2016 MLB Season

Pitchers and Catchers report today. Happy Spring Training!

Metsman Metsman
Feb '16

LET'S GO METS!!!

HHS fan HHS fan
Feb '16

Can't believe the Nationals are picked to win the division... I like this years Mets team better than last years.

Metsman Metsman
Feb '16

My guess is that Nats were a WS favorite last year, didn't play up to their expectations
and are expected to this year. I hope not, but they are a threat. LETS GO METS

Clyde Potts Clyde Potts
Feb '16

Don't count out the Pirates, Clyde. If they can make it past the Card's the Met's won't have a chance. Lol

Hot corner Hot corner
Feb '16

Obviously Metsman has forgotten that the Nats signed Daniel Murphy in the offseason (-;

I'd say the NL East is definitely a toss-up between those two teams. I think it'll come down to whomever stays healthier (in my Captain Obvious opinion of the day).

The Pirates, Cubs and Cardinals should make the NL Central race really interesting once again.

ianimal ianimal
Feb '16

I'm thinking of boycotting baseball this year since I won't be able to watch any Yankees games. Waaaaah!

Calico696 Calico696
Feb '16

Who would want to watch the Yankees anyway :)

Hot corner Hot corner
Feb '16

Don't count out the Pirates, Clyde. If they can make it past the Card's the Met's won't have a chance. Lol

Hot corner

Not counting anyone out. Just answering why Nats are favorites. Keep eye on Cubs.

Calico, the Yankee Network will be back once baseball starts. Fans were not up in arms because it was off season. Now we will hear the outcry and the YES Net will be back in due time. Didn't this happen about 2 years ago with another cable company?

Clyde Potts Clyde Potts
Feb '16

Who would want to watch the Yankees anyway :)

Hot corner

HEY! I happen to like Minor League Baseball lol

Clyde Potts Clyde Potts
Feb '16

Clyde- the year of the goat was last year. It is now the year of the monkey, so..... the Cubbies run is over. At least I hope it is ;)

Hot corner Hot corner
Feb '16

IDK Clyde, I've only every had Comcast. I hope you are right and I hope my rates don't increase 50% to get it back. Sigh....

Calico696 Calico696
Feb '16

Unless something goes terribly wrong, the Mets should win 95 games and make the playoffs. Tough to predict playoff results, because the teams could look a lot different by then, like last year's Mets..

Yankees have assembled some kind of scary bullpen.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Feb '16

I don't know what some of these writers are smoking. Who's playing 3B and SS for the Nationals? Desmond is a free agent. Are they honestly counting on Stephen Drew to play SS or 3B? LOL... Guy hit .201 for the Yankees last year. Maybe Murphy is playing 3B. That's his natural position. But just look at the lineup. The only guy who scares you is Harper.

The Mets will have a healthy lead in the division. They may have lost Murphy but they get full years from Cespedes and Conforto. Walker is also ranked the 7th best 2B in MLB. So they're not missing a beat losing Murphy. The only cause for concern is the bullpen in the 7th or 8th inning. Hopefully the guys they brought in like Bastardo will get the job done.

Metsman Metsman
Feb '16

Bastardo was an IronPig. They are everywhere.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Feb '16

The Pirate's announced today that they are bringing back the 1979 pill box hat!!!!

We are family!!!!!

:) :) :)

Hot corner Hot corner
Feb '16

I always liked how Willie Stargell "windmilled" - twirled the bat.

truth
Feb '16

In 1976 all the original NL teams wore those pill box hats, to celebrate the 100th anniversary of the National League.

The Pirates kept using them the next four years. That was pretty cool.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Feb '16

You guys are probably too young to remember Willie Montanez.

Here is the San Diego Chicken's "tribute" to baseball's ultimate hot dog.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=37gtK5I6OnI

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Feb '16

Wasn't that Dave Parker watching the ball go over the fence? Andy? Lol

Hot corner Hot corner
Feb '16

You guys are probably too young to remember Willie Montanez.

Andy Loigu

Remember him well (not young thats why)
On base hits as he ran to first, he would point at the ball as hit hit the outfield grass

Clyde Potts Clyde Potts
Feb '16

Clyde, why don't you and Andy tell us all about the time you saw Honus Wagner hit for the cycle (-;

ianimal ianimal
Feb '16

Were you guys at the last World Series the Cubs played in? LOL...

Metsman Metsman
Feb '16

No, but I've been at six the Orioles played in, and in the process got to see the Pirates win it twice.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Feb '16

Clyde, why don't you and Andy tell us all about the time you saw Honus Wagner hit for the cycle (-;

ianimal

Its was a HOT August evening, the crowd..................

Clyde Potts Clyde Potts
Feb '16

Are you guys doing the opening day lunch meet-up this year?

Calico696 Calico696
Mar '16

Not sure yet... hopefully. Especially since for me it's on MNJ's dime, lol. Thank you to the Yankees for choking down the stretch (-;

ianimal ianimal
Mar '16

Last year the O's opened on the road, so I had an opportunity to meet MNJ and ianimal in person, live and in color, for the first time.

This year the O's open at home on April 4, a Monday, against the Twins. Since graduating high school, I've been at 46 O's home openers, including the Camden Yards opener against Cleveland in 92.

Out of the six times the O's won the American League pennant, 1970 against Minnesota was the only time they clinched it at home... something only an O's fan my age would remember.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Mar '16

Ha, I think I'm going to be very busy at work on opening day. In fact, count on it.

MeisterNJ MeisterNJ
Mar '16

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2619749-aroldis-chapman-suspended-30-games-by-mlb-latest-details-comments-and-reaction?utm_source=cnn.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=editorial

Sorry but this is an overreach by MLB. The Florida authorities declined to charge him, probably because of lack of evidence, yet MLB has evidence to warrant a suspension? So what now? If you are a player and some wacko girlfriend accuses you of nonsense then you get suspended?! I applaud him for taking one for the team and not making a circus out of it, but give me a break... Unless you're actually convicted in a court of law you shouldn't be suspended.

Metsman Metsman
Mar '16

Yep, sounds like an over-reaction by MLB to me.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Mar '16

The way I heard it on ESPN, Chapman agreed to take the 30-game suspension rather than fight for his reputation.

It came down to money, with a 30-game suspension he can still be a free agent at the end of the season. A longer suspension would have meant another season before he gets free agency.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Mar '16

Quote from my co-worker, a Bosox fan: "Watching Hanley Ramirez play first base is a lot like watching a grizzly bear try to catch salmon."

ianimal ianimal
Mar '16

He's fallen off a cliff. He's a shell of his former self.

Metsman Metsman
Mar '16

Aroldis Chapman emptied his gun in his garage in anger about an argument with his live in girlfriend. Since he didn't aim the gun at his girlfriend or destroy anyone else's property the weapon friendly state of Florida did not charge him. He admitted this in a statement that MLB used to make him an example of behavior acceptable to the standards put forth this year. I don't think it was an overreaction and domestic violence by athletes seems to be in the news every other day. I am a die hard Yankee fan and find no joy in this situation but do not feel his behavior was acceptable.

What's next though MK? You punch a wall you get suspended? I think shooting a gun was dumb but should he lose millions for it? I don't think so.

Metsman Metsman
Mar '16

I don't get you Metsman, unloading a full clip the same as punching a wall? I think the lesson for other players was the object and I don't think he will be wounded in the long run at the money loss since free agency is coming up. Someone had to be first and the punishment severe enough to be a warning to other players.

Metsman did not say they were the same thing.

This sort of misreading of statements goes on all the time here.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Mar '16

MeisterNJ and I will be meeting up at Cryan's in Annandale (formerly known as Miller's Tavern) to watch a little Opening Day baseball on Monday if anyone wants to join us.

Houston at the Yankees is Game 1, probable starters Keuchel and Tanaka. First pitch 1pm.

ianimal ianimal
Mar '16

The Yankees??? People still watch them play? ;)

Hot corner Hot corner
Mar '16

I should be able to make it. Will know for certain by the weekend.

Calico696 Calico696
Mar '16

That's funny how both the Mets and Yankees are opening against the teams that beat them in October.

Metsman Metsman
Mar '16

Yes Hotcorner, no one watches the Yankess anymore. That's why the YES Network is worth more than the entire Mets franchise.

MeisterNJ MeisterNJ
Mar '16

...Yankees.

MeisterNJ MeisterNJ
Mar '16

I believe the YES Network is also worth more than the entire Yankees franchise... but there are 900,000 Comcast subscribers who won't be able to watch any more.

p.s. I think Hot Corner is a brother yinzer, not a Mets fan (-;

ianimal ianimal
Mar '16

Born and raised and will never change :) Steelers, Pens, or Bucco's take your pick!

Under paid and underprivalged. .....just like me!

Hot corner Hot corner
Mar '16

I will be there Monday for opening day! See you guys then.

Calico696 Calico696
Apr '16

The Cards at PIrates in about an hour. HERE WE GO! :)

Hot corner Hot corner
Apr '16

Pirates win the first game 4-1.

Good luck to the Mess tonight!

Opps (mets) ;)

Hot corner Hot corner
Apr '16

The Yanks rainout has kind of thrown a monkey wrench into the works. The first game doesn't now start until 2:10 and that game isn't broadcast on ESPN, so we would need to find a bar with the MLBEI package in order to watch it (not sure if Cryan's has it or not and I doubt there is anyone there to call and ask now).

The first ESPN game is Seattle/Texas at 4pm and that's the time I need to leave...

ianimal ianimal
Apr '16

I'm trying to find a bar in the general area of Cryan's with the MLB package.

Calico696 Calico696
Apr '16

Great seeing ianimal and MeisterNJ today. Good times.

Calico696 Calico696
Apr '16

Yes, good time. Debt paid too.

MeisterNJ MeisterNJ
Apr '16

A couple of long rain delays and it was windy, too, but the O's get the walk-off win.

I was expecting "The Flower Girl" to come dancing by (old-timer humor there).

JJ Hardy lost a homer to the wind ... they must have been showing replays of it everywhere .... an old-timer said he was at the game when the wind took one away from Maris that way back in 1961... the commissioner said Maris needed to break Babe's record in 154 games "to count" and game 154 happened to be in Babe's home town ... in the movie "61" they said it was the ghost of the Babe blowing it back.

Despite the wind and the rain, the season is off to a good start.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Apr '16

You are a scholar and a gentleman, MNJ. Thanks for the wings and liquid refreshment. Or should I thank the Metsies, who ironically finally came through for me after I stopped being a fan, lol.

Great to see Calico again, too... it had been a while. The company and the conversation was a lot better than the baseball, quite frankly.

ianimal ianimal
Apr '16

The O's are 2-0.

1988 did not start out this well. The O's started out 0-21 that year and the whole world was calling them the zer-O's.

They were 14 games behind the Red Sox and it was still April. Yeesh.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Apr '16

Holy run scoring Yankees! 16 runs on 17 hits. Too bad I couldn't watch. &^%$#@ Comcast!

Calico696 Calico696
Apr '16

How many times did Suzyn Waldman go "oh my goodness, goodness gracious?" ...

Nothing like baseball on the radio.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Apr '16

Andy's O's and my Pirates are the only undefeated teams.

Who will choke first? Lol

It couldn't be a preview to the WS......could it? :)

Hot corner Hot corner
Apr '16

Pirates just choked :(

Hot corner Hot corner
Apr '16

The Orioles got rained out. They don't have the pitching they did in 71 or 79, the two times they faced the Pirates in the World Series. Both of those series ended with a game seven loss in Baltimore and I was there to see both of them.

After the O's won the first two games in 71, Clemente "did it all" to lead the Pirates' comeback. After the O's went up three games to one in 79, Stargell led the comeback with his powerful bat.... Pirates pitching also came up really big in the late games of both series.

Odd thing in O's history -- the three times they were favored to win the WS, when so many people thought they could not lose, they lost. The three times they were the underdogs in the WS, they won.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Apr '16

Six in a row for the O's.

Now that they got one on the road, maybe it is legit.

Time will tell. They still have a ways to go to match their 12-1 start of 1966, the year Baltimore DJs kept playing the Dave Clark Five's "Catch Us If You Can" on the radio.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Apr '16

Wow, it's been over a month since anyone posted in this thread?

Rougned Odor makes a bid to get traded from the Texas Rangers to the NEW YORK Rangers... if the kid can skate, sign him up.

http://screengrabber.deadspin.com/blue-jays-and-rangers-brawl-completely-ignore-game-1776771655

ianimal ianimal
May '16

Best punch I've seen since Larry Holmes.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
May '16

Kudos to Bautista for staying on his feet. That was a heck of a shot! They should have set up a boxing ring in center field.

Calico696 Calico696
May '16

lol. Bautista barely stayed on his feet. He didn't know what hit him. Bat flip didn't help him there.

The Rangers were crybabies for carrying that grudge for seven months.

Bautista got thrown at for being successful. I don't care how he flipped his bat. That was a thrilling game, I watched it on TV. So he showed some emotion? If you don't like bat flips, don't give up clutch home runs.

Also, Syndergaard throwing at the first hitter's noggin because the Royals won the first two games of the series. Anger at them for being successful. "Thor" will have to do a lot of community service and be as angelic as Mother Theresa if he ever wants me to like him again.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
May '16

Odor wasn't the one who threw at him. Joey Bats should have charged the mound if he was feeling frisky.

If someone tried to "Utley" me like Bautista did to Odor, I'd chin-check his ass too, then I'd spike him in the face when he was on the ground.

ianimal ianimal
May '16

"Bautista barely stayed on his feet."

Yes, but he didn't go down!

Calico696 Calico696
May '16

Answering a violent act (getting thrown at) with a vigilante violent act (a dirty slide) just perpetuates violence (a knuckle sandwich). We'll see how all the fines and suspensions from this all shake out.

Well, I suppose, in some perverse way, it was good for baseball. Got people on the national shows talking about it, anyway.

Meanwhile, I can picture Henry Fonda, on Golden Pond, looking at the standings in his morning paper and saying "Look at those GODDAM ORIOLES"...

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
May '16

Freddy Gonzalez probably had the best last 24 hours out of anyone in MLB. Yesterday, he was getting paid a lot of money to manage the woeful Atlanta Braves. Today he's getting paid the same amount NOT to manage that bunch of losers. The Buccos just hung a touchdown on them in the 1st inning. I'd say that's quite an improvement, lol

ianimal ianimal
May '16

It will be good for his blood pressure.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
May '16

Damn. Now the Bravos are starting to choke at lunch time...

http://deadspin.com/braves-erick-aybar-taken-to-doctor-after-swallowing-chi-1777658571

ianimal ianimal
May '16

Gregory Polanco's body type and swing arc reminds me of a young Daryl Strawberry. Who knows if he'll develop into that type of power hitter and hopefully he avoids the off-field issues that plagued DS, but he really triggers those memories of my youth, watching Straw hit those moon shots with that big loping swing...

ianimal ianimal
May '16

Wow, how about Murphy putting it to the Mets..... I love it!

Hot corner Hot corner
May '16

I've grown accustomed to the Pirates making bad trades, but this one was a whoopsie.

Hot corner Hot corner
May '16

Walker for Niese? Yeah... so far, so bad.

ianimal ianimal
May '16

Last fall, Murphy was looking like Frank Robinson.

Frank had his best year, his triple crown year, when he was 30. Lucky for the Orioles, it was his first year with them after Cincinnati traded him, saying he was "an old 30."

Some players figure it out as they get older, and it looks like Murphy is such a player.

There were rumors swirling around Baltimore for a few years that Murphy was going to become a bird and be their DH. Guess there are only so many times that a franchise gets lucky in obtaining undervalued players.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
May '16

Metsman, I can't find my broom; have you seen it? Something must be getting swept, somewhere.

Hot corner, Niese has been looking much better his last half dozen or so starts. He hasn't lost in a month. Hopefully, he can keep it going.

Jameson Taillon gets his first career start for the Buccos tomorrow. It's been a long time coming. He was drafted 2nd in 2010 between Bryce Harper and Manny Machado, 5 spots ahead of Matt Harvey and 36 spots ahead of Noah Syndergaard, who will be tossing the pill for the other side.

The Metsies are in a deep offensive funk; hopefully he keeps the foot on their throats...

ianimal ianimal
Jun '16

I'm going to have alot of fun today at work ;) lol

Niese is looking better but still not convinced.

Hot corner Hot corner
Jun '16

Niese has a good squad backing him up, that helps a lot.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Jun '16

Much better 2nd start for Jameson Taillon... 2 hits and a walk while striking out 5 over 8 shutout innings to pick up his first career win over the Metsies. His first start wasn't "terrible"; he gave up 3 earned over 6 innings and didn't factor in the decision... but he was sharp last night. Great location, changed speeds well, took a no-hitter into the 7th and was very economical with his pitches, needing only 91 to get through 8 innings. His next start is probably Saturday against the mighty Cubs in Wrigley though, hopefully the wind is blowing in, lol.

Now all the Pirates need to do is bring up Tyler Glasnow and send Nicasio to the pen (or to Indianapolis... that would work, too)

ianimal ianimal
Jun '16

They really are enjoying their sports in Pittsburgh these days.

O's recently swept a series with KC -- too bad they couldn't do that two Octobers ago. Manny Machado did not appreciate being thrown at ... some extracurricular activity there ....

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Jun '16

My Pirates are getting destroyed by the Mets tonight.
Pittsburgh needs to make some moves in the pitching department and get healthy quick, if they want to make a run this year.

Hot corner Hot corner
Jun '16

Actually heard on a broadcast ...

Sunday we're honoring all the fathers at the ballpark, and if you want to become a father, just call the ticket office.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Jun '16

Interesting article about how the baseball "system" the way it is now, where parents have to fork over big dollars to "showcase" their kids ... almost missed Cutch ... which would really have been bad for baseball. How many great black talents have been missed in recent years?

http://theundefeated.com/features/andrew-mccutchen-in-the-country-of-baseball/

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Jul '16

A outstanding article Andy, thank you for sharing!

Hot corner Hot corner
Jul '16

Nobody wished Metsman a Happy Bobby Bonilla day?

MeisterNJ MeisterNJ
Jul '16

Belated Bonny Bonilla day!

As for me, I celebrate July 3 ... it was the 20th anniversary of Alex Ochoa's major league cycle. He also got one at Tokyo Dome in 2004, only guy to ever do it on both continents.

The O's had Bonilla in 96 -- he put up numbers but was a pain in the rear -- a guy who could not field and really had no position, but he was publicly complaining about being a DH -- his act got old in Baltimore pretty fast.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Jul '16

Dig the typo ... Bonny Bonilla day.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Jul '16

I really really really hate the DH rule!

Just venting :)

Hot corner Hot corner
Jul '16

I'm no fan of it, either. I remember watching the Orioles play (and win a lot) without it.

In fact, Roric Harrison of the Orioles hit the last home run by an AL pitcher before the DH was put into place.

There's a trivia question for ya.

Dave McNally hit two World Series homers before the DH, including the only WS grand slam by a pitcher. Jim Palmer hit a lot of singles, and stole bases. Imagine a 20-game winner doing that today!

One of the funniest things I ever saw at a ballpark was when Norm Cash was playing 1st base for Detroit. Mike Cuellar hit a grounder right at him and did not want to run to first. Cash started acting like he was bobbling the ball, and then dropped it on the ground and acted like he couldn't find it. Cuellar then made a dash for the bag and Cash simply picked up the ball and danced on the bag. It was so funny.

You don't get stuff like that when there is a DH in the game.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Jul '16

September is approaching and the races are starting to heat up. The Mets have the easiest schedule remaining. Hopefully they can close their 2.5 game gap with the Cardinals for the second wild card. The division isn’t happening this year. Cespedes needs to stay on the field if they want to have any chance.

Metsman Metsman
Aug '16

I'll say the team that picks up Tim Tebow will take the championship! LMAO ;)

Hot corner Hot corner
Aug '16

I think it will be the Cubbies and KC in the series this year but you never know.

Hot corner Hot corner
Aug '16

KC is making their push. How about that Yankees revival after they traded off players and ditched A-Rod?

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Aug '16

The Buccos had a heartbreaking loss in what was the most entertaining game of the year that I've seen to date on Monday night.

They were facing Arietta, got down 3-0 eventually fought their way back and hung 6 runs on him and took a 3-run lead. Then their setup guy gave up a two-run homer in the 8th and the closer gave up a solo shot in the 9th to send it to extra innings.

Cervelli made a crazy tag on a 3-3-2 double play to tag out Baez who represented the winning run to end the 10th inning. He tagged him out again with another spectacular play on an absolute seed thrown by Starling Marte on a fairly deep fly ball to left to end the 12th. Then the Pirates loaded the bases with no one out in the 13th but could only manage one run. Jeff Locke, who had done yeoman's work in pitching three innings of relief had nothing left at this point and the Bucs had no one else in the bullpen. Cubs scored two runs before recording an out on three straight singles to tie the game, an intentional walk to load the bases and a game winning single by Montero.

It's only 1 out of 162, but some losses hurt a lot more than others. Then they got skunked last night 3-0 by Hendricks, et al. But they're still in it... tied with the Mets and only two games behind the Cardinals in the loss column. Bring on September...

ianimal ianimal
Aug '16

Tebow to the Mets! Guess they're looking to bump up the attendance in the ARI Fall League.

MeisterNJ MeisterNJ
Sep '16

Leave it to the Wilpons to sign this guy. Idiots...

Metsman Metsman
Sep '16

Lol. Thought for sure the Braves wanted him.

I guess the Mets need him more! Ha, ha, ha

Hot corner Hot corner
Sep '16

They need him so they can sell more merchandise because people would be dumb enough to buy a Tebow jersey...

Metsman Metsman
Sep '16

Bwahahahahahaha!

Calico696 Calico696
Sep '16

Well, they're already dumb enough to root for the Mets.....

MeisterNJ MeisterNJ
Sep '16

I suppose he'll be in the Arizona Fall League, but he does not belong there. That's supposed to be for fast track legitimate prospects who have excelled at the Double-A level.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Sep '16

The Arizona Fall League set up Alex Ochoa to be the answer to this trivia question ...
what professional athlete had Michael Jordan, Dion Sanders, and Ken Griffey Jr. for teammates in his career?

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Sep '16

Yeah cuz rooting for a playoff contender is shear lunacy right MeisterNJ...

Metsman Metsman
Sep '16

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/17538715/wally-backman-says-quit-new-york-mets-job-disrespect

Only the Mets front office is capable of this... They chased the wrong guy out of here. Terry Collins has cost them 2 out of the last 3 games.

Metsman Metsman
Sep '16

The Mets have stayed afloat in the NL wild card "race" with so many new guys coming up and making big contributions. You'd think Backman would get some respect for that, because he managed them in the minors, right?

The Mets, this year, could have done what the Orioles did in 1968, promote the Triple-A manager at a time the major league team is struggling to just stay above .500 ... that guy the O's promoted was named Earl Weaver. He's in the Hall of Fame now, and it certainly isn't for anything he did when he was a player.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Sep '16

Wally can't be controlled like Terry is. That's why he had no shot at ever managing the Mets.

The Cardinals and Giants are playing each other this weekend. Game 1 was yesterday. The Giants won and if the Mets can sweep their series and the Giants take care of business, then the Mets should have a good lead in the 2nd wild card spot. I'd probably prefer playing the Cardinals in a one game playoff, but Thor has been lights out lately. I like the Mets chances against either team.

Metsman Metsman
Sep '16

Wally can be controlled; just show him a lil Beaver (-;

ianimal ianimal
Sep '16

RIP Jose Fernandez. Baseball lost a great player.

Metsman Metsman
Sep '16

Definitely. Very sad. Such a good young person and talent.

MeisterNJ MeisterNJ
Sep '16

Don Mattingly could not hold back his tears in talking to the press about him.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Sep '16

I almost choked up during the pregame celebration last night. I hated watching him kick the Mets butt, but he was an amazing player.

Metsman Metsman
Sep '16

Dee Gordon's leadoff homer was amazing. For a contact hitter to put one in the upperdeck, his first of the season. He even admitted after the game that was the longest ball he ever hit, even during bp.

Spooky!

Please don't say Big Sexy served one up for him, because he didn't.

Hot corner Hot corner
Sep '16

Well you just explained the Jake Hall theory. Because a team left a ball over the plate and he hit it out, it isn't legit right.... LOL...

Metsman Metsman
Sep '16

So, what do you think? Will the Mets be one and done or do you think they can beat the Giants? ??

I have the Giants :)

Hot corner Hot corner
Oct '16

Going to be a great pitching matchup with Thor against Bumgarner. The Mets have the advantage if it goes to the bullpens tied.

Metsman Metsman
Oct '16

It's an even-numbered year. That means the Giants automatically win the World Series. I don't know why they're even bothering to play the games (-;

ianimal ianimal
Oct '16

We might be seeing this kid go in the 2017 draft if he has another monster high school season. A Marlins scout gave him a 4.5 out of 5 tools rating.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=19h-hbxAi9M&feature=share

Metsman Metsman
Oct '16

More home videos, Metsman? (-;

ianimal ianimal
Oct '16

Christ, I was kidding... really? LOL...

ianimal ianimal
Oct '16

Yes, I like to make videos of his at bats. He likes to watch them afterwards.

Really what? Did you even watch it?

Metsman Metsman
Oct '16

Did I click on the link to verify that you actually posted videos of your son in an MLB thread? Yes. Did I watch any more than that? No.

ianimal ianimal
Oct '16

Amazing batter, Metsman! I am going to show that to my DS. (he is only 9)

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Oct '16

Hall is a very good baseball player for sure! I have seen him play in person and watched Highlight Video. Really good arm strength with accuracy from outfield. And of course a great hitter who is smart and looks for his pitch. I wish him the best of luck! It is obvious that Metsman is a proud father and should be! Congratulations

LittleRascal LittleRascal
Oct '16

Well it's worth your time to watch ianimal!!! LOL

3wbdwnj hope he enjoys.

Metsman Metsman
Oct '16

Metsman, how old is your son?

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Oct '16

I'll watch later when I have more time... promise.

ianimal ianimal
Oct '16

He just turned 17 last month.

Metsman Metsman
Oct '16

Nice video! It would be cool to get drafted fresh out of school.
I personally would stay away from the Florida fish, they have a bad past when dealing with talent but thats just my opinion. ;)

I think Granderson along with Thor will have to come up big to beat the Giants.

Still hoping to see a Cubbies- Rangers WS.

Hot corner Hot corner
Oct '16

I want Cubbies-Indians, that way one will end a long suffering drought. Hoping it's the Cubbies year, love that Stadium they play in.

why are we talking about some high school kid in the MLB 2016 thread? get real.

Realist Realist
Oct '16

Sorry about your beloved birds Andy, thought they had them in the fourth. Time to sit back on the couch with the Pirates and soon to be Mets and watch some good baseball. :)

Hot corner Hot corner
Oct '16

An 11th inning walk off HR, now that there is exciting post season baseball. Not so much for the cursed Orioles.

Realist was it really necessary for you to come on and be negative? I just thought it would be cool to share my sons video that he put together with all the videos I took of him. He's put up big numbers this year in the Spring and Summer and has put himself on the MLB draft radar. The kid who beat him for the state HR lead this year went on to be drafted in the 5th round. It's an exciting time for him. Even if he isn't drafted out of high school, it's really cool that some scouts have watched and evaluated him.

Back to the topic... Let's go Mets! Drop the hammer tonight Thor!

Metsman Metsman
Oct '16

Good luck to your son, Metsman. Would be great to see another player from Htown make the show. Haven't been this excited about a prospect since I saw a guy who was All-Miami Area in high school playing in Double-A, a five-tool player named Alex Ochoa (yeesh, I had to go there....)

Season over for the O's ... lots of second guessing going on about Buck not using his closer who is a Cy Young candidate, when that game was tied in the late innings.
Well, I would have used Britton in the ninth and 10th, but, what the heck, they lost it in the 11th. They kept the Jays off the scoreboard in the 9th and 10th anyway. I remember that the great Mariano went three innings in the Aaron Boone game of 2003. If Mariano had weakened in his third inning, the second guessers would have said Torre left him in there too long ... that's baseball.

Whatever. Go Cubs.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Oct '16

LOL you couldn't resist an Ochoa reference...

The O's will win the year after they fire Showalter. He can't seem to manage well in the postseason.

Metsman Metsman
Oct '16

Sorry for your loss Andy, I was rooting for the O's last night. Maybe that's why they lost, lol...

ianimal ianimal
Oct '16

And the Mets join them.

MeisterNJ MeisterNJ
Oct '16

Well Thor dropped his hammer.......and it landed on his head.

I could only keep my eyes open thru 8, figures I would miss all the excitement.

I guess I'm getting to old to stay up late two nights in a row. Lol

Grab a seat Mets fans and enjoy the show!

Hot corner Hot corner
Oct '16

The Mets shot themselves in the foot only making Bumgarner throw 21 pitches through the first 3 innings. Thor did more than you could possibly ask of him. Familia is Benitez part deux….

Metsman Metsman
Oct '16

They made Madison throw 30 in the 4th and yes Thor did his part.

Hot corner Hot corner
Oct '16

Can't win a game when you don't score any runs

Classic pitchers dual last night between Bumgarner and Syndergaard! Thor was mowing down the Giants with ease. In a one game playoff I would have kept Thor out there on the mound as long as possible. His Pitch Count was 108 through 7 innings. What was Collins doing saving him for the next game? Thor was on a Roll and Collins should have left his Best pitcher in the game. Bruce Bochy left Bumgarner in and he totaled 118 pitches. Bochy knew that he was the guy to get it done. Collins over manages. What do you all think?

Oct '16

And if Collins left Thor in and he Giants scored a run you would be saying the opposite. Collins had everything work out to have his closer in in the 9th of a tie game and he blew it. What more do you want? Give the Giants credit rather than blaming the manager. Collins deserves no blame.

MeisterNJ MeisterNJ
Oct '16

Back in the 60s, a starter pitching a shutout never came out. They used to go 12, even 14 innings, in many games that I remember.

Old school.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Oct '16

I think Thor was done. Reed and Familia have been good all season. They have to get the job done. Bumgarner is more seasoned than Thor which is why it made sense to leave him in.

Metsman Metsman
Oct '16

I thought I'd heard it all.. I hadn't. Hair plug addiction?

http://www.si.com/tech-media/2016/10/06/

ianimal ianimal
Oct '16

Looking forward to next year...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=okXhAC78d4Q

broken link ianimal.

MeisterNJ MeisterNJ
Oct '16

Sorry... here you go.

http://www.si.com/tech-media/2016/10/06/joe-buck-fox-book-hair-plugs-surgery-voice

ianimal ianimal
Oct '16

Collins should have left Syndergaard in the game because he was pitching lights out!! My opinion meister and who knows what would have happened. If he is your best you stay with your best!

Oct '16

The Mets had no shot to win that game. The Giants would have gotten to Syndergaard eventually. If Collins would have left him in, he probably would have been up to 140 pitches by the time he got through the 9th inning, IF he got through the 9th inning... and the Mets still would have had zero runs on the board. The most he threw all year was 118.

ianimal ianimal
Oct '16

While it is nice to wax nostalgic over starters pitching as many as 14 innings in 0-0 games (managers never dared tell Bob Gibson to come out) ... if Syndergaard has never been asked to throw more than 110 pitches in a game, he would have been toast if he had stayed in any longer.

I've always thought if the eighth inning guy "has it" and posts the goose egg on the board, why not keep him in for the ninth, too? Weaver used to do that when he had relievers who would come into a game just once a week. Nobody with the regular roles of set up or closer.

I was saying that back in 93, after Mitch Williams gave up the Joe Carter home run. Why, oh why, did Fregosi bring him in?

By the way, Benitez blew big games as an Oriole, too. Just the mention of the name gives me agita.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Oct '16

I love it, Boston down 2, Texas down 2, only time will tell if I get my wish for a Cubs-Indians series. My only worry is the Giants streak with even year series wins LOL.

Cubs/Indians would be awesome!

Calico696 Calico696
Oct '16

Happier again today with the Cubs and Dodgers winning.

OMG can I change my picks to the Cubbies/Jays?

Looks like the Jays are taking BP against the Rangers can't watch much more, lol.

Hot corner Hot corner
Oct '16

I am hoping that Cleveland can stop the Jays, still want Indians\Cubs here.

Cubs Win!!! Barely. .....6 runs on 6 hits.... is the curse still looming? C'mon Man.

Hot corner Hot corner
Oct '16

Thank god the Giants are out. Hopefully the Dodgers bump out the Nationals.

Metsman Metsman
Oct '16

Indians/Cubs would be a lot of fun. Someone would actually win.

If the Orioles were still in, I'd be rooting for a Beltway Series. Surprised Metsman is rooting for the Dodgers with Utley still there ... whatever, guess he must really hate the Nats.

The Nats brought Cole Kimball up to the majors, nurtured and developed him through the minors and gave him another shot in Triple-A after his surgery ... I have a hard time hating them, even though they are a big mid-summer rival for the O's, similar to Mets-Yankees.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Oct '16

Yes I hate the Nats more. I'll just root for the Cubs to smack Utley and the Dodgers around.

Metsman Metsman
Oct '16

I think someone is still upset over the Murphy trade, Andy. ;)

Hot corner Hot corner
Oct '16

Wasn't a trade. The Mets just didn't re-sign him. Plus Murphy killed them all season.

Metsman Metsman
Oct '16

Got me- should have said "deal". Well you got your wish Dodgers/Cubs.

You think Kershaw will start every game or close every game? ;)

Hot corner Hot corner
Oct '16

Cubs in 5 games.

Metsman Metsman
Oct '16

Cubs in 4

Hot corner Hot corner
Oct '16

The Indians look like the real deal. Would be awesome to have an Indians/Cubs World Series.

Metsman Metsman
Oct '16

Did anyone else see that goat sitting in the third row lastnight? ;)

Hot corner Hot corner
Oct '16

Is that a Sarah Jessica Parker joke?

Utley is of course easy to hate, but you gotta like watching Justin Turner play if you're a baseball fan and a Mets fan, right?

Reggie Voter Reggie Voter
Oct '16

Love Indians winning against hated Toronto. Cubs bats came alive at last and looking better for Cubs\Indians now.

Didn't see the goat lastnight, Reggie.
Looks like they will rest Kershaw, so maybe Cubs win in 7.?.?.?

Cleveland is strong, nice outing by the rookie, he did well with all the heckling he took.

Hot corner Hot corner
Oct '16

Cubs / Indians would be awesome.

MeisterNJ MeisterNJ
Oct '16

Re: 2016 MLB Season

Your wish (and mine) has been granted Meister!

Calico696 Calico696
Oct '16

Yes it has. They really should have Charlie Sheen throw out the first pitch and Uecker in the booth.

MeisterNJ MeisterNJ
Oct '16

My wish is Cubs in 6.............

Congrats to the Cubbies! What a series, it was nice to history being made right before my eyes.

Hot corner Hot corner
Nov '16

Congrats Cubbies. Farewell Chief Wahoo

ianimal ianimal
Nov '16

Theo Epstein. Greatest GM ever? He's definitely in the conversation now.

ianimal ianimal
Nov '16

Great game!

Awesome game last night! Congrats to the Cubs and their fans!

Theo for President!!!

Calico696 Calico696
Nov '16

Great series! One of the best game 7's I've ever seen!

Metsman Metsman
Nov '16

Certainly one of the most exciting.

It's pretty cool that in my lifetime I've seen such longtime inept franchises like the St. Louis Browns (transplanted), Philadelphia Phillies, Red Sox, White Sox and Cubs win the World Series.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Nov '16

What a wonderful World Series. So happy the Cubs won it all.

Hey Andy, hope you get to see the inept Pirates win another one soon! :)

Hot corner Hot corner
Nov '16

When did the Pirates last win? 1979? I was an infant. LOL

Metsman Metsman
Nov '16

Yes, 1979 was their last... :(

Hot corner Hot corner
Nov '16

The Indians take over as the kings of "wait until next year". 68 seasons without a World Series championship.

The Mets are creeping up on the list, they now have the 11th longest drought in MLB since their last championship 30 years ago in 1986.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Major_League_Baseball_franchise_postseason_droughts#Longest_current_World_Series_championship_drought

The Rhyme Animal The Rhyme Animal
Nov '16

I was in the house when the Pirates won their last two, both game sevens in Baltimore, 71 and 79. The way Clemente's life ended, it's a good thing he was at the top of the mountain at the end of that 71 season ... who knew that he only had one season left?

Yes, the Mets are moving up on that drought list ... I've offered thoughts in recent years about it, that nobody wanted to hear.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Nov '16

Bartolo Colon got 1 year $12.5 million from the Braves. I'm glad the Mets passed. That's way too much for a 43 year old pitcher. That's going to drive up all the market prices now...

Metsman Metsman
Nov '16

The Braves also signed R.A. Dickey . Hmmm Colon and Dickey - sounds messy !

Zombo Zombo
Nov '16

Sounds like the Braves are grasping for straws. Colon still had good stuff this past season but he is to old for that kind of money, imo.

Hot corner Hot corner
Nov '16

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.