName=ExternalDirectView&DM_PersistentCookieCreated=true&storeid=2399422#!/store/2399422/promotion/HD-160505-T050516?currentpagenumber=13&viewmode=single

Nancy Jensen Nancy Jensen
May '16

My husband does automatic doors, commercial and residential doors. He said to go to barndoorshardware.com. You can contact my husband with any questions since he would need to personally talk to you to hear about your preference. You can contact him at 908-343-1834. His name is Rob and we are located in Hope.

Annemarie Annemarie
May '16

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.