HL Lounge Continued

It's been a while since this great thread has been resurrected. So glad it has popped up again. Figured it would be easier to post on a much less lengthy one.

Danny so glad you've found The Lounge, I'm sure your cooking expertise will be a great benefit!

positive positive
Feb '16

Danny, it could be whatever you want it to be. It's an imaginary place to unwind and enjoy with other posters.

positive positive
Feb '16

positive - I still do not know what and where "The Lounge" is. Part of Centenary, American Legion, VFW, K of C, or an independent store or bar? I am a clueless newbee. Please advise. Thanks.

DannyC DannyC
Feb '16

positive - "Imaginary place"? I do not understand.

DannyC DannyC
Feb '16

It's a thread about unleashing your imagination, like for example "I'm at the lounge soaking in a hot tub sipping a martini while overlooking the snow covered Alaskan mountains."

It's just a nice way to get away from reality. If you check out the original the thread that might give you a better understanding.

Sorry for the confusion.

positive positive
Feb '16

positive - confusing indeed! I prefer to attack reality, tough as it might often be, with positive and sometimes fun solutions. What I would like to see is a set of real sites where everyone's imaginations can be realized, or at least a few, particularly good food, drink, music and art.

DannyC DannyC
Feb '16

DannyC - The Lounge is the place where everyone has enough time, enough money, nothing you ever eat has any calories, and no one ever argues. ;-)

So no, not exactly real. But we have fun anyway. In fact Clyde Potts & maja have been at the bar since noon when the party isn't even until Sunday...

I hope Clyde just brought himself and not one of his dishes. Lol

positive positive
Feb '16

positive - Not to worry, the Lounge kitchen is always open and can whip up the meal of your choice. Clyde can eat his spaghetti-o and wheat germ casserole, while you get a nice filet if you'd like.

I'll take a good red and the view of the Canadian Rockies - please - a roaring fire would be lovely - DannyC - try it - you'll like it.

4catmom 4catmom
Feb '16

GC, how about grilled lemon garlic flounder stuffed with crabmeat with a side of braised herb and butter purple potatoes?

I will be at the fire sipping wine with 4catmom. Thanks in advance GC..I know it will be great.

positive positive
Feb '16

4catmom & positive - enjoy the fire from the cbel memorial stone fireplace. Throws and pillows are available as well as a fine library if you want a good book. I'll make sure the kitchen sends along a nice meal although such fish entrees aren't something I'd personally be involved with. Perhaps DannyC would like to guest chef on that. I'll also alert the sommelier and have them bring the Lafite menu. ;-)

GC - Why did you say I "would like to guest chef" at the cbel memorial? I have no idea who cbel is or was, but wish I did. Please enlighten me. Thanks

DannyC DannyC
Feb '16

GC, positive et al - So "The Lounge" is just about your fantasies? Hmmm. Gives me some ideas about turning them into realities at a real place. Keep them coming.

4catmom - How about a holographic 3D of the Canadian Rockies, a roaring fire and a fine Cabernet Sauvignon or White Zinfandel? I would certainly like it.

DannyC DannyC
Feb '16

DannyC - No, not a "memorial", that reference was to the fireplace. cbel who many of us met in person was one of the people that very much contributed to the Lounge. She always wanted a quiet, peaceful place to relax instead of the sometimes stressful bickering that can happen on HL. She was a big fan of the Warren Co Library in Independence and would read books there by the corner that seemed like a cozy fireplace. So one of her dreams was to come here to the Lounge and fall asleep by a roaring fire. She talked often about having something like that, so I figured it would be great to dedicate the fireplace here to her memory.

My comment about being a guest chef is because I don't cook fish at all. Ever. It's food I just can't eat myself and so would not attempt to try to make it. I figured if that's something you can make, maybe you would step in to take over talking up and suggesting the specifics of positive's request for stuffed flounder. ;-)

GC - cbel sounds like a real gem, but gone, right, when?

DannyC DannyC
Feb '16

DannyC - Back in mid-2013.

http://www.hackettstownlife.com/forum/522856

Danny C. wait until you try my Spaghetti O's Parmigiana, a REAL FAVORITE of positive.

Welcome to "The Lounge" Danny

Clyde Potts Clyde Potts
Feb '16

This is such good news....The Lounge has reopened!!! I will be out shopping soon for some new throws for the girls and some "blankies" for the men down in the man cave...Anyone have a favorite color??? Also glad to hear we have a new chef aboard. Welcome, Danny! Now maybe we will have some good fish dishes on the menu...GC cooks fish sometimes but only if we twist his arm...real hard!!!

joyful joyful
Feb '16

Trying to figure out what "The Lounge" is has turned into a research project, going through threads dating back to 2008, and trying to piece together cryptic comments and conversations between you all. You guys have been at this for a while. Pardon my ignorance.

DannyC DannyC
Feb '16

The HL Lounge offers so much for all of us, DannyC...We all have times that we want to escape from reality and have the perfect ending to a day at a place that we can be anything we want to be, eat anything we want to eat or drink anything we want to drink without gaining a pound or a hangover and just let our imagination run wild...That is the HL Lounge...Enjoy...

joyful joyful
Feb '16

This thread made me start a post that asked how long the forum has been around, but i didn't get answer. I bet I'll get one here.

Darleen Darleen
Feb '16

Darleen - Calico did answer you on the other thread. It was around 2007.

I'm sorry. I missed that answer. You've been together a long time.

Darleen Darleen
Feb '16

There are a few of us long time HLers who despite some of the posters who get on the Forum and post as soon as they take their "nasty pills" in the morning hang in there and really enjoy being a part of Hackettstown Life. Cbel got me started some time ago only because she wanted a "older" poster like she was giving their point of view on here. She and I became wonderful friends and I miss her to this day very much. She also got me "hooked" on the HL Lounge which is really a fun way to chat with each other and use our imagination creating our own personal dream world.

joyful joyful
Feb '16

Joyful,

Thank you for explaining more about HL to me. I hope your breakfast is fun. Joe is still not feeling well, but we'll meet all of you at a breakfast someday, I'm sure.

Darleen Darleen
Feb '16

LOL..I was also wondering what "The Lounge " was and where.

sparksjbc1964 sparksjbc1964
Feb '16

oh my do I need to be here - a respite from the koolaid - I'll have earplugs and a jug of xanax first - and then a cozy fire and comfort food..............I bet I'm not the only one who needs to retreat

4catmom 4catmom
Mar '16

So glad you stopped at the Lounge today, 4catmom...I was at a sale at Homegoods over the weekend and picked up some beautiful flannel throws for our guests at the Lounge as they sit by the fire. I bought you a pretty green one! No need for the Zanax...I have some great "bubbly" for you to try...

joyful joyful
Mar '16

thank you joyful................the lounge is a beautiful thing ................just where I need to be .....and thank you for the bubbly...........plenty to share for all who wish to join us

4catmom 4catmom
Mar '16

Re: HL Lounge Continued

4cat - It's positively overwhelming in here. But not to fear - I'm ramping up the kitchen immediately. So what'll it be? Mac N Cheese Al Forno? The special of the day is corned beef done two ways. There's oven roastsed corned beef in white wine. Or there's "Kilty Pleasure" done in a crock pot & infused with Man Skirt Porter.

Otherwise I won't even ask, I'm sending over the bar tender to take your order. ;-)

I'll take it all, GC. Hope you'll join me.

4catmom 4catmom
Mar '16

And 4catmom for desert, try my world known favorite Broccoli ice cream

Clyde Potts Clyde Potts
Mar '16

Upcoming Porkfest menu:

Pork Chop Tikka Masala - A new take on an old Indian favorite, over rice with pappadums.

Mango Pork & Noodles - Tangy with a touch of pineapple.

Pork Bourbon BBQ - Sweet & Smoky BBQ sauce, slow slow slow cooked, shot of Bourbon for flavor.

Chu Chee Pork - With rice noodles, Thai inspired spicy curry with kafir lime and lemongrass.

Peanut Pork Sate - Asian peanut & coconut dipping sauce with grill pork

Holy &#^!! Green Chili Pickle Pork - Pork Chop with Indian Green Chili Pickle & Cream Cheese. Not for the uninitiated. 100,000+ Scoville Unit Holy &#^!! over the edge XXX spicy.

Crispy Grilled Pork Chop with Chinese Glutinous Chili Sauce - it'll get those taste buds going, just a quick kick, an under rated ingredient.

can I put in an order for moo shu pork please with lots of plum sauce??

4catmom 4catmom
May '16

4catmom - Of course you can!! Anything required can be whipped up in the Lounge in no time at all! And it has no calories either. ;-)

Will you send your cabana boy over to the kitchen to pick it up?

Chicken Week begins for the refugees from the terminally side taking talks of politics, religion, and sex:

Monday - Chicken puttanesca, rich and savory without the slightest bit of controversy, olives, capers, lemon butter, over the hair of delicate angels. ;-)

Tuesday - bourbon infused papaya flambe, a totally different kind of "fire". Caribbean and warmly tropical, but toasty in its friendship. Shared. Comes to the table only shared. If you can't handle sharing, you can't handle the dish. ;-)

Wednesday - Indian lemon pickle chicken. Ok, so this one is a sheep in wolves tweets. Not your typical lemon chicken, spiced up only with peppers and without controversy. Lemon pickle chutney makes this sing, perhaps falsetto for the Lounge gentlemen who feel their anatomy in a vice. But for those wishing on a gentler star, a deep fried traditional version with nothing more than a hint of black pepper to balance the sweet Capri lemon is available.

Thursday - Thai peanut chicken. Three varieties for the spice of life. Skewers, total grill heaven, Satay style with multiple peanut dipping sauces. Sounds simple, but sometimes that's deceptively the highlight of the week. Curry, coconut milk braised for hours in a crock pot with subtle hints of lemongrass and cardamum. East/West detente. Stir fry with shallots in slightly sweet soy tamarind sauce and Asian vegetables. All come with choice of Basmati saffron rice or thin rice noodles.

Friday - Closed kitchen in favor of stuffed pork loin from the Legion. Seriously. All anyone needs.

count me in

4catmom 4catmom
Aug '16

4catmom - With a vengeance. Any special requests for modifications from the kitchen and your wish is always a pleasure.

awww shucks - fresh cut flowers on the table and a nice glass of - hmmm something white and cold.............sadly easy on the garlic please

4catmom 4catmom
Aug '16

4cat - Fresh from the magnificent Lounge garden of course. The puttanesca will be a challenge as the garlic's part of the flavor profile front and center. Up to you whether you want something different on Monday or not. The other days are not an issue.

As for white and cold, we have that in spades. French, Californian, or Chilean we have prime reserve examples of them all in the wine cellar. Because of my background I have also sourced an extremely rare minerally, slate stone kind of Marlborough Sauvignon Blanc from the South Island of New Zealand. Was once stranded there for 3 hours waiting for a broken down bus replacement to take us to Christchurch. (true story) Not for everyone, very distinctive taste, only for a true fan but I can have this flown in express from an old neighbor's estate on a special Air New Zealand pilot's flight only through the Lounge. It that's your taste, then just let us know. I'll have the sommelier over in a nanosecond, just give your requirements and the more detailed the better. No expense spared. After all, it's the Lounge. ;-)

Well I've got the first fire of the season going here in the lounge. Anyone care to join me for wine, or perhaps a cocktail, on this lovely wintry night?

Rebecka Rebecka
Nov '16

That looks very inviting Rebecka. After the afternoon, watching the Giants, to see if they could hang on. I need to relax and unwind.

Old Gent Old Gent
Nov '16

Just returning from shopping and saw that Rebecka has the lounge open tonight and a fire going. I am on my way. I will bring the Merlot and also some new fluffy throws for the lounge visitors to keep us extra warm and cozy. I bought Rebecka a pretty red throw and myself a blue (my favorite color)..Looking forward to seeing Old Gent too!

joyful joyful
Nov '16

5 Layer baked lasgna ready. Sun dried tomatoes, black olives, mozz, ricotta, romano topping, a few jalapenos for the hearty... Caprese salad, warming minestrone, sambuca cake...

Such a beautiful fireplace Rebecka and GC your menu sounds fantastic. I'm in....

positive positive
Nov '16

What a fun time last night with you all at the HL Lounge. So nice to meet positive and Old Gent. GC's menu was fantastic as usual and that fire in the HLLounge fireplace was so perfect for a cold, windy night....Thanks Rebecka for getting that started for us all...

joyful joyful
Nov '16

We need to do this more often!

Rebecka Rebecka
Nov '16

How do you guys feel about corned beef and new potatoes for dinner ? I am browning beef for Shepards pie and cutting up veggies but would be pretty easy to throw on in the pressure cooker. Sit down and enjoy a nice warm cider while you wait

skippy skippy
Nov '16

Nice of you to give GC a break, Skippy. Both of you make our mouths water.

Enjoying cider... got another fire going... and I hope no one minds if a lop-eared friend joins us for a bit? She brings out the zen in everyone.

Rebecka Rebecka
Nov '16

The lop eared friend makes my mouth water...

White Shoes White Shoes
Nov '16

Omg the look on your face there, WS. Luckily, all rivalries are put aside and everyone gets along in The HL Lounge.

Rebecka Rebecka
Nov '16

What Irishman does not like Corned Beef and new potatoes, Skippy? I am there. Will bring along some Guiness just for that extra Irish touch...Can't wait to meet Rebecka's bunny rabbits...White shoes is to stay away!!!! If I brought Miss Kitty, I am sure she would love to play with the bunnies. She is a gentle soul... See ya' in a bit!

joyful joyful
Nov '16

Who can't love a lop - food is served - enjoy. I'm going to whip up some Irish coffee for desert and conversation

skippy skippy
Nov '16

Awww, just needed to get away from the arrogance and all of the complications. Feels good to be here. Just watching the moon and counting the stars, sipping champagne and nibbling on cashews, provolone cheese and crackers.

positive positive
Jul '17

I am proud to announce that I will be Marketing my Spaghetti O's Parm. Shop-Rite & Weiss are already on board. Look for the jar with 4catmom's picture. As her reward for being my MOST LOYAL customer

Clyde Potts Clyde Potts
Jul '17

aww shucks, Clyde - you know it

4catmom 4catmom
Jul '17

Opening up the Lounge after seeing a post about Cbel and opening the Lounge in honor of her. I never met her but she seemed like such a class act and that she really enjoyed posting on the forum and the HL breakfasts and lunches.

Tomorrow I will be serving up in the Lounge a Breakfast Buffet in honor of dear Cbel, with an omelette station, waffle station and breakfast crepes.

Rest in Peace, Dear Cbel....

resident08
Nov '17

Good Evening. I'm bring up the lounge tonight. I'm tired of almost every thread turning into a fight. I am cozy on the couch with a glass of wine. Pizza bagels in the oven. Sorry not more gourmet but it is all I have tonight. Waiting for a hopefully beautiful snowfall at the sunrise. Stay warm.

Modernfamily Modernfamily
Mar '18

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.