Venting Thread 12th Edition

The other thread is taking too long to load so.............

My vent for the week!!

I lost my Mom on January 27th sadly. So upset over how my family members acted. How can you be so disrespectful?

So disappointed!!

http://www.cochranfuneral.com/obit/obituaries.php?id=2610

Christine Christine
Mar '16

Sorry to hear that. I don't remember seeing her here so that's the first I've seen a picture. After reading that, I believe she waited on me and my mom at Tannersville Inn some years back.

Hi, I looked through the post, I must be missing something , if you would like to be more specific, I am here for you .

Here4u Here4u
Mar '16

Christine so sorry for your loss.

Christine, my condolences. Prayers to you and your family.

Chickadee mobile Chickadee mobile
Mar '16

Christine, my sincerest sympathy. Be strong. You will survive the adversity. Family can be a bit trying at times. Death seems to bring out the worst in some people. Project love and dignity. You don't have to go to their level.

So sorry, Christine...

Lori...since '73 Lori...since '73
Mar '16

Thanks guys!

GC yes she loved that job! She always introduced herself as the hostess with the mostest!

Christine Christine
Mar '16

Christine

My condolences on your loss. Your Mom seemed to be one of those larger than life personalities, as I can see by the slogans she made up to go with her various jobs:-)

My Dad's Aunt's family is from Portage (which is probably why I recognized her maiden name) and most of his was in Cambria County and in the Chicago area as well. Salt of the earth folks, so to speak, but there are some... . I can definitely empathize with what you mentioned.

Phil D. Phil D.
Mar '16

I am not seeing the disrespect. The posts seemed positive, like they loved her.
Hugs for you.

Plusgirl Plusgirl
Mar '16

Christine I'm so sorry for your loss. May the fond memories and the sympathy of those around you give you comfort in the days ahead.

I don't think the link about her mom is related to the less than stellar behavior of her family members.

The link is her obituary.

The family members who were disrespectful were some of her own daughters and grandchildren. So many guests and other family members on both sides of the family noticed their behavior. I won't go into it any farther then that. I know my Mom would be disappointed.

Christine Christine
Mar '16

Very sorry for you loss Christine.

Calico696 Calico696
Mar '16

Sorry for your loss Christine. May mom rest in peace.

botheredbyuu2 botheredbyuu2
Mar '16

May the fond memories give you peace of mind. We each have to live with our decisions. May God give you the strength, to see you through these trying times.

Old Gent Old Gent
Mar '16

So sorry for you loss Christine and family.

JrzyGirl88 JrzyGirl88
Mar '16

Sorry for your loss

skippy skippy
Mar '16

Showing up to the funeral in sweat pants???

So sorry, Christine

Mariann Mariann
Mar '16

So sorry for your loss Christine. Sounds like an interesting life story.

Have an aunt that is always too distraught to attend. Hey, its on her, she has to live with it. We just take it as it is and move forward.

Strangerdanger Strangerdanger
Mar '16

Christine I am so sorry for your loss. I know exactly what you are going through, as I lost my dad years ago. I have a family who is disrespectful as well. When my dad passed, his "so called gf", sister in law, and son were sitting in the funeral home laughing and carrying on. The other sisters and niece decided it would be great to take pictures of my dad. Now all these years later, they have all turned against me because of money. I can't understand how people can be so disrespectful and money hungry.

justcurious justcurious
Mar '16

I'm sorry for your loss Christine. Unfortunately times like these bring out the best and worst in family and friends. I've seen both personally, I feel for you.

Tigger Tigger
Mar '16

Unfortunately they have been disrespectful for years Tigger, I was hoping the death of my mother would change that but it made it worse.

Thank you everyone for the kind words. I appreciate it.

Christine Christine
Mar '16

My vent is when you use the crosswalk, a motorist is good enough to stop for you to let you cross, and all of a sudden someone passes on the right and almost runs you over. You know who you were when you did it yesterday

Sally Jo
Mar '16

Unfortunately, all too commonly, family loss, especially when it is a central person to that family, bring out the worst in people, and happenings like this tear families apart. Hopefully you can work through this.

Sorry for your loss.

Darrin Darrin
Mar '16

Money does terrible things to people, especially when they have an unrealistic expectation of how much money the deceased had. I'm lucky in that my family is pretty tight and there wasn't any bickering over money when my Gram died... but my in-laws? Whoof. It's also funny that the people who couldn't be bothered in the least when it came down to caring for the person during the last years of life were the loudest about how they were getting "screwed" out of the inheritance they thought they would be getting. It was disturbing to know that people would treat family like this over a few dollars. This was 10 years ago and the estrangement is stronger than ever. It doesn't sound like this is the issue you're having, Christine... be thankful for that.

ianimal ianimal
Mar '16

A vent with a happy ending....

I dropped my Motorola Droid Turbo phone this afternoon resulting in a destroyed "break resistant" Gorilla glass screen. Foolishly I did not carry insurance. My options were either try to massage Verizon into some sort of help or pay a third party nearly $300 to replace the screen. Naturally during my long online chat with Tamisha at Verizon, the web page became unresponsive dumping all that good will I was building. LOL. The truth was I was not getting anywhere other than a very slight discount off of full retail replacement cost. That was not going happen.
As a lark, I Googled the replacement procedure in the event I end up repairing the phone myself. During that search I discovered that with the Motorola Droid Turbo Verizon offers a free one time screen replacement. Who knew? Certainly not Tamisha as she made no mention of it even after I asked if Corning, who makes Gorilla glass, had any warranty. The phone is only 10 months old after all. I immediately called Verizon to end up with Juan happy to send me a replacement phone overnight, free of charge.
And yes I now carry the insurance.

Moral: Juan in the hand is worth Tamisha in the bush...

ianimal ianimal
Mar '16

Funny Ian!

As to what you said a couple of posts above that, I've had the same thing happen in my family when my Grandparents died (at various different times and dates, of course). You're right, it's sad to see how money, property and possession-grubbing some people get!

Phil D. Phil D.
Mar '16

It's a good thing Greg isn't a politician, ianimal. Either one of those things would end his career.

LMAO Ian.

You're right GC, I can hear the news teaser now: Juan provides Greg a happy ending....Story at eleven. Yikes.

Mansfield residents, if your kid drives a green jeep to WHRHS and they were running late this morning, please take the car away before they kill themselves or someone. And the young fool driving the blue car, maybe a juke or similar, just as unprepared for adulthood.

The people that attend funerals and wakes that have had little interest in the deceased when they were alive are hypocrites.

It's about how you've treated that person when they were living..that is what matters.

Too late when they're gone.

Going through something similar Christine. I certainly empathize with you.

positive positive
Mar '16

I was in the area of HHS the other day at the time they let the "animals" out and the foolish ones that drive to school, SHOULDN'T !!! 3 cars came flying out of the parking lot, making the right turn onto (whatever the street is called) doing about 50 MPH! Where is the security to make sure these idiots don't kill someone (or themselves). TAKE THE KEYS AWAY UNTIL THEY "GROW UP". My grown child was one of those idiots years back at WHRHS and guess what. A concerned parent called me to tell me how he was driving and lets just he didn't drive to school for the next 2 weeks. Have to be a parent first, then a friend.

Mar '16

The inheritance thing is getting out of control. People were always greedy for sure, but people today are "banking" on this cash more than ever...

botheredbyuu2,

A comical, but potentially dangerous and expensive experience with inexperienced drivers: Sitting at the Bilby Road - Route 517 intersection waiting to make a right turn, two cars collided head on, both radiators busted and emitting steam. The two young drivers panicked and jumped out of their cars, obviously fearing fires. But one forgot to put on the emergency brake, and his car started to roll directly towards mine. Fortunately, I was able to bolt out of there, making the right turn without any traffic, before his car rolled into a ditch behind me. These young drivers need more education on how cars work and what to do in an emergency.

DannyC DannyC
Mar '16

So Dan, As an experienced adult driver did you stop to see if they were ok? Were you not concerned about them needing any assistance in that type of emergency until the police arrived? I'm sure you did. After all, that is how adults act witnessing and almost being involved in a motor vehicle accident, no matter who's involved.

auntiel auntiel
Mar '16

auntiel,

Of course, I stayed after getting out of the way and parking on the 517 sideline until the police arrived. No one was hurt, and I tried to calm down the hysterically crying kid whose car went into the ditch, but made no attempt to push it out, way too heavy and sunk in the mud. Submitted a report to the police. This cost me my job, since I was on a delivery of hot food, and the whole affair took almost an hour.

DannyC DannyC
Mar '16

So right, DannyC and you sound like a good man.

Mar '16

Maybe they just need to pay more attention to driving...

DannyC - I don't think you should have lost your job over that. You were involved in an accident and had to stay at scene. Your former employer sounds like a jerk. JMO

Mar '16

For sure, very unprofessional. Possibly even illegal if all the facts were listed as correct...

He claimed that since I avoided getting hit and both boys were out of their cars, I should have left, "done my job" and not cost him the customer's bill. I was actually glad to start working elsewhere, where the boss is not so self-centered. Back to the original gripe: What can be done to give some driving street smarts to young drivers?

DannyC DannyC
Mar '16

What in the world is going on at Hackettstown Chinese? Truly didn't think the service could actually get worse, but dang I was wroooonnggg!! How many times can you forgive bad service for decent food? I think we have finally hit our limit. Bummer.

weebiekins weebiekins
Mar '16

Weebiekins...is that the one on Main Street? If it is, I have to agree. It's the craziest place I've ever ordered from, the yelling girl, the time you have to wait, 1/2 hour to pick up easily turns to sitting there for another 40 minutes. I love their won ton soup but it always becomes a ordeal ordering from them. I wish they could fix the problems.

Bessie Bessie
Mar '16

It is, Bessie. It is really a shame because they have a couple of dishes we enjoy and I think their won ton soup is the best in the area. Unfortunately tonight was the breaking point. Just so, so rude.

weebiekins weebiekins
Mar '16

Funny weebiekins, we ordered tonight at 9:00, they told us 15 minutes and it was actually ready, we were shocked, lol. They did forget our rice but Clyde went back for it, not that big a deal in comparison to other times. Clyde said it was very quiet in there, no yelling. Maybe we lucked out because it was late.

Bessie Bessie
Mar '16

That place went down hill YEARS ago. They use racial slurs and their food is disgusting.

Mar '16

Can I get a good Chinese restaurant please...

Ditto botheredbyuu2.....

outsider outsider
Mar '16

Are the so called racial slurs in Chinese or English ? I have been in many Chinese restaurants ,and I don't have a clue what is being said.

SM PREDATOR
Mar '16

To quote Paul Rodriguez - "Learn".

went to a Chinese take out place once, they all started yelling at each in their native language, i listened for a moment and then said to them; "Hey! You're in America now! Speak Spanish!!"

:) :)

(it's a joke, it's just a joke)

BrotherDog BrotherDog
Mar '16

Don't you have to press 8 for Spanish?

Mar '16

Good one, BrotherDog!

DannyC DannyC
Mar '16

small air craft buzzing mountain lake to day whats up with this who do you call to have them stop

Caged Animal Caged Animal
Mar '16

I noticed that too, Caged. It flew very low over my house around 7am this morning.

Re: Venting Thread 12th Edition

My vent is local businesses that have massive amounts of trash in their parking lots sometimes near a river. And haven't cleaned up yet. C'mon the winter is over. Get to work . Picture is taken on rte 57.

A good day
Mar '16

http://dailym.ai/22Rby8n

$50 fine and up to 15 days in jail for distracted walking - wow

skippy skippy
Mar '16

When it comes to distracted posting, I am dead meat ;-)

Mar '16

I feel very insulted right now. Grrr.....

My brother, his wife and daughter invited themselves over for Easter dinner. Well I haven't seen them in a few years since they live in Virginia so I really out did myself to make everything perfect.

They came over at 2:00, ate dinner and left right after they ate around 3:30 (the food was still on the table).

I had to wrap up my homemade desserts, wine and beer for them to take with them!

I feel like an idiot....

positive positive
Mar '16

Wow. Sorry about that. They don't sound as if they are appreciative of your kindness.

Thanks Greg. (:

positive positive
Mar '16

positive -

Holidays, distance and time often make for high expectations and disappointments. Maybe your brother had some other problem which caused him to leave early but he could not bring himself to tell you about. Perhaps you might benefit from contacting him, asking him just that and expressing your feelings honestly but kindly. It could be worse. Look at what Christine went through when her mom died (see start of this thread).

DannyC DannyC
Mar '16

Hang in there Positive, it could definitely be worse...

Danny, during dinner my sister in-law told me they were planning on going for a swim at the motel pool that closes at 6:00 (obviously pre-planned). They had all day yesterday and all morning today to go for their swim.

My mom is very sick, suffering from the same condition that Christine's mom had. Unfortunately, due to both of my brother's lack of respect I'd probably wouldn't be too far off from Christine's situation.

positive positive
Mar '16

iJay you're right it could've been worse, they could've stayed longer. Lol

positive positive
Mar '16

positive - is this the same brother who belittles you to make himself feel better? PM me if you want to talk but I think you really need to set boundaries - <3 you buddy. hang in

skippy skippy
Mar '16

Skippy this is another brother who I thought was better than this. That's why I'm so taken back and disappointed.

Thanks for being a good friend, I really appreciate it. :)))

positive positive
Mar '16

hey positive: sending positive energy your way, you're doing it right, keep up the good work! personally i would have kept the desserts hidden, (don;t even serve them up, that'd be more for us later) and never give away beer! (oh my goodness, the humanity!!). I would have thanked them for coming and sent them on their way by saying "See you at your house next holiday, we'll bring Ma with us and here is what she will need when we get there." :) :) smile all the time and don't give in to boorishness. you know, there is that one lonely verse in the Gospel of Matthew that comes to mind: "Be wise like the serpent". It's a good way to go. sending more positive energy your way. Incoming . . . . . Brace yourself . . . . . . .

skippy is right, set some boundaries, "That, I will not allow." (quote from Morgan of TWD)

BrotherDog BrotherDog
Mar '16

Positive I am so sorry for what you are going thru right now with your Mom. Its so hard to see your parents health decline right in front of you. Bergey and I have lost both our mothers within 6 weeks of each other. Although Bergeys Mom suffered from Alzheimer's Stage 4 for several years it was still a hard loss. We took care of her for 20 years.

Families are very complex. I love all my sisters because they are my sisters but we definitely are a dysfunctional family. This Easter was very difficult without my Mom. We were definitely missing a key member at our table. It was difficult because I also have the factor of not having my grandchildren around either. I like big crowds for Holidays and kids around so we had none of that this Easter which was a first. I have learned a long tome ago I distance myself away from my siblings. If they want to see me they can I never turn them away BUT I won't let them get to me or bully me anymore.

If you need anything at all, recommendations or a ear just PM me. I have loads of contacts.

Christine Christine
Mar '16

Thank you BDog and Christine..I really appreciate it.

positive positive
Mar '16

The ultimate in hypocrisy is accusing others but not realizing they know you've made a career of threats as a part of your job.

GC - Sounds like the "ultimate in hypocrisy" of managers in the retail food business. Every worker in this job sewer knows they "made a career of threats as a part of the job." It's what they do.

DannyC DannyC
Mar '16

How do you feel about the large wheel trucks that cut the corner, leave the road to drive on the ground in order to avoid the stop sign.

Roywhite Roywhite
Apr '16

Ads - Watch an ad for a drug, then watch an ad for lawyers who claim they can get you compensation for taking that drug.

DannyC DannyC
Apr '16

Minuscule, self centered complaint I know- but the weather is nice and I have no place to search, so-

People that I ask if I can search the curb strip between the sidewalk and the street, and they think I am either going to dig huge holes or am out to rip them off of some secret massive treasure. :(

I've metal detected at 7 places so far from people here on HackettstownLife alone...and to my knowledge have not received a complaint. Why does the hobby have such a negative viewpoint / reputation?

Yea- I'm bored..which frustrates me- waiting through winter for the weather to warm..and now it is 80 out and I am home. I did receive a few offers off here- a few I wrote back and never heard from again..and someone in Panther Valley..but I live in Washington and that is a pretty good drive to do after work at 5-5:30pm.

First world problems. I know. Hope everyone is having a great day, the sun is shining and weather is fantastic!!!

Josh, that curb strip is typically within the public right-of-way. The person you are asking doesn't have any authority to tell you that you can or can't metal detect there, since they have no ownership rights to that land. But, I suppose it's the polite thing to do (-;

ianimal ianimal
Apr '16

I always ask everywhere I go- unless it is a public park, etc- and even then I look up town regs to see if it is against the rules (and most places it IS illegal)...

And in Hackettstown, the official answer from the PD is that there is nothing on the regs restricting metal detecting..but the curb strips are property of the homeowner with right of way rights to the town if & when they need access.

Mind if I scan your place? ;)

Agreed josh - have you found any cool stuff! Please tell me you don't shout NECTAR! Like they guy on tv lol

skippy skippy
Apr '16

I've found a ton of cool stuff- that most people would consider junk. ;)

Old buttons, a horseshoe, an old matchbox car type tank, ( I was in the Army) several cool old coins...

About 5 feet from my own front walkway...when I first started detecting, I found a 1963 half dollar-- I came inside and yelled some silly noise next to my wife who was watching TV..and I rolled on the ground.. she had no idea at first what I was doing- but when I took her outside to show her what I found- she got the joke as we had watched an episode or 2 of that show as well.

I don't have a very big back yard, am in Kenwood Village, but you are welcome to to look there if you want. Glad to see someone finding some joy.

Dansker Dansker
Apr '16

Could a contractor please enlighten me on why so many dont show up for jobs or estimates? I just dont get it.

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Apr '16

3wb - Two reasons. One, they have too much work at the moment so they don't care. Two, your job might be too small to be worth their time. It's very frustrating for sure. I'm glad my husband is so handy that I rarely need to use contractors.

Calico696 Calico696
Apr '16

I totally get that. But these are guys that say, yep I'll be there. And never call to say hey something came up and I cant make it today.
If they are too busy or the job is too small please freaking tell me!!!!

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Apr '16

Me too Calico. My good husband does "almost" everything. It's rare when we have to consider hiring a contractor. I am so thankful!

MrsPipes MrsPipes
Apr '16

Calico and Pipes, are either one available for a small job? :)

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Apr '16

3wb - I'd gladly offer my better half, but right now he's remodeling two rooms in our own house and working two jobs. He barely has time to take a crap these days. LOL

Calico696 Calico696
Apr '16

Hey Cal...perhaps he should remodel the Bathroom!

Hipster Hipster
Apr '16

To me the fact is that when they don't call or update, they are not a good businessman. If they have great skill I might overlook, but if there is not compensation for bad business habits, I move on. There's always a good businessman somewhere in the field.

strangerdanger strangerdanger
Apr '16

LOL Hipster!

Calico696 Calico696
Apr '16

Working hard not to call BS on someone (not HL folks, no worries) but biting my tongue and trying to rise above --- but secretly I'm seething ----- 'breath in, breath out, let it go'

trekster3- trekster3-
May '16

There is smelly gross bright orange garbage sludge all over our cul-de-sac. I'm guessing it came from the garbage truck, perhaps while it's trying to maneuver around obnoxiously parked cars. Who parks their car perpendicular to the curb at the bottom of a cul-de-sac and 5 feet from the curb? And hasnt moved in 4 days.

Tracy (mobile) Tracy (mobile)
May '16

Some of the people who visit James Court do. Makes me really mad. Fire truck would not be able to get through. Had to bang on the door till someone finally answered, and then they looked at me as if I was crazy before they moved the car. Firemen all gave them cold stares too, but didnb't seem to faze them at all.

Dansker Dansker
May '16

Ugh!! This is so annoying My neighbors do it all of the time...they will park a car on both sides which leaves about an inch to spare for me to fit through!! I have asked them over and over again to please park on one side or the other if you insist on parking there and not in your actual driveway. There is no way a fire truck, oil delivery, UPS, or a work van would fit through to get to me. I drive a Honda and I barely make it. It's So frustrating and inconsiderate of them. The best part is that when I ask them not to do it, the response is "oh if it's in the way knock on the door and ask for keys to move it" Are you kidding me? So I'm supposed to tell that to the plumber that's working at my house? People are crazy...

If you take something from my garbage pile on a garbage pickup morning, please don't bring it back and leave it on my driveway AFTER garbage was picked up and garbage bin was put away. You took my garbage, now it's yours. Don't dump your garbage on my property!!! Now I am stuck with it until next week pickup. Grrrr.....

The power of HL! I have been on hold for 58 minutes so far to schedule a driving test for my child. Started to type here to make myself feel better. And as I started to type, they answered. I wonder why the DMV doesn't put on more operators, they know the wait times are long.

hktownie hktownie
May '16

hktownie - next time let your child to schedule it. It's a great test to see if she/he can handle traffic on NJ roads without going mad.

Lena - I agree. If he/she is old enough to be ready for the responsibility of driving, he/she is old enough to learn what the MVC is all about. LOL

Calico696 Calico696
May '16

What gives people the right to completely disregard the rules and responsibilities of renting a car? We had to get a rental due to my husband's car being rear ended on Friday and the car he got REEKS of cigarette smoke. Like someone smoked a pack a day in there with the windows rolled up. It's just so infuriating. This is also the second car that we have to trade because the first car that the rental place gave us had non-functioning shredded windshield wiper blades.

So my second vent is places of business that don't do their jobs properly. They should not have been renting a car that didn't have working wiper blades. Then when my husband called they wanted him to go have them replaced himself.

Tracy Tracy
Jun '16

Just back from walking at the park, picked up three bottles carelessly left behind by people who have no regard for,the beauty of the park. Shame on them.

Nature Lover Nature Lover
Jun '16

Tracey: the car place didn't do its job with the cigarette smell either; there's plenty of stuff to get rid of that before passing the car on. Sure the driver's at fault but the business should have covered or given you some money back.

Jun '16

People who lie - and make things up (except when telling stories to children) -
Caught once - I don't feel I can ever believe them again..............

4catmom 4catmom
Jun '16

Or people that you've confided in, only to later violate your trust.

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Jun '16

"People who lie - and make things up" "only to later violate your trust" - Sounds like we all cannot vote this year.

DannyC DannyC
Jun '16

sitting on my hands--- not really talking about politicians -- that's just what they do

4catmom 4catmom
Jun '16

4catmom - I dislike people who lie, especially politicians during a critical presidential election. Wish it was not the norm this year. And I hope there is something I can do about it. Hand-sitting is not on my bucket list. Any other ideas?

DannyC DannyC
Jun '16

SD, thankfully we swapped it for a better smelling car with fully functioning wiper blades. And the driver that hit my husband's car will be paying for the rental through his insurance policy.

Tracy Tracy
Jun '16

Yea!!!!

Once, when I was a smoker, I got to my room all the way at the end of the hall noticing a growing swamp coming from the ice room next door. I open the hotel room door for the first time and literally got blown off my feet by the cigarette smell.

Got a really nice upgrade!

Pays to speak up at the time of disapproval rather than doing the ole "maybe we can live with it." Glad it worked out.

Jun '16

Ha, well, had my husband been able to identify the smell when he picked up the car....he would have saved himself the extra exchange. It worked out fine since the car we have now gets much better gas mileage than the smelly one would have.

Tracy Tracy
Jun '16

Neighbor weed whacking at 7am. Really? I know people have different schedules, but come on. Society just doesnt give a damn about each other.

Botheredbyuu2 Botheredbyuu2
Jun '16

Botheredbyou2 - Lucky it was a neighbor, who you can at least talk to, hopefully in English. God help you if it was from some "maintenance" subcontractor employed by a forced fee-collecting property owners association, whacking away your plants in the early morning hours and doing serious damage to your garden investments.

DannyC DannyC
Jun '16

BBU.... we have had on going construction next door for over a year Monday through Saturday, usually starting at 6:30-7:30am....On occasion completely disregarding the rules and working through the night, or working on Sundays and holidays.....I would gladly take your neighbor and occasionally have to deal with a weed wacker at this point

Darrin Darrin
Jun '16

How about dump trucks rolling down Willow Grove St. at 5:00 in the morning (no need for an alarm clock) and finding it necessary to hit every man hole cover that wasn't installed correctly when the road was paved. Then again at 6 and 7. Starts up again in the pm, 7 and 8, oh no now the night shift 10 &11. BAM BAM BAM. Coming and going, coming and going.

auntiel auntiel
Jun '16

How about the empty trash haulers rolling down the 46 hill into Hackettstown hitting the cement joints. Gates and beds slamming like shotgun blasts all the way up Petersburg and Russling Roads.. Hope has blocked them via traffic laws so we get all those too. Thank goodness for the repaving that reduced the effect; hope it holds.

But I say before 8 am on a weekday, there ought to be a law.

Before 10 am on Sunday --- sacrilege.

Especially by neighbors.

Jun '16

Wow Darrin thats rough.

Jun '16

Just love it when people are good to go out to party, drink etc., but too sick to keep up their property! It hurts the property values in the neighborhood, but what do they care. Have they no shame?

WTH - I have been successful by offering to help with clean-up, gardening and minor maintenance, while sharing an ice cold six-pack, of course. Everybody's happy and the neighborhood is improved.

DannyC DannyC
Jun '16

Danny C- No way I would help these people out as they have very lazy able bodied adult kids who hang around and party all day long plus the husband and wife. I bust my but to keep up my place. The town of Hackettstown needs to get after them. It is shamefull. The house siding is full of mold, garbage everywhere, and the grass and weeds in the back is so high it's growing thru their deck. So no Danny, I'm not about to do anything for these people.

WTH, do I win a prize if I guess the neighborhood?

Seenit
Jun '16

Seenit, I think Danny C may be willing to give you a six pack however, it's not in his neighborhood.

I wish those that "got out" and left the state would stop spewing their pro-gun, pro--fireworks pro everything opinions to themselves. You left NJ so move on! If you love your new place - great. Why are you so concerned what goes on here? Too much available time???

thinkingoutloud thinkingoutloud
Jun '16

Thinkingoutloud - I was about to write the exact same thing. It's just odd that they keep coming back when they were so eager to get out. Let it go already, feel free to start your own community website or visit one of the hundreds of thousands other sites.

Please post your "classifieds" under the correct category. Not too hard.

Jul '16

You can't be proud of me for working 2 jobs and being the bread winner of the family and then criticize me for not being available for every appointment.

Andrew's Mom Andrew's Mom
Jul '16

It's really sad when someone is so filled with rage and anger that they get out of their car at a traffic light, slam their hand against someone's car window and scream obscenities at a woman, completely unprovoked.

I hope the man in the blue blazer, driving a metallic dark gray Jeep Grand Cherokee gets the anger management help he so desperately needs.

Tracy Tracy
Jul '16

Getting out of your car is definitely over the top and dangerous for both people. I must admit though after witnessing the way some people drive, I feel like doing that some days lol!
Not that it makes it any better, but who knows maybe they knew each other? Could have been a personal issue? I Have seen that one... One leaving the house and the other chasing right behind...

JRT, maybe it wasn't clear in my post. I was the the victim in this particular incident. I did not know him or encounter him before arriving at the light ahead of him.

Tracy Tracy
Jul '16

I hope you called the police - anyone who is going to rage like that is a danger to others

skippy skippy
Jul '16

Ooohhh lol! I misread it...yes I agree with skippy the police should have been called. I hope you didn't have your children in the car, that would have scared them.

Thanks, I did call the police, and I had just dropped my babies off a few minutes earlier. I wasn't able to get the driver's license plate number since he was behind me and I turned left while he went straight. I don't keep my phone out while I'm driving and I was fumbling for it in my bag when the light changed so I couldn't snap a pic or anything. I kind of just wanted to get away from him. I got calls back from two lovely Chester Township police officers to follow up. One said he was on another stop when he saw the call come in about a possible road rage incident and he left that stop right away to pursue since it's something that can escalate.

Tracy Tracy
Jul '16

I'm sorry that happened to you, Tracy.

Mom of 1&1 Mom of 1&1
Jul '16

Tracy good job for keeping calm! Thankfully your babies weren't in the car and you are ok.

Agreed - sorry that happened

skippy skippy
Jul '16

I hate how bad the sidewalks in Hackettstown are. Every time I go for a walk I end up in the street in certain sections because either the bushes are growing over the sidewalk, or it's in just such bad shape I don't want to risk tripping and falling. :(

Sunshine Sunshine
Jul '16

Once again, I have to vent that selfish inconsiderate LAZY people don't put their carts back!! My husband's side mirror was ripped off by a cart while at Target, picking up a prescription for our sick child.

Tracy Tracy
Jul '16

People suck - sorry that happened

skippy skippy
Jul '16

Skippy - People on this forum suck. Why bother?

DannyC DannyC
Jul '16

Than why do you bother?

positive positive
Jul '16

Indeed - positive - good question

4catmom 4catmom
Jul '16

I thought he was done with Hackettstown life.

John C John C
Jul '16

And moving.

kb2755 kb2755
Jul '16

And had the worlds fastest pancreatic cancer surgery to get out of plant exchange (11 hours door to door from 07840 to NYC recovery included - if Positive does not like you - that is bad juju dude - she is the sweetest person on earth. Hang it up bro - change your name or something.

skippy skippy
Jul '16

I may not agree with some posts but the personal picking on someone feels low - I get it's the venting thread and all. There but for the grace of God...

Look who is posting though - I am a jerk face granted but seriously - john C and Positive are super sweet people - there is a back story trust me it's warranted

skippy skippy
Jul '16

If you say so man. All good.

skippy skippy
Jul '16

Skippy - I had a big piece or my pancreas, plus my gall bladder removed as well, in a two hour minimally invasive surgery to cure me of pancreatic cancer, which probably saved my life. F*ck you if you think this was insignificant, but it's my life.

DannyC DannyC
Jul '16

Danny, maybe you shouldn't lie about something so serious and you won't get the reactions that you are getting now. No need to lie to get people to like you and accept you.

Perhaps start all over again and show your true self?

Second chances are alright with me....

positive positive
Jul '16

@skippy - you're not a jerk face and I like your posts even though we disagree on the political ones :-)

positive - What are you talking about? I have survived cancer, at least for the last four months, with minimal side effects, but under therapy and still have some pain. No lies. What do you want from me? I do not understand why you do not believe me. Fed up with most people on this forum, and hope it does not include you.

DannyC DannyC
Jul '16

DannyC - you're wrong brother. Back it off man it's over

Thanks bonv I enjoy yours as well - we can all enjoy fellowship despite politics.

skippy skippy
Jul '16

Skippy - Are you saying that I am dead? Not quite yet, pal. Back off of what, man?

DannyC DannyC
Jul '16

No I'm saying that you purposely presented an ailment and corrective treatment which is implausible - I'm also saying with numerous members of the community behind me that it's ok we get it and we accept you - be you not a front - be you and our friend even better - we accept me as a rampant 2A nut ex cop super conservative - who are my best buds ? Positive bonv and others who hate my ideology - but respect my integrity - be you and we respect and like that which is DannyC - SD may not like me but we have a mutual respect - be with integrity - it suits you

skippy skippy
Jul '16

skippy - I take minimal meds to keep up my strength after cancer surgery, eating well, exercising, plus shooting insulin daily for type 1 diabetes as the result of losing part of the pancreas. Give me a break, just trying to stay alive. With due respect for your integrity, this is my vent for now. Tough getting old. But there is no reason to question my successful surgery and my battle with cancer. Not many succeed. Please wish me the best in this battle. Thanks.

DannyC DannyC
Jul '16

"My husband's side mirror was ripped off by a cart while at Target"

And this, my friends, is why I love and will always support Shoprite for temporarily holding my quarter as ransom....returned carts mean no errant strays to come anywhere near my shiny new precious.

eperot eperot
Jul '16

I agree eperot! I actually had a lady come up to me at Walmart and thank me for putting my cart away. I wasn't feeling very well and was like why is this lady coming straight towards me I don't have the energy for an argument. Instead she was just being friendly and appreciative. I always try to take one from the parking lot on my way in and then put it away on my way out.

Sunshine Sunshine
Jul '16

I should correct my vent that we suspect it was a cart that did the damage, since one was near the car when he returned. The surveillance cameras will know for sure, and if it was a vehicle, we'll let the police handle the matter from here.

Tracy Tracy
Jul '16

Could a cart actually rip off a mirror? I know mine has been scraped/dented in the past, but it sounds like maybe another vehicle was involved here. I don't know if a cart would have that much force behind it? If it was another vehicle I hope they find the person responsible.

If it rolls across a long distance I bet it could

skippy skippy
Jul '16

JRT - If I buy a couple of the large cat litter boxes, and a few other things, there could be 100 lbs in a cart. It's not impossible that it could be just the cart.

JRT, that's actually what I was asking my husband last night too. I'm sure it's possible, but it'd have to hit really good and at the right angle. The mirror was not broken, it was just snapped right off and hanging by the cord.

Tracy Tracy
Jul '16

Sure if there were items in the cart that added weight to it, I guess it is possible. If that were the case though I would still think it would need some momentum behind it to do such damage. Most people are able to catch a runaway cart (especially one that has their items still in it) within seconds so I'm still not convinced it was a cart.
I agree with Tracy that it would also have to be at just the right angle to snap it off. What does your husband drive?

Well Target called and said corporate would be contacting us. Evidently there was no evidence on the tapes that a car did it. There was no cart, then there was. It was during the storm, so the wind probably got it going. The car is a Prius.

Tracy Tracy
Jul '16

Aaaand, I've been mocked by a cocky Millennial. I am officially old.

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Jul '16

People still posting classifieds under wrong category. What's so hard about it?

Jul '16

Why do some people think it's ok to go into store and make a mess. Open stuff and leave it. Take things off rack and throw it some where else. Let kids run around to make a mess and then leave it. One woman took stuff off shelf and left it on floor. Thats ignorant.

Whoknows
Jul '16

Whokows - I find that an irritant as well. Just last night I ran to Weiss for some hot dog buns. As I approached the bread shelf a person had just pulled a package off the shelf causing another one to fall on the floor. He placed his package in his cart and simply stepped over the fallen one and began to walk off. As he was only three feet away from me I said " don't trouble yourself I'll get it....slob." I just got an ignorant look and he walked off.
I don't understand people sometimes.

++for Whoknows and Greg..I can't understand that behavior either. Uncontrollable kids in a store, that's a whole other topic.

Bessie Bessie
Jul '16

That is a very sore spot with me also, Whoknows.....I am a former business owner and now frequent a lot of the local stores and restaurants. Nothing has changed. I have witnessed kids darting in and out under the clothing racks..knocking people over, crawling under the tables in restaurants and throwing food on the floor, etc. etc. etc. and the parents or guardian are right nearby watching them do it.. ( and these are not usually tiny babies doing this either)... The sad part is that the store or restaurant owner just accepts this as their lot in life to get some business and nothing is ever said to them about this behavior. I rarely comment on this thread but your post seemed like a very good time to start...

Joyful Joyful
Jul '16

My daughter is a waitresses In the htown area during the summer months. Her stories of parents coming In with children -loaded with tablets, Iphones, games - the parents are on their phones - while the children play. When children become unruly, throw temper tantrums - the parents just pick the children up and ask to take the food out.... is this the new normal?

htownnewbie htownnewbie
Jul '16

htownnewbie - It's really funny to watch adults on their cell phones while being a worker behind a normally fast moving deli/sandwich counter. You can't interrupt them, but the other customers waiting in line usually do that job for you, sometimes getting nasty if they try to "cut in line". It would run a lot smoother if cell phones were checked at the door..

DannyC DannyC
Jul '16

Normal? My bosses (owners of a very affluent company) bring their almost 7 year old daughter to the office from time to time. My desk is just across from the entrance door. Usually she enters the room before them and she never greets me, just enters and goes straight to the empty desk or her mom's office. They never told her to greet me or say "goodbye". My male boss never greets me when he comes with his daughter. BTW I am the only employee at this office and work for them 7 years. And they tell everyone that she is a very smart and well behaved child that attends prominent private school.

WOW, no vents for a whole month. Nice.

auntiel auntiel
Aug '16

Here's a vent. Toddler fevers! So tired of the cycle of sickness that is always plaguing this house.

Tracy (mobile) Tracy (mobile)
Aug '16

My vent: HL is prohibiting me from my freedom of speech! LoL

I'm trying to post on a thread where I was the last one to post a week ago and I get the message "You've already made the last few comments. Let someone else have a turn."

Is this really necessary on here? For threads like music, jokes, and quotes, I think people enjoy reading them even though they don't comment. I know that's the case for me with some threads. So why not let the ones who do post have some fun?!

Any way this can be changed? :)

Signed- LaughingNoMore

Do we not have a current/active pet photo thread? (Iggy would be so upset with us!) Can't find it. Am I missing it? Always my fave thread to see everyone's furry family members. (Non-controversial usually, and one thing almost all of us agree on- animals are the bee's knees!) (And my foster will induce cuteness overload... must share.)

Rebecka Rebecka
Sep '16

My vent: when you look a co worker in the eyes and greet them with a "good morning" and they walk away with no acknowledgment but then want to have a conversation five minutes later. I find this to be very rude!

Hot corner Hot corner
Sep '16

Rebecka - This one has 2016 pics even if we didn't rename the title ;-)

http://www.hackettstownlife.com/forum/712049#t723105

Seriously? That is the latest one? I think Shuugs needs to start a new one.

Hot corner - I think *most* normal people would find that extremely rude. What odd behavior.

Rebecka Rebecka
Sep '16

You have to see Rebecka's foster (failure) child!!!! <3

Baci's mom Baci's mom
Sep '16

ROFLMBO Baci's mom. Obviously you think the chances of me giving him up are between 0-.01%?? :-P

Well he is to-die-for sweet and adorable (the universe sent me the most difficult test subject), *but* I really would like to become a foster/refuge home for animals in need. If I can't give up the first one I try, then I really can't be a foster home, can I? So... I am committed to trying to find Sammy the most loving forever situation. Cross your paws.

Rebecka Rebecka
Sep '16

So tired of people that are so insecure with themselves and are so pretentious to the point of BSing their way through life..especially the ones over the age of 40.

Get over yourself.....

positive positive
Sep '16

Do you expect them to just wake up one day and be different LOL...

They're everywhere, positive. It's not worth your time to fret. Hang in there.

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Sep '16

Lol iJay I wish! I can't change anyone..just annoyed about the pretentiousness and BS of some people. I just don't have the tolerance nor patience for it.

positive positive
Sep '16

Thanks 3wbdwnj-just an annoyance that I wanted to vent, nothing earth shattering. Lol

positive positive
Sep '16

positive - you could always drop out of society. Read Thoreau.

happiest girl
Sep '16

Just saw a "See something, say something" commercial. BS? I was at the airport a few weeks ago. Took a seat at the gate area. Across from me is a suitcase & an open briefcase. No person. I look around. Nobody. After 10 minutes, I mention it to the gate agent. And I move away. Two agents watch the luggage for several minutes. Finally go to it. Got a name, since they went back to the desk and repeatedly called that name. No show. Eventually, a man shows up and sits by the luggage. They go over and chat with him a minute. Dont check id. Then we all get on the plane. What's the point of all of those "don't leave your luggage unattended" anouncements over and over? Anybody could have dropped anything in that briefcase.

maja2 maja2
Sep '16

Staples! Always poor service. No one ever at counter to help you. Fax machine always down. I call last night to see what time they open today and girls says 8am. Ok that's great. I get there at 830am and they don't open til 9. UGH! Always something! ! I'll be going to UPS from now on.

Sep '16

Maja2 - thought of your post - this weekend. Yikes!

htownnewbie htownnewbie
Sep '16

so useful if you're venting: https://youtu.be/2hgGj8kbuRk

4catmom 4catmom
Sep '16

I lost my car key. And note I'm not saying keyS, because I only had one. I was on the spare... lost the main one a year ago. Omg what an idiot I am! Who does this? Ugh.

Rebecka Rebecka
Sep '16

Chrissy, we are so sorry for your loss.

Chipster Chipster
Sep '16

Happens a lot Rebecka. I only have one key, but I have it on a blue snap. So when I lost it at the Field of Dreams, I looked for something blue. That helped. Found it pretty quickly. Another time I lost it under an article of clothing. Decided to do laundry and found the blue snap and key.

Ms Fishy Ms Fishy
Sep '16

I just feel like such a bonehead for not having a spare... or having the key attached to something that is easily findable. Someone said I might have to have the ignition re-keyed!

Rebecka Rebecka
Sep '16

Rebecka- I once threw one away thinking it was for my former car - learned just how expensive those things are--I don't make a habit of throwing items that cost that much away - felt super stupid
just remember - it's not life changing

4catmom 4catmom
Sep '16

Rebecka, depending on how new the car is, you can go to a auto locksmith, or the dealership with the vin and proof of ownership and they can make you a new key.

My first move would to be call a locksmith that does cars with your vehicle information, if they cannot help you call the dealership with your vehicle info and find out your options from them, it may be simpler then you imagine!

https://www.yourmechanic.com/article/how-to-replace-a-car-key

Darrin Darrin
Sep '16

Thank you so much, Darrin. That was great info. Unfortunately, though, I've now learned that my key will not be an easy one to replace. :(

If y'all see a woman getting around town like this, just wave and smile...

Rebecka Rebecka
Sep '16

WOW Walmart is particularly special tonight. Like one bearded lady short of being able to charge admission special.

Rebecka Rebecka
Oct '16

Oh I wish I had been there-Walmart. I love it when it gets Iike that. Free entertainment.

A good day
Oct '16

Donald Trump is a dirty old man-narcissistic-pig....ahhh...I feel better now.
I realize this may never make it to the thread, but it was therapeutic anyway.

Spring fever Spring fever
Oct '16

Very hurt that my own mother just told me that I'm too old (49) to pursue a career in ultrasound. I guess I looked for support in the wrong place. Very upsetting....

positive positive
Oct '16

Never look to others for validation positive. You know what you can do, so just do it. Make it happen.

justintime justintime
Oct '16

Of course you can do it, positive. You are not "too old!" We are living too long these days to do one thing only for our entire lives IMHO. People can make career changes at any age for any reason, and one of those reasons most certainly is: because you feel like it!
Just heard the inspirational story from my life coach of a woman who at 70 affirmed she had always wanted to study law... and at 75 had her law degree. Much older than you, and that didn't stop her.
Live bravely, I say!

Rebecka Rebecka
Oct '16

I was in my 40's when I went from photography to computers. Even though the IT industry is a young man's game I still succeeded and hold an IT position even though I am past normal retirement age. Don't let anyone tell you that it can't be done. Life experience makes you a better student and the life lessons are valuable for critical thinking which is no longer taught in schools. Good luck in your new career path and wishing you much success positive.

You go for it, positive!

Dansker Dansker
Oct '16

I'm so sorry your mother wasn't supportive of you. Like others have said go for what you want. Your mother is projecting her own limitations on you. And as MK said, your age is an asset because your life experience will help you tremendously. I know from my own experience that you'll run circles around the younger students because of it. And it says a lot about your commitment and enthusiasm because of your age. Pursue your dreams! We're here for you!

Positive... are you my sister, by any chance? My mother would have said the same thing, only probably would have had more expletives in it....LOL
Anyway... you're definitely looking at an excellent career change. Healthcare is on the rise, and you're always going to be needed. Besides , they can't outsource your job. Go for it!!!

sparksjbc1964 sparksjbc1964
Oct '16

My vent:
Why do most people tell managers only bad feedback about their employees, but when they get exceptional service, above the norm, and are extremely satisfied, they say nothing to the boss. I know it's the responsibility of the employee to treat all their customers great, it would still be nice if more folks help spread good news to their bosses, instead of just only complaints.

Oct '16

Sparks, I often give feedback for good service. I always like when people put in a good word for me, so I do the same for them. I will also tell people directly that it was a pleasure dealing with them. It never hurts to be kind and it makes you feel better at the same time. Being miserable to everyone (as is demonstrated here often) must be a tough way to go through life, LOL.

Bessie Bessie
Oct '16

People don't care about people. I work retail and a lot of customers treat us like garbage. Rude,ignorant and look down on us. Only hear complaints. NEVER anything positive. Most people I come in contact with are just plain miserable. I don't get it.

Positive - I've known you for 20+ years. I know YOU CAN DO IT. Don't let anyone discourage you. Not even the "beer-nut".

Oct '16

Positive - my mother got her MSW when she was in her 50's .....you're a youngster...you'll be fine

4catmom 4catmom
Oct '16

It is never too late, you just may need to adjust what constitutes success. In MK's example, it can work today just don't have your heart set on working at Google:

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/more-software-engineers-over-age-195308179.html

If you give up your dreams you die

skippy skippy
Oct '16

Go for it positive! It would have been nice to have your mother's support but don't let that limit you. 49 is the new 19 :-)

Thanks so much!!!!

positive positive
Oct '16

Who gave those soul sucking vultures at the AARP my date of birth? I can't even enjoy my last day of being 49 without being accosted at the mailbox by a premature reminder of my impending old agedness.

Death by a thousand paper cuts for those who torment others with unsolicited mailings.

Courtney
Oct '16

Ha ha! I've been getting those mailings since I was 46. It must be a sick joke by someone.

positive positive
Oct '16

Got my first AARP mailing this year too. That's not right!

justintime justintime
Oct '16

Too funny! My mom feels the same way about getting AARP mailings. She called them and tried to get removed from their mailing list. Apparently that was well beyond the comprehension capabilities of the rep she got on the line.

She now refers to them as the American Association of Retarded People.

Rebecka Rebecka
Oct '16

Hey, feel lucky. I'm getting them from cemetery's.

Oct '16

Lol SD!

Rebecka, I called them too and seems I've been getting more mailings since my call! Lol

positive positive
Oct '16

How about the hearing tests? Getting at least one a month now in the mail now.

Roywhite Roywhite
Oct '16

Rebecka I'm starting to think the majority of the public has a hard time comprehending anything! Lol

I was at the Honda Dealer on Monday. Woman came in asking to be removed from mailing list because she was receiving multiple advertisement by mail as well as electronically. Girl behind desk didn't seem to understand what she was asking and repeated it several times all while looking baffled. At one point she went to ask another person about it lol. The funny part was when the woman stated again she didn't need the paper mailings because she was getting it electronically...,the girl looks at her and says "oh you mean by email?" Lmao

Yes... I'm beginning to think there may be something to the conspiracy theory that "they're putting something in the water." Not sure what else can explain the widespread apparent lack of brainpower affecting our Nation. Good thing at least a small portion of the population still drinks bottled... but it is it me, or is it a smaller portion every year? Maybe the zombies *are* secretly taking over?!
;-)

Rebecka Rebecka
Oct '16

I've noticed that there is a ton of tension in the air recently.

People on the roads driving even more aggressively than we're used to in NJ; acts of random aggression (I witnessed two cashiers at different stores being nearly verbally assaulted by customers over nothing last week); and I myself had a weird encounter with someone getting 'in my face' last Sunday totally out of the blue.

It's noticeable on the forum, too. People who usually stay out of the fray of arguments (me included) have gotten caught up in them.

I've been thinking about it and I believe the build-up of tension has to do with the election which now looms closely on the horizon. People who feel strongly about one candidate or the other might be feeling stressed or angry or nervous that their candidate might not win. The media plays a huge part in dividing us along party lines, and practically invites us to hate those who don't agree with our poliitical views.

I can't wait until this stupid election is over, and I hope things get back to normal in December.

Anyone else noticing tension in the air and think it might have to do with election homestretch?

Rebecka Rebecka
Oct '16

http://www.apa.org/news/press/releases/2016/10/presidential-election-stress.aspx

the american psychological association agrees with you

skippy skippy
Oct '16

Full moon this week

eapos eapos
Oct '16

Rebecka
I agree with you. I have been feeling ready to pick a fight with some people (not necessarily on the forum) which is not usual and think I need to stop listening to CNN.

Can't wait for this election to be over and hopeful that it quiets down here.

A good day
Oct '16

The full moon was two days ago and it was of pretty impressive size in the sky due to its relative proximity to Earth. Supermoon, they call it. The November full moon is supposed to be even closer to earth (within two hours of full perigee) and they gave it the awe-inspiring name of "Extra-Supermoon", lol. Can't wait for the Double Secret Extra Supermoon... maybe the Weather Channel will start giving them names (-;

ianimal ianimal
Oct '16

Just thinking the same thing yesterday...

JrzyGirl88 JrzyGirl88
Oct '16

back to normal? it will be Hillary scandal season R1.0....

For you Rebecca:
"Holy Father, what's the matter?
Where have all your children gone?
Sittin' in the dark,
Livin' all by themselves,
You don't have to hide anymore!

All you zombies show your faces,
All you people in the street,
All you sittin' in high places,
The pieces gonna fall on you!"

Oct '16

Quoting "The Hooters"? Sounds like something more appropriate for a Trump supporter, lol.

ianimal ianimal
Oct '16

Wow there was a survey on it! Thanks for the link skippy.

And I totally believe in the Full Moon influence too. Ralphie* was an ER doc in Manhattan when he was young. He says things would go **completely** haywire around the time of the full moon. Said all the docs and nurses wished they could call in sick around full moons.

Too bad everyone in the country can't get a teeny little Rx for Xanax. Just to get us by for a short time. Until the moon phase passes and the ballot boxes close, say. Either that or make it double let's all agree to chill lol.

*new forum nickname for my DH (thanks to a funny comment skippy made on another thread)

Rebecka Rebecka
Oct '16

How i wish we could have a Like button on this Venting post.

htownnewbie htownnewbie
Oct '16

Full moon gravity pull on brain fluid :>)

Darned science ---- http://www.livescience.com/7899-moon-myths-truth-lunar-effects.html

Oct '16

spot on Rebecka, folks is all riled up lately, i have seen friendships and long term relationships bust up over this toxic election cycle, the emotions are off the charts dealing with this R & D messarama we are mired in. not a good thing. I have made the conscious choice to not take any human victims along the way.

it will be over soon, and we can all start to move forward together, whoever the the next president is, they will be president for all of us, (at least for the Americans here) and we need to pull together for a change. (may take a while to get over the post election hangover for sure, but a new dawn will burn bright and we can rise up to greet the new day with some 'can do' energy)

very little chance trump pulls it off, Hill is a shoe in at this point, my personal prediction is NJ will go for her by a 12 - 15 % margin, no need to even go out and vote, what for?

everybody can start to breath all the way out now, it's a good thing, and no Xanax for me thank you very much, (don't like pills) but scotch is on the table for proper 'attitude adjustments', (like the label says - "Use as needed")

BrotherDog BrotherDog
Oct '16

I agreee! Between the election and the full moon, it's been nuts. So many people flying through red lights when it's already green in the other direction and people, including a cop (NOT in Hackettstown, btw) who don't stop when other people have stopped to let a pedestrian cross. Seems as though so many folks are angry and/or out for themselves or just completely inconsiderate, though I have to admit, the father of the young lady who was waiting to cross the street yelled "Thanks!" over to me after she crossed. It's a good thing she saw the cop barrelling down the road (NO lights or siren) and waited until they blew by to cross.

By the way, for the people that drive a car length or less from my rear bumper (at 45 or 50 mph) while I'm following someone at a safe distance (re:2 second rule). It will not force me to follow them any closer, so BACK THE F OFF! You obviously know nothing about physics or safe driving techniques, so I recommend you learn a few. If they (and susequently I) have to panic stop to avoid a deer, I won't be in their rear end, but you'll be into my bumper. Guess who gets the blame - YOU, for following too closely!

Phil D. Phil D.
Oct '16

I agree totally! Not sure if it's the moon, the election or both but boy would I like it to get back to normal!

Sunshine Sunshine
Oct '16

Well said Phil D. I was thinking the rules for safe distance and also turn signals have been eliminated and I wasn't aware of it. Glad to know they are still in force, however, ignored.

justwondering justwondering
Oct '16

micromanagers...Grrr...

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Oct '16

3wbdwnj

I second that one!

justwondering

It seems as though many people are taking the "right turn on red" law as just that, rather than as stated in Title 39 and the Drivers' Manual, never mind the whole idea of a "STOP" sign meaning to actually STOP before proceeding! As I mentioned before, lately it's gotten just crazy. I see people slow down a bit going towards a stop sign or red light, then speed up and continue right through it, whether people traveling on the cross street are close or not.

That's a violation of two laws right there, perhaps more (failure to heed a traffic control device, making a turn when vehicles are too close to the intersection and/or making an improper turn). I'll have people blow through a stop sign when I'm almost right on top of them, only for them to speed up, then jam on their brakes again 200 or so feet later to slowly turn into a business. Of course this all happens when there is NOBODY following me. I don't get it. You're supposed to wait for vehicles that pose a clear and present danger, then go, but they can't wait the few seconds for me (or whomever else they cut off) to pass by, then they have a clear path.

Of course there's also the habit of people riding up to several feet into the oncoming lane. I don't know if people think it will give them a "jump" on any deer that may run by. In short, it's highly unlikely that it will. Secondly, it's a BAD habit to get into, as well as again being a violation of title 39. I'd hope that nobody gets a wake up call from a fully loaded dump truck coming the other way while they're absorbed in whatever reverie is going on in their head rather than driving. Of course I've also been behind a fully loaded dump truck that was doing that in the upper curves just past Waterloo village that almost put an oncoming BMW (that WAS in their lane) into the ditch as the driver avoided a collision with the truck!

PLEASE folks, be mindful and careful about what you're doing on the road. Your car isn't driving itself on the road, at least not yet. You need to be engaged and attentive to DRIVING, for your, and everyone else's sake!

Phil D. Phil D.
Oct '16

Phil, I have a question. When did the shoulder of the road become a driving lane? They cross a solid white line and drive the shoulder to make their right turn. PV, Ryan Road and Willow Grove are the worst in this area. Do they think by doing this it will keep them safe or traffic flowing? It's dangerous and very confusing. I am not talking passing on the right. I thought I've seen everything until Sunday I saw a pick up use the wide shoulder to pass a vehicle who was not turning. I was oncoming, could not believe my eyes. Scary stuff these humans driving.

auntiel auntiel
Oct '16

My continuing vent: Guilty until proven innocent.

The trend continues:
http://thehill.com/policy/technology/301629-half-of-americans-in-face-recognition-databases-report

I know, I know, if you've got nothing to hide blah blah blah. That doesn't make it right.

justintime justintime
Oct '16

I think it actually does the opposite, if effectively utilized. Innocent have documentation. As do guilty. You see Orwell, i assume, but that ship sailed a long time ago. If you have a smartphone or use the internet, the capability to track you is completely inherent in the software. Example (somewhat innocent, but irritating), frequently after I do a search, on Amazon or Google, say for cast iron cookware, when I click on HL Forum the ad on the top is cookware related. Cookies and really smart algorithms. If we accept and embrace the technology, we accept the attempts to understand us. It's less nefarious than an attempt to monetize. Easy to avoid...kill the smartphone, kill the computer, stop paying bills online, start making landline phone calls and writing checks. What's right? Be smart, embrace the technology or get completely off the grid. Or just moan and offer no alternatives.

Yankeefan Yankeefan
Oct '16

The difference is tracking by corporations (you can choose to opt out by not adopting certain technologies) and tracking by government (you can't).

Rebecka Rebecka
Oct '16

Wow, stop the boat on that one Yankeefan. I agree with JIT on this one and I'm surprised it's only half. They have been farming Facebook and other social media for years. They just troll the profiles to get all the pictures with the names. Got your picture on Hackettstownlife. They have it.

Every time we give to some of this, we lose just a little bit more of our liberty. Welcome to the New Age. Orwellian indeed. Could be worse, it could be London.

Oh yeah, delete cookies on exit and you can slow some of it down.

Oct '16

I'm with you guys. Do you know that police cars scan all license plates? That's a little unnerving. I held off getting a smart phone or GPS because of the tracking capacity. I'm innocent but that doesn't mean I want to be under constant surveillance.

SD who is "they"?

Yankeefan Yankeefan
Oct '16

RAS so are you posting to HL via Morse Code?

Yankeefan Yankeefan
Oct '16

Darn, license plate scanning. That's a new one to me but it is certainly happening.

Yankee, domestically it would be the FBI. Just like the story says. Internationally would be CIA. And gosh only knows what NSA does.

Like I said social media provides some of the best publicly available information. By now, I am sure they have automated the whole thing and it's computer driven.

Oct '16

NSA does what it damn pleases...

And here I thought this was the venting thread...

Another vent for today: folks who worship control above respect for others, just to satiate their own personal fears. Get over it, the world's going to be a scary place even if you impose significant restraints over others. In fact, it should be obvious that the world is getting ever more scary the more control that is exerted, so best be careful what it is you wish for because the results won't resemble anything like the ideal in your mind. IOW, knock it off - you're only making things worse.

justintime justintime
Oct '16

it is called ALPR - automatic license plate recognition - made by our friends at 3M under the PlateSmart name

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automatic_number_plate_recognition

http://www.iacp.org/ALPR

Great stuff for finding vehicles that are stolen or otherwise wanted (NCIC) but requires 6 cameras for installation (at least it used to). What you need to be worried about is the private users of these things - https://vigilantsolutions.com/. Repo companies and private investigators. pay attention to pickup trucks circling the lots at the rockaway mall around holiday time - you will see the cameras and the "sneeker" tow lift under the bed.

http://www.sneekerlift.com/htm/pickup.htm

Many states such as CT have laws which require the data to be purged every X amount of days.

http://articles.courant.com/2012-02-21/news/hc-aclu-license-plate-scans-0222-20120221_1_license-plate-scans-police-cars

skippy skippy
Oct '16

This judge and the man who raped his 12yo daughter could use more control. And the mom supports the 60 day sentence?? So the sons can have their rapist dad in their lives. Sick.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/10/19/us/montana-judge-incest-case

maja2 maja2
Oct '16

Going in on a group gift and one person backs out. After you've bought the gift and given it. People are asshats.

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Oct '16

@3wb - you have the best words.

My vent: Monday mornings! 9 texts before 9am. On days like this I think I should just skip the coffee and go straight for Red Bull.

Rebecka Rebecka
Oct '16

Having a problem finding a elbow specialist. Broke the ulna head and looking to avoid surgery. Calling every office to hear we don't have anyone able to do elbow.

UGGGGGGGGGG

Christine Christine
Oct '16

Christine - Can't promise about not having surgery, and it's not just right in H-town. But Dr Primiano in East Stroudsburg. Did both of my mom's wrists, and when they still had such a thing, I was his paperboy.

there arae quite a few if you google doctors for elbows, NJ - like https://www.tri-countyortho.com/specialties/elbow

4catmom 4catmom
Oct '16

Is it secretly Friday the 13th or something?! Everyone including me seems to be having the WORST day possible, where everything that can go wrong IS going wrong.

Is there anyone out there who is having a lovely/wonderful/blissful day and can reassure me that life is still good somewhere, and we're not all going to hell in a hand basket... and maybe we'll get to enjoy the weekend... if we survive today?

Rebecka Rebecka
Oct '16

Rebecka - It's a wonderfully brisk day, I'm eating some terrific Thai chicken & potato, the cats are good and got a liver & bacon surprise treat, and Bubba D Truk just helped me get some much needed new living room chairs. I'm looking forward to some good fried chicken and even better company later. All while doing my good deeds for the day.

It's so wonderful/blissful I think the cats may not be the only afternoon snoozers. ;-)

Rebecka, I'm having a good day today, but when I do have a day like you are describing I have a fool-proof way to eliminate at least a little of the stress....I do a Sudoku puzzle or two and or play a mindless I Pad game. Works like a charm for me. Hope your day gets better.

Spring fever Spring fever
Oct '16

Ugh. Had a bit of a scare today. Somedays just dont go as planned.

Roywhite Roywhite
Oct '16

Good news for me today! But I won't bore everyone with the details. Life is good Rebecka. Trust me. :)

John C John C
Oct '16

GC, Spring, John - thank you. I am reassured and have managed to calm down a bit! Need to also do a good deed, GC - that seems to always put me in the correct frame of mind. (Which I am unfortunately not always able to maintain these days!)

What is happening today that is driving me batty: insurance companies are denying coverage to patients who legitimately need their medicine. I want to jump through the phone and throttle the ins. co. "doctors" who are doing the denying. I don't know what to do with the anger I have for these greedy corporations. Medicine in this country is such a mess!! All I can do is fight so that every last patient gets coverage, but it's taking just about all of my time and energy.

Roy - sorry you are in about the same boat as me as me today. Hopefully the scare is over and done with and it will be smooth sailing to the weekend.

John - go ahead, bore us with the happy details! ;-)

Rebecka Rebecka
Oct '16

Oh Rebecka!! I am in the medical field too (for nearly 25 years now) and the industry has changed so dramatically it makes my head spin. I am having a pretty sh*tty day in the office too. We had a patient who had an emergent procedure performed and their insurance will not pay for it. Their reasoning is that is was done during normal working hours (which it was) but without prior authorization!!! These insurance companies have everyone by the b*lls and it is truly exhausting to try and fight with them.

And BTW, men suck too (sorry guys, I know not all of you do)

Frustrated Frustrated
Oct '16

@Frustrated - OMG someone who understands!! Prior auths are going to be the death of me, I swear! They should be outlawed. As for not getting a prior auth before an emergent procedure - the nerve of them. As if you're going to let the patient decline while waiting for the pen pushers to say it's ok to treat her. Sure, that's great medicine. Right. *Anything* to not approve a claim. And it's the patients who suffer. It's enough to make your head spin alright! Yours and mine both.

Re: men - remember you just have to find ONE good one. ;-)

Rebecka Rebecka
Oct '16

OMG Rebecka I nearly fell off my chair when I saw your post. I was on the phone with my mom just crying for like a half hour..........You know it's bad when at 52 you have to call mommy.........This day has been one thing after another, then a bunch of stuff from the past month or so seems to pop into my head while Im dealing with all the currant day crap!

I have been praying for the person who has irked my girk today, I've been praying that God take all the other stuff from me,........I've written about it and I put the paper in what I call the "God box" it's a way to symbolically give my worrys to God, I've talked to a couple of people about it.....and will continue to share about it until I'm sick of hearing myself talk about it.........and I plan on taking a Calgon bath later tonight.

You are NOT alone.........it's been a crazy, one thing after another happening kind of day for me too!!

Thank you for sharing about your day, it always helps to know Im not alone.

littlelu littlelu
Oct '16

Littlelu - today can only be better. It has to be, right? I spoke with about 7 people yesterday who were at their wits end. So you/we were not alone, for sure.

Praying for the person who irked you - now that's something you don't hear every day! Not everyone can manage that -- kudos. (I was closer to wondering where I could purchase a few voodoo dolls.)

Rebecka Rebecka
Oct '16

Inconsiderate and unappreciative people! ! UGH!!! How the hell were you raised???

Oct '16

My vent is allowing ANY insurance companies to be publicly traded. That is one of the BIGGEST conflicts of interest, I've ever heard of. How "the golden skeleton " is legal, is beyond me. They even give out golden skeleton key chains, at their stockholders meetings.
All insurance companies... car, home etc. Same thing. Should not be publicly traded. The only way to keep beating earnings is to deny the very products you pay for. Legal thievery...

Oct '16

I googled golden skeleton and Came up empty - whats the deal there

skippy skippy
Oct '16

I've never heard the term "golden skeleton" either, but then I don't know much about what goes on behind the scenes at insurance companies.

This seems like an interesting summary and book:
http://www.delaydenydefend.com/excerpt/

(Which I won't read, because my blood pressure is already high enough just from dealing with them.)

Rebecka Rebecka
Oct '16

Watch "We're not broke ", on Netflix . I believe they touched on the subject. There's know actual company called the golden skeleton. They just gave out the key chains, at a stockholders meeting. Not sure which company it was. But all health insurance companies shouldn't be publicly traded.

Oct '16

Ok - so you're against for profit healthcare entirely ? I'm not trying to be obstinate I don't get the reference

skippy skippy
Oct '16

I'm not sure how that would work, either, unless we become a Socialist country? Which at this point might have something to be said for it, at least in terms of healthcare! The whole healthcare industry in this nation needs one giant reset.

Two vents for today:

My new car has technology, like ways to stream music for example, that I've never even heard of, let alone know how to use. Which basically makes me feel like a dinosaur. A very *old* dinosaur.

Secondly, has anyone ever put off doing laundry for so long that you get to the point of wearing mismatched socks? (Asking for a friend.)

Rebecka Rebecka
Nov '16

ever bought new socks or undies due to lack of laundry lol ?

skippy skippy
Nov '16

"My new car has technology...."

In that vein, I used to be able to flip the phone, hit a speed dial, turn the speakerphone on and make a hands-free call without taking my eyes off the road.

Now I have a smart phone. And whether answering or calling, I can not make a call without looking at it for a second. Is that smart? Or is the fact that my phone is trying to kill me proving that it's really smart?

Nov '16

I once had to buy new socks due to a lack of toilet paper, but that's a whole different conversation...

ianimal ianimal
Nov '16

It's bad enough I'm getting way too many political calls, but "Republican candidate for Bergen County". WTF?? Did some other candidate sell their list of contacts and now I get a call? What part of "Warren County at the other end of the state" do you not understand? Probably the same one that refuses to get me off their call list and I get 5 calls after 'being removed'. And you want to know who I'm voting for??? Obviously not you if I told you I wasn't interested in a poll to begin with.

PS - ianimal, you're a sick man.

I feel like I take one step forward and 3 steps back! My freaking elbow is killing me! They took cast off and have a sling only. They want me to move it so it doesn't become stuck. OK no problem BUT OMG! I cannot sleep and if I hit it one more time on something I am going to scream! This can't heal fast enough!!

Christine Christine
Nov '16

"I once had to buy new socks..." Iman has often lamented that he needs more socks. Even though at the same time, he tells us he's always all socksed up. Think he even sends socksting messages. He says that if someone doesn't give him socks, he gets his socks by himself.

Then Metsman jumped in and told us that women are only voting for Hillary because of her socks.

Nov '16

The next person (IRL) that tells me I "HAVE" to vote for HRC, rather than to vote for someone not affiliated with the two corrupted parties that couldn't field any better candidates than two I dislike, I'm going to tell them that I'm voting for Trump. Even though I don't plan on voting for him, that's the response they're going to get. They can call me a misogynistic racist, I don't care. I'm tired of their BS pushiness and insistence that she's some kind of saint. We're not even in a battleground state and we know she'll win here anyway, yet they insist that I HAVE to vote for her.

What, to make her "margin of victory" larger? Screw that. She'll win here already and those of us that vote for another candidate will be able to make our point(s). The Dems seem to think that the Indy candidates are only taking votes from her, but I'll tell you what, they're taking many from Trump too. People in "Real Life" that I talk with every day, just leave me the "F" alone on this and don't insist that I HAVE to vote for HRC.

Phil D. Phil D.
Nov '16

What's been driving me nuts? All the people who stubbornly insist on stopping traffic to turn left and cross Mountain Ave in an effort to go either to the bank next to the vacant old Marshalls or to go to Wendy's or Lowes....WHEN there's a dedicated left turn lane and green arrow about 200 feet further down the road. You are killing me by a thousand tiny cuts. It just stops the entire lane and then people try to fling their car into the right lane to pass and I've had more close calls than I can remember. Just drive the extra 200 feet to the light. JUST DO IT. ARGHHHHHHH!!!!!

This Public Service Announcement brought to you by common sense.

eperot eperot
Nov '16

eperot, that exactly. It's so infuriating.

Tracy Tracy
Nov '16

+2 on that eperot!

Phil D. Phil D.
Nov '16

How about the idiots who run the stop sign on Washington st and turn left towards the Mountain Ave Quick Check? You don't have the right of way. The people coming towards you from Mountain Ave do. I could have t-boned countless people over the years.

Metsman Metsman
Nov '16

Metsman

The same with those turning right from the stop sign right next to the Quick Check onto Mountain Ave. when you're the only one coming down Mt. Ave. but they HAVE to blow through that stop sign so you need to slam on the brakes to avoid hitting them, then only 100 feet later stop in front of you to make the right turn into the bagel shop, OR after you almost rear end them, they then speed up, only to slam on the brakes in front of the Dunkin Donuts.

Phil D. Phil D.
Nov '16

GC, I probably should have mentioned that it was during a 3-day canoe trip when there was nothing to drink but Genesee Cream Ale and Schmidt's Tall Boys. Wouldn't want you to think I made that decision lightly while sitting on my couch and just too lazy to go to the store, lol.

ianimal ianimal
Nov '16

ianimal - Was that post supposed to make it better? ;-)

Consider it a public service announcement for someone who may one day find himself or herself stuck in the woods and not quite sure if that nearby leaf belongs to the poison ivy family. A cotton sock is a much better option, both in terms of safety and effectiveness. (-;

ianimal ianimal
Nov '16

People who leave outgoing messages on their voice-mails instructing people to "leave a message and I'll get back to you at my earliest convenience."

Hmm.

Well ok.

Rebecka Rebecka
Nov '16

Hair place at Wal-Mart wanted to charge me $15.50 to just trim inch off my hair. Nothing else. Just a trim of the deadends. CRAZY! !

Nov '16

Why is that crazy, bby2? Someone is trying to earn a living.

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Nov '16

What's a fair price?

What's your problem with that message, Rebecka?

happiest girl
Nov '16

Re Haircut Pricing: I've called quite a few places to check on cost of "haircut only." For me a trim is all that's necessary when I get a haircut. The price at Walmart is by far the least expensive at $15.50. Most other local places are about double the Walmart cost. The next least expensive that I've found of the places I called is Tangles in Washington at $18 and McKenna's on Main St. at $25.00. Supercuts is around $16. Hope this information is helpful.

MrsPipes MrsPipes
Nov '16

Supercuts is now a dollar more, up to $17. They have coupons though that lower it to $14 if you join their mailing list.

That's a cheap trim. BUT remember you get what you pay for. I am just happy my sister is close to cut my hair now.

Christine Christine
Nov '16

Unless they are just cutting your bangs for that price....a haircut is a haircut. Same process... Doesn't matter if it's one inch or three getting cut!

I was wonderong that myself, happiest girl? Isn't that the proper response?

It's not a haircut. To me a haircut is changing your hair style. It's 1 inch off bottom. Maybe takes 5 minutes. Maybe!

Thanks Mrs Pipes

Nov '16

Haircuts are one of those services that tend to dollar cost average - yours took a few minutes but the person they spend a half hour with pays the same price - inequities exist in any flat rate system. I agree it's frustrating- next time get more done :)

skippy skippy
Nov '16

1 inch off the bottom, no layering? Just have someone cut it or do it yourself; bet YouTube could help you with that.

Short of the above, you will need to pay the minimum charge so you may want to look at the above or get a regular haircut or get a buzzcut at one length for $10 at some places...

That's why my ex used to ask me to trim her long hair for her sometimes. It was much easier to have me cut off any split ends or unevenness she had, rather than to go have it done somewhere that would cost her. I also was exceptionally good at combing out her long hair after she washed it. No pain from getting it "knotted" while combing:-)

Phil D. Phil D.
Nov '16

Well I think I know what Rebecka was inferring to; "my convenience", has to be convenient for THEM not for you. In my opinion, that is not a professional voice mail greeting. I'd be a little turned off by it too.

positive positive
Nov '16

Phil, when my dead ends need trimming can I PM you? I'll make you a gluten free pie. Lol!

positive positive
Nov '16

What, no one here has a Flowbee?? ;-)

The Flowbee!! Right up there with the wheel on the best invention list! LMAO!!!

How much is the Flowbee compared to making a gluten free pie?

positive positive
Nov '16

Why would the person call back at a time that was inconvenient to him or her? lol

positive - Flowbee is a one time investment of maybe $35. A gluten free pie you wear around your waist day in, day out. ;-)

Greg - Let me guess you go down to the river with your "Pocket Fisherman" wearing a bedazzled denim jacket gutting your fish with the Chop-O-Matic...

Don't forget spray on hair

skippy skippy
Nov '16

skippy - Don't go there. Considering Greg and me, I'd be the one with the need for that product. :-(

And bring your can of Flex Seal for when your canoe springs a leak.

Rebecka Rebecka
Nov '16

ha ha I am losing it too - no worries

skippy skippy
Nov '16

And when I cook my fish I just Set It And Forget It. LOL!

I need Africa again. It's been too long.

If you haven't been, one word: Go.
Just: Go.

Your worldview will change; your life will change.

Rebecka Rebecka
Nov '16

What are your favorite locations in Africa? I have been to South Africa and some countries north and west.

A good day
Nov '16

Favorites are: South Africa, Botswana, Tanzania. (All-time favorite, and if I had to choose a place to live amongst the countries I've been to - definitely South Africa.)

To do list: Namibia. Uganda.

Where have you been in Western Africa? Friends have been (with Medicins sans Frontiers) and it sounds fascinating!

Rebecka Rebecka
Nov '16

I just saw Book of Mormon. Does that count as a trip to Uganda? :)

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Nov '16

Ghana & Nigeria.

A good day
Nov '16

Pretty much EMPTY parking lot, yet you have to park right next to me. As I'm loading stuff in my car, you have to blow your horn so I move out of your way. REALLY?? WTH!!!

Nov '16

Botheredbyuu2

That was me. Sorry about that. I always park too close to everyone as I like to see the reaction. Yours was good. Keep up the good work.

not sack
Nov '16

Lol not sack

Nov '16

If your kid goes to Rutgers, get your money back. Stupid people. There for a swim meet. Parking attendants right by the pool don't even know where the designated parking lot is. Can't you be taught simple instructions? Go to the end of this road and make a right. Lot is a short distance on your left. Lot A. Very simple a-holes. Not go right. Then left, then right, then right. Umm, that brings me back to a lot that's only football parking.

maja2 maja2
Nov '16

I try not to let much bother me but yesterday was just to much! Byram shoprite, TWICE this week, the cashiers (two different) were not going to take change after they punched in what I gave them because they could NOT figure how what my change would be.

Have they stopped teaching addition in school all together?????

Total change would have been 49.57
I gave him 3 cents so he could give me 49.60........but because he could not ADD he was refusing to take the change.......OMG please teach the kids to add...........

littlelu littlelu
Nov '16

Wait- what?!?! I sincerely hope your next stop was customer service

skippy skippy
Nov '16

Ist time I went to customer service. Second time I had him call over the front end manager.......she was of no help. Said that they don't allow the cashiers to accept the money after they put it in the register..........because it's to hard for them to figure the correct change.......can you imagine!!!!

Guess the store figures it's easier to tell the cashiers not to accept money afterwards then to make sure they can ADD...... crazy.

littlelu littlelu
Nov '16

Try paying with a CC to avoid the hassle...

Excuses aren't solutions

justintime justintime
Nov '16

I'll occasionally pull out some pocket change to get an even dollar back, but it never occurred to me to root through my pocket for three pennies in order to get a dime back, lol.

That's of course completely irrelevant to the fact that someone entrusted with the title of "cashier" should be able to perform simple monetary arithmetic in their head... but it just struck me as odd (-;

Also, if I were standing behind you in line when this situation went down, I would have been on this thread myself, ripping YOU a new one, lol. Why didn't you give him the extra $0.03 originally? Couldn't you do the math in your head to realize that you were three cents short of a dime before the register spit out what your change from the transaction was?

ianimal ianimal
Nov '16

Oh ianimal........title of the thread is a venting thread.........one is allowed to vent without having to explain everything to you........but since you asked so nicely.....

My bills are in one place.....which I handed to him first....my coin in another, no NOT rooting though my purse, just in another spot. Kid rang in dollars before I handed him the change.

AND I think how someone chooses to pay is neither her nor there, the point is young adults can add!

Also being the SECOND time in one week is what prompted me to take it further then it might have warrented.

Feel free to vent away when you get behind someone who wishes to use up their pennies and know that I won't bust your chops about it..........THAT is what the thread is about.... ;)

littlelu littlelu
Nov '16

Nothing should be taken as granted on this forum...

"Feel free to vent away when you get behind someone who wishes to use up their pennies and know that I won't bust your chops about it..........THAT is what the thread is about.... ;)"

Will do. Thanks for being so polite (-;

And just as an aside, there are plenty of scams out there where grifters will try to pull a fast one on cashiers during the dispensing change process to steal $10 or $20 from them. Now, obviously, this wasn't the case here, but MIGHT be the reason for the policy of stores not allowing customers to "up-change" after the amount has been entered into the register. But that's just speculation on my part...

ianimal ianimal
Nov '16

I have heard of those scams happening during the busy holiday season........very well could be the reason.....

littlelu littlelu
Nov '16

I didn't know it at the time but As a teen aged cashier I didn't fall for the change/break a large bill scam. I found out a few days later when my manager alerted us to it. Lucky me I could add.

Roywhite Roywhite
Nov '16

The number of eyes staring out of the woods at me when I walk the dogs after dark is not to be believed. I'm not sure most reasonable people would keep walking along...

Rebecka Rebecka
Nov '16

My vent: When people use improper grammar and spelling while impugning someone else's intelligence and lack of ability.

weebiekins weebiekins
Nov '16

I demand to know who is making the decisions over there at Pantone.

Rebecka Rebecka
Dec '16

Why do companies have shipping policies on their websites if they aren't going to adhere to them AT ALL?! Suddenly 5-7 business days means 8-12 (which is always 12).

You're on my list, GAP.

Tracy Tracy
Dec '16

Rebecka- Perhaps Kermit the Frog this year! LOL

Frankie and Louie, the Budweiser chameleons?? ;-)

Or maybe they just threw a dart at a color wheel?

Rebecka Rebecka
Dec '16

Aleppo burns and it's Trump-ad-nauseum on all the National news shows. Do the news outlets think the American public does not care? Do we not care?! What about Syria? What about Myanmar? Are we so small-minded and black-and-white that we can no longer see past our navels and the simplified, media-constructed "right-vs-left" battle?

Rebecka Rebecka
Dec '16

Rebecka. They world is looking at us. We are the show right now.

Old Gent Old Gent
Dec '16

I agree Rebecka. I feel like the world has basically left Anne Frank in the attic once again.

maja2 maja2
Dec '16

The MSM is beyond rediculous at the moment

skippy skippy
Dec '16

Staples, AGAIN! ! 2 days in a row couldn't get a FAX to go through. Old machine. New machine. Me doing it. They doing it. EVERYTHING TIME I GO THERE, THIS HAPPENS.
Never again! Going to UPS today.

Oh and people who go shopping and find it OK to open packages and leave them laying on shelf, without putting item back in package. Knocking clothes off hanger and NOT picking them up. I actually witnessed a woman knock a blouse on floor, look down at it and then slowly kick it with her foot, out of her way. WTH! . My #1 pet peeves.
RUDENESS, IGNORANTS AND GRANDIOSITY.

Dec '16

Omg, I once had this friend who was at a table of shirts folded all neatly and she looked through a bunch of them. She just dropped each one all messed up back onto the table. I said to her why don't you at least try to fold them up? She said they pay people here to do that. I mean I she was right but I was still appalled because it seemed like she was purposely messing up more than necessary.

The retail worker and food server is the last safe class to abuse due to the fact that an "apology culture" has sprung up. Next time you go to the store or better yet get Starbucks - be cognizant of how many times they say "sorry" - my record is 3 in one transaction. The stores train them that way to literally be submissive doormats. Google retail apology culture - it really is a thing

skippy skippy
Dec '16

I think every human being should have to work retail and/or food service at least once in their life. It makes you appreciate the hard work that goes into the job, and it makes you less likely to be a complete boorish slob when you are out in public.

Tracy Tracy
Dec '16

I went to the cleaners to get some pants re-hem. When I got the I checked them and it had long strings, like she forgot to cut them after finishing the sewing. I looked and say look at this, and she gave me a dirty look and said "don't pull them the whole thing will break" (it shouldn't, right?)
I said , I was going to ask you for scissors. She gave me another bad look and made a noise with her mouth and went to get scissors. She then finished what she was supposed to do anyways..I even asked her if she was OK.

Now I need to go somewhere else.
I always have said when customers have choices you should appreciate them. Appreciation is much more that just a "Thanks for your business" on the hangers.

BrownEyesGuy BrownEyesGuy
Dec '16

+ 100000 Tracy.

Skippy - we are not trained to be submissive. 100% wrong.

RAS- hate to say it but your friend is ignorant. She sounds like the type that would s*it in the toilet before the house cleaners came and leave it there for them to flush. SMH!! I just don't understand some people's mentality.

And let me add, when you are at the register, checking out, GET THE HELL OFF YOUR CELL PHONE!!! Unbelievably RUDE!.
Had an associate last night say to the customer, how are you tonight ? NO RESPONSE! Told her the amount, she paid, he said thank you, have a nice night. NO RESPONSE!! Kept blabbing on the phone.
COME ON PEOPLE!!!!!

Dec '16

BBU see the SBUX LATTE Method

https://www.americanexpress.com/us/small-business/openforum/articles/draft-apology-post/

http://valuesdrivenresults.com/training-for-emotional-intelligence-at-starbucks/

there is a big push to be immediately responsive to any perceived slight - as I stated previously retail workers are quite often treated poorly because there are no repercussions for what often amounts to abominable behavior.

skippy skippy
Dec '16

Headlights! Seriously, people! It's freaking pitch black dark outside. How the hell are you driving around with NO LIGHTS ON?! This is something I'm seeing almost every single day on my way home from work.

Tracy Tracy
Dec '16

Omg, yes Tracy! We must have seen the same idgjut yesterday. It wasn't even like it was dusk and you could still see or they drove out of a lighted parking lot. It had to be obvious that their lights weren't on. And nobody was home either apparently! I see this EVERY day at least once. Don't people realize it's about being seen and not just to see?

Then again, more and more businesses are "dumbing down" their talent through the hiring of stupid people who just don't get it, shouldn't be working with people or both. And then the business doesn't train them.....

A month ago, I needed a simple banking thing done. Needed it that day because it takes the two of us to complete and we are available. Call the bank, ask for manager. Manager in meeting all day. They ask the problem, I explain in detail. They tell me only the manager can help making me feel grand about losing the last seven minutes of my life explaining the issue. I have to ask for alternatives, it's not a concept they apparently grasp. They mention second H-town bank. Call. Manager is in same meeting....it's "regional." I ask for alternatives again figuring it's just a training issue.

They say it's better if I just come in tomorrow and ask for manager. I am now starting to get a bit testy given I am the trainer or supervisor. I ask for appointment. They say it's better if I just come in given the manager's schedule. I humbly say, you mean I should just come in to have today's experience face-to-face? That's the process? They say huh? I say, well, do you think perhaps, just perhaps, that I should at least call first to see if the manager is in a meeting? Long pause...... They say, sure, that would be a good thing..... Glad they have their process down....

Turns out the "region" ends at the Southern H-town line and the Washington manager is present, accounted for, and actually can set an appointment time, and can handle my request immediately that day.... Apparently that's just not an option for the H-town banking mavens. It was beyond their pay grade to know that.

Where I come from, there is a chain of command and if the leader is gone, they appoint their delegate whose sole purpose is to know how to get things done given the absence. Business 101 especially for a larger, multi-site, concern.

I did not lose it but I really think I was in my rights to do so given the combined stupidity and lack of training for this associate. And while I will use the last branch I went to, good excuse to dine at Jaunitos, it turns out the bank really has no metrics to highlight such things. Employees are incented on very little that has to do with the bottom line. They don't care if you deposit or not, they are not "graded" or compensated on that. To the associate at this firm, having your business or not is a personal thing, not a thing trained for or measured by the bank (until it's time for downsizing....)

Oh yeah, the next guy behind me had his account hacked by someone printing blank checks for his account, had to start new account, and needed a bunch of things, at minimum a notary authorizing auto transfers to his new account. It was his third branch and he was really rightfully tee'd off and losing it. Apparently he was from H-town...... It was end of day, couldn't fit him in, and they went passive to calm him to set meeting for next day which just was not going to work. When he said he could get by with just a notary, I suggested slipping in before us and all was well. Fastest notarization I have ever seen....

So two people, similar issues, one melted down, one did not, and for both --- relatively simple alternatives available to avoid confrontation in the first place if the associates had only known. Based on my experience I say this guy was due his melt down even if it was really not the Washington branch at issue. Top that off with some lack of common sense (just come in tomorrow is such a stupid thing to say) and there's the recipe for a good tongue lashing.

Dec '16

Banks really don't pay shi! now and there is no career opportunity, you expect too much SD...

Don't blame SD... blame the greed of the bank. They do not want to properly staff. They don't train or pay well, and they refuse to hire anyone over age 30...people with life experiences, which is very important to be able to help others with their life experience... in this case, a banking issue. Yes, there are very bright, young people working for banks, however, it's not the norm. The real talent knows to avoid "retail" type jobs... banking included. Most promotions are based on politics... not ability, depending on the place.

Dec '16

I agree Ijay; with the recession, the tightening on loans, the bank profit loss due to sub prime, the beginning of taxpayers paying interest to banks on excess reserves (instead of the banks using those reserves to grant loans) --- most major banks have chose to move us to paperless, self-service backed up by untrained, minimum wage employee support. Now if that employee is stupid, unknowing and/or surly, on top of untrained, you have a real recipe for customer dissatisfaction.

I mean think about it: here's a situation where you would think there would be commission on new deposits for the employee who brings in the cash. Or for those who retain the cash when withdrawal is a real option. Nope, no reward, no incentive, just regular pay no matter what you do. The customer facing side of this enterprise could care less how much money is actually in their bank. They gain nothing from a better bottom line.

Smaller regional banks can be better, especially if they escaped the sub prime debacle and don't have that profit taker hanging over them. But the big banks really just want to get us down to using that Bank of America kiosk next to the dumpster at the Family Food Market.

That's why at my leisure I will be removing all accounts from this bank and moving them to Ally, Fidelity, and other financial institutions that still believe in superior customer service. They have no brick n mortar and still do a better job at customer service for customer facing actions than WestBoA, WFargone, Chasemeaway and the other big banks. And pay more interest too. Then I use a regional, M&T, Hope, whatever, for checking. Might be adding Voya to the Ally army once I review them a bit more. I like orange (except for hair :>)

What the big banks have missed in all this, is that they have made their goods and services a commodity striving to stamp out any form of customer loyalty. It's just like buying soap now. Really, the only "sticky" account is your primary checking if you have auto pay and auto deposit set up, and that's really not that hard to move either. 75% of the assets left that bank that day, only a dwindling checking remains until I am sure I have killed all the auto-stuff.

Dec '16

To the person who damaged my brand new car just now in the Walmart parking lot: thanks a million. I really hope you were caught on camera. The police WILL check. You could have at the very least done the right thing and left a note.

Rebecka Rebecka
Dec '16

Lets hope this lady changes her tune, especially this time of year.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/12/22/us/mall-racist-rant-trnd/index.html

Roywhite Roywhite
Dec '16

That stinks Rebecka. Hopefully the damage is not too bad - had my new car dinged by a door/cart in the Target lot. 'Tis the season I guess.

@Roy - she won't but what was disappointing was that no one else said anything.

My next job come the new year will NOT, LET ME REPEAT, NOT, BE RETAIL!

Dec '16

So, this past Monday I sent an email to the town clerk, (independence), to say I would be stopping by on Friday to get some certified copies from them. I checked the website for their hours and it says 8-4 Mon-Fri, which shocked me cause I was expecting 11-2 or something like that. NO response from my email. Okay fine, it was just a heads up anyway in case they were busy and wanted to prepare the certificates ahead of time. Becausr of my work hours I couldn't get there when they were open so I took the day off. Go there just now and they are CLOSED! WTF, you couldn't email me back? You couldn't update the damn website? Aaaarrrrggghhh!

Roywhite, if the hispanic lady did cut in line then she deserved it. If not, it was a true travesty...

"Roywhite, if the hispanic lady did cut in line then she deserved it. If not, it was a true travesty..."

NO iJay. No one deserves that. Especially just for cutting in.

Worse yet:
what if she had an emergency, was sick, was not fluent in English, and just had to get out of there. More rude to drop your stuff and run OR cut in line?

What if she was new here and following the normal customs of her land? I mean in my youth, butting in the ski line seemed to be pretty OK in Canada....at least where I was.

Point is there might have even been a reason she butted in, you never know. Even if not, responding in a hate-speak manner, is always wrong. Heck, we don't even know if she started politely or just blew her fuse from the get go.

Dec '16

"Deserve" to be taken loosely. When you play with fire (i.e. cutting in line) sometimes you get burned...

I believe, according to one report, the person the hateful words are directed at just added an item to her friends purchase already in the front of the line. 1 additional item, even if she did cut the line thats really not the way to handle it.

Roywhite Roywhite
Dec '16

Hi Ras,

My suggestion (and I do Not suggest this in a mean or nasty or accusatory way) is to contact Mayor Girodano After Christmas, and let him know. Perhaps the website needs updating.

MrsPipes MrsPipes
Dec '16

Item added and paid for by the same means doesn't count as cutting in line; asking for separate payments would be...

Thanks MrsPipes. I don't want to hassle anyone. I know they're very nice ladies that work there. I will try again next week.

You'll shoot ur eye out kid....

Roywhite Roywhite
Dec '16

Stranger danger
What if the entire event was staged for facebook?..nah.never in a million years

Bug3
Dec '16

Drone lasted a whole four hours........now it sits 50+ feet up in a neighbors tree......:( My poor kid, is so sad........was all he wanted for Christmas. Hard lesson learned, DONT fly these things anywhere near trees.

littlelu littlelu
Dec '16

That happened to us last year. Never got it back. :(

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Dec '16

I just googled "my drone is stuck in a tree" because I have that kind of time, LOL and found some funny stuff out there.

It is a bummer for sure. Good luck.

They are not giving up on it. lol They are going to try a couple of pvc? pipes put together and see if they can knock it out. I think it's too high, but my husband and son are determined to try and get it down.

Thank goodness we didnt get him one of the very expensive ones, but shoot I hate throwing away any kind of money.

littlelu littlelu
Dec '16

Maybe the volunteer fire department would help

skippy skippy
Dec '16

Significant Donation should be offered to the fire department...people need to show accountability for their actions....it costs money to run and maintain that equipment .

I myself would prefer it be available to fight a fire vs. getting something out of a tree .

Steven Steven
Dec '16

Business idea.... Drone recovery .

PREDATOR PREDATOR
Dec '16

RAS,

Not sure what happened but I do know that the sister of the clerk passed away last week and the funeral was toward the end of the week. And, the brother of one of the councilmen also died. All that work at our township offices are great people so I hope you make out better this week. Remember, it's also a holiday on top of these issues.

Magpie Magpie
Dec '16

Of course you donate and the firefighters would clearly stop messing with something in a tree and respond to a fire

skippy skippy
Dec '16

In addition if a volunteer unit was asked to assist, it would be scheduled not a "on demand" type call. That way the proper procedures for the department could be implemented. And naturally donations are always welcome.

Yup, I kinda figured that Magpie. I was just frustrated at the moment. And I've dealt with at least two different clerks in the past and they were very helpful and professional. I hope they are okay.

OMG I would never consider calling the local fire department over a drone in a tree. :)

That said, I would consider hiring PREDATOR. ;) You'd have to be pretty cheap though, the drone only ran us 50 bucks. lol

littlelu littlelu
Dec '16

Perhaps another drone can free it...

http://www.droneflyers.com/2013/02/getting-your-drone-out-of-the-tree/
heres an article that may help

skippy skippy
Dec '16

Thanks skippy. My husband and son bought some kind of pipe, I think small PVC pipe, at Home Depot and are going to tape them together to see if the can knock it out. This tree has got to be the highest and thickest tree around. There is NO shaking it out! lol My husbands in construction and has very large ladders and with the tallest opened up he still would not come close to being able to reach it. It is probably 10ft or more out from the main tree, so even if he were able to get that high, which I doubt, he would not be able to reach out to it......

If these poles don't work, we will have to just wait and see if mother nature can blow it out. lol

littlelu littlelu
Dec '16

Just makes me remember having to wait till spring when my dad cleaned the gutter to get half my toys back

skippy skippy
Dec '16

If you are planning to wait until Mother Nature blows it, try a leaf blower. Get your husband on a tallest ladder and direct a blow toward drone. Take a video, put on Internet, May be you can at least get enough money from the movie to replace a drone.

Just be sure to let the emergency room know you'll be there soon!

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Dec '16

Buy a second drone and attach a few hooks to it. Hover and snag drone 1. Bring both down. Return drone 2 for refund. Or rent it to Amazon.

Yankeefan Yankeefan
Dec '16

Take ladder safety seriously! Weigh the cost of a drone vs that of a fall.

justintime justintime
Dec '16

I freakin want a cigarette.

Rebecka Rebecka
Dec '16

Gum buddy gum

skippy skippy
Dec '16

Love the suggestions........and you're right, justintime, we are not going to risk life and/or limb (lol) for this toy......if the poles don't work we are going to leave (lol) it up to Mother Nature.

littlelu littlelu
Dec '16

Get a chimpanzee

Nothing like having the hood on your car fly open and completely cover the windshield while traveling at 50 MPH in the rain at night on a rural stretch of RT 46. The topper was I actually got the hood bent back down and secured only to discover both windshield wiper arms were also broken off. Interesting drive home hanging my arm out of the window wiping the windshield with the broken wiper blade. Surprisingly, the windshield itself is not broken. I'm glad there was no one behind me as I navigated to the side of the road though. Fun stuff....

Greg, several years ago, driving back from Md. on I-95 near Philly, the hood of my car popped up. I had to look through the hood opening at the bottom of the windshield to maneuver the car to the side of the highway. I still don't know how I did it with all the traffic on that highway.

Actually, I think ajh is on the right track. Maybe it should've been called a "Trunk Chimp", but "Trunk Monkey" rolls off the tongue better. One of the best marketing campaigns ever IMHO! They just need to roll out the "Drone Recovery Trunk Monkey" or the "Gutter Cleaning Trunk Monkey" ads. But then again, that may be options that come with your basic "Trunk Monkey":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTXu-LlkyS8&list=PLoxADsZ9YforxtjWODy3Kz_8JjLH-Nxp7&index=18

Also available at the Suburban Auto Group's home page:

https://www.suburbanautogroup.com/trunk-monkey-videos/

Phil D. Phil D.
Jan '17

grrrrrrrrrr Setting my "pitty potty party" timer for 2 minutes.

I am sick of doing for everyone.......and giving to everyone........taking care of everyone!

But when it's my turn I don't get squat. No one wants to do for me, or give to me, or care for me..........grrrrrrrr

ahhhhhh ok timer went off...I feel so much better now!

Wow I sound like such a whiner!

littlelu littlelu
Jan '17

well, those resolutions didn't last too long did they? found this on a faithbook site:

My goal for 2016 was to lose just 10 pounds ... Only 15 to go.

Ate salad for dinner! Mostly croutons & tomato sauce. Really just one big, round crouton covered with tomato sauce. And cheese. FINE, it was a pizza. I ate a pizza.

How to prepare Tofu:
1. Throw it in the trash.
2. Grill some Meat.

I just did a week's worth of cardio after walking into a spider web.

I don't mean to brag but......I finished my 14-day diet in 3 hours and 20 minutes.

A recent study has found that women who carry a little extra weight live longer than men who mention it.

Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel, then walk 9 feet through shag carpet back to my couch.

Senility has been a smooth transition for me.

Remember back when we were kids and every time it was below zero out they closed school? ... Me neither.

I may not be that funny or athletic or good looking or smart or talented ... I forgot where I was going with this.

I love being over 65. I learn something new every day ... and forget 5 others.

A thief broke into my house last night ... He started searching for money so I woke up and searched with him.

I think I'll just put an "Out of Order" sticker on my forehead and call it a day.

BrotherDog BrotherDog
Jan '17

Not a vent but wanted to share......the DRONE IS DOWN!

Video was neat to watch...now we're just charging it. Will see if it to see if it still works tomorrow when we bring it to a big open field to fly it. lol

littlelu littlelu
Jan '17

people who think everyone on one side or the other is doing what a small number are doing - hey I'm far left - I don't condone violence and destruction by anyone.............don't put me in a group I don't belong in

4catmom 4catmom
Jan '17

Sorry if we made you feel that way 4cat - bet I'm more left than you lol

Glad your drone is down

skippy skippy
Jan '17

littlelu - You're going to need a bigger field. ;-)

How did you get it down

skippy skippy
Jan '17

The owners had a tree service there yesterday cutting down branches way up high. When I saw them I headed over and sure enough they already had it down!

Yes GC we need a HUGE empty field. :)

littlelu littlelu
Jan '17

I think Rebecca flys hers near the airport somehow

skippy skippy
Jan '17

If you are speaking of me, Skippy, I have specifically recommended on this forum that people do NOT fly their drones near the airport. Not only is it illegal, it is dangerous for those who are taking off and landing airplanes there.

http://www.hackettstownlife.com/forum/724866

Rebecka Rebecka
Jan '17

Ah ok I was wrong sorry

skippy skippy
Jan '17

Littlelu - with all due apologies to him, have you considered a trip to....

MONTANA???

;-)

I got him a ticket already GC! ;)

littlelu littlelu
Jan '17

Uh oh, sounds like it's a ticket to Château Bow-wow. And a one way ticket at that. ;-)

the ridiculously broad generalizations people make on this forum - lumping huge groups together without any real knowledge of the individuals in those groups - often known as stereotyping..............

4catmom 4catmom
Jan '17

So true 4catmom....

I'd rather take a pointed stick to the eye rather than read some of the back and forth dribble typically amounting to sheer absurdity.

Agreed. Also, the nerve of some posters telling you what you're thinking and or feeling. I mean, who the heck are you? Does anyone really think we're all defined by a post on HL? Are we all so one dimensional? I think not.

If that was meant for me RAS you're more than welcome to share it in the offending thread. My intention wasn't to offend but offer my perspective, my apologies if that's the case.

justintime justintime
Jan '17

It's like a big pissing contest for some. It gets tiring and as much as you enjoy some people here, you now only peek in occasionally.

Bessie Bessie
Jan '17

Thanks JIT. I don't know if it was you but it's certainly more than one. I appreciate the apology though.

New thread.

http://www.hackettstownlife.com/forum/778380

Jan '17

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.