Doctor's Park (Riverfront Park): is path cleared?

Has anyone been to Riverside Park since the storm? I know they sometimes clear the walking path, and was thinking of taking the dog there today.... just curious is anyone has been there lately?

JeffersonRepub JeffersonRepub
Jan '16

They were snowblowing off the walking paths yesterday morning ....

As of yesterday morning (before 8am), no. The path to the porta potty is clear, though.

BeerFan
Jan '16

As mentioned above, the circle loop around the parking area was being cleared yesterday. The wooded area is passable if you and your dog like snow! It has not been cleared but there are "foot" paths to follow, and I imagine the warm temps yesterday melted some more.

Davis Davis
Jan '16

Alright!!! Thanks!!!! Will take Indy over there this afternoon.

Jan '16

Thanks for the info, Sophie needs a good walk!

JR and Iris - How was it?

Challah Challah
Jan '16

Anyone been down there recently? Would love to take a walk there today if possible!

HHS fan HHS fan
Jan '16

The paved path is clear. The woods path is packed snow. Not much grass yet. (I went today)

Jan '16

Beautiful hike through the woods today - just amazing!
Not many people either

I wish other towns (I'm talking about you, Independence!) would clear their paths too.

Doctors Park was beautiful Sunday. Many people walking around the clear, dry paved path, and several venturing into the packed snow through the woods.

ken e
Feb '16

We were there yesterday and it was just as ken e describes. Thanks for clearing the path Hackettstown! Beautiful day. We ventured into the woods and ended up walking through the snow in some spots, but it wasn't bad, not very deep.

Could really see the deer tracks. We found a garter snake trying to cross the path in the snow, no idea why he was out in the cold. We moved him closer to a tree where the snow was melted.

At work when I walk at lunch circling the parking lot is the only option. The park makes a very nice change!

hktownie hktownie
Feb '16

I walked the dog here earlier today since I took a ride by Field of Dreams and the driveway was blocked off and none of the snow was cleared. Hopefully with the warmer temperatures we are having, the snow will melt enough that the park will open again.

Lynnada Lynnada
Feb '16

Can anyone tell me if the path is cleared today 2/15?

Consigliere
Feb '19

The path around the field at Riverfront Park is clear - we walked it yesterday...

4catmom 4catmom
Feb '19

Thanks 4cat!

Consigliere
Feb '19

Lovely park! Great all year round.

Nature Lover Nature Lover
Feb '19

Walked a lot of it today - said hi to the swans, mallards, geese and a bluebird....

4catmom 4catmom
Feb '19

Just a few icy patches left in the shady part of the woods yesterday, rest was clear, or mud.

hktownie hktownie
Feb '19

It’s going to be 49 tomorrow and was hoping to get a jog in. Anyone know if this path is cleared?

Consigliere
Feb '21

Supposed to be a ice storm tonight...good luck with the jog

Bug3
Feb '21

Ice doesn’t last long in 49 degree weather.

Consigliere
Feb '21

Trails are not maintained in the winter

Michael Michael
Feb '21

Anyone been to Riverfront Park? Are the paths cleared (and despite the poster above, I have been to Riverfront Park plenty of times in the winter when the paved path WAS cleared). Crappy weather tomorrow, it would be nice to take the dogs to the park in the abundant SUNSHINE, if the paved paths (at least) were clear.

Feb '21

J R . Let us know what you find out after you go there.

Jim KIng
Feb '21

There are signs that say the trails are not maintained in winter - use at your own risk - or words to that effect--- if you find otherwise - we'd love to know too

4catmom 4catmom
Feb '21

Paved paths are not clear. Ankle deep snow.

Feb '21

Thanks for the report, JR

Consigliere
Feb '21

I was there on Monday, and the paths were packed snow from people and pups walking. Since I took my dog over while Mom was getting her hair done, we didn't have a lot of time, so just strolled around the edges of the parking lot just to get out a bit.

Lynnada Lynnada
Feb '21

JR- did you walk them anyway? If everyone did that, they would be cleared up in a jiffy.

auntiel auntiel
Feb '21

I'm not walking my dogs in ankle deep snow. And no, they don't, and won't, own or wear "booties" for the purpose. I snow blow paths (like a race track) around our yard, and they have a ton of fun running around those, until all the snow melts.

Feb '21

JR, After cleaning off my driveway and path to the gate to the backyard, my next step would always be to shovel the stairs from the kitchen down to the deck and backyard so I could shovel the same type of "racetrack" for my furry buddy. I knew what his normal path was when he did his "rounds" to check the security of the yard and I'd make shortcuts on the paths he usually took from that loop. Of course if I picked him up, he loved to launch himself off me into a snow mound created from the shovelings. A snow blower or leaf blower probably would've been easier, but I liked the exercise and never owned a snow blower.

Of course near some of the corners I'd also make a larger area for him to do his business in. Yellow snow happens everywhere;-), but if someone's dog has a problem pooping when it's snowy, it makes all the difference between them being stopped up and having a relatively easy experience, LOL. Not only does it make it a bit easier to sniff through the snow, but who wants to dip their butt into the snow to go, too many peeps don't think about that:-D

I know that obviously wild dogs and wolves, as well as sled team dogs, or ones used to being outside with thicker coats do it all the time, but "house" dogs often get too used to being in our controlled environment inside and it can often cause issues that you don't expect.

Phil D. Phil D.
Feb '21

JR- I don’t tromp through snow with my dog either. She wouldn’t do it anyway. She doesn’t like getting wet or dirty. Hubby has to clear her a path. She is confused however because she can’t see over the pathway. She was getting quite bored with the snow until a bunny decided to take up residence under the snowmobile trailer.

auntiel auntiel
Feb '21

Haha fellow pet owners unite! Yeah, we take care of our furry family members. But some of it is for MY benefit as well- if I give them a nice clear path, and cleared areas to do their business, they WILL go out and do their business, instead of holding it out of stubbornness and then waking me up at 2:30am to let them out! LOL

Feb '21

JR - I'm glad I don't have to clear a race track in the yard anymore, it's quite a bit of work when I am even able to get the snowblower back there.

With my current mutt, I had to shovel out a path across the patio and his usual #1 area is right next to it, so shoveled an area there when we had the big snowstorm. Well, actually had to shovel several times with the length of the storm and the drifting. Since then, this boy goes out and goes "snow bathing" he makes doggie snow angels (they have tails) and any additional snow that fell on the path he has tamped down by walking and also rolling and sliding his body along, so it looks like a luge track.

It's nice having a dog with a lower center of gravity who doesn't mind snow and is sure footed on ice. He has even gone "off-roading" to non dug out areas to do #2. If he sinks he just keeps trudging on or bunny hopping if it's really deep.

Lynnada Lynnada
Feb '21

Haha Lynn.. yeah, the greyhounds tried to jump into the deep snow, and got ONE step- then sank up to their bellies!!! They were like, what the hell?!?! LOL. Since then, they have stuck to the paths. We walk them every day the roads are clear, tho. Exercise for us as well as them. A long walk today, since we knew we wouldn't be walking tomorrow with the weather coming!

Feb '21

Re: Doctor's Park (Riverfront Park):  is path cleared?

The paths are cleared ....and in the process of being cleared !

Re: Doctor's Park (Riverfront Park):  is path cleared?

And another....

Nice!

Mar '21

YAY - we sure have been missing our walks there....

4catmom 4catmom
Mar '21

Thank you, Dam!!

Consigliere
Mar '21

Wonderful. Thank you for posting. I am so Happy to know!

Mrs. Pipes Mrs. Pipes
Mar '21

P.S.A.

Not ALL the paths are clear. The path around Sheldon field is clear, but the path around Doherty field has not been touched. Walk/jog/run at your own risk.

JustTheFacts
Mar '21

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics

Leave a Reply

To comment on this topic, fill out the form below. If you would like to comment directly to one person, you may click on the envelope next to the posters name if they provided their email.

Re: Doctor's Park (Riverfront Park): is path cleared?
Name (Required)
Email (Protected)
Add Photo (Optional)
By pressing Submit Comment, you are agreeing to the terms and conditions.