What are your favorite winter recipes

Tjis weekend i think Im going to make beef stew in my crock pot.I get some chuck cubes potatoes with some carrots and string beans,I put some beef broth and some beef consomme in my crock pot and cook it all day.Dont forget to brown beef first.Maybe some italian bread on the side.Yummy to my tummy

patricia patricia
Jan '16

My hubbies Mac and cheese, the real unboxed deal.

Patricia - oh, that sounds good. I use the same ingredients, but in a cast iron Dutch oven. Browning the beef is essential, and deglazing the pot with a little red wine is a beautiful thing for the gravy. Don't forget caramelized onions, mushrooms and fresh herbs.

DannyC DannyC
Jan '16

quiche made in cupcake tins- healthy snack.

wolf feather
Jan '16

French onion soup.

Ladle the onions and broth in a small bowl or ramekin, Toasted french bread on top, or
(As I enjoy better ) some large croutons; and then layers of Swiss Cheese over the top with the cheese touching the edge of the bowl, and then in the broiler to melt and brown the cheese. Ummmmm!!!

Embryodad Embryodad
Jan '16

I currently have chicken bones and veggies in crock pot to make broth. On Saturday I will make individual chicken pot pies to freeze. For dinner Saturday nite, I will simply pour over biscuits.

Lifeistooshort
Jan '16

patricia - Anything in a crock pot. You may want to review the long crock pot thread that has a couple dozen recipes and ideas.

My absolute favorite is Thai beef in coconut milk. Fall off the bone chicken curry in a crock isn't bad either.

On another note, a grilled cheese with sriracha isn't bad on a day like today either.

I love making chili in the crock pot in the winter. Warms you right up.

Last night I made a tuna casserole, a perfect pantry meal for when you can't get to the grocery store. Cans of tuna, cream of mushroom soup, frozen peas and corn, cooked pasta and shredded cheese, and a little bit of bread crumbs for crunch on the top. Excellent comfort food.

ajm4884 ajm4884
Jan '16

Danny you got the right idea I would like to get the dutch oven.I also like to put mushrooms in it to.Lets not forget the buiscuits.

patricia patricia
Jan '16

Sauerbraten, beef bourginon, roast chicken. A good creamy mushroom soup (from scratch). And chili is always good.

MeisterNJ MeisterNJ
Jan '16

Very simple but good, I made a lemon butter roasted chicken, stuffing and spinach. For dessert..I made a chocolate cake.

iRun, I'd love it if you can share your husband's mac n cheese recipe.

positive positive
Jan '16

i have a favorite recipie, that i use for my crockpot. Pork chops and sauerkraut.
first brown my boneless prok chops put aside.scrape out the bits from the frying pan.then i add a large can of saurerkraut ,strained it first ,put in crockpot with porkchops,add large onion and peel an apple and cut it into cubes .put all ingredinets into crockpot .add water and gravy master.Then I make mashed potatoes.Get my plate put potatoes on one side and put chops and kraut next to them and on top of potatoes.

patricia patricia
Jan '16

Thanks Danny I have gift cards think ill go to khols this week.Be nice to add to my collection just got a pressure cooker but havent used it yet,

patricia patricia
Jan '16

patricia, Kohl's has pre-seasoned cast iron Dutch ovens for $70. Not cheap, but a one-time investment if you take care of it by re-seasoning it (oiling it) after each use. Also get a raised plate for the bottom so the food does not stick to the bottom of the pot, the gravy can brew to perfection, and you don't have to stir during two hours of cooking. Finely chopped parsley, sage, rosemary and thyme are the best for beef (not a lot, but sing the song while preparing it!) Home-baked, from-scratch biscuits, crusty Italian or French bread...now you have the right idea!

MeisterNJ, Sauerbraten, YES! Sharing recipes? Potato pancakes, red cabbage and baked apples as sides?

DannyC DannyC
Jan '16

I use an egg batter in my mac n cheese. Makes it soufflé like. Kids love it but I call it adult mac n cheese.

One of our favorite wr is tuna casserole I make my own mushroom sauce; no soup but wine tobasco and soy sauce involved. Nice olive oil drizzled cheese and bread crumb topping. Actually one of my more active recipes. Many pans, bowls, and simultaneous actions. Work up a sweat.

But a mainstay for post snow shoveling is hot open faced roadt beef or chicken sandwiches with mashed potatoes and school house green beans. Our record is 7 minutes from fridge opening to serving with my son and I "cooking". And it's extremely hot, hot, hot. Use shredded deli meat, instant potatoes, jarred gravy, and can of tube-cut beans like we got in school cafeteria. Feels like real food and everything is boiling as we serve. Warms the soul. For those chasing our speed record, the boiling potato water is the getekeeper.

Strangerdanger Strangerdanger
Jan '16

patricia, strangerdanger et al,

This may at first not seem like fast food, but with a little practice and skill it can be.

CHICKEN CUTLETS

Servings:
20 - 24 cutlets

Ingredients:
3 lbs. boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1/4 cup grated Locatelli Romano cheese
6 eggs
24 oz. bread crumbs, Italian flavored
24 oz. extra virgin olive oil

Note - Practice and take care - butchering is necessary, since just pounding will result in chicken puffing up to its original thickness when it hits the hot oil.

Using a serrated chef's knife, trim off any remaining fat or skin from chicken breasts. Find the junction of the tenderloin and the breast meat. There is a hard, white membrane there that is inedible and must also be trimmed off. Bunch up chicken to achieve maximum height. Cut into slices slightly under 1/4 inch thick. Let the knife do the work, and use your free hand to keep the thickness constant as the knife cuts through. For remaining small pieces, such as the tenderloin, butterfly cut them by slicing to about 1/4 inch from the end and then folding open the slice. Pound slices on one side with the pointed side of a mallet to flatten and make small indents to accept the cheese. No flour, but instead sprinkle with Locatelli Romano cheese and gently press into the meat. Dip in egg wash and breadcrumbs. The cheese will flavor the meat, but it will not burn. Fry for four minutes per side, or until golden brown, then drain well on paper towels.

Cutlets can also be used as a base with several sauces and toppings to make other dishes such as chicken piccata, marsala, saltimbocca rollatini, cordon bleu, and of course, chicken parmesan, or eaten plain like cookies, as my grandsons have done for years. They can be frozen with a shelf life of >90 days, and reheated for 30 seconds in the microwave, with no loss of taste or texture.

DannyC DannyC
Jan '16

DannyC, I use Alton Brown's recipe for Sauerbraten. Turns out great. As as sides I either do spaetzle or I just made for the first time potato dumplings with a crouton in the middle. And red cabbage. The potato dumplings came out pretty good. Had a little trouble with the moisture (way too sticky to start) but eventually they came out fine after adding more flour (lots more). Made my own bread and from that the croutons.

MeisterNJ MeisterNJ
Jan '16

Gee, MeisterNJ,.... If I were not already married, I think I would propose to you! You sound like a great cook and have given us all such great ideas for preparation of interesting and comfort food.... My husband makes coffee and that is about as far as his kitchen duties are concerned...

joyful joyful
Jan '16

I'm a fan of bourbon, poured ver a single ice cube and consumed in a leisurely fashion while binge watching old movies.

Agust Agust
Jan '16

Poptarts.

Ha, thanks joyful. I do get that a lot. One of the reasons my wife married me is because of my culinary and agricultural skills. I grew up cooking with my dad and my mom. Learned a lot on my own as well. I've always been interested in trying new (and old) things. My parents always encouraged us and exposed us to many things while travelling. And they never limited my brother and I as to what we could order at a restaurant. So, I'm the result of that I guess.

MeisterNJ MeisterNJ
Jan '16

I know better than that, GC!!!!!

joyful joyful
Jan '16

joyful - Just because my bourbon beef BBQ and roasted red pepper beef burgeon are done in the crock pot doesn't mean I can't have a nice hot S'mores poptart.

Besides, I don't care who you are, that's a funny joke right there. ;-)

MeisterNJ - Thanks for your sauerbraten recommendation. Alton Brown is the only food celebrity that I trust, as both a cook and a chemist, backing up his recipes with science, not just "bam" excess spices or nice cleavage for show time.

GC - tell me more about your beef dishes in the crock pot.

DannyC DannyC
Jan '16

I'll use recipes from Tyler Florence from time to time as well. Ruhlman and Ottolenghi have some really good stuff too. Tyler's Beef Bourginon is fantastic. Calls for flaming cognac. That's usually a good thing.

MeisterNJ MeisterNJ
Jan '16

DannyC - As simple as it gets. BBQ is just the meat, favorite bottled sauce, a healthy dose of bourbon to cut the sauce, and just a tad molasses. Lowest heat for about 6-8 hrs and done.

The burgeon is just the meat, a cup of decent red wine, and some sliced red roasted peppers. For the wine I'm tending to use something like a South American malbec. You can get that with loads of flavor without too many tannins at a good price. I got the idea of the roasted red peppers from a pub in London that had the most savory goulash. The key ingredient was red peppers.

One issue with both recipes is to keep the crock uncovered to start. The low temp of the crock needs that to get rid of the alcohol.

patricia - are you following this? I just made a batch of two dozen chicken cutlets, a crock pot cooking beef bourgeon, sauerbraten in the Dutch oven, grilled the vegies, bread in the oven, tomato sauce simmering on the stove and pizzas ready to go into the pizza oven. The place smells so good. My kids and grandkids will eat very well this week. Thanks for starting this.

DannyC DannyC
Jan '16

Another good slow cooker beef recipe is hot italian beef. Use an eye round or sirloin, some red wine, beef stock, peppers, onions, garlic, and crushed red pepper. Simmer all day long in the slow cooker after searing the meat.

Recipes all over the internet. I threw in some red wine vinegar as well for some tartness. Get some nice sub rolls and some hot gardieniera. Great sandwich. And be sure to dip in the au jus!

MeisterNJ MeisterNJ
Jan '16

MeisterNJ - gardieniera is the same as what my grandparents called "sottaceti", right? Hot pickle stuff, but great for biscotti with fresh mozzarella to calm it down. I may need another slow cooker, since mine is currently in use.

DannyC DannyC
Jan '16

MeisterNJ - Ever sampled the cuisine at the Black Forrest Inn in Stanhope? I have not been there this century, but remember how good it was back in the day. Need a taste reference as sides for your sauerbraten, which turned out delish. Spaetzel and dumplings are one and the same to me, sort of clammy, and prefer potato pancakes (Latkes, spiced German-Jewish style), cause I'm a frying kind of guy. Red cabbage can be combined with apples, pears and red wine as a sweet-and-sour side. The fabulous Black Forest cake at the restaurant is over my head for now, but I will try to make it some time soon. Also, while cooking the chicken cutlets, I splurged on a little veal, sliced it thin myself like the chicken cutlets, and made wiener schnitzel a la Holstein, with roasted red peppers, anchovies, capers and fried egg on top. Works for chicken cutlets as well.

DannyC DannyC
Jan '16

Been going to the Black Forest Inn for 25 years, though I haven't had their sauerbraten in a long time. They have great potato leek soup. Yes, that's how I make the the red cabbage side. And I'm also a fan of potato pancakes, served with a bit of applesauce and sour cream.

As for spaetzle / dumplings they don't have to be clammy. You can crisp them up in a pan with a little butter, being a fry guy. In fact that's how I prepare spätzle.

MeisterNJ MeisterNJ
Jan '16

MeisterNJ - I made your dumplings with croutons, crisped in butter sauce, with rosemary and thyme. They came out great, almost as good as Latkes. Thanks.

DannyC DannyC
Jan '16

Good, glad you like them. Take out the rosemary and I'm sure I'd love them too!

MeisterNJ MeisterNJ
Jan '16

Re: What are your favorite winter recipes

Pretzels!

MeisterNJ MeisterNJ
Jan '16

MeisterNJ - Yes, rosemary may not be needed, but this time it went so well with the sauerbraten, chopped very fine and only 1/2 teaspoon. The kids and grandkids enjoyed "German night". Nice crunch of the croutons in the dumplings. Spaetzel next time.

DannyC DannyC
Jan '16

Thanks Danny C.I am learning all kinds of new recipes. Everyone just keep on going sending recipes in.Any kid friendly ones out there.And where can I find some good italian bread they seem so doughy.

patricia patricia
Jan '16

Did the slow cooker beef stew last night. Paprika seasoned and floured the beef before browning in some garlic and olive oil, added some broth, added more red wine, a little tomato sauce, and some caraway and parsley to the pot. Actually smells terrible in the beginning, like a Sunday morning bar, but most of the wine cooks in, cooks off and the end result is excellent.

Solves the "I hate beef stew" comments every time.

Kid Friendly Comfort Food (a comfort to make that is)
Chili Dogs: put dogs in rolls in 9x13 baking dish. Add chili, onions, cheese. I load em up to the point that it's hard to eat without a knife and fork. Bake at 350 for 15 to 20 minutes watching the cheese to know when to pull. If you can afford it, upgrade to good dogs n rolls at least if not the cheese and chili. It's a cheap meal to begin with. And chili should be bean-less whether you make your own or buy.

Super Burritos: Use the big flour soft tortillas, add your taco meat, cheese, sour cream, tomatoes/salsa/hot sauce (optional) and anything else you feel like. You can put the hot sauce on after serving too. I put multiple sheets of tin foil down first, construct, and then wrap in tin foil. Don't skimp on the cheese and sour cream, that's what makes these good. Should be on the huge side. And don't worry about non-sour-cream eaters, they won't know it's in there. Put in 9x13, bake at 350 about 20 to 25 minutes. It's the baking that makes these nice for kids in the winter. If done right, the shell will be a bit crisp and the contents hot, hot, hot. Put some sauce on top and serve, might want to cut in half for smaller and lighter eaters. And extras go right in the fridge, ready for easy kid nuking. You can skip the tin foil with a covered dish, but not sure if you get the same crispness.

Got me though my first outdoors construction winter. Had one out of a pizza oven each day for lunch. It's the sour cream combining with the melted cheese and taco sauce that makes it tasty.

strangerdanger strangerdanger
Jan '16

patricia - Try French baguettes instead of Italian bread. Crispy, airy, much less doughy, available anywhere, and one of the easiest breads to bake yourself. For example, http://allrecipes.com/recipe/7028/french-baguettes/.

DannyC DannyC
Jan '16

I've used this reciped a few times this winter. The recipe doesnt indicate exactly how much salt to add. I started with 1 teaspoon of Kosher. I used AP flour, also not stated in the recipe which type if flour to use.
It's a very easy recipe, you just need to plan ahead.
I even substituted 25% of whole wheat for the white and it was fantastic.
http://www.lecreuset.com/dutch-oven-bread

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Jan '16

Just went to ShopRite bought english muffins cheese and sauce making english muffin pizzas for the kids .Throw some black olive pepperoni and dinner is done.Put them in oven.

patricia patricia
Jan '16

3wbdwnj - Looks like fine bread, especially with your whole wheat flour substitution. Got to try it. Yet another use for the Dutch oven.

DannyC DannyC
Jan '16

Indeed! The hardest part is holding it over the sink to clean it afterwards! It weighs a ton.

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Jan '16

Gotta go get that dutch oven this week.I am looking for the perfect spaghetti sauce , Something tells me DannyC you have one. Anyone else let me in on a recipe.

patricia patricia
Jan '16

Patricia, with meat or without?

Lady Jayne Lady Jayne
Jan '16

3wbdwnj - Dutch oven maintenance is not that hard - Set pot down in the sink, add boiling hot water and soap, let soak for an hour, scrape clean with a wire brush, dry and re-season with oil, essential to maintain the pot. It is such a worthwhile kitchen tool.

DannyC DannyC
Jan '16

Lady Jayne Im going to use meatballs some pork and some sausage.I wanna smell that sauce cooking all day.

patricia patricia
Jan '16

patricia - Thursday night is Italian night. Looking forward to seeing other posters' ideas before I submit mine (my grandparents'). Maybe I can learn something from them as I already have.

DannyC DannyC
Jan '16

Strangerdanger......

Mac and cheese with eggs? Do they end up scrambled?

Tidy
Jan '16

patricia - Ah, what the heck - here is a meatball recipe, with braciole and tomato sauce to follow.

MEATBALLS

Servings:
36 - 40 meatballs

Ingredients:
3 lbs. lean ground beef
1 lb. ground pork
1 cup grated parmesan reggiano cheese
4 tablespoons chopped flat-leaf Italian parsley
1 tablespoon finely minced fresh garlic
3 cups bread crumbs, flavored Italian style
8 eggs

Beat eggs and combine with all other ingredients. Mix to a sticky consistency, add up to one cup water if too dry. Form into 1.5 inch meatballs, place on oiled sheet pan, bake at 450 degrees for 20 minutes, turning after 10 minutes.

DannyC DannyC
Jan '16

No Dutch oven comfort food thread would be complete without the magnificence that is Chicken and Dumplings.

I always use the original Betty Crocker recipe as my base, but usually discard the "stock mirepoix" after cooking the chicken and add frozen green beans, carrots, corn and pearl onions at the end of step 3 to ramp up the veggie quotient. Haven't made it in a few years.... this weekend might be the perfect time.

http://www.bettycrocker.com/recipes/chicken-and-dumplings/5b1d8d91-2e90-4ffd-b165-f5949c2a1112

ianimal ianimal
Jan '16

Dutch Oven bread turns out great. I make it all the time. So easy. I usually make sourdough boules.

MeisterNJ MeisterNJ
Jan '16

I can vouch for MNJ's Dutch oven bread recipe....

ianimal ianimal
Jan '16

This is as authentic as it gets. It's Rao's basic marinara. The San Marzanos are important. If you don't want to hand crush them, use an immersion blender! Make this then add your meat and simmer. You won't be disappointed.

Marinara Sauce

Makes approximately 2 cups

"This recipe for marinara sauce is the perfect example
of the secret to great Italian cooking - simplicity."

1/4 cup olive oil
1/2 onion, diced
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 (35-ounce) can imported
San Marzano Italian plum tomatoes, hand-
crushed, with the juice
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
Salt and pepper to taste
4 to 6 fresh basil leaves

Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Sauté the onion until
translucent, about 3 to 4 minutes. Stir in the garlic and sauté until lightly
golden, about 2 minutes. Add the crushed tomatoes and juice and bring
to a boil. Lower the heat and simmer 45 minutes. Season with oregano
and salt and pepper and stir in the basil leaves. Cook for 1 minute more
and serve.

Lady Jayne Lady Jayne
Jan '16

I love chicken and dumplings ianimal. I use Tyler Florence's recipe. Comfort food really doesn't get any better. I know what I'm making for dinner. Have a gallon of stock I made that is suited perfectly for this.

MeisterNJ MeisterNJ
Jan '16

Lady Jayne - You've got it so right! Simmer with browned sausage and meatballs and you have meat flavored sauce and sauce that flavors the meat. Mop it up with the Dutch oven bread shown here! Great food, inexpensive, on my agenda for tomorrow.

DannyC DannyC
Jan '16

I like to make Focaccia to go with my Italian dishes. Comes out so good.

And I've found so many uses for the sourdough boules, from incredible homemade croutons to poached egg on toast. Just tastes so much better than store bought bread.

MeisterNJ MeisterNJ
Jan '16

MeisterNJ - With bread at $4-5+ per loaf for tasteless junk, loaded with all kinds of things that are bad for your health, baking is the way to go. Ever made pizza fritta, either savory with tomato sauce, cheese and basil, or with honey and powdered sugar for desert?

DannyC DannyC
Jan '16

My husband just made a dutch oven bread this weekend. He says he will be making it that way a lot more often. It was really easy. We have a ceramic coated dutch oven. Makes clean up a breeze but would a all cast iron be better for some things or does it really not matter much?

jrsemom jrsemom
Jan '16

For mac n cheese I make a milk and egg batter to combine with the mac n cheese so yeah, very scrambled. One box mac ends up making two 8 qt. casseroles.

My meatballs are 2 or three eggs, less bread, stale cubes if I have old bread. I put some diced onion in too. If using fresh garlic you really have to mince it if you want it evenly distributed. I use powder. And then 350 for 44 minutes turning at 22. Pan frying brtter but the iven is so simple.

I invented a speed vege sauce version where I saute onions and peppers until soft, add a can of ollives I have really roughly diced and then add canned sauce, my own or store bought. I swear the olives have the texture of meat and don't scream olive in taste. Kids love it, its fast, cheap, healthy and super and easy.

Jan '16

jrsemom - My Dutch oven is 82 years old, (1934 date stamp), and inherited from my great-grandmother. I am very interested in new technology, since it is a bit of work to keep it seasoned and immune from rust and corrosion. Today's coatings are probably as good or better than the old cast iron. What make and model did your husband purchase? Great bread, right?

DannyC DannyC
Jan '16

Tomorrow Im going out and buying a dutch oven.Crock pot going in the closet.Im glad I started this thread getting all these great recipes.Making steak Saturday nite baked potatoe and vegies and a nice salad.How about some marinade recipes for steak.Oh almost forgot some fried onions and mushrooms,for that steak.

patricia patricia
Jan '16

For Dutch ovens, Look at the enamel coated cast iron by Lodge-the same company that makes the cast iron frying pans. Le Creuset is probably the best you could buy but is very expensive. We are very happy with the quality of Lodge.
http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=lodge+enameled+cast+iron&tag=hydsma-20&index=aps&hvadid=36681815662&hvpos=1t1&hvexid=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=4054841537558956511&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=b&hvdev=m&ref=pd_sl_8zsc6hcqss_b

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Jan '16

There is a whole, very long, thread on HL from a few years ago that discussed dutch ovens in more detail than most people would like to think about. ;-)

Just do a Forum Search.

patricia - Finely minced garlic, lemon juice and extra virgin olive oil, marinated four hours at least. Cheaper cuts of steak, such as hanger steak, will also work, but my favorite is New York strip. Grill it, making cross hatched marks, to medium rare or whatever cooking level you like. Caramelize onions, mushrooms with herbs like rosemary and thyme in butter. Twice-baked potatoes: bake one hour, scoop out whites to within 3/8 inch of the skin, combine with one beaten egg, cheddar and broccoli, stuff again, put more cheese on top, and crisp under the broiler, but be careful not to burn. Grilled veggies of almost any kind are always good. Caesar salad. Cabernet Sauvignon. All done without a Dutch oven. Anxiously awaiting jrsemom's recommendation.

DannyC DannyC
Jan '16

DannyC, it's a Food Network brand. It works nicely for us. I believe this is the one we have.

http://www.amazon.com/Food-Network-Quart-Enamel-Dutch/dp/B00DZQEZY8/ref=sr_1_3?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1453942586&sr=1-3&keywords=food+network+dutch+oven

jrsemom jrsemom
Jan '16

Nice looking bread jrsemom. Enjoy it! Best when it's right out of the oven.

For my meatballs I also use diced onion, softened in a pan first. And I use both fresh minced garlic and powder. I brown them in a cast iron pan and then throw the whole thing in the oven but do sometimes skip the browning.

MeisterNJ MeisterNJ
Jan '16

With the caveat that I would NEVER put anything other than olive oil and kosher salt on a good steak before cooking it, the following is a fantastic marinade for skirt steak or London broil...

1/3 cup soy sauce
1/2 cup olive oil
1/3 cup fresh lemon juice
1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
1 1/2 tablespoons garlic powder
3 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
1 1/2 tablespoons chopped parsley
1 teaspoon ground white pepper
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 tablespoon minced garlic
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard

I take a fork and tenderize the hell out of both sides of the London broil, then put it in a vacuum bag and pour the well mixed marinade on top and suck the air out of it. Put it in the fridge for 8 hours, flipping at least once and grill on high 8 minutes per side for medium. Let rest 10 minutes and slice thin on the bias... It's always a big hit.

ianimal ianimal
Jan '16

Takes a brave man to grill in the dead of winter :>)

I do the same thing in the summer with more of an oil and vinegar mix. I will give yours a try. And yes, its the forking that really seals the dsal.

Jan '16

ianimal - Looks like a very tasty marinade for skirt steak and London broil. How do you make sautéed onions and mushrooms to top it off?

DannyC DannyC
Jan '16

I melt butter add some olive oil get mushrooms slice up onion on med.heat.when their fork tender and lightly browned and still some liquid left I add worcestershire sauce and some garlic and it will thicken.

patricia patricia
Jan '16

Here's my entry for bread in my Le Creuset!

Lady Jayne Lady Jayne
Jan '16

That's a trick question, Danny. I "wouldn't" top it with mushrooms and onions, necessarily. Preferably, I would serve it on a bed of romaine and top it with a little diced tomato, cucumber and red onion salad. Shave a little parmesan reggiano on it and it is just about as perfect as a steak salad can be. But then we're technically into my favorite "summer" recipes, but it's delicious year round.

But if I "were" making mushrooms and onions, my recipe is fairly similar to patricia's. Vidalia onions and Baby Bella mushrooms. Cut the onions in half longitudinally and then slice radially into 1/2" wedges. Heat equal parts butter and olive oil on medium low heat with a pinch of red pepper flake. Let the fat come up to temperature and infuse the heat of the red pepper. Add the onions, season liberally with kosher salt and fresh cracked pepper and a little less liberally with garlic powder. Sweat them down, stirring occasionally, for about 10 minutes. Add the mushrooms, season again. Cook for another 10 minutes. Taste and re-season as necessary. Add some Worcestershire (about half a tablespoon or so) and turn up the heat to medium-high, stirring constantly, for about two minutes to evaporate off any excess liquid. Serve on top of a ribeye or porterhouse... or just eat it with a fork if you want. It really doesn't NEED a steak, lol.

ianimal ianimal
Jan '16

Do that with Portabella mushroom slabs and you won't miss the steak! Now that you can do in the dead of winter.

I skip the onions and sometimes toss some wine in too.

Of course I have started tossing wine in just about everything including the cook.

Worcestershire: yet another reason NJ is the greatest!!! No one can match it no matter how hard they try. And one of the few companies that can not invent another product no matter how hard they try..... Ever try Lea and Perrins White Sauce for Chicken? It came, it went.

Jan '16

Steak pizzaiola. Sautee red peppers with one of the onion/mushroom dishes here. Add fresh plum tomatoes and chopped basil, cooking until soft. Heat one more minute with Worcestershire and sliced steak. Of course, serve with fresh Dutch oven bread. Thanks for all your recipe ideas everyone.

DannyC DannyC
Jan '16

How about lasagna or baked ziti - Italian comfort casseroles.

BAKED ZITI

Servings:
16 as a main dish - 24 as a side dish

Ingredients:
2 lbs. penne or ziti with ridges
3 lbs. ricotta cheese
8 oz. grated mozzarella cheese
1/4 cup grated Locatelli Romano cheese
2 tablespoons chopped flat-leaf Italian parsley
4 eggs
2 quarts tomato sauce

Cook pasta to al dente. Beat eggs and combine with all other ingredients except sauce. In 12 x 16 x 4 inch pan, build casserole in layers. Heavy sauce on bottom, followed by pasta, then cheese mixture. Repeat three times, with heavy sauce on top. Bake at 375 degrees for I hour. Put a knife in the center, and if it comes out clean, the casserole is done. Let stand 15 minutes before serving.

DannyC DannyC
Jan '16

Danny I make baked ziti alot, easy and it goes a long way. I also like to make stuffed shells and stuffed peppers. My ultimate favorite is eggplant parmigiano, but I don't make it very often since it is alot of work with all the breading and frying.

positive positive
Jan '16

positive - oh, please tell me more about your eggplant parmigiano, as my daughter does not eat meat. Can they be formed into eggplant rollatini? I prepare breaded dishes all the time, and got good at keeping one hand clean during prep. Stuffed peppers and stuffed shells also sound great and details would be most appreciated.

DannyC DannyC
Jan '16

Danny -
In my opinion the way I make eggplant parmigiano (which was my mother's way) is the best. Restaurants typically slice the eggplant too thin, and bread it too heavily in breadcrumbs.
My way is to slice it thick -- like 3/4" or 1 inch thick -- moisten the slice with water (not egg) and dredge in flour only. I put a thin layer of oil in the frying pan and fry on each side. This way not too much oil is absorbed. The result is an eggplant parmegiano dish that tastes like eggplant and not breadcrumbs.

happiest girl
Jan '16

Peeled eggplant, 1/4 thick, not too thin but not thick
Bread crumbs
Eggs
Milk
Parsley
Oregano
Salt
Pepper
Pecorino Romano cheese
Mozzarella
Olive oil
Sauce/gravy

Soak eggplant slices in cold salted water for 30-40 minutes (helps reduce bitterness)
Pat with a paper towel to remove excess water
Scramble eggs, milk, salt and pepper in a bowl
Sift parsely, oregano, salt, pepper, Pecorino Romano into the bread crumbs
Dip eggplant into the egg
Dip and coat in the bread crumbs
Fry slices in hot olive oil for about 5 minutes
Remove n place on paper towels
Preheat oven to 350
Spread sauce/gravy (I grew up calling it gravy lol.) on the bottom of baking dish
Layer eggplant slices:
1) gravy/sauce
2) Pecorino
3) mozzarella
Cover and bake until bubbly.

I like to serve it either with angel hair or linguini.

positive positive
Jan '16

Oh forgot about your question about the rollatini. Just do the first steps I mentioned; soaking, breading and frying. I put three egg yolks, parsley, salt and pepper in the ricotta, mix it well. Add a tablespoon to the center of the eggplant, fold, a toothpick would help keep it in place (I use tooth picks for manicotti all the time). Spread the sauce on the bottom of the baking dish and place the rollatini in the dish topped with sauce Pecorino and mozzarella if you wish.

positive positive
Jan '16

Danny -
For your vegetarian daughter, you can also make stuffed eggplant. Super easy.
Slice eggplant lengthwise and remove most of flesh --- leave a thin layer so shell does not break.
Chop the eggplant. Saute onions, garlic, and any other vegetables she likes (some mushrooms, or some chopped red peppers, etc) Add eggplant and continue to saute until cooked through.
To this you can add some cooked grain (rice, kasha, bulgar, etc) You can add chopped walnuts, or pine nuts if you like ... and some diced canned tomatoes (or fresh in season) You can even add tomato sauce. Mix in some cheese if desired ....
Fill eggplant shells and top with cheese if desired. Bake at 375 about 1/2hr.

happiest girl
Jan '16

DannyC - Stuffed peppers are easy. Take 2 cups boiled rice, a half pound of ground turkey, a half cup of Italian bread crumbs, a little chopped parsley, and knead them all together. Stuff into the peppers with the seeds cleaned out, top with a bit more bread crumbs. Put in a roasting pan with 1/2 cup white wine on the bottom. In the oven at 350 for about 20 mins. Pull them out of the oven and top with gravy and a teaspoon of paprika.

positive and happiest girl - Wow, two ideas for eggplant dishes that my daughter should enjoy. Both different, and trying them both. Thanks.

DannyC DannyC
Jan '16

Very creative recipes happiest. I've no doubt I will be using them soon since my daughter decided to go vegan again. Lol. Thanks.

positive positive
Jan '16

Can someone enlighten me: is it ok to use spray olive oil Pam on your cast iron skillet, instead of the method I learned which is rubbing olive oil into it by hand?

Thanks in advance.

Rebecka Rebecka
Jan '16

If you peel and slice the eggplant thick, then salt and layer in a colander, cover with a plate, put a weight on top, a plate underneath, and fridge overnight - the water will come out of the eggplant, and it will be much less bitter. Also will not soak up oil when fried.

Been doing it this way for years - give it a try!

Im having company next week Im looking for some ideas on desserts.I practiced last week on a cheesecake it always winds up with cracks.This time it came out perfect, when it was done I shut the oven off and didnt open door and left it in there for a while.Im not the greatest at baking so some easy recipes would be nice.

l

patricia patricia
Jan '16

Meat loaf

1.5 lbs ground beef (85-15 is best but 80-20 will do)
1 lb ground pork
1 carrot, diced
1 celery stalk, diced
1 small onion diced
1.5 cups bread crumbs
2 eggs
small can Tomato paste
1-1/2 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1 teaspoon Hot sauce
1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
Salt, pepper, garlic powder, crushed red pepper (eyeballed)
1 cup Parmesan cheese
8 oz shredded cheddar

Sauté onion, celery and carrot in olive oil until soft. Mix with all other ingredients.

Line a cookie sheet with foil and place a cooling rack on top. Line the cooling rack with 8-10 strips of bacon. Place meat mixture in the middle and hand form into a loaf shape. Wrap the bacon around the loaf, using additional as necessary to get complete coverage.

Bake at 350 until interior temp = 160 degrees (about an hour)

ianimal ianimal
Jan '16

patricia - You can search for specific recipes if you need them, but some easy ideas are fried bananas, hot maple syrup over ice cream, or a coffee or hot chocolate ice cream float. All easy with no baking involved.

This is one of my favorites, classic chicken and dumplings. I often substitute bone in chicken breasts for the whole chicken as I prefer white meat and it's so much easier to skin and bone. It's simple and delicious!

• 1 5 lb. chicken
• 1 tsp. salt
• 1 tsp. onion powder
• 1 tbsp. flour
• 1/3 cup milk
• 1 1/3 cup flour
• 2 tsp. baking powder
• 1 tsp. chopped parsley
• 1/2 tsp salt
• 2/3 cup milk
• 2 Tbsp. vegetable oil
• Directions
• Place chicken in covered pot. Add salt, onion powder, and 3 cups water. Bring to a boil then simmer covered 2.5 hours. Skim fat from broth, remove, skin and bone chicken. Return broth to a boil. Shake flour and milk in a covered jar and add to broth. Cook and stir until slightly thickened. Mix flour, salt, baking powder and parsly. Mix oil and milk and add to dry ingredients. Stir gently and do not overmix. Drop by spoonfuls on top of simmering gravy. Cook uncovered 10 minutes then cover and cook 10 more minutes. Place chicken meat in a bowl. Top with gravy and dumplings.

Lady Jayne Lady Jayne
Jan '16

Then there's always the "Porterhouse-steak-accompanied-with-Lincoln-County-Process-Tennessee-Whiskey" lunch that really hits the spot on a cold day.

Before...

ianimal ianimal
Jan '16

... and the aftermath.

ianimal ianimal
Jan '16

MAN: doesn't it turn brown in the air?

Iman: funny I was thinking meatloaf too:

2 lbs. meatloaf mix (ground beef, pork, veal) or just use ground beef
4 – 8 oz. 4-cheese shredded pizza cheese (can use mozzarella but not as good)
1/2 to 1 jar pasta sauce
¾ cup bread crumbs, seasoned or not, or corn flakes or dried bread (use 1 ½ cups)
2 eggs.
1 package Onion Soup Mix
Big handful each for: chopped onions, peppers, and celery

Sauce in or on top for last 15 minutes. Or even half in, half on top. Bake at 350 for 50 - 60 minutes. I sometimes skip or lower the sauce and use 1/2 package of the soup.

Funny thing is I started adding cheese to cut costs and stretch the beef but then I did the math and even at $1.99 for 8oz, that's $4 a pound for the cheese...... I don't know about yours Iman, but the cheese becomes virtual and disappears. It's a texture thing.

Jan '16

ianimal - How much did that lunch cost, not counting the John Daniel's? Where do you get porterhouse steak, and what grade, choice or prime? Salivating.

DannyC DannyC
Jan '16

DannyC, I believe that was a 24-ounce USDA Choice Certified Angus Beef porterhouse steak that I bought at the Greenwich Shop Rite. I believe it was on sale at the time for $6.99 a pound, so it cost roughly $10.50.

You would be hard-pressed to find USDA Prime steaks anywhere, let alone at the supermarket, as I hear that 95% of them are reserved for high-end steakhouses. I've heard rumors that Costco, of all places, occasionally has Prime grade beef, but I've never been there so I couldn't say.

ianimal ianimal
Jan '16

ianimal - Thanks, not a bad deal, good quality, and at any steak place it would cost $30+ for a 24 oz. How did you prepare it? Meatloaf recipes also look really good. But patricia is looking for desert ideas, and so am I.

DannyC DannyC
Jan '16

patricia,

A delicious desert that many people have enjoyed: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/bananas-foster-recipe.html
Breyer's vanilla bean ice cream with caramel sauce on the side. You can also make French toast to put under everything, making a breakfast dish. For patriotic red-white-and-blue, add some sliced strawberries and blueberries.

DannyC DannyC
Jan '16

ianimal, Wegman's in Nazareth had Prime cuts of beef around Christmas-time. They may still carry it now. I bought 4 USDA Prime Filet Mignons for Christmas and they were, hands down, the best I've ever had.

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Jan '16

3wbdwnj, I was there an hour ago. They don't have any today. They do have 80-20 for $2.69 and Choice NY Strips for $6.99 though (-;

ianimal ianimal
Jan '16

I have a pretty decent recipe for macaroni n cheese but something is missing. I'd appreciate some input.

I make a roux with flour, salt, pepper, milk, cheddar, pepper jack, velveeta and parm.

I saute crushed seasoned croutons in butter.

Mix the roux, shredded cheese and lots of sour cream in with the rotini (cork screw) macaroni.

Layer in the baking dish and top with croutons and continue to layer

Top with more cheese and croutons and than bake at 350 until bubbly.

It's good but I think it could be better.

positive positive
Jan '16

positive - I think you've got what sounds like a good creamy part to it. (although I don't care for velveeta because of the oil content) But I think you're missing just a bit of tang. Have you considered topping with sriracha? It'll really bring out the pepper jack, pepper and cheese is very classic. If that's a bit too much heat, consider sprinkling paprika on top. A touch of garlic may help as well.

Positive....how about a bit of dry mustard in with the dry ingredients as you make your roux? Gives a nice tang, as GC put it.

Mom of 1&1 Mom of 1&1
Jan '16

Positive, you don't mention adding an equal amount of butter (by volume) to the flour in order to make your roux. If you're missing that, adding it would be a distinct improvement (-;

As for the bechamel, I agree with GC... Velveeta is convenient in that it melts smoothly without milk. What makes that possible also makes it a lousy constituent to a real cheese sauce.

A little hot sauce might help, but I would recommend Frank's over Sriracha. Just a personal preference when it comes to Mac and cheese. I also recommend drizzling olive oil over a medium sized shallot and roasting it for 20 minutes in aluminum foil st 350 degrees. Rough chop and add to the bechamel.

The other variable is the croutons. If they're commercially mass produced, who knows the oil and salt content in them? Use Panko bread crumbs mixed with melted butter as the topping.

Last is the choice of pasta. Rotini is ok for garlic and oil or even a Velveeta cheese sauce. But for a baked mac and cheese, I would highly recommend using either elbow macaroni or penne. I just think the narrow grooves in the rotini work against the thick richness of the cheese sauce in this case. Also, the corkscrew shape doesn't have the structural integrity to hold up to a thick sauce. Do you find that the pasta tends to break under the weight of the thick sauce?

I'd also ditch the sour cream, just because I can't think of a purpose that it's serving. But maybe I'm wrong and it's the thing that's missing from my own Mac and cheese, lol.

ianimal ianimal
Jan '16

Thanks guys. I'm going to try the panko, butter in the roux, penne, paprika, garlic, shallots and mustard. I'm also considering sautéed red peppers and some diced bacon.

Ian, I'm a big sour cream enthusiast. The sour cream adds a bit of tang and a creamy texture. I will give up the rolatini but I'm not ready to give up the sour cream. Lol.

positive positive
Jan '16

How about some desert ideas?. Searching Black Forest cake for our next German night, I even saw some that use slow cookers. Anyone made them?

DannyC DannyC
Jan '16

I wouldn't use sour cream either. (or veleveeta, which along with oil has gelatin .... ugh)
If you hit it the sauce with nutmeg (careful - not too much) it will add a good undertone.

happiest girl
Jan '16

Ian, forgot to mention..you sold me on your meatloaf pic. I bought the ingredients tonight and I plan on making it tomorrow. Will let you know how it turns out.

positive positive
Jan '16

DannyC - Schwarzwälderkisrchtorte is very time consuming. Besides making cake you need to soak in the kirsch, mix up the whipped cream mixture, and shave the chocolate. Too much for me. All I can suggest there is what ever you do, don't use maraschino's. Hate that.

On the other hand, I'll gladly suggest gingerbread for a winter German night. Roll it out, use large cookie cutters of various designs. Make two of everything, and before you but them in the oven flip one of each pair over. After baking, cool, and then take confectioner sugar and a touch of lemon juice mixed together. Ice one of the pair and put it together with other. Decorate on top anyway you like. Gingerbread sandwiches.

positive - I'd be careful of adding too many of those things all at once. You can over do it. Some are better pairings than others. Bacon bits can be great but then I'd be careful with using garlic or mustard. You'd drown out the smoky taste. But some ancho or chipotle would go great with the bacon. If you like the mustard idea, then the red roast peppers are a good match.

I'll also disagree with ianimal on the rotini. The sour cream is a thicker alternative to adding more milk. It helps to keep the cheese sauce creamy without going thin. Rotini are good at holding the sauce so you get cheese with the pasta, not pasta and sauce separate.

I made chocolate caramel brownies.First time I made them in a glass dish didnt cook enough this time I used a metal pan perfect.
1/4ounce caramels
1/2cup of evaporated milk
1pk.german choc.cake mix
1/3evaporated milk
3/4c butter melted
1/4chop pecans
2cmilk choc chips
Place caramels in microwave bowl stir in 1/2c evaporarted milk.Heat and stir until melted.Preheat oven 350.Use a greased pan 9x13.Mix cake mix 1/3 evap milk melted butter chopped pecans.Place 1/2 batter in pan bake for about 8 mins.Place remaining batter in fridge.Remove batter from oven sprinkle choc chips on top,drizzle caramel sauce over choc chips.Remove brownie mix from fridge.Using a teaspoon make small balls with batter and smash flat.Place on top of caramel sauce until top is covered.Carefully.Bake for about 20mins.Remove and cool.

patricia patricia
Jan '16

That sounds delicious, patricia!

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Jan '16

They were so good they are gone.The kids and hubby found them lastnite I wanted to send a picture of them I wasnt quick enough.You can use semi choc chips or milk choc chips what ever you like better.I will be making these for my party and cheesecake but I need a few more desserts.Cupcakes for the kids of course.I like putting vanilla ice cream on the brownies,

patricia patricia
Jan '16

Please bake another batch, and post when they are ready along with your home address. ;-)

Rebecka Rebecka
Jan '16

patricia - Look at what you started. I am compiling this entire thread into a recipe booklet, available to all contributors. Great resource. Don't stop now.

DannyC DannyC
Jan '16

Thanks DannyC.But it seems to be slowing down now not to many recipes are coming in as they were.I know theres alot of great cooks out there.Come on everybody.I need some new ideas.Youre gonna dedicate the booklet to me right Danny.lol

patricia patricia
Jan '16

Okay I have no recipe to offer but I love steak pie that my SIL from Scotland made! Yum!

ianimal's meatloaf is in the oven. Lol. I'll try to get a pic when it's done. I have a feeling it's going to be delicious.

positive positive
Jan '16

Simple and delicious.

Duncan Hines chocolate cake mix
4 ripe sliced bananas
1 cup of sliced ripe strawberries
Lots of whipped cream
Box of instant pudding (whatever flavor you like)
1/2 cup of chocolate sauce or chocolate syrup

1) make pudding
2) add 1/2 into cake batter
3) divide batter..pour into two cake pans
4) when cakes are cooled, spread remainder of pudding on top of just one cake and add bananas and strawberries
5) place the other cake on top
6) spread or spray whipped cream all over cake
7) add the rest of fruit on top and drizzle with chocolate sauce

As you can see I cheat.. boxed cake mix, Hershey's syrup and canned whipped cream. Lol.

I'm not much of a baker...

positive positive
Jan '16

patricia - More desert ideas would be nice, especially "Schwarzwälder Kisrchtorte" or "Black Forest Cake". There are many ideas online, but I do not know which one to try. None compares with the fabulous cake at the Black Forest Inn in Stanhope, but this one looks promising:
http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/black-forest-cake-51125600
Please help out, all of you talented bakers out there.

DannyC DannyC
Jan '16

positive - I got your post after mine - sounds delish! I love deserts with fruit. And pudding, yes! "Cheating" is always allowed and sometimes encouraged. Thanks.

DannyC DannyC
Jan '16

The meatloaf was a big hit. I will be making it like this from now on. Not a great picture, looks much better in person. Lol

positive positive
Jan '16

OK, how about moving on to seafood, both shellfish and fresh fish dishes? I suspect there are many ideas for this, besides bouillabaisse from Newark's Iron Bound section and my grandpa's zuppa di pesce. Breaded tilapia is light and easy. Trout almandine? Grilled salmon steak with dill?

DannyC DannyC
Jan '16

I love catfish and it's a fish I can afford. Any catfish recipes out there?

positive positive
Jan '16

One of my favorite seafood recipes:

Shrimp and Goat Cheese Grits

Ingredients:
1 cup heavy cream
1 Tablespoon unsalted butter
1/2 cup corn grits
1 Tablespoon olive oil (use a good one)
2 Tablespoons goat cheese
kosher salt and pepper
2 teaspoons sriracha chili sauce
1 Tablespoon Butter
1/2 pound shrimp, peeled and deveined (about 10 to 12 shrimp)
2 teaspoons dijon mustard
fresh parsley, chopped
cooked bacon, chopped (optional)

DIRECTIONS:

Prep the butter (mix buttter with the sriracha chili sauce in a small bowl set aside)

Peel and devein the shrimp, add dijon mustard to shrimp and toss to coat.

GOAT CHEESE GRITS
Add cream, 1 cup water and butter to a small saucepan and bring to boil.
Add grits, lower heat to medium and cook until grits are tender, about 8 to 9 minutes (be sure to whisk occasionally so that don't stick and cook evenly).
Turn off heat. Add olive oil and goat cheese and mix. Season with salt and pepper. Remove saucepan from heat.

COOK THE SHRIMP

Heat a cast iron skillet on medium high for 3 to 4 minutes. Add shrimp to skillet and cook for about 3 to 4 minutes on each side, until shrimp is cooked. After turning shrimp, brush sriracha butter mixture onto the shrimp.

Add grits to a soup bowl, top with shrimp, parsley and bacon.

JrzyGirl88 JrzyGirl88
Jan '16

This is one of my favorite (and very simple) recipes for boneless beef short ribs from Cook's Illustrated:

Searing not necessary and the aroma is intoxicating as the beef braises!

CHINESE BRAISED BEEF

1 1/2 Tbs unflavored gelatin
2 1/2 C water
1/2 C dry sherry
1/3 C soy sauce
2 Tbs hoisin sauce
2 Tbs molasses
3 scallion, white and green parts separated, green parts sliced thin on bias
1 (2-in) piece of ginger, peeled, halved lengthwise and crushed
1 1/2 tsp five-spice powder
1 tsp red pepper flakes
3 lbs boneless beef short ribs, trimmed and cut into 4-in lengths
1 tsp cornstarch

1. Sprinkle gelatin over 2 1/2 C water in Dutch oven an let sit until gelatin softens, about 5 min. Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat to 300.

2. Heat softenend gelatin over medium hear until melted, 2-3 minutes. Stir in next 9 ingredients, then beef and bring to simmer. Cover tightly with aluminum foil, then lid. Transfer to oven and cook until tender 2-2 1/2 hrs stirring halfway through.

3. Transfer beef to cutting board and strain sauce thru fine-mesh strainer and into fat separator. Return defatted liquid to pot and cook liquid until thickened and reduced to 1 cup, about 20 minutes.

4. While sauce reduces, break beef into 1 inch pieces. Whisk cornstarch and 1 Tbs water and add to reduced mixture. Cook until sauce is thickened slightly, about 1 minute. Return beef to sauce and stir to coat and heated through. Serve with green scallions on top.

Can serve with rice (or other grain) and steamed vegetables for a complete meal.

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Jan '16

positive:
Many catfish ideas are here:
http://www.foodnetwork.com/topics/catfish.html

JrzyGirl88:
Sounds tasty, (possibly replacing goat cheese with ricotta and mozzarella?) or just grits alone. What size shrimp and where do you buy them on the cheap?

DannyC DannyC
Jan '16

3wbdwnj,

I do not like most Chinese food, but this dish sounds like one I must try. Searing beef is always necessary, just for the smell alone. Good selection of ingredients and cooking methodology. The beef just falls off the bone, right? This sounds so good. With long-grain brown rice and grilled veggies, using your sauce on top. Thanks.

DannyC DannyC
Jan '16

patricia - Still happening, with even better recipe ideas. Yes, the compiled recipe booklet will be dedicated to you, but distributed to everyone who submitted an idea.

DannyC DannyC
Jan '16

The only cheese I personally would substitute would be a cheddar variation, but that is my personal preference. I think with the spice of the shrimp you need something with a little bite to it. I use Colossal size shrimp, I like the Seafood Department at ShopRite in Byram, Sonny's in Little Ferry and Denville Seafood.

JrzyGirl88 JrzyGirl88
Jan '16

Danny yep, trust me on the anti-sear. And this is nothing like the Chinese at your local take out. Despite using boneless ribs (so I am not paying for the weight of the bone), they do turn out very tender and the addition of gelatin provides for a beautifully glossy sauce at the end.

We left the house and went snowshoeing because the aroma was driving us all insane!

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Jan '16

3wdbwnj - An excuse to get outside, only to come back to great food? Hope you had a great day. Still convinced that beef must always be seared, but fascinated with your boneless beef short ribs recipe.

JrzyGirl88 - Not to sound too cheap, but what did you spend for Colossal shrimp?

DannyC DannyC
Jan '16

And if you like that recipe, DannyC, I have another, also by Cook's Illustrated for Shredded Beef Tacos (Carne Deshebrada). The only thing I would substitute would be flour tortillas for corn tortillas, per their recipe. Same cut of beef, same basic technique, different flavors/outcome, same delicious beefy goodness.

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Jan '16

the finished dish, DannyC ---->

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Jan '16

3wbdwnj - Oh, that looks so good. What was your address again? I'll be right over for a slice before it gets cool!

DannyC DannyC
Jan '16

Sorry Danny, I don't really pay attention to prices when I'm making some thing specific, I just buy it. That is just the size I have used because the recipe calls for 1/2 pound (10 to 12 shrimp) you could use whatever size you wanted as long as it equaled half a pound I suppose. I'm sure like every thing the cost would vary according to the seasonal market, case in point, it is winter so Short Ribs are at a premium (both with the bone or boneless).

JrzyGirl88 JrzyGirl88
Jan '16

3wbdwnj, my mouth is watering just looking at your pic!

positive positive
Jan '16

Too bad there isn't a scratch n sniff app. It was yummy!

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Jan '16

I have to say everyone this has been great for me.I been here now for 2yrs.now.We never had a forum to write in.People are so nice here . And its nice that everyone writes in about things to talk about.It seems like the same people write in and its great.Its like we have our own little club here.I really enjoy this where im getting some new recipes and Im gonna try alot of them out.
Any ideas on side dishes?

patricia patricia
Feb '16

DannyC - Although I originally put it on the thread about summer pot luck recipes, I mentioned onion pie more in passing because it's closer to a hot winter dish. I'd prefer that far more than throwing in those peas. Particularly from a can.

http://www.hackettstownlife.com/forum/624960#t624975

Peas with onions: Sauté sliced sweet Vidalia onions in olive oil with salt and pepper until translucent. Add Le Sueur baby peas, preferably 50% lower salt, and sauté three more minutes. Great with garlic mashed potatoes and any meat entre.

DannyC DannyC
Feb '16

GC - What a wealth of ideas here. Thanks.

DannyC DannyC
Feb '16

DannyC - Just use the Forum Search at the top of the Forum page. There are already hundreds of cooking threads out there.

Antipasto! Roll up ham, genoa salami and provolone, and slice to 1/2 inch thick. Add fresh mozzarella balls, sliced plum tomatoes, roasted red peppers, artichoke hearts, calamari olives, romaine lettuce, hard boiled eggs, and anything else that suits your fancy, including seafood such as shrimp, crab and lobster. Your choice of balsamic or red wine vinegar with extra virgin olive oil dressing, and grated parmesan reggiano cheese on top. Can't go wrong.

DannyC DannyC
Feb '16

Veggie on Garlic Bread
1/8c olive oil
1garlic clove
1med eggplant cubed
1 zucchini cubed
1med tomato peeled and chopped
2tsp oregano
2tsp basil
1 french bread
4tsp garlic powder
6tsp butter soften
1tsp salt
Put olive oil and garlic in large pan.Fry till nice and brown.Add eggplant and zucchinni fry
till nice and tender.Add tomatoe chunks stir until tomato plumps.Mix salt oregano and basil.Stir mixture over heat for 2min.Remove from pan let cool.Preheat oven 325.Slice bread in half or slices.Put garlic and butter evenly over each piece.Put on middle rack in oven.Nice and crispy.Spread mixture on top.You can even do toasted pita triangles.Tried it out my daughter loves it.

patricia patricia
Feb '16

patricia - Great garlic bread recipe. Sautéed zucchini and eggplant, too! Love the sweet flavor of zucchini. Use home baked French baguettes, sliced and browned to make finger food a la bruschetta? My vegan daughter will enjoy this. Making it for Super Bowl Sunday as well (with other dishes).

DannyC DannyC
Feb '16

You people are bringing back memories. I remember saving bacon fat, pies with Crisco, butter on everything, and lots of Icing on the cake and the more fat on the meat the better.
Then after my wife passed away, I had to learn to cook. Thats was after a triple by pass.
I used to live to eat. Now I eat to live. I made a big pot of stew today. No recipe, but all fat cut off and low salt and no butter. It have everything in it to make it very nourishing. this pot is great Some things I make are rated 5 stars and other are not worthy of a diner. ENJOY.
(Last year, 23 years later I had a artery's check and all were clean.)

Old Gent Old Gent
Feb '16

Congratulations, Old Gent - From what I understand, olive oil, as mono-saturated, is one of the most healthy oils you can cook with, and extra virgin is the most flavorful, but with the lowest smoke point. Tell me more about your stew...sounds really good.

DannyC DannyC
Feb '16

Tonight's dinner, cheesy cheesy stuffed shells. Stuffed with ricotta and topped with marinara sauce, parmigiano and loads of mozzarella.

positive positive
Feb '16

I do use Olive oil. I use California Ranch. I read one place that it was voted the best of American oils. Before that I read in another place all about the gimmicks they use and the conclusion was to use California as the goverment more than likely to at least have some inspections as to grade. I only use butter in mashed potatoes Nothing takes the place of butter in them.I have been using Smart Balance Original since it came on the market for non cooking use. Now I prefer it over Butter.
2 lbs of stew beef browned in the cast iron frying pan. Pour off fat and de glaze pan with red wine. In pot 3 med onions in olive oil heat up
I buy (Our Own) soup mix in shoprite. It has all the parsley Thyme and okra Turnip ect. 32 oz beef broth, a jar of Bistro Aub Jus 1 hole garlic chopped. along with the greens. one section of Celery cut about 3/8 About 8 carrots cut about 1/4", 3/4 of the reg package of mushrooms. Lastly half a package of Pic Sweet peas near the end. About 1/2 teaspoon salt and almost 1 tea spoon of black pepper. I cook about 6 or 7 small potatoes on the side cut in large pieces. because its too easy to over cook them in the stew.I put the in at the end That was my day with a lot of sit downs when the back demanded it. Now put it all in container and freeze.

Old Gent Old Gent
Feb '16

Sounds delicious Old Gent, if you like zucchini that might be another vegetable to add towards the end. Adds such a nice flavor.

Do you soak it up with Italian or French bread?

positive positive
Feb '16

No I am not a zucchini friend. I forgot to add 5 bay leaves since I just picked one out., and a little Wondra flower to thicken it up. 6 meals in the freezer. I eat very little bread
Once in while Italian bread but there is very little liquid since I thicken it,and it sticks to the food.

Old Gent Old Gent
Feb '16

Old Gent - Awesome stew, and 6 healthy meals! Thanks.

DannyC DannyC
Feb '16

Easy Italian Chicken
4 boneless skinless chicken breast
8ounces of sliced mushrooms
1med.green bell pepper chopped
1med. zucchini diced
1med.onion chopped
1 jar(26ounce)pasta sauce or your own
Hot cooked pasta
Combine all ingredients except pasta in crock pot.cover.Low to 6 to 8 hours
until chicken is tender.
Serve over pasta.

patricia patricia
Feb '16

Chicken cacciatore

ianimal ianimal
Feb '16

Great recipes! I love soup in the fall & winter! How about favorite soup recipes?
One of my favorite is Italian sausage, kale & cannellini soup.
5 links sweet sausage (or hot) cut in chunks (I buy chopped sausage sometimes)
1 lge sweet onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, diced
1 lb fresh kale, washed & chopped
1 35 Oz can Italian tomatoes
1 15.5 can cannellini beans
1 qt chicken stock
Preheat lg pot. Drizzle with oil & brown sausage.
Add onion & garlic until tender.
Add kale, chicken stock, beans & tomatoes.
Cook until greens have wilted .. add more stock if needed.
Enjoy!

ianimal that looks so good! What's your recipe?

positive positive
Feb '16

ianimal - Your chicken cacciatore is a really good looking dish. Your ingredients and prep instructions would be most appreciated. Also, what do you like to serve it with?

DannyC DannyC
Feb '16

I use bone-in thighs. Coat with flour seasoned with salt, pepper, garlic powder, paprika and cayenne. Brown on both sides in olive oil and set aside on a plate, about 5 minutes per side in batches, if necessary.

Then sauté the vegetables... I use a medium onion, and a green, red, yellow, and orange bell pepper for color, but you can use all green... they pretty much taste the same and they're a lot cheaper, lol.

ianimal ianimal
Feb '16

Once the peppers and onion have worked down on medium heat for 5-10 minutes (with salt, pepper and a tablespoon of Italian seasoning and a bay leaf), add 8 ounces of sliced mushrooms and let them cook for an additional 5 minutes. Then add 1/2 a cup of white wine to deglaze the bottom and then add a large can of crushed tomatoes. Stir in to combine and taste, reseasoning as necessary. Bring up to a simmer, stir and place the chicken back in the dutch oven, making sure the skin stays out of the sauce. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 40 minutes.

Personally, I'll just eat the chicken covered with the veggies, but my wife likes spaghetti with it.

ianimal ianimal
Feb '16

iris - I'm not big on soups per se, but tend to make some things that can be adapted if you just didn't reduce the liquid content.

This is my previous recipe for Farmer's Market Rissotto:

http://www.hackettstownlife.com/forum/407574#t430188

That morphs into Moore Street Soup if you put it in a crock pot minus the rice. Particularly if you also add leeks from Godlewsky's and don't use as much cheese. I tried it with cilantro instead of parsley and was OK so long as the sausage wasn't strong on spices to begin with. (like Gil's chicken & taragon I wouldn't use anything else)

GC - you've done it again, some beautiful dishes. Making my grandma's fettuccini without a machine. Same dough for her meat-spinach-cheese ravioli, and making that as well.

DannyC DannyC
Feb '16

Ianimal, sounds and looks great. What do you think about boneless/skinless thighs? Would it not be as good?

justwondering justwondering
Feb '16

You say boneless, skinless thighs... I think "Paella".

I'm not sure how they would work in cacciatore though. After stewing for 40 minutes, they may start to shred and fall apart. But that's not necessarily a bad thing.

ianimal ianimal
Feb '16

FYI, Weis has chicken thighs, drums and split breasts on sale for 88 cents a pound until tomorrow.

Tracy (mobile) Tracy (mobile)
Feb '16

Made Tyler Florence's beef bourginon last night. Came out great as always. The snow actually helped keep some of the herbs in the garden insulated and fresh. I was able to scrounge up some rosemary and thyme. Some butter herb egg noodles completed the meal. So good on a winter's night.

MeisterNJ MeisterNJ
Feb '16

ianimal - looks like shrimp and sausage in your latest picture, yes? Even better! Like to hear more about "paella", having Spanish (that is, from Spain) neighbors.

DannyC DannyC
Feb '16

MeisterNJ - I kept half of my herbs outside, and the perennials not only survived, but were preserved by the snow, which has since melted...an outdoor refrigerator! Got to try Tyler's beef bourguignon with my grandma's fettuccini, buttered with fresh herbs.

Tracy (mobile) - Running out to Weis at that price. Weis rocks!

DannyC DannyC
Feb '16

Danny, it's more of a "gringo paella" in that it's more meat than seafood. Chicken, Italian sausage, chorizo and shrimp. Shrimp is the only seafood that my wife will eat (-;

ianimal ianimal
Feb '16

I do have a number of vegetables dishes I roll out during the holidays. Warning: there is sweetness involved. First up are Easy Maple Carrots with Pecans, about twelve o’clock in the picture. Key is it’s easy. I don’t use the salt, I use bouillon cubes to compensate. Normally I have used off the shelf syrup but last year used the real thing. It’s much thinner so probably should have lowered the heat way down and simmered quite a bit longer. Or just use store bought.

Ingredients
2 lb. baby carrots or sliced carrots about that size
2 tbsp. butter
¼ tsp. salt
¼ cup maple syrup
¼ cup chopped pecans
¼ cup chicken broth (I use bouillon and how many oz. of water the cube calls for)

Cook
Heat broth, salt to boiling with high heat, add carrots, reduce to medium, cover and cook 1—12 minutes, drain off any extra liquid

Add syrup and butter, cook 3-4 minute, stirring a lot

Sprinkle with pecans

Feb '16

"Batches? We don't need no stinking batches." Yes we do, if they are all as good as the food ideas here. Have fun cooking, everyone.

DannyC DannyC
Feb '16

Next up is Spiced Sweet Potatoes. Probably the most loved. Left of Turkey touching the asparagus. I have used sugarless preserves, it works. I first brush the tops with the sauce and then using a small set of tongs, dunk the potato planks in the pot for the second coating. If I do a third, I just brush the tops again. Be careful for breakage with the tongs though, they can be tender. Also be careful cutting the sweets. They are amazingly hard and the knife can go astray. I often used a hammer to pound the knife through on the first cut. I always used more potatoes, fill my largest baking sheet. There’s plenty of sauce. Have used Raspberry as well, it was tasty.

Ingredients
1 ½ cups, 12 oz., apricot preserves
½ cup water
2 tsp. lemon juice
½ tsp. salt
½ tsp. nutmeg
½ tsp. cinnamon
4 large sweet potatoes, peeled and cut length-wise into spears (~8 or more per) Mine are half inch wide sometimes but 1/4 inch thick. Got to be big enough to tong.

Cook
Preheat oven to 400

Bring preserves and water to boil in saucepan over medium heat, simmer 5 minutes. DO NOT OVERCOOK. If you do, toss it.

Remove from stove, add juice, salt, nutmeg and cinnamon

Spray oven pan or cover with tin foil and then spray, put sweets in single layer, baste potatoes with half the sauce (it will be less than half). I only cover the tops to reduce sticking to the pan.

Bake 40 minutes, until fork tender, flipping and basting again halfway through. If I have extra sauce I might brush the tops at third time at the end.

Feb '16

strangerdanger - "Hooahh, tango on!". Bring on the sides! And maybe some deserts?

DannyC DannyC
Feb '16

I see that patricia has started a new thread for deserts. Here is one simple dish from grandma that can be made both savory and sweet: pizza fritta. Make or buy pizza dough, roll to 1/4 inch thickness, cut into 4 inch rounds, fry 3 minutes per side in olive oil, then drain well on paper towels. For savory, top with tomato sauce and cheeses. For sweet, drizzle honey, sprinkle with chopped nuts and powdered sugar, plus possibly Hersey's bits or M&M's for the kids. Ricotta makes both dishes special, as a soft, flavorful cheese in the savory, and making the sweet dish taste like cannoli.

DannyC DannyC
Feb '16

I was gonna order pizza tonight.Hard to find a good pizza these days.So I ran to the store bought some pizza dough and made my own.I made sicilian pie tonight.Lg. frying pan some olive oil ,1 crushed tomato sauce oregano salt pepper whatever spices you want,Cooked over low heat.Rolled out dough into rectangle. Oiled my pan.Lay down the dough carefully.Spread gravy add cheese oregano salt pepper and grated cheese.
Preheat oven 425 to 450
When almost done take pizza off pan and finish it on rack for crispiness.
For the adults I add sausage pepperoni mushrooms onions peppers what ever you want.

patricia patricia
Feb '16

Patricia, one of my great failings in life is that I have yet to make pizza completely from scratch. That said, one of the cardinal rules that I've always heard is that pizza sauce needs to be "raw" not cooked. Just a suggestion...

ianimal ianimal
Feb '16

Patricia that looks fantastic! I think I'm going to try making it over the weekend.

positive positive
Feb '16

I agree fresh dough is the best,and thin crust.I use english muffins to for the kids to.Very hard to find good pizza these days.Either under cooked or over cooked,not enough cheese.The best thing 4dollars a pizza.

patricia patricia
Feb '16

Patricia and ianimal - IMHO, dough prep is the key to pizza, fresh is the best, and the thinner the better, otherwise it's just tasteless bread. After the first rising, coat your hands with olive oil, then knead and pull the ends around to the back to shape into a ball. The outside of the dough should be smooth and seamless. Let it rise again until it doubles in size. Now comes the skill and the fun: Punch down the dough to a 12 inch diameter disk. Flatten and spin, yes, up in the air. Spin until dough is 1/8 inch thick everywhere, even on the ends. If the dough is fully cured, it should not break, but it will be like a wet undershirt to handle. Patience and practice rules. 18 inch diameter by 1/8 inch thickness is perfect. I think you will find that any toppings will be best on this pie. You cannot buy this pizza anywhere around here. Bayonne is where to buy it, or just make it yourself.

DannyC DannyC
Feb '16

Danny. What pizzeria in Bayonne? My neice lives there and we just had Grandmas pizza from Pizza Masters ( I think that was the name of the place). It was delicious, wonderful crust.

Bessie Bessie
Feb '16

Bessie - Enrico's for one, but all the pizza joints compete for which one makes the thinnest pie..

DannyC DannyC
Feb '16

1pound of bacon
1pk beef cocktail weiners
3/4c brown sugar
Preheat oven 325
Refrigerate bacon.Cut bacon in half.
Its easier to wrap when its cold.Wrap each weiner with bacon and secure with toothpick.Put on baking sheet sprinkle with brown sugar all over.Bake about 35 to 40 min.until sugar is bubbly and bacon crisp.

patricia patricia
Feb '16

At the bottom of the plate is my OJ-Pecan Butternut Bowl, a little trickier to make. Over time I have learned to take the Butternut, cut off the neck for other recipes and use the “bowl” to make little wedges like on the plate. The four quarters method was not working because the portions were too big. And using the neck gave you something like serving spoon making it hard to sauce the neck portion. Wedges solved all that. Gotta admit, it looks pretty!

Small Butternut squash (about 1 lb.)
¼ cup brown sugar
¼ cup honey
2 tbsp. butter
2 tbsp. OJ
2 tbsp. chopped pecans
Cooking spray

Cook
Preheat oven to 375

Cut squash into 4 quarters (or wedges), discard seeds, etc.

Micro 5-10 minutes skin-side down, covered, until somewhat tender

Bring to boil sugar, honey, butter and oj, stirring. Do not overcook.

Reduce heat to low, simmer 2-3 minutes until it starts to thicken, If you overcook, toss and start again. Remove from heat, add pecans

Spray an oven dish or put tin foil in and spray. Fork the squash, but don’t pierce the skin like tenderizing a steak to better sauce penetration. Sauce the squash, bake about 10 minutes until you can fork it.

Feb '16

Hmm, more preserves... This one is not in the picture and I cut the donuts in half, crescent moon shapes before serving to make them small portions. Certainly a fun one and looks classy.

Caramelized Acorn Squash

Ingredients
2 medium to large acorn squash
2 tbsp. butter, melted in the pan
2 tbsp. marmalade,
2 tbsp. brown sugar

Cook
Preheat oven to 350

Fork a few times and micro squash 5 – 6 minutes until skin starts to soften, cool a bit

Carefully cut off ends with serrated knife, cut 1 inch donut slices (about 3-4 per), remove seeds, brush both sides with butter and bake 30 minutes. Be careful, squash will be delicate and prone to breakage.

Mix marmalade and sugar in small bowl with fork, brush over squash, bake 10 minutes

Flip very carefully, brush, and bake 10 more minutes or until squash tender

Feb '16

Danny...thanks for the name, will have to ask my neicevif shes ever ordered from them.

Bessie Bessie
Feb '16

OK, those were the glazes, we still have the mashes, the bakes, and the tosses. I will leave you with one more, let me know if you would like a few more. We still have not finished the plate! This is a toss where you basically toss the vege's in either herbs or a dressing and then bake them. Prepping the veges is the harder part of this one: Roasted Turnip, Potato and Apple Hash. Warning, sure it has apples but its going to be a bit spicy. In the picture, it's peeking out from under the Turkey..... If modifying, I tend towards more turnips and apples. Also, I use those little new potatoes. More expensive, but worth it to me since I don't peel them.

4 cups cubed turnips
4 cups (5 medium) potatoes (Yukon Gold)
2 apples, cubed
1 onion, diced
3 tbsp. olive oil
2 garlic cloves, chopped
1.5 tsp fresh rosemary, chopped
1 tsp cayenne pepper
Salt n pepper to taste

Cook
Preheat oven to 425

Combine veges in bowl

Mix olive oil, garlic, rosemary, cayenne, and salt/pepper in sauce bowl, add to veges and toss to cover

Place on prepared baking pan, bake for 1 hour, flipping half way

Feb '16

Danny --- your vegan daughter will love you if you make her baked tofu.
Shoprite has it on sale this week too -- 99c for a 1 lb. package.

Baked Tofu

1 lb. firm or extra firm tofu
3-4 Tb. soy sauce
1-2 minced garlic cloves
1 Tb. fresh grated ginger
1 Tb. sesame oil
1 Tb. rice vinegar
1-2 tsp. honey or sugar (optional)
1 Tb olive oil

Drain tofu well and cut into 1 inch cubes. Mix all ingredients except olive oil. Pour marinade over tofu and cover. Refrigerate overnight or longer.

Lightly grease baking pan or sheet with olive oil. Arrange tofu in single layer on sheet -- making sure not to forget the garlic & ginger pieces from the marinade dish.
Bake at 350 about 1 hour, flipping tofu at least once, until brown & slightly crispy.

I also like to sometimes cut the tofu in rectangles about 1/2 to 3/4 inch thick and use in sandwiches. Just cut straight down the tofu block and the pieces are sandwich size.

happiest girl
Feb '16

happiest girl - Jen says she HATES tofu, but your recipe looks good enough to give a try, and will do. Thanks.

DannyC DannyC
Feb '16

Let me know if she likes it, Danny.

happiest girl
Feb '16

Danny, did your daughter ever try Loving Hut in Ledgewood? Great vegan food and you would never even know you're eating tofu.

positive positive
Feb '16

positive - Loving Hut is "under new management" and shows nothing on the menu section of their web site. Not trekking out there for an unknown. Working on veggie puffs wrapped in filo. Vegan, tried and true finger food, and everybody loves them.

DannyC DannyC
Feb '16

Vegetable Medley
2tbls olive oil
4c frozen cubed hash brown potatoes thawed
2c chopped fresh broccoli florets
1med.size red bell pepper chopped
1med.onion chopped
3/4tsp salt
1/2 black peeper
2c sliced fresh mushrooms
lg.eggs poached depends on how many you want to make
In lg.skillet heat oil over med. heat.Add potatoes,broccoli,bell pepper onion salt black pepper.Cook until potatoes start to brown stir occasionally.
Add mushrooms and cook until tender.Mix altogether.
Spoon onto plate and top with poached eggs.

patricia patricia
Feb '16

patricia,

Nice breakfast dish. My daughter has backed off from eating fully vegan and will eat poached eggs. Making this tomorrow morning, adding sautéed zucchini, artichoke hearts and fresh herbs, using fresh Yukon gold potatoes, boiled then browned in olive oil with onions, but not frozen. The eggs should be poached until the whites are firm, but the yokes are still creamy. Veggie and egg enriched hash browns, a full breakfast dish. Thanks.

DannyC DannyC
Feb '16

Nothing beats using fresh potatoes but latley i been trying to find short cuts having having 4 kids sometimes it tough every minute counts these days.Im trying a new dip out.Swiss Onion Spread
1package frozen onions thawed and drained could use fresh ones
2 1/2 c shredded swiss cheese
1c mayo
1tbls Dijon mustard
1/8 black pepper

Preheat oven325
Coat a 9in pan with cooking spray.
In large bowl combine all ingredients,mix well and spoon into plate.
Bake for 25 to 30 min.or until golden and heated through.

Got some crackers and pumpernickel bread to go with it.

patricia patricia
Feb '16

patricia - Hmmm, very interesting. All I can suggest is to use parchment paper for an easier clean-up.

DannyC DannyC
Feb '16

Tonite the kids want left overs mac and meatballs.So I got some italian bread cut it down the middle scoop some bread out make it like a boat mix mac and meat ball together and scoop it in bread agg grated cheese some mozz over it and put in oven.Maybe your daughter do all kinds of veggies in it toast it up something different than on a plate

patricia patricia
Feb '16

patricia - sounds like you have your hands full with four hungry kids. Sorry, I have recently looked at dishes that are high quality without regard for prep time, which I have plenty of, being semi-retired. I'll try to find some quick prep dishes for you in the future. Hang in there.

DannyC DannyC
Feb '16

patricia,

I must repeat that thin chicken cutlets can be fast food. I just butchered and sliced 24 cutlets (4 lbs. on sale at Weis at $1.79/lb.) in less than 30 minutes. I'll start to cook them at 6 PM, taking about 45 minutes, so that they will be warm at kickoff time. Bear in mind, that is 24 cutlets, which can be frozen, but not tonight. I also pre-made a dozen filo and spinach spring rolls for my vegan daughter. They were not much trouble to make either: 10 minutes of prep, 10 minutes of cooking. I like them, too. Working on various tasty sauces and dips in my spare time. Have fun and enjoy the game.

DannyC DannyC
Feb '16

My treat for the game is a doz, steamed little neck clams dipped in Clarified Garlic Butter with squirt of lemon.

Old Gent Old Gent
Feb '16

Old Gent - Oh, one very fine fast food treat for the game...Enjoy!

DannyC DannyC
Feb '16

Yum... Thanks for some delicious ideas! I don't know which one to try first! Thanks, everyone for your contributions!!!

Happy Housewife Happy Housewife
Feb '16

DannyC --

Have you ever used Black Vinegar ? I'm wondering if you are familiar with it's taste properties and how it could be used in vegetarian food.

I will share something I just discovered about Ume Plum Vinegar --- it has a "fish" property.
I just made wonderful *mock tuna salad* by adding it to smashed chick peas.

happiest girl
Feb '16

No one wanted more of those exotic vegetables so here's the mac n cheese I mentioned earlier. Really good one to use up a lot of eggs fast. You can freeze one casserole but I suggest defrosting before baking. The more eggs, the more soufflé-like it becomes. This is a Joy of Cooking adaptation. There's lots of optionals and I am sure you can come up with a few yourself. Just remember, you don't have a lot of extra room!

You basically are cooking your mac n cheese in a soufflé batter which increases the protein (and fat) while reducing the carbs by 50%. It makes a lot however with two teens I usually bake both versus freezing one. Seems to disappear.

You will need huge measuring cup or pitcher. I use 2 quart cup, but you just need to hold liquids and to be able to divide in half. You will need 2 2.5 quart casserole dishes, covered, tin foil or lid, may want to freeze one later. If you use foil pan, BE SURE to have flat baking pan underneath.

Ingredients
16oz macaroni
about 2 lbs. shredded Cheddar cheese.  I have used less
4- 8 eggs, I lean toward 5 or 6, but depends on how many I have around.
1 can evaporated milk, then close to 1 can of water (less for richer)
1/2 teaspoon paprika (optional)
a few grains cayenne (optional but good)
4 pimento's (optional)
1 cup chopped green peppers (I only use a small bit, no where near a cup, can use parsley)
4 tablespoons grated onion (I just put a little dry chopped onion in) 

Cook

Preheat oven to 350

Cook macaroni

Blend milk and eggs in measuring cup (or bowl), mix well

Divide Mac and then cheese into two dishes, mix a bit
Divide milk mixture into two dishes, mix some more (since eggs can sink to the bottom, I usually pour in quarters so each casserole equal share of the last 50%.

Add spices, tomatoes and mix final

Bake 40 minutes. I bake one at a time so not sure what to do if trying two at once. Let stand a few minutes for mac n cheese to firm up before serving.

Feb '16

happiest girl -

The closest to black vinegar that I have used is balsamic, sweet and delicious in salad dressing. Not a Chinese cook, but willing to learn. Thanks for the tip and your chick peas recipe.

DannyC DannyC
Feb '16

strangerdanger -

Looks good, as a delish soufflé and mac-and-cheese dish. Need that protein! Thanks.

DannyC DannyC
Feb '16

patricia -

I confess to using store bought filo dough to make spring rolls with spinach, roasted red peppers, lemon grass and other veggies. Fast prep, fast fried in canola oil.

happiest girl -

I made a dip for the spring rolls using Chinese black vinegar and hot mustard. Hot, hot, hot, but also made a celery cream sauce to counter the burn. Good stuff.

FYI,
http://www.thekitchn.com/whats-the-difference-between-phyllo-and-puff-pastry-word-of-mouth-219133

DannyC DannyC
Feb '16

Has anyone used a pressure cooker ?making pot roast this weekend I bought it a while time to take it out of box.Never used one before.Any recipes out there do like a thick gravy want to try something different.Im sure you have one DannyC.

patricia patricia
Feb '16

patricia - Do a Forum Search. There's a whole thread on pressure cookers.

Dad's Brisket

1 beef brisket or chuck roast
1 can of jellied cranberry sauce
1 envelope of onion soup mix

Mix cranberry sauce with onion soup mix and spread all over beef. Cover pan with aluminum foil and bake for 3 hours in a 350° oven.

Do not remove the foil before 3 hours.

This is one of the most delicious beef recipes I've ever had and a family favorite. So good with homemade mashed potatoes. I have also done it in the crockpot and it came out fantastic. Enjoy! :)

Jules Jules
Feb '16

patricia -

GC is right about forum posts on pressure cookers, for info and recommendations. But IMHO, for pot roast, comparing pressure cookers, slow cookers and Dutch ovens, the hands down winner is the Dutch oven. It takes two hours to cook, but if you sear the roast, deglaze with red wine, put it on the raised bottom plate, add potatoes, carrots, onions, herbs, it is then as effortless as a slow cooker, and the resultant gravy is fantastic.

Jules -

Yet another option: baked. Sounds good, especially using brisket, such a flavorful cut, with cranberries! Trying it.

DannyC DannyC
Feb '16

Made a tasty pot roast with all the trimmings on Sunday. Great left-overs for three days. How did yours come out? The next big holiday is St. Patty's day, an occasion to make corned beef, cabbage, potatoes and other veggies in the Dutch oven or slow cooker. It always comes out right, with the right herbs.

In the near-term interim, Italian comfort food: Baked ziti, meatballs, sausage, eggplant-zucchini rollatini, antipasto, and crusty home made bread, with tiramisu for dessert. Next week, German cuisine: Sauerbraten, Weiner Schnitzel Holstein, potato pancakes, red cabbage, baked apples, with black forest cake for dessert. It's all good.

Any other ideas?

DannyC DannyC
Feb '16

A few guidelines for fast-food burgers and fries:

Burgers:
(1) Not too thick. Under 1/4 lb. per burger, pounded down to 1/4 inch thick.
(2) Season both sides with sea salt and fresh ground pepper only.
(3) Melt 1 teaspoon butter and add 1 teaspoon olive oil.
(4) Fry covered, 4 minutes/side for medium. TURN ONLY ONCE, let it sear.

Fries:
(1) Peel white Idaho potatoes, slice to 1/4 inch thick, about 1/2 inch wide.
(2) Fry single layer in olive oil for 5 minutes, turn, then fry until golden brown.
(3) Drain well on paper towels.
(4) Season with sea salt and fresh ground pepper.

Now all you need is ketchup and maybe some pickles. Simple and quick enough?

DannyC DannyC
Feb '16

Southern Burger: a South Carolina classic, these are meant to be messy.

Basic Burger (better grilled with some Worchester, but it's winter so pan-fried will do)
Bacon (optional but highly recommended less you want to be called damn yankee)
Chili (beanless)
Cheese, sharp is better
Coleslaw
Mustard, yellow please, none of that fancy smancy bagel biting NYC crap
Mayo (Duke's if your a purist and can get the stuff)

It's proper to make all this stuff from scratch yet hey, it's the new millennium and we all lower ourselves to store bought chili and coleslaw and nobody round here is slaughtering hogs.....

OK, the important part, like many recipes, is the construction. It's paramount to get this right. You must place the ingredients in the right order or be darned, flavor-wise that is. It's mustard spread on the bottom bun. Then the burger and cheese, hopefully melted together. Then chili. Then coleslaw. And top with bacon, three slices wide please. Finally, spread some mayonnaise of the top bun and crown that sucker king of the burgers.

I would say voila, but that's just not Southern :>)

Feb '16

I have some Hot Italian Beef going in the slow cooker. Have to pick up some rolls on the way home. Can't wait for dinner. It's really easy: rump roast, dry red wine, italian seasoning, red pepper flake,sliced onions, beef stock. Started it on low this morning. I also put some green and red bell pepper slices in.

I also just saw something about German Mac 'n Cheese, made with Spaetzle. Definitely going to have to try that. Looked like they made basic cheese sauce, added it to sauteed spaetzle, then finished it in the oven with another layer of swiss melted on top. Can add bacon too. Can't believe I've never heard of this.

MeisterNJ MeisterNJ
Feb '16

The only reason to make corned beef, IMO, is to have the main ingredient for corned beef hash. Never been a big fan of plain old corned beef. Hash? Now you're talkin'.

DannyC, so you made pot roast, and are planning German pot roast. That's a lot of pot roast!

MeisterNJ MeisterNJ
Feb '16

strangerdanger - Sounds like an awesome burger, but not complicated, and still fast food.

MeisterNJ - Mouth-watering hot Italian beef in the slow cooker. Tell me how it turns out. I agree, corned beef makes the BEST hash, but I also like it just like it is, as long as you use the best beef, herbs, spices, and cook the hell out of it. Never too much pot roast, but next time it will be sauerbraten, the main splurge being Weiner Schnitzel Holstein. Adding spaetzle to the German menu next week. Made it once before and my grandsons loved it, sprinkled on potato pancakes with applesauce. Hmmmm, now thinking about gnocchi as an addition to the Italian menu.

DannyC DannyC
Feb '16

Slow Cooker Turkey Chili (I just made this.. its very good!)

This slow cooker recipe is easy to make and feeds a crowd! Plus, it's healthy too!
Yield: Serves 8-10
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 4-6 hours

Ingredients:
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 lb 99% lean ground turkey
1 medium onion, diced
1 red pepper, chopped
1 yellow pepper, chopped
2 (15 oz) cans tomato sauce
2 (15 oz) cans petite diced tomatoes
2 (15 oz) cans black beans, rinsed and drained
2 (15oz) cans red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
1 (16 oz) jar deli-sliced tamed jalapeno peppers, drained
1 cup frozen corn
2 tablespoons chili powder
1 tablespoon cumin
Salt and black pepper, to taste

Optional toppings: green onions, shredded cheese, avocado, sour cream/Greek yogurt

Directions:
1. Heat the oil in a skillet over medium heat. Place turkey in the skillet, and cook until brown. Pour turkey into slow cooker.

2. Add the onion, peppers, tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, beans, jalapeños, corn, chili powder, and cumin. Stir and season with salt and pepper.

3. Cover and cook on High for 4 hours or low for 6 hours. Serve with toppings, if desired.

Note-we use a 6 quart slow cooker

darlughh darlughh
Feb '16

Being part Irish with many relatives and way too many gifts of Bushmills, I can say the only way to eat corned beef and cabbage is in a Reuben --- you got your corned beef and you got your cabbage (kraut). It's the best way to celebrate St. Patty's with traditional Irish fare.

Feb '16

My favorite way to eat corned beef is braised in white wine then sliced thin over green bean dijonnaise and boiled potatoes. Second best is crock pot in Guinness. This year, I'm going to try in Man Skirt Porter.

Ok, two ways. I do like a corned beef reuben.

darlughh, try adding a little Worcestershire sauce to that recipe and now you're talking. That's my secret chili ingredient.

We make a similar chicken chili recipe (diced, not ground chicken). Definitely delicious.

MeisterNJ MeisterNJ
Feb '16

darlughh - HoooWaaa That is one wild chili! Who would know it has turkey instead of beef? Worchester always works in chili, just not too much (1 TBSP max) lest it will only taste like Worchester sauce.

strangerdanger, GC & MeisterNJ - Reubens are great for the day after St. Patty's. But on the holiday, fresh cooked is best. Braised in white wine AND Guiness...ha! you guys have the right ideas! Slice everything thin, including seasoned potatoes, and smother with that fine wine-beer gravy. But save some gravy for tomorrow's reubens, schemered with the best mustard you can find, on good thick sliced rye bread. After a breakfast of corned beef hash, diced potatoes and spicy vegs topped with poached eggs, of course.

DannyC DannyC
Feb '16

Hamburgers tonight.First I get some onions slice them up put them in a pan.1/2c of mayo 2tbls of ketchup 1/2tbls horse radish mustard and one gerkin pickle chop it up into pieces
add to mixture and mix.Chek on the onions wait for them to be golden brown.I get my bacon line it up on baking pan and put in the oven.Im gonna take some bacon and chopp it up cause im gonna make salad wedges.I cut my lettuce in 6pieces I do like romaine better but this time im using iceberg.My dressing 11/2c of butter milk 2tbls of mayo slice up some green onions 1/3of sour cream 2cloves of minced garlic chopped parsley celery seed garlic powder some salt mix everything in bowl .Put lettuce wedges on plate pour dressing over it chop up tomatoes slice some purple onion bacon and then some chives.My burgers salt pepper wishashere sauce not sure of the spelling of that one but its close mix dont over work the meat then it gets tough got some blue chees chunks poke a hloe in the burger and stuff the cheese in it then flatten and make patty.Putting them on the grill nothing like a grilled burger.Im gonna grill the buns so they get toasty.Now we put these babies together .First i get my carmelized onions on burger then lettuce avacodo if you like crispy bacon and my ranch dressing on top.Get my salad wedges .Now that is happiness.

patricia patricia
Feb '16

"But save some gravy for tomorrow's reubens, schemered with the best mustard you can find, on good thick sliced rye bread." Mustard on Reuben's? Oh the horror of it all. I hope you were thinking Hot Pastrami which I had last week and it was excellent.

The perfect Reuben is all about construction again with kraut, corned beef, swiss, thousand island, and rye. First start grilling the kraut (you can avoid this, but a purist will grill the kraut. Then butter the rye, put some swiss down, beef, dressing, kraut, some more swiss, and then top it. Grill till golden brown.

Make sure to use enough dressing to be a bit messy. Got to be messy.

Variations

Try chicken or turkey white with either kraut or coleslaw. The rest remains the same.

Feb '16

patricia - Over the top burgers. Ah, horseradish mustard, butter milk, sour cream, garlic, bacon, etc. over iceberg lettuce. You know what you are doing.

strangerdanger - Yes, mustard on Reubens, or call them something else if you like, basically St. Patty's Day leftovers. Like spicy mustard taste, and don't need the fat or sweetness of thousand island dressing. Swiss, kraut and coleslaw are all keepers, though. Also like your prep and cooking recommendations. This would go very well with fully loaded mac-and-cheese, right?

DannyC DannyC
Feb '16

I'm a spicy mustard guy on Reubens as well. Thousand Island dressing is just gross, lol. I'm not putting ketchup on corned beef (or ketchup on sauerkraut, for that matter)... I don't care if it's mixed with mayonnaise and sweet relish; I still know it's there.

ianimal ianimal
Feb '16

Do you put ketchup on your BBQ items ianimal?

MeisterNJ MeisterNJ
Feb '16

Which barbecue items are those? Brisket and ribs, never... dry rub only.

ianimal ianimal
Feb '16

BBQ chicken? I ask because if you put BBQ sauce on them, the base of it is usually ketchup. So, essentially, yes, you are putting ketchup on it, by your Thousand Island analogy.

MeisterNJ MeisterNJ
Feb '16

Last I checked, chicken wasn't corned beef or sauerkraut, lol. If I put barbecue sauce on chicken, does that mean I should like ketchup on corn flakes?

ianimal ianimal
Feb '16

ianimal - Are you seriously saying you DON'T put Heinz 57 on corn flakes? To quote cbel "For such a smart guy you're an idiot". ;-)

OK, so to each his own. Personally if it's not Russian, it's not a Reuben. So i do call it something else but also understand. Mustard is a good condiment for both corned beef and pastrami as well as going well with the kraut. But then I wouldn't go for the Swiss if I used mustard. I like a real Reuben, plenty of Russian (not Thousand Island either because I believe in a pickle on the *side* not in the sandwich), but light on the kraut. But then I like plain mayo on roast beef. Not so much with either pastrami (enjoy the flavor without any condiments at all) or corned beef (where the brining just conflicts and mustard is better). But then yet again, my favorite of all with roast beef is creamy horseradish.

Fresh horseradish only. Even Gold's loses it after opening and a few days in the fridge.

DannyC DannyC
Feb '16

i get some butter nut squash and cube them so their the same size.Put them in the oven they get carmelized and edges get brown.little olive oil to cover it salt and pepper.Layer it evenly on baking dish.put on 425 .For 30 min or so depends on oven.Go back and turn them so both sides are carmelized.Take out of oven put on the side.Get 2 cartons of veg.broth Warm up broth you can use chick. broth if you want.Take 2 shallots and chop them up,In another pan put oil and shallots and 3 cloves of garlic chopped,Salt and pepper.11/2c of boreo rice put in pan with shallots garlicSlightly toasting the rice now add a little white wineWait for it to evaporate.Now add some broth a lattle at a time and stir.Add more when it evaporates.Keep doing it till there is no stock left keep stirring.Add the squash Salt pepper gently mix.Ikeep a little squash on the side to put on top after I mix.That is my Squash Risotto.

patricia patricia
Feb '16

Patricia- nice! I will try this .thanks for vegetarian recipe.

A good day
Feb '16

Chop up onions put in pan some oil.2c of cherry tomatoes cup them in half .Cook orzos.Let cool.Add tomatoes to orzos
when onions are done in pan pour into bowl with orzos and tomatoes
the oil from the onoins is whats gonna coat the salad,Add 4 ears of fresh cooked corn and skin it off cobb.Fold it all together add some lemon zest.Fold in some arrugula and mix.Put it on plate add some lemon oil and grate some parm cheese.

patricia patricia
Feb '16

patricia - I have made spaghetti squash with similar ingredients: shallots, garlic, etc., but butternut squash is much sweeter, and your rice prep sounds like the best way to go, especially toasting the rice with a little white wine. Thanks, I'll try it. A bit of work, care and patience, like any risotto, right? That's OK, cooking is a labor of love, and it's great to get the kids involved, too.

Plus your latest idea: Fried onions, cherry tomatoes, corn and orzo over arugula, with lemon and parmesan. A fine salad. All I might add is fresh, finely chopped basil and flat-leaf parsley, just as a garnish. Thanks again.

DannyC DannyC
Feb '16

Frittata1tbls of oil 1c chopped up red pepper 2chopped up shallots1/2tsp dry thyme some dry oregano pinch of red pepper flakessalt pepper in pan.Get 10 eggs and break them up in bowl 3tbls of heavy cream Now mix.
when pepper mixture is done put in bowl.In same pan add some olive oil add enough oil so egg dont stick get oil around the side of pan to.Pour in egg on med.Let egg cook for a few sec. then add pepper mix make sure mix is evenly in egg.Dont cook it all the way because you put it in the broiler.Put 4 ounces of goat cheese on top.1/4c parm. cheese on top.Take out put on plate add some fresh parsley.Remember make sure your frying pan can handle high heat.Enjoy

patricia patricia
Feb '16

This week it was Beef Lentil and Manhattan Clam chowder in the freezer.

Old Gent Old Gent
Feb '16

Grilled Veggie Sandwich
1/4c mayo
3 cloves of garlic minced
1tbls lemon juice
1/8c olive oil
1c sliced red pepper
1 small zucchini sliced
1 red onion sliced
1 small yellow squash
1 italian bread
1/2 feta cheese
In bowl mix mayo,garlic,lemon juice.Set aside in fridge.Preheat grill to high heat.Brush veggies with olive oil each side.Place on grill.Cook about 3 min.turn for another 3.Peppers might take longer.Get bread slice in half and put mayo mixture on it and sprinkle some feta cheese.Place on grill cheese side up cover with lid so it warms up and melts cheese .Remove from grill and layer veggies.Enjoy open faced sandwich.

patricia patricia
Feb '16

Penne and Spinach with Feta
Forgot I found this recipe a while ago so easy to make.
Penne pasta
2tbls olive oil
3c chopped tomatoes
10 ounce fresh spinach washed and chopped
8 ounce tomatoe basil feta cheese
salt pepper
1 clove minced garlic
Cook pasta.Drain.Heat oil in lg. pan.Add tomatoes spinach garlic for 2 mins. until spinach is wilted and mixture is throughly heated.Add pasta and cheese cook i minute.Add salt pepper.

patricia patricia
Feb '16

patricia -

Sorry to have not responded to your recent recipe submittals. Got sidetracked by political threads, which at this point are pitifully hopeless. Also, do you have any substitutes for goat cheese and feta in your dishes? Made several vegan dishes for my daughter, including a variant of your butternut squash risotto, a big hit, even with the grandsons. Still cooking roasts, having mastered sauerbraten, in the Dutch oven for the rest of us.

DannyC DannyC
Feb '16

patricia -

Don't forget spicy red cabbage, plus sweet baked apples and pears with cinnamon to go with the sauerbraten. Fresh made spaetzel and/or latkas as well, if you have the time and the ambition. Only a couple more pots and pans.

Looking forward to corned beef, brisket, cabbage, potatoes, etc. for St Patty's day, and all those great hash leftovers for the days after. Real ambition would be needed to make stuffed cabbage, (rice, sauce, etc.), but even better.

What are your ideas?

DannyC DannyC
Feb '16

This is a winter favorite. Enjoy!

Potato-Mushroom Chowder

1/2 lb mushrooms
2 Tb. butter
1 onion, chopped
2 c. diced potatoes (or more)
1 c. water
2 c. milk
1/4 c. sherry or dry white wine
2 c. sour cream
1/4 tsp. thyme leaves
dash cloves, mace, salt & white pepper
garnish optional: chopped parsley

Coarsely chop mushrooms. Melt butter is large saucepan. Saute mushrooms & onion 3 to 4 minutes. Add potatoes and water. Bring to boil. Cover and cook 10 min. or until potatoes are tender. Add milk. Mix sherry into sour cream and stir into soup. Heat but do not bring to full boil. Add spices.

happiest girl
Oct '16

I smoked a brisket yesterday. It was much better than my first attempt last year, but still not perfect. I'm zeroing in, though, lol.

ianimal ianimal
Oct '16

HG: saw your p-word soup, look nice. Here's mine, a bit different, I might merge some of yours like the shrooms and the wine....

Ingredients
1 ¼ cup oil (this is where the warmth comes from, I use way less, zero sometimes)

Chopped/Diced/Sliced: 2 cups onions, 1 cup carrots, 1 cup celery, 6 medium potatoes

2tsp salt
1 tbsp. marjoram (first time I used margarine, that was funny)
1 tsp..  dill seed
1 tsp.. caraway seed
1/2 tsp.. paprika (optional, I leave it out, turns the soup darker in color)
Some milk

Wash and dirty-peel and cube potatoes (get some skin off, ugly stuff, but I leave a lot a skin on)

Sauté onion, carrots, celery in oil in soup pan to the point of being less crisp, but do not brown. Can add potatoes too. I add the potatoes at the end of the sauté, probably cooked only for a minute or two and then add the water and spices.  Just speeds the boiling time.

Add water (to cover) and spices. 

Cook as hard as you want for at least 20 minutes at a good boiling clip.  You can then mash the potatoes in the pan a bit to see that that were soft, probably don’t mash to much, just cook more if not soft

Add milk to color or more for creamier.  Done or let simmer.

If you use too much oil, you will see it, just turn it off and when it cools a bit, skim the extra oil off. You can play with the spices.  We use dill weed, not seed.  Just don't like the seeds although we did not notice the caraway seeds, just the taste.  Smells a bit dillllly, but really tastes good. Last time I skipped the oil and the sautéing; turned out great still.

Oct '16

Made cavattelli and broccoli with lots of garlic sautéed in olive oil tonight, but decided to kick it up a notch and added sliced Italian sausage to it. Glad I did..what a difference.

My next venture will be lentil soup with Italian sausage.

positive positive
Nov '16

Anyone have something decent to do with white pumpkins? I'd spent my entire life, happily enough, without ever being the owner of one. This year, I find myself with not one, but three of them. I assume that they can be used similar to other pumpkins, but they would make an epically unappetizing looking pie, for instance.

ianimal ianimal
Nov '16

You can do a pumpkin soup and/or throw some pieces in the woods for the deer.

Also from what I read the flavor and nutritional value is pretty much the same as an orange pumpkin and supposedly the inside is not white, but orangey (if that's a word).

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/9191/pumpkin-soup/

Just a thought..you can always add sweet potatoes to give your recipe a more orangey look.

positive positive
Nov '16

positive, I love cavatelli and broccoli!

Tracy Tracy
Nov '16

I make an Italian sausage soup. Very quick to make. Just brown as much bulk Italian sausage as you want (at least 1and 1/2 pounds, but could be more for a heartier soup).
Sautee onion and garlic in olive oil, add to browned sausage. Pour in 1 can of beef stock, and a jar of spaghetti sauce. Then add your choice of vegetables. I use 1 red and 1 green pepper, carrots, 1 can of cannaloni beans and a zuchini. Simmer till veggies are done. If you like you can also add your choice of any soup pasta, but we like it with a nice loaf of Italian bread. It's almost thick enough to eat with a fork.

Parental Unit Parental Unit
Nov '16

"supposedly the inside is not white, but orangey"

Duh... yeah, that makes sense. Reminds me of some "locker room talk" that I'll spare you from, lol.

Thanks. Chalk it up to an early onset "adult moment". I'm sure it won't be the last...

ianimal ianimal
Nov '16

Thanks for sparing me ian..even though I immediately got the visual. Lol!

Tracy, I've always loved Cavatelli and broccoli..so simple, but so good.

positive positive
Nov '16

ianimal, I have a favorite fall recipe called "Pumpkin Stuffed With Everything Good." Buy a cooking pumpkin (one that's a tan color, not an orange jack o lantern one since those have no taste) and cut a hole in the top and dump out the guts. Inside, I add sausage, apples, day-old crusty bread like sourdough, cheese (I like cheddar), heavy cream, and spices (thyme, s&p, a dash of nutmeg). Pop the top back on, PUT IT ON A BAKING SHEET (lol I have skipped this step and had a mess afterwards!) and bake at 350 for 2 hours. When serving, scrape the inside of the pumpkin with your serving spoon and get some pumpkin in with the rest of the serving. Hearty, delicious, and makes a great presentation.

honestyseasy honestyseasy
Nov '16

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.