2016 Thunderstorm Thread

A severe thunderstorm watch has been issued for our area until 9:00 pm. There is some heavy stuff on the radar already.

We had a real doozy of a storm roll through Oxford around 2:30 this morning. Did it hit H'town as well? I have no idea which direction it was traveling.

Calico696 Calico696
Apr '16

Something wicked rolled past my house at 2:15 this morning... heavy rain, lightning and crazy strong winds.

ianimal ianimal
Apr '16

We had pretty much the same in Independence, Calico... around 2 or so this morning. Our entire bedroom lit up with one of those bouts of lightening and the thunder was horrendous. Another storm passed through here a bit ago,

joyful joyful
Apr '16

Yeah here on Alphano the skies erupted at 2:15. Loudest thunder I've ever heard. Really crazy storm. Wish I didn't have to try and sleep through it.

Re: 2016 Thunderstorm Thread

Thunderstorms could only have been invented by humanz. I hate you for this - I had to run and hide early in the morning and now I had to go behind the washing machine just to find a safe place. What crap...

Sugar Sugar
Apr '16

The Watch has been cancelled for our area as the greatest area of instability has shifted southeast into central NJ on south. Looks like a beautiful night ahead!

Yep some storm last night with some wicked cloud to ground lighting and much needed soaking rains. Approx half an inch.

My poor dog was hiding around 2am. The thunder and lightening with strong winds and rain was enough to wake up the dead!

Christine Christine
Apr '16

Wake the dead? Maybe. Sheanimal? Not a chance... I couldn't believe it. Not a twitch, lol.

In the meantime, I used the opportunity to clear out three episodes of Blindspot from my DVR cuz I was up all night afterwards.

ianimal ianimal
Apr '16

Latest briefing package from NWS Mt Holly concerning tomorrow's (Sunday) severe weather potential for our area. Plan any outdoor events accordingly!

https://t.co/ccy74sG7yS

Severe thunderstorms heading our way. Heads up over the next few hours.

Calico696 Calico696
Jul '16

There goes fire pit night. Damn it!

emaxxman emaxxman
Jul '16

We could have severe storms this evening. Tornado warnings are in place for NY as well as NYC, & Conneticut.

happiest girl
Jul '16

emaxx - It will be out of here way before fire pit time.

Calico696 Calico696
Jul '16

Was that all? All bark and no bite.

emaxxman emaxxman
Jul '16

Yup. We got about 30 drops of rain as it pass right by us.

Calico696 Calico696
Jul '16

It's supposed to be worse later tonight in "round two". But who knows, it could miss again.

Looking at the radar, round two doesn't look too promising right now.

Calico696 Calico696
Jul '16

Only 0.02 " here in Hackettstown but torrential downpours in Denville and Rockaway.

KMC77
Jul '16

Rain-a-&@*!%*$-geddon you stupid humanz!!

What the &@*!%*$ is wrong with you! It's the end of the world!!!

Sugar Sugar
Jul '16

Lots of thunder, but completely missed my neighborhood.

Calico696 Calico696
Jul '16

Very dark and raining for awhile here in Madison.

Tracy Tracy
Jul '16

Lightening hit the Mars parking lot and caused a brush fire

Nosila Nosila
Jul '16

Lightning caused the traffic light in Mt Olive to stop working... what a mess of traffic.

Vasa park is out. But here in town,think I counted 52 raindrops.

Dansker Dansker
Jul '16

It looks like Mt. Olive took the brunt of the storms. Lots of downed trees and power lines. I just came in to work this morning and River Road has power lines down the center of the road from Flanders-Drakestown to Stephens Mill Road. Not passable. The light is also out at the intersection of Flanders-Bartley Road and Rt. 206.

Tracy Tracy
Jul '16

Someone posted on my garden fb page for people to go up and check their gardens this morning. They said there was quite a bit of damage done. When I was coming home from work yesterday, there was a huge black cloud and I thought I was headed into it in town, apparently that was the storm that hit Mount Olive. It was pretty scary looking!

Bessie Bessie
Jul '16

It was a torrential rain yesterday in Morris Plains for at least 2 hours (with some short 5 minutes breaks). And it looks like I have to water my garden here in Hackettstown.

Lena, same in Cedar Knolls, poured for what seemed like hours. Nothing here in town and armogeden in Mount Olive, crazy!

Bessie Bessie
Jul '16

Left the H-town pool shortly after 3 when they had reports of lightening in the area. Went to Target- just black skies- no rain. Stopped at Lowes, once again black skies in the distance, no rain. Went down Schooleys to pick up a pizza and it was a deluge all the way down. Came back up the mountain and it was letting up here on the mountain. Crazy....

Blackcat Blackcat
Jul '16

Yeah, they are very local and pocketed this year. A few storms did not exist and then suddenly appeared at the Delaware Water Gap. I mean they didn't come from rolling in from the North or West, they started at the Gap.

Others have either disappeared at the Gap or split North and South which is not that unusual a feature. (thank you Kittattiny Ridge).

It's been great but wonder when our time will come and will we make up for our luck so far.

strangerdanger strangerdanger
Jul '16

Tornado Warning until 3:15 pm for Warren County.

Heads up all. Bad stuff coming through!

Calico696 Calico696
Jul '16

It's sure here in PV - got home just in time

4catmom 4catmom
Jul '16

Just pulled in our drive also in Independence and it is pouring....3 :10 pm

Joyful Joyful
Jul '16

Not home, but saw through the webcam that the storm looks like it passed. The deck furniture is still there ;)

JayP831 JayP831
Jul '16

Heard a barn was destroyed in White

Nosila Nosila
Jul '16

I saw it on radar as it was on the other side of Wilkes-Barre. Knew I needed to sit down with Sugar and have a little chat about what was coming. No matter how much I can reassure the cat, she's positive the world is coming undone the minute that first crack of thunder is in the distance. Luckily, she's survived yet another apocalypse. Behind the washing machine.

Very fast moving storm. I saw our camera was pitch black in the house at 3:12; storm came in like a bullet in Madison around 3:30. Sideways rain and wind. Power flickered here too. Bright sunshine again now. Hope everyone is safe and sound.

Tracy Tracy
Jul '16

There are trees down on Rockport Road near Port Murray.Many trees down and powerlines are down along Jackson Valley Road near the Hoffman Road intersection.

We dodged a bullet here on this side of town in Oxford. No damage. Heard about some damage by Oxford Lake with people trapped as downed trees are blocking the entrance/exit to the Lake.

Here is a photo of the barn that was damaged in White Twp.

The poor little chirpy birds are so drenched they are having trouble with take off.

auntiel auntiel
Jul '16

Vic, that barn, was it on rt 519?

Mansfield mama Mansfield mama
Jul '16

Yes Mansfield mama rt 519.

Thanks Vic. Do you know if any wires are down on Westervelt road?

Jul '16

Mansfield mama not sure about westervelt rd but here is more info on that barn!

http://www.lehighvalleylive.com/weather/index.ssf/2016/07/funnel_cloud_seen_barn_knocked.html#incart_river_mobileshort_home

Pretty amazing.

Jul '16

I got hit pretty good, half a dozen big branches and one HUGE branch (8"-10" diameter, about 30ft long) came down.

I HAVE RESCUED SOME BABY BIRDS.... does anyone know if there's someplace I could take them? I scooped them up and put them in a box, along with the remnants of their nest. They can't fly, and some of their eyes aren't even open.... I just don't know what do do with them, and don't want to leave them for the predators....

JeffersonRepub JeffersonRepub
Jul '16

Jul '16

Raptor Trust would probably take them.

Blackcat Blackcat
Jul '16

Wow....that must have been some storm. I wasn't at home in Oxford when it came through, but there is crap down everywhere. Luckily my street was spared, but power is out. Cable, phone and internet just came back up.

Calico696 Calico696
Jul '16

JR -
Avian Center - 973-702-1957 (Wantage)
Rocky Springs - 908-835-9991 (Broadway)

Ask for advise -- maybe you should leave them for the mother to find & rescue?
Don't know -- call and ask.

happiest girl
Jul '16

Washington Boro was a mess about an hour ago. Some traffic lights are out on 57. Tons of trees down or damaged.

The box is on top of my grill, in hopes that predators (cats) won't be able to get up there... and one of the babies was chirping, I'm hoping mom finds them, but she could be dead, after that storm, for all I know....

Jul '16

Should I maybe bring them in the garage for the night if I'm going to take them to a sanctuary?

Jul '16

Mansfield got hit hard

Nosila Nosila
Jul '16

Another one

Nosila Nosila
Jul '16

Rocky springs closed several years vago. Raptor trust is your best bet. We've made a couple of trips there already.

Dansker Dansker
Jul '16

I PM'd you JR. If you can't get them to a rehab center tonight I can take them. I know how to care for them and have the necessary equipment and nutrition on hand.

Rebecka Rebecka
Jul '16

Rebecka - it's good to see you post again :-)

Don't keep them outside overnight!!!! JR, "follow" Rebecka's advice and get them to her asap. They are newborns, they need to eat. Let us know.

auntiel auntiel
Jul '16

Glad to see you Rebecka! Let us know how babies do.

Dansker Dansker
Jul '16

Birds are safe, warmed up, and recently had their first meal.
(One died of internal injuries before he arrived, no doubt sustained in his fall from the tree.)
I'll keep them until I can get them to a rehab center. Antler Ridge might actually be coming to me this weekend to release some of their rehabbed wildlife on our property, so I might not even have to make the trip.

Rebecka Rebecka
Jul '16

Good boy JR. They must have been starving. Their bellies are full and they are warm and safe. Thanks Rebecka.

auntiel auntiel
Jul '16

This is HL at its best :)

maja2 maja2
Jul '16

Thanks JR and thank you so much Rebecka...you have a heart of gold.

Joyful Joyful
Jul '16

Shout out to the Harding Township/Madison/Chatham authorities and crews for getting every tree, power line, utility pole cleaned up and fixed so the roads could be open again this morning. I was really surprised, since the area looked like a war zone last night and every road and route I use to get home was blocked. It took me almost 2 hours.

Tracy Tracy
Jul '16

Yes, Rebecka to the rescue!! I can't disclose the location of her secret lair, upon threat of death. :)

Jul '16

All these severe thunderstorms are making my long commute even longer!!!! Trees/powerlines everywhere last Friday and again last night!! Ugh.

Have a nice storm free weekend :-)

Dallas Dallas
Jul '16

We now have a confirmed tornado yesterday in White Twp per NWS:

https://nwschat.weather.gov/p.php?pid=201607152238-KPHI-NOUS41-PNSPHI

Wow. I was wondering if they were going to confirm an actual tornado.

Jul '16

Severe thunderstorm watch for our area until 8 pm. The radar is looking pretty colorful already. Impossible to know what will hit where. Heads up!

Calico696 Calico696
Jul '16

The radar look so similar to that last storm we had. Big line started out in Wilkes Barre and just slammed on in.

I've got a cat to warn. Like right now....

Goody. The last storm broke the air conditioner in our rental property, and it's being fixed as I type. What's next?

Tracy Tracy
Jul '16

Can I just sleep through this and say it never happened??

Sugar Sugar
Jul '16

Poured here on Russling Road but nothing on Alphano Road.

It's going to be a long ride home again. Ugh

Dallas Dallas
Jul '16

Yikes yet another barn collapse in the County. This time in Franklin:

http://www.lehighvalleylive.com/warren-county/index.ssf/2016/07/barn_damaged_power_cut_to_thou.html#incart_river_mobileshort_home

A severe thunderstorm watch is in effect until 8:00 pm. Keep your eye on the radar and your barn.

Calico696 Calico696
Jul '16

Dark as night here in Hope.

mike l mike l
Jul '16

pouring in PV

4catmom 4catmom
Jul '16

The cat has seen 4 Horsemen riding up and down our street. What could this mean??

I am NOT HAPPY!! Those horses are scary, GO AWAY!!!

Sugar Sugar
Jul '16

@ Sugar:

You're just too adorable with those little paws over your face!

Courtney
Jul '16

Courtney - adorable until she can't take the loud booms any more, gets up crouched so low her belly is on the floor, and scurries away like a coyote was chasing her. She hides in the mud room behind the washing machine. She unfortunately really suffers during the loud noises. 4th of July wasn't much better. But thanks for the comment anyway. ;-)

Thanks for thinking of us Courtney! My sister is so much better today, we're having a sister-to-sister snoozerooskie. I'm right here holding her paw if we have any of that nasty again this afternoon.

White Shoes White Shoes
Jul '16

Awwh! White Shoes...you are such a good sister kitty to Sugar!

Joyful Joyful
Jul '16

That's so sweet, White Shoes!

Courtney
Jul '16

The radar to the south west of us is already lit up like a Christmas tree. Philadelphia and Delaware are getting hammered. We may or may not get some of the worst of the leading edge, but it sure looks like some kind of rain one way or the other.

Weather channel is saying a 6PM start, but from the radar it likes like maybe an hour or so away. And now, I have a cat I need to chat with....

I welcome the rain. My lawn and the reservoirs need it.

Calico696 Calico696
Jul '16

Who doesn't have power in Hackettstown? I have a friend who lives off off Rt 46 and they do not have power as of 7pm.

Jul '16

We lost ours but have been told by jcp&l that it's back on. Went out for something to eat so hopefully it will be back on when we get home.

Bessie Bessie
Jul '16

It's back on. A transformer on Grand Ave. by the old atty's office was on fire/smoking so not sure if it blew on its own or if something/someone hit it so I called it in, but they were already on their way. Hope no one was hurt!

weebiekins weebiekins
Jul '16

Thank you all so much. Glad it is back on.

Jul '16

Hate to say it but the latest weather models have cut back significantly on the forecasted MUCH NEEDED rains. Latest radar at this hour backs this up and does not look promising to say the least. Only 0.21 in the bucket during the rains here yesterday down the road at the Pequest Fish Hatchery.

We still have a shot at another round of soaking rains late Saturday night into Sunday AM. We sure do need it!

Heads up! Some bad stuff heading straight up from the south. There a particularly nasty cell headed on course for Long Valley, Mount Olive and Stanhope.

Calico696 Calico696
Jul '16

Can't even get a rain drop on this side of town in Oxford. Had a nice 30mph wind gust suddenly kick up about an hour ago and thought we'd get a good soaking but nothing came of it. Now can hear thunder but still no rain. Watching the radar it's like the storms are going right around us.

Suspicious, cautious, huddled in a very concerned posture with her sister so good holding her paw....

Then rrrrrrruummbbllllle, BOOOOOMMMMMMM!! And Sugar is outta here, off behind the washing machine. Sure the world as we know it is ending. Fairly mild drops coming down, no big deal, and saving some time watering the garden, plants, and lawn. OK with me. Not so OK with my feline contingent.

We are getting rain on my end of town now Vic. Started about 10 minutes ago. Coming down at a decent clip.

The radar is lit up like a Christmas tree, so you should get something eventually.

Calico696 Calico696
Jul '16

A handful of places in NJ have had over 7" of rain since Friday. Meanwhile down here in SC i'm desperately hoping for something. We've had less than 2" since early June!

Bryan_NC Bryan_NC
Aug '16

Nice to hear from you , Bryan.

happiest girl
Aug '16

Hey Bryan! I was glad to see you picked up some moonshine on your TN trip! At least you can whet your whistle, even if you can wet your lawn. LOL

Hope some rain hits you soon.

Calico696 Calico696
Aug '16

Good to hear from you Bryan. Hopefully you'll get more rain soon!

Thanks guys. LOL Calico. Believe it or not moonshine is readily available in the liquor stores down here. Hope all is well up there. We finally got a storm last night! Still amazed at how dry it gets in the summer down here. Thought there would be more storms.

Bryan_NC Bryan_NC
Aug '16

Calico, you "whet" an appetite, you "wet" a whistle (-;

Bryan, believe it or not, moonshine is readily available in liquor stores up here, too. But if the "revenuers" are getting their cut, is it really "moonshine"?

ianimal ianimal
Aug '16

Is Bryan_NC in SC?

SC gets 40-80 inches, 40-50 at the shore and 70-80 in the Piedmont. Apparently in SC, water flows uphill (-:

NJ = 46

Have you tried the Southern Burger yet. Just love those things.

strangerdanger strangerdanger
Aug '16

Living in SC working in NC.

I have not seen Southern burger yet. But we have no shortage of burger places most of which are very good (a lot of local type chains). Pizza is above average and BBQ is very good. Being on the border we get a mix on NC and SC bbq which is nice. Pimento cheese is awesome too.

The mountains get quite a bit more moisture than the coast. That's why it looks backwards. But my area of the Piedmont gets around 40" (similar to Charlotte). I'm sure the piedmont closer to the mountains gets more. I'm in a dry zone where what comes out of the mtns dries out and what comes up the coast is too far east.

ian - you're right, they took all the fun out of it lol.

Bryan_NC Bryan_NC
Aug '16

Heavy wind and a lot of water coming through Oxford right now.

Calico696 Calico696
Aug '16

Two righteous bangs happened first. Sugar was wakened from her steamy slumber by the first, and started to burrow off to underground safety at the second. I managed to catch her the second time and reassure her. Despite the torrent she's now engulfed in infinite concern but holding her own valiantly. This will pass.

Meanwhile White Shoes loves the activity, and the plants love it even more.

Holy crap is all I have to say... The storm that just passed over us is probably the most sustained lightning and thunder I've ever been in. And to cap it all off a tiny little cell popped up just over us and while we didn't get hit, something very close to us got hit by lightning. The thunder lasted about 20 seconds Ina continuous roll and everything was shaking. I actually forgive the annoying dog for getting scared of that one, I thought it was the house falling apart.

This will be a fun one to go look at the aftermath of, cannot wait to see how many trees we lost.

Brendan Brendan
Aug '16

Sounds like it's Thundershirt time again. Last night definitely was. Like Brendan said, that was some crazy storm.

@Sugar - your daddy needs get you one of these. Maybe two. And wrap you up like a burrito. -->

Rebecka Rebecka
Aug '16

Rebecka, how to your beautiful shepherds deal with the thunder? None of mine ever cared but my mother's was terrified.

Dansker Dansker
Aug '16

Hmmm...

Rebecka Rebecka
Aug '16

I am a cat, Rebecka. I'm not rolled welcome mat stuffing. You can give that tortilla torture device to your canines, cause I'm not having it. Nor am I having any of that silly spray they make, or a collar of powder nonsense that says it calms you down. I'm not having any collar at all, period. I see through all these human tricks.

I'm telling you right now it's the End Time. Plagues. Pestilence. 4 Horsemen. Rain-a-geddon. Seen it right outside my own window.

Sugar Sugar
Aug '16

Wicked lightning storm just blew through Washington taking out a few transformers on its way.

Icantremembermyname
Aug '16

Take cover Sugar !

Icantremembermyname
Aug '16

Sugar will answer you - just as soon as she has the courage to come out from behind the couch. That could be a day or two at this point...

Sitting out on my back deck looking out at the western sky. Yet another wicked lightning storm incoming from PA. Almost constant lightning lighting up the night sky. Incredible!

The line that looks to be about 1/2 hour away on radar doesn't look like it's going to last long. But boy is it gonna rock and roll.

The cat is not amused.

Getting it now in Oxford. Very quick hit. Lasted not even 5 minutes! Western sky is already brightening.

smacking PV now

4catmom 4catmom
Aug '16

Lost power on Russling Road as soon as storm started.

Chickadee mobile Chickadee mobile
Aug '16

Our lights in Independence flickered for a bit but then stopped and the rain, thunder and lightening started. It is 6:45 and it appears as if the rain might be passing but we will see.what the rest of the evening brings..

Joyful Joyful
Aug '16

We lost power on Mt Rascal pretty quickly.

Smilingbecs Smilingbecs
Aug '16

Brown out and no Comcast cable/internet/phone on Ketcham. Calle JCPL outage line to report. Estimated time to restore was 10:30 pm.

fishmaker fishmaker
Aug '16

Power lines down at 70 Russling Rd per emergency volunteer wearing a yellow vest. Russling Rd was closed at Thomas Drive. I was able to take Johnson Rd into town.

Chickadee mobile Chickadee mobile
Aug '16

Hackettstown got 0.34 inches of rain in 20 minutes and wind gusted to 29 MPH as the bow echo came through. Just can't get rid of the humidity.

KMC77
Aug '16

For anyone still up...CBS 2 NYC is showing another line of thunderstorms reaching Allentown at 12:21 AM, so figure Oxford and East starting shortly thereafter, in just about 1 hour! Shelter all the little and big little furry ones! HIDE!!!

Phil D. Phil D.
Aug '16

Power went out at 6:30 p.m. and back on at 11:00 p.m. on Ridge Rd. Water is dark brown coming out of faucets. We've had a lot of power outages over the years; but never brown water.

MrsPipes MrsPipes
Aug '16

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.