Omnia insurance from Horizon

I was wondering if anyone has gotten insurance through Horizon. I am currently covered by my job, but am considering changing jobs in a few months. Thought I might purchase my own insurance and get quotes for my family too. Anybody have Omnia Bronze, Gold, Platinum?? What is the approximate cost per month? Thank you.

Mansfield mama Mansfield mama
Apr '16

I have Omnia Silver for myself. Without subsidy, the cost per month is $847.03. Before the ACA became law, my insurance cost me $301.00/month and provided far better coverage.

slade v 2.0 slade v 2.0
Apr '16

Spade v 2.0, Thank you for your info. I knew the policy would be expensive. How much of a subsidy do you get to defray the cost? I currently pay about $650 a month for myself and my family,taken out of my pay at work.

Apr '16

We are on an extremely low fixed income...I'll put this out there for all to see....My husband and I have an annual income of $40K. He is on SS and has medicare. With my subsidy, I still must pay a monthly premium of $503.03. That, plus our medications, take an enormous chunk of our monthly income.

You can go on healthcare.gov to search and compare plans, premiums and insurance companies. Obviously, I am not a fan of ACA and if I had a choice, would avoid it at all costs. In comparing plans, I would encourage you to look at what each plan specifically covers.

For example, recently I needed an MRI scan that required contrast dye. The test was covered, but the contrast dye was not covered unless I was an inpatient at the hospital. Made no sense to me as it would cost Horizon far more money for me to be in the hospital than just to ok the contrast and let me have the test.

I know there is no way to anticipate everything that may or may not happen to you and your family. If you are happy with the coverage you have with your current employer, I would advise looking on healthcare.gov for policies that closely match what you have now and hope for the best and of course, read the fine print.

slade v 2.0 slade v 2.0
Apr '16

Thank you very much. I will look at that website.

May '16

The only good comments I have ever heard about ACA are from unemployed youth who are not on their parents plans. Expensive for most, as slade kindly proved here.

maja2 maja2
May '16

When I looked at Omnia. Hackettstown hospital was covered as a level 2, so higher deductible to meet, higher co insurance. I went with a Amerihealth plan, there are alot of different options on the exchanges, for us ACA saved us lots on our premiums but our rates were crazy high (1400/month)before the new law.

Carol's Mom
May '16

The Affordable Care Act doesn't sound affordable.

kb2755 kb2755
May '16

kb2755 - It depends on who for. Folks like Mansfield Mama and Slade were already covered by their employers. Typically those plans were 50% of the cost of buying it on your own. The people who used to buy their own are the ones who are benefiting - their rates have gone down about 25%. That's at least the story in NJ. Every state is different.

Mansfield Mama - Even with lower rates for individuals, you still aren't going to want to get it on your own. Employers get *far* better rates, ACA or not. Best bet is to talk to an independent agent who can compare companies for you.

Thanks GC. I will do that.

May '16

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.