Pequest River fishing weirs

Does anyone have any history to share about the various fishing weirs along the pequest river. I live close to the river and drive rt 46 daily but have only lived in the are for a year or so. I have noticed several very clear fishing weirs set up in different sections of the river from about the fish hatchery down to Belvidere. Some can even be seen from the car while driving past. Would anyone know if these are of ancient native design or were these built in more somewhat recent times by towns folks in years gone by. I suppose they could have also been built by fisherman looking for an advantage, though would take a bit of an effort to build, just to catch a few extra trout. I know the Lenape frequented the river and surrounding areas and built fishing weirs on many rivers in the state(a few good examples in the Patterson area). Would love to know if what I am seeing have been sitting in the river for hundreds of years or of a more recent construction.

Jinthewoods Jinthewoods
Feb '16

I've seen what looks like portions of old weirs in Stephens State Park on the Musconetcong, but never gave much thought to who may have built or used them.

Phil D. Phil D.
Feb '16

well, now I learned something new - never knew what those loose stone forms were - thank you! (now I will see them everywhere, lol!!)

pmnsk pmnsk
Feb '16

From what I have read, I'll never remember the source, some remain from native peoples, used them to catch eels with traps at the end.

Roywhite Roywhite
Feb '16

Eel traps. There are quite a few along the Pequest from Great Meadows to Belvidere.

Indie Indie
Feb '16

Definitely eel racks. There are a few still in use on the Delaware River above Port Jervis, NY. A friend of mine knows some stuff about the ones on the Pequest. I will ask him about there history.

Fishmaker1 Fishmaker1
Feb '16

The old stone weirs found on the tributaries of the Delaware River were constructed by natives to trap Shad that migrated by the millions back in the day.

OldSam
Feb '16

more recent the 1950's an 60's a friend of mine helped make them

oldred
Feb '16

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.