Never had a bad meal or service at these places:

For My family it would be:
Stella G's
Villa Venice (Townsbury/Great Meadows)
Sub Shack

Never a bad meal and always great service....

joyful joyful
Apr '16

Hmmm .... good food AND good service .....
Not always so easy ....
But these immediately come to mind for us:

(all in Hackettstown)

Pandam Room
Little Tokyo
Fujiyama

happiest girl
Apr '16

Panther Pub
Mattar's
Piggy's Deli (eat-in or take-out)

Jules Jules
Apr '16

It would be Bella's and TOPO

Sport
Apr '16

Long Valley Pub & Brewery
Chester Diner
Frank's in Mansfield
Hot Bagels Abroad
McDonald's on Mountain Ave.
They're all great places!

1988LJ 1988LJ
Apr '16

Speaking strictly local places, not others in nearby PA or as far as Morristown, Ledgewood/Randolph.

Stella G's
Mattar's
Churrascaria Hackettstown Paladar
Sub Shack
Pandan Room
The Grove
Budd Lake Bagel II
Enzo's
Szechuan Royal
Emma's
Black Forest Inn
Humpty Junior
Washington Diner

The former and much missed Cara Mia!

In the present:
SALT in Byram
Vanilla Market
Stella Gs
Hot Bagels Abroad

Sorry to disagree but that McDonalds on Mt Ave is among the cruddiest I've ever been in...and I have been in their locations all all around the world. Service bad there too.

Hipster Hipster
Apr '16

WOW...I've been away from H'town way too long - less than 4 years. I don't recognize TOPO, Bella's, Churrascaria Hackettstown Paladar, Emma's and Humpty Junior. Happy to see some old favorites are still thriving.

slade v 2.0 slade v 2.0
Apr '16

Valenca in Elizabeth NJ. They are not related to the Valenca in Easton (Which I have never been to).

http://www.yelp.com/biz/valenca-restaurant-elizabeth

In no particular order:

Stella G's
Mattar's
Churrascaria Hackettstown Paladar
Marleys
Pandan Room
The Grove
James on Main
Enzo's Pasta Grill
Ashleys
Piggys
Little Tokyo
Fujiyama

I still have a few I would like to try in the area.

Christine Christine
Apr '16

I miss me some sub shack

skippy skippy
Apr '16

I had my first sandwich, and a side of potato salad from sub shack, today. It was one of the best sandwiches I've ever had!! It's no wonder why they are in business so long, despite all the restaurants that are around.

sparksjbc1964 sparksjbc1964
Apr '16

Mattaar's (best crab cakes)
Topo (Chow fun, and some bubble tea )
Black Forest Inn ( love the Friday Buffett )
Marleys (wing night)
Sub Shack ( a regular stop for lunch.)
Fujiyama is one place I would never go back too due to poor customer service.

Denis Denis
Apr '16

Ugh, have to disagree with Enzos. My husband and I ordered takeout, we ordered various appetizers and everything was bad. The calamari, the mac and cheese, the eggplant rollatini. Everything was just flavorless or awful. Especially the sauce for the eggplant rollatini.

My votes go for Topo, Pandan Room, and Sub Shack.

earlybird27 earlybird27
Apr '16

I seldom eat out , so Washington Diner is my go to.

Old Gent Old Gent
Apr '16

I could disagree with a number of the places too, but I don't think I need to rain on someone else's parade. Too often we just shoot things down instead of promoting some positives out there.

Funny to see somebody out here that knows Valenca in Elizabeth. Used to live out there and would go at least once a week, we definitely miss it. Another great place back out east is Jose Tejas in Woodbridge. Awesome food, atmosphere, and margaritas!

Mattars
Panther Valley Country Club (owned by Mattar or his brother). The food is excellent and the prices are very good.
Sub Shack
The Grove

Jazzykatt Jazzykatt
Apr '16

Pandan Room
China Garden
Sub Shack
Budd Lake Bagel II
Pronto Pizzeria
Franks, in Mansfield
Ruby Tuesday

I've been to Valenca, aka Steak on a Stone. Good joint.

MeisterNJ MeisterNJ
Apr '16

Sub Shack - Huge subs, homemade salads, pickled eggs.
Stella G's - Breakfast, fresh baking.
James on Main - Brunch, creative dishes.
Panther Pub - Hangar steak, potato skins, outdoor entertainment.

Great food and service at all these places.

DannyC DannyC
Apr '16

Mattars
Stella G
James on Main

4catmom 4catmom
Apr '16

Since just about everything in Hackettstown has been covered ... Jefferson Diner along Route 15 is marvelous.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Apr '16

Crossroads Diner
Washington Diner
Pandam Room
Diccolas

Mansfield mama Mansfield mama
Apr '16

What happened to Mama"s Didn't see any references,

Speaking of diners, went to Clinton Station Diner years ago and the salad bar was impressive, including stuffed grape leaves. Any recent reviews --- salad bar still good? Entrees .... has anyone tried the Spanokopita (greek spinach pie)?

happiest girl
Apr '16

Mama's just doesn't do it for me, food is passable, never had a good or bad meal. We haven't gone there in many years.

kb2755 kb2755
Apr '16

From the sounds of it the town of Hackettstown doesn't serve a bad meal.

CraftBeerBob CraftBeerBob
Apr '16

UF -
I only get take-out pizza at Mama's.
While I think the owners & staff are wonderful people, as a vegetarian I think the mark-up for their pasta dishes is out of line. Plus they don't even give you a salad with the pasta.
From what I observe the service appears to be very good.

happiest girl
Apr '16

I've been to Mama's and I enjoy it. I'm just a diner type of guy, always on the way to or heading home from this high school ball game or another.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Apr '16

I forgot Mamas! OOPS! I have my favorites there! Service is wonderful and I adore the owners. Their catering is top notch and have servers if needed.

Can we keep this thread positive? I am sure Joyful meant it to be. She never asked anyone what was the worse.

Christine Christine
Apr '16

Agreed Christine. Folks, sizzler in my opinion is good. Didn't mean for it to sound like I was speaking ill of it.

Hank Arthur
Apr '16

What/where is TOPO's? Thanks.

TeeCee TeeCee
Apr '16

TeeCee, right on main st. It's viatnamese restaurant. I find it to be an excellent dining option

Hank Arthur
Apr '16

We are like Andy and love good diner food...Also want to include in our favorites:
Budd Lake Diner and Washington Diner

joyful joyful
Apr '16

As long as we are going outside of Hackettstown (in which Pandan Room would get my vote), I'll vote for Committed Pig in Morristown. Best burgers I've ever had; I'm not a burger person. Well, I wasn't until I went there. They have a burger with fig jam that sounds weird but is to die for.

ChristIsRisen ChristIsRisen
Apr '16

NO ONE KNOWS ABOUT TONY'S.

Seriouly, this place located right past PNC and right before Family food mart is hands down the best place to pick up lunch in Hackettstown. Before I was sent to pick up lunch there for work one time, I had no idea the place was even open. It's not the prettiest looking building but you will not find nicer people. Tony, Diane and their two daughters make you feel like that are actually passionate about you enjoying your lunch. The prices are unbelievable for the quality you are getting.

You have to at least give it a try, juts dont forget to bring cash.

Jhuno Jhuno
Apr '16

Thanks, Jhuno...for the reminder about Tony's Luncheonette too....We love it there and the people that cook and run the place are super nice people. They have special take out and sit down meals every weekend too...advertised here on Hackettstown Life...

joyful joyful
Apr '16

I like friemdlys. Never about me all there and the service is excellent

Bea mcnallys, hands down. Great service, great drinks, great vibes, great food.

Lara
Apr '16

The BB Breakfast sandwich at Tony's is so good!!!! A must if you haven't eaten one yet.

Apr '16

What does BB stand for, Belly Buster?

ianimal ianimal
Apr '16

Love the BB at Tony's!! Service is always excellent, too

My other 3 are The Market Taverne in Morristown and Washington Diner and Redwoods

weebiekins weebiekins
Apr '16

@happiest girl: still the same salad bar at Clinton Station Diner. btw, if you choose from a long list of daily specials the salad bar is included which is an amazing value.

OnTheEdge OnTheEdge
Apr '16

ianimal, yes it does stand for Belly Buster.

Apr '16

I'm glad you enjoyed Bea's but with a yr of them opening I feel they went from great to average. The more then few times I've tried them to be sure I've noticed a change in management almost every time. That has to say something. There drafts though great selection.

Think about it
Apr '16

Does anyone ever have a home cooked meal anymore??

Of course, they do, Stu. Doesn't anyone stop bitching about what others do in their own lives anymore?

ChristIsRisen ChristIsRisen
Apr '16

@OnTheEdge-
thanks for the info about Clinton Station Diner!

happiest girl
Apr '16

Home cooked meals were popular when Leave It To Beaver was popular. LOL

Back when mom stayed home and didn't have to work.

Home cooked meals became passé when two incomes to survive became the norm.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Apr '16

Yes, most people cook at home to feed their families but going out and not having to worry about doing the work and cleaning up is a well-deserved treat.

Jazzykatt Jazzykatt
Apr '16

Stu --
Don't you ever go out to eat??
lol

happiest girl
Apr '16

most of my meals are home cooked--

4catmom 4catmom
Apr '16

Most of our meals are home cooked as well, 4 catmom, but just thought this might be a good thread for HLers to list their favorites when they did get to go out to eat.. I already have a list of places I would like to try from posters good reviews...

joyful joyful
Apr '16

joyful -- I agree.
This thread also reminded me of a restaurant I heard good things about but never got to go to yet -- Istanbul Turkish in Flanders.
That's next on my list.

happiest girl
Apr '16

Clinton station used to have a giant hamburger on the menu

skippy skippy
Apr '16

it was a great idea, joyful - gave me a few ideas too

4catmom 4catmom
Apr '16

Most Families......cannot afford to dine out very often if at all !!! Money is used for Needs not Wants. Plus many Families use the Crockpot to cook their Meals......less hassle for a good Dinner.

As for myself.....I have not been to Bea McNallys in over 3 years for a Meal. I ordered a Bowl of Clam Chowder and I received a CUP of Chicken Noodle Soup. I also ordered Sea Scallops......I received Bay Scallops drenched in Melted Butter. It was like a Soup there was so much Butter. I did not eat the Meal and I brought both issues to management and they did not charge me for the Soup or Scallops. They were very apologetic. I hope they are doing better now.....please let me know!!

LittleRascal LittleRascal
Apr '16

I cook 99% of the time. We go out once a week whether its breakfast, lunch, or dinner. I have family who like to treat us when they visit so that is a plus. Having only to feed 2 of us is much cheaper when there was 9 of us. DD will be home soon so that will change. After 32 years of cooking I am getting sick of it but now DH has started to try to make different recipes which is great!

Christine Christine
Apr '16

I would disagree with the OP, my family had the worst experience at Villa Venice and we will never return. The food was fine but the service was horrible. 45+mins to get 1 slice of pizza for my 4 year old and a plate of pasta for my wife and a sandwich for me. They first brought out the pasta and sandwich and said its going to be a few more minutes on the slice (try telling a hungrey 4 yo that) We complained and they said because it was busy (45 Mins mind you).......and did not offer anything to reslove the problem. NEVER AGAIN!

2cents
Apr '16

Panther Pub
Stella G
Vanilla Market

Jaelyn
Apr '16

Vanilla Market is hit or miss for me lately. Sometimes the chicken is rubbery or they don't put the croutons in my chicken ceasar wrap. It's 5 ingredients...chicken, romaine, dressing, parmesan & croutons...not hard to mess up.

HLamusesme HLamusesme
May '16

"never had a bad meal" topic doesn't seem to be intended for your bad reviews, put that on Yelp!
I'll second TOPO and Pandan!!

kepa
May '16

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.