Buddy's Small Lots Mansfield - Closing

Drove past today after going to Shoprite. Definite closing signs in the window. Sad to see it go and another empty space in that mall.

1988LJ 1988LJ
Apr '16

I think that place is ALWAYS closing..part of their sales strategy

Brad2
Apr '16

I didn't see any closing signs. what I saw was "Entire Store On Sale". They recently closed a couple of their locations, but not this one.

A manager and store employee at ShopRite were discussing how empty the plaza would be once Buddy's closes while I was shopping earlier this week.

They do have a sign in the window saying store closing this location only

panthers
Apr '16

They should take the space and build a Wegmans -

sunny sunny
Apr '16

At about 1 pm there was an employee holding a sign out near Rt 57 that said "Store Closing Soon."

JerryG JerryG
Apr '16

Maybe the movie theater can take the space and upgrade that dump.

CraftBeerBob CraftBeerBob
Apr '16

We talked with, what we think is a reliable source, and they said they were closing at the end of their lease which is December 2016.

This makes this string of stores look pretty bad.

Maybe this landlord should not be so greedy about rent.

Bernie Bernie
Apr '16

Sorry to burst anyones bubble about a Wegmans in Hackettstown.They have bigger plans. There will be a Wegmans in Hanover NJ soon.They have plans to build in the southern states. http://www.bizjournals.com/triangle/blog/real-estate/2016/01/wegmans-confirms-plans-to-expand-into-north.html

Urge
Apr '16

The per capita (sp?) income level in this area - Warren/Western Morris DOES not support Wegman's, Trader Joe's and/or Whole Foods. Until these corporations change their basic "move-in" criteria we won't see those stores in this general area.

SS2cats SS2cats
Apr '16

Yes, SS. That and I know Whole Foods also opens in areas where there is a very large supply of part time college students.

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Apr '16

"The per capita (sp?) income level in this area - Warren/Western Morris DOES not support Wegman's, Trader Joe's and/or Whole Foods. Until these corporations change their basic "move-in" criteria we won't see those stores in this general area."

I get that, BUT... with Long Valley and Chester right over the mountain (15min), and Mendham not much farther...? I know there is a small Whole Foods in Morristown, but I think a Trader Joe's could be easily supported here... (after all the HL people complain about how "expensive" they are LOL)

We go to the Wegmans in Bethlehem, it's a nice drive. We go to the Trader Joes in ...East Hanover? Madison? But if we had one closer we would go ALOT more often.

JeffersonRepub JeffersonRepub
Apr '16

"I get that, BUT... with Long Valley and Chester right over the mountain (15min), and Mendham not much farther.."
Not a lot of people like to drive over the mountain to Hackettstown, most prefer to drive to Basking Ridge, Bridgewater, Morristown. The same time (if not quicker), larger choice of stores, eateries and entertainment. My daughter complains how long lines are in Trader Joe's in the city, people buy a few items in a time (no place to store). People in our area buy groceries by cart-full once a week and many have 2 refrigerators and/or freezers. Different life style, different priorities.
Plus why Wegman's, Trader Joe's and/or Whole Foods would open next door to ShopRite?

January 2017 owner is closing and we lose our jobs...stock is transfered to Totowa and ledgewood stores.. ..

Hard worker Hard worker
Apr '16

If it closes I would like to see a KMart go in it's place. I once got towels at a KMart.

Hank Arthur
Apr '16

I shop at Wegman's regularly, many items are cheaper or the same as Shop Rite. Their prepared foods may seem pricey to some but not much pricier than Shop Rites prepared food and the quality cannot be compared. Their family packs of meat are also cheaper than Shop Rite and I find them to be comparable or better than Shop Rite. I'm not a one store shopper and find you can pick and choose where you get the best prices but Wegman's price wise is no Whole Foods or Kings.

Bessie Bessie
Apr '16

I'm not quite sure if Buddy's is large enough for a Wegman's or Kmart. I'd be happy to have both of those but Wegman's is the size of Wal-Mart or Target and Kmart the same- Buddy's is the size of Hometown Hardware or smaller..

1988LJ 1988LJ
Apr '16

Definitely not big enough for Wegmans, at least not like any I've been to.

Bessie Bessie
Apr '16

Tear off the roof and build up a multi-floor MEGA-CVS!

emaxxman emaxxman
Apr '16

With all the empty stores in that strip mall, how about knocking walls through and putting in a Golden Corral or Old Country Buffet?

Parental Unit Parental Unit
Apr '16

Re: Buddy's Small Lots Mansfield - Closing

I have been to the Wegmans on Rt 33 in Nazareth PA.Not impressed.A busy store with high prices. Sorry not a part of the Wegmans cult of affection. A small piece of cake at the "fresh" bakery was priced $8.00 dollars.Not impressed with any prices or selection in the store.This store must be for foodies who also like Whole Foods "Whole Paycheck" and "Trader Joes" crap.

Urge
Apr '16

Amen and hallelujah!! The resident Shoprite employee Urge/Ufr/oldman/whatever isn't impressed with Wegman's. Jealous their store is busier, has better products, and gets more money for it??

Relax "From", Lena is right, another grocery store, even a better one, wouldn't open up right next door to your previous Shoprite. Even though I know it scares the crap out of you to have a better store around, Wegman's isn't looking in this particular area anyway like you said.

I think Golden Corral or Old Country are awful. They don't spend individual time on each item, it's all like institutional food. And even if the food were better, people drip sauce across this, and drop an accidental item on something else. I really wouldn't see that as a positive, although I don't think there's all that much chance here. They have bigger targets to the east of here.

So can I ask why would you want a Golden Corral, Old Country or a Kmart...they are all destined for closing in 3-5 years at best. I would like to see something that is going to have a decent lifespan or have think it would be great if the movie theatre would expand and become a decent place to watch a movie. I know we all have our opinion but have you eaten at a golden corral lately....

CraftBeerBob CraftBeerBob
Apr '16

Wish we would get some type of craft store. Would love to see a Hobby Lobby or JoAnns / Michaels / AC Moore. Nothing of that type in town at all. I think it would do well, WalMart doesn't even carry much of that type of product anymore.

HHS Fan HHS Fan
Apr '16

CraftBeerBob - I believe KMart was definitely a sarcastic comment.

HHS Fan - Is Budd Lake too far to go? I don't think we get that kind of store because there is one already 15 mins away.

Actually, an A.C. Moore would be cool. The nice one they had in Rockaway closed leaving only Michaels and a much smaller A.C. Moore in Newton. It would be nice to have a larger one here since I do like it better than Michaels. Just my own opinion.

Phil D. Phil D.
Apr '16

Makes sense that it's closing. I've lived here for 6 years and have driven by it often and have never stopped in. Not even really sure what they sell.

Blazin
Apr '16

I've been there plenty of times blazin, and they're generally pretty busy. They're similar to Odd Lots, Big Lots, or even Dollar General. They're mostly close out and left over type things. A whole row of 'As Seen On TV', etc.

I think the real issue is having stores too close to each other.

It's a shame that they are closing. The last time I was in they told me they are done with their closings and that this one was staying open. Only a few months ago, they had seven stores, and now apparently they will be down to two (Wayne/Totowa and Ledgewood)

Apologies for the KMart statement sounding sarcastic, did not intend for it to come out that way. The store is probably too small for it, but the towels I got at KMart was the perfect thread count.

Hank Arthur
Apr '16

Kmart is cool. GC, why would you think that's sarcastic? The one at H-town mall was bad but I visited one in Orlando last summer and it was first class.

1988LJ 1988LJ
Apr '16

I actually went to the KMart in Parsippany to buy towels that I was happy with, although Canon Towels don't seem to be made in the USA anymore either. They had been one of the last holdouts. Wouldn't mind seeing one in town again!

Phil D. Phil D.
Apr '16

those must have been some towels. :)

Kmart is in the process of closing stores not opening new ones. they are struggling. Not to mention even if they were looking to open a new store they certainly wouldn't open one so close to a Walmart. That is why I assume GC was thinking it was a sarcastic statement.

Darwin Darwin
Apr '16

Darwin, you're probably right about the fact that Walmart (as well as Shoprite, Weis, Home Depot and Marshalls) are so close. However, I think Sears/Kmart is on the uptick again, I noticed Friday that the Sears at the Rockaway mall is being renovated.

1988LJ 1988LJ
Apr '16

Hum you might want to think again:

http://www.businessinsider.com/list-of-sears-and-kmart-stores-closing-2016-2

https://consumerist.com/2016/03/02/sears-holdings-plans-at-least-3-more-kmart-store-closures-in-may/

Darwin Darwin
Apr '16

Buddy's has only been there less then 3 years. Some days are busier then others. They are saying closing is Jan 2017 but most workers don't believe that. Most looking for other jobs.

WHOknows
Apr '16

CraftBeerBob, I have never eaten at a Golden Corral and it's been years since I've been to an Old Country Buffet, but the last time I was there I was very satisfied with the quality and variety of their food, as well as being extremely affordable. My husband and sons are BIG eaters and buffets are good places for us. It makes me sad to learn that they no longer serve quality food.

Apr '16

For my Beloved adversary GC.Wegmans posts a list of stores under development on their website.Here is a link with the company timetable. The company is also seeking locations in New York City.Wegmans is currently building stores in the southern states including North Carolina and Virginia.They are scouting out locations in Washington D.C. http://www.wegmans.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CampaignLanding?storeId=10052&catalogId=10002&langId=-1&partNumber=CAMPAIGN_55185

With a population like this not getting one, fat chance Hackettstown has of ever getting one

. http://patch.com/new-jersey/tomsriver/will-ocean-county-ever-get-wegmans-or-whole-foods-maybe

Old Gent Old Gent
Apr '16

Buddy's will be closed on Tues, Wednes and Thursday from now on with shorter hours on Fri, Sat, Sun and Mon. Next step will be closed permanent.

WHOknows
Apr '16

Update. Store will be closing in about a month. Everything will be 40% off soon. Good luck to their employees looking for a job. They got shafted big time!

WHOknows
May '16

from what the cashier said yesterday, rent is driving them out.

I have no knoweledge of any of it, but it seems every business that closes sites rent as the reason lately. While i am
Sure in cases it is fact but on the flip side is managment gonna tell the people we are closing do to the fact we do not manage well thus do not make needed decisions to be profitable. Sometimes rent is a nice scapegoat.

Lease up end of year but they closing for good end of this month. Got it from the top.

WHOknows
May '16

Where is Wegmanns going to be near in East Hanover?

patrici patrici
May '16

patrici - LMGTFY

http://www.wegmans.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CampaignLanding?storeId=10052&catalogId=10002&langId=-1&partNumber=CAMPAIGN_55185

Calico696 Calico696
May '16

supposedly it is at the corner of Ridgedale and Sylvan in Parsippany right off Route 10 and near 287.

Joe Friday Joe Friday
May '16

Let me know when stuff goes to 40% off. I like Buddy's and will miss it.

They are looking to relocate in the area after they close.

Botheredbyuu2 Botheredbyuu2
Sep '16

Buddy's is staying in Mansfield and will be open seven days again. I'm on their mailing list and got an email.

Yes until January when the lease is up. Then hopefully relocating somewhere in the area. Lease is up in January and landlord raised the rent so they are moving out. Looking in the Hackettstown area.

Sep '16

Rummer is they may take the old Marshall 's location.

Charlene Charlene
Sep '16

The old Marshall location would be good for Hackettstown!

They are also looking at the old Trading Post building on Main Street.

Sep '16

Too bad they are closing. Where is the next Buddy's small lots?

AYOTTE AYOTTE
Feb '17

There is one in the Ledgewood area. It's located on the eastbound side just before the area where the circle was (coming from Hackettstown). I'm not sure if that is Rt. 10 or 46 there.

Feb '17

Mansfield closed on 1/22.
Only other ones are Ledgewood and Totowa, which will be torn down in the months to come and hopefully rebuilt somewhere else. Mansfield was suppose to relocate, but doesn't look promising.

Feb '17

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.