Backyard Birds 2016

Backyard Birds 2016

Cardinal from this morning.

Lovely photo.

Nature Lover Nature Lover
Feb '16

I got a Northern Flicker but no picture...

LVres LVres
Feb '16

Re: Backyard Birds 2016

Beautiful picture AXD. A group of Robins stopped by the other day for a drink of water.

jennymc jennymc
Feb '16

The older I get the more I enjoy bird watching. Thanks for sharing your photos.

Ollie Ollie
Feb '16

Also from today: Yellow-bellied Sapsucker.

Hmmmmm......so thats what Strangerdanger looks like... ;)

Hot corner Hot corner
Feb '16

The Flicker stopped by to wish everyone a Happy Valentine's Day!

jennymc jennymc
Feb '16

I love flickers! we occasionally get yellow shafted flickers.

Dansker Dansker
Feb '16

Jenny, we have had a large flock of robins lately - I don't remember them being in such a large group and so early - do you know if this is typical or unusual?

pmnsk pmnsk
Feb '16

They have been coming out of hiding earlier each year it seems. This was Feb 10th of last yr out my back window.

Grascal
Feb '16

pmnsk - I don't know a lot about birds and I was very shocked to see the Robins in the very cold weather. I always thought Robins signified Spring was here. I guess seeing them now dispels that myth.
It was interesting to see the Red Bellied Woodpecker and the Flickers together this morning, I guess they were trying to soak up some sun.

jennymc jennymc
Feb '16

I've seen flocks of robins for quite a while now - I don't think they fly south anymore

4catmom 4catmom
Feb '16

Rather jealous of you who have pretty birds around. Here in the Kenwood Village area we have crows, Canada geese and turkey vultures.

Frank d Frank d
Feb '16

Waterloo village- 2 swans on ice and great blue heron flying by.

A good day
Feb '16

I once saw an albino cardinal! Unfortunately I don't have a picture but it was really cool. I just kept staring at it saying that bird looks familiar and then it dawned on me what it was. Only saw it that one time.

Great pictures! We have a pair of Piliated wood peckers on a regular basis and occasionally a blue heron will stop by our pond to eat our fish.

Jesse123 Jesse123
Feb '16

Frank d: I live in Kenwood and have crows,geese and vultures, but also robins, bluejays, finches, sparrows, titmice, red bellied woodpeckers, pilated woodpeckers, downy wood peckers,nuthatches,chickadees,cardinals,wrens, catbirds, coopers hawks, green herons (rarely), and once a young bald eagle. And I'm sure I've forgotten a few. Also have several bird feeders, suet baskets and birdbaths to draw them in, plus lots of seed bearing plants.

Dansker Dansker
Feb '16

Many robins winter over and form "nomadic flocks". Its not unusual to go for a winter hike and come across dozens and dozens of robins that have moved into deeper sections of woods. Same goes for blue birds.

The true harbinger of spring in this area is the red wing blackbird. I've been looking and waiting. No sign yet.

honey badger honey badger
Feb '16

Glad to see this post has been continued!
Here is a picture of one of the four visitors we have gotten this year. Just about everyday we see them. They come for a meal of meal worms we raise.

Enjoy

4paws 4paws
Feb '16

We have a lot of "Visitors" to our back yard. Because of bears we need to bring in the feeders every night.
Here is a Nuthatch looking to "steal" a worm from the Bluebirds bowl.

4paws 4paws
Feb '16

lovely carolina wren visiting

4catmom 4catmom
Feb '16

hairy woodpecker? beak looks to be bigger than a downy

4catmom 4catmom
Feb '16

great pics 4cat and 4 paws you guys must be quick with the camera!

I never knew that honey badger - was really curious about the 30 or so robins around the house - have been here off and on for about a week! Thank you!

pmnsk pmnsk
Feb '16

If anyone is missing any cowbirds, I have them all here!

You like feeding cowbirds, OP? They'll be up to no good in a couple of months. :(

The Brown-headed Cowbird (Molothrus ater) is a brood parasite, meaning that it lays its eggs in nests of other species. A female cowbird quietly searches for female birds of other species that are actively laying eggs. Once she has found a suitable host, the cowbird will sneak onto the resident bird’s nest when it is away, usually damage or remove one (or more) egg, and replace that egg with one (or more) of her own (watch a cowbird laying an egg in a Northern Cardinal nest on NestCams). The foster parents then unknowingly raise the young cowbirds, usually at the expense of their own offspring. Cowbird eggs require a shorter incubation period than most other songbirds and thus usually hatch first. Cowbird nestlings also grow large very quickly. These advantages allow them to command the most food from their foster parents, usually resulting in reduced nesting success of the host species.

CraftBeerBob CraftBeerBob
Feb '16

nope not a bird - but a major visitor to my feeders (playing with my new camera)

4catmom 4catmom
Feb '16

I do like the squirrels. We Put extra food out for them. Nice photo.

A good day
Feb '16

3 mature bald eagles ( different times ) flying up musconectcong river . We live on route 46 side of river near boundary of Stevens state park.

just coach just coach
Feb '16

wow just coach! That must be something to see!

pmnsk pmnsk
Feb '16

4cat - Congrats on the camera, it's the same one I have. I don't have that lens tough, I've only got two AF's and the rest are all vintage manual focus.

thanks GC - my walk around lens is an 18-300 and I've got an 85mm micro--
beware - I may be asking for a little guidance on the cam - and I"m considering selling the D90 now.................great fun

4catmom 4catmom
Feb '16

Just saw "our" groundhog out and about - this is definitely the earliest I've seen it awake.

No jd2, My primary objective is to feed the large population of wintering goldfinches. I scare the cowbirds every chance I get, but what scares them also scares everyone else. I have a pair of sharp-shinned hawks that frequent my yard (hence all the lawn furniture) so I do not mind a few bait-birds, I mean cowbirds, hanging around.

4catmom - 18-300 a walk around? Yikes, you may now be on Rebecka's level. ;-) Most people think of that as a "go to" instead of walk around for test shots. I take a bunch of travel shots so I've got the 35mm 1.8, if you need something in that range I highly recommend it.

I love my $39 Vivitar Series One 70-210 mm f2.8. World class fast optics from the late 70's they're still trying to copy. OK, so it has a really big draw back of manual focus, but if I blow up a picture 50 times it's still clear enough to count Sugar's nose hairs. Not bad compared to the $2500 modern alternatives.

Like you said it's great fun to try a few of the old lenses because the Nikons from 50+ years ago still work on modern cameras. A barrel full of monkeys for $50 or so. And if it doesn't turn out, just sell it off again for about the same $.

Not in the backyard thankfully, but this is from Merrill Creek.

What a flock, AXD, great pic

pmnsk pmnsk
Feb '16

Red-winged black birds are here in mass this morning.

So wonderful! Been looking for them!

Dansker Dansker
Feb '16

Holy bird migration! Must have been a few thousand grackles and red-winged blackbirds behind tranquility farms this afternoon.

OP - spring is here!!

pmnsk pmnsk
Mar '16

Had a Pileated Woodpecker in our yard yesterday but he/she flew before I could grab my camera.

Not my backyard, but I just found this site: http://dceaglecam.eagles.org/

There is a camera (two actually) on a nesting Bald Eagle In Washington DC - it appears the baby may be born within the next 12-24 hours - there is significant cracking of the egg already.

Enjoy the show!

right here in New Jersey - Duke Farm Eagle Cam - one of many around the country/world http://www.ustream.tv/channel/eagle-cam

4catmom 4catmom
Mar '16

We had a pair of Mallards at our pond at the beginning of the week. They were then joined by 5 Wood ducks- 2 males and 3 females.
Then the dog spotted them and barked her head off

Blackcat Blackcat
Mar '16

This little guy flew into my moms sunroom window this morning, in Florida just north of Daytona. It sat here for about 20 mins, recouping from its crash. I believe it's a warbler, just not sure what kind. Anyone know?
We also saw an osprey fishing but didn't have my camera ready before it flew off. :(

Cherie Cherie
Mar '16

While not an expert. I believe that would be a "Northern Parula" which is of the Warbler family.

Grascal
Mar '16

Thank you! I think you may be right, according to the Audubon books. Here's another shot.

Cherie Cherie
Mar '16

Yep, Northern Parula.

gadfly gadfly
Mar '16

While not quite backyard. It is nice to see Warblers moving back in. This was at the Watergap today. I believe a Chestnut sided Warbler. Was a distant shot but couldn't resist.

Grascal
Mar '16

Grascal, probably a golden-crowned kinglet. May be a little early in the Spring for most warblers.

Thanks for the correction jd2. I think you are right. Normally they only have the center yellow spot. He had the tuft flared the way it looks and confused me.

Grascal
Mar '16

Indeed a rather impressive orange, Grascal. Got to sweep some little female kinglet off her feet (wings?)!

Nice shot.

Ok.... now I can honestly say the warblers are moving back in at Alumni. :) Correct me if wrong but looks like a Pine Warbler.

Grascal
Apr '16

You're right Grascal. Those pine warblers come back super early. There are some waterthrushes around too. Keep an ear out for them. Palm warblers should be back soon.

Gadfly Gadfly
Apr '16

When do hummingbirds start to feed?

DannyC DannyC
Apr '16

The Palms have made it back. Saw a few Yellow Rumps also.... ah ya just gotta love spring :)

Grascal
Apr '16

Beautiful photo of that Palm Warbler. Thanks.

According to what I've read, hummingbirds arrive April 19-23rd. My feeders went up today outside my kitchen windows. Can't wait for the first sighting...my favorite time of the year!

lola - Put just a touch of red food coloring in that. Should help out.

lola & GC -

Guess I got my hummingbird feeder out just in time, with about four drops of red food coloring. The weather looks good, with no freezing at night. But I cannot wear my favorite red shirt outdoors. The little hummingbirds like to hover in front of me, thinking about pecking at my red chest. Love them anyway.

DannyC DannyC
Apr '16

Making my hummingbird food right now!

Red dye is unnecessary, and contributes absolutely nothing to the good health of a hummingbird. In fact, its effects on hummingbirds are unproven. It is at best useless.

http://www.hummingbirds.net/dye.html

I don't know my sparrows very well. My cousin needs an ID on this lil guy. I'm thinking Vesper Sparrow? Am I close?

Grascal
Apr '16

Wow Grascal. You got me. I looked at three books, and I think you're right but I'm could say for sure. You might want to post that one on a birders forum or Facebook group. It's a great photo and someone will be able to tell you. Please let us know if you get confirmation.

Gadfly Gadfly
Apr '16

A single photo may not always be enough for a positive ID. That may be the case here. (I checked my book too and gave up.)

Do we see Vesper Sparrows very much anymore?

Grascal, can you tell us where that photo was taken? NJ?

gadfly gadfly
Apr '16

First hummer of the season today, A male stopped by in PV

exphysics teacher exphysics teacher
Apr '16

She said she took it in the Allentown area. I seem to find in reading Vespers get more plentiful as you move west. Heres another view. I know this isn't quite local but you all have been so good at sorting these things out :)

Grascal
Apr '16

I was noting the belly stripes. Wing graduated coloring and white eye ring which made me think Vesper.

Grascal
Apr '16

Yes, I think you're right Grascal. Wish I saw it!

gadfly gadfly
Apr '16

a visitor to my deck today

4catmom 4catmom
May '16

4catmom - very handsome dude, still puffed up in this chilly weather. Nice photo shot. What is his genre?

DannyC DannyC
May '16

rose breasted grosbeak

4catmom 4catmom
May '16

4catmom: this is the 1st year I'm seeing tons of them at my feeder (I'm in PV). Been trying to get a pic, but haven't been able to get a clear shot. They're so beautiful! Thanks for the pic!

Mom and Dad Blue Bird have managed to raise three KIDS. They have just started bringing the kids over to the house for their meals.

Mr4paws

4paws 4paws
May '16

Built a birdhouse 6 days ago and saw this today! I knew there were a couple of
Bluebirds flying around and building a nest but they really don't waste time

fujixt1 fujixt1
Jun '16

Baby squirrel learning how not to work hard for your meal!

I now have 5 eggs ready to hatch soon! Here's the dad.

fujixt1 fujixt1
Jun '16

I have over 25 finches visiting my feeders outside my window. The BlueJays are the biggest bullies on the block, but they are beautiful.

YankeeFrank YankeeFrank
Jun '16

Great Bird ID App - Merlin from the Cornell labs, in the app store and the play store, free. very easy to use. gets your location from your phone, tell it the size, color, and where spotted and they will give you a dozen choices or so. Found it to be very accurate, only problem you cant keep the birds you have ID'd in your own database.

YankeeFrank YankeeFrank
Jun '16

I'm having a woodpecker issue, it's making large holes on my deck railing.
Any ideas on how to stop this destruction?

Anyone know what bird this is? Had two on my back porch after the cat food. About the size of a large chicken

That would be a black vulture.

Grascal
Jun '16

The male of the pair that were after my hanging basket where the zinnias are now producing seeds.

Been having a problem with my Birdfeeder going empty rather quickly over the past few days. I suspected it was squirrels. Finally caught it yesterday, it is one of them Rare Great Horned Squirrels. I watched as he deftly reached up, shook the feeder then cleaned up what dropped. There were actually two of them!

4paws 4paws
Sep '16

Well as we are closing out the year, just thought I would post a picture of some visitors who have hung around. They are enjoying a mealworm snack! There are 6 of them!

4paws 4paws
Dec '16

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.